Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Curious about Elminster in Hell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  04:38:11  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SPOILERS!

First, at the end of Elminster in Hell, when Mystra gives Halaster the golden fire to use on Asmodeus, what was that exactly? Was that a spell (and if so, what level?) or was it some new part of Mystra we haven't seen yet (for instance, a step higher than the silver fire the Chosen can wield)?

And second, I have heard that Elminster falling down into Avernus was NOT the same scenario during the Time of Troubles when Elminster fell into the portal after the destruction of the temple of Lathander. I have been led to believe that it is two different events. Is this true? If they are two seperate events, it would explain why Mystra/Midnight appeared in Avernus to rescue Elminster, that always stumped me when I thought they were the same event, because when Elminster fell into the portal after the temple of Lathander was destroyed, Midnight was still a mortal and the previous incarnation of Mystra was dead.

I hope somebody can shine some light on these questions for me.

Calrond

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  04:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no clue about the golden fire, but I can explain the other one.

Yes, El did not fall into Hell as chronicled in Elminster In Hell during the Time of Troubles; rather, he slipped into a portal while defending Shadowdale in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. Note that this is from memory---I might have gotten small to large details wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  04:51:31  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! That makes a lot of sense. I have the Return of the Archwizards books but I haven't read them yet. I'll certainly have to get around to it.

Calrond
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  18:52:12  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

Ah! That makes a lot of sense. I have the Return of the Archwizards books but I haven't read them yet. I'll certainly have to get around to it.

Calrond

What are you waiting for, it is a great trilogy, IMO. call in sick to work, settle down on your favorite chair and start reading my friend
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  00:26:35  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard it's a good one. Does anybody know anything about the "gold fire" that Halaster's spell put into Asmodeus to make him leave Elminster alone? Spell or something like silver fire? And does anybody know how Halaster's encounters with Mystra in Elminster in Hell have affected him in the time since?

Calrond
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  03:19:49  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, I must be getting old and losing a few braincells in the process... because I do not recall Halaster fighting Asmodeus at all...

He might have come down to tear a new hole into that annoying devil prince that was toying with Elminster... but Asmodeus? really?
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  03:48:34  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can remember Mystra "donates" Halaster's insanity to Asmodeus they do not fight.
It is only Mystra's part of honoring their agreement...
But do not take that for granted as it has been a while that I read the novel...

Cheers!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  22:56:25  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster does make an appearance in Elminster in Hell, attempting to assist the Simbul in rescuing Elminster I beleive. It has been a while since I have read it though.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  12:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this novel today and quite enjoyed it. I know a lot of people list it as their least favorite Elminster novel and I can understand how that many be.

I found the overall story to be quite drawn out and would be something which another author would take probably a single chapter over, but looking back, bunching all the events which occured in Asmodus together I enjoyed it. All of Elminster's memory scenes were great and full of Realms flavor. I enjoyed those most out of the whole novel. There were some great nasty scenes in Asmodus too and I quite liked Nergal. My only grumble was that he didn't come across quite right for me, he put up with Elminster messing him around too much I also didn't like the usage of square brackets to describe brief actions. It felt wrong and more of something that would appear in a screenplay document than a novel.

Good novel though and much better than The Temptation of Elminster.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

veeps
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  08:12:28  Show Profile  Visit veeps's Homepage Send veeps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know in what year both Elminster in Hell and Eliminster's Daughter takes place?
Go to Top of Page

gss_000
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  09:18:08  Show Profile  Visit gss_000's Homepage Send gss_000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster in Hell 1372 DR
Elminster's Daughter 1373 DR

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  16:04:34  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to know what happened in Baator after Asmodeus went hoo-haa.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  01:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually found the "memories" in this novel to be far more engaging than the main plot...and that's not a bad thing, since it seemed like the memories took up more actual page space.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  11:34:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the general suggestion is to read the Return of the Archwizards trilogy before reading Elminster in Hell?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  17:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "memories" packaged up in an anthology and sold as such would have been great. Unfortunately they have no place in a novel entitled "Elminster in Hell".

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I actually found the "memories" in this novel to be far more engaging than the main plot...and that's not a bad thing, since it seemed like the memories took up more actual page space.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  17:58:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rinonalyrna, the memory parts of the book were very entertaining where as the Hell bits held little interest for me. Mainly because action and fighting scenes in books does not interest me that much, but also because the short glimpses, at least to me, made it possible to give the scenes a focus they would lack in a larger story.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  18:07:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

So the general suggestion is to read the Return of the Archwizards trilogy before reading Elminster in Hell?

I would since I like things to be logical and in order. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  01:20:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I would since I like things to be logical and in order. :)

Thanks Kuje! I try to get a hold on the Archwizards trilogy before reading El in Hell, if it doesn't take too long....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  01:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
The "memories" packaged up in an anthology and sold as such would have been great. Unfortunately they have no place in a novel entitled "Elminster in Hell".

Not sure I agree with that. :) I think Ed intended this novel to be a bunch of stories within a story. I have to say it was surprising, but in a good way.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  01:42:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster In Hell is probably my second favorite of the Elminster series. Elminster's Daughter is my favorite of the lot, then El in Hell, then probably Elminster in Myth Drannor, Making of a Mage, and finally my least favorite was probably the Temptation of Elminster, perhaps because I was waiting for one pivotal plot point in "Temptation" and it was more about how his attitude developed over time.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  03:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El in Hell is my favorite FR novel. I had this to say a while back...

quote:
In the heart of a million devils and more, Mystra glared and slew, glared and slew.

A million devils?!?! I think this is the one and only time the figure "million" is used in the FR library. I had a fit when I read this scene. Only Greenwood could command such power in an FR novel.

Elminster in Hell is the most amazing, exciting, and (truly) ambitious novel of the entire FR library, and a warm pat on the back for any reader who has been following Elminster throughout his exploits.

The novel contains moments that are far beyond anything found in any other FR book. The Simbul and her Blood Ring, Halaster, Geryon, Asmodeus, and, of course, Mystra herself battling the minions of Hell...

I understand the dream sequences stray from the main plot line, and I do remember flipping ahead, asking myself, "Man, when do we get back to the hellish blood-letting?" Those memory sequences act as a wonderful pat on the back for any FR reader who has read all of Greenwood's books. It also makes sense at this point that we are given a glimpse of Elminster's mind, considering how Elminster is possibly insane, and even more so after the scouring of his mind. Elminster in Hell gives us a look at Elminster's inner thoughts, and it also lets us see his most prized memories. This is a wonderful thing for a character to give to us. The memory sequences have a purpose, and that purpose goes beyond the novel itself.

Elminster in Hell is epic, it's ambitious, it's simply amazing. It does something that NONE of the other FR novels do: it challanges the reader.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 04 Jul 2006 03:36:19
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  03:45:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want the novel to end and wanted many, many more memories.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  03:51:06  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too, especially how he interacted in the past with the other Chosen. I'd like to see more about the Elminster-Storm relationship. I had no idea that had gone on until I read it in El in Hell.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000