Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  16:59:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Let me preface this with: Ed doesn't have to answer this if he doesn't want to. I know the last time I brought up a topic related to this, it wasn't something he really wanted to answer. :)

Ed,

This comment from THO to me back in 2004 has caused some heated dislike on the WOTC boards because people feel that it's not "fair" to those who wield spellfire that they can't absorb Shadow Weave based magics and so I was wondering, via a lore stand point, if you could expand on why spellfire wouldn't be able to absorb Shadow Weave based magics.

The comment was: November 24, 2004, "kuje31, Ed wanted me to reiterate that he’s not the right person to ask about official 3.5e games rules questions (he’d refer this one to Rich Baker), but if this arose in a situation where he was DM, Ed would not allow access to both Shadow Weave and Weave-based effects (including spellfire). In his words, that’s like the ‘greedy-greedy’ space soldier who wants to fire a matter-ray and an anti-matter ray at the same time. Nuh-uh."

Also, some people feel that comment really isn't an "answer" to use when someone asks for lore on if a spellfire wielder can or can't absorb Shadow Weave magics. How those posters believe that, I'm not sure since it seems clear, in that comment, that you wouldn't allow a spellfire wielder to absorb Shadow Weave based magics, but er, they claim that isn't what you meant. :)

I keep getting thrown references about Evereska's Mythal and how the two Weaves interact in that Mythal and they claim that magic is magic and that the two Weaves should be able to interact with Spellfire and so they are claiming that you don't know what you are talking about when that above quote was posted.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Feb 2006 02:50:51
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  20:34:55  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karth

quote:
So saith Ed. Who can now obviously add dunghandler to his resumé, if he’s minded to. Or not, as the case may be.

Outstanding. Question answered and then some, as usual. Many thanks, Ed and THO, both.

I'll torture my players accordingly.

In the privy, no one can hear you scream....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
this is a question for ed:
the netheril mountains in one of the 2e moduals if I remember ight it's the volo's guild to the north or the north.
here's the question, one of the two mention the dwarfs tombs where the dwarfs kings and queens are buried. It also hints towards the dwarfs having some wizards buried in the tombs also.
Is anything coming out to readdress the netheril mounftains dwarfs tombs, and is there more explanation's coming from the wotc about the tombs
just would like to know since the tombs are hinted to be delzone tombs.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  02:58:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

I saw this on the WOTC boards.

selunatic2397 said, "I always tell the local dm's in my town that the constant creation of new names is the hardest part of my job. I am in a constant state of awe regarding the ability of Ed Greeenwood to literally pour out new names in a tsunami-like torrent and to always have them fit the situatuation and locale seamlessly [Kuje if you are reading this please pass my kudos to Ed for me and I will be eternally gratefull]"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  03:02:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes of the Realms. (Thanks for the messages, Kuje; I'll pass them on.) This time around, Ed tackles Sanishiver’s question about overflowing magic: “Suppose an area just north of Suzail (say a half-day’s ride) were to become so overripe with heavy magic that the magic burst forth from its containment into the weave and spilled outward in all directions for several miles, inundating everything in that area with so much magical energy that magic items glowed and became warm (if not hot), hidden or ‘sleeping’ wards became visible and virtually every magical effect’s aura could be seen in the visible light spectrum, by mage and non-mage alike.
Now suppose this effect lasted a good tenday at least, to the point that charged items gained back a few previously spent charges, echoes of spell battles from the past could be heard (as well as the voices of the mages who participated in them), and old, forgotten, previously dispelled and/or nearly-spent wards/portals/magics were rejuvenated at least somewhat (where such wards might go as far back as the elves of the Wolf Woods who ruled before the first Obarskyr set foot in them).
Were such a thing to happen, what are some of the things you suppose might occur in Suzail, so far as men and magic are concerned?”
Ed replies:

Oooh, lovely.
Right: you’d have some spontaneous wild magic effects (discharges) from time to time, and as a result, swift action by the Purple Dragons, under the supervision of the War Wizards and upon the orders of Vangey or Caladnei (depending on who’s in charge of the Wizards of War in your campaign), backed up by whoever’s on the throne. They’ll be worried about Zhents, Red Wizards, or someone else magically powerful somehow harnessing these energies or doing something unintentional that spreads out of control, so they’ll be trying to keep unauthorized folk away from it.
In this, they’ll be completely successful when it comes to magically-adept beings (NOT normal folk carrying magic items), not because they have the power or competence to be, but because Mystra’s Chosen and lesser servants (spectral harpists and all of the others detailed in SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER) will be ‘on the job’ to back the War Wizards up (keeping themselves hidden from both the War Wizards and everyone else, as much as possible).
The exceptions, of course, will be Red Wizards, Zhents, and anyone else teleporting to known locations very close to the magic-strong area (INTO the magic-strong area will mean random “deflections” to anywhere embarrassing - - but unwarded - - in Cormyr you’d like such intrepid individuals to end up). Some battles would almost certainly erupt (again, the assistance of Mystra’s servants should determine decisively who ‘wins’).
I’d say every noble family interested in boldly sticking necks out in a bid for more power would send family members (with bodyguards, of course) riding to “go for a look-see,” using the excuse that they’re pledged to guard the security of the realm and MUST see what they’re up against, no matter what some officious War Wizard or Purple Dragon might say. Again, those who bring magic items along should have no difficulty in getting most of them recharged (exceptions governed by the specific nature of the item), and smart noble families will arrange loud attempted visits as diversions whilst the magic-item-carriers go alone, perhaps in guises of common folk with (normally) good reason to enter the magic-strong area.
Sages and mages desiring to legitimately study the magical phenomenon will naturally show up, just as swiftly as word spreads, and some of them will be dodderers and crazies, just as some of them will be cunning schemers seeking an advantage even if allied to no power group.
Mass arrivals in any place focus interest on that place, even after the reason has gone - - meaning, in this case, that after the magic-strong glows fade and the Weave is back to normal in the area, you’ll have a lot of interested-in-magic (or carrying-valuable-magic-items) people gathered in Cormyr, who may not all go away again soon, but tarry and try to explore the Forest Kingdom, and make trade deals or perform thefts or otherwise take advantage of their new surroundings. All in all, a superb campaign event, of the non-RSE, Bartholomew Cubbins things that “just happened to happen” and can be talked about for years afterward (and give your PCs, caught in the midst of it, years of headaches and leads and new foes, allies, or trade contacts, starting right now). Nice!

So saith Ed, sounding like the grinning-with-glee DM I know and love.
He’ll be back with another Realmslore reply on the morrow, all, so until then:
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  06:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Thank you Ed very much for your very useful reply and nice words! Thanks also to THO for forwarding messages to and fro for us all. Both your efforts are most appreciated.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  20:22:13  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message
Well met Lord Creator !

First of all I want to thank you for sharing that world of yours with us.
I have been riveted on the FR ever since I stumbled upon them by pure chance those years ago.

I would like to ask whether you care to elaborate on a very minor character in one of your novels (if that is a character of your creation which i assume).
That would be Mentor Wintercloak who does not appear but once (if I remember correctly) in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" (he assists in the creation of the Mythal but I bet that you can remember).
I am most eager for any pieces of your knowledge on him that you can offer.
All that I believe to know is that he was the teacher of Arun's son and that he was the secret mate of a elven wizard.
Thank you very much in advance.
You won't expect me to kiss your shoes now, will you ?

Edit: His current whereabouts are Unknown so I was wrong to state he was dead...

Farewell!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Edited by - At your Behest on 06 Feb 2006 09:33:55
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  01:28:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time out, Ed tackles createvmind’s query: “The Armand from MM3 is said to occupy Faerun within the Anarouch desert, my question is how would you depict them culturally, does a female have breast/multiple breast-teats and give birth to one offspring only. Would twins or triplets be considered good fortune within a tribe? And what names would they have within their own language and within common if their names were translatable. Would their vocal speech be high pitched or guttural, all these things I ask from what you see within your mindseye. Thank you.”
Ed speaks:

I see the Armand as few: three or four tribes at most, with no tribe having more than sixty individuals. They are well aware of the perils of the desert (from the Bedine and the other border-desert human tribes, through various desert monsters to the Shades and the Zhents) and keep a low profile, avoiding open strife with any armed, organized groups they see (move along rather than standing their ground, no raiding of caravans, et cetera). The Armand are hunter-gatherers (who set traps as well as pursue prey with spears and slung stones and clubs) AND maintain some wild “plantings” (olive and nut trees, grains). They have treasure gained from sand-swallowed Netherese cities (that desert storms uncover from time to time) and know the areas they range over very well (always knowing where the nearest cover or water or place they can dig down into, to REALLY hide, is). They can remain patiently motionless for hours, they don’t itch or sneeze, and their voices are soft (“burbling”) mucous-thick hissings that range in pitch about the same as human female voices (female and young armand have higher pitch, adult males have lower). The Armand have their own fragmentary tongue (about the same in extent and usage as Thieves’ Cant), but mainly speak Common, with a smooth, lilting, archaic accent.
Females have breasts (nipples unplated, the plates covering the rest of the breasts growing and ‘rising’ in shape as the breast tissue beneath them does), and have “finer” (narrower, more angular, and smaller) ears, snouts, and hands. Their plates are more often mauve, blue, or emerald green, whereas males more often have darker shades (dark brown or deep purple). [In other words, someone who knows how - - and of course all armand - - can easily tell males and females apart, but genders aren’t obvious at a glance to someone who doesn’t know the differences.] The harsh desert conditions make single births per season the norm, and if food and water becomes scarce or winter cold comes down, a female’s body automatically ‘suspends’ the growth of a fertilized egg at any stage, within her, without aborting or developing the unborn farther. At puberty, females are very fertile, but after their first childbearing, they grow less and less so - - because unlike human females, an armand ‘she’ won’t conceive a subsequent time until her body is completely physically recovered from a birth (in other words, many armand females can’t become pregnant again for as many as three years after giving birth). Triplets would be almost unheard-of, and twins considered a sign of divine favor upon the family, obligating the entire tribe to closely assist in rearing and tending both of the twins.
Armand are naturally curious (lifelong, they seek to “experience everything”) but they aren’t naive innocents, easily tricked or lured into being captured, slain, or even readily attacked. They WILL accompany humans they befriend and trust out of the desert (away from their families) to experience things, and if possible return to share stories of all they’ve seen with their tribe. The tribes DON’T fight among themselves or even have rivalries, and all call themselves “urr” (which means “us”) rather than having distinctive names (they call the other tribes names like “daen-Urroe,” which means “them-[once] led-by-[a warden named] Urroe,” “daen” being them; “daerr” means not-armand, and is their deadliest insult when said of each other). Armand are slow to anger and don’t hold grudges, tending to share property and be physically affectionate within their tribe, not just strictly with mates.
Their names don’t have literal meanings in Common, but are based on the sounds they most often used when very young (the parents adopt a common name closest to a favourite sound their youngling uses or responds to), with family names based on the names of family founders (typical family names: Burlurr, Laeren, Murrnarr, Urrlan).
A few common male names: Brurl, Durl, Eskyss, Forl, Hooud, Iysskurr, Jhasskurr, Murrep, Norl, Orroe, Resskurr, Urroe, Zorrusk.
A few common female names: Baerra, Doolaerra, Evdarr, Faen, Haela, Imriss, Javaen, Maerl, Noovae, Ohhnd, Raeza, Uoumraa, Zauvae.
[Note the letters names do NOT begin with; these are the sounds not often found in armand speech.]
All of this is, of course, just the way I see them.

So saith Ed. Expert on all sorts of odd things, by now, and possessor of a beard that regularly has really small children calling him “Santa” in supermarkets and stores.
Failing extreme mischance, he’ll be back with more Realmslore tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  02:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Ed with regard to adding "Planar or Draconic Blood to a mortal

I was wonder if Ed could detail any spells/Rituals that would allow a mortal Character/NPC to add the Half Dragon/fiend/elemental/celestial etc tempaltes without being born with them.

There are several FR NPCs that have gained these templates eithout being born with the templates.

Vargo Kent from CoR gained the half Black Dragon template

Sun Elves from the Daemonfey gained the Half Fiend Template

A certain character from a recent FR novel has likely gained the Half Celestial template

Thanks in advance!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  09:58:10  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Dear Ed,

I have a question for you - are there any "Bandit Lords" active in the Western Heartlands ?? By this term I mean warlords who possess a title (baron, count, etc.) and command their own bands or even small armies and indulge in waylaying caravans ?? If yes, could you give me some samples of such individuals ?? I'd be very, very grateful to you for an answer

Thanks

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Another question offered at the feet of the master:

In the Silver Marches book, there is mention of a "tentacled --thing--" in the middle of the Fallen Lands that is capable of pulling down a dragon flying overhead. Any chance of more information on just what this 'thing' is?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  16:37:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

Another question offered at the feet of the master:

In the Silver Marches book, there is mention of a "tentacled --thing--" in the middle of the Fallen Lands that is capable of pulling down a dragon flying overhead. Any chance of more information on just what this 'thing' is?

This has been asked about last year. :) It's still in the to be answered list. :)

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  18:53:02  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you so much, that was great feedback and beyond my expectations sir. Now I hope to do them proper justice in my depiction of them.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  02:06:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. To createvmind, Ed says:

My pleasure. You're quite welcome, and glad to be of help.

And then Ed answers Aquanova’s question: “. . . are you currently planning a Telflamm version of the Uthmere series (or just one article) for WotC, or further magnification and detailing the Shadowmasters and their current state of affairs or the sinister and crime-filled world they dwell wherein?”
Ed replies:

At the moment, I’m not planning any Telflamm or Shadowmasters coverage soon, in part because of NDAs. I direct you to the superb Telflamm piece by Realms loremaster George Krashos in one of the Candlekeep Compendia. That’s not to say that I don’t have unpublished lore, and as-yet-unrevealed plans, regarding Telflamm, mind you. :}

So saith Ed (chuckling mysteriously, by the sounds of that last sentence).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  05:22:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I direct you to the superb Telflamm piece by Realms loremaster George Krashos in one of the Candlekeep Compendia.
That would be Volume I, my lady .

Aquanova... see my sig for the link to the Compendiums here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  07:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
Greetings. I would like to know if Ed could give us any information regarding the lineage of Obarskyr royals from the past. ANY INFO - dates of rule, the order of rulership, to whom they may have married, or any cool stories that he would like to share, would be greatly appreciated. Cormyr is a very big part of our gaming group, and little details regarding the past kings and queens would be a worthwhile addition to our game.

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  08:11:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nevorick

Greetings. I would like to know if Ed could give us any information regarding the lineage of Obarskyr royals from the past. ANY INFO - dates of rule, the order of rulership, to whom they may have married, or any cool stories that he would like to share, would be greatly appreciated. Cormyr is a very big part of our gaming group, and little details regarding the past kings and queens would be a worthwhile addition to our game.

A wonderful question that I'd love to see answered myself. Alas, I fear the fat lady known as NDA is already waiting in the wings to warble regarding this subject matter.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  12:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nevorick

Well met!

Have you read Cormyr: A Novel? It is filled with such stories from Cormyr's past. Not only does it give loads and loads of great details about the Forest Kingdom, it is also among the top five books that I have ever read

Also, I think there is a list of all the Cormyr's kings and queens here at Candlekeep (now, where did I put that scroll that Vangy sent me?)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
I am familiar with the Lineage of Kings that Ed and Grant Christie put forth several years ago. It gives the names of the Obarskyr rulers of Cormyr, but little else. From my comparisons to the novels and what other source material out there, the lineage does not seem to even list the rulers in order of sucession.
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2765
Here is a link where it was briefly discussed.

I thought the question worth asking even if it is likely that NDA will prevent Ed from answering, because maybe he can, and that is worth it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  15:42:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I’m afraid SiriusBlack is quite correct.
Years ago, Ed drafted a huge document detailing the Royal Lineage of Cormyr, which scribes such as Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Grant Christie, Tom Costa, Bryon Wischstadt, and Garen Thal (among others) have checked, re-checked, amended, gone over again, revised over again, and so on. It was never officially published, and if it has leaked out, you can only be looking at an early, fragmentary version.
From Ed’s point of view, that large and vital scroll is now NDA, being as WotC specifically asked for it (again) more than a year ago. I wish (oh, how I wish) it could be published for all. The depth of detail now woven into it is simply . . . awesome.
Cormyr is where we Knights first assembled and began our adventures, too, and I ache at how much Cormyr lore Ed’s spun over the years that has never been published (small stuff, like flows of goods through Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel, and what it’s like to live in those places, or Immersea, or Espar, not wars and the endless noble intrigues). At one point, Ed started in on the lineages of the nobility, too, but had to leave off work purely because of time constraints.
Hopefully, one day, we’ll all see a [NDA].
In the meantime, I’ll whisper in Ed’s ear (using a lot of tongue, of course) to see if there’s a tidbit or two Cormyrean that he could toss your way. (And as Asgetrion says, CORYMR: A NOVEL is a good light overview of the “feel” of the “passing parade” of royalty in Cormyr.) Perhaps if you ask a series of small, specific questions (about individual rulers, say, or a specific year), Ed could sneak forth some small, specific answers . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2006 15:48:23
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  22:53:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
THO has it right as always, the Cormyr Lineage exists in exacting detail and has been in the hands of WotC for a year or so now. You must understand however that it is a nebulous document of sorts - because Ed keeps churning out the realmslore on Cormyr, and we "Keepers of the Lineage" (Garen Thal is its current custodian) are always playing catch up and Mr Fixit. You should have seen the scrambling that followed the publication of "Elminster's Daughter"! I very much hope that it will see the light of day and soon - it would make a splendid web enhancement for a "Cormyr: the Forest Kingdom" regional sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Feb 2006 22:54:44
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  01:14:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
George: HAH. Wait'll you see the scrambling that follows SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR!
Ahem. Hello again, all!
Ed forthwith tackles Kajehase’s queries: “Wonderful answer about the swordsmen Ed My heartfelt thanks to you for writing it, and to our dear Lady Hooded One for bringing it to us. I hope none of you mind if I come with a few follow up questions brought on by the details in Ed's reply:
How common are fencing-tournaments in the Realms (or other athletic competitions for that matter)?
Come to that, are there any recurring competitions - say an All-Dalelands competition held at each Shieldmeet? And how are athletes generally regarded by the general populace - adulated and adored, or seen as little better than travelling entertainers (assuming there are in fact people making a living by attending various competitions)? Oh, and how far up the list of fencers would my favourite Knight of Myth Drannor, Sharantyr, be, with no dirty tricks (like the baring of breasts) allowed? Upper half? Mid third?”
Ed replies:

As far up as her breasts could reach, of course.
Ahem. Belay that. Bad joke, sorry.
Seriously, now: Wrestling and archery tournaments are common at moots, markets, and festival-days (with dart-throwing and arm-wrestling being the everyday indoor tavern equivalents, joined by “shields” [“slideshields” in full, the Realms name for “shove ha’penny”] as the sole athletics in most taverns).
“Swordplay” (fencing) tourneys are rare in many places, thanks to either widespread dueling or prohibitions on dueling (it can be hard to convince the local Watch that you were just fencing, and not dueling, especially if someone gets wounded - - and if people bet on the fencing bouts, that’s often the root-of-evil the anti-dueling laws were put in place to stamp out. Jousting (for commoners, on their own nags and using padded-end “blodge-poles” to buffet each other and targets), and horse-archery (gallop and fire shafts through smallish holes at targets to one side of the rider) are far more common. There are always competitions of the latter two at Shieldmeets, and in some places “swordplay” too; winners are often given a prize of a fine sword - - and offered high pay (and what we would call a “signing bonus,” but in Faerûn goes by the name of “a champion’s cloak”) to enter the service of the competition sponsor as a bodyguard, armsmaster (trainer) or guard commander (the latter two professions applying in cases when temple high priests or local rulers are the sponsors).
However, fencing and knife-throwing EXHIBITIONS (like juggling and tightrope-walking) aren’t so rare.
Very few folk make a living from competitions, but many (like a travel carnival or “feast of wonders”) do so with traveling exhibitions. Athletes are respected for their skills (and may “win a warm night” with local lasses, either young and ardent or old and desperate), but not really “adulated or adored.” And yes, some of them are travelling entertainers and seen as such, though “travelling entertainer” is NOT a term of disparagement in the Realms.
Sharantyr is ‘bladeswift,’ lithe, and acrobatic, meaning that she wins most blade-contests by moving around quickly rather than with sheer precision of bladework. She can move her sword VERY quickly, but is already starting to lose that speed as she ages, and it will “fall off” quite quickly. So in daily swordfighting effectiveness she’s about a 7.7 on a “1-lowest, 10-highest” scale, but in terms of pure swordplay skill she’s only about a 6. If this rating seems harsh to you, compare it to my rankings on the same scale of an average well-trained soldier, fighting alone rather than in formation (daily effectiveness 4.5 and bladework 2.8), and an average militia member or merchant who’s taken blade lessons and practises briefly, every tenday or so (daily effectiveness 3 and bladework 2).

So saith Ed. Who for fun ranked me (with a sword) at daily effectiveness 6, and bladework 4. A ranking I’m very proud of, by the way. (And I’d put him at about d.a. 4 and bladework 3.5; his knees and weight have robbed him of much agility; when he was a teenager, and fenced regularly, Ed was probably about a d.a. 6.5 but bladework only 3.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  04:49:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Ummm, great!

I'm sure Ed gets great pleasure from our constant FR contortions when we reconcile his latest missives ... (I'll leave that one open for you, THO!)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  06:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A Question for Ed

I was wondering if you had any more infomation on the Thorp Noble family in Waterdeep particularly its surviving members: Hulmara, Hularneros Rhond (Where does the Rhond bit of his name come from), Khorom Thorp (Why has he been disowned), Lady Stelar Thorp Nasher.

Also what is the Thorp families relationship like with the other Noble houses?

Thanks in advance!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 06 Feb 2006 09:25:55
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  09:14:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Ahem. Hello again, all!
Ed forthwith tackles Kajehase’s queries: “Wonderful answer about the swordsmen Ed My heartfelt thanks to you for writing it, and to our dear Lady Hooded One for bringing it to us. I hope none of you mind if I come with a few follow up questions brought on by the details in Ed's reply:
How common are fencing-tournaments in the Realms (or other athletic competitions for that matter)?
Come to that, are there any recurring competitions - say an All-Dalelands competition held at each Shieldmeet? And how are athletes generally regarded by the general populace - adulated and adored, or seen as little better than travelling entertainers (assuming there are in fact people making a living by attending various competitions)? Oh, and how far up the list of fencers would my favourite Knight of Myth Drannor, Sharantyr, be, with no dirty tricks (like the baring of breasts) allowed? Upper half? Mid third?”
Ed replies:

/snip

So saith Ed. Who for fun ranked me (with a sword) at daily effectiveness 6, and bladework 4. A ranking I’m very proud of, by the way. (And I’d put him at about d.a. 4 and bladework 3.5; his knees and weight have robbed him of much agility; when he was a teenager, and fenced regularly, Ed was probably about a d.a. 6.5 but bladework only 3.)
love to all,
THO

Mange takk (with reservations for the spelling) as my neighbours to the south would say, sayeth Kajehase who'd probably be a 1 on both unless the blades were replaced with long, thin, wooden sticks in which case I'd get an effectiveness of 2

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 06 Feb 2006 09:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  14:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I very much hope that it will see the light of day and soon - it would make a splendid web enhancement for a "Cormyr: the Forest Kingdom" regional sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

Uhhh... Did you just use the magical words: "regional sourcebook"?

Edited by - Verghityax on 06 Feb 2006 14:11:24
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  17:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
Lady Herald, I will take thy advice and ask for small kernels of knowledge from the Sage, Ed.
After thy whispers, what can Ed say on the Cormyrian Kings, Belmuth and Arathra?

Yours most respectfully,

Nevorick

Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  18:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Question to ed about the harpells.
is more information going to put out about them and thier castle, and thier family heiratage.
Bidderdo and the rest of the family would be good to know all the children and grandchieldren.
I did like Bidderdo he was to be a written kind of a fun character in the books.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  22:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Question to ed about the harpells.
is more information going to put out about them and thier castle, and thier family heiratage.
Bidderdo and the rest of the family would be good to know all the children and grandchieldren.
I did like Bidderdo he was to be a written kind of a fun character in the books.

And I'm still interested in the sort of music the household orchestra plays and who their composer is.....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

yrch
Acolyte

Yugoslavia
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  00:43:39  Show Profile  Visit yrch's Homepage Send yrch a Private Message
Greetings to all visitors of this library. I have a couple of questions for Ed, but I would welcome any answer or suggestion from other sages...
I'm starting a Marsember-based campaign. Ed's list of Marsember buildings, islands (isles as he said) and streets is fantastic, but since I don't have Marsember map from Dungeon, I couldn't reconstruct original map from Volo's guide (pdf format, map is nearly unreadable). I would ask Ed if he can describe the locations (like he did with 13. Chalanther House or 18. The Net of Pearls) of temple to Waukeen {15. Faircoins Moneychanger (moneylending, moneychanging, and contract-witnessing business, and shrine to Waukeen)}, 30. The Drowned Sailors Society (club), and cemetery(it wasn't mentioned in "Marsember,mended", and I don't know where to locate it ). Purpose of the Lightless Lamp is also a mistery to me, some kind of explanation would be great. Thanks:-)

Minsc:"We are all heroes, you and Boo and I...Hamsters and rangers everywhere, REJOICE, REJOICE!!!!!"
Boo:"skweek, skweeeek, skweek"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000