Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Paladins in Forgotten Realms books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  03:11:03  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a little off the topic, but Erik, I really enjoyed these two characters, they almost remind me of Torm and Rathan from, the knights of myth Drannor. I especially like their individual fighting styles. Any possibility of these two appearing in the future?

Additionally Erik, according to your bio, we are from the same geographic location, at least if school attendance counts as residence.

Edited by - scererar on 04 Mar 2006 03:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Scot Storm
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  06:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Scot Storm's Homepage Send Scot Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow scribes and great ones,
To put a twist in this matter of a paladin as a hero, Im sure that your familar with the Dungeons Masters Guide regarding a Blackguard Paladin as being anti-paladin or being an evil paladin in itself. Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin. If you remember in DCs Hall of Justice their was an evil hero for every good guy. With powers that combat each other. For example Green Lanterns main enemy who's name I forgot had a yellow ring of weakness to combat green lanterns ring of power. Sorry to get off the subject of Forgotten Realms bear with me. I think Blackguard Paladins are cool and bring flavor to the game.
Storm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  07:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sinestro was/is Green Lantern's archnemesis.
Although I always liked the Shark and Hector Hammond better.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  16:54:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin.

It's not a Realms tale, but in the Rose of the Prophet trilogy by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, an evil paladin fought alongside a good-aligned desert nomad. There was this one really great line on his part: "Nomad -- you have stolen from me, cheated me, tricked me, and now it seems likely you are going to get me killed by my own people." Ibn Jad shook his head. "By Zhakrin, I grow to like you!" (Pages 351-352, Paladin of the Night)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  04:55:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Hello fellow scribes and great ones,
To put a twist in this matter of a paladin as a hero, Im sure that your familar with the Dungeons Masters Guide regarding a Blackguard Paladin as being anti-paladin or being an evil paladin in itself. Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin. If you remember in DCs Hall of Justice their was an evil hero for every good guy. With powers that combat each other. For example Green Lanterns main enemy who's name I forgot had a yellow ring of weakness to combat green lanterns ring of power. Sorry to get off the subject of Forgotten Realms bear with me. I think Blackguard Paladins are cool and bring flavor to the game.
Storm

well then, let's add Scyllua Darkhope, once devoted to Tyr, now Blackgaurd of Bane. She made a short appearance in the farthest reach. Additionally, yes I do remember at least one Paladin fighting an "anti-paladin". in the pools trilogy, Miltaidies, destroys his arch-enemy, who also returns from the grave. the rest would be considered spoilers ( I forgot his name, but it's there, trust me )
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  15:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scererar,

I'm going to reply to your questions in my thread over in the Chamber of Sages, so as not to disrupt this fine discussion.

http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930&whichpage=6

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  03:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

The paladin Bars from Ghostwalker. He is forthright and chivalrous, but those qualities are never written in a heavy-handed fashion.

He was certainly a more interesting paladin. Having "boisterous arguments" with his friend. They liked to poke fun at one another and throw insults but were serious when they really wanted to be. Definitely not the uppity paladin one is more familiar with.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:34:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

The paladin Bars from Ghostwalker. He is forthright and chivalrous, but those qualities are never written in a heavy-handed fashion.

He was certainly a more interesting paladin. Having "boisterous arguments" with his friend. They liked to poke fun at one another and throw insults but were serious when they really wanted to be. Definitely not the uppity paladin one is more familiar with.

I would agree with this assesment also, I truly enjoyed this character, with his fighting style and unique counter part, who was always there to lend a helping hand, dagger towards the lastest foe, or great one-liner to get them through the day

I just saw that was my 200th post, what no balloons, oh well I guess I will just have to continue to try and catch up with the rest of you

Edited by - scererar on 09 Mar 2006 02:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Hurusan
Acolyte

Austria
4 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  21:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Hurusan's Homepage Send Hurusan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does anybody know a novel with a member of the Hammers of Grimjaws order as main charakter? or a becoming member
(they are quite rare i believe)

i think it is an elite paladin order

i would also be happy if someone can name a book with a member of one of the other paladinorders of Tyr as main hero

Out of Order.

Edited by - Hurusan on 11 Mar 2007 21:25:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  23:44:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No specific novels as such.

And it is a Tyrran Paladin order. You may want to look through the "Tyr" entry of Faiths & Avatars for lore about the Hammers of Grimjaws.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Mar 2007 23:44:51
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:12:34  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is slightly off topic, but I am curious as to whether the Priam Agrivar mentioned several times in this thread has any blood relation to another character of that surname . . . possibly one Kyriani Agrivar?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate

This is slightly off topic, but I am curious as to whether the Priam Agrivar mentioned several times in this thread has any blood relation to another character of that surname . . . possibly one Kyriani Agrivar?

Yes, although I don't recall if they are cousins or whatnot.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:24:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kyriani is his half sister.
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:24:30  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently there was an undead paladin of Tyr named Miltiades in the Pools trilogy. I've never read them though, so I couldn't tell you which specific one(s) he appeared in.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:33:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pools of Darkness and Pool of Twilight.

See also, Tarl Desanea's entry in 2e's Heroes' Lorebook for more on Miltiades.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  01:34:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Pools of Darkness and Pool of Twilight.

See also, Tarl Desanea's entry in 2e's Heroes' Lorebook for more on Miltiades.

And the Double Diamond novelettes. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  03:46:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Kyriani is his half sister.

Yup. They share the same father -- the late Ostus Agrivar. He was, as I recall, a wizard.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  03:04:05  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that the character Jherek(sp?) from the Threat from the Sea series wound up being a paladin by the end of the set. Seems like he was statted as a paladin in a Dragon about that time. Although I guess being a sailor, he's probably not a "traditional" paladin.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  10:19:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As this thread has been revived today, I will through in my tidbits as well:

The Twilight War trilogy of Paul S. Kemp features a Paladin of Lathander, Abelar Corrinthal from Saerb/Sembia.

Book II & III of the Sellsword Trilogy by Bob Salvatore features the great paladin champion Gareth Dragonsbane also known from the great 'Bloodstone War' Adventure trilogy.

And while I am at it: for further discussion see also this thread here at Candlekeep.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Jan 2008 10:30:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000