Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:48:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed answers a recent pair of Blueblade “yes/no” questions: “Did Vangerdahast marry or at least have offspring before the events of ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER? Did any of his predecessors as Royal Magician/Court Wizard have offspring we don't know about yet, in published Realmslore?”
Ed replies:

Yes, and yes. Specifics? NDA.

So saith Ed. Well, two definite answers, folks, even if they’re frustratingly terse.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hmm. Yes/No Questions.. just so we can try to beat last years 84 pages of the scroll.

Does Alusair Obarskyr have a name for her own, personal sword?

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  04:20:11  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
My fellow scribes,

I throw this query out to whomever can answer it or point me in the right direction. As I've recently discovered this wonderful site, I've been voraciously devouring the 2004 and 2005 threads. Can someone tell me where I might find information about the obscure Chosen of Mystra that were mentioned other than the main players we
often disuses?

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 30 Dec 2006 04:56:16
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4905 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:01:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
"Secrets of the Magister", "The Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook, and the last chapter of Ed's novel "The Temptation of Elminster" for some references to hitherto unmentioned Chosen.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:16:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
And, as always... Cult of the Dragon is available as a free PDF at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:39:40  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Secrets of the Magister", "The Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook, and the last chapter of Ed's novel "The Temptation of Elminster" for some references to hitherto unmentioned Chosen.

-- George Krashos

And Lost Empires for Embrae. Cormanthyr and The Fall of Myth Drannor for Symmruster. The same elven books and Lost Empires for the Srinshee, plus Ed's Tears so White in the Realms of the Elves anthology.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 05:45:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:52:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

And Lost Empires for Embrae. Cormanthyr and The Fall of Myth Drannor for Symmruster. The same elven books and Lost Empires for the Srinshee, plus Ed's Tears so White in the Realms of the Elves anthology.

Essentially, they breakdown as follows:-

Alvaerele Tasundrym
Secrets of the Magister

Symrustar Auglamyr
Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves and Fall of Myth Drannor (available as free PDFs at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads)

The Srinshee
Elminster in Myth Drannor
Realms of the Elves in the "Tears so White" short story
Elminster in Hell (she has a slight appereance)
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Lost Empires of Faerun

Embrae of Ardeep
Lost Empires of Faerun

Nadrathen
The Temptation of Elminster

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:53:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and Steven Schend briefly discusses a few of them in his replies here at Candlekeep also.

Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  16:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Now Uzzy, that's hardly fair. If Ed or THO were trying to match last year's number of pages, they'd be handing us LONG replies, not yes/no answers that are "terse." We've been told repeatedly just how busy Ed is, and we can see the evidence for ourselves. I just hope he doesn't overwork himself to death for us.
So, of course, I'm adding to that overwork. Again.
Specifically, with another Realmslore question for Ed: Ed has told us that many wealthy and noble Waterdhavians "go south" for the winter, and I can guess that Amn and Tethyr are popular destinations for overwintering. Can Ed tell us anything more about where such folks go? Are there "newly fashionable" destinations, from time to time?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  16:14:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Hey, I just post 'em as Ed sends 'em.
Herewith, Ed’s response to Broken Helm, re. this: “Will Ed, by the end of Swords of Dragonfire, give us a clearer roster of the noble families of Cormyr?”
Ed replies:

A “roster” specifically, “clearer” or otherwise: no. A few names of individual nobles germane to the story: yes.
I don’t know when we’ll get the chance to “do the noble families properly,” I’m afraid; that Cormyr sourcebook idea seems to remain an elusive, ever-receding phantom. However, I (and scribes such as Garen Thal and Tom Costa) remain ever-hopeful. You’ll certainly learn a little more about a certain cabal of scheming nobles, but that’s about all I can promise, I’m afraid.

So saith Ed. Who has vividly brought to life scores of Cormyrean nobles in Realmsplay, over the years. We laughed our way through some incredible evenings of Ed portraying monacle-wearing, leering, braying old nobles at feasts as we Knights sought to learn this or that, or persuade, or impart manipulative gossip, from, to, or with them. He'd harrumph and tell old tales and have their monacles popping off into drinks and down the bosoms of females they were flirting with, and we'd be laughing too hard to catch all the lore hints and adventure hooks and leads he was feeding us . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  17:47:45  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's my yes/no question.

Back at the beginning of October Dargoth asked about Elaith and now that I read over the list that Dargoth provided, some of those activities don't strike me as illegal/criminal in Waterdeep.

So, my question is this: Is prostitution and gambling really illegal/criminal in Waterdeep?

Edit: Ah, forget that. I found the answer later in my file. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 18:03:27
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Greetings once more Ed and THO,

Any information you can share about what sports Realms folk might play? I can envision many such events dealing with martial skills, I am however wondering about other such sports and if they are played a la football, yard darts, cricket, etc.

A safe new year to all.

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 30 Dec 2006 19:06:38
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:07:55  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Greetings once more Ed and THO,

Any information you can share about what sports Realms folk might play? I can envision many such events dealing with martial skills, I however am wondering about other such sports and if they are played a la football, yard darts, cricket, etc.

A safe new year to all.

Ed discussed this in March 29th, 2004. But maybe he'll give us some more. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Dec 2006 19:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  19:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

While he was polishing off Jamallo Kreen’s bombards questions, Ed shrugged, smiled, and penned a reply to his next question, that followed on its heels: “After decades of gaming with almost no one having a familiar, my current batch of players have ALL decided to have familiars. What, prithee, Master of the Green Wood, would be the Elven term for a normal (i.e., non-sidhe) riding dog which is a familiar for its rider? That, at least, is how the player would probably like the question phrased. Others might phrase it as, "What is the term for a big, stupid, vicious, paladin-biting, cannibalistic mongrel?"”
Ed replies:

The applicable elven words here are:
dog = taryaryah
large = raun
dangerous/vicious = gabreth, glaeth
(gabreth literally means “likely to turn on you, cruel in battle” whereas glaeth means “formidable in battle, well armed or having the capacity to do much damage”)
riding, hunting, trained = irbryn

However, as is often the case in matters linguistic, speakers found “raun-gabreth-ibryn-taryaryah” way too much of a mouthful to use as a term (an explanation, yes, but a term, no), and so coined a word for the hunting dogs they often encounter (such as the war dogs many humans use): the word “raegar.”
Note: this is never applied to wild dogs, just to trained dogs.
Pronounciations:
gabreth: “gah-BRETH”
glaeth: “GLAY-thh”
ibryn: “IB-rin”
raun: “RAW-nn”
raegar: “RAY-garr”
taryaryah: “tar-YAR-yah”

So saith Ed. Who’s not the linguist Tolkien was, but does his best (given the scant time he has to deal with all the Realmslore queries hurled at him, in the crazily crowded endless omnibus of a farrago he has of a “life”). Or as he once put it, “Why can’t * I * have the time to be an Oxford don, and go strolling out of an evening to drink and debate with friends? Nix on the smoking, but I’d stick an unlit pipe in my mouth all night if it was demanded of me!”
love to all,
THO

Much great thanks, Lord of the Green Wood and Your Ladyship!

I have reposted your reply for my players to read (thank you both and Saer Alaundo!); I am certain they will get a big kick out of it. Reading your answer, though, prompts (as usual), still other questions: Is there an Elven word for a (sorcerer's/wizard's) familiar, and if so, what, pray, is it? Apropos of Alaundo, what -- in the various languages of Faerun -- are the words for "Librarian," "Chief Librarian," (Deneirath) "Priest-Librarian," and related terms? If one is an adherant of Oghma or Deneir or Dugmarin Brightmantle, is there a special honorific one applies in conversation to the name of a Librarian (e.g., "O you of great lore preservation ...")?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  20:16:54  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
It's obvious that the realms word for Librarian is...

ED!

PS: Also known as an Ook!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  20:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message
A question to Ed or anyone who might be able to steer me in the right direction (found nothing in the archives concerning it):

The Iron Throne

Always a favorite of mine but very little has been written, to my knowledge, on this particular consortium of merchants.

Anything would be helpful and if Ed wants to give some info on who founded it and why and how they are doing today in the Realms and which routes they "ride heavy" on and who they have "unfinished business" with, as it were, and maybe which nations/kingdoms/countries they owe or who owe them favors and...well...you get the idea.

If he should decide, on a whim, to elucidate on these different matters then who am I to object....it's not like I'm badgering or harping (no pun intended) on the subject 'cause I would never do that. By which I mean I would never beg annoyingly for someone to give me any special attention. Did I mention that I only have a few decades left to live and time is running short. Not that I'm implying that Ed would ever deny the dying request of a man but I'm just saying that a lot could happen in a scant few decades and....well...I'll shut up now.

anyway: As always thanks for being here for us, Ed and Lady The Hooded One.

-Mythrainer

p.s. "ride heavy" is a phrase that my PC's have been using for a while to communicate situations where someone or a group of someones gears up for a fight (not neccessarily in numbers i.e. could apply to a lone mage memorizing battle-magics before going to a meeting, or a caravan hiring additional guards, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  22:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hehe. Guess it is hardly fair, Sage of Stars. Heck, I'm very glad that even one page of replies from Ed exists!

I've another question, a longer one this time. Just read 'Traitors' from Realms of the Elves, and started thinking. Who was the first Dragonslayer? Have their been any famous Dragonslayers in Faerúnian history?

Thanks again in advance for any answers, to this and all the others you continue to supply us with Ed. (And thanks to THO, for bringing them to us, and generally being rather lovely! )
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  23:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A “roster” specifically, “clearer” or otherwise: no. A few names of individual nobles germane to the story: yes.
I don’t know when we’ll get the chance to “do the noble families properly,” I’m afraid; that Cormyr sourcebook idea seems to remain an elusive, ever-receding phantom. However, I (and scribes such as Garen Thal and Tom Costa) remain ever-hopeful. You’ll certainly learn a little more about a certain cabal of scheming nobles...

Ooh, boy! I never get tired of reading about those.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  23:23:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
This is a just a reminder to all scribes that it's getting close to the last day for which this edition of "Ed's scroll" will be open.

In about 24 hours, we'll be closing this one and opening a brand new 2007 scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  23:28:26  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This is a just a reminder to all scribes that it's getting close to the last day for which this edition of "Ed's scroll" will be open.

In about 24 hours, we'll be closing this one and opening a brand new 2007 scroll.

Yup,

I'm waiting for Alaundo to go. Ahem! Where's my file! *Whip crack*

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  00:09:13  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Well, for New Years, I was going to Waterdeep and spend the night at The Raging Lion. Sadly, I still have no clue as to what it will cost, so I guess I'll have to stay at the Jade Jug. Poor little me!

Actually I just wanted to wish Mr. Greenwood and yourself, Lady THO, a Happy New Year, and to the rest of you as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 31 Dec 2006 02:19:13
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  00:38:23  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I've another question, a longer one this time. Just read 'Traitors' from Realms of the Elves, and started thinking. Who was the first Dragonslayer? Have their been any famous Dragonslayers in Faerúnian history?

-Judging by the history presented in Evermeet, I'd say that Durothil was the first Elven Dragonslayer. Of course, we don't know about the exploits of Ka'Narlist, and his people. So, theoretically, they could hold the title.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  00:48:44  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Oh yeah Ed,

I just wanted to say. Castlemourn looks interesting. I wanna know more about the astronomy/astrology parts of the setting and the history seems very interesting. So, when is the main book coming out? :)

Yeah I know I had the players book since August, I've just been behind on reading RPG material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  01:18:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, I'll definitely agee with that! And on the astronomy/astrology parts as well. Great stuff! The historical section was probably may favorite however. I'd like to see this material expanded upon.

And for those of you who may be interested in Ed's new setting and have yet to check out the Player's Guide, you can find a free PDF download here:- http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12630

THO also shared a little about the setting here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7189

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  01:58:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. A response from Ed this time to Dargoth’s question: “Do the Lords of Waterdeep have an equivalent for Highknights or Purple Dragon Knights (the concept not the PrCs)?”
Ed replies:

The Lords all have their own personal agents (spies, bodyguards, and “active” agents, the latter being the James Bond-style diplomats, actors, killers, and undercover provocateurs, “dirty little task” doers, and information-gatherers that the Highknights are).
The “Castle” (Castle Waterdeep; reporting to the heads of the Guard and the Watch, and really run by such Lords as Mirt and Durnan) also has its own agents of the same sort. They don’t have ranks or titles, and are entirely unofficial, but a few are personally known to high-ranking Guard and Watch officers, and all are given pass-phrases and gestures to use for recognition purposes. Some are street urchins, some are arcane spellcasters, and quite a few are skilled, acrobatic thieves and “confidence men” (and women).
These shadowy groups are different than Force Grey/the Gray Hands, and vary widely in tactics and ethics (Piergeiron runs a far more “good,” non-brutal force than certain other Lords do), and yes, they wouldn’t easily translate into a Prestige Class. Aside from Madeiron Sunderstone (Piergeiron’s Champion and bodyguard) and the few skilled sword-wielders he trains as his replacements, however, the Lords have no near equivalent to the Purple Dragon Knights.

So saith Ed, who created Piergeiron, Madeiron, the Guard, the Watch, the Lords, Castle Waterdeep, Highknights, the Purple Dragons, and oh, yes, Waterdeep and Cormyr. Busy lad.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000