Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pact with Fzoul blows up in Blackstaffs face
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  21:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got a hold of the Legacy of the Green Regent Module LGR22 As seconds slip away. ... and well I think Khelbhan has just become the realms Nevile Chamberlin. The Zhentarim have mustered an army in Llorkh with the intent of invading Loudwater!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  21:59:59  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure the Blackstaff disagrees

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

On Khelben's thought re: Fzoul betraying their agreement--"Unlike your Lord Neville Chamberlain, I have multitudinous ways to wreak my displeasure upon Lord Chembryl, should he renege on his word. Nor am I so squeamish as to stay my hand if such should happen."

On Steven's thoughts---tiredsleepymustrestgobed

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  22:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I am sure the Blackstaff disagrees

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

On Khelben's thought re: Fzoul betraying their agreement--"Unlike your Lord Neville Chamberlain, I have multitudinous ways to wreak my displeasure upon Lord Chembryl, should he renege on his word. Nor am I so squeamish as to stay my hand if such should happen."

On Steven's thoughts---tiredsleepymustrestgobed

The point is Fzoul clearly has RENEGED on their agreement

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  22:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I just got a hold of the Legacy of the Green Regent Module LGR22 As seconds slip away. ... and well I think Khelbhan has just become the realms Nevile Chamberlin. The Zhentarim have mustered an army in Llorkh with the intent of invading Loudwater!

Where can I get my hands on this? I'm not really familiar with Green Regent Modules, are they put out by WOTC or is Green Regent a publisher???
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  23:00:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

Where can I get my hands on this? I'm not really familiar with Green Regent Modules, are they put out by WOTC or is Green Regent a publisher???

Legacy of the Green Regent is the official FR RPGA campaign

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frop/welcome

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  23:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of this, where are the original details of this pact? I read about it in CoS:W and Steven's thread, but I can't find the original source...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  23:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Speaking of this, where are the original details of this pact? I read about it in CoS:W and Steven's thread, but I can't find the original source...

Cloak and Dagger

Also check out Lords of Darkness: the Zhentarim under the allies section

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2006 :  23:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cloak and Dagger

Ah, okay, so sections of tomes I haven't read yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  00:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Cloak and Dagger

Ah, okay, so sections of tomes I haven't read yet.

Just you wait until Alaundo gets home and reads that!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  00:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just you wait until Alaundo gets home and reads that!

Too many books, so little time...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  00:42:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we know for a fact that Fzoul is behind it?

Also, the agreement stated in Cloak & Dagger did not concern the Zhentarim. It was followers of Xvim that it specified. Here's two quotes from that source (pages 11 and 10, respectively):

quote:
Strangest of all is the hidden agreement Fzoul strikes with Khelben the Blackstaff. In exchange for noninterference with each other's plans, the Xvimlar expansions are limited to south of the River Chionthar and east of the Thunder Peaks/Desertsmouth Mountains.

quote:
Khelhen and Fzoul meet in secret in Voonlar, where Khelben provides Fzoul with information about Lord Orgauth, and Fwul vows to limit the Xvimlar's expansion to the east of the Thunder Peaks for 10,000 days. (Only the two of them know of this arrangement until it is uncovered by the Harpers next year.)

It's a minor distinction, but an important one, I think.

Later sources, saying the deal concerned the Zhentarim, could be either mistaken or oversimplifying it...

I know that my opinion is not universal, but I'm not willing to think Fzoul is going to pull a fast one on Khelben and get away with it.

On another note, where can one get these modules? You sent me a few 6 months ago, but I'd like to be able to d/l them for myself -- and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  01:05:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always tought those modules were not canon...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  04:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could very well be argued that Fzoul has a very large loophole. Especially if his deal states Xvimlar expansion

After all the church of Xvimlar no longer exist!

Fzoul is the leader of the church of Bane and he could well say that his agreement with Blackstaff is no longer binding as the agreement doesnt mention the Church of Bane. I can see Fzoul doing this as it fits his alignment well, a LE person would use a loop holes o get out of an agreement

As for the arguement that Khelban would do something to Fzoul if he walked away from there deal. Blackstaff may find hes bitten off more than he could chew if he tries to bump off Fzoul. As he would probably end up in a fight with Bane himself (Sean Reynolds practically states this would happan in the Using Deities in the Forgotten Realms section of Deities does and Donts)

Blackstaff maybe a Chosen and but he would be no match for Bane and Fzoul

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  05:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think the loophole would be very fitting for Fzoul to take advantage of. I also don't think it would prompt Blackstaff to strike out against him. He knows how destructive a confrontation such as that would be.

Instead I would see Khelben putting the situation in the back of his mind and from now on remembering that the Chosen of Bane cannot be trusted. He could also set some Moonstars up to thwarting Zhent activity, which isn't very far fetched for a Harper-ish organization.

And as for Khelben taking on Fzoul/Bane.... I hope this thread doesn't turn into the mother of all verus threads.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  05:28:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It could very well be argued that Fzoul has a very large loophole. Especially if his deal states Xvimlar expansion

After all the church of Xvimlar no longer exist!

Fzoul is the leader of the church of Bane and he could well say that his agreement with Blackstaff is no longer binding as the agreement doesnt mention the Church of Bane. I can see Fzoul doing this as it fits his alignment well, a LE person would use a loop holes o get out of an agreement

As for the arguement that Khelban would do something to Fzoul if he walked away from there deal. Blackstaff may find hes bitten off more than he could chew if he tries to bump off Fzoul. As he would probably end up in a fight with Bane himself (Sean Reynolds practically states this would happan in the Using Deities in the Forgotten Realms section of Deities does and Donts)

Blackstaff maybe a Chosen and but he would be no match for Bane and Fzoul

Yeah, but Mystra and Blackstaff would be a match for Bane and Fzoul...

But that's not the Blackstaff's style... And, as I've mentioned before, he's someone who will take the long view -- heck, he stole the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings years (more than a decade!) before he did anything with it! I'd not be surprised to find out that Khelben has plots in place to make this blow up in Fzoul's face, not the other way around...

And remember, a deal goes two ways. Would Fzoul really throw 30 years of non-interference out the window for the sake of taking a single town? He can literally get away with murder, if he stays in his playground. Why lose that advantage?

Until I see something that says otherwise, I'm thinking Fzoul is not behind this.

And again, where can these modules be found?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  05:31:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Son of Thunder, I could see Geildarr being involved, though I'll not elaborate further for any that haven't read it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  08:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but Mystra and Blackstaff would be a match for Bane and Fzoul...

But that's not the Blackstaff's style... And, as I've mentioned before, he's someone who will take the long view -- heck, he stole the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings years (more than a decade!) before he did anything with it! I'd not be surprised to find out that Khelben has plots in place to make this blow up in Fzoul's face, not the other way around...

And remember, a deal goes two ways. Would Fzoul really throw 30 years of non-interference out the window for the sake of taking a single town? He can literally get away with murder, if he stays in his playground. Why lose that advantage?

Until I see something that says otherwise, I'm thinking Fzoul is not behind this.

And again, where can these modules be found?

The modules can be obtained from FLGS (LGR modules where distributed in those monthly packs gaming stores recieve)

If you have Emule you can get them from that as PDF files

Mystra would probably find herself in hot water if she bought into that fight. AO would more than likely step in have a go at her

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ferratus
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  18:32:25  Show Profile  Visit ferratus's Homepage Send ferratus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pact with Fzoul was to limit the activity of Fzoul's clergy (Xvim and Bane) rather than to put a quash on Zhentariam affairs. The agreement is not a legally binding one, but rather a simple agreement to stay out of each other's way. If Fzoul keeps his Zhentariam from cow-tipping in the North, Khelben won't send Moonstars to crawl up Fzoul's nether regions.

So the question is, what is Khelben up to? It seems awfully short sighted to limit the Banites but leave the Zhentariam loose. However, it is really quite simple.

With Fzoul's ascension over the core of the Zhentariam, Manshoon has been relegated to "member at large" and Semmenon has bolted. Fzoul's power is cheifly through the worshippers and clerics of Bane, the same type of people which are prevented from coming into Khelben's sphere of influence. What are the Zhentariam without the triumvirate ruling them? A splintered mass of petty magelords and warlords attempting to grab whatever peice of the action they can. The same type of people who Fzoul probably couldn't overtly control anyway. The Zhentariam in the North is probably more divided than it has ever been in its history.

The most tangible thing that Khelben gets out of this is the chaos of Darkhold. With Semenon gone, the Cyricists are left in control of this place, which will probably have 1 of 2 consequences.

1) The Cyricists will destroy themselves in an debacle of madness and infighting

2) The Cyricists will splinter Darkhold from Zhentariam control, causing the Zhentariam to bleed away their resources and men in the Western Heartlands.

Either way it is plus for Khelben and the other people of the North. As well, the Zhentariam at work without any religious overtones in the North (most notably the Anauroch Desert and the Silver Marches) are a minor problem compared to the Shades. If the Zhentariam have ambitions in the Sword Coast North and the Savage Frontier, they have to cross the Anauroch Desert through the Black Road, or circumnavigate it through the Stonelands. Either way, they are going to have to defend that route from the Shadovar, and seriously annoy that city state's resources and manpower.

Fzoul's rewards for the deal is that he gets to be top dog of the Zhentariam, and can concentrate on consolidating his power over the Moonsea, the Dales, Sembia, Cormyr, and Mintar. Of course, he still has to deal with the Harpers and the other adventuring heroes and Khelben is essentially relying on Elminster, Storm Silverhand, and the rabid ideologues of Twilight Hall to keep Fzoul in check outside of his influence. That is probably not something that these folk appreciate. So barred from Southern expansion by Elminster, the Harpers and the Dalesfolk, essentially Fzoul has to direct his energies West and North. In the west, he has to fight the shades. In the North, he will have a fight with the Vaasans, Nars and their General "Winter".

Of course, Elminster has prophecised that the current plots of Khelben will eventually lead to sorrow, though he also said that they were the will of Mystra. So we'll just have to see how this all unravels.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  20:04:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Splendors: Waterdeep and Murry Leeder's book Son of Thunder both deal with, peripherally, the situation in Darkhold and Llork, so they are good sources to check out if you are curious about the situation.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  19:19:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seriously don`t believe that Fzoul is so stupid that he will violate his agreement with the Blackstaff. My impression of Fzoul is that he is an intelligent man. Surely he knows that Khelben is not to trifle with?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  11:23:33  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the Cyricist are behind this, I think the pact is still operational. After all, why would Fzoul throw it all away in a region that cyricist dominate, anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  12:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

If the Cyricist are behind this, I think the pact is still operational. After all, why would Fzoul throw it all away in a region that cyricist dominate, anyway?

Its not the Cyricists the Church of Bane in Orabar is also in on it and I dont see them fighting along side the Cyricists

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  23:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The write up for as Seconds slip away

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frgr/20060419a

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  20:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of which, will the events of Blackstaff change the terms of this agreement?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:28:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Speaking of which, will the events of Blackstaff change the terms of this agreement?

Why should they? Fzoul has no way of knowing about the events of that novel.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True.

Though one thinks that it would eventually come out.

That's spoiler territory though and not really able to be discussed. Suffice to say, it would deeply impact the stability of the city though. We should start a separate topic for that.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:39:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I wouldn't think so, or at least... not in the foreseeable future.

SPOILERS
Given Khelben's knack planning things in the long run, I'd imagine he's the type of guy whose had several contingencies in place for quite some time (in case of his death). These contingencies likely ensure that a "status-quo" of sorts remains for quite some time after his unfortunate departure.

To put it simply, Khelben would definitely plan ahead to ensure his own death wouldn't immediately disrupt any of his other long-term plans/agreements/pacts with others. He'd work to make life as stable as possible for his lady love, his apprentices, Waterdeep, and Tsarra herself, I'd imagine.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000