Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The national character of Impiltur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  00:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I wouldn't lie to you, Arivia. Well, not about Impiltur, at least.

-- George Krashos

Good, George, good...and now I shall return to more Impilturian lore and writing my articles for the Compendium...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  00:38:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At lot of the Heralds in Cormyr have also been mentioned/stated in other sourcebooks. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  22:18:00  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but 'ahead in the queu.' What queu? I wish. :-) And George, I'm happy to work with you on something any time.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:07:14  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got Champions of Valor and the Impiltur lore is unbelivably good... the whole second dynasty is spelled out in great detail, apart from the exact descent of the current King and Lords of Imphras.

Quick question though, is Queen Sambryl really 75? And if so, does she magically preserve her youth or does she appear as her age suggests?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  22:23:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In The Rage, she's described as looking like a middle-aged woman with "brassy" hair, so she's either very well-preserved, a very human-looking half-elf (probably without her mother letting her 'father' know about it), does something to appear younger than she is, or is younger than 75.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  00:36:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

I finally got Champions of Valor and the Impiltur lore is unbelivably good... the whole second dynasty is spelled out in great detail, apart from the exact descent of the current King and Lords of Imphras.

Quick question though, is Queen Sambryl really 75? And if so, does she magically preserve her youth or does she appear as her age suggests?

Glad you liked it. Eric and I worked hard on it, to be sure. Yes, Sambryl is indeed 75, but doesn't look her age. She has had the benefit of longevity magic thanks to her Mage Royal so looks to be in her early 50s. The dyed hair look in The Rage is due to ... well, let's just say that someone's playing with her mind a tad lately.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  01:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that was just because many women of all ages prefer to dye their hair.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:22:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I thought that was just because many women of all ages prefer to dye their hair.

It's not the dyed hair part so much as the way Richard Lee Byers described how she looked with dyed hair.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  10:23:19  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Glad you liked it. Eric and I worked hard on it, to be sure. Yes, Sambryl is indeed 75, but doesn't look her age. She has had the benefit of longevity magic thanks to her Mage Royal so looks to be in her early 50s. The dyed hair look in The Rage is due to ... well, let's just say that someone's playing with her mind a tad lately.

-- George Krashos

Well Champions of Valor had some great lore indeed, the lineage of the Royal family was lovingly convuluted. It was fun to scribble out a partial family tree to work it all out.

So, who is the current Mage Royal of Impiltur?

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's not the dyed hair part so much as the way Richard Lee Byers described how she looked with dyed hair.

-- George Krashos

Well, I don't really dye my hair (as I like my natural color), but I DO know that blond dye, and probably red, will eventually become "brassy" looking over time.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  17:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also thinking...why does Sambryl want to look younger? Why couldn't a 75 year old woman who looks her age also radiate strength and dignity?

I've noticed this with a lot of other characters too. Do the people of the Realms have the same fear of aging that many modern western people do? Does looking old imply weakness, ugliness, and being "past one's peak" the way it often does in the real world?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000