Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Swords of Eveningstar cover
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  09:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The first of Ed Greenwood's Knights of Myth Drannor novels has a cover!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786940220

Two of its three figures are probably Florin Falconhand and Jhessail Silvertree...

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  11:37:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, who would the other warrior be? It looks kind of female so is either Islif or more likely (giventhe image quality) it is Merith Strongbow.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  12:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Spellcaster seems to be wearing leather armour which leaves me a little confused as Wizards cant wear armour, Im pretty sure there arent any Bards in the Knights of Myth Drannor which leaves Clerics and Druids and Im almost certain that both the Druid and Cleric (Rathan, Doust and the Druid whose name starts with L are all male)

The female swinging the sword looks like an Elf or Half elf, the face has that drawn out elven look to it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  12:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im almost certain that both the Druid and Cleric (Rathan, Doust and the Druid whose name starts with L are all male)

Lanseril. And yes, they're all male.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  13:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy
Lanseril. And yes, they're all male.

They are? I thought the one casting spell is female. I mean, lookit, breasts yay. Manboobs?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  15:00:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's SUPPOSED to be (left to right): Jhessail, Islif, Florin, lich-looking-thing (can't reveal true nature; the surroundings are the Haunted Halls). Does look like a leather jack on Jhessail, doesn't it? Maybe they were in the midst of an S&M session (dungeon, after all) and got interrupted.
It can't be Merith, elfboobs or not, because "Swords 1" is set long before any of the Knights have even met Merith, let alone him joining the Knights.
Hmmm. Oh, well, I keep hearing this new fiction in the industry: "The cover isn't about selling the book." Guess WotC bought into that. Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:20:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It can't be Merith, elfboobs or not, because "Swords 1" is set long before any of the Knights have even met Merith, let alone him joining the Knights.

Elfboobs. That's a new one! I like it!

quote:

Hmmm. Oh, well, I keep hearing this new fiction in the industry: "The cover isn't about selling the book." Guess WotC bought into that. Sigh.
love,
THO

Yeah, I've not liked their cover art for a long time...

And you know, I once picked up a novel entirely because of the cover art... I went on to pick up more than 70 novels in that particular line, as well as dozens of sourcebooks, 2 or 3 score metal figures, some plastic figs, some toys, an entire set of dice dedicated to playing the game... The product line is BattleTech, and it took the artwork on one novel to get me interested.

Too bad WotC doesn't seem to realize this kind of thing does happen, particularly among its target demographic.

But anyway, thanks for setting us straight on the artwork, my lady!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  18:29:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the whole "spellcaster wearing leather armour-thing:" I've always assumed the reason armour and spellcasting doesn't work well together would be that armour is heavy - making the somatic components hard to perform, and with Jhessail's leathers being sleeveless, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. But hey, I've been known to be dead wrong about these sort of things

Oh, and I rather like what I see of this cover, it's no Therese Nielsen or Larry Elmore, but on the other hand - it's not the original Tangled Webs or Daughter of the Drow covers either.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  20:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jhessail's thing could be a bodice rather than the stiff leather D&D leather armour represents (though not necessarily in the Realms: what do a set of leathers typically consist of?). Interesting that the third figure is Islif rather than one of the better-known knights; I wasn't sure of its gender, could almost have been Torm as well. I don't think we know what year this first book ends. August would be a great time to cross-promote a Dungeon return to the Haunted Halls.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:33:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Elfboobs. That's a new one! I like it!
So they have racial names now too?

quote:
quote:

love,
THO

Yeah, I've not liked their cover art for a long time...
It's hard for me to select recent FR novel art that I particularly care for -- although, being the Brom fan that I am... the covers for each of the six books of the WotSQ series come close.

quote:
And you know, I once picked up a novel entirely because of the cover art... I went on to pick up more than 70 novels in that particular line, as well as dozens of sourcebooks, 2 or 3 score metal figures, some plastic figs, some toys, an entire set of dice dedicated to playing the game... The product line is BattleTech, and it took the artwork on one novel to get me interested.
I'm curious Wools, just novel?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  03:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget the cover, I can't wait to read the story!

But yeah, the cover is pretty nice too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  03:50:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm curious Wools, just novel?

The Daishi on the cover of Way of the Clans caught my attention... Since then, I've gotten all of the novels up until the CBT fiction line ended, every single TRO (including the original ones, with the Unseen, and the later Revised ones), all of the Field Manuals, 3 of the old House books, most of the recent supplements, and some other oddball books here and there. Plus, the minis... All from that one bit of artwork.

Back to the Realms... A friend of mine used to have a poster of Caldwell's cover art for Spellfire. That was a cool poster. That always was one of my fave Realms covers.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  05:41:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the picture from the cover of Azure Bonds on the wall of the stairs one has to walk up to to get into my apartment. Admittedly, it's part of an consciously cheesy installation of fantasy-stuff (which required a picture of a warrior-woman in silly armour), but still - I do have it up on the wall.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I have the picture from the cover of Azure Bonds on the wall of the stairs one has to walk up to to get into my apartment. Admittedly, it's part of an consciously cheesy installation of fantasy-stuff (which required a picture of a warrior-woman in silly armour), but still - I do have it up on the wall.

Hey, all the visible walls of my apartment (one is totally obscured by bookshelves) are covered with either Larry Elmore artwork, wall scrolls, or shitajiki.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:03:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey, all the visible walls of my apartment (one is totally obscured by bookshelves) are covered with either Larry Elmore artwork, wall scrolls, or shitajiki.

Shitajiki? Sounds like a finnish curse-word to me And an apartment hasn't been properly decorated unless at least one wall is obscured by bookshelves.

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 08 Mar 2006 06:04:42
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:18:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never judge a book by it's cover people I will be one of the first in line to buy this one, it's realms, it's from Ed, and it's about the knights of myth drannor. No further incentive is needed Buy it and let's discuss it here my friends. By the way Wooly, elf boobs??? and Kajehase, I am re-reading the Azure bonds right now, yes good picture, yes cheesy Armour. Paints bulls eye right ........ there, for any male ruffian with a rapier and a will to use it

Edited by - scererar on 08 Mar 2006 06:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  11:25:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shitajiki? Sounds like a finnish curse-word to me And an apartment hasn't been properly decorated unless at least one wall is obscured by bookshelves.

'Tis a Japanese word, meaning "pencil board". It's a thin piece of plastic, slightly smaller in dimensions than a piece of paper. It's designed to be used when writing in a notebook. You slide it under the page you're writing on, and it gives you a hard writing surface.

What makes the things popular is the fact that they have artwork on them. Most of the ones I have have anime images on them, but there's also ones with movie art on them. A lot of people collect these things for the artwork.

Pop over to eBay, and do a search for "pencil board", and then one for "shitajiki". Looking at the pictures, you'll see exactly what I am describing and how nice the art on some of them can be.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  11:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

never judge a book by it's cover people I will be one of the first in line to buy this one, it's realms, it's from Ed, and it's about the knights of myth drannor.

Oh, I'll buy the book, regardless of the artwork. I just think it's a bad trend on WotC's part to slap any old bit of art on a book cover, because I see this kind of art scaring away new readers, not attracting them.

quote:

By the way Wooly, elf boobs???

'Tis a great term our Lady Hooded One coined, is it not?

quote:

and Kajehase, I am re-reading the Azure bonds right now, yes good picture, yes cheesy Armour. Paints bulls eye right ........ there, for any male ruffian with a rapier and a will to use it

Remember, it's enchanted. Besides, most guys, given such a target, would be too busy staring to do anything!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Mar 2006 11:31:41
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:00:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

never judge a book by it's cover people I will be one of the first in line to buy this one, it's realms, it's from Ed, and it's about the knights of myth drannor.

Oh, I'll buy the book, regardless of the artwork. I just think it's a bad trend on WotC's part to slap any old bit of art on a book cover, because I see this kind of art scaring away new readers, not attracting them.

I whole heartedly agree with you on this one. I remember finding the realms novels in the first place. I picked up spellfire, streams of silver, and many others just by the cover art catching my eye. I have noticed a dramatic change in the artwork this past few years, not too sure why, but always thought of it a newer age art ( if that is even an appropiate/ correct title) that I am not so sure I like. I used to pick up source books also for some of the interior artwork, now it seems almost...cheaper? I don't know I am far from an artist to give this stuff proper names, but I miss earlier art from this genre.

Edited by - scererar on 08 Mar 2006 15:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see the Swords of Eveningstar cover bigger, but it looks perfectly fine to me. Way better than the Shadow of the Avatar covers, which used stock paintings!

The broad approach to book illustration I'd most like to see in the Realms line is that used by the Wandering Star/Del Rey editions of Robert E. Howard, continuing the tradition of N.C. Wyeth etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  03:01:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No disagreement here. I spoke to Ed about the art, and he said it wasn’t a surprise to him, as he’d seen sketches and done the usual “three possible scenes” incredibly-detailed art order he gets asked for. However, he also said that he’d secretly hoped for a gorgeous forest setting for the scene; his exact words were:

One should NEVER pass up the chance at doing a really beautiful, sun-dappled, huge-old-trees “deep in Sherwood Forest” scene. Not only are they breathtakingly beautiful, if properly done, they draw browsers in a bookstore like nothing else. Old folks who never buy “those crazy fantasy books” stop and pick the book up and stare at it. If just one in twenty gets swayed by the sell copy and buys it, the paying audience grows by so much - - and every Realms fan wins, because as the line’s sales get stronger, Hasbro execs get more eager to do more and more FR novels.

Nuff said.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  22:05:49  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I'm curious THO - if Ed has any books he can provide as examples of the type of scene he is describing - just (at least for me) so we can have a visual for what he is talking about! :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

DrJackal
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  05:15:29  Show Profile  Visit DrJackal's Homepage Send DrJackal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm. Oh, well, I keep hearing this new fiction in the industry: "The cover isn't about selling the book." Guess WotC bought into that.
THO

A filksong popular with some pros:

"There's a bimbo on the cover of my book
There's a bimbo on the cover of my book
She is blond and she is sexy
She is nowhere in the text
She is the bimbo on the cover of my book"

There's supposed to be more verses, but I haven't found them yet.

"I was never on anyone's side in the first place, so how could I betray them?" -- Akabane Kuroudo.

"No man is a black magician in his own eyes." --- Richard Cavendish, The Black Arts
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  01:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it doesn't sound like finnish at all To me it sounds suspiciously swedish (ahem, Kajehase, change the second letter to k... split the word into two after t )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  06:06:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I'm curious THO - if Ed has any books he can provide as examples of the type of scene he is describing - just (at least for me) so we can have a visual for what he is talking about! :)

Dhomal

The forest of Cormanthor would be what I would envision. I have read everyone of Ed's novels, and I would bet money that this area would be very similar.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  07:16:35  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Yes - I suppose the forest of Cormanthor would be what he may be thinking of - but I was actually curious as to 'actual' examples of book-cover art that he likes -a nd were reminiscent of what he would like to see on FR novels. SOmething that we could look up onlijne say - and see the cover for ourselves - and say 'ahhhh!' once we see what he is talking about! :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  07:17:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Yes - I suppose the forest of Cormanthor would be what he may be thinking of - but I was actually curious as to 'actual' examples of book-cover art that he likes -a nd were reminiscent of what he would like to see on FR novels. SOmething that we could look up onlijne say - and see the cover for ourselves - and say 'ahhhh!' once we see what he is talking about! :)

Dhomal

I concur
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000