Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Green elves, copper elves - High Magic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  11:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Firstly, just to make sure I've got this straight:

> Sy'Tel'Quessir (AKA Copper Elves or Wood Elves) are the ones who live in the deep, deep forest in Cormanthor and elsewhere in the noerthern Realms, practicing a near-pure lifestyle of partnership with nature, trying to cause as little disturbance as possible while still maintaining their civilisation and living standards. They are extremely reclusive, but not especially hostile; they tend to be concerned more with day-to-day mundanities than spiritual or mystical pursuits.
> Wild Elves (AKA green elves) are the brown-skinned grouping in the south of the Realms. A product of living in less forgiving environments than their northern cousins after the destruction of their 'civilised' settlements, an enforced greater focus on mere survival pursuits (even greater than the copper elves') has seen more intellectual pursuits left by the wayside, as well as lending their racial temperament a slightly feral and extremely xenophobic colouring.

Now, for the real question: green elves don't seem to be the types to have developed or retained High Magic of the degree necessary to erect or maintain mythals... at least, not since the 'de-evolution' they've undergone since arriving in on Abeir-Toril and watching their civilisation and its 'higher works' shattered in the fall of Miyeritar. Does anyone have any information/theories/speculation about whether their greatest minds might have been capable of developing/performing High Magic like mythal-raising before they emigrated to Toril?

What about the copper elves? The references I can find suggest that they eschew such lofty mystical pursuits in favour of more pragmatic concerns (though not to the degree of the wild elves)... though some references do suggest Sy'Tel'Quessir have raised mythals. Would this have been a joint effort with more 'sophisticated' elven groups, or would they have merely needed to know how it was done to pull it off on their own?

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  15:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
> Sy'Tel'Quessir (AKA Copper Elves or Wood Elves) are the ones who live in the deep, deep forest in Cormanthor and elsewhere in the noerthern Realms, practicing a near-pure lifestyle of partnership with nature, trying to cause as little disturbance as possible while still maintaining their civilisation and living standards. They are extremely reclusive, but not especially hostile; they tend to be concerned more with day-to-day mundanities than spiritual or mystical pursuits.
> Wild Elves (AKA green elves) are the brown-skinned grouping in the south of the Realms. A product of living in less forgiving environments than their northern cousins after the destruction of their 'civilised' settlements, an enforced greater focus on mere survival pursuits (even greater than the copper elves') has seen more intellectual pursuits left by the wayside, as well as lending their racial temperament a slightly feral and extremely xenophobic colouring.

That's the way I understand it, with the addition that green elves, like their gold, silver and dark cousins, are immigrants to Faerun while copper/wood elves are a "blend" of the other races that has arisen on Faerun.

quote:
Now, for the real question: green elves don't seem to be the
types to have developed or retained High Magic of the degree necessary to erect or maintain mythals... at least, not since the 'de-evolution' they've undergone since arriving in on Abeir-Toril and watching their civilisation and its 'higher works' shattered in the fall of Miyeritar. Does anyone have any information/theories/speculation about whether their greatest minds might have been capable of developing/performing High Magic like mythal-raising before they emigrated to Toril?

I think Miyeritar was a dark/moon elf state? The green elf realms were further south. I'd certainly expect that Green elves are/were capable of performing high magic, and there's a Green Elf sorceress in Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet novel who teaches at the Tower of High Sorcery. It's more likely to be philosophy - arcane magic is dangerous - or lack of opportunity - how to learn it - that prevents Green Elves using High Magic in the current Realms, and those things don't apply so much in the past.

quote:
What about the copper elves? The references I can find suggest that they eschew such lofty mystical pursuits in favour of more pragmatic concerns (though not to the degree of the wild elves)... though some references do suggest Sy'Tel'Quessir have raised mythals. Would this have been a joint effort with more 'sophisticated' elven groups, or would they have merely needed to know how it was done to pull it off on their own?

I think they mostly live/lived in areas like Cormanthor and the High Forest. We know that Cormanthor had a mix of elven subraces, so the Mythal there would be a mixed effort.

The three main kingdoms of the High Forest were Earlann, Sharrven, and Siluvanede. Earlann was founded by Moon Elves and the others by Sun Elves, and while Eaerlann seems to have been fairly inclusive the others weren't. While wood elves might have been involved in raising any Mythals, again I suspect it was a co-operative effort with other groups.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  23:06:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a topic I've wrestled with also, as the sources are somewhat contradictory. The 3E sources seem to exclude green elves from being able to access the High Mage PrC and green elves turn into different sorts of baelnorn than your 'standard' gold and moon elves as per "Cormanthyr". I'd say that even in their 'golden years' green elf High Mages were a very, very rare breed. As to what kind of mythals they would have cast, this is so much in the realms of speculation that I think you can't go wrong no matter what you decide. The Realms (and 3E for that matter) seem to preach a mantra of 'anything is possible': I'd say go with that.

Similarly, wood elves are seen to have a slightly non-magical bent since the end of the Crown Wars according to "Races of Faerūn" and other sources. That said, Eaerlann was a wood elf realm and it left behind several mythals (Ascalhorn, Myth Glaurach and likely a few more). Again, I'd probably go with the attitude that High Magic is rarer in wood elves than moon and gold but certainly not non-existent.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 01 Mar 2006 23:07:00
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  01:55:35  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

> Sy'Tel'Quessir (AKA Copper Elves or Wood Elves)

Sy-tel-quessir are Green Elves (Wild Elves) not Copper Elves (Wood Elves).

Copper/Wood Elves have not been given an Elven Name in Realmslore yet.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  03:29:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I think Miyeritar was a dark/moon elf state?"

Err, last I knew it was a dark/green elf realm, not dark/silver elf realm.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  03:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Sure about that? I took the above names directly from your own site - http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/races-Toril.htm - and it would seem to support my version, rather than yours.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  03:58:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure about that? I took the above names directly from your own site - http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/races-Toril.htm - and it would seem to support my version, rather than yours.

Warlockco is in fact correct. Races of Faerūn makes this apparent -- Sy-tel-quessir = Green Elves. The Copper Elves/Wood Elves are the only elves for which we do not yet have a racial name.

Races of Faerūn also tells us that in the aftermath of the savage Crown Wars, it was then that the green elves went in one of two racial directions -- leading to the split in 1e/2e Green/Wood/Wild Elves in 3e. As Krash said -

"...they stayed kind of wild and remained greens, or civilised a touch and became wood (copper) elves. So we do have a 3E explanation after all.

-- George Krashos"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2006 04:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  05:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Warlockco is in fact correct. Races of Faerūn makes this apparent -- Sy-tel-quessir = Green Elves. The Copper Elves/Wood Elves are the only elves for which we do not yet have a racial name.

Races of Faerūn also tells us that in the aftermath of the savage Crown Wars, it was then that the green elves went in one of two racial directions -- leading to the split in 1e/2e Green/Wood/Wild Elves in 3e. As Krash said -

"...they stayed kind of wild and remained greens, or civilised a touch and became wood (copper) elves. So we do have a 3E explanation after all.

-- George Krashos"

Oh. I sit corrected, then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  06:22:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sure about that? I took the above names directly from your own site - http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/races-Toril.htm - and it would seem to support my version, rather than yours. [/font=Comic Sans MS]

It's a nice website, but I tend to not take anything online as canon unless it comes directly from an official source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  08:23:36  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Sure about that? I took the above names directly from your own site - http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/races-Toril.htm - and it would seem to support my version, rather than yours. [/font=Comic Sans MS]

It's a nice website, but I tend to not take anything online as canon unless it comes directly from an official source.

Haven't dived deeply into the site either, but it came highly recommended by someone, and from what I saw looks good, so that is mainly why I have it in my sig.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  10:29:57  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

True enough... but from the way most of it seemed to track so well with what I knew of canon, I half-assumed that the operators were working from the canon materials themselves.

quote:
Haven't dived deeply into the site either, but it came highly recommended by someone, and from what I saw looks good, so that is mainly why I have it in my sig.

Oh. Man, I'm really on a roll of wrong here, aren't I?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000