Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  01:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by yrch

Greetings to all visitors of this library. I have a couple of questions for Ed, but I would welcome any answer or suggestion from other sages...
I'm starting a Marsember-based campaign. Ed's list of Marsember buildings, islands (isles as he said) and streets is fantastic, but since I don't have Marsember map from Dungeon, I couldn't reconstruct original map from Volo's guide (pdf format, map is nearly unreadable). I would ask Ed if he can describe the locations (like he did with 13. Chalanther House or 18. The Net of Pearls) of temple to Waukeen {15. Faircoins Moneychanger (moneylending, moneychanging, and contract-witnessing business, and shrine to Waukeen)}, 30. The Drowned Sailors Society (club), and cemetery(it wasn't mentioned in "Marsember,mended", and I don't know where to locate it ). Purpose of the Lightless Lamp is also a mistery to me, some kind of explanation would be great. Thanks:-)

Im pretty sure the map of Marsember that Ed included in his Cities article is avaliable for Download on the Pazio site

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  01:51:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Yrch, I think Dargoth’s correct about Paizo having the map available. It will take Ed a fair while to get to your request through the huge heap of requests already in front of him, so I’ll answer one little bit of it right now: the Lightless Lamp is just one of many “street-lanterns” in the often-befogged port, but it’s broken (and so, “lightless”). In Ed’s novel ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER, it’s used the same way most citizens of Marsember use it: as a landmark (meeting-place).
This time, Ed makes reply to Verghityax, re. this: “I just finished Troy Denning's "The Siege". In chapter fourteen (in the scene when phaerimms seize control over minds of most soldiers in Laeral's army) it is said that Bloodaxe Company from Sundabar has suffered severe damage and their entire camp has been destroyed. Does it mean that the company doesn't exist anymore? What is their current status?”
Ed speaks:

The Bloodaxes were reduced to just under twenty percent of what their strength was prior to the events of THE SIEGE, and lost much of their gear. Their morale was even more battered, and most fled, finding their own various ways home to Sundabar.
Where they have since reformed, battlewiser and grimly determined to become even stronger than before. Wherefore they are recruiting new members (adventurers! all races and classes - - though not all alignments; lawful definitely preferred - - welcome!), training these hard (adventuring forays into - - and under - - the mountains), and seeking to be a proud Company once more. They have a long way to go, being at about 24 percent strength right now, but for adventurers offer some glorious opportunities (for those who can stomach being bullied by hardbitten “scarred dwarf” drillcaptains day in and day out).

So saith Ed, Warcaptain Glorious of the Realms. And owner of at least sixteen pairs of black socks.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

yrch
Acolyte

Yugoslavia
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  06:14:04  Show Profile  Visit yrch's Homepage Send yrch a Private Message
Thanks for quick reply about Lamp...
I searched for Marsember map on Paizo.com, but i couldn't find it. I looked in the Downloads and Resources sections, there is only pdf version of Dungeon #113 for sale :-(

Minsc:"We are all heroes, you and Boo and I...Hamsters and rangers everywhere, REJOICE, REJOICE!!!!!"
Boo:"skweek, skweeeek, skweek"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  11:33:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
We finally have the next chapter of Oroon Rising... Oroon Rising - Chap. 9

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  12:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Thanks Ed for thy quick response I hope that the Bloodaxes will recover somehow.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  01:57:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Once again Ed delves into the fascinating subject of wiping oneself after defecation, answering this from Scarabeus: “What do adventurers do for the wiping of the behind when deep into a dungeon or similar areas? No leaves, no vinegar, no moss ...hummm ...what about my cloak of protection +3 ?”
Ed replies:

Adventurers typically carry along (in a belt pouch, or sometimes strapped to boots [under the cuffs of turned-down bucket-top boots, for instance]) a thareea (the scented brown bum-wiping cloths, for those who missed my earlier replies) folded and wrapped in an oiled-innards leather pouch.
Wipe with just one side of it, fold it up around that soiled side, and rinse (in a pool, stream downstream from where drinking water’s taken) or wipe (on grass, for example) it clean, the first chance they get - - and wash it properly as soon as they can.

So saith Ed. Nose-picking details, next time? Just kidding.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  15:40:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Once again Ed delves into the fascinating subject of wiping oneself after defecation, answering this from Scarabeus: “What do adventurers do for the wiping of the behind when deep into a dungeon or similar areas? No leaves, no vinegar, no moss ...hummm ...what about my cloak of protection +3 ?”
Ed replies:

Adventurers typically carry along (in a belt pouch, or sometimes strapped to boots [under the cuffs of turned-down bucket-top boots, for instance]) a thareea (the scented brown bum-wiping cloths, for those who missed my earlier replies) folded and wrapped in an oiled-innards leather pouch.
Wipe with just one side of it, fold it up around that soiled side, and rinse (in a pool, stream downstream from where drinking water’s taken) or wipe (on grass, for example) it clean, the first chance they get - - and wash it properly as soon as they can.

So saith Ed. Nose-picking details, next time? Just kidding.
love to all,
THO

I know this may come as a shock but the adventurer could always use their non-dominate hand. They just have to take care to clean the said hand and make sure not to do certain taboo things….like eat with it or shake hands with another person or offer a person some food with 'that hand'...etc...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Yes, as I'm sure you know, (and I'm 90% sure of my self on this) The Chinese used to do that with I believe their left hand. Even to this day, people will not shake another person with their said hand because of how long they did.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  03:23:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. I prodded Ed, and finally got him to reply to this, from Karth: “Yes, Ed's ranking of top fighters is eminently useful on its own. That said, I'd still like to see Ed's 2E-style quick summaries of that list, such as the ones he did for the FR Adventures hardcover, Volo's Guides and various other 2E products he designed.
Example: Laspeera Naerinth (NG hf M14)
Always a treasure to be sure about the general size of the ballpark you're manufacturing detail in - straight from the man himself... ;)”
Ed speaks:

I’m with George: I care far more about the stories and essential characters of NPCs rather than their stats, but all right, I’ll (reluctantly) provide barebones (i.e. lacking weapon specializations and a lot of the later 2e added frills) 2e-only (as Sanishiver posted, it’s easy for those using 3e to craft game-precise versions of these folks using the right combinations of feats, prestige classes, et cetera) capsule stats, for the “new” characters only:

Harmel Artru (NE hm Ftr9/T7: Dex 17, Cha 16)

Loaros Hammarandar (LN hm Ftr14: Str 17, Dex 17)

Ember Tsartaera (LG hf Ftr15: Str 16, Dex18)

Skoalam Marlgrask (CN hm Ftr18: Dex 17, Con 17)

Lyaunthra Aldegal (CG hf Ftr17: Con 17)

Sraece Telthorn (CN hm Ftr16/Thief-Acrobat7: Dex 18, Cha 16)

Ulmaer Rivrymm of Sheirtalar (LG hm Ftr14: Str 16, Dex 18)

Aka ‘the Questmaster’ [[NDA, sorry]]

Now, some may say that the levels given on this list are a bit low for “best” wielders-of-blades, but I say again: the only meaningful way I could answer Feanor’s question was to narrow my consideration of best to a definition of: supreme technique (superior finesse, if you will) in bladework. Otherwise, there are too many variables (X is alive today because Y slipped, or a deity who smiled on X MADE Y slip, or because X knew the darkened room they were fighting in just a little bit better, or because when the guards burst in it was Y who got his swordarm jarred for a critical moment, not X, or because it was X whose friends burst in, or Y the startled guard happened to stagger into . . . and so on). I believe THO and I have sufficiently communicated the difficulty of choosing “best” bladewielders to Feanor, our most important point being that there are another forty or so individuals, some famous and some publicly unknown, who are so close in skills to those I mentioned as to be “practically as good” if you don’t happen to be the Creator of the Realms and thus able to split Faerûnian hairs better than anyone else. :} (And, I remind you, I’m leaving out creatures - - mariliths, just to give one example - - who have more than two arms, and so can fence with a forest of skillfully-swung blades.) There are certainly combat-active beings in the Realms with higher levels than these folks, who would probably beat them in most fights; the “best” swordsman doesn’t always win. (3e DMs can of course - - and should - - load up the above-listed NPCs with Weapon Finesse and other rules touches to enhance their combat superiority.)
Oh, one more matter: I’ll get to Gerath Hoan’s request for more about Sraece Telthorn as soon as I can. Promise.

So saith Ed. You heard it here first.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  05:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I have a question about the end of Elminster, Making of a Mage, and please forgive me, my copy is 2,500 miles away, so I can't look up exact names.

At the big dance at the end, after the good guys have won, Myrjala pulls the old herald out onto the dance floor after teasing him about when they had met in his youth. I'd really like the story behind that. Who was he? Where did he meet Myrjala/Mystra, and why did he think she couldn't dance? When and how did he find out who she actually was?

This is a little area of Realmslore, one of the many little backstories, that I've always loved, and always been curious about. Thanks in advance... hopefully *this* question shouldn't require any NDA dodging!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  17:23:28  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello again sir Ed,

I was curious as to the nature of mirrors in the realms, I seek to make use of them in a spell but I'm not clear if they are "true mirrors" in the sense of what we use in RL. Also are mirrors rare across the lands and would a true mirror give people pause, create superstitions, I'm assuming Barbarians of most races would find mirrors disconcerting etc.... If I had a spell that created a wall of mirrors before a group of low to medium intelligent humanoid monsters would that give them pause. Do mirrors reflect any type of magic rays, spells besides the obvious like light spells, I'm assuming a ray of light before a mirror would be reflected back at caster. Are Faerun mirrors crafted well enough, flat surface, etc..... to be able to do such things describe above. More importantly who makes mirrors and what would the cost be of a very well crafted medium person full length mirror?

Edited by - createvmind on 09 Feb 2006 17:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  18:49:22  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
quote:
[Sraece Telthorn (CN hm Ftr16/Thief-Acrobat7: Dex 18, Cha 16)

Oh, one more matter: I’ll get to Gerath Hoan’s request for more about Sraece Telthorn as soon as I can. Promise.

Thanks to Ed and THO... that's a good enough start for me already!

Since I purchased a second hand copy of FR Adventures a few years ago, I've been meaning to run a swashbuckling style game where I could make use of Yhaunn and the fantastically described Stiltways Market... I can just see a really fun and silly duel (think in the character of the Princess Bride movie) swinging and climbing between the various levels and stalls/shops. Sraece Telthorn just seems like the perfect character to get mixed up in such adventures.

I look forward to more words from the master (and I mean all his Realmslore replies, not just those for my questions).

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  22:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:

Once again Ed delves into the fascinating subject of wiping oneself after defecation

Thanks O enlightened one for the answer to this light, but how important, question. It was most ... interesting. I can presume that like in our world there is many different types of thareea (material, scent etc.)

Bakra there's nothing to be shocked about. I think Slime Lord is quite correct about the fact that this method was widely used in Asia and Middle East as far as I know and is still today in many (remote?) places. But I can't really say for sure, it's what I read. As for the Realms, this mystery is now solved.

Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  01:51:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello all. I bring you Ed’s reply to BobROE’s query: “When farmers claim some plot of land do they tend towards square/rectangular areas (barring a geographic feature preventing it), or just whatever they can claim with the minimal amount of clearning? And do they fence/hedge their plots or do they use natural features as edging (so what I mean would you find a fence/hedge up against the endge of a forest [and lets assume the farmer is growing something, not keeping livestock])?”
Ed speaks:

Ranchers use natural boundaries (rock outcrops, creeks, gullies) as much as possible, trying to guard against wolves and other predators and wandering livestock by hurling up barriers made of felled trees and heaped-up brush, stumps, rocks, and other “cleared from the land” rubbish; few beasts like to try to traverse a huge heap of sharp sticks that soon get covered in thorny vines. In the Savage Frontier and dales, a VERY common field boundary is a creek, with such a tangled hurled-up barrier on its far (untended) side.
Where trees are plentiful, “lazy” (or zig-zag split-rail) fences are often constructed by felling trees and crisscrossing the trunks, to form a barrier on the edge of a woods. The barrier won’t stop anything determined, like boar or owlbears; it’s there to keep deer from casually grazing their way out of the forest and into the farmer’s precious crop fields (he’ll starve if they’re denued, remember).
A farmer keeping livestock would probably NOT fence a forest-edge, so as to let his beasts graze the tree-leaves (yes, I know modern real-world agriculture frowns on letting animals graze in woodlots; Faerûnian farmers don’t know modern real-world agriculture). Everyone in the Realms knows the futility of trying to fence out wolves, leucrotta, and other agile “prowling predators,” and instead will band together with other farmers to mount hunts in the forest, to try to “keep down” such “wildjaws” (in the real world, “varmints” is the linguistic equivalent of “wildjaws”).
Kitchen gardeners and those who raise poultry (that they fence in) begin with small, whatever-they-can-manage plots, and expand only as necessary.
Anyone who ploughs fields, however, ends up with a vaguely rectangular tilled area, consisting of long straight “ploughruns” (furrows), with a rounded area at either end where the ploughing team or single beast is turned; even if the farmer himself is pulling the plough, he needs a turning area.

So saith Ed, whose grandparents and cousins farmed in his youth. Ed now lives out in the country, amid farms, but admits that it’s been a long time since he “drove” a plowing team. Er, except the game-product-writing kind.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  03:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, I’m trying to remember where in print Ed referred to “table magic.” Ed? THO? Anyone? (And, of course, I’d hereby like to nudge Ed into describing it more, for us all!)
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  05:07:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, I’m trying to remember where in print Ed referred to “table magic.” Ed? THO? Anyone? (And, of course, I’d hereby like to nudge Ed into describing it more, for us all!)
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it was in "Hand of Fire", the last Shandril novel.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  21:38:25  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, I’m trying to remember where in print Ed referred to “table magic.”

I'm pretty sure it was in "Hand of Fire", the last Shandril novel.

-- George Krashos

And I believe it also appears briefly in Silverfall, though my copy has gone astray, so I can unfortunately not confirm this with page references or whatnot.
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
I’m with George: I care far more about the stories and essential characters of NPCs rather than their stats, but all right, I’ll (reluctantly) provide barebones...

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much, Ed. Sorry to be a pain...

THO: helpless without you, as always. Thanks.

*sketches a bow and a wink to Krash*

Cheers,

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  01:13:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Helpless, darling? (Chuckle) WELL, now…
Ahem. Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed answers Jamallo Kreen’s query: “I have been doing much poking about in several books serially, including El in Hell, and I wonder if there are detailed, otherwise published write-ups of some of the "lesser" memories which El recalled -- the ones which didn't rate mention in the prefatory pages? If so, where might they be found (aside from Ed's collection of 3x5 cards, that is)?”
Ed replies:

I wrote up a LOT of memories that didn’t make it into ELMINSTER IN HELL, some of them short-story length, and many, many brief snippets that broke off abruptly as Nergal roared and ranted. However, they were trimmed from the book to make it fit the wordcount, and I’m not at liberty to publish them elsewhere (WotC owns them). I may sneak a few of them onto the WotC website as supportive material for future novel releases, if certain book projects (which some of them “fit with”) bear fruit.
Of course, by then I probably won’t be able to find my computer file equivalents of those 3x5 cards you mention . . . or computers will no longer exist that can read them. :}

So saith Ed. Who’s humming along on divers Realms projects for us all right now. No, dad’s the word on that (mum’s used to be the word, but we wore her out).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  01:17:45  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Perhaps that the next anthology: Realms of Elminster.
Another best of Ed Greenwood anthology.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Where can I find a map of Nesme'? The Silver Marches says the city is on a plateau, is circular and has a high stone wall around it (plus a fortified bridge across the Surbrin) and bristles with catapults and heavy crossbows. Where can I find more information on it though?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  16:08:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
More information on Nesmé?

Volo's Guide to the North and The North boxed set.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  19:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
There has never been an official Nesme map that I know of, but there was one I believe in the Northern Journey adventure, a lovingly detailed, fan-written adventure that had maps of many of the cities of the North.

The Northern Journey can be found at this link here: http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/njstart.htm

The map of Nesme can be found on page 63 of the Northern Journey West pdf. downloadable at this link here: http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/njdownld.htm#pdf
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  21:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Greetings to the Lovely Hooded One and Ed,

I have yet another question that I can't seem to find the answer for. It may already exist somewhere, cuz it seems like I have seen it before, but I can't remember where.

When children (or adults for that matter) are being taught writing, math, geometry, gem-magic powered rocket science, whatever: What do they write upon? Do they use wax tablets, chalkboards, paper, etc?

Thanks

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  21:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Many thanks! The map of Nesme' is just what I was looking for, although it appears to be pre-siege that I can take care of fairly easily.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  22:02:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Greetings to the Lovely Hooded One and Ed,

I have yet another question that I can't seem to find the answer for. It may already exist somewhere, cuz it seems like I have seen it before, but I can't remember where.

When children (or adults for that matter) are being taught writing, math, geometry, gem-magic powered rocket science, whatever: What do they write upon? Do they use wax tablets, chalkboards, paper, etc?

Thanks

Mkhaiwati

The basic answer, much like farming it depends. FR has all the materials you list. Regional aspects both culture and resouces will effect what is available for writing. Scrolls clearly are common, ink at times hard to make, wax should be universal (though making wax tables might be beyound the tech of some groups), and so on. Some writing is chiseled stone because that is what is available. Teaching reading and writing can be as simple as writing in sand, snow, mud, dirt as so on. True that none of these last forever as they are easy to erase. A better question is how a location teaches their young, though even here it will depend on local conditions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  23:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello again sir Ed,

I was curious as to the nature of mirrors in the realms, I seek to make use of them in a spell but I'm not clear if they are "true mirrors" in the sense of what we use in RL. Also are mirrors rare across the lands and would a true mirror give people pause, create superstitions, I'm assuming Barbarians of most races would find mirrors disconcerting etc.... If I had a spell that created a wall of mirrors before a group of low to medium intelligent humanoid monsters would that give them pause. Do mirrors reflect any type of magic rays, spells besides the obvious like light spells, I'm assuming a ray of light before a mirror would be reflected back at caster. Are Faerun mirrors crafted well enough, flat surface, etc..... to be able to do such things describe above. More importantly who makes mirrors and what would the cost be of a very well crafted medium person full length mirror?

As far as barbarians shunning mirrors, you'll find some reflection (no pun intended) on that in my novel Son of Thunder.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  23:05:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Sir Ed,

The dwarf bridge called Stone Bridge on the River Dessarin, who lays claim to it, Waterdeep or Yartar? Also what lays claim to or roams the land east of the Graypeak Mountains, basically between the mountains and the River Delimbyr and a mile or so below the waterfall and raised plateau I gather is there. Basically if I sought to establish a town in either one of those places besides the nearby towns/cities what else would I contend it. I see the area above Llorkh and Loudwater as more viable land even though I'm aware of the turmoil in and around it however the NPC wants to secretly build in 1372 and prefers a location that see's little current traffic. A situation he hopes to fix after he has establish a secure-what occurs during building process will be reflective of Dragon rage and of course fiend, demon elf movements,etc..... I don't know if this is contractual stuff but the gem dragon that lives within the Graypeak who does all the scrying would you say he sleeps through the rage or will further info on him come up at the wotc site or in upcoming Dragons of Faerun book?

One more thing, would children born with physical disabilities and left at a monastaries doorstep be trained to the best of their ability despite handicap or just utilized in basic chores? Deaf, mute, blind, deformity etc.......... Is there any sign language of any kind for the deaf that YOU created?

Sorry so here and there but it's actually all relative to me

Thanks.

Edited by - createvmind on 12 Feb 2006 05:16:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  05:35:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

More information on Nesmé?

Volo's Guide to the North and The North boxed set.

And both are available as free downloads on the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  07:10:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Well again, Ed and my Lady Hooded One!

I was reading the Dragon Magazine article on fantasy astrological signs, earlier this eve... It made me ponder a couple of things. Though both topics have been discussed, I don't believe anyone has ever thought to ask Ed.

So... Does astrology exist in the Realms? Is there a zodiac? And what constellations exist in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000