Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ankhapur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trellian
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  19:18:26  Show Profile  Visit trellian's Homepage Send trellian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has this city received any treatment in a product? I have only found a small paragraph about it in the campaign setting. I really only need a small blurb to read to my players as they travel through, something like how it is, the people, architecture, etc.. I understand the nickame of the place is the City of the Golden Spires?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  19:39:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20040121a

In part it offers this:
quote:
One place that has seen Moonstars activity recently is the city of Ankhapur, which is on the northern shore of the Lake of Steam. Not long ago, a powerful Cyricist mage named Pristoleph (CE male fire genasi Sor8/Dev5 of Cyric) took over the neighboring city of Innarlith, the largest trading city on the eastern half of the Lake of Steam. As Ankhapur has, in recent years, built new roads and improved trade conditions there, the new Cyricist regime in Innarlith views the city ruled by King Janol I (NG male human Rog10) as a threat to its incredibly lucrative trade income.

http://toril.info/lakeofsteam.htm might provide some useful information as well, however not all at this site might be canon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  20:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Empires of the Shining Sea is the main source on Ankhapur---it's now out of print, but can be picked up in electronic form at Paizo. Read-aloud text in city stat blocks is a really new development---in fact, I can't remember any source besides Five Nations(an Eberron supplement) that has it so far. I'm actually looking forward to Mysteries of the Moonsea and possibly Power of Faerun to see how the city stat block develops...call me a formatting junkie.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  21:14:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not believe "city stat blocks" are being asked for at all, which provides very limited data. What it appears to me is being asked for is descriptive text. What the city looks like from the distance and how it looks when one walks its streets.

The spires would be noticed from the distance, but once on the streets all one can see would be the base of the buildings (buildings that tower into the sky).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  21:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The novel King Pinch is set in Ankhapur, the Boiled City.
Go to Top of Page

trellian
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  08:14:59  Show Profile  Visit trellian's Homepage Send trellian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm not really looking for descriptive text like in modules, more a general description of how the city looks like, smells, sounds and so on. Maybe a little about recent history. I'll check into the wizards link and maybe see if I can get hold of a copy of the Shining South.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  08:29:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trellian

I'll check into the wizards link and maybe see if I can get hold of a copy of the Shining South.
That's Empires of the Shining Sea... not the Shining South tome .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Jan 2006 08:30:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000