Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rogue novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

xenoss
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  13:52:14  Show Profile  Visit xenoss's Homepage Send xenoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In relation to my previous post about Erevis Cale Trilogy (which I am very likely going to be reading, plus the Sembia book), I would like to ask if there are any novels that are "Rogue books"?

Not counting the Rogues series and City of Ravens (from The Cities series).

I have always been a rogue person and searched for rogue books to read. I already have the above mentioned, but want more.

Beyond WotC and the Realms (slightly out topic here in the Candlekeep), any recommendations on rogue books?

Thank you very much for your help.

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  14:25:57  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
check out the book ,escape from undermountain, by mark anthony. it is about artek "the knife" ar'talen, a popular known thief out of waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  14:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, Elminster: Making of a Mage is a pretty good story about a rogue, well, about 1/3 of the book is about a rogue.

One of the main characters of the Avatar Trilogy (Cyric) is a rogue.

Finder's Stone Trilogy as an entertaining halfling rogue (Olive Ruskettle)

Shandril's Saga has an entertaining rogue or two (thinking of Torm)

Year of Rogue Dragons has a halfling rogue as one of the main characters.

All Salvatore Novels feature at least one rogue (Regis and Artemis)
--------------------------------------------------

But really, you've already read the two main series about rogues: Erevis Cale and Rogues.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 27 Feb 2006 14:36:10
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  14:59:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all of the above and then: king pinch, several of the harpers novels have rogue characters, EC's novels with Arliyn and Danillo, I believe the lost empire novels have rogue like characters also. Salvatores, cadderly series features a monk and EC's trilogy, counselors and kings has a thief character. I could go on, many, many FR novels have some sort of roguish character, I can only think of a few that don't. I have just about every FR novel, let me know and I can dig for specifics if you want.

Edited by - scererar on 27 Feb 2006 15:02:33
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  15:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Salvatores, cadderly series features a monk

Monks are rogue-like?

Whut.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:38:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The City of Ravens by Richard Baker has a main-character that's pretty much a blueprint for a rogue.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  18:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a more specific request than the OP - do any of the mentioned books above feature Bards in particular? I know 1 of the books in The Rogues series does, but most of the others feature rogues as theives - hiding from the spotlight rather than reveling in it.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  18:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

How about a more specific request than the OP - do any of the mentioned books above feature Bards in particular? I know 1 of the books in The Rogues series does, but most of the others feature rogues as theives - hiding from the spotlight rather than reveling in it.

But bards aren't rogues. So uhm, whut?

In any case, EC's Song & Swords series features a bard, most especially in Elfsong. Then there's of course Stormlight, but I'm not sure how bard-y Storm behaves in that novel.
Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  19:14:32  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Finder's Stone trilogy has an excellent bard character in it (and a rogue who passes as a bard and a fighter who sings very well...). Aside from that, the trilogy is VERY well written and a fun read.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  19:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah.......

NDA.

Damn.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  21:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

I've always considered them rogues - if not exactly in the same way, perhaps as a very close first cousin to rogues. Plus they're a featured "rogue" in the rogues series - isn't that enough?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  22:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My heroine Shamur Uskevren in the novel The Shattered Mask is a rogue.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  23:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

*slaps own forehead* Ack. How did I forget to recommend that?

And... there's Sands of the Soul and The Crimson Gold, I suppose, dealing with Shamur's daughter, also a rogue. But those books did absolutely nothing for me, personally; the same goes for the Scions of Arrabar trilogy (contains a Thazienne-ish figure, only more annoying and even less interesting).
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  23:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Ah.......

NDA.

Damn.

Cheers

There is a bard character in Erik's recent novel, Ghostwalker. :)

As for Storm in Stormlight...she doesn't act too bardy, but she does sing as I recall. :)

The song dragon in the Rogue Dragons trilogy could pass for a bard IMO, but I once read her stats in a Dragon mag and found out that she isn't technically a bard.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

xenoss
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:16:55  Show Profile  Visit xenoss's Homepage Send xenoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch folks. You people here at Candlekeep are extremely helpful!

I read Ghostwalker, City of Ravens, and the Rogues series, EC's C&K series and the Harpers series, among others. Cant get enough though.

Erik Scott de Bie NDA? is he implying Depth of Madness?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik has said before (I recall) that he likes bards, and many of his stories feature them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:39:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Salvatores, cadderly series features a monk

Monks are rogue-like?

Whut.

yes
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:41:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

In any case, EC's Song & Swords series features a bard, most especially in Elfsong. Then there's of course Stormlight, but I'm not sure how bard-y Storm behaves in that novel.

I would say bards also winterfox. I think 3E distinguishes between the classes more, but look back at the realms and you will see commonalities between rogues, monks, as well as bards
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:42:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two scenes of Storm harping and singing (complete with lyrics) were cut from STORMLIGHT, unfortunately.
And I second what Chosen of Bane said about ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE being one-third a rogue novel - - especially if you “add in” all but one of the outtake chapters from that novel, that are posted on the WotC website (fastest way to find them is to call up Ed’s Author Bio, scroll to the bottom of the novels list, and there are the links, to all but his first Spin A Yarn, which seems to have fallen off the server for good.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On monks: Sorta kinda rogues...but not really. I could be wrong, but when someone says they are looking for a rogue-type character, I doubt that a monk is what they are looking for. In any case, Danica, the monk in question, is ultimately much more of a warrior than a rogue (at least as she is portrayed in the novels).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Feb 2006 01:45:10
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Two scenes of Storm harping and singing (complete with lyrics) were cut from STORMLIGHT, unfortunately.

That's too bad. I've seen pictures of Storm with her harp, but rarely if ever get to read about her strumming it. :-/

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:55:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A-hem.
Yes, it's been a cause of some wry hilarity among we Knights that TSR editors managed to chop seven or eight scenes of Storm being a bard, over the years, but left in (and made so much fuss about) one nude woodchopping scene.
On the other hand, Ed used to write some REALLY over the top sex and banana peel/British bedroom -style farce scenes that he sent just to the editors, for fun, not as part of novel manuscripts, and at least they had the good taste not to publish those.
I imagine some of them got pinned up on cubicle walls for years, though . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  02:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A-hem.
Yes, it's been a cause of some wry hilarity among we Knights that TSR editors managed to chop seven or eight scenes of Storm being a bard, over the years, but left in (and made so much fuss about) one nude woodchopping scene.

That's pretty sad though...Storm's a bard (The Bard of Shadowdale, no less!), so why not let her be a bard? And I would have loved to have read those lyrics you mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  02:35:31  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xenoss

Beyond WotC and the Realms (slightly out topic here in the Candlekeep), any recommendations on rogue books?

I'll answer quickly and to the point here in an effort to appease our staff-wielding Alaundo:

Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar novels - must reads. You really should do yourself a favor and pick up some of the novels of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. These were definitely the inspiration for the Gord the Rogue books written by Gary Gygax. Pulp fantasy at its best.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series of books are also very good.

Some of the Thieves World novels are quite good.

Straying away from fantasy, you may also want to pick up the various Stainless Steel Rat novels by Harry Harrison. Some of them were wickedly fun tales of intergalactic thievery.

Getting back to Realmslore:

NDA that Erik mentioned is the bane of all of us fanboys (and girls). Its short for Non-Disclosure Agreement. Meaning that he isn't allowed to talk about something that he'd absolutely love to talk about, due to the possibility that it could be published in the future.

Here's to hoping that it is near future, rather than far future.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 28 Feb 2006 02:36:57
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  02:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

*slaps own forehead* Ack. How did I forget to recommend that?

And... there's Sands of the Soul and The Crimson Gold, I suppose, dealing with Shamur's daughter, also a rogue. But those books did absolutely nothing for me, personally; the same goes for the Scions of Arrabar trilogy (contains a Thazienne-ish figure, only more annoying and even less interesting).

No need to slap the forehead. The original poster mentioned that he's going to be reading the Sembia books already.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  09:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read "Servant of the Shard". There is plenty of rogue action in that book. And with one of the greatest rogues of the Realms. Artemis Entreri... Go ahead and enjoy.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  12:40:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

A-hem.
On the other hand, Ed used to write some REALLY over the top sex and banana peel/British bedroom -style farce scenes that he sent just to the editors, for fun, not as part of novel manuscripts, and at least they had the good taste not to publish those.
I imagine some of them got pinned up on cubicle walls for years, though . . .

This does seem to be a favorite strategy. When we were writing CITY OF SPLENDORS, Ed suggested (tongue in cheek) that tucking a rousing elven orgy among the pages of the ms was just the thing to make the editors a) expel coffee through their noses and b) give them something to cut, thus enabling them to feel that they'd done their jobs.

And as I mention in Ed's thread one time, during a discussion of editorial cuts, I mentioned an exchange from THE MAGEHOUND that ended up on the cutting room floor. Tzigone, who was training as a mage, was supposed to be copying a spell onto sheets of parchments. Instead of doing it by hand, she tried a cantrip. Things didn't go well, much ink was spilled on parchment and elsewhere. Matteo came in and inquired about the damage. No loss of life, Tzigone responded, unless you include parchment, in which case she'd "buggered more sheep than a Calishite shepherd." This phrase was cut. No large surprise there. But Ed advised me that I should have made an issue of this, and insisted that I "felt very strongly about sheep buggering." It would have been cut regardless, but he argued that the editors would have been so appalled they'd be less inclined to cut elsewhere.

The things authors do to amuse themselves. :)

Moving on. Since we're all bard-lovers here, perhaps you'll permit me to speak to a bardic issue that frequently crops up in fantasy. For the record, "strum" is probably not the best verb to apply to harping. It means to sweep your fingers or a plectrum (aka "pick") over the strings. Guitars (yartings, in the Realms) are frequently strummed. I suppose this term could also be applied to lutes, though real-world lute technique doesn't include the sort of rhythmic "strumming" common to certain styles of guitar playing. When you "strum" a harp, you end up with a glissando, which is certainly done in harp music, but as an occasional ornament and not an all-purpose technique. In general, harp strings are plucked, not strummed. (Harpers frequently "roll" a chord, which means to play notes one at a time in rapid succession. The SOUND is very similar to a chord strummed on a fretted instrument, but the technique is quite different.) There are exceptions, of course; for example, the surmandal is strummed to add a sort of drone effect in Indian classical music. This instrument looks a bit like the zither or autoharp, with strings strung over a flat soundboard.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 28 Feb 2006 13:11:15
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  15:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for putting that out. I'm a bard lover, but I'm not a musician, hence my use of "strumming".

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  15:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

NDA that Erik mentioned is the bane of all of us fanboys (and girls). Its short for Non-Disclosure Agreement. Meaning that he isn't allowed to talk about something that he'd absolutely love to talk about, due to the possibility that it could be published in the future.

Yep -- thanks, Sarta.

To be specific, it's something I COULD talk at least a small bit about, but I'm going to exercise a little self control. . . and I suppose a trifle sadism's in there too.

Suffice it to say, I like bards AND rogues.

In other, totally unrelated news, one of the main characters of Ghostwalker is a bard. But that's neither here nor there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Feb 2006 16:00:27
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  16:19:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Erik, I know you like rogues because I just read about Twilight . . . (pry, pry)

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 28 Feb 2006 16:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  16:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

But Erik, I know you like rogue because I just read about Twilight . . . (pry, pry)

Twilight is a sort of goddess, isn't she?

Though Derst is pretty cool too, particularly in conjunction with Bars and the lovely Arya.

And Alin. In his own sad, painfully bemusing way.

And, you know, I could do much with a Dharan Greyt story about. . .

And that little (BUZZ!!!) NDA.

And, whoop, (Oh no! Here comes. . .) NDA.

Heh.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000