Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Vanity's Brood: Chapters 11 - 13
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  20:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Vanity's Brood (Book 3 of House of Serpents), by Lisa Smedman. Please discuss Chapters 11 - 13 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  06:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the trilogy. Arvin was a well developed character and had some toys and powers that are not very common. Arvin was the first character I have read about using psionics on such a large scale and I enjoyed reading more about it. I don't have any sourcebooks or play D&D so this was the most exposure I have had to psions. Also I always enjoy stories with magic items and weapons. I thought Arvin's glove was interesting and extremely useful and he could make some very useful rope as well. I also enjoyed other characters throughout the series such as Karrell and Darris. One of my favorite parts of the novel involved Darris and the wine cart.

The villians in the trilogy also stood out very well. Zelia and Sibyl both were extremely powerful and clever. I had been looking forward to the confrontations with both of them to see if or how Arvin would come out of it. Arvin's use of the fate link was brilliant in dealing with his foes. When facing two powerful foes at once why not turn them on each other and use a fate link? Was Sibyl a half yuan-ti and half demon? The maralith said she was half demon and I am assuming she is half yaun-ti as well since she worshipped Sseth.

I liked how some of the characters in the novel you could never tell what side they would ultimately end up on because each group or individual had their own goals and objectives. Even Arvin was unsure of what he would do until he was forced to choose.

Thats a few of my thoughts, I just finished the novel a little bit ago. I will probally have more later after I have had some sleep

Go to Top of Page

Ramar
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  20:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Ramar's Homepage Send Ramar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sibyl is a unique half-fiend/abomination yuanti 5L Ftr/6L Sorc. She is fully statted out in Serpent KIngdoms.

I absolutely loved the triology. I thought that the picture of yuanti life that Lisa created was so vibrant and full. Looking forward to reading more of her work in the future.

*********Spoiler************************************

Question: if Arvin really has the snake blood feat [since his father was a yuanti], why did he suffer the ill effects of the ossra in book 2 when he barged his way into see Dmetrio? Doesn't the feat make him a scaled one; which would mean that he would benefit from the ossra and not be poisoned?

Edited by - Ramar on 11 Mar 2006 20:18:26
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2006 :  21:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe his father was a half blood himself, making Arvin less tolerant of Ossra? Just a thought, I don't know if it ever said his fatehr was full blood or part blood.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  04:21:28  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book and I'm very pleased. I love how it all ends with Arvin having Zelia kill herself. And when she sees both Arvins she thought he split himself. Finally we find out what Zelia was up to all along. She was in league with Set. A very nice twist. Arvin's plan was very cleaver. I can't wait till Lisa's next Trilogy. And to your question about the Ossra: mere humans can't withstand the poison and die from the affects. Arvin didn't die. I did effect him strongly though. It was Arvin's first time with Ossra and like any drug, a person's first time of use has it's strongest affect.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  04:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also liked all the plot twist throughout the novel. It was hard to guess how it was going to turn out even in the short term.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  06:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arvin falls from the sky in Smaragd and learly died on the impact. A little time later Sibyl casted two lightning bolts into Arvin...and still he was alive.
This part of the story was boring to me, Arvin looked like a übercharacter at this time.....

The fights with Sibyl and Zelia were good. To kill powerful NPCs you must have very good waterproof plans :-)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  22:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow

I just finished the book and I'm very pleased. I love how it all ends with Arvin having Zelia kill herself.

Did he?

I just finished the trilogy, and while there is something to be said for taking the story at it's word (usually), how do we know for sure the real Zelia isn't still alive, and the Zelias that Arvin killed were not both copies of her? Truth is, there are plenty of times in this series where all is not as it seems, and Zelia was such a clever villain that I would not reject the possiblity that the true Zelia is still alive and will lie low for a while to trick Arvin into thinking she's gone, then strike when it's least expected. If Manshoon can clone himself like mad, why couldn't Zelia? She certainly showed an interest in doing such. And truth be told...I liked her as a character, even though I would agree that she deserved to die.

Overall, this was a great series. Vanity's Brood was as fast-paced as the other two books, and it piqued my interest in psionics. The psionic battles (and simple uses) were some of the most interesting and original combat and spell use scenes I've read in any book. And of course, I liked and cared about the characters--it definitely takes talent to make me "pull" for characters and see them as real people who have a lot at stake.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  03:13:27  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious in game terms if Arvin would be a Telepath or Seer? Comments? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  04:51:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally finished the book. Some thoughts:

I really liked getting a chance to see yuan-ti politics and manipulations. While I loved Serpent Kingdoms, part of me really wanted to see some of what was said "in action," and these novels delivered on that.

Zelia was a good villain, and while she came across and competent and deadly, she didn't quite see perfect. Just good enough that you knew she wouldn't go down easily and always had something else in the works. I also liked that she was working for the followers of Set, although this implies a bit broader knowledge of Set's masquerade than I would have originally assumed.

Really liked getting to see the Chultan region again in the novels, and I liked Pakal and the fact that we got a fairly important wild dwarf supporting character. I also liked the K'aaxlaat, as I love little regional organizations. It was also interesting to see a broader base of Ubtao worship than Mezro as well.

I did like the fact that Arvin had to plan out his attack vector on Zelia as well, instead of just charging in and attacking her. It reinforced the level of danger she presented in the rest of the series.

That having been said, Arvin's luck and forgiven double dealing continues in the section as well. I really do like Arvin, and I don't question most of what he does, but as I said in the earlier threads, its how things work out for him that nags a bit at me.

For example, the couatl tells Arvin that he can use the Circled Serpent to enter Smaragh, but implores him to resist the urge to see to Karell first and make sure Sibyl doesn't free Sseth. Of course he doesn't, goes straight to Karell, but it just so happens that Sibyl decides to forget about her god for a few minutes, even after starting to rouse him, so she can stalk Arvin, so that when she is finally defeated, the fact that Arvin ignored the safety of Fearun doesn't even have to be a factor.

The fact that the couatl told Arvin that he deserved the honor of destroying the Circled Serpent almost made my jaw hit the floor. "You lied to me and my organization, put all of Faerun in danger, and ignored my advice . . . surely you have earned this honor."

Not only that, but even in the end, Arvin can't just go to Gonthril and ask for help, he has to lie to make the danger seem more imminent, and again, there isn't really a point at which he is found out. I'm not saying I wanted to see Arvin fail, or to see him die or the like, but at least seeing the K'aaxlaat or the Secession upset and distrustful of him might have felt a little more genuine.

I really liked the planning and confrontation with Zelia, but even though I thought the pacing was really strong through the whole book, the last few chapters lost the excellent pace that the book had for most of the story for me. While Zelia was the more compelling villain, it felt strange to go from saving Faerun and defeating the plans of a god, to finishing off an information broker and spy. And the fact that the Secession hadn't made an appearance or even been mentioned for a while in this series made if feel like an afterthought to bring them back into the end of the story.

Overall, I really did like the book. Very interesting new characters, great use of a lot of unseen (in novels) Realmslore, and a fun well paces story. But the problems I had with the main character and his favorable relation with fate did start to nag at me a bit, and the pacing faltered at the very end. In the end, I've no regrets about reading these, and overall very well written in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  04:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The fact that the couatl told Arvin that he deserved the honor of destroying the Circled Serpent almost made my jaw hit the floor. "You lied to me and my organization, put all of Faerun in danger, and ignored my advice . . . surely you have earned this honor."

Ha!

quote:
Not only that, but even in the end, Arvin can't just go to Gonthril and ask for help, he has to lie to make the danger seem more imminent, and again, there isn't really a point at which he is found out. I'm not saying I wanted to see Arvin fail, or to see him die or the like, but at least seeing the K'aaxlaat or the Secession upset and distrustful of him might have felt a little more genuine.

Well, I have to admit I didn't care much for the Secession, myself. They struck me as being "users" just like Arvin, and that priest of Hoar (from the first book) was a jerk. One thing I didn't like about this series was how Arvin thinks to himself, at one point, "Am I lacking in human passion because I didn't throw myself into the worship of Hoar just like the priest (forgot his name) wanted me to?" Ummmm, no, no, NO! I'd say Arvin was just being smart for not letting some priest take advantage of his situation as a way to push his religion on him. As a non-religious person I didn't like where the book was going with that.

quote:
I really liked the planning and confrontation with Zelia, but even though I thought the pacing was really strong through the whole book, the last few chapters lost the excellent pace that the book had for most of the story for me. While Zelia was the more compelling villain, it felt strange to go from saving Faerun and defeating the plans of a god, to finishing off an information broker and spy.

I liked the Zelia stuff because it represented a personal problem, and I like personal stories. As far as Arvin getting away with his antics...well, like I said I still think Zelia's still out there, and Arvin is still her target. ;) The "happily ever after" ending is too hard for me to believe.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Aug 2007 04:10:49
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  21:47:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed this book and the trilogy overall.

Only issue I had was trivial, but Arvin Studied with Tanju for what 6 months? Then next thing ya know, he is fate linking Demons and abominations, not to mention superior psions left and right. Other than that, the use of psionics was clever and original. I just wish he had used his roguish skilld a bit more in latter books rather than a fate link every chapter

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  02:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew next to nothing about psionics when I read these books and it was pretty clear I was not alone. Even the ageless demons don't know how that crazy stuff works.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  00:56:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I knew next to nothing about psionics when I read these books and it was pretty clear I was not alone. Even the ageless demons don't know how that crazy stuff works.

That could explain it!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000