Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The best swordsmen of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
If you search this site you can find some stats for Cale, though those are from before the last trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  18:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
Without having to sound like a total novice... Can someone give me a list of the novels about Erevis Cale. I have heard sp much about him in this forum and it begins to sound like i am missing out on something by not having read the books. Are they worth reading?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  19:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Without having to sound like a total novice... Can someone give me a list of the novels about Erevis Cale. I have heard sp much about him in this forum and it begins to sound like i am missing out on something by not having read the books. Are they worth reading?

According to most people, they apparently are. I dunno, I never got into it. Cale strikes me as a character that tries too hard to be edgy and cynical but doesn't quite manage it. He appears in (in this order):

A short story in the Halls of Stormweather anthology
Shadow's Witness
Twilight Falling
Dawn of Night
Midnight's Mask
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  01:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I have read all the Cale novels and my opinion is that they are definitely worth reading. Of the Sembia novels the Cale novel was one of the better ones. The trilogy centered on Cale and his companions was a terrific trilogy and it is one of the better trilogies I have read to date.

I don't have much to add to the best swordsman of the realsm topic though. From the novels I have read it would appear to me that Drizzt and Artemis are some of the better swordsman of the realms but I don't know how they stack up with swordsman in source materials.

As far as who would win in a fight between Artemis and Cale I have no idea. There are too many factor to predict such a thing. And even if one won a fight it does not mean the same outcome would happen in multiple fights. But if I had to hazard a personal guess it would be that Cale would win if he were allowed to use his Mask granted powers but Artemis would win based on melee combat only. But I suppose a who would win this fight, X vs X, are kind of pointless/useless (could not think of a better way to put it).
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
OK... Thanks. Sounds like i will have to purchase the Erevis Cale books. When they are read, then i will give my oppinion on who i think is the better swordsman. Until then... Goodbye.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Feanor
Learned Scribe

100 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  08:42:40  Show Profile Send Feanor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

As far as who would win in a fight between Artemis and Cale I have no idea. There are too many factor to predict such a thing. And even if one won a fight it does not mean the same outcome would happen in multiple fights. But if I had to hazard a personal guess it would be that Cale would win if he were allowed to use his Mask granted powers but Artemis would win based on melee combat only. But I suppose a who would win this fight, X vs X, are kind of pointless/useless (could not think of a better way to put it).

In this, I agree. Unless for the entertaining value, it's quite impossible to say who would win, that's why I did not even ask.

Ok, anyone who read Last Mythal series, what is their opinion about Flar's fighting abilities ?
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  23:57:27  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message
Curiousity note - Did anybody notice Mr Greenwood's caveat of "I’m going to narrow my reply down to: male living (not dead or undead) humans"??.. Pretty much collosally leaves open who the "best of the best" really is.. In classic Greenwood style "the best" would most likely be a female human or elf, who is always right, always good, drop dead gorgeous, can do anything and everything, might stumble but never loses, and probably ends up in various states of undress on a regular basis..

Winterfox - You're still my hero(ine?)..

Feanor - In the first two books (IIRC) it doesn't go into overly much detail on Flar's swordwork other than a brief snippet fighting the nycaloth.. The series is a bit on the epic scale so there's not alot of time or room for detailed explanations..
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  00:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

Curiousity note - Did anybody notice Mr Greenwood's caveat of "I’m going to narrow my reply down to: male living (not dead or undead) humans"??.. Pretty much collosally leaves open who the "best of the best" really is.. In classic Greenwood style "the best" would most likely be a female human or elf, who is always right, always good, drop dead gorgeous, can do anything and everything, might stumble but never loses, and probably ends up in various states of undress on a regular basis..

Oh, actually, I'm sure they, in fact, are in his home campaign full of depth, make plenty of meaningful mistakes and have tons of fascinating backstory written in intricate details with such skill that gives him an entire literary plane of his own (as well, his books will have been discussed by... Hollywood personnel, I think, and considered "almost literature"). If the character in question has been in print and you've read it, but still maintain the opinions above, you are shallow or interrogating the text from the wrong perspective interpreting it incorrectly and you have no business discussing books of any sort. Possibly, if you're in court, for some reason you'd be kicked out at once for saying "Oh, puh-leeze" in an Internet discussion. You may be accused of criticising a book without having read it; when asked when you have done this, precisely, no reply or quote will be forthcoming.

I think I saved the time of quite a few posters here, yes?

quote:
Winterfox - You're still my hero(ine?)..

Ine. Unless I'm a drug, in which case it's heroin.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  00:58:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, I think this topic has run its course.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000