Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Groups/orders of the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:42:05  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

I'm trying to find some consolidated info on the groups and organisations within the realms. Not the big obvious ones like Harpers/ZHents etc, but the smaller ones.

ie
Flaming Fist (BGate)
Order of the Falcon (Red Knight)
Watchful Order of Magisters and Protectors (Waterdeep)

I'm sure there must be different Orders within major churches (apart from the paladinic ones) and so on but there is a HELL of a lot of source material and i dont wanna do over someone elses work:)

Ok it's a looong shot. BUt i know lots of folk do lots of random work based on canon and you never know.

ANything you know? or do i need to do some serious trawling:)

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:56:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's about a hundred in the 2e deities trilogy alone. :)

Plus another 100 or more that have appeared in other sourcebooks.

Short list:

Unseen
Kraken Society
Moonstars
Harpers
Twisted Rune
Zhent's
Cult of the Dragon
Different mercenary companys
Different adventuring bands

There's more, but I just can't think of them atm. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:56:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flaming Fist: FR15 Gold & Glory (a 2E source about mercenary units)
Watchful Order: Any of the many Waterdeep supplements, most notably City of Splendors: Waterdeep (3E) and the City of Splendors (2E) boxed set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  17:03:53  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

*sigh* I figured it might be up there somewhere. Oh well. I guess it gives me something to do in my temporary unemployment hehe

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  17:39:36  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're a glutton for punishment, check out the Valorous Organizations chapter of Champions of Valor. There's about a bazillion listed in there...

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:44:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Aye...

Dorn, you're likely better off sitting down and taking a look through each and every 1e/2e/3e FR resource and noting the various organisation and orders at play in the Realms. A great number of them, the smaller ones as you say, are just mentioned by name, with little true background, so that should be easy enough for the most part.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  03:37:41  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Wow - I'm glad I found this thread!

I was google-ing one thing - and found this - and remembered that someone had inquired about it.

I'm not sure of what products are included in this list - but it seems to be a list of 'orders' of different deities. Granted - it does not include the non-deity organizations - but it is some info!

link: http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/dragoncc1/pantheon_orders_n_knighthoods.htm

(*Never did know how people make words their links! LOL*)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  04:48:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a cool list, though I wish it listed its sources so we could tell if it was accurate. If I were you, I'd narrow down the types of organizations you're looking for. There are so many, you can't realistically look at them all. (Unless of course, your goal is simply to have a list).

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  09:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely certain, not having the book in front of me, but I think those orders on the aforementioned webpage are taken from Faiths and Avatars.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  10:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to find if there's a paladin Order for Gond? I have not heard of any, maybe because he's neutral, but if Helm has Orders so should Gond. It would be nice to see knights using all kinds of mechanical thingamadoos to fight evil. If there are none then would you help me come up with a name for one?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  11:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

I'm trying to find if there's a paladin Order for Gond? I have not heard of any, maybe because he's neutral, but if Helm has Orders so should Gond. It would be nice to see knights using all kinds of mechanical thingamadoos to fight evil. If there are none then would you help me come up with a name for one?

Maybe it's the insomnia talking, and if so please forgive me (going on 6 AM now and no sleep for me )But my mind just took this idea in an interesting direction.

I was thinking about an order of paladins in service to Gond, when suddenly image of Stephen King's gunslingers jumped into my head. After the initial scorn I felt for such a random thought, I really started considering it, and it didn't seem quite so silly if you took the idea loosely.

Considering Gond's neutral take on reality, these paladins wouldn't be really worried about "good", so to speak, but rather focused on keeping human society intact so that technology can flourish. Wether said society was good or evil would be less of an issue so long as it was sufficiently stable and relatively free from terror and destruction as to allow technology to grow, be it better tools to feed the people or weapons of war to conquer your neighbor. Of course these paladins would wield guns of some sort, possibly holy items blessed by Gond himself to improve their safety of use and increase their accuracy and power.

I won't even try to quantiy such a group in game terms (not without some sleep anyways) But a gun-tting group of paladins trying to keep the world from "moving on" so to speak could work, both with the realms in general and with what I know of gond, at least. I could be compeltely wrong though, so if so I blame the lack of sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  11:26:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From page 64 of Faiths & Avatars:
quote:
The church of Gond has no affiliated knightly orders. It does have a great many honorary orders and societies within its ranks. These are usually founded to recognize the works of Gondar working in a particular specialty and to promote the easy exchange of ideas between those qualified in a field while preventing trade or church secrets from leaking out to competitors. Just a few of these societies include the Order of Puissant Stonemasons and Stonecarvers. the Holy Order of Most Skilled Architects and Bridgemakers, the Armorers of the Wonderbringer, the Most Arcane Order of Gearmakers, Clockmakers, and Automationists, the Society of Creative Castle Design and Construction, and the Industrious Brothers and Sisters of Carpentry, Cabinetry, Puppetry, and Toymaking.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  16:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you most furry fountain of knowledge.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  02:02:47  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man, that'd be a fun character:

A not-so-bright gnome paladin, who treats the Industrious Brothers and Sisters of Carpentry, Cabinetry, Puppetry, and Toymaking as if it were a paladin order.

Then again, I've always felt paladins made for some of the best comic relief.

I'm going to rattle this concept around a bit and see how it shakes down in terms of game-play.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  10:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I'm going to rattle this concept around a bit and see how it shakes down in terms of game-play.

Just make sure that he sometimes uses the holy handgrenade .

"One, Two, Four." "three sir" "three" .

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  10:36:10  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just make sure that he sometimes uses the holy handgrenade .

"One, Two, Four." "three sir" "three" .

Actually was thinking more of one who felt a divine calling to make Faerun a better place through protecting innocents, righting wrongs, and ruthlessly efficient cabinet design. "That's right your honor, he not only saved my Jim from those burglars, but he really helped us organize our closet space."

For some strange reason an image of Robert Deniro's Harry Tuttle from the movie Brazil, rapelling down a building to criminally repair a heating unit, comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  21:46:59  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta
Actually was thinking more of one who felt a divine calling to make Faerun a better place through protecting innocents, righting wrongs, and ruthlessly efficient cabinet design. "That's right your honor, he not only saved my Jim from those burglars, but he really helped us organize our closet space."

You've certainly got a great character concept there! That'd get my vote if I was gaming with you.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000