Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  00:38:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Oh Great Greenwood, I have a new query for you. An old Dragon Magazine (I was told about it, and actually don't own the issue myself) mentions that the deity of Snow Elves is worshipped in the Realms, and that there may or may not be Snow Elves in the upper reaches of the Anauroch, and points north. Can you shed any light on this matter?

I found an article on snow elves in Dragon 155... 'Tis called "In the Ice and the Snow", and is by David S. Reimer. A quick scan of the article doesn't show any Realms connection; they are described as a Greyhawk race. Their deity is Tarsellis Meunniduin, but that's not a name I recall ever seeing elsewhere. Admittedly, it's been a while since I perused the Anauroch tome. I'll dig that out in a minute.

Tarsellis was also detailed in Chris Perry's "The Seldarine Revisited" article for DRAGON #236.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Dec 2006 04:02:10
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  11:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui!

While calmly waiting on the delivery of the scroll on drow cities and drow population, I was made aware of some other knowledge-seeking petitioners ... over at the Wizardboards. They were trying to get an answer to what "Bregan D'aerthe" might mean, so far without success. As Ed worked alongside Menzoberranzan-scribe R.A. Salvatore, could it be that he has any knowledge about the meaning of the name of the mercenary band?

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 06 Dec 2006 11:13:14
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  21:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed answers Skeptic, in the matter of something Ed said in these threads back in 2004: [[[It's very important that gamers not follow their real-world (usually monotheistic) thinking when considering Faerunian situations: the Realms is pantheistic, and "everyone knows" ALL the gods (at least of one's own race) "really exist." Unlike our real world, there's no denying that the folk praying to another god next door aren't just as correct as "we" are, because often "we" will also be praying to that other deity soon (if only for appeasement). The faith lies in believing this or that personal, dream-vision-induced, or priestly interpretation of the deity's will or intentions or prohibitions, not in believing the god exists.]]

(snip)

Well met!

I've been doing much reading in Deities & Demigods, Faiths & Avatars, etc. recently and a question occured to me which this is as good a post as any to spin it off from, especially since someone asked about the three humans who (mostly) supplanted Jergal:

Have any Torilian mortals ever left Realmspace, journeyed to other crystal spheres or planes, become "gods" there, and then returned as gods to Toril?

I note that of the current batch of "human" deities, the ones with the most character class levels have all ascended from humanity to divinty on Faerun itself (i.e., Bane, Mystra, Cyric, and Kelemvor, each of whom has more character levels than Chauntea and Selune!). If some Torilian attained 60+ character levels on another world or plane and was acknowledged as a deity there (on Oerth, for example, where it seems a relatively easy thing to become a demigod), is it likely (and I seek your opinion as the DM of all Realms DMs) that Ao would permit that individual to reign as a deity on Toril? If yes, would he or she be considered as an "interloper" by most theologians?

Apropos of Jergal, is there something mentally/psychically taxing about divinity (or perhaps just the plane where the God of Death resides) which causes some to become fatigued and bored with their own godhood? It would seem ironic that one might struggle for decades (or centuries) to become a deity only to face millenia (or an eternity!) of ennui....

Inquiring Doctors of Divinity want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  06:21:22  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
I found an article on snow elves in Dragon 155... 'Tis called "In the Ice and the Snow", and is by David S. Reimer. A quick scan of the article doesn't show any Realms connection; they are described as a Greyhawk race. Their deity is Tarsellis Meunniduin, but that's not a name I recall ever seeing elsewhere. Admittedly, it's been a while since I perused the Anauroch tome. I'll dig that out in a minute.

-I did a quick search for 'Elf' in my Anauroch PDF, and I came up with no worthwhile matches (the only match to 'Elf' was for a Bedine word for 'Outsider'). There's nothing of any interest in Anauroch. Admittedly, I don't have the issue, so I don't know the exact details of what was said. Let me delve into my WotC account, and see if I can find the thread that it was mentioned in...

-The following can be found on page 16 of Dragon 236:

"Rumor has it that snow elves also exist on the far reaches of the Spine of the World or even the High Ice portion of Anauroch in Faerûn, though this is unproven."

-Also, Apparently, according to Tom Costa, Megwandir, an alias of Lolth's, was once once an evil Elven goddess who somehow tricked the Snow Elf deity, Tarsellis.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 07 Dec 2006 06:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  09:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage  Click to see Paj's MSN Messenger address Send Paj a Private Message
Good morning all.

As im sitting at work writing about the School football team I was curious if any of the races/kingdoms in Faerun have their own unique sports.

If so what are these sports and do they have teams/leagues or would it just be a leisure thing rather than a big focus?
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  14:09:36  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
If I may add my own question to Jamillo's:

Are the common folk of Faerun aware that some of their most powerful gods were originally mortal?

Edited by - RodOdom on 07 Dec 2006 14:10:00
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
And I have a question for Ed regarding Cormyr, and the next two Knights books. Specifically, how much lore is Ed planning to "sneak in" around the edges of the story?
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  18:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage  Click to see Besshalar's MSN Messenger address Send Besshalar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Stars

And I have a question for Ed regarding Cormyr, and the next two Knights books. Specifically, how much lore is Ed planning to "sneak in" around the edges of the story?

An unofficial guess: More than enough to have us hounding him for even more.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  15:46:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sorry I’ve been silent for a day or so; the site wouldn’t let me in (grrr). Herewith, the rest of Ed’s responses to Zandilar (double quotes are Z, double brackets are E):

[[Glad you liked ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER. Faraer has quite correctly pointed out my approach to Realms fiction: there are no major or minor characters, just ‘main’ characters in a book who get the most page space. This is part of my ongoing struggle, down the years, against the prevalent preferred editorial style of “keep the story VERY simple” to hammer home to even the casual reader how rich and large and broad in scope the Realms is (well beyond the field of view of any single novel, including whatever Ed book is in your hand), and to sprinkle in details that herald future books, in such a way that it’s not obvious to the reader until those later books come out (so the setting will seem alive, and not an otherwise lifeless stage that hosts a series of contrived literary ‘events’ and plots).
For obvious reasons, I can’t say anything about those future tomes . . .]]

“Basically I had a desire to see more of certain characters, and it seemed to me that they were cut down too far in favour of things that seemed inconsequental to me. Like those two smugglers, for example - they took up too much page space, when I actually wanted to see more of Narnra. For a book where she's the title character, the only thing we ever saw was her spending almost half the book running along the rooftops of Marsember, and then she seemed to hmmm.. be of less consequence than I was expecting given the title of the book.”

[[Very good point. I needed the two smugglers both for comic relief and to ground us, however briefly, in the stinking, down and dirty, everyday grime of criminal life in Marsember. The editors loved the comic relief and so kept more of them than the other scenes, when it came time to trim. My fault, not theirs, for overwriting. One of my essential points was to illustrate that in the Realms, low-powered characters ARE cogs in large, ruthlessly-grinding apparati, not unrealistically “champions and heroes out of nowhere,” and Narnra is an illustration of that. However, you’re right, after the trimming, she’s “barely there” in the latter three quarters of the book. Moreover, an important detail of her maturing and development was edited out of the end of the book, against my wishes.]]

“Ed quote: [[As for lack of detail, please tell me more, so I can avoid going too light on lore or in-passing description in future books.]] Well you're always saying that the editors cut out a lot of your words... It's hard for me to explain. Maybe once I've read the book a second time I'll have a better idea of what I'm trying to say here. (And I think there was a bit much of the "it just so happens that these bad people Narnra smashes in on ALSO happen to be involved in THIS plot with the creature that COINCIDENTALLY just so happens to be..." And yet she doesn't exert any influence herself on those situations... Ends up going out with a whimper without really doing much at all.)”

[[Very fair criticism: I DO love to do the ‘incredibly long arm of coincidence’ shtick far too much. The “ha ha, it just so happens” smartass narrator. I’ll try to cut this back in the Knights books. As for Narnra’s lack of influence and action, see my previous answer. Maybe, if I can liquor up a WotC editor enough, someone will someday let me write a “Narm meets Narnra” book, and if they’re the only heroes, we’ll HAVE to see them doing things and growing as characters and having impacts - - however, please note that I don’t intend to have every “good guy/gal” character be a Conanesque hero; I want weaklings, indecisive and shy types, too.]]

“On another issue of detail - I have to say that I admire your ability to write descriptive passages so lushly and with great attention to detail. It fits in seamlessly with the action that is going on... Some parts of Narnra's chase through Marsember are just breathtaking. If I could just fit half the descriptive detail into my own stories, I think I'd be doing very well indeed. My novel teacher, Delia Falconer, used to emphasise the inclusion of such detail to an extreme point, but she never gave us a good enough example of what she meant for me to truly understand what she was talking about - most of the stuff she showed us was overly full of detail, but you got the balance just right in Elminster's Daughter.”

[[Thanks. It’s ESSENTIAL to work in Realmslore - - after all, it’s the one thing I can trump other writers in doing, so if the editors put Ed Greenwood into the saddle for a Realms novel, I’d better deliver some Realmslore, yes? - - but doubly essential NOT to stop or seriously slow the action in doing so. As for non-Realmslore detail: if I don’t give it, you don’t get pulled into the scene so you fully see, smell, and feel the “you are there” experience - - and then I’m giving you a cartoon outline, not the full, rich action movie you are paying for (hey, if you live in Oz, you’re REALLY paying for it!).

“Ed quote: [[And as for Caladnei: when writing the outline for EL’S D, I noticed that the (very brief) notes I had for Caladnei from Rich Baker (her co-creator, I believe, along with Sean Reynolds) were at odds with Troy’s text, so I “checked in” for a definitive response from WotC, and got this: “As per her racial origins, should have dark hair, dark brown eyes, middling height, average build (not buxom, adventurer-active so not fat). Give her some unusual trait to suggest magic-wielding in her genes?”]] Hmm... Interesting. Caladnei is half Chondathan half Tumeri right? Is that middling height for those races, given they're both described as tall, or middling height for the average human of no specific origin? The 5'03" given to her in FRCS seems to be short, at least to me, especially for tall races.
Ed quote: [[Not wanting to have her skin glow with runes or anything that ‘obvious,’ I devised the shifting-in-hue eyes as that visible trait of aptitude for the Art.]] I definitely like her eyes as you described them.”

[[I’d say it’s probably middling height for an average human. With her height a given, I didn’t worry about it, but set out to build her character. Didn’t manage it enough in EL’S D or in my REALMS OF SHADOW short story, but when you put the two together, it’s a start. You can probably tell that I’d happily write a Cormyr novel every year, for about the next twenty years, as long as they let me also write a second Realms novel each year that wasn’t set in Cormyr, so I could tell all the other tales I want to tell. :} ]]

“Ed quote: [[Roedele Thornmantle, knighted by Azoun for her services to the Crown (some have cattily referred to these as “personal services,” but they seem to center around alley-fighting in rebellious Arabel, not anything romantic with the Purple Dragon), uses as her arms a circular white unicorn, head to the sinister, on a circular field of dark green bordered with white flames, and is a CG hf W9 who dwells in Suzail with her two lovers, the War Wizards Abrult Morglam (CG hm W6, darkly handsome, short, whittling wooden caricatures and dragons is his constant hobby) and Jakanna Bruen (NG hf W7, short-tempered, energetic, tanned, loves to climb trees and play pranks); the three are inseparable. Roedele’s known for a polite public manner that displays a very dry humour. [I don’t think TSR was ready to show the world two bisexual ladies in 1986].]] Not just bisexual, but a true triad if the two women are both bisexual... A full on polyamorous relationship. So I can see even more reason why they might not have appeared in print. Hard enough to get people to accept sexualities other than heterosexual, let alone true polyamory. Though I suppose if it was somehow presented as the two women being Abrult's wives it might have been marginally more acceptable to some, since polygamy has a long history... Particularly in the judeo-christian faith (though it has fallen out of favour in recent times... there are still some Mormons who practice polygamy, so I understand - not sure if there are any Jewish or Muslim sects that still practice it).”

[[I have heard that there are, but yes, I agree that it developed into a true triad, and that such a thing would have been verboten in TSR novels at the time, except as a very ‘hidden and inexplicit, in the background, buddy movie’ sort of way. I tend to be so matter-of-fact about such relationships that I’m often surprised, even after all this time, when editors gasp and say, “We can’t include THAT!” about various matters. After all, I work in a library in a town where two wrinkled and very ‘proper’ ladies in their eighties, unmarried and living together, can openly stand in the most public spot in the town library, as I, about a foot away from them, check out the library books they’ve chosen, and angrily tell a third lady that they’ve just driven all the way to Toronto and back, and their favourite shop in which to buy dildoes has closed down and gone! The general local attitude is “Live and let live” and “None of my business what X and Y do, so long as it don’t scare the horses,” but local attitudes in other locales around the world can, of course, be VERY different.]]

“Ed quote: [[So my “in game” explanation would have to be that Caladnei borrowed Roedele’s appearance when crafting the incantation for a spell that was probably also some sort of defensive mantle - - and that this borrowing may originally have been intended to conceal her own presence, so the Mage Royal could officially be elsewhere, and uninvolved. When the events related in THE SIEGE befell, Caladnei may have hastily cast this spell she’d developed, because she had need of its powers, and forgotten or not cared that it temporarily gave her the appearance of a fellow War Wizard. Or the spell may well have been one given her by Vangerdahast, that gives the caster someone else’s appearance, and he had set the ‘other’ to be Roedele (and Caladnei used the spell in hasty need, either not knowing it altered her appearance or not caring).]] Oooh that's an interesting explanation... Would Caladnei have got permission to use Roedele's appearance first? I know Vangerdahast might not have, but Caladnei seems to be a little more conciderate of other people and their feelings.”

[[I’d say she would have sought permission whenever possible, but in an emergency would have done what Vangey does: whatever’s necessary to achieve their goals, for the good of the realm. When push comes to shove . . . But otherwise, yes, Caladnei does want acceptance and agreement far more than Vangey, who’d long since decided scaring people into yielding to him was swifter, easier, and more gratifying (for him).]]

“Also, what do you see as the differences between Wizardry and Sorcery? If Caladnei can come up with mantles like that on her own, does that push other spells out of her "known spells" list? Or is it just something she scribed down on a scroll to use at a later date (reading it straight off the scroll)? Or is it just one more thing she's taught herself to do with magic (which would mean it would be on her list of "known spells" at the expense of another spell)? Sometimes the way you describe magic sounds to me a bit like psionics... This mind ream ability that mages (of both stripes) seem to have is definitely more psionic in appearance than magical since it doesn't seem to be a particular spell they cast, just something they do... Not sure if that's making much sense.
I guess it is diffcult taking into account the game mechanics when writing a novel... Which is why people always seem to have great trouble translating novel characters into game mechanics. According to FRCS, Caladnei has no mantle like spells or even polymorph like spells... And she's only just high enough in level to be able to cast teleport (and cone of cold, which is her other listed 5th level spell)... She just appears, in the novel, to be able to do a bit too much for her stats to truly be a reflection of her (things that can't just be explained away as magical items, since she doesn't appear to use any or read any scrolls).”

[[The problem here is that too much of my fiction has concerned Chosen of Mystra, or Shandril, who can “feel” the Weave and experiment with molding it to their will either out of long experience and understanding of it, or just sheer naive power. So what I’ve written tends to give a false impression.
Vangerdahast, as an -ahast wizard, and Elminster’s sometime apprentice, got some inkling of Elminster’s ‘creating spells’ approach, and full access to what his predecessors in the role achieved magically. Caladnei has that, too, but she’s like a bright, quick-witted kid who’s just inherited a huge library; she’s still racing around discovering what she now has. The mind-ream and -meld is part of the powers of her office, and note how vulnerable using it leaves her, and how much of her encounter with Narnra involves superb acting on her part.
In like manner, a lot of the spells she apparently calls out of thin air are powers of the office: Vangey handed her a lot of swift, often silent little spells that essentially awaken a magic item in a vault, somewhere in the kingdom, “fire” it, and translocate the magical effect from the vault to issue from her at a target she’s facing. Yes, we should cover this in game terms. No, the designers will always resist doing so, for two reasons: ties other fiction writers down to specifics, and some clever gamer will find all the loopholes and turn this into an “every time” D&D gamebreaker. Yet this IS the way I’ve considered a lot of wizards in the Realms, from before there was a D&D game (and why some lucky lout with a stick can’t just walk up and bludgeon a learned wizard to death that easily, after throwing stones at him from behind trees all afternoon, and getting him to waste all his spells at said trees): in his lair, with time to prepare, darn near EVERY wizard can call on a wand that’s hidden up on a shelf, or a ring still in a box under his pillow, to blast unwanted visitors. What he can’t do, except in rare cases of Chosen or being the Royal Magician of Cormyr, is stride around attacking others with all of the same prepared firepower. That’s why the Manshoons of this world, who can wave a hand and open a dozen gates all around a foe, with wands firing through each one, are truly to be feared.”

So saith Ed. Handing us all a stellar nugget of Realmslore at the end, there!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  05:36:20  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-I did a quick search for 'Elf' in my Anauroch PDF, and I came up with no worthwhile matches (the only match to 'Elf' was for a Bedine word for 'Outsider'). There's nothing of any interest in Anauroch. Admittedly, I don't have the issue, so I don't know the exact details of what was said. Let me delve into my WotC account, and see if I can find the thread that it was mentioned in...

-The following can be found on page 16 of Dragon 236:

"Rumor has it that snow elves also exist on the far reaches of the Spine of the World or even the High Ice portion of Anauroch in Faerûn, though this is unproven."

-Also, Apparently, according to Tom Costa, Megwandir, an alias of Lolth's in Realmspace, was once once an evil Elven goddess who somehow tricked the Snow Elf deity, Tarsellis.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Inwintersshadow
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  06:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Inwintersshadow's Homepage  Send Inwintersshadow a Yahoo! Message Send Inwintersshadow a Private Message
*A little question I put in the wrong topic post before*

Concerning:
Liera - Goddess of illusions, lies, intrigues, & deceptions

I'm working on a module* based around this goddess (yes I know she's "supposed" to be dead) and considering the brief bits of information I have it is going to be very tongue in cheek and "invent-as-I-go".

However,
since I wish to stay as canon as possible Is there any information other than what is in the deity books from 2nd and 3rd edition I can add to my stock of data about her and her worship/worshippers?

*This will be an online module written for the ALFA gaming community.

Thanks!

IWS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  08:14:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
You might want to take a look through On Hallowed Ground and Forgotten Realms Adventures. Both are other 2e sources for Leira.

Lost Empires of Faerun also.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  15:02:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed responds this time to Jamallo Kreen’s recent query: “Again, answers provoke more questions: are there any religions which flat-out deny the divinity of some other "deity"? For example, does the Church of Lathander flatly state that Orcus is not a deity, whether he can grant spells to his clerics or not? Perhaps a deeper question would be: are there "Powers" who are active on Faerun who do not have access to Cynosure because they aren't "real" gods? (My question doesn't take into account Cyric and Bane and Iyachtu and all of the troubles they have had with each others' "genuineness;" Cyric, we know, thinks that he is the only One True God, but Cyric ... has issues....)”
Ed replies:

There are no churches that as a whole, as a matter of doctrine, deny the divinity of any other deity. Individual priests, on rare occasions, have stated that this or that “Chosen” of another deity is in fact an ordinary mortal using magic to deceive, or that this or that act was not the work of a divine avatar (or direct divine intervention) but of some other force. Those who persist in such denials and denunciations run the risk of being deemed “insane” or blasphemous, because (again, he said rather wearily) “everyone knows” all the gods are real.
There are often disputes as to whether this or that happening is the work of deity A or deity B, but that’s a different matter.
There are many powerful beings native to Faerûn or “just visiting” who may be mistaken for gods, and those who pray to them may even be granted spells (by another deity, “standing behind” the supposed divine one for their own purposes). One of the ways dwindling faiths are renewed is by adopting charismatic new “powers” and co-opting their popularity and worshippers (the new power gains real power and a high rank in the church of the adopting deity, and the deity gains their service and the “glow” of their popularity).
Gods, powerful individuals, and “just plain folks” are all capable of deluding themselves and others on occasion, but such deceits are usually short-lived (except, of course, with Cyric as a prime example, the self-delusions of the insane).

So saith Ed. Creator of most of the gods, herald of many kingdoms, and chief bottle-washer and latrine-emptier of wider Faerûn.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29641 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  17:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My Lady, did you receive my reply (with a follow-up question or two) to your Dec. 5 email?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  18:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I'm months behind in my reading of this scroll, and rarely visit the Wizards site, so I don't often get to read "Waterdeep News." I must say, though, M'Lord of the Green Wood, that the 11/22/06 lore regarding "a certain gesture" (i.e. "hooking") was wonderful!

That is precisely the sort of small Realmslore which a DM can use to turn an ordinary D&D run into a truly memorable Realms-specific run.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, gentles! Ed answers createvmind this time, in the matter of: “Great lore which leads me to wonder in Faerun could one Nurue-like person have trained at a monastery in one place, spend years adventurering and then return to the monastic life style. Basically in Faerun could one be monk while young/orphan and not find it appealing then after adventuring say as ranger decide settle down and return to such monastic lifestyle. Does the Monk restriction in D&D overwrite realms living in preventing one from taking monk levels after cross-classing?”
Ed replies:

(snip)

Well met, M'Lord of the Green Wood and M'Lady Herald!

I have had a related question which Ed may well answer as he did this one, but I ask nonetheless:

When running the Realms is it "good practice" or "not-so-good practice" to allow core class Monks who are NOT lawful in alignment? If so, to what monastic orders would they likely belong in the known Realms? (I emphasize "core class" to distinguish such Monks and their special abilities from Shou Disciples and Monks of the Long Death, who do not have all of the abilities of a core class Monk.)

On Oerth there are two Neutral demigods who patronize the local unarmed martial art, and I can't see them requiring their devotees to have an alignment other than their own, but what's the situation on Toril?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  15:21:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again! This time Ed answers Bahgtru, re. this query: “Hello Ed. I just finished reading City of Splendors and loved it. I would love to see more of the character, Madieron Sunderstone. Do you think he wiill ever take a greater role in any future stories or game material? Thanks and Happy Holidays!”
Ed replies:

Glad you enjoyed it. I’d love to write more, but there are only so many hours in any day, and I’m heavily overloaded as it is. Madeiron Sunderstone is a long-neglected character whom I created back in 1968, as the Champion of the Open Lord (bodyguard), and I’d love a chance to tell more tales of his deeds and life. At the moment, however, there don’t seem to be any “soon” opportunities to do so, what with all the already-scheduled Realms projects on the go. However, please be aware that You Are Not Alone in wanting more of Madeiron. I’ll see what I can do . . .

So saith Ed, champion of the Champion of the Open Lord of Waterdeep. See his teeth gleam?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  19:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message
Well met Ed of the Green Wood and his faithful scribe and comrade in arms, the Hooded One.

I have been a fan of the Realms since the old grey box came out in the late 80's and i immediately shifted my campaign into Faerun.

My question is simply, "What is Ironfang Keep on the shores of the Moonsea and who lives there?" Ever since I first saw it oh-so-many years ago I have been facinated by it and the most I could ever find out about it were vague references to a cabal of powerful mages living there and any-who-enter-never-return type stuff.

I'm sure NDA's prevent anything from being said or else I've missed something posted earlier that would answer my question and that would be just my luck but nevertheless there it is.

-mythrainer

p.s. thank you for being here for us who still flounder through the wide and hypnotic world you've dreamed just for us.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  19:58:48  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mythrainer

Well met Ed of the Green Wood and his faithful scribe and comrade in arms, the Hooded One.

I have been a fan of the Realms since the old grey box came out in the late 80's and i immediately shifted my campaign into Faerun.

My question is simply, "What is Ironfang Keep on the shores of the Moonsea and who lives there?" Ever since I first saw it oh-so-many years ago I have been facinated by it and the most I could ever find out about it were vague references to a cabal of powerful mages living there and any-who-enter-never-return type stuff.

I'm sure NDA's prevent anything from being said or else I've missed something posted earlier that would answer my question and that would be just my luck but nevertheless there it is.

-mythrainer

p.s. thank you for being here for us who still flounder through the wide and hypnotic world you've dreamed just for us.

See Ed's March 15th and 16th 2004 replies about Ironfang Keep and the mages. :)

You can find them either in his scroll or in the compiled replies that I've created that have Indexes/ToC's, which are in my sig.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Seeker

29 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  20:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
quote:

Hi again! This time Ed answers Bahgtru, re. this query: “Hello Ed. I just finished reading City of Splendors and loved it. I would love to see more of the character, Madieron Sunderstone. Do you think he wiill ever take a greater role in any future stories or game material? Thanks and Happy Holidays!”
Ed replies:

Glad you enjoyed it. I’d love to write more, but there are only so many hours in any day, and I’m heavily overloaded as it is. Madeiron Sunderstone is a long-neglected character whom I created back in 1968, as the Champion of the Open Lord (bodyguard), and I’d love a chance to tell more tales of his deeds and life. At the moment, however, there don’t seem to be any “soon” opportunities to do so, what with all the already-scheduled Realms projects on the go. However, please be aware that You Are Not Alone in wanting more of Madeiron. I’ll see what I can do . . .

So saith Ed, champion of the Champion of the Open Lord of Waterdeep. See his teeth gleam?
love to all,
THO

Wow, 1968! I imagine there is some good material over the years then and I look forward to reading them in the future when the opportunity arises. Thanks for the answer and Happy Holdiays!
Go to Top of Page

Mythrainer
Acolyte

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Mythrainer's Homepage Send Mythrainer a Private Message
Since the reply to my first post was so quick I thought I would ask another question that has been in the back of my mind for 20 years or so, again to Ed of the Green Wood and his faithful scribe and comrade at arms Lady the Hooded One:

(this time I did a text search through the archives and could find nothing on this particular topic)

Who is Maskyr the namesake of the tiny village of Maskyr's Eye?

Have you ever thought more about his life and times other than his name and the village that keeps his name alive?

Has he a tower somewhere near the hamlet?

How long ago did he live?

Did he know, personally, the greats i.e. Elminster, Khelben, Ahghairon etc?

Was he instrumental in the founding of Maskyr's Eye as a village?

He has earlier been referred to as, "the archmage, Maskyr," was he someone to be reckoned with in the region i.e. known to outsiders and kept away from?

How did he die or is he dead at all?

Did he have apprentices (still living) or was he survived by any kin?

Any items or spells attibuted to him?

Do the people of the hamlet venerate him or hate him?

Does the town's export of quality horses have anything to do with him or what he did in the area?

I'm pretty sure you hate to commit to stats but what was his approximate level if you ever had such details in mind?

My apologies for the length question but I have only recently discovered this forum and please believe I am trying to limit my questions to the very few of the thousands that are clawing for release from my mind. :)

-mythrainer
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4715 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  23:02:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Maskyr's Eye was dealt with in Ed's "Everwinking Eye" Polyhedron magazine columns many moons ago. Some of this material was re-printed in the "City of Ravens Bluff" accessory IIRC.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  23:27:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Maskyr's Eye was dealt with in Ed's "Everwinking Eye" Polyhedron magazine columns many moons ago.
Specifically, issues #54, 55, 56, 57, and 58.

quote:
Some of this material was re-printed in the "City of Ravens Bluff" accessory IIRC.
Which is available as a free PDF download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  01:25:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed makes a proper response to Kaladorm, in the matter of this recent post: “Ed, Despite hardly knowing Pendelope, Starragers new lady friend in CoS, I felt a quite sad when she died. It seemed like an out of place feeling for a character who I knew hardly anything about, which leads me to believe that there must be more to her story than was told in the novel.
If I'm correct I'd very much like to hear some of that story.
Thanks”
Ed replies:

I would LOVE to tell some more tales of the lady, and will start looking for ways to weasel them into print. She’s a spitfire after my own, uh, heart. I had great fun with her, despite her all-too-tiny role (though, yes, I created her for the express purpose of having more “deaths of the good guys” to slam readers with). There are, however, more where she came from: wealthy, sophisticated, intelligent, strong-minded young women of Amn and points south that “wintering” Waterdhavian nobility come into contact with, and often take up with. I could see a novel starring a group of friends/rivals of such ilk, a sort of Sex & the City collides hard with Golden Girls. :} Hmmm . . .

So saith Ed. Uh-oh, Kaladorm, you’ve gotten him started!
In years to come, they’ll know who to blame, you know . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  02:01:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
My Lady Hooded One, I sent you an email on Friday which includes some follow-up points regarding a previous message sent to me from Ed that we'd discussed earlier this year (February, as I recall). I was just wondering whether you actually had some thoughts on this matter yourself, or whether you had possibly sent it along to Ed for future comment?

There's no hurry... since I'm also still waiting to hear from two other designers here at Candlekeep, that is, before I move ahead with my plans.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000