Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Coinage of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  00:48:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is anyone aware of a compiled list of coins in use in the Realms, both past and present? I know Ed provided an essay on this at one point but I have not been able to locate it through a search of the archives. I'd love to have both Ed's reply and any other resources that anyone is aware of.

Any help appreciated.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  00:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the 3e FRCS and Forgotten Realms Adventures. I'm tired and can't think of other sources right now, even though I know they exist.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  00:59:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, we have Faraer's ever-wonderful listing -

"My incomplete list.

/copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum/other/
Cormyr/thumb/falcon/blue eye/lion/tricrown//
Sembia/steelpense/hawk/electrum/…/—//FRA p. 129
-Selgaunt/penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun//Sembia novel series
Calimshan///////
-Calimport/unarch/decarch/centarch/bicenta/kilarch//
-Memnon//red worm/////FRA p. 129
…/rada, niften, spanner/espedrille/tazo, zonth////FRA p. 129
Amn/fandar /taran/decime (centaur)/danter/roldon (pearl)//Lands of Intrigue: Amn p. 13
Silverymoon///electrum moon (2/1 ep)////FRA p. 129
Tethyr (new)/donsar (lash)/paxar (blade)/corlar (king)/aenar (queen), brakar (star) (2 gp)/daublar (cup)//Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr p. 15
-Zazesspur////gulder///
-Ithmong////moelan///
-Myratma////myrat///
-Saradush////zoth///
Waterdeep/nib/shard/moon/dragon/sun/toal (2/– gp), harbor moon (50/2 gp)/GTR p. 26
Vast///////
-Ravens Bluff////raven///The City of Ravens Bluff p. 66, 79
Western Heartlands///////
///////
Chessenta//talent//drake///FR10 Old Empires p. 56
Unther/wedge (¼ cp)/egora//sheka///The Alabaster Staff
Serôs (pearls)/white (seyar)/yellow (hayar)//green (tayar)/blue (nuyar)//Sea of Fallen Stars p. 55
?////highcrown (HoF p. 64)/plat//"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jan 2006 01:02:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:01:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ed has discussed coinage in the Realms in both his compiled '04 and '05 replies here at Candlekeep. You can check the mainsite itself, or simply follow the directions on Kuje's site:- http://home.rochester.rr.com/kuje/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:04:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another listing, mostly taken from the coinage section in the aforementioned FR Adventures tome -

";copper;silver;electrum;gold;platinum;ot her
Cormyr;thumb;falcon;blue eye;lion;tricrown;
Sembia;steelpense;hawk;electrum;…;—;
Selgaunt;penny;raven;ring;fivestar;sun;
Calimshan;;;;;;
Calimport;unarch;decarch;centarch;bicent a;kilarch;
Memnon;;red worm;;;;
…;rada, niften, spanner;espedrille;tazo, zonth;;;
Amn;fandar ;taran;decime (centaur);danter;roldon (pearl);
Silverymoon;;;electrum moon (2/1 ep);;;
Tethyr (new);donsar (lash);paxar (blade);corlar (king);aenar (queen), brakar (star) (2 gp);daublar (cup);
Zazesspur;;;;gulder;;
Ithmong;;;;moelan;;
Myratma;;;;myrat;;
Saradush;;;;zoth;;
Waterdeep;nib;shard;moon;dragon;sun;toal (2/– gp), harbor moon (50/2 gp)
Vast;;;;;;
Ravens Bluff;;;;raven;;
Western Heartlands;;;;;;
;;;;;;
Thay;;;;;;
Chessenta;;talent;;drake;;
Unther;wedge (¼ cp);egora;;sheka;;
?;;;;highcrown;plat;
VANISHED REALMS;;;;;;
Cormanthyr;thalver;bedoar;thammarch;shil maer;ruendil;yulthaari
Myth Drannor;;tsargan;;lionar;sheelba;
Athalantar;;;;crown;;
Delzoun;;;;;;
Waterdeep (ancient);;;;toal (3 gp);;
;;;;;;
Serôs (pearls);white (seyar);yellow (hayar);;green (tayar);blue (nuyar);"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:05:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more mentions... picked up from various FR sources -

* Sembian copper pennies
* silver Sembian ravens
* gold coins stamped with circled dragons -- in Waterdeep
* Sembian gold fivestars

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:14:30  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all!

I knew some of those coins (especially the Sembian ones ), but I vaguely recalled one of Ed's replies, rife with otherwise unpublished details and lore, and I wanted to get at it without wading through the two hundred or so pages of EG Q&A. In other words, I'm being lazy.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 26 Jan 2006 01:19:35
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:28:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm beginning to wonder if there is a way to make those replies easier to get through then..... They have a table of contents that goes with them.... Which has the same dates that correspond to Ed's reply, which is also dated the same date.... so I'm not sure how else to make it easier to use.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:34:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a way to make those replies easier to get through then..... They have a table of contents that goes with them.... Which has the same dates that correspond to Ed's reply, which is also dated the same date.... so I'm not sure how else to make it easier to use.....

Include the questions, and add hyperlinks?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  01:55:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje,

I'm afraid I did not look carefully enough at the files and I missed the index. I assumed the compilation was just that -- a pdf of Ed's replies and nothing more. The index is excellent! I will look through it and find what I need. Thank you for pointing it out. Great tool.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  02:23:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I included the questions in the Table of Contents. :) If people are using the Table of Contents. I.E. If someone asked about a certain temple in Myth Drannor for instance, then the Table of Conents mentions said temple, which would then be in the same dated reply of Eds. :) Hyperlinks?.... to where?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  02:25:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Kuje,

I'm afraid I did not look carefully enough at the files and I missed the index. I assumed the compilation was just that -- a pdf of Ed's replies and nothing more. The index is excellent! I will look through it and find what I need. Thank you for pointing it out. Great tool.

Paul

Ah, that explains it. :)

I'm just a little frustrated because I thought that I made those files easy to use..... But no worries then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  02:35:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I included the questions in the Table of Contents. :) If people are using the Table of Contents. I.E. If someone asked about a certain temple in Myth Drannor for instance, then the Table of Conents mentions said temple, which would then be in the same dated reply of Eds. :) Hyperlinks?.... to where?

I didn't know about the ToC... Hyperlinking the question to the answer would be a cool feature.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  02:58:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't know about the ToC... Hyperlinking the question to the answer would be a cool feature.

Ah, :) Everyone seems to forget about the Table of Contents. I'll see what I can do about the hyperlinks though and I might redesign the ToC after I get my NPC project finished. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  07:21:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah, :) Everyone seems to forget about the Table of Contents. I'll see what I can do about the hyperlinks though and I might redesign the ToC after I get my NPC project finished. :)

That could be quite an undertaking, depending upon how you go about it. If you could use some help with it... let me know .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  07:24:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Three mods managed to de-rail a scroll, again... Two in one day. Lucky Big Al isn't here, or he'd have our heads .

Having said that, we really should now try to get back on-topic... .

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jan 2006 07:24:45
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  10:12:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, good idea
How about posting Ed's old reply here?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:48:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea Kaje .

The first -

"March 23, 2004: Hello, all. Ed finally weighs in on the coin questions from thom (and yes, I can confirm that we found ‘curious’ coins once or twice that we took to sages to identify, nut never had any troubles spending any treasure coins we found. SAVING, now . . . THAT was harder :}):

1. Yes and yes.

2. Sembian coins have the arms of Sembia on one side, and the denomination (above) and the date (in DR) curving around a proof stamp [mint mark] on the other (yes, curving, regardless of the shape of the coin). Sembian coins often have a bluish tinge to them from being cleaned (of the grease they get on them from the stampings) by being held in a flame. The grease is deliberately “cooked into” the iron coins, to inhibit rust (it does a fair, not foolproof, job).

3. Modern Cormyrean coins bear the monarch’s face and name on side, and a date, denomination, and mint mark [almost always a full-on bearded, hatless wizard’s face, known as “Old Vangey,” which denotes the Royal Mint in Suzail, but in about ten percent of coins two parallel crescent moons, horns to the dexter, denoting a High Horn minting] on the other. There’s only been one minting since the death of Azoun IV, and these Regency coins bear the Purple Dragon royal arms with five parallel bars on its body, rather than the face of the infant monarch or of Alusair. Elder Cormyrean coins (eighty years old and older) don’t have dates, but instead “first minting,” “second minting,” and so on, these numbered mintings denoting times during the reign of that monarch that coins were issued (there were eight mintings in the reign of Azoun IV, but three mintings is as high a count as most of the early kings got). They are otherwise identical to more modern coins of the Forest Kingdom.

Cormyrean coins are of very pure metal and heavy weight, and age well, Sembian coins slightly less so -- but the coinages of Waterdeep, Luskan, Mirabar, Silverymoon, Amn, Tethyr, Cormyr, and Sembia are considered the best-made in Faerun, and are most highly valued in trade.

Acceptance of older coins depends on condition and metal: gold coins are accepted everywhere at face value unless they’re broken, unusually small, or obviously impure. Silver coins that have tarnished to black are seldom accepted, but if PCs clean them WITHOUT highly abrasive means that take much of the markings off, they’ll probably be accepted, too (again, unless broken, impure, or small). For everything else, yes, go to a moneychanger (most cities on any coast have several).

Tradebars are widely accepted, because they MUST conform closely to a given size and weight to be accepted at all. They are the best way to melt down and re-use “suspicious” coins, because an existing tradebar can be pressed into clay to easily make a mold for the new one.

A 25-gp tradebar is a “brick with rounded corners” (squared corners broke off too easily, and unscrupulous persons deliberately broke off corners whenever they could, so the custom of rounded corners became the norm) of just over an inch thick, three inches across, and six inches in length. Cali****e tradebars (also used in Tharsult, Tashluta and the Tashalar, and other Southern trade) are seven inches long, but both ‘long sides’ bow smoothly inwards half an inch on each side, making the bar easier to grip.

50-gp tradebars are the same dimensions around their bottoms as 25-gp bars, but are three inches thick, and taper inwards as they rise (to look more like our real-world ‘ingot bars’), so their top surfaces are a half-inch smaller, all around. There are no (legal) bow-sided 50-gp tradebars.

A 75-gp tradebar is an inch thicker (taller) than a 50-gp bar, with no taper to its sides at all.

A 100-gp tradebar is two inches thick, three inches across, and nine inches long, with a central hole (for carrying or for passing a cord through, to tie into bundles). The hole shouldn’t be much more than an inch across.

Proof and ownership marks are commonly stamped into the bottom surface of a tradebar, and don’t affect value.

Very earlier tradebars vary widely in dimensions and value, but are either weighed and valued at that time when traded today, or melted down when they must be transferred from one owner to another.

So saith Ed.

thom, I can tell you that we found very few tradebars as treasure (but then, not being Zhents, we weren’t throttling merchants and then pillaging their homes to find our treasure). I suspect most tradebar hoards are hasty burials in the face of advancing foes or fierce weather, and are snapped up when nature or chance digging shifts enough earth to reveal them.
THO"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:49:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next -

"June 11, 2004: Well met again, fellow scribes. Ed (who tells me he hasn’t forgotten the older requests, and is probably at work on Ulgoth’s Beard as you first read this post) returns with another note for Capn Charlie:

Coinage is a topic of perennial interest (Faraer’s been waiting patiently for this -- and George Krashos provided coinage of Impiltur earlier here at Candlekeep), and (when done properly) a BIG topic, too. So let me provide just two coins here, that are widely used in Chessenta, the Vilhon, Border Kingdoms, and Tashalar (primarily for trade convenience, among traveling merchants).

These are the authokh [pronounced “OTH-awk”] and the belbolt (usually known merely as the “bolt”), and they began as the coins of a single city of Chessenta (which one is now forgotten).

An authokh is a square coin stamped out of delmed silver (“delming” is an alloying process that stops silver from tarnishing by combining it with copper and certain white metals in precise proportions that have the side effects of turning the silver a translucent green, and making its surface incapable of taking a high shine, no matter how polished), with a small central hole to allow it to be strung onto a pay-thong or wire loop. On one face, it bears an engraved ring of twelve leaves encircling the hole, and on the other a ring of twelve radiating daggers. Although originally worth 12 gp in Chessenta, authokhs today are universally valued at 5 gp.

Belbolts are thicky, heavy gold coins of curious shape: a circle with two shallow, matching cut-outs in its edges, so the result looks like two axe-heads fused back-to-back with curved blades outermost. Bolts are worth 20 gp.

Authokhs and belbolts are accepted in Amn, Scornubel, and Westgate, but not in Cormyr, Sembia, the Dales, the Dragonreach, the Moonsea, the Sword Coast lands, or Tethyr. In Calimshan and Waterdeep, an authokh is considered simply a silver piece and a belbolt is classed as “a heavy” (a gold piece worth 2 gp rather than just one).

So saith Ed, tireless spinner of Realmslore. Fare thee well until next, gentles,
THO"

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:50:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from 2005 -

"October 19, 2005: Hello, fellow scribes. I interrupt the regularly-scheduled Ed answer for tonight to deal with two urgent requests.

First, for Kuje, I bring you these words from Ed on the coinage used in Westgate:

Hi, Kuje! Westgate no longer regularly mints its own coins, but coinage of many lands is accepted there - - and valued as currency is in most places: by condition, metal (purity), size (amount of metal), and origin.

“Origin” refers to where a coin comes from, and the respect such a place commands (for consistent quality of coins and freedom from counterfeiting, or at least counterfeits of less metal value than originals, nothing more). Coins of Amn, Cormyr, Luskan, Mirabar, Sembia, Silverymoon, Tethyr, and Waterdeep are considered the best-made in Faerûn, and are most highly valued in trade everywhere in known Faerûn. Cormyr’s coins are very pure metal and of heavy weight, and age well; Sembian coins are slightly inferior (see p91 of the FRCS, of course, for details of these two denominations).

In Westgate (as in the Dales, Moonsea, Vilhon, Dragonreach, Vast, and Dragon Coast), the coins of Cormyr and Sembia are common, everyday ‘standard’ coinage. Westgate also accepts the authokh and belbolt (see Page 40 of the 2004 Questions for Eddie thread), whereas all the other places I listed above do not.

So saith Ed. "

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  13:53:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, another -

"December 28, 2005: Hi again, all. Jamallo Kreen posted a many-faceted question for Ed about coinage, and for clarity Ed has elected to answer it point-by-point, thus:

JK:... what (in Earth Prime terms) are the prevailing artistic styles of the different regions of Faerun, especially on coinage?

Ed: There are many styles, as I’ve posted here and elsewhere. There are triangular coins, square coins, circular coins, and oval coins (most Faerûnian coins are actually oval), of several different metals, some pierced when minted (for stringing on rings or cords), and many pierced by merchants in practice (very few are cut in half by merchants, because only a few will be honoured as having any value when this is done). In terms of the artistic styles of what’s stamped on their faces: you can find everything in the Realms, from crude scratched numerals to detailed illustrations (though particular countries tend to cling to a consistent style, or at least “artistic level” of style, Calimshan, Sembia, Amn, Cormyr, Silverymoon, and Waterdeep having coins generally considered the artistically finest)."

[...]

"Ed: Some coins have simple devices on them (usually simplified heraldic badges, of the same sort emblazoned on the tunics of soldiers), some have stylized crowns with a name of a ruler under them, and a few (mainly of the realms name above, and of more valuable denominations) have sophisticated “life-like” heads, usually side profiles, like modern real-world coins."

Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  14:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading somewhere, (Forgotten Realms Adventures? I think that was it, anyway), about Gondsbells, little silver bells worth 5 gold, and backed by the Church of Gond at that value. Are these common? I would think that a currency worth an amount different than it's intrinsic value would be most likely to be accepted if backed by a popular organization, like a church, so I can see this being used in many places. That said, though, I think I also remember that these were limited to Lantan. Which is true?

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  14:41:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed... Gond bells are listed in FRA.

They were introduced to Lantan though, and are also used throughout the North.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  17:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

Well that's very kind of ye, Wooly. I was contemplating undertaking the task myself some time ago

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  17:57:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

quote:

Well met

Well that's very kind of ye, Wooly. I was contemplating undertaking the task myself some time ago

Oh, no, you can do it. I wouldn't want to leave your capable hands idle, Big Al!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000