Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Summaries of FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:48:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, are there detailed summaries of the novels anywhere online? I find that I have a very poor memory for stories, especially in novels, even if I remember really enjoying them.

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Hi, are there detailed summaries of the novels anywhere online? I find that I have a very poor memory for stories, especially in novels, even if I remember really enjoying them.

Well met

It would certainly be useful to have, RodOdom. With all the vast amount of Realms novels released to date, it can be easy to let a number of them slip from memory. Alas, all i know of is our own collection of novel information here at Candlekeep.

If anyone knows of a more detailed collection of synopsis\outlines then i'd be interested to know

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  18:53:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the old paper version of the forgotten realms atlas covered timelines and story plots of the novels at that time. Additionally it breaks down the novels into sections and how each story played out. E-bay generally has this for auction. Check it out, it is worth the money just for the maps. I picked up mine back in the early 90's I think for about $8.00
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  22:09:29  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  03:26:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

the old paper version of the forgotten realms atlas covered timelines and story plots of the novels at that time. Additionally it breaks down the novels into sections and how each story played out. E-bay generally has this for auction. Check it out, it is worth the money just for the maps. I picked up mine back in the early 90's I think for about $8.00

However, it must be pointed out that this source has been long out of print. There have been scores of Realms novels published since the Atlas came out. It's a good resource, but it's far from being a comprehensive reference for the vast number of novels that are now in print.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  05:24:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right you are Wooly, I was just pointing out one resource of many, that reflects what the poster was asking for. I have yet to run across a "comprehensive reference" for realms novels. The Altas does however do a good job of outlining many of the realms novels, up to the point of when the Atlas was published in the early 90's. I hope this clarifies, my earlier statement, I was not trying to state that it was an all encompassing resource.

Edited by - scererar on 20 Feb 2006 05:26:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  05:29:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

However, it must be pointed out that this source has been long out of print. There have been scores of Realms novels published since the Atlas came out. It's a good resource, but it's far from being a comprehensive reference for the vast number of novels that are now in print.

Aye... it really only covers the novels that had been published up to the period the FR Atlas was printed.

If you're looking for more current info, I would greatly recommend the resource Big Al mentioned above.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:17:12  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage,

I was only able to see the novel, basically what the back cover stated about each book, and a couple of reviews. Am I missing something or is there more detailed information on each novel here at candlekeep.

Edited by - scererar on 20 Feb 2006 17:21:36
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  20:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage,

I was only able to see the novel, basically what the back cover stated about each book, and a couple of reviews. Am I missing something or is there more detailed information on each novel here at candlekeep.

Well met

Alas, that is all, scererar. We don't wish to give a complete detailed account of the story, for fear of spoiling the novel for others. The aforementioned pages are for reference of all available FR novels.

As an aside from this, we are currently collating a synopsis of all short stories to appear in FR anthologies, here on the forum.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  21:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, I spent about 40 Euros on my version. Seems as if buying that book in the early 90's would have been a good investement .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  23:03:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

quote:

Wow, I spent about 40 Euros on my version. Seems as if buying that book in the early 90's would have been a good investement .

1/2 price in a used book store, my friend. I just got lucky and found a good deal
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  23:11:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're patient, you can still get the Forgotten Realms Atlas for a good price on eBay. I see some hit $25, but I also see some go untouched at $10...

Go to Top of Page

Berzerker_prime
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Berzerker_prime's Homepage Send Berzerker_prime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're harder to find now that Fonstad has left us. I've been trying for a while, myself. I have been able to get my hands on her Atlas of Dragonlance and my mother owns a copy of her Atlas of Pern. Atlas of Middle-earth had a re-print recently due to the LotR movie craze as well and is currently easily found.

Her work is gorgeous, though. Even if you don't use it for novel information, the cartography is wonderful art.

Sweet water to you.

Berz.

Berzerker_prime
Nen lend ah lalaith lim, darthol i lĂș aphadad govatham.

Gaming quote of the week:
"Why does everyone assume I have a plan?"
"Because you were giving the orders!"
- Scondora and Elara, Fellowship of the Ever-Falling Troll.

RIP Alton Goodbarrel. We shalt always remember thee for thy ability to find traps... the hard way... even when yon 350 lb Dwarf walks over them first without triggering them.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage,

What Big Al said .

But yes... the blurb details provide only a basic insight into the content of each FR novel presented at Candlekeep.

The only other resource that I can think of, which is unfortunately off limits to anyone but myself, are the "notebooks" I put together while reading each and every FR novel -- they collect plot details, major characters, the thoughts and comments from FR authors here at Candlekeep (about the particular novel), and the Realmslore revealed within -- with page numbers for easy reference. I've been doing this since the ToT novels. I keep promising to send them to Big Al to include at Candlekeep... but the files are written in a code that recognises only SageOS. I have yet to convert them to either RTF or DOC format.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Feb 2006 01:43:58
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  08:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Sage,

What Big Al said .

But yes... the blurb details provide only a basic insight into the content of each FR novel presented at Candlekeep.

The only other resource that I can think of, which is unfortunately off limits to anyone but myself, are the "notebooks" I put together while reading each and every FR novel -- they collect plot details, major characters, the thoughts and comments from FR authors here at Candlekeep (about the particular novel), and the Realmslore revealed within -- with page numbers for easy reference. I've been doing this since the ToT novels. I keep promising to send them to Big Al to include at Candlekeep... but the files are written in a code that recognises only SageOS. I have yet to convert them to either RTF or DOC format.

Well met

Interesting, Sage, veeeery interesting. I hope these eventually see the light of day, i'd be interested to take a read. It's been a long time since I read some of the earlier Harpers novels, for instance, and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed them, memory fails me on some points. Mayhaps thy documents would aid me well

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  11:28:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

It's been a long time since I read some of the earlier Harpers novels, for instance, and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed them, memory fails me on some points. Mayhaps thy documents would aid me well

Are you sure it's not just that old age thing? Lots of snow on that mountain, Big Al...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  12:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye I might have known that would spark a comment from thee, Wooly

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  13:43:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Interesting, Sage, veeeery interesting. I hope these eventually see the light of day, i'd be interested to take a read. It's been a long time since I read some of the earlier Harpers novels, for instance, and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed them, memory fails me on some points. Mayhaps thy documents would aid me well
Aye...

I just finished up my Master of Chains file -- adding the few tidbits Lebow has shared here at Candlekeep about the book and Ryder's and Liam's status as of the end of the novel.

I can't really give a time frame on when they'll be coverted to a format everyone can use. However, I might just try converting one for now... send it to Candlekeep and see what type of reaction we get. If it's received well, it might prompt me to convert the rest.

What do you think?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  18:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Aye...

I just finished up my Master of Chains file -- adding the few tidbits Lebow has shared here at Candlekeep about the book and Ryder's and Liam's status as of the end of the novel.

I can't really give a time frame on when they'll be coverted to a format everyone can use. However, I might just try converting one for now... send it to Candlekeep and see what type of reaction we get. If it's received well, it might prompt me to convert the rest.

What do you think?

Well met

Aye, so long as it doesn't jeapoardise thy other tasks at hand, Sage

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  00:19:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, it won't. This isn't something I intend to do right away... I'll leave it until after I've got hardly anything else on my plate (I can't remember the last time that happened ).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000