Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Hymn to Waterdeep - Midi Composition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scarroth
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  10:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Scarroth's Homepage Send Scarroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A Hymn to Waterdeep

I have worked on this very symphonic piece quite a long time. It should express a gigantic medieval coastal town - called Waterdeep and located in the Forgotten Realms (one of the most detailed, fantastic and popular campaign worlds of the (A)D&D role playing game, which I'm still playing fanatically for many years).
However… Now to the piece itself: Because of the fact that I wanted to express the whole City of Waterdeep I decided to make some kind of musical program, divided in several parts. Each of these parts represents one of the most important localities of this fictitious, but quite beautiful town. All themes, melodies and variations based on one simple 'leitmotif' - I think you'll understand immediate when you start listening.

Here you can download the composition as a midi file:

-----------------------------------------
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/milil/waterdeep.htm
------------------------------------------

Part I: The Town Gates (0:00-1:15)

The piece starts with a very monumental intro for strings and percussion; much Taiko drumming is going on here. The Main Theme (including of course the 'leitmotif' itself) follows immediately. From 0:47 up to 1:00 we have some kind of a 'classical bridge', it is meant to describe the visitor's (your) way trough the town gates into the heart of the city.

Part II: The Streets of the City (1:15-1:40)

After you have entered the town you find yourself into the streets and sideways of the city - full of nooks and crannies, clean cobblestones and a lot of these wonderful small stores everywhere. A cute melody for strings and woodwinds follows this scene.

Part III: Ships in Harbour (1:40-2:30)

When you get to the big port of Waterdeep you can't resist to have a look on all the great ships lying there in complete calmness and harmony. I think my variation of the leitmotif for this location speaks for itself.

Part IV: The Towers of Waterdeep (2:30-3:30)

When you have finished your look on the harbour you are going to visit the unprecedented high Towers and Castles of the military, hard but fair town guard. Here we have a breakneck rhythm for brasses and percussion while the upper instruments play a heroic variation of the Main Theme (first appeared in 'The Town Gates').

Part V: In the Tavern (3:30-4:20)

After a long and exhausting, but worthwhile day in Waterdeep you go in one of the taverns of the city and rent a room there for night. Expressed by a little intro played by our three percussionists and followed by a jolly melody for harp this part is a harmonic connection back to the Main Theme in the following…

Part VI: Leaving the City (4:20-4:49)

Your visit of Waterdeep ends on the next morning when you are leaving the city through the town gates - of course, here we hear again the Main Theme from the beginning.

(c) 2005

-------------------------------------
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/milil/waterdeep.htm

Never trust a Dungeon Master. Particularly when he has a big smile...

Edited by - Scarroth on 03 Dec 2019 23:32:48

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  14:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I think I found my next ringtone!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  15:51:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis not a bad tune... Is it available as an MP3?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Scarroth
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  16:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Scarroth's Homepage Send Scarroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still working on it, but need either a good synthesizer or good digital samples to record it as mp3 (/wave/ogg/whatever).
Best would be - of course - a live orchestra performance.
I think the London Symphony Or. isn't willing to play it... ;-)

Never trust a Dungeon Master. Particularly when he has a big smile...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000