Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  15:24:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Rolindin, the Realms as you see them today are essentially Ed's, with the following differences:
Ed had a "western" continent, but not Maztica.
Ed's Moonshae Isles were a cluster of many small Hebrides-style islands.
Ed had a glacier where Vaasa and Damara and the Bloodstone Pass are.
Ed had steppes, but not the Hordelands.
Ed had no Shou Lung (overt Oriental area).
Ed had mysterious southern lands, but not Zakhara.
Many designers have locally detailed things (e.g. Menzoberranzan, in the Underdark) differently than Ed, but Ed has usually been called in to "Realmsify" things. In general, if it resembles real-world Earth history closely, it's not Ed's work.
However, almost all of the lands, cities, and place-names Realms fans are familiar with came from Ed.
Including Candlekeep.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  23:37:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Hola Ed and THO,

I hope you two and the rest of my fellow addicts here had a wonderful holiday.

Whilst I am awaiting a response from my earlier query I have yet
another to keep our benefactor of lore busy. How about some day to day details on life in Halruaa? What is life like for the average mage and or non caster in this nation? I'm dying to get a picture of what Ed sees as the norm here as far as the dress style, foods and drinks, social customs. ect. I own both coppies of The Shinging South and am left wanting much more hehe.

Thanks again or churning out the great lore.

As an afterthought...THO......I think it was in one of your 2004 posts you mentioned a full black body paint and white wig drow get-up you donned for a gaming session...did this include clothing as well, or just the black body paint /Gasp >=)?

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 26 Dec 2006 23:45:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  00:14:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Including Candlekeep.
love,
THO
Ed's a sneaky devil when he wants to be!

And we're always thankful for that particular creation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  01:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
This being a holiday season for a great many people (from more cultures and faiths than I can count), I am wondering how one would tell the difference between various tables on a given holiday. For example, what differentiates a Cormyrean table at the Feast of the Moon (or similar, Realms-wide celebration) from a Turmian or Rashemi one? What traditional foods might one expect? What rituals or other cultural conventions (who sits where, etc.)? Do the utensils vary? What might be considered rude or unseemly conversation at such tables?

The upper crust are just dying to know!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  01:17:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

For example, what differentiates a Cormyrean table at the Feast of the Moon (or similar, Realms-wide celebration) from a Turmian or Rashemi one?

Location.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  01:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles another question from RodOdom: “Dear Ed and Lady THO, Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our (merciless?) barrage of questions. Here's another for your consideration:
What's the geologic age of Toril? The earliest date mentioned in the Serpent Kingdoms sourcebook -35000 DR, the start of the Age of Thunder. Were there billions of years of unrecorded history before that period?”
Ed replies:

You’re very welcome. Whenever I have time to actually sit down and deal with e-mail, I love sharing Realmslore with everyone who’s become a fan of my world. Warm fuzzy pleasure for me, so thank YOU. As for the geological age of Toril, we don’t know for sure. However, I can say that the eldest elves and dragons who’ve considered the matter, and the best-informed human sages ditto, all tend to hold opinions that suggest Toril is twice as old as the Age of Thunder . . . or perhaps a LITTLE less.

So saith Ed. Hmm. That’s a LOT more Realmslore to write, big boy . . . you are planning to live forever, aren’t you?

(snip)

love to all,
THO

Well met, Ed and Lady Hooded One!

Approximately when in Toril's history did the big wreck of the Spellweaver node-pyramid empire occur? Dragon (or was it Dungeon?) gave us a pair of likely locations for Spellweaver ruins, but no suggested dates for them. Sooner or later I am going to get around to running the Age of Worms path, and the date of the collapse of the node empire and its mega- (giga-?)spell would be a significant bit of lore to know.

Thanks in advance....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  01:28:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I've been rereading Power of Faerun and wondering about artwork, specifically in the House of Firehair, but also throughout Faerun. But to give you a base to give specifics, could you give us some detailed lore about the art in the Hall of Beauty in the House of Firehair? Plus any other details about the museum in that temple.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Dec 2006 02:45:19
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith makes reply to MaskedOne’s recent “semi-related questions,” to whit: “What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?
What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”
Dagnirion posted a suggestion, but Ed’s reply differs:

Ascension to godhood under those circumstances would have stolen power from all of the gods (to achieve the ascension and make Karsus a god, and to give him divine power), in a surge that Mystril was very much afraid (and probably rightly) that Karsus would have been unable to handle, mentally and physically, so he’d have promptly been ruined and the magic would have “surged” back and forth around Toril, doing great damage and spawning many wild magic “storms.”
She was also afraid that if Karsus succeeded in any way (survived, no matter how damaged), all of the other Netherese archwizards would have tried it too - - and collectively torn the fabric of the Prime Material asunder, destroying Realmspace and everything in it, or at least twisting it beyond all recognition and smashing all life cycles and ecosystems, dooming uncounted millions of living things to slow extinction. And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

So saith Ed. Who after all, knows more about all of this than anyone else.
love to all,
THO

Dare I ask Ed to hypothesize on what might have occurred if the spell Karsus's Avatar had been attempted by someone who had more experience (like the 50+ character levels which some of the recently mortal deities have) and who was a bit less ... um ... psychotic?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  02:15:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Also,

I'm wondering about any other domesticated felines. I know there's the tressym but other then that, we don't know much about a lot of the animals in FR. Care to share any details about the smaller domesticated felines? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  02:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hail once again, fellow scribes of the Realms. Ed this time tackles RodOdom’s recent questions: “Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I must apologize for not thanking you both for the last few answers. I never take for granted what a privilege it is to be able to ask the creator of the Realms any question at all, and receive such generous, informative replies!
Have the sages and bards of the Realms heard of any romantic relationships between the civilized races and full-blooded orc or goblinkind? Of the perhaps thousands of such individuals out there, could a few of them come from, er, voluntary unions?”
I replied in the simple, unvarnished affirmative, and promised a more extensive reply from Ed. And here it is:

RodOdom, I echo dearest THO: you’re very welcome. I owe the life of the Realms (and certainly its continued existence as a published setting) to the love and attention of its fans, and intend to continue spinning lore for all of you as long as you want it. Now, I do have to eat, and the workload of paying writing jobs often forces me into short- (or even longer-) term hiatuses from lore-replying, but rest assured I’m not going to abandon the helm for good. Until death or mental incapacity stills my hands at the keyboard forever, that is.

(snip)

Dathanae Oumrau, a CG female human Wiz16 of Everlund (formerly of Neverwinter) ... and ... Aeriskul ....

(snip)

So saith Ed. In a VERY interesting and extensive answer. That for obvious reasons, would probably never appear in an official WotC Realms publication. As always: ask for Realmslore, and ye shall receive.
love to all,
THO

*sigh* How romantic!

Thank you, Ed, for a lovely story.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  02:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds swiftly to The Sage: “Now, recalling what few tidbits we've been told about "specific" chapbooks previously in the Realmslore, and through some of your earlier replies here at Candlekeep -- like the chapbooks dealing with social and court life in Suzail... I was wondering whether you could provide me with a brief synopsis of two-or-three other "city-specific" chapbooks that may be in circulation in two-or-three other well-populated cities throughout the Realms. In other words... chapbooks other than those that have already been mentioned both here and in existing Realmslore.”
Ed replies:

With pleasure! I can’t remember which of the many “city newspaper” -equivalent chapbooks (as opposed to broadsheets) I’ve mentioned in print, so I may occasionally duplicate something you’ve read elsewhere.

(snip)

So saith Ed, presenting another bright platter of Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO

Ed, do most broadsheets and chapbooks which are operated for profit make their "big" money on the sale of copies, or on the sale of advertising space? Do Realmsians even have the concept of selling advertising in a publication?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  02:39:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually Ed, I'd like to add on to Kuje's earlier question. About domesticated birds and bird types in the Realms.

I know you've shared a couple of tidbits regarding seabirds and the like in previous replies. And there's the odd reference to birds and various types scattered through the Realmslore. However I was just wondering what more you could tell us about domesticated birds and perhaps some of the various Realms-specific birds which live in either urban areas and/or wilderness regions?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  04:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually Ed, I'd like to add on to Kuje's earlier question. About domesticated birds and bird types in the Realms.

I know you've shared a couple of tidbits regarding seabirds and the like in previous replies. And there's the odd reference to birds and various types scattered through the Realmslore. However I was just wondering what more you could tell us about domesticated birds and perhaps some of the various Realms-specific birds which live in either urban areas and/or wilderness regions?

Heh... Well, now that it's come up, here's the bit of Realmslore I was asking the lovely Lady Hooded One if I could share.

quote:
(snip)the Realms has lyrewings and good old familiar nightingales as "beautiful singers" amongst birds.

(snip)

Hi, Wooly, here's a reply from Ed:

Hi, Wooly! Lyrewings haven't yet appeared in published Realmslore. They are long, slender, mist-gray birds with gray-blue wings and pinkish-gray underbellies, and they get their name for their calls, which sound like descending runs (slow chords) being played on a lyre. Very pleasant, laid-back melodic.
When these calls are answered by another lyrewing, a lyrewing switches from them into a liquid warbling that sounds like a high-pitched human or half-elven soprano singing wordlessly, in a liquid, always-have-breath-enough manner (think the female vocal from Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky" from the classic DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, only about an octave higher and with no rough or "panting" passages). Lyrewings are highly intelligent (and emotional), and can converse in this language for long stretches of communicating quite complex ideas, statements, arguments, and responses.
Sages know this, and have communicated it centuries ago to bards, wherefore bards see lyrewings as transformed human lovers, or able to witness human love and report or even advise humans on love, and so on (or at least, they depict lyrewings thus in many ballads and laments).
The approval or befriending of a lyrewing is said to betoken near-future success in love; meeting a sad lyrewing presages doom or bad times for one's relationship or lovers or loved ones, and so on.

Hope this helps.
Love,
THO

If I may append just a tiny bit to Sage's question, where in the Realms are lyrewings found?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  14:48:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all! This time Ed tackles a “short and sweet” question, this time from Blueblade: “In Cormyr, do Blue Dragons wear uniforms or badges that are blue?”
Ed replies:

They wear blue shoulder-flashes and forearm badges of a rich, “royal blue” hue, yes. Their dress uniforms are standard Purple Dragon uniform tunics, with the additional adornment of a royal blue sash (left shoulder to right hip). The flashes and badges denote rank by their shape, but in the dress uniform the sash is identical for all ranks; a pin on it denotes the specific rank of the wearer.

So saith Ed. Hmm, these quickie questions are fun. Bring ’em on!
P.S. AlorinDawn, no garments. Just a little shaving of the body, here and there. Oh, wait, I almost told you a falsehood: I WAS wearing one of those lovely assemblages Ed bought me at a GenCon: a finger ring attached by fine chain to an ornamental be-gemmed plate that lies upon the back of the hand, and is in turn connected by fine chain to a bracelet worn above it on the forearm. Oh, and I was also wearing a ribbon choker about the throat, and a jeweled anklet. And a smile as catlike as I could make it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you once more the words of Ed (who is up before his visiting family for once, and trying to make up for missing sending me an answer on Christmas Day, he tells me), specifically a response to another of Blueblade’s short-n-sweet questions: “If Dove or Laeral walked up to the gates of Silverymoon, or along its streets, would she be recognized by the general populace?”
Ed replies:

By the general populace, probably not. About one in every sixteen longtime inhabitants of Silverymoon would recognize Dove as someone they’d seen “in town” before, but it’d probably be one in thirty-eight or forty who knew who she was. For Laeral, about one in two hundred would recognize her from having seen her before, and one in four hundred and sixty or so who would know who she was, on sight (most of them being individuals who’d visited Waterdeep often, or who have come from Waterdeep).
Of the Seven (not including Alustriel, of course) Storm’s the best known in Silverymoon, Dove next, and the rest of the Seven are far less known (The Simbul actually visits the city the most, but rarely in her own shape).

So saith Ed. Short question, not so short (but, hey, definitive!) answer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  18:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
THO's lovely post put me in mind of another query: what is fashionable, as of "right now," jewelry for MALES in the Heartlands (including the Dragonreach region) and the Sword Coast?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  18:59:19  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Here's a quickie question:

What years were Ulgoth the pirate active? What was the year of his demise at Ulgoth's Beard?

Also, had Stormkeep been built yet by Ulgoth's time?

Edited by - RodOdom on 27 Dec 2006 19:23:49
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  19:48:58  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Lady THO's recent mention of shaving awakened a question of mine own: let us assume my male Realms character in Cormyr or Waterdeep or Silverymoon or Athkatla wants to shave (my face and chin, he added hastily). How?
As in: how often, when habitually done in the day, with what implements and substances, do I do myself or visit a barbershop, or - - -? Any details Ed can invent or share.
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  20:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Another lore question for Ed:
Your novels seem to feature cabals and hidden "power groups" far more than game Realmslore (where other designers always jump in to give us names for groups of villains, sometimes with ranks, org charts, and even [yukk!] prestige classes). So I was hoping . . . if you could give us some details of a few local cabals/alliances/intrigues in Suzail, circa "current Realms time." Please!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  21:01:47  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Yet another Loudwater inquiry that might be answerable without causing issues with the LGR RPGA campaign.

While my Loudwater, and lower Delimbiyr region has taken a rather different turn than published Realms material I would LOVE to know if you would tell us about any local holidays and customs of Loudwater so I might make my rendition a bit richer and fun for my players. Any input on what elven traditions are still a part of this community would be welcomed as well.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 27 Dec 2006 21:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

“In Cormyr, do Blue Dragons wear uniforms or badges that are blue?”

Blueblade, what/who in sweet Faerûn are Blue Dragons?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

“In Cormyr, do Blue Dragons wear uniforms or badges that are blue?”

Blueblade, what/who in sweet Faerûn are Blue Dragons?

Im pretty sure there Cormyrs Marines

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
The Blue Dragons are members of Cormyr's Imperial Navy (a rather swollen name for such a small force)--Purple Dragons who staff the Forest Kingdom's ships of war and certain port/harbor locations. They are known as Blue Dragons both in recognition of their distinctive garb (the aforementioned blue sashes, bracers, and shoulder flash), and their specific role within the armed forces of Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:31:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There's also a few tidbits about the Blue Dragons in the Sea of Fallen Stars tome.

Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  01:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Thank you Hooded one for that short answer on the things made by Mr5. Greenwood.

Mr Greenwood could you please answer or think about my earler question I asked months ago.
The queston was about the Delzone Kings and Queens tombs in the Neither mountains.
I know that the North where the information is found says that the Delzone wizards Kings and queens are buried there and that all the traps ans magical proctections might still be in place.

My question is (since the 2ed D&D didn't allow for dwarfs to be wizards and such.), Did the Delzone dwarfs learn magic from the netheril (their trading partners). Or is the "wizard" refered too, dwarven magic earth magic or netheril learned magic.

Maybe just a little ideal of how the delzone dwarfs would have layed out the tombs of the "wizards" kings and queens, if you would please.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  01:27:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Thank you Hooded one for that short answer on the things made by Mr5. Greenwood.

Mr Greenwood could you please answer or think about my earler question I asked months ago.

Let me say it again,

People have to have patience. Ed will answer, hopefully, all our questions but ya'll have to wait. Some of us have questions that haven't been answered going all the way back to 2004 and 2005. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:06:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. I bring you Ed’s answers once more, specifically to Malcolm’s request: “Dear Ed and THO, how good is "intelligence" in Athkatla, in Amn? If someone is caught cheating as a merchant in Waterdeep, how soon and how widely do average street merchants and shopkeepers in Athkatla hear about it?
P.S. When are we ever going to see your second City of the Realms in DRAGON?”
Ed replies:

As for the city: I don’t know; that’s up to the good folks at DRAGON. They’ve had it all for months now (the maps, being physically mailed, had to follow the e-mailed text), but the mag only has so many pages, and at times there’s lots of worthy stuff competing for them. I know the Cities were originally announced as a new column, but it’s my own busy schedule that torpedoed my sending them a swift and steady flow of articles, not anything DRAGON staffers did.
Now, as for how good the grapevine is, inbound to Athkatla; it depends on where events occurred. If in Amn or Waterdeep, fairly good. If elsewhere, only the most powerful merchants (who can call on established networks of spies and “sources”) have any hope of hearing the truth in a timely fashion - - and they certainly don’t share what they learn with the “merchant in the street,” unless they want to sway his opinion. Said merchants are very cynical because they hear slanted or outright invented propaganda so often, and therefore tend NOT to believe what they hear except from caravan masters and travelling traders they personally trust.
All of which means a cheater in Waterdeep won’t be heard about for an entire season (summer to the next summer) by an “average” street merchant, except in cases of wild news that sweeps Athkatla as gossip (princesses kidnapped, dragons pouncing on nobles in their gardens, multiple murders - - that sort of dramatic thing). Everyone sells information in Athkatla if they can, but the only reliable sellers-of-lore your average merchant can afford and access tend to be higher-ranking merchants in costers. (Wizards can be an exception, because spells and crystal balls can communicate quickly across long distances - - but wizards tend to be secretive and not communicate often with rivals.)
So in general, if Ralthuk the dealer in hides and monster organs and relics swindles someone in Waterdeep AND the ruse is promptly AND dramatically uncovered, word of it will usually reach Athkatla the next year. If Ralthuk’s ruse causes a guild battle or involves a Lord of Waterdeep or a noble, or gets someone dramatically murdered, word might filter down to Athkatla’s streets in a month and a half, or a little longer.

So saith Ed. This is fun! Good query!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:15:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I forgot to post this lately but I've been thinking about dragons, specifically critters that might be connected with dragons. I know, I posted a lot of questions these past few weeks but these things have been on my mind.

Anyhow, I was curious if there are any organisms that feed off of dragons and vice versa. Dragons sleep for so long and so I thought there might be some organisms that might have been made magically or what-have-you that would feed on dragons as they sleep while keeping dragons healthy, etc.

If that makes sense. :)

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Sorta/Basically like those fishes that follow/attach to Whales and Sharks?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:43:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Sorta/Basically like those fishes that follow/attach to Whales and Sharks?

Yeah, or the other things that have a symbotic relationship with other animals/critters. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Dec 2006 02:44:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000