Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Subtle powers possesed by exceptional members
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:21:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading some of the alternate racial traits in Green Ronin's Advanced Player's Manual and remembering the old traits that you could buy in the Player's Option book, it got me to wondering . . . do any different species of elves, dwarves, etc have exceptional abilities that not every member of the race might have?

For example, might some older dwarf warrior be able to glean information from stones, without ever having been trained as a cleric or a wizard? Might some elves be so unearthly that diseases and poisons don't affect them?

I know that there are a few racial feats in Races of Faerun that kind of fall under this particular heading, but I was just wondering of there were any specific references to any powers that some elves or dwarves (or gnomes, or halfling, etc) might have that isn't common among the race, but isn't unknown.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, the Advanced Player's Manual let you build racial traits for some races, and if you go way beyond the "normal" set of abilities for that race, you end up with LA for that race, so you could have a standard elf, and elf that swapped out this power for that, and another elf with all of their abilities with a LA of +2, for example.

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

Other than the spell like ability’s available to all members of specific races I don’t recall seeing anything like what you are asking for. I don’t know if this is the sort of thing you are looking for but there but there are bonus feats granted by some cleric domains by race see the spell compendium elf domain excreta. I would also take a look at the racial feats in the recently published races of books. Complementary insight from races of destiny sold me on these. And finally I would take a look at some of the background feats in savage spices see pg 32. Using the racial feats above as a guideline you might just grant a bonus feat based on age and race to exceptional individual NPCs or PCs in your campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  14:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can’t think of a standardized list of powers that some beings of a particular race would have. But it sure sounds fun to come up with interesting stuff for that dwarf who was born “Under the light of a furnace fueled with the bones of a dragon” sort of character. I’ll have to pick up that book.

I do have a few ideas as to what I would like to do to the races in general, but as a whole rather than to exceptional members. (The short version would be to remove all the social traits from a race and replace them with additional genetic traits.)

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have brought some of such traits into my game to enhance the mystiqe surrounding the various races... It works. And as with anything else... If it doesnt excist, create it.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000