Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Son of Thunder, go out and buy it already!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  15:37:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just wanted to start this thread to say that if you have any interest in Realmslore that has to do with the Savage Frontier of Faerun, you really should check out this book. Besides being a good solid adventure story, there is a ton of Realmslore that ties into many products that have dealt with this region, and Murray Leeder shows that he has a great deal of respect and love for the Realms in general, and the North in particular.

When I first saw the ads for this, I thought it would mainly be a "barbarian" book, that there would be a lot of fighting, and that maybe it would involve a few Uthgardt tribes. I won't give anything away, but my initial assumptions about the scope of the novel were way off, so I definately would recommend this book to anyone interested in the various mechanations that would potentially strike the North. I would tell you what groups and individuals are involved, but its a catch 22, in that its great to find out who and why various people are involved in the plot.

At any rate, I just want to spread the word about this novel. An excellet Realms novel, and definately worth your time.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  16:42:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mr Leeder remembers those discussions about the barbarians we had around mid-last year... then he already knows how much I've been looking forward to his novel.

My pre-order copy is on its way!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  18:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the plugs, KnightErrantJR (here and at worldsofdnd). Sage, I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts when the time comes.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  19:12:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I honestly want you to get as much buzz as possible, I liked it that much, and would honestly like you to get some more Realms gigs. So I also hit Amazon and Paizo and spread the good word there. I really do hope you get some more Realms book offers, so good luck, and good work, Murray.
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, but I did'nt like the book.

It reads more like a D&D module, than a novel, at least to me.....

Alot of interesting facts about the area and stuff.....

And it would not stop me from trying another book by this author,

but just my thoughts on the matter.

Magic Matt

Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  19:57:54  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, KnightErrantJR and I read Son of Thunder together in the book club and I agree with him a 100%. It is definitly a must buy. It's jam packed with action, deceit, intrigue and it's share of twists. All the elements to making an excellent read. It was my first time involved in the book club and it was very exciting for me and having the author of that very book join in the discussions was the cherry on top a thousand fold. I hope everyone that goes out an picks up this book, enjoys thier selves as much as I did!!!

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  21:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Matt

Magic Matt

No need to be so tentative, Magic Matt. I knew I'd get some negative reviews, comes with the territory. The reaction to Plague of Ice wasn't extraordinarily positive.

It's funny that you thought it was more like a module more than a novel, coming as it does from a very non-gaming oriented guy like me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  00:01:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

Sage, I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts when the time comes.
Will do Murray... will do indeed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  02:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Matt

Magic Matt

No need to be so tentative, Magic Matt. I knew I'd get some negative reviews, comes with the territory. The reaction to Plague of Ice wasn't extraordinarily positive.

It's funny that you thought it was more like a module more than a novel, coming as it does from a very non-gaming oriented guy like me.

The writting is good, style is vivid and colorfull, it's why I said I would be interested in trying another book. Also a 'good' female villian, which is rarely done well!

But I thought too much info/strange creatures/ect. stuffed into the story that effected the pacing.

Also I don't like barbarians that much or dinosaurs at all, so that dose'nt help........

So if you like Barbarians and Dinosaurs, this might be the book for you!

MATT
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  06:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of the better novels I have read this year! I finished it rather quickly. Right up front there were a few plot threads that hooked me into the story. I liked the stlye of writing as well as the content and realmslore within.
Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  02:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I echo that. Great novel, very interesting characters, Moritz was a real treat.
The amount of Realmslore was astounding, small tie-ins all the time, which makes it all the more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  17:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved the Pseudo-Semmemon cameo and loved Vell and pretty much all the characters...the scenes with the cyricist and the explorers were some of my favorites, especially at the Unicorn Run.
I really gotta wonder why anyone would worship Cyric
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  23:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to be getting such positive reactions. If anyone cared to post their thoughts, good or ill, on amazon.com, I'd be greatly obliged.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  11:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote a review on amazon.de, hope it helps a bit .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  17:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Couldn't hurt! There are a couple of reviews on amazon.de of Plague of Ice from wayback which seem positive (I got some German friends to translate them for me). I've long wondered if it that book (or Son of Thunder, for that matter) were actually available in a German-language version or if it was just somebody reviewing the English version.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  05:15:32  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote my review in amazon on your book. Sorry it took me so long Murray. I hope this helps fantasy fans find the next good book to read.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  05:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, darkcrow.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  09:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Couldn't hurt! There are a couple of reviews on amazon.de of Plague of Ice from wayback which seem positive (I got some German friends to translate them for me). I've long wondered if it that book (or Son of Thunder, for that matter) were actually available in a German-language version or if it was just somebody reviewing the English version.

No, I reviewed the English version because AFAIK, only RSE's are translated (those translations give me the shivers). So due to the quite big demand for original versions, you can get nearly every book you also get at amazon.com (which is very, very handy). Most German-speaking fans of FR read them in English anyway .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  16:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, that's what I suspected. I found a review of a translated Polish version of Realms of Shadow online once; kind of neat to know that I've been translated into at least one language.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  06:36:11  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read this gem last week and was pleasently suprised. For me personally, nothing beats reading a book that you have no expectations for whatsoever and consequently getting blown away by its greatness.

I never know what I'm going to get from a FR tome written by a 1st time novelist for this setting. With Son of Thunder, rest assured, every Realms fan will discover a valuable, enjoyable story that will
subsequently raise your Faerunian IQ.
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  22:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, quajak, and doubly glad you took the time to say so here! Something to warm the heart of any author!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  01:47:26  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was very good. I would recommend it to anyone.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000