Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Netheril mages : the still-living and the undead
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  22:24:43  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here are some Netheril mages still in present-day Faerun:

Halaster of Undermountain

Shradin Mulophor in Skullport

Larloch the Lich of Warlock's Crypt (on the Sword Coast.)

The leaders of the Shadovar.

What other suriviors of Netheril are still walking around?

Edited by - RodOdom on 26 Feb 2006 23:41:24

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  22:52:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about other survivors, but if I remember a discussion on these boards correctly, there's more pointing to Halaster being an Imaskari than a Netherese survivor.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  23:04:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Halaster isn't Netherese. His mate Shradin Mulophor in Skullport might be, though.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  23:17:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look under the Arcanist tab in my Excel file, which is in my Sig or on Candlekeep, it has a few others that might still be around in present day.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  00:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed also shared some details about Netherese survivors in his '04 replies IIRC.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  01:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Ed also shared some details about Netherese survivors in his '04 replies IIRC.

From Memory the following are still around

The Shades

Larloch and Rhaugilath reside in Warlock keep (See LEOF)

Aumvor the Undying (See CoR)

The High Forest (See sons of Thunder)

The City of Opus/Selunarra is in the Gates of the Moon

Lady Sagarel of Spellgard (See Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy)

Ioulaum and Tabra(See LEOF)

Telbran Nelarn in Waterdeep (See City of Splendors)

Flaming Skulls of Skullport

and theres one in Cormyr (See the Ed files details)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  02:38:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answers from Ed, given in the past:

quote:
Netherese Survivors in the Modern Realms

NOTE: The following was taken from two separate postings from the Candlekeep.com message boards.

I know of at least a dozen Netherese who are still active in the Realms of today, albeit some of them in greatly changed forms. Hint: a LOT of Netherese bound themselves into magic items (especially swords), to 'live on' telepathically. If your blade seems able to see what's around it without having visible eyes, hear thoughts of nearby creatures, and mend/heal itself in limited ways, it just might contain the sentience of a Netherese.

The pages of ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE and SHADOWS OF DOOM both contain Netherese survivors (one each), and I can reveal here that I know of at least two who reside quietly (pretending to be "just plain folks") in Waterdeep and Suzail, respectively. No, I'm not going to give names, because for a DM it's far more useful to have them as ‘handy tools.'

The Waterdhavian one founded a successful mercantile family now regarded as noble, and then (having prepared for this with covert investments, coin caches, and property purchases) faked his own death, to reappear as a retired merchant, a role he's played several times since. Like Elminster, he meddles covertly in city politics and society, spreading rumors and ‘turning' particular individuals to hold more cosmopolitan world-views (investing in other lands, and taking an interest in folk from those places). He does this because he very much wants to avoid Waterdhavian haughtiness from growing any greater than it is already.

The Suzailan one is a female who firmly believes that Netheril fell because of overweening pride and overarching mastery of magic. She enjoys life in Cormyr (when it isn't imperiled by war, of course), has hidden coins and gold in plenty for her needs, and covertly works to do two things: confuse and confound War Wizard investigations, and to make both War Wizards and others think that there are secret personal dangers involved in too much spellcasting, and in casting specific, over-powerful spells. She is VERY good at keeping hidden, spreading such rumors through the mouths of passing strangers by means of suggestion magics, and never doing anything openly herself. She's no enemy of the Crown; she just doesn't think allowing the War Wizards to reach the status of ‘extremely effective secret police' is a good idea. She's dwelt in Suzail for almost forty years, and knows it will soon be time to "disappear" or be noticed as something other than the well-to- do widow she's pretending to be, but is tarrying because she enjoys the city and its folk so much (she perceives a rising danger in wealthy, ever-restless Sembia of sorcerers and wizards becoming overproud and reckless in their use of magic, but has such a distaste for what she's seen of Sembian society that she just doesn't want to go there, while also seeing that it would be a very good place to take a new face and name).

You can, of course, create many more Netherese, though I'd suggest that they all conceal their origins and that they NOT (or try not) to know of each other, rather than forming any sort of shadowy secret society or power group. That would be why, even for the two examples from my novels, clearly identified Netherese should be very scarce. After all, if Netheril is most remembered as a "land of awesome magic," then anyone identified as Netherese can expect wizards and sorcerers to launch surprise attacks, mind- invasions, and attempts to capture or financially control them, to get all the magic that's "surely" waiting in their minds, or in the case of items, hidden in places they know.

...the Netherese survivors won't get along at all well with the people of Shade. In fact, I'd venture to say that ALL surviving Netherese in Faerûn would be wary at best, and actively hostile at worst, to the new "arrivals."

"Hiding from and otherwise ignoring" would probably be their initial reaction, and they'll quite rightly see attempts by the folk of Shade to find them as attempts to snatch their power. If that happens just once, word will get around, and the folk of Shade will then discover they've bitten off a lot more than they can ever hope to chew.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  05:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm I wonder if the Female in Cormyr might be a member of the Cultists of the Shattered Peaks.... Her Philosphy sounds alot like theres. I also wonder what she was doing when Shade was rebuilding Arabel.....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  16:24:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a distinct possibility.

Cultist cells are said to operate in the Heartlands and given the fact that the Netherese Female Ed describes above... about confusing and confound the War Wizards... this may be her discreet attempts to prevent the War Wizards from happening upon details pertaining to Netherese ruins.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are the Cultists detailed? Lost Empires of Faerun?

Has Ed made any connection about the possibility of some of the surviving Netherese perhaps being members of the Cultists?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 28 Feb 2006 00:39:25
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where are the Cultists detailed? Lost Empires of Faerun?

Yes; pages 10-13.

quote:

Has Ed made any connection about the possibility of some of the surviving Netherese perhaps being members of the Cultists?

Not that I know of.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:17:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't believe anyone has asked him... His quotes on the surviving Netherese date back at least a year before LEoF.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:26:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Netherese would hide from the Cultists, too.
I ventured this opinion to Ed, and he agreed. And said certain Netherese might try to manipulate Cultists by feeding them information, both true and false. Out of whim, out of decaying sanity,and to see if they could be forged into some sort of weapon or outreach organization (witting or unwitting).
The scary thing is,
Ed CHUCKLES a lot whenever I mention Netherese. As if he's got more up his sleeves than just his arms . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scary thing is that I read the description of the Waterdhavian mage, and I can't seem to clear away the thought that it might be Mirt....

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:28:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chuckle. Chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh oh. THO is laughing her evil laugh. This is NOT good....

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  04:36:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't believe anyone has asked him... His quotes on the surviving Netherese date back at least a year before LEoF.

Indeed.

In fact the reply from Ed you quoted above Wooly was from Feb '04.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  04:39:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Most Netherese would hide from the Cultists, too.
I ventured this opinion to Ed, and he agreed. And said certain Netherese might try to manipulate Cultists by feeding them information, both true and false. Out of whim, out of decaying sanity,and to see if they could be forged into some sort of weapon or outreach organization (witting or unwitting).
The scary thing is,
Ed CHUCKLES a lot whenever I mention Netherese. As if he's got more up his sleeves than just his arms . . .
love,
THO

That's rather interesting... kind of a "manipulators having their own strings manipulated" and so forth.

So that, when treasure hunters or loremasters come across potential details about Netherese ruins... not only are they reading lore that has been tinkered with by Cultists, but by what disinformation surviving Netherese have fed the Cultists about these ruins.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  16:19:16  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just to toss another idea around (completely non-canon, mind you):
I came up with a trio of npc's, one already introduced to my players, two soon to be revealed. all three are vampires: very much anne rice-style (evil tongues might call the older two "cheap copies of marius and pandora, just with netheril replacing the roman empire"). both are in khelbens or elminsters league: not in actual power but by using the same "meddling and manipulating" style, working on longterm goals and mostly through third parties. needless to say that although they are the least "visible" npc's to my players, both belong to my favourite characters.

...and to toss another idea around (though this one unrelated to all things netherese):
the third (younger) one is a member of cormyr's noble family (Bleth), living in (pre-destruction) tilverton. she was made a vampire by marius a few centuries ago, when she fell deeply, utterly, completely, madly in love with him - and was made immortal by the elder vampire in a fit of... well, vigorous lovemaking.

afterwards, marius regretted what he did to the lass, but (un-)naturally, it was too late. and while the beautiful aristocrat still loved him deeply, marius' heart belonged to his mate pandora. it broke jessica's (today, I would clearly chose another, more realmsian name! ) heart when he confessed that to her, and while introducing her to the art of living unrecognised among mortals, it turned out that young miss bleth was no ordinary vampire: she could live on blood, and she felt the usual "flush" while feasting, but she abhorred the act. instead, she thrived on love: at least once every tenday, she needs someone new to fall in love with her.

...which is a problem in several ways, the most prominent one being the inevitable crowd of broken-hearted lovers in her wake. she came up with a certain modus operandi: living in a larger city with lots of "transit traffic" and chosing her lovers mostly from travellers (merchants, caravaners, etc). today (1370/71 DR), she lives in tilverton, posing as the owner of a small trading house aligned to the Bleth family.

i found that inspiratin in van richtens guide to vampires, where alternatives to blood were discussed. i read "the vampire armand" a short time ago and had the idea of a good-aligned vampiric character back in my mind ever since. ...so it was a small step to creating this, ...well... vamp.
to this day, three pc's have become her victims: a doomguide of kelemvor who fell in love with her without knowing that she was undead, and had very hard pangs of remorse when she revealed it to him - after saving his live against another vampire, shortly afterwards his "squire" (a young aspiring paladin of kelemvor, whose father was killed by said vampire and who to this day doesn't suspect her being a vampire) and a good aligned necromancer, who hates undead but repeatedly meets good aligned ones who challenge his moralities...
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  16:39:28  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

Another one who is still around would be Arthindol the Terraseer.
Though he is a sarrukh, I remember him being called (netherese) arcanist.
At the very least he was avidly involved with the Netherese and his current whereabouts and his doings in the past are to be found in the Netheril-section of LEoF. That was reason enough for me to put him here.

Cheers!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  16:45:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tabra, apprentice of Ioulaum that "hides" in Bargewright Inn in the North. (See Volo's guide to the North)

Ooops.. someone already mentioned her.

Edited by - Skeptic on 03 Mar 2006 16:46:40
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  18:04:15  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, actually she was captured by our most beloved Shadovar !

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  13:46:38  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple more to add to the list:

The Night Parade are descendants of Netherese arcanists who emigrated to the Demiplane of Nightmares in -618 DR.

Similarly, the Maulagrym are descendants of a Netherese wizard, Maulag, who moved to the Plane of Shadow to study it (presumably along with several assistants, apprentices and servants). I'm not sure of the year, but it was some time before the Fall of Netheril.

In both instances, original members of the groups could yet survive...
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  04:12:34  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

A couple more to add to the list:

The Night Parade are descendants of Netherese arcanists who emigrated to the Demiplane of Nightmares in -618 DR.

Similarly, the Maulagrym are descendants of a Netherese wizard, Maulag, who moved to the Plane of Shadow to study it (presumably along with several assistants, apprentices and servants). I'm not sure of the year, but it was some time before the Fall of Netheril.

In both instances, original members of the groups could yet survive...

The Night Parade are present in massive numbers but their reproduction is their weakness as they are reliant on something called the "apparatus". They certainly remind me of PS2: The Thing.

If Malaug and his party migrated into the POS some years before the Fall of Netheril, similarly, the Shadovar also migrated into the POS at that time. If both groups stayed in the POS for a very long time, how came that they are so different with the Shades looking near-human without shape-shift abilities while Malaug and his children looked so distorted?

Edited by - silvermage on 15 Mar 2006 04:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  04:19:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

If Malaug and his party migrated into the POS some years before the Fall of Netheril, similarly, the Shadovar also migrated into the POS at that time. If both groups stayed in the POS for a very long time, how came that they are so different with the Shades looking near-human without shape-shift abilities while Malaug and his children looked so distorted?

I'd say it's because the two groups used really different methods to adapt to life in the Plane of Shadows.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:02:49  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by At your Behest

No, actually she was captured by our most beloved Shadovar !

When and how did that happen?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:35:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerûn, if my memory serves me correctly for once.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:37:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

It's mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerûn, if my memory serves me correctly for once.

You are correct. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:48:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And no details are given.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  00:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading about Aumvor the Undying in the 2E Lords of Darkness book, and I would like to know more about him. CoR stands for ... ?

Where is Opus nowadays? That was the domain of Chever the Penguin Arcanist, pushed into another plan by Selune at the same time Shar shoved Shade into Hell. Opus would be chock full o' Netherese Arcanists, too.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  00:33:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CoR = Champions of Ruin.

As for Opus, check our Lost Empires of Faerun for those details and the older 2e Netheril: Empire of Magic.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Mar 2006 00:35:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000