Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Lolth free Skullport
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  13:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

What do you think the chances are that Qilue and her Ellistraee worshiping friends and the Vhaerun worshiping Dark Dagger would have purged the Lolth Worshiping Drow in Skullport during Lolths Silence?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  13:52:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in a city of crime it does appear posible that the Lolth devoted Clerics could be wiped out. However I do not see the good Drow taking control of the city, it could very well become a Vhaerun worshipping city.

White it would be nice if Eilistraee and Vhaerun followers be able to work together and share the city, that appears to be very unlikely. The two groups could work together for a common cause (oppose Lolth) but once that is good would have too many different concepts to be able to live in peace with each other.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  15:01:14  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my "Evil" campaign the Dark dagger and the party did enough damage to drive them out, but when I talked about it here, I got "Skulls should have done something" answers...

But, I couldn't resist the idea of the whole "spider-mansion" falling from the ceiling of the cavern. (Some part of it stay there and become a were-bat handout).

However, I dont believe in a even temporary alliance between Ellistraee and Vhaerun worshipers. IHMO, the former would not accept it.

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 Mar 2006 15:05:52
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  15:30:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people like to follow canon more so then others. Skullport like any city will have many power centers. It clearly is posible a power center could be wiped out in a home game. There again the power center might reconsitute itself (Drow are tricky) the Skulls become faced with deciding which power center is best for them.

Some might side with Lolth is hope of not becoming a sacifice and perfer healing from famales then males. Others might perfer to take a chance with thieves and murderers and do not mind being healed by males.

Once PCs start interacting in the city they can shift the balances of power. This depends on how well they interact with NPCs (making deals, killing them, robbing them, etc.) in the attempt to change the city. The DM interpertation of how the NPCs interact, what their goals are becomes the most important thing as to how well an effort will effect the nature of the city. The campaign starts with existing desceiption with many NPCs not even named that have unstated goals and abilities. These are the true source of power centers. Thus anything can happen, it though should make sense, RSE should be rare and justified.

An Elistraee city would be opposed by many of the underdark and also the Lords of Waterdeep (which perfer most of the crime not to be in the city and enjoy a trade relationship with Skullport that would be reduced [where would slaves come from?] if the good Drow controled it.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  16:55:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Eilistraee's followers would be as likely to go on the offensive. Vhaeraun's followers, on the other hand, would go on the offensive as soon as they realized mama Lolth had left the building.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  17:27:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think Eilistraee's followers would be as likely to go on the offensive. Vhaeraun's followers, on the other hand, would go on the offensive as soon as they realized mama Lolth had left the building.

Well there is the aspect that the Dark Ladies tend to work retail (one convert at a time) they are not adverse to establishing power centers like the Promanade or other good communities. So indeed it is posible that they would indeed attack Lolth Prestesses and seek to remove their influence.

Vhaeraun teaches woring wholesale (becoming a power center, not all ruled need to e followers, just followers should be in command), so it would follow that his followers would attack any weaken power center to make them more powerful leaders of a community.

The two groups working together for a common goal should be posible in limited cases, however such joint efforts would be limited. Evil and Good Drow will not do well side by side, however non Evil (even if not good) could be worked with to attack evil. The Dark Ladies would of course try to convert them, for that matter even try to redeem the evil Drow (Sin Eaters for example proves this) as long as not caught doing evil.

Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  19:11:19  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd venture a guess and say it wouldn't only be drow faiths combining to get rid of Lolth worshippers. Not all evil dieties like her or her worshippers so I would see small groups of Cyricists, Shar worshippers and the odd Banite working to get rid of her. Maybe not a formal alliance but definately a loose one.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  19:25:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno... Would the skulls allow it? I don't see them allowing a "war" amongst the faiths in Skullport.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Mar 2006 19:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  19:28:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is that as quick as the news got around, attack the weak, least they become strong again. I would think the Drow would be the quickest to figure it out and seek to further eraticate Lolthians.
It is not like Shar is going to send a telegram to her Priests and tell them Lolth is missing.

Edited by - Kentinal on 12 Mar 2006 19:55:44
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  19:54:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I dunno... Would the skulls allow it? I don't see them allowing a "war" amongst the faiths in Skullport.

War ? What war? Just a few assasinations of Lolth Prestesses could do the trick. Maybe a few more Drow then normal avialable for sale. Unless Skullport only has one Drow House in it, there always will be the House wars. The only difference would be Lolthian Houses would tend to lose more of them.

Eilitraee societies almost certainly would have a House stucture very simalar to other Drow. Those looking from the outside might see an Eilistraee community as being just one House because all the families are allied with each other, but in reality there clearly will be many Houses.

Of course the Skulls might not want to much disorder, perhaps, but their main concern would be about them not being attacked themselves. They being undead (at least so I infer so) fewer Clerics about increases their own poweer threat. This is not a proposal to take over leadership of Skullport, it is about getting rid of some Clerics that might random;y seize and citisen or visitor to cut out hreat in a live sacifice to increase their Priestly powers.

The Skulls would more likely perfer a religion free city then worry about a religious war causing discord. They clearly would not ban religion or openly aid a religious war to reduce religion, but odds are they would enjoy religions being reduced to a weak to non existant power base. Then all they need to worry about are the arcane spell caster being a danger to them.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  20:10:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still disagree and Dargoth did ask what we thought and so if you, Kentinal, want to disagree, fine, but please respect my opinion since he asked for our opinions.

Also the Skullport sourcebook clearly states that the Skulls do not allow religious "wars" in Skullport and they also do not allow places where religion is openly practiced and so any religion in Skullport is done in secret or not openly. Dargoth didn't ask about assassinations, he asked about the purging of Lloth followers, which means open "war" in Skullport.

So, any religious "wars" in Skullport would be ended, quickly, by the Skulls since the Eilistraee drow attacking the Lloth drow would be considered openly attacking other religous faiths.

Oh, and Kentinal, paladins and clerics have tried to turn the Skulls and such powers have been ignored by the Skulls and once that happened the Skulls decided to do away with said paladins and clerics.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Mar 2006 20:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  20:44:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But in no real sense would it be a religious war, it would be Drow fighting Drow. It would not be banners, troops and as indicated by you no public outcry of "kill the Priestess" (or any other public appeal condemning one religion over another). The Skulls keep religion repressed, but also keep an open city for reasons of trade. They care little about a lawful society because that would limited trade, except when themselves are in danger or the city they control is in danger (then laws matter, at least ones that protect their power).
All in all of course this is a matter of opinion, but would mostly depend on how the Lolthians wwere removed from the city. Execution of plan could very well not even be noticed by the Skulls. OTOH if 12,000 Drow invaded seeking to kill any that followed Lolth (not worring much about any that tried to stop them) indeed the Skulls would be concerned. Creatures die in the city everyday, trading companies raided from time to time. Power shifts must occur and shift all the time in such a lawless city. The Skulls should not care if Drow kills Drow, they should care when a Cleric demands that the city follow their deity or publicly calls for destruction of another religion. This would not happen.

Vhaeraun followers want to be in charge, but they clearly are willing to be puppet masters. They will not publicly call for a religious war against Lolth. They can not handle a full scale war that would result at such a call.

Eilistraee followers also would not seek a publicly declared war for the same last reason, their only interest in Skullport would be as a way station to the surface (and killing evil of course). Most Drow follow Lolth and even during her silence most of them would still follow orders of their Matrons. A fer hundred thousand Drow of Lolth being sent to Skullport to kill the followers of her children would concern the Skulls, but would concern the Eilistreeans and Vhaeraunites much more because they would die.

In part perhaps the discussion is moot in that public religion is not permitted in the first place, Lolth's influence in the city is small. Even finding out followers itself could be a problem.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  20:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the impression that the Skulls only care about violence in Skullport if it happans on the cities streets or in Public if Ellistraees worshipers could get inside the the Spider compound on the roof of Skullport without making to much of ruckus the Skulls probably wouldnt care.

Skullport would be one of the few places where the Ellistraee followers could take advantage of Lolths silence as there are worshipers of both deities in close quarters and the Ellistraees drow would have access to at least one Chosen of Mystra Qilue and its quite possiable that Qilue might call in a favour and get Laeral to help out to.

2 Chosen of Mystra/Elistraee and the Promenade drow

vs

House Karsoluthiyl and its priestesses (None of whom can cast spells)

I reckon theres a good chance that the good drow could wipe out/drive out the Lolth worshipers

Vhaeruns Dark Daggers would probably resort to Assasination

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  21:00:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,

I'm done. I've gave my opinion on why the Skulls would stop such an event and I tire of the arguement since my opinion is not being respected and someone decided that they wanted to argue with me about it.

If you want it to happen in your games, then enjoy. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Mar 2006 21:06:00
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill be interested to see if Steven S chimes in with an opinion the subject (See as how he wrote the Ask the Drow article)

At the risk at derailing my own thread..

Wouldnt it be an awesome if Steven did an article for Skullport in a format similar to Eds Crimmor article.....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  21:48:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I still disagree and Dargoth did ask what we thought and so if you, Kentinal, want to disagree, fine, but please respect my opinion since he asked for our opinions.

Also the Skullport sourcebook clearly states that the Skulls do not allow religious "wars" in Skullport and they also do not allow places where religion is openly practiced and so any religion in Skullport is done in secret or not openly. Dargoth didn't ask about assassinations, he asked about the purging of Lloth followers, which means open "war" in Skullport.

So, any religious "wars" in Skullport would be ended, quickly, by the Skulls since the Eilistraee drow attacking the Lloth drow would be considered openly attacking other religous faiths.

Oh, and Kentinal, paladins and clerics have tried to turn the Skulls and such powers have been ignored by the Skulls and once that happened the Skulls decided to do away with said paladins and clerics.

Nice Edit while I was typing reply to your unedited post.

Yes it is a matter of opinion and in part have touched on points about it being preceieved as a religious war. Lolth Houses because of laws would not be publicly so proclaimed (forbiddence of public didplays)and it would be a battle without religious trappings. As for how the war/battle would be conducted, hey we are talking about Drow here (which all know can never be trusted fully). How the "war" is conducted clearly will effect how much the Skulls would care about it. Yes an opinion that you disagree with and aparently refuse to respect. As far as Skulls being upset about Clerics and Paladins trying to turn them, that could be an indication that one might succeed or might be just a matter of too many showing up and disrupting their "lives".

Perhaps the biggest problem we have on this issue is how Drow fight wars in the first place. An invasion of Evermeet of course required many troops on the ground and one not fought in darkness of caves and tunnels. All elves (as sub-races) perfer ranged weapons and attacking from cover because of low strength and consitution for hand to hand combat. This of course does not mean individuals will shun hand to hand combat, some even refuse a bow or hand crossbow. Drow of course are more regarded as ambushers, however the fair folk have no problem with setting up a trap for an invading force either. Goals sought are more important then tactics used in many cases (though some tactis never justify the result). I will repeat what I said in my last post, It depends on how the Drow conflict is conducted as to if the Skulls would react to it. Yes this is my opinion. That Skulls do not like people trying to turn them could mean a few things. If they are imune to being turned it could become a torist trade (though deities might not like that idea and add to the mix) which includes betting on how long a Cleric or Paladin might live, it could be because a perfect 20 could actually succeed to some effect and they do not want anyweakness discovered (banning public temples and displays reduce the chance of a weakness being revealed), it could be something else like causes too much paper work.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  22:07:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

2 Chosen of Mystra/Elistraee and the Promenade drow

vs

House Karsoluthiyl and its priestesses (None of whom can cast spells)

I reckon theres a good chance that the good drow could wipe out/drive out the Lolth worshipers

Vhaeruns Dark Daggers would probably resort to Assasination

The bigger problem would be if forces could agree to work together, I see that as posible for limited reasons. The Skulls of course should not anoyed until such time their distrustion can be effected (Hmm two Chosen might not be able to do that, perhaps all Seven Sisters can not do that). A Dark Lady would be unlikely to agree to work in concert with an assasination plot. Allowing Evil to kill evil is fine, helping evil to kill evil far more a problem (selecting the lessor evil is aiding evil instead of distroying it).
As I said before in my posts and opinion it depends on how war would be fought. For the two groups to work together there also needs to be a stated plan (even if members of one group breaks the agreement by assasination which was preplanned) to kill evil without doing evil. It clearly should be a plan that will not upset the Skulls too much as well.

A Dark Lady clearly would be willing to allow the clothing of a Matron to be offered to Vhaeraun as long as she gets to burn the body as an offering to Eilistraee. The problem that exists is a deal that both sides can make and honor in such a way that they would not fight against each other because of tactics used.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  22:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qilue and Laeral could cast Teleport spells so the Ellistraee drow could step straight from the promenade ito inside House Karsoluthiyl so long as the fightings not in a public place

Each Flaming Skull is only a CR4 encounter and while a destroyed Flaming skull will come back it takes an Hour for it to reform

Edit in my orgional post the Should be an OR not a AND when it comes to Elistraees drow and the Dark Dagger I didnt mean to imply that they'd work together

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 12 Mar 2006 22:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  22:17:01  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Each Flaming Skull is only a CR4 encounter and while a destroyed Flaming skull will come back it takes an Hour for it to reform...

The Skulls are not simple Flaming Skull(CR4), look at CoS. (Shortly, they have some extra hit dices and can tap in a 25+ wizard spells).

Also, IIRC the name of the drow house is Tanor'Thal.

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 Mar 2006 22:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  23:17:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Qilue and Laeral could cast Teleport spells so the Ellistraee drow could step straight from the promenade ito inside House Karsoluthiyl so long as the fightings not in a public place

Well you need good information to teleport into a locaton never visited. Also any Drow House will seek to set up defenses from teleportation, alarms, guards and even changing decorations of rooms for those seen once (if one got in there and escaped). Teleportation not a good yactic I think in this case unless you get one inside, that can get away and return quickly. 3.5 teleport greater requires "reliable description" to work at all.
quote:

Each Flaming Skull is only a CR4 encounter and while a destroyed Flaming skull will come back it takes an Hour for it to reform

A delay tactic does not remove ruler, however would make them mad (all that paper work *wink* interrupted) and of course become an active foe. Until a longer soluction (if not final) can be achieved it is advised not to get their attention in the first place. Drow will not seek their attention unless they are sure they can be defeated or kepted disabled.
quote:

Edit in my orgional post the Should be an OR not a AND when it comes to Elistraees drow and the Dark Dagger I didnt mean to imply that they'd work together

The OR option as oposed to team option I see it unlikely that Eilistraee followers would traget Drow evil House for distruction. There is so much evil in the city that it would not be just to focus on one aspect. They strike at evil as they find it, slowly trying to expand (if you will) a circle of good. Safe havens of widening spheres. Protect what you have and try to rescue more. If these wanted to contend with Skullport they would seek to kill or convert all evil.

Dark Dagger of course would look to gather of power and more clearly willing to take a chance against a weaken foe.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  23:23:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Each Flaming Skull is only a CR4 encounter and while a destroyed Flaming skull will come back it takes an Hour for it to reform...

The Skulls are not simple Flaming Skull(CR4), look at CoS. (Shortly, they have some extra hit dices and can tap in a 25+ wizard spells).

Also, IIRC the name of the drow house is Tanor'Thal.

If there is only one Drow House it is not interesting enough *wink*

As for the Skulls not being CR4 (I did not look it up) I was sure it had to be higher. 13 Skulls ruling a city which could be so easy to be distrubed is not credible. Alas I do not have their stats yet.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  00:27:05  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skull stats : CN 8HD Flameskulls (can summons spellshades and standard flameskulls) + can tap into the spells of a sorcerer26/archmage5/Netherese arcanist 5.

Don't bother with them (Try a quickened Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere to capture then move over the Skull Pool, then release to great effect on your players )

Of course, they don't rule alone :
The Rage Mage (sorcerer 19 / archmage 4)
Shradin Mulophor weakened clone (necromancer 16 / archmage 2)

You could then add the Iron Ring, the Eye, the Skum Lord, etc..

The Lolth drow leader is, like I said in my earlier post, Kesra Tanor'thal (fighter 3 / cleric 9).

Edited by - Skeptic on 13 Mar 2006 00:31:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  01:35:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Unless of the course, Eilistraee seized upon the opportunity brought about by Lolth's Silence and commanded her followers to slowly work against worshippers of Lolth, Ghaunadaur and Vhaeraun who may be operating just in or around the Port of Shadow. It's happened before, afterall. And the Promenade have sponsored raids made, in the past, against other evil power groups also who operate in and beneath Skullport.

The faithful of Eilistraee already have a well established history of keeping Ghaunadaur's power in and around Skullport *in check*, so to speak, when the Dark Maiden called upon her worshippers to destroy the Pit of Ghaunadaur.

But I agree also that the Skulls themselves would absolutely move to present an obstacle to any type of "religious war" or series of low-level conflicts between the clergies of drow deities in Skullport -- as we've learned in the lore itself. The Skulls do not tolerate any type of event like this to occur.

Overall, given both the lore states and the relative "inoffensiveness" of the faithful of Eilistraee... I'd say it's highly unlikely that any clergies in Skullport would *actively* move against their enemies. Of course, if they've found ways to circumvent the power and reach of their enemies that either doesn't draw the attention of the Skulls or keeps them in an indifferent state toward "more aggressive" relations between clergies... well,... But I don't see it existing for long. The Skulls would eventually discover what is occuring and move to stop it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Mar 2006 03:57:25
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  10:49:51  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone should just open a permanent open portal to the upper planes in skullport and step back and watch the mess.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:45:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Someone should just open a permanent open portal to the upper planes in skullport and step back and watch the mess.

You want some trouble with Halaster ?
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  21:35:41  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could see Lolth's church weakened... a little. Maybe a priestess or two "whacked" that otherwise wouldn't have been whacked, but I wouldn't think there'd be a full scale offensive by anyone... in the shadows or otherwise.

1. Even without their divine powers, the Priestesses aren't helpless by any means.
2. Without their divine powers, the Priestesses would probably go "dark" and be unavailable for casual "griefing."
3. Anyone commiting the resources required for such an attack would leave themselves vulnerable to attacks by someone else.

The balance of power is just that... a balance. And it benefits everyone to maintain that balance... good, bad, or ugly.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  00:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

I could see Lolth's church weakened... a little. Maybe a priestess or two "whacked" that otherwise wouldn't have been whacked, but I wouldn't think there'd be a full scale offensive by anyone... in the shadows or otherwise.

1. Even without their divine powers, the Priestesses aren't helpless by any means.
2. Without their divine powers, the Priestesses would probably go "dark" and be unavailable for casual "griefing."
3. Anyone commiting the resources required for such an attack would leave themselves vulnerable to attacks by someone else

A few Lolth priestesses killed won't raise much eyebrows, for I suspect the weak are not tolerated among their clergy. But a killing of the priestesses in increasing numbers and on a regular basis would cause the clergy to go up in arms and ring the alarm bell, which is certainly no good news.

The Lolth priestesses are more likely to hide and seek out the cause if their divine powers are missing, even so they are fair melee fighters but I suspect those with magic will unfairly use ranged and magic attacks to their advantage instead. Commiting resources to an attack or war is unlikely to be attacked by someone, for extensive planning and backup plans are always prepared for such scenarios.

Whether there is a possibility of Eliastree's and Vhaerun's Faith driving out the faithful of Lolth out of Skullport..I think that's possible but it is a goal that is very difficult to achieve as the Lolth worshippers are more likely to use professional mercenaries and stealthy tactics to fight back, given that Skullport have an ample supply of professionals. Secondly, Vhaerun's faith may not have that kind of patience required in war to drive out and stomach the mounting failures and lack of success in a long term campaign, as they seem to be quite hasty type. Whether Eliastree faithful might be able to do that provided they can do it without inviting vengeance from the majority of Lolth's faithful which may come in a thousandfold.

A religious war in Skullport is more likely to occur in the shadows than a open street fight, as the Skulls may not tolerate such major-scale violence. Though it is possible to beat a Skull in combat, it will take at least 20:1 to beat a Skull. Secondly, Waterdeep is unlikely to idle away while a big fight is going on as the religious conflict may have a chance of spilling over into Waterdeep which in turn may not be welcomed by the Lords.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  18:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A religious conflict I think took place in Skullport during the Lady Penitent hassle. And nobody from Waterdeep paid it any attention.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000