Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  23:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Still nudging for ever more lore on classic Torilian literature, artistic styles, and numismatics, Jamallo Kreen, Friend of Religion, bids a fine day (or e'en) to all and makes inquiries from Serpent Kingdoms:

1a. What, besides Serpent Kingdoms itself, is the best source of information on the Shadowking (p. 111f) and Ebenfar?

1b. What are shadow-spinners (p. 111) and where are they "statted"?

2. If it's not NDA, is there any lore at all left in the Vaults of Record (p. 115), or is it totally cleaned out except for nick-nacks dropped by wandering monsters? (I.e. are there still wall paintings or engravings, or undiscovered hiden rooms, or has it been so thoroughly and completely ransacked as to serve as nought but Mr. McGuffin's red herring trail mix for contemporary adventurers?)

3. Again, if it's not NDA, could a patient necromancer, using some enhanced version of Speak With the Dead or a similar (and perhaps more powerful) spell, to interrogate a dead sarrukh mage and his fellows and begin to reconstruct the text of the Golden Skins of the World Serpent (a.k.a. the Nether Scrolls)? LEoF gave us some rules about what reading a chapter or so fo the Scrolls could do for one, so one wonders: is this known because necromancers have been reconstructing them? If so, who, on Toril, would be the scholars most likely to have worked up fairly accurate versions of at least a chapter or so? Is this, at last, an example of the "forbidden lore" about which I inquired a year or so ago?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2869 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  23:50:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
1b. What are shadow-spinners (p. 111) and where are they "statted"?

I'm not Ed, but 3.0 stats for shadow spiders can be found on page 284 of the MMII, and were updated in the 3.5 Conversion Document.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  03:17:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tackles this query from crazedventurers: “was there an 'original' name for the ruling family of Cormyr? and if so, why did it get changed?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian. Jeff Grubb named the ruling family of Cormyr because I hadn’t (I had them using “Cormyr” as their surname, but TSR wanted things more clear-cut and less confusing, for the “12-year-old American male” audience they were aiming for; obviously they thought 12-year-old American males were more stupid than I think they are). Jeff and his wife Kate fell in love with Cormyr, that most lovable of my original kingdoms, and in a way ‘put themselves’ into the Realms as the Wyvernspurs, so I just stepped back out of the way and watched the resulting fun (what’s sometimes called the Azure Bonds trilogy) with a big grin. Later, of course, Jeff and I collaborated on CORMYR: A NOVEL. We remain close friends, and I hope someday to see new Grubb & Novak (or even just Grubb, or just Novak) Realms novels.

So saith Ed. Folks wanting to keep current with what Jeff’s up to should check out his blog, at: www.grubbstreet.blogspot.com
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  03:33:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I hope someday to see new Grubb & Novak (or even just Grubb, or just Novak) Realms novels.

Ed is not alone in that desire. Many of us have expressed this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  16:35:32  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
For those that were discussing the worshipper comments with each other and THO I moved your replies to this scroll to unclutter Ed's.

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6034

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  01:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Could the Bearded One reveal anything about the strange "ruins of glass" (perhaps build of Glassteel?) in Farsea Marshes, and perhaps if there were any ruins in the Vast Swamp in the "Home Realms"?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  01:38:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. This time, Ed steps up once more to matters godly, to make reply to this, from Skeptic: “First, according to the flavor of the Realms (and not the current editions rules) must a cleric include the name of his deity in the "verbal component" of his spells? If yes, can he use a more obscure alias? Second, when a spell mentions that the cleric must show his deity's symbol, can this symbol be disguised as a mundane item or even as another deity symbol ? (Of course in respect of the deity's dogma!) These questions come from the cleric of Bane in my current campaign who doesn't like to live in Waterdeep. (The party forced him to add a "illusion" effect on his full plate carved with his deity symbol.)”
Ed replies:

Many lesser spells don’t require that the deity be mentioned by name; the incants are prayers or prayer fragments that don’t happen to include the name of the deity. For most more powerful clerical spells having a verbal component, the deity IS called upon by name, and although the priest can in many cases use aliases without ruining the spell, few of those that apply to Bane, the relevant deity here, are truly going to be “obscure” to most folk in the Realms (remember: every human in the Realms knows of, and believes in, the same gods, albiet with some local name differences, rather than cleaving to a single deity, so the PC priest you mention CAN’T hide what he’s doing effectively from people in Waterdeep). And no, he CAN’T disguise his holy symbol and still have the spell work, if it’s a spell above 2nd level. Bane expects him to publicly bear witness to his faith, so as to impress (or cow) others. Bane is the god of tyranny, remember?
Yes, that can lead to problems. Which is why so many priests of evil deities cast spells indoors, at night, in cellars or other hidden places. If they don’t want their activities to be traced to their homes, they often rent a room in a bad inn or upstairs room at a Dock Ward tavern, or even take a room at a good festhall, send the pleasure-lass out, bar the door behind her, and get to work.
Of course, being a priest of Bane, he might just harshly order the pleasure-lass around, and then tie her down, blindfold her, and cast his spells (if doing so isn’t going to impart names and information to her that she can specifically report to the Watch for, later, and incriminate him) while she cowers, wondering if she’s going to be sacrificed or molested, so he can please Bane with her fear and his tyranny.
And yes, such deeds can indeed lead to other problems. Playing a priest in the Realms often shouldn’t be easy.

So saith Ed. * I * remember being tied down and blindfolded, both in the Realms as a character and in real life. I don’t recall cowering, though.
I’ll try it again, tonight, and see if I do.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  01:56:50  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Exactly the answer I wanted to hear, I won't feel bad with my "harsh ruling" anymore

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  01:24:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to this post, from Dragonstar: “My question pertains to Silverymoon's Wards. In the FRCS and Silver Marches, the how and why of the wards are mostly explained, but the only distance covered for application of the ward's effects is to 1,000 ft outside the walls of the city. Protection is listed as applying both above and below the city, but how far? This is relevant to my campaign, as I need to figure out how far down to send the players before they can get to a portal that will work without having a ward token.”
Ed speaks:

Looks like a little detail got edited out of the wards descriptions. They’re not precisely mythals, no, but they ARE spherical, both above and below ground (and, yes, extending through the flowing waters and bed of the River Rauvin). Picture a sphere with its outer edges a thousand feet beyond the outermost walls (“the farthest point out” of those walls) north of the city (in other words, travel a thousand feet outwards in a straight line from the point on the Northbank Silverymoon walls that’s farthest from the river, and construct the sphere using that “thousand-foot-out” point as the boundary of the sphere, and a point on the riverbank, reached back along the straight line you’ve already traveled outwards from the walls, as the centre of the sphere). Southbank Silverymoon is smaller than Northbank, but the sphere extends invisibly (except when glowing faintly with reflected starshine or the radiance of the Moonbridge) beyond it regardless, the size of that sphere determined by the extent of the Northbank walls (in other words, the wards extend MORE than a thousand feet out from the Southbank walls).
Mark both of those outermost beyond-the-walls points, and then redraw your “sphere” using them as two of the outer limits - - because Silverymoon’s wards AREN’T a proper sphere, you see. They actually take the shape of an ovoid. To determine its precise extent, go a thousand feet downstream (from the west wall) and a thousand feet upstream from the east wall) of the spots where the outer walls reach the river, and make your ovoid by joining these two spots and the two “outermost” ones you already have.
So Arivia’s instincts were right in her comment “From what we know about mythals, I'd suggest that it's spherically shaped...” (though Hoondatha was also right to say: “My feeling is that a mythal takes whatever shape it needs to in order to cover the city.”) Again, Silverymoon’s wards aren’t quite mythals, for reasons that are still under NDA right now (hint: think SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER, involvement of some of Mystra’s servants, tales yet untold, etc.).

So saith Ed, tireless hinter of Realmslore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  13:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
And no, he CAN’T disguise his holy symbol and still have the spell work, if it’s a spell above 2nd level. Bane expects him to publicly bear witness to his faith, so as to impress (or cow) others. Bane is the god of tyranny, remember?

How would this apply to a priest of Mask say? (or in older times a priest of Leira (sp?))
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  16:59:24  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Let me preface this with: Ed doesn't have to answer this if he doesn't want to. I know the last time I brought up a topic related to this, it wasn't something he really wanted to answer. :)

Ed,

This comment from THO to me back in 2004 has caused some heated dislike on the WOTC boards because people feel that it's not "fair" to those who wield spellfire that they can't absorb Shadow Weave based magics and so I was wondering, via a lore stand point, if you could expand on why spellfire wouldn't be able to absorb Shadow Weave based magics.

The comment was: November 24, 2004, "kuje31, Ed wanted me to reiterate that he’s not the right person to ask about official 3.5e games rules questions (he’d refer this one to Rich Baker), but if this arose in a situation where he was DM, Ed would not allow access to both Shadow Weave and Weave-based effects (including spellfire). In his words, that’s like the ‘greedy-greedy’ space soldier who wants to fire a matter-ray and an anti-matter ray at the same time. Nuh-uh."

Also, some people feel that comment really isn't an "answer" to use when someone asks for lore on if a spellfire wielder can or can't absorb Shadow Weave magics. How those posters believe that, I'm not sure since it seems clear, in that comment, that you wouldn't allow a spellfire wielder to absorb Shadow Weave based magics, but er, they claim that isn't what you meant. :)

I keep getting thrown references about Evereska's Mythal and how the two Weaves interact in that Mythal and they claim that magic is magic and that the two Weaves should be able to interact with Spellfire and so they are claiming that you don't know what you are talking about when that above quote was posted.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Feb 2006 02:50:51
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  20:34:55  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karth

quote:
So saith Ed. Who can now obviously add dunghandler to his resumé, if he’s minded to. Or not, as the case may be.

Outstanding. Question answered and then some, as usual. Many thanks, Ed and THO, both.

I'll torture my players accordingly.

In the privy, no one can hear you scream....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Seeker

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
this is a question for ed:
the netheril mountains in one of the 2e moduals if I remember ight it's the volo's guild to the north or the north.
here's the question, one of the two mention the dwarfs tombs where the dwarfs kings and queens are buried. It also hints towards the dwarfs having some wizards buried in the tombs also.
Is anything coming out to readdress the netheril mounftains dwarfs tombs, and is there more explanation's coming from the wotc about the tombs
just would like to know since the tombs are hinted to be delzone tombs.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  02:58:08  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

I saw this on the WOTC boards.

selunatic2397 said, "I always tell the local dm's in my town that the constant creation of new names is the hardest part of my job. I am in a constant state of awe regarding the ability of Ed Greeenwood to literally pour out new names in a tsunami-like torrent and to always have them fit the situatuation and locale seamlessly [Kuje if you are reading this please pass my kudos to Ed for me and I will be eternally gratefull]"

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  03:02:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes of the Realms. (Thanks for the messages, Kuje; I'll pass them on.) This time around, Ed tackles Sanishiver’s question about overflowing magic: “Suppose an area just north of Suzail (say a half-day’s ride) were to become so overripe with heavy magic that the magic burst forth from its containment into the weave and spilled outward in all directions for several miles, inundating everything in that area with so much magical energy that magic items glowed and became warm (if not hot), hidden or ‘sleeping’ wards became visible and virtually every magical effect’s aura could be seen in the visible light spectrum, by mage and non-mage alike.
Now suppose this effect lasted a good tenday at least, to the point that charged items gained back a few previously spent charges, echoes of spell battles from the past could be heard (as well as the voices of the mages who participated in them), and old, forgotten, previously dispelled and/or nearly-spent wards/portals/magics were rejuvenated at least somewhat (where such wards might go as far back as the elves of the Wolf Woods who ruled before the first Obarskyr set foot in them).
Were such a thing to happen, what are some of the things you suppose might occur in Suzail, so far as men and magic are concerned?”
Ed replies:

Oooh, lovely.
Right: you’d have some spontaneous wild magic effects (discharges) from time to time, and as a result, swift action by the Purple Dragons, under the supervision of the War Wizards and upon the orders of Vangey or Caladnei (depending on who’s in charge of the Wizards of War in your campaign), backed up by whoever’s on the throne. They’ll be worried about Zhents, Red Wizards, or someone else magically powerful somehow harnessing these energies or doing something unintentional that spreads out of control, so they’ll be trying to keep unauthorized folk away from it.
In this, they’ll be completely successful when it comes to magically-adept beings (NOT normal folk carrying magic items), not because they have the power or competence to be, but because Mystra’s Chosen and lesser servants (spectral harpists and all of the others detailed in SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER) will be ‘on the job’ to back the War Wizards up (keeping themselves hidden from both the War Wizards and everyone else, as much as possible).
The exceptions, of course, will be Red Wizards, Zhents, and anyone else teleporting to known locations very close to the magic-strong area (INTO the magic-strong area will mean random “deflections” to anywhere embarrassing - - but unwarded - - in Cormyr you’d like such intrepid individuals to end up). Some battles would almost certainly erupt (again, the assistance of Mystra’s servants should determine decisively who ‘wins’).
I’d say every noble family interested in boldly sticking necks out in a bid for more power would send family members (with bodyguards, of course) riding to “go for a look-see,” using the excuse that they’re pledged to guard the security of the realm and MUST see what they’re up against, no matter what some officious War Wizard or Purple Dragon might say. Again, those who bring magic items along should have no difficulty in getting most of them recharged (exceptions governed by the specific nature of the item), and smart noble families will arrange loud attempted visits as diversions whilst the magic-item-carriers go alone, perhaps in guises of common folk with (normally) good reason to enter the magic-strong area.
Sages and mages desiring to legitimately study the magical phenomenon will naturally show up, just as swiftly as word spreads, and some of them will be dodderers and crazies, just as some of them will be cunning schemers seeking an advantage even if allied to no power group.
Mass arrivals in any place focus interest on that place, even after the reason has gone - - meaning, in this case, that after the magic-strong glows fade and the Weave is back to normal in the area, you’ll have a lot of interested-in-magic (or carrying-valuable-magic-items) people gathered in Cormyr, who may not all go away again soon, but tarry and try to explore the Forest Kingdom, and make trade deals or perform thefts or otherwise take advantage of their new surroundings. All in all, a superb campaign event, of the non-RSE, Bartholomew Cubbins things that “just happened to happen” and can be talked about for years afterward (and give your PCs, caught in the midst of it, years of headaches and leads and new foes, allies, or trade contacts, starting right now). Nice!

So saith Ed, sounding like the grinning-with-glee DM I know and love.
He’ll be back with another Realmslore reply on the morrow, all, so until then:
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  06:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Thank you Ed very much for your very useful reply and nice words! Thanks also to THO for forwarding messages to and fro for us all. Both your efforts are most appreciated.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Seeker

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  20:22:13  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message
Well met Lord Creator !

First of all I want to thank you for sharing that world of yours with us.
I have been riveted on the FR ever since I stumbled upon them by pure chance those years ago.

I would like to ask whether you care to elaborate on a very minor character in one of your novels (if that is a character of your creation which i assume).
That would be Mentor Wintercloak who does not appear but once (if I remember correctly) in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" (he assists in the creation of the Mythal but I bet that you can remember).
I am most eager for any pieces of your knowledge on him that you can offer.
All that I believe to know is that he was the teacher of Arun's son and that he was the secret mate of a elven wizard.
Thank you very much in advance.
You won't expect me to kiss your shoes now, will you ?

Edit: His current whereabouts are Unknown so I was wrong to state he was dead...

Farewell!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Edited by - At your Behest on 06 Feb 2006 09:33:55
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  01:28:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time out, Ed tackles createvmind’s query: “The Armand from MM3 is said to occupy Faerun within the Anarouch desert, my question is how would you depict them culturally, does a female have breast/multiple breast-teats and give birth to one offspring only. Would twins or triplets be considered good fortune within a tribe? And what names would they have within their own language and within common if their names were translatable. Would their vocal speech be high pitched or guttural, all these things I ask from what you see within your mindseye. Thank you.”
Ed speaks:

I see the Armand as few: three or four tribes at most, with no tribe having more than sixty individuals. They are well aware of the perils of the desert (from the Bedine and the other border-desert human tribes, through various desert monsters to the Shades and the Zhents) and keep a low profile, avoiding open strife with any armed, organized groups they see (move along rather than standing their ground, no raiding of caravans, et cetera). The Armand are hunter-gatherers (who set traps as well as pursue prey with spears and slung stones and clubs) AND maintain some wild “plantings” (olive and nut trees, grains). They have treasure gained from sand-swallowed Netherese cities (that desert storms uncover from time to time) and know the areas they range over very well (always knowing where the nearest cover or water or place they can dig down into, to REALLY hide, is). They can remain patiently motionless for hours, they don’t itch or sneeze, and their voices are soft (“burbling”) mucous-thick hissings that range in pitch about the same as human female voices (female and young armand have higher pitch, adult males have lower). The Armand have their own fragmentary tongue (about the same in extent and usage as Thieves’ Cant), but mainly speak Common, with a smooth, lilting, archaic accent.
Females have breasts (nipples unplated, the plates covering the rest of the breasts growing and ‘rising’ in shape as the breast tissue beneath them does), and have “finer” (narrower, more angular, and smaller) ears, snouts, and hands. Their plates are more often mauve, blue, or emerald green, whereas males more often have darker shades (dark brown or deep purple). [In other words, someone who knows how - - and of course all armand - - can easily tell males and females apart, but genders aren’t obvious at a glance to someone who doesn’t know the differences.] The harsh desert conditions make single births per season the norm, and if food and water becomes scarce or winter cold comes down, a female’s body automatically ‘suspends’ the growth of a fertilized egg at any stage, within her, without aborting or developing the unborn farther. At puberty, females are very fertile, but after their first childbearing, they grow less and less so - - because unlike human females, an armand ‘she’ won’t conceive a subsequent time until her body is completely physically recovered from a birth (in other words, many armand females can’t become pregnant again for as many as three years after giving birth). Triplets would be almost unheard-of, and twins considered a sign of divine favor upon the family, obligating the entire tribe to closely assist in rearing and tending both of the twins.
Armand are naturally curious (lifelong, they seek to “experience everything”) but they aren’t naive innocents, easily tricked or lured into being captured, slain, or even readily attacked. They WILL accompany humans they befriend and trust out of the desert (away from their families) to experience things, and if possible return to share stories of all they’ve seen with their tribe. The tribes DON’T fight among themselves or even have rivalries, and all call themselves “urr” (which means “us”) rather than having distinctive names (they call the other tribes names like “daen-Urroe,” which means “them-[once] led-by-[a warden named] Urroe,” “daen” being them; “daerr” means not-armand, and is their deadliest insult when said of each other). Armand are slow to anger and don’t hold grudges, tending to share property and be physically affectionate within their tribe, not just strictly with mates.
Their names don’t have literal meanings in Common, but are based on the sounds they most often used when very young (the parents adopt a common name closest to a favourite sound their youngling uses or responds to), with family names based on the names of family founders (typical family names: Burlurr, Laeren, Murrnarr, Urrlan).
A few common male names: Brurl, Durl, Eskyss, Forl, Hooud, Iysskurr, Jhasskurr, Murrep, Norl, Orroe, Resskurr, Urroe, Zorrusk.
A few common female names: Baerra, Doolaerra, Evdarr, Faen, Haela, Imriss, Javaen, Maerl, Noovae, Ohhnd, Raeza, Uoumraa, Zauvae.
[Note the letters names do NOT begin with; these are the sounds not often found in armand speech.]
All of this is, of course, just the way I see them.

So saith Ed. Expert on all sorts of odd things, by now, and possessor of a beard that regularly has really small children calling him “Santa” in supermarkets and stores.
Failing extreme mischance, he’ll be back with more Realmslore tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  02:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Ed with regard to adding "Planar or Draconic Blood to a mortal

I was wonder if Ed could detail any spells/Rituals that would allow a mortal Character/NPC to add the Half Dragon/fiend/elemental/celestial etc tempaltes without being born with them.

There are several FR NPCs that have gained these templates eithout being born with the templates.

Vargo Kent from CoR gained the half Black Dragon template

Sun Elves from the Daemonfey gained the Half Fiend Template

A certain character from a recent FR novel has likely gained the Half Celestial template

Thanks in advance!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Learned Scribe

Poland
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  09:58:10  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Dear Ed,

I have a question for you - are there any "Bandit Lords" active in the Western Heartlands ?? By this term I mean warlords who possess a title (baron, count, etc.) and command their own bands or even small armies and indulge in waylaying caravans ?? If yes, could you give me some samples of such individuals ?? I'd be very, very grateful to you for an answer

Thanks

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Another question offered at the feet of the master:

In the Silver Marches book, there is mention of a "tentacled --thing--" in the middle of the Fallen Lands that is capable of pulling down a dragon flying overhead. Any chance of more information on just what this 'thing' is?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  16:37:24  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

Another question offered at the feet of the master:

In the Silver Marches book, there is mention of a "tentacled --thing--" in the middle of the Fallen Lands that is capable of pulling down a dragon flying overhead. Any chance of more information on just what this 'thing' is?

This has been asked about last year. :) It's still in the to be answered list. :)

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  18:53:02  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you so much, that was great feedback and beyond my expectations sir. Now I hope to do them proper justice in my depiction of them.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  02:06:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. To createvmind, Ed says:

My pleasure. You're quite welcome, and glad to be of help.

And then Ed answers Aquanova’s question: “. . . are you currently planning a Telflamm version of the Uthmere series (or just one article) for WotC, or further magnification and detailing the Shadowmasters and their current state of affairs or the sinister and crime-filled world they dwell wherein?”
Ed replies:

At the moment, I’m not planning any Telflamm or Shadowmasters coverage soon, in part because of NDAs. I direct you to the superb Telflamm piece by Realms loremaster George Krashos in one of the Candlekeep Compendia. That’s not to say that I don’t have unpublished lore, and as-yet-unrevealed plans, regarding Telflamm, mind you. :}

So saith Ed (chuckling mysteriously, by the sounds of that last sentence).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  05:22:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I direct you to the superb Telflamm piece by Realms loremaster George Krashos in one of the Candlekeep Compendia.
That would be Volume I, my lady .

Aquanova... see my sig for the link to the Compendiums here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000