Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarven Druid Deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  03:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would, in your opinion, be a good deity for a dwarven druid
(preferable from the dwarven pantheon)?
Or would it be, in your opinion, be totally unthinkable for a dwarf to become a druid?

Do not knock on Death's door - ring the bell twice and run away.
He hates that.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  03:52:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dugmaren Brightmantle might have NG druids, though nature isn't especially emphasied in his portfolios, only adventuring, discovery, and invention. Still, it is possible in a streach.

Dumathoin might fit the bill, except that the use of metal tools to tear up the mountains to find all those gems and ores seems a bit too artificial for a druid's tastes. It might work for a Urdunnir worshipper, who can alter the earth and stone more naturally. Still, not a big vote for this one in my mind.

Marthamor Duin, god of travellers, guides, explorers, and lightning . . . hm. Duin is also said to have many dwarven rangers as followers, and his followers often patrol the trails in the wilderness that lie between dwarfholds. He is also the god of dwarven expatriots, including those who end up wandering the wild because their clanhold fell. Given that he is NG, I would have to say he is a pretty good candidate, even though it wasn't specifically mentioned that he had any druids. Heck . . . lightning as part of his portfolio? That is SO druid, lol.

Sharindlar, in her portfolios of fertility, is said to aid in the husbandry of animals and the care of crops. Sounds a lot like a Chauntean to me. She is also the dwarven goddess of the moon. While her primary role might have been the fertility of the dwarven race, and she is concerned with healing the sick in the community and matchmaking, that doesn't preclude her having druids. Again, they are not mentioned, but with that information and her alignment of CG, she could have both CN and NG druids.

And of course, the only dwarven deity that actually mentions having druids is Thard Harr. He is the patron of Wild Dwarves though, so its likely he is not widely worshipped outside of the jungle dwarves.

I would say that druids are not common among dwarves, and should be considered rare, much like wizards among dwarves are. That having been said, I wouldn't say they would be shunned or even looked down upon (dwarves like divine magic much more than arcane, for example). Some of their taboos might strike dwarves as strange (such as the refusal to wear metal armor, and practicing ceremonies outdoors).

Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  03:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks a lot, that surely helps;)

He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  04:03:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you put a stronger emphasis on the "healing" and "safety" aspects of Berronar Truesilver... you could suggest that a dwarven druid is following her exclusively in this regard to make the "home" (and by this I mean their underground dwellings) of the dwarves safer for their kind while also acting as a nature healer for those dwarves who brave the perilous of the Underdark.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  04:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, that sounds logical...thanks for your advice.
Also, "outdoors" - well, that doesn't have to mean outside of the mountains...because rock and stone and fungus and mold are also part of nature...a druid might just venture out of the clanhold for a time when he needs to commune with nature...which would be considered strange enough, however ;)
Well, no metal armor - but the ability to transform into a mighty cave-beast and tear one's enemy to shreds should make up for that ;)
Plus, immunity to poison...the few who do exist might be considered strange, but then again, the clan who has one can be counted as lucky*g*
Yes, me love druids:D

He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  04:11:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can easily picture a dwarf turning into a bear or a wolverine, for example. And I beleive its been mentioned in a few places that dwarves in the wild underdark, among the strange animals and fungus forests and underground lakes, can be rangers (or cavers), so why not druids. Of course, its harder to influence weather, for example, in the aspect.

Myself I would still favor an above ground druid, probably of Marthamor Duin. I can even picture one with a mischevious streak, not letting on to anyone that he was a druid, just subtly using his powers to aid travellers here and there. Then when beset with a band of orc raiders or giants . . . bust out the Call Lightning . . . but I digress.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  04:22:11  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a case can be made for druids following almost any of the dwarven deities. You just have to have the right angle. Dumathoin would have quite a few earth druids, Berronar likewise, but with different outlooks. For most, if they follow the deities of the pantheon, the differences between them and clerics would, outwardly, be minor. Now, a tree huggin', elf type druid, they might not worship dwarven deities at all, but human ones. Maybe even no specific god at all.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  04:31:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . why did I figure you might chime in on this one Hammer?
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  08:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had imagined a rather subtle druid myself, one who stays friendly and calm in most situations, using his divine might only when angered. Figured it might even be nice to have a Druid/Runecaster ( especially with the damage spells the druid gets later on, runes make great booby traps...earthquake in a narror cavern and drow go *splorch*);)

He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  04:02:43  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . why did I figure you might chime in on this one Hammer?

Just mention me kin, an' I'm there!

Now, how did I become a fiend for all things dwarven?

Stuff like this fuels the fire for the column, though.

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  04:04:52  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pardan
Figured it might even be nice to have a Druid/Runecaster ( especially with the damage spells the druid gets later on, runes make great booby traps...earthquake in a narror cavern and drow go *splorch*);)

The ideas running through my head right now.
The Sundabar Seven better look out on who they wrong!

Mind if I borrow this idea and flesh it out into a character for the Candlekeep Compendium, Pardan?

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  04:21:43  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would check out either
Thard Harr god of wild dwarves, jungle survival, and hunting. Or
Sharindlar who's portfolio includes healing, mercy, romantic love, fertility, dancing, courtship, the moon. ( Second thought this seems almost a dwarven version of Sune ).

how about Marthammer Duin portfolio includes guides, explorers, expatriates, travelers, lightning dwarves(?), creation, smithing, protection, metalcraft, stonework.
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  21:20:50  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a Wild Dwarf, I could see them going the full "doodad" route with the whole gamut from tree-hugger to mountain men with Thard Harr.

For Shield Dwarves... I dunno. I see more "fury of the earth" Earth and Fire domain geomancer types that turn into rock monsters and cave bears and throw boulders at people. Call Lightning? Pshaw. Call Lava. Don't ask me the deity... I'm just now trying to figure out the spell list.

The "Druid"-druids Shieldies would be more or less freaks raised in the woods probably worshiping Silvanus or some such.

And seems kinda beneath the Goldies to be tromping around in the wilderness... more of a one-off for them, too.

But, that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2006 :  23:32:27  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the rules I used in my current campaign. These rules were based on F&P info mostly, then on other sources (it has not been updated with the FR books published after summer 2004).

--------------------------------

Divine Worship Restrictions

To help preserve the unique flavour of Forgotten Realms setting, all rules related to divine worship outlined in the FRCS or Faiths and Pantheons will be abided to. In addition, the following divine worship restrictions will be in place for the Tales of Aglarond campaign.

#61607; Forgotten Realms races can only choose a Patron deity belonging to their own racial pantheon. They can worship other deities, if they wish to do so, but they can never hope to serve as a divine spellcaster under a deity that does not belong to their very own racial pantheon. This is a cultural aspect common all living beings on Faerϋn, which has been deeply imbedded in religious doctrines everywhere. This belief was further reinforced during the Times to Trouble when the gods walked Faerϋn in 1358 DR: it was then found that “Faithless” souls are mortared in the Living Wall surrounding the City of the Dead where Kelemvor now rules. “False” souls get other types of punishments within the City itself, but tales of these are contradictory and nebulous at best. Another potential hazards can be an eternal stay in the Abyss or Nine Hells, depending on what happens when the lost soul reaches the Fugue Plane or its racial equivalent, if not human (specifics on the whereabouts of a soul can be determined with Knowledge Religion DC 20 or Knowledge the Planes DC 25). This is of extreme importance to dwarven and elven clerics, for example, who must constantly strive to remain in alignment with their racial deities via the one-step rule outlined in the FRCS (not doing so would run the risk for them to receive no spells until their alignment returns to one that is suitable to their chosen Patron deity). The only exception to this rule is the worship of the four elemental lords: any race can have one of them as Patron deity (several such “outcast” dwarves have adopted the worship of Grumbar, while elves in the same predicament often gravitate to the worship of Akadi).

#61607; Druids and Rangers must worship one of the following deities in order to receive divine spells. This deity must also be the Patron deity of the druid or ranger in question. The complete list of nature deities is: (F=Faerϋnian Pantheon; E=Elf Pantheon; G=Gnome Pantheon; H=Halfling Pantheon; D=Dwarf Pantheon; M=Mulhorandi Pantheon; MM=Monster deity; EL=Elemental gods)

• Chauntea, F --> Most powerful deity of Faerϋn, she gave birth to all life on the planet according to the creation myths
• Eldath, F
• Gwaeron Windstrom, F
• Lurue, F
• Malar, F
• Mielikki, F
• Nobanion, F
• Shiallia, F
• Silvanus, F
• Talona, F
• Talos, F
• Ubtao, F
• Ulutiu, F
• Umberlee, F
• Uthgar, F
• Anhur, M
• Isis, M
• Osiris, M
• Sebek, M
• Set, M
• Thard Harr, D
• Aerdrie Faenya, E
• Angharradh, E
• Deep Sashelas, E
• Rillifane Rallathil, E
• Baervan Wildwanderer, G
• Segojan Earthcaller, G
• Auril, F
• Fenmarel Mestarine, E
• Hiatea, MM (giants)
• Sekolah, MM (sahuagin)
• Stronmaus, MM (cloud giants, storm giants)
• Skerrit, MM (centaurs)
• Tapann, MM (korreds)
• Yeenoghu, MM (gnolls)
• Cyrrollalee, H
• Sheela Peryroyl, H
• Solonor Thelandira, E
• Talona, F
• Kossuth, EL
• Istishia, EL
• Grumbar, EL
• Akadi, EL

• Additionally, rangers may receive divine spells from one of the following deities:

• Shaundakul, F
• Tempus, F
• Garagos, F
• Marthammor Duin, D
• Corellon Larethian, E
• Shevarash, E
• Arvoreen, H

---------------------------------

There, I hope this will help some of you. Note that one does not need to be a Wild Dwarf in order to worship Thard Harr: a shield or gold dwarf druid could pray Thard Harr and receive spells normally... I do not see why such a dwarf could not be an active participant of, say, a Silver Marches dwarven community. Such 'cavers', 'bear/boar trainers' and 'mountaineers' could offer great support to a dwarven community...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  00:23:32  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weel, from the books and some of the replies from Ed, it seems that anyone can worship any god. No matter race. It is just that the racial/geographical pantheons are the most common choices for the different groups.

Those who worship a different group of gods (Like the Elven Cleric of Selune in FRCS) tend to be exception to the rule and oddballs. As such it is more likely for these clerics to be adventurer as they tend to be the major oddballs of the Realms.

Rangers in the FRCS are allowed to worship and gain spells from any god, it is just given their nature they tend towards the nature gods. Exceptions are oddballs that tend to have an interesting back story.
(I know that it says that Rangers have to choose from the nature gods from F&P, but the fact that there is mention of Mystra (Who is not on the list) having Rangers in products after that.)

Dwarves should be able to become Druids, maybe not common but possible. The Dwarven gods suggested are a good idea. I think that the realms currently is overturning the ideas of F&P that excludes options instead of including them. First of your realms is your game so anything you want can happen.

Also unless you have a strict DM, my mantra should be okay. Almost anything is possible if you have a good story with plenty of hooks. Especially for a home realms. (One thing that doesn't work well is playing a duo god cleric, as it gets complex fast. But a druid of Dumathoin shouldn't be too hard.)

Edit: Actually a druid of Dumathoin might be interesting. As a sub level, perhaps instead of turning into Fire and Water elementals he could turn into Ooze and Magma to accent his earthen nature.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 07 Jan 2006 00:26:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000