Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Windsong Tower? Impossible!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  16:52:43  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides the iconic early writers like Cunningham and Grubb-Novak, the Nether Scrolls was one of my early faves.

It's tough to recommend it because the author's style's so different from the base of the novel line as to have no basis for comparison at the time. It left so many mysteries as to be potentially frustrating for readers who want everything wrapped up.

That said, I liked the characters and plot and writing style. Together with Ciencin's The Night Parade, it something of a precursor to the darker, more mature novels we have today.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  17:27:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anaruoch takes place after the reclamation of Myth Drannor (as in the Last Mythal books). So I'd say they are still there in 1374.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm the cover always seemed so cheesy and it reminded me of the callous type of inclusion of the artifacts like with the Edwin subplot in BGII.
I might check it out, but like the whole Aunuroch plot it just seems like they worked so hard to make these scrolls elusive and mysterious and then they went and ruined it by stating their location as clear as broad daylight. Anyways I guess its not so terrible since there are more than one copy of the artifacts and each are a little different in their own way. (hence why I wasn't sure if they ever went by the names given in that and GHotR).

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:32:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda appreciated Anaruoch. After they cleaned up Myth Drannor in Last Mythal, they knew they would be all these adventurers going, 'Oh right, THAT's in the building right THERE!'.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  21:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see where youre coming from but if I was dming i'd just be say too bad for those adventurers because the tower was gone and in the dimensional space there was a baelnorn guarding it

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  21:45:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read Anaruoch if you get a chance. There's something much better than a Balenorn... ;)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  04:34:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

I might check it out, but like the whole Aunuroch plot it just seems like they worked so hard to make these scrolls elusive and mysterious and then they went and ruined it by stating their location as clear as broad daylight.

Actually, the fact that the Nether Scrolls was there was first mentioned in 2E. It wasn't a development from the Anauroch module -- that module was building on existing lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  05:05:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to Wooly's post, also remember that when the Scrolls location was first made public, it was dead center of Myth Drannor and you had to fight a LOT of demons to get there. Anauroch did it's part to clean up why the elves that reconquered MD weren't in possession of one of the most powerful artifacts in the Realms.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  15:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rupert- I'm not saying Aunuroch revealed that they had been in Myth Drannor. But in 2ed lore they were not in possession of the shades that's what I'm kinda complaining about. I'm saying it's frustrating (since they were so secure where they were in Windsong tower) that game developers used them instead of letting them be safe there for a little longer. I feel like game developers are using every artifact and plot hook that was left for the DMs to play with. They really don't need to have so many dramatic events take place so soon to keep my attention on Toril.
As for giving a reason as to why the new elves can't get them I don't think a reason in necessary. They were secret even at the height of Myth Drannor. I doubt very much that the elves could locate them even if they were aware of them even if they had a century or two. Yes eventually htey would have discovered them but it's not like demons etc. hadn't been trying for centuries to get at them so why all of a sudden should we worry about the newcomers locating and securing them immediately. Idk.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  18:02:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I believe (and if any scribes know different, please correct me), at the height of Myth Drannor, the scrolls weren't so secret and were available for the highest level wizards to study. At least that's the impression I always got. The only reason they were still in Myth Drannor after the fall was because, like so many other artifacts, there simply wasn't time to spirit them away without risking the demons getting them. At least they new that Windsong Tower would keep them safe from the demons.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think they could be left there because of limited time but since the diviners who predicted the fall of Myth Drannor were based out of Windsong Tower I would imagine they were left there because of how secure it is. I mean those artifacts are arguably the most powerful in Faerun. I didn't look it up but I pretty firmly believe the scrolls were only allowed to be studied by the trusted elite within the academy and judging from elven culture its not likely they would share the contents of their vaults with every wizardling's apprentices who came to town. Again I'd have to go back to Cormanthor to be sure...
There aren't alot of places on the prime material plane where the Drannorians would feel comfortable leaving such an artifact aside from one of their most secure vaults of the time.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000