Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Flight of dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Feanor
Learned Scribe

100 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  18:11:03  Show Profile Send Feanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know or at least have any theories about what could cause the flights of dragons ? Cult of the Dragon suggests some possibilities, but it also insists that the true cause remains a mistery. On the other hand, Evermeet:Island of the Elves says that the cause is the influence of a star called King Killer. Any opinions ?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  19:03:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's something that's being explored in the Rogue Dragons trilogy; one of the short stories in Realms of the Elves also deals with this phenomenon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  22:10:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rogue of the Dragons trilogy gets into great deal as to why.

SPOILER space.

Eons ago, the elves chafed under the yoke of the Age of the Dragons. In order to throw them off they crafted mighty high magic/mythal to throw the dragons into rage, making them incapable of ruling. However, someohow they tied the rage to the appearance of the King Killer Star, most likely a comet of some sort, that appears in the sky. That's about the sum of what we know so far.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  22:50:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You would think that "Dragons of Faerūn" will shed even more light on this phenomenon. All we have to do now is wait.:)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  00:14:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's something that's being explored in the Rogue Dragons trilogy; one of the short stories in Realms of the Elves also deals with this phenomenon.

And don't forget the two Realms of the Dragons anthologies that go along with the "Rogue Dragons" trilogy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  01:26:48  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Between Richard's trilogy, both anthologies, and Dragons of Faerun, all will be perfectly clear as to the how and why of the Rage (though I can't say anything specific about exact details). Besides those, Richard's book "Queen of the Depths" also has a nice tie-in to the Rage as it relates to aquatic dragons. A number of upcoming novels (similar to how the Time of troubles popped up in different ways in numerous novels) will have tie-ins.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And don't forget the two Realms of the Dragons anthologies that go along with the "Rogue Dragons" trilogy.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  04:52:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa, another Realms designer comes in! Enter and be welcome, Eytan!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  04:55:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa, another Realms designer comes in! Enter and be welcome, Eytan!

Indeed. Greetings to you Eytan, and welcome to Candlekeep. We greatly look forward to your future contributions to Realmslore discussion here .

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  07:32:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the welcome. I've wanted to say something sooner, but Wizards only officially announced Dragons of Faerun on its site this week, though it's been unofficially announced in other places.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  08:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

And indeed welcome to Candlekeep. 'tis always a pleasure to have FR authors and designers herein and I look forward to discussing forthcoming products with thee

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  08:20:32  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question here, so if the dragon flights happen in the appearance of a King Killer Star,
1) so how frequently does the King Killer Star appears?

2) Is its name tied to something significant?

For currently, I and my friends are planning a campaign that involves dragon flights and so we need information to make the campaign realistic. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Elaine probably would have some information about that as it seems to have a lot to do with Evermeet and Moonblades. Beyond that, you'll just have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  11:27:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

A question here, so if the dragon flights happen in the appearance of a King Killer Star,

2) Is its name tied to something significant?

I can't answer the first question off the top of my head... To answer the second question, I must offer a spoiler about one of the short stories in the new Realms of the Elves. Highlight the following text to read:

SPOILER BEGINS
It's called the King Killer star because when elven magic triggered the first dragon flight, it caused the draconic rulers of the time to go berserk. These dragon kings were, in many cases, slain by their own subjects as the dragons rampaged. So, since the star lead to the killing of the kings, that was the name it earned.
SPOILER ENDS

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  12:42:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

From Elaine -

"As I recall, however, the Kingkiller star was a large and infrequently occuring comet, one traditionally associated with times of great upheaval for the elves. The real world reference I had in mind was Hailey's Comet, and its appearance in 1066, shortly before the Battle of Hastings. There's something incredibly powerful about "portents in the night skies," and it seems to me that the elves, who are so aware of and sensitive to starlight, would be particularly attuned to stellar events."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000