Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Jhaamdathan Pantheon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  22:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Good stuff, Gray!

What he said. Jaw-droppingly good stuff! (Where's an applause icon when you want one?)

And that, kind folk, is how you can easily and within canonical information, introduce totally wild and new lore about heresies, alternate takes on religions, and ways for churches to war with each other's clergies without shoe-horning in something totally ill-fitting or new. Methinks Gray was channeling his inner Greenwood with that last post.

Take a bow, Gray!

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  00:52:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Gray.

I think you'll find something of interest in Power of Faerun that will be of interest with regards to heretical cults.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  01:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I was simply inspired by Steven's evocative post above.

Heretical cults? I will certainly buy that! Although, you already had a guaranteed sale when I saw who the authors were.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  04:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gray,

Your post was excellent. Thanks very much for the ideas.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  06:51:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot Ed Bonny discussed the Jhaamdathan pantheon early last year -

From Ed -

"1. Worship of Auppenser was most prevalent in the 12 cities, where psionics was nurtured. Out in the towns and villages, his presence was dramatically less prevalent, and other gods were more prominent. These gods (primarily Chauntea, Tyr, Oghma, and Aumanator) were more a part of the exurban Jhaamdathans daily life are the gods that are worshipped by the Chondathans today."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  18:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chauntea I would believe, I think she must have been known (by some name at least) to all proto-human pantheons. She was called Jannath by the Netherese, and Earthmother in the Moonshaes. Chauntea may have been her Talfiric name, although I don't know, it could have been her Jhaamdathan name. One might expect her to have a different name in one or the other of the two pantheons.

Oghma too seems plausible. As an interloper he was not pantheon specific and he is thought to have been around from very early on in the creation myth. Also I think Murdane, as a goddess of pragmatism and reason, seems like she would have been associated with Oghma. She might even have established her divine realm in the House of Knowledge.

Amaunator maybe, maybe not. I associate him so intimately with the Netherese pantheon, it seems hard to swallow that he would be part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon. I would buy a sun god of some sort. Maybe an aspect of Amauantor, perhaps under a different name.

Tyr most certainly could not have been part of the Jhaamdathan however, because he didn't interlope into the cosmos until -247 DR in the Procession of Justice. Well after the flood. He definitely made a big impact on the postdiluvian Jhaamdathan peoples, but he would not have been known to the Jhaamdathans prior to the flood at the height of their civilization.

Maybe, maybe you could make an argument that they knew Anachtyr, an ancient coramsh'te god of justice that later merged with or passed on his legacy to Tyr. Although we are told Anachtyr was a specifically Coramsh'te god, and you would expect him to be exclusive to that region. But it's possible I guess that Anachtyr's faith could have spread East into the Jhaamdathan area at some point.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  23:02:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something was bugging me, and I just realised what it was. In my thoughts re the gods (and nothing compared to the analysis given to the topic by people like Gray) other deities (or aspects of them) that I thought would always be prevalent in a human racial grouping would be Malar and Tyche. Hunting is something common to all human racial groupings as they develop and become civilised and fate is an essential aspect of human existence, so I thought that both were suitable as "omnipresent deities".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Jan 2006 23:02:49
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  03:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, not all the gods can be trans-pantheonic.

If we go by the opening chapter of Faiths & Pantheons, there were supposed to be at least 4 major human proto-pantheons and a few other minor ones that merged into the greater Faerūnian pantheon around the time of the Dawn Cataclysm.

There was the Netherese pantheon whose 10 gods we know.

There was the Jhaamdathan pantheon which we have been speculating on in this thread.

There was the Coramsh'te pantheon located around Calimshan/Coramshan. To what extent this pantheon influenced Tethyr and Amn is unknown. This pantheon included gods such as Anachtyr, Bhaelros, and Ibrandul.

Then there was the Talfiric pantheon centered in the Western Heartlands. We know it included Tempus, also Talos, Umberlee, Auril, and probably Malar and Loviatar (all the gods of Fury). Also maybe Shialia, Lurue and Mielikki and any of the gods associated with the North. Lathander appears to have been known in the Talfiric pantheon before Amaunator actually died.

Actually there might be an argument that the North had one of those minor pantheons that was originally separate from the Talfiric pantheon, but which merged together with it early on.

Other minor pantheons were the gods of the Rus (ancient Rashemi people) which included Shaundakul and also included Dendar the Night Serpent, known to them as Nidhogg.

Another ancient minor pantheon was located around the Yuir wood (though I am not clear if those were human gods, elven, or even part of the Faerie pantheon).

While there were certainly trans-pantheonic gods, there had to be some degree of exclusivity between the pantheons, otherwise they couldn't have united into a larger pantheon later.

One thing to note: If you look at the Netherese pantheon, their 10 gods had many more portfolios back then than they posess now. When you have fewer gods, they tend to double up on portfolios. So we can surmise that some of the gods in the Jhaamdathan pantheon would have had different or a more expanded portfolio base back in the time of Jhaamdath.

Also, I don't think we can rule out that we might be missing some gods that have died out and been replaced. Gods that were known well to the Jhaamdathans who have vanished with time. What their names were or what portfolios they had we can only speculate.

For instance, the names of Auppenser and Murdane were only recently revealed to us. I imagine there must be many, many more that we simply don't know about.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  05:52:06  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I still consider myself quite new here at Candlekeep - and am amazed anew each time someone as learned as Gray makes comments and such that reveal the depth of their FR knowledge!

A agree that 1) there were likely instances of 'doubling up' on the portfolios - as well as 2) the distinct possibility of missing/lost/dead/subsumed deities.

One quick question - you mention Shaundakul being related to the Rus (Rashemi) - I was just wondering where that is referenced. Thanks!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  06:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's in Faiths & Avatars p.143. He may be older than that even. As a god of travelers he sure gets around. He was big in Myth Drannor and around the Moonsea area back in the day.

Thank Eric Boyd & Julia Martin for putting all the deity info together for easy reference in those fantastic three volumes: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. Faiths & Pantheons is great too--it may be shorter, but it has crucial lore unique to it that can only be found in those pages.

Some day I am going to have to track down all of Eric's articles in Polyhedron...
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  19:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics occur where the Mind and Self-Knowledge intersect with the Weave.

I have been thinking that since Ed Bonny tells us that Auppenser's divine realm is in Dweomertor, the plane of magic, and since psionics are a subset of magic within the Realms, it seems likely that Auppenser is the offspring of one of the magic gods. That implies Mystra or Leira.

And, if Oghma is part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon, as god of knowledge and the mind, it would be likely that he is the father of Auppenser (assuming that Auppenser is not an ascended mortal, which remains a possibility).

Oghma interloped over from the Celtic pantheon, however, he has been around for a very long time in the cosmology. Some myths put him around near the very begining, giving names to and binding the shapes of all creation. He also was likely present at the truce between Shar and Selūne, brokered by Mystryl, which ended their War of Light and Darkness. Oghma may have acted as scribe at the truce, recording or binding the agreement in some fashion. So Oghma and Mystryl have known each other a long time. No reason they couldn't have gotten together at some point and had a son, Auppenser.

Okay, the idea has been suggested that Murdane (a goddess of pragmatism and reason) may be the daughter of Auppenser. If so, she needs a mother. That mother might be an unnamed goddess of the Jhaamdathan pantheon. But I was thinking Eldath would make a very good candidate for Murdane's mother. It seems like a natural fit that pragmatism and reason would be born of the intersection where peace and stillness meet the discipline of the mind.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  22:41:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson
Okay, the idea has been suggested that Murdane (a goddess of pragmatism and reason) may be the daughter of Auppenser. If so, she needs a mother. That mother might be an unnamed goddess of the Jhaamdathan pantheon. But I was thinking Eldath would make a very good candidate for Murdane's mother. It seems like a natural fit that pragmatism and reason would be born of the intersection where peace and stillness meet the discipline of the mind.

Thanks Gray. I'll keep this in mind for certain future projects ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  22:42:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Auppenser could be descended from Mystryl, instead of Mystra...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly. I meant Mystryl of course It would have had to have been Mystryl, as Auppenser was "born" long before the fall of Netheril, and the death of Mystryl.

According to Ed Bonny's timeline of Jhaamdath, Auppenser was around at least as early as -5730 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  02:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So there were no naval/naval mercantile deities, eh? Oh well. Thanks for the information, and be more than welcome to continue y'all's thought-provoking discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  07:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, thoughts of the Jhaamdathan pantheon have still been percolating in my subconscious all week and I have been mostly thinking about Eldath and Waukeen.

What do you think of the idea that Eldath was perhaps a once more powerful and important goddess in the Jhaamdathan pantheon, perhaps even an intermediate power? As goddess of the waters she might have served in that pantheon as a goddess of the sea, but perhaps more as Steven suggests above a goddess of peaceful seas, someone who sailors prayed to for safe travel over calm seas.

I am thinking that if the Gods of Fury (including Umberlee) were at least for some portion of their history exclusive to the Talfiric pantheon (on the West Coast/Sea of Swords area), then Eldath could have served the function of Sea Goddess for the Jhaamdathan pantheon and the Inner Sea.

Eldath might have represented a more civilized spirit of the waters. Sailing and water travel might have been part of her portfolios, along with peace.

Faiths & Avatars says her power had been shrinking for a long time. I figure that, combined with her demoralization over the destruction of Jhaamdath, and with the death/dormancy of her (hypothetical) husband Auppenser and daughter Murdane, her divine power might have diminished somewhat.

Furthermore, following the Dawn Cataclysm and the unification of the many human proto-pantheons into a greater Faerūnian pantheon, she would have had to have clashed with Talos and Umberlee and Valkur for dominion over the sea, and thus that might explain why she no longer has sea related portfolios.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  07:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's another thought. As Jhaamdathans began to explore and trade around the Inner Sea, Waukeen could have been born as the younger sister of Murdane, the second child of Auppenser and Eldath. I figure that commerce and contracts, which require the meeting of two minds are natural outgrowths of an enlightened society of the mind that lives in peace and engages in travel and civilized trade with other nations across the waves.

It even fits from a planar analysis too, if you figure that Liira moved Waukeen's Marketplace Eternal to the plane of Brightwater in 1359 or 1365 DR. She had to have moved it from somewhere. I have long thought the best place for the Marketplace Eternal to have been located (within the Great Tree) prior to Liira moving it was probably the House of Knowledge. I had little support for this other than a gut feeling, (and other than that in the 2E scheme both the House of Knowledge and the Marketplace Eternal were both located in the Outlands).

So if Waukeen were the sister of Murdane and the grandaughter of Oghma, then the House of Knowledge would be a natural fit for her.

Faiths and Avatars does not provide a whole lot of guidance on this, except to say that she is a relatively young goddess and her most prominent temple is in Amn. However, her worship could have simply spread to Amn with the Chondathan diaspora.

That is not to say it's the only explanation. You could make a case for Waukeen in the Coramsh'te pantheon, or from whatever locality Gond arose, or simply as an ascended mortal.

But I am intrigued with the idea of her being the daughter of Auppenser and Eldath.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  07:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which, by the way, leaves open the possibility that Valigan Thirdborn was the younger brother of Murdane and Waukeen. Perhaps originally he was a god of liberty and freedom from oppression (sort of the flip side of the portfolio of Strife--much in the way that Finder took Moander's portfolio of rot and decay and transformed it into a portfolio of renewal and the cycle of life).

According to Ed Bonny's Timeline, the Jhaamdathans abolished slavery early on, emancipating all their slaves in -5729 DR. Jhaamdathans were also running around freeing slaves of neighboring nations, so we know that personal liberty was an important value to the Jhaamdathans.

So maybe Valigan went insane after Jhaamdath was wiped out and chaos errupted where once there was order and peace. His portfolio of liberty became corrupted and perverted into Anarchy. He might also have fallen under the sway of Borem, god of Anger/Hatred. He could also have been associated with or corrupted by chaotic Slaad lords such as Bazim-Gorag.

In fact, I strongly wonder if Valigan's portfolio of Anarchy included strife, which passed somehow to Borem after Valigan's death at the hand of Tyr. It could have been Valigan's very same portfolio of strife that Bane eventually won (along with Hatred) from Borem when Bane, with Myrkul and Bhaal, slew Borem in their quest for godhood.

I find the chain of custody of the portfolio of strife to be a fascinating mystery that if it could be ascertained might reveal a lot of valuable Realmslore both historical and mythological.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  10:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Thanks Gray. I'll keep this in mind for certain future projects ...

-- George Krashos

Great thinking, Gray

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  10:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So maybe Valigan went insane after Jhaamdath was wiped out and chaos errupted where once there was order and peace. His portfolio of liberty became corrupted and perverted into Anarchy. He might also have fallen under the sway of Borem, god of Anger/Hatred. He could also have been associated with or corrupted by chaotic Slaad lords such as Bazim-Gorag.

In fact, I strongly wonder if Valigan's portfolio of Anarchy included strife, which passed somehow to Borem after Valigan's death at the hand of Tyr. It could have been Valigan's very same portfolio of strife that Bane eventually won (along with Hatred) from Borem when Bane, with Myrkul and Bhaal, slew Borem in their quest for godhood.

It may also be that Valigan, being called "Thirdborn", was a young god, who had not yet picked his portfolio at the time of Jhaamdath's destruction. Perhaps he went indeed mad, or maybe he just embraced the chaos and anarchy of Jhaamdath's fall? Just some thoughts...

I like that Borem would have "snatched" Strife from Valigan, as you wrote, and that is how it was eventually passed on to Bane. We cretainly know that Jergal didn't have that portfolio...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<SNIPZILLA>

Jesus Gray, those are some fantastic theories. In fact, I may go as far as taking those as some truly canon contenders.

I love that Eldath proposal. It definetly gives a cohesive chance for an aventi deity (though it'd need to be changed into a female, but no matter).

Awesome work. Where's WotC's thumbs-up emoticon when one needs it....
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  02:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After some thinking about Savras, I am not so sure he could have been a part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon. Magic of Faerūn says that Savras was once a Halruaan Wizard, and Halruaa wasn't founded until after -339 DR.

So if Savras was an ascended mortal from Halruaa, he could not have been known to Jhaamdath, except perhaps in the last years preceding the Tidal Wave in -255 DR.

Now Jhaamdath was near enough to Halruaa that (assuming Savras ascended prior to -255 DR) his worship could have spread to Jhaamdath. In fact, if Savras' faithful actually prophesied the Jhaamdathan deluge, then Savras might have fostered a nifty little "end of days" cult around his worship.

And if his faithful were able to convince a few people the end was coming and save a few of them by leading an exodus out of Jhaamdath, or save a few who remained by creating watertight magical or extradimensional emergency shelters, then this might have won Savras the good will of many of the survivors. Good will enough perhaps to erect a shrine to Savras atop one of the Hills of Fangs outside of Westgate.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  02:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I just thought of a way that Savras could have been a Halruaan wizard and still be a much older deity. And that would be if Savras assumed the mantle of an older, unnamed god of divination, or perhaps the older god's name was Savras.

There are precedents for this. We know that Midnight took over from Mystra during the Time of Troubles. And Siamorphe was once a lady of Waterdeep who took up the role of the god of nobility from an older Siamorphe. The role of Siamorphe is passed down, much like titles of nobility, to successor gods over time.

I know of no evidence of a predecessor god that merged with Savras, but I just thought I would toss the idea out there.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2006 :  09:52:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fascinating Gray... I particularly like this idea.

Here's a few thoughts --

Hypothetically, we can assume that the deity (which may have also been called Savras as you suggested) who occupied the position before the rise of Savras, was also regarded as the All-Seeing, and thus could know all that has happened and all that will occur. So perhaps, like the first Mystra... this previous power of divination foresaw his/her own destruction at a point in the future and therefore planned for his/her successor in order to maintain the balance of fate in the Realms.

Perhaps the previous deity selected the new Savras while the mortal was still a wizard in Halruaa and initiated steps to ensure that the mortal Savras ascended to occupy the god's position once he/she had been destroyed.

Or, take it another way...

Interestingly, perhaps the previous Savras influenced the weave of fate itself in order to bring about the creation of a suitable replacement Savras -- ready to assume the role once the time came. As I see it, this is similar to the way in which the Force is said to have literally conceived Anakin and brought about his place as the Chosen One and bring balance to the Force -- thus, in the Realms, fate itself was working to bring about the next Savras -- hinting at the fact that both deity and the weave of fate are intimately connected.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jan 2006 09:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  01:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thinking a little bit more about Savras.

I was considering that if Savras arose to power and came to be known in the very last few years of Jhaamdath before the Tidal Wave hit, that his worship might have become popular among those psions and talents who practiced the clairsentience discipline (often called "seers").

Whether Savras was worshipped discretely, as a cult or had actual temples and open worship, I wonder if Auppenser and his faith would have been tolerant, friendly, or opposed to Savras's growing faith?

On one hand Auppenser seems like he was devoted to the ideals of freedom and self-knowledge, and as such he might have supported the choice of his faithful to worship a deity of divination. Auppenser might have considered Savras an ally, or at least tolerated him.

Then again Auppenser's clergy might not have felt so welcoming to the loss of influence and power that Savras would siphon away from them. There might at least have been some tension or jealousy among Auppenser's clergy.

And if Savras's clergy were perceived as some sort of doomsday cult, loudly crowing, cassandra-like, about impending disaster, then they might not have been taken too seriously. The Savrans may even have been resented for suggesting that the glory of Jhaamdath was ending. They might even have been taken for kooks.

Lastly, Ed Bonny has mentioned that several of the Udoxias were aligned to psionic disciplines. I wonder if any of the 12 Udoxias were aligned to the discipline of clairsentience? And if so, might Savras have been particularly popular in that city (or cities)?
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  02:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just thinking tangentially about a udoxias aligned to clairsentience... Whether or not any of the psioncists in the city worshipped Savras, might the seers among the populace have had any precognitive vision of the tidal wave before it came?

Might such a vision have been broadcast to the city via the udoxias and, depending on whether it came minutes, hours or days before the disaster, I wonder what actions the citizens might have taken in response to such a collective vision?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  03:44:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And just thinking tangentially about a udoxias aligned to clairsentience... Whether or not any of the psioncists in the city worshipped Savras, might the seers among the populace have had any precognitive vision of the tidal wave before it came?

Might such a vision have been broadcast to the city via the udoxias and, depending on whether it came minutes, hours or days before the disaster, I wonder what actions the citizens might have taken in response to such a collective vision?

Panic, exodus, the selling-off of real estate to non-psionicists...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  12:50:45  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO i take it Auppenser will not be happy upon his awakening then eh. I mean his "daughter" is dead, maybe he was not the son of mystral but her lover/husband. his neutral order nature helping to balance her more wild and free spirited nature? I mean it would stand to reason right. Then mystra the first he would have consider more like a daughter for a while and helped her get on her feet till she recovered from her reincarnation. I wonder how Auppenser will feel about helm, and lathander upon his learning of their parts in his daughter's death. Oh yeah and wouldn't selune and shar have been included in the patheon?
Who made up the netherness pantheon btw?

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of oneā€™s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  06:28:06  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so i found some interesting information on the Jhaamdath pantheon, as per the Races of faerun the Chondathan section page 87 to be specific it says that the Chondathan deities that include Deneir, Talona. I believe it also mentions something about Helm and Waukeen being from Jhaamdath as well. Just something to think on!

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of oneā€™s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  17:31:13  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread.

There's been a lot of discussion of Borem, and his role as god of Strife and Anger... where is this coming from? The only references to Borem I was aware of were the one's connecting him with the Seven Lost Gods, and the one regarding his heart in F&P. I'd love to have more information of him as a living deity, canon or not-quite.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000