Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  06:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
aww!
I was negative 7 what nonexistent memories of those days I have.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  11:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met once again, Milady and Ed!

I was wondering about Ed's notes on Netheril. I seem to recall that Master Greenwood has said on many occasions that his and TSR's portrayal of this mighty empire are vastly different. Hopefully Ed could tell us more about Netheril as he originally planned it - its architecture, people, customs, magic, and organizations. Of course, there have been many tidbits and details he has shown us in novels, sourcebooks and Realmslore colums, but I suspect that these have been at least somewhat influenced by TSR's "canon" Netheril (to keep everything "consistent ;).

Thank you for your patience and marvelous work! :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:11:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Another question for Ed that was floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by ErikKRod

Mr. Greenwood,

I was just wondering what the original story was behind the destruction of Sessrendale? Who was the Dusk Lord? Was he evil? Why did Archendale really attack and help destroy it's neighbor? Are there any surviving descendants that can claim title or rulership to the fallen dale?

Thank you for your time,

Eric in Vegas

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  00:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Many thanks for the reply. It's interesting how vague wording can be interpreted differerntly. In my Knights sentence, I was trying to generalize between the Knights adventuring band, and other bands out there that might not survive. But I didn't write clearly enough, and instead get something completely different and unexpectedly great in the second half of the response. Thanks again.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  01:43:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles one of two queries Kajehase asked in the same post (the other Ed will get to on another occasion): “1. Continuing my (or Ed's, really) exploration of the Chondathan language, would it be possible to get the Chondathan names of the various noble titles used in Cormyr (along with the English word they most closely equate to)?”
Scribe Jerryd, this peripherally touches on your current query about Cormyrean titles, too.
Ed replies:

Certainly it would be possible.
I’ll even do it. :}
A list follows, with each entry taking this sequence: Common Tongue title (with usage notes, if applicable), Chondathan word, pronunciation (only if possibly confusing)

King: Astrel (“Az-TRELL”)
Queen: Arauna (“Arr-AWN-ah”)
Prince: Ardyr (“Ar-DEER”)
Princess: Ardess (“Ar-DESS”)
Duke: Storn
Duchess: Staerra (“STAIR-ah”)
Marchion: Mahrsar (“MAR-sarr”)
Marchioness: Mahrsara
Earl (always used, instead of Count, because of possible confusion with “Corount,” a Common Tongue word meaning “courtier or military commander sent in by a ruler to serve as a temporary acting noble when the real one has died suddenly, gone missing, or gone mad/fallen gravely ill/otherwise become incapacitated”): Velm (“VEL-mm”)
Countess (never used, except by heralds and court scribes: just “Lady”): Velana (“Vell-ANNA”)
Viscount: Tlarvelm (“TAH-lar-velm”)
Viscountess: Tlarvelana (“TAH-lar-velanna”)
Baron (in Cormyr, includes Baronet): Taen (“TAYN”)
Baroness (in Cormyr, includes Baronetess): Taenya (“TAY-nyah”)
Knight (title is unisex, but as a form of address, females are styled “Lady Knight”): Tahar (“TAH-har”)
Lord: Aro (“AIR-o”)
Lady: Arauna (AIR-on-ah”)
Sir: Saer (“SAY-ur”)

So saith Ed, busily building languages everywhere.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  02:18:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

In the mean time of waiting for a reply to a previous question, I came up with another.
I was reading a thread here about Selune. One poster was trying to say Selune can't be chaotic becuase "what is more orderly than the moon". I was thinking about this and how the poster said the moon followed the same 28 cyclical period as ours. Is this true? and is the moon of Toril tidally-locked like our moon?

That would be me. And I am wondering the same thing myself? The moon is one of the most orderly things in the universe. It phase changes occur exactly every 28 days here. Presumably, it is similar on Abeir-Toril. On a related topic, (and more for general D&D), but why are werewovles Chaotic? Name a more orderly animal (insects excluded). They have a strict heirarchy.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ryss Firemaster
Acolyte

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  05:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Ryss Firemaster's Homepage Send Ryss Firemaster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. By no means deathless poetry, but lyrics that sounded fine when he sang them, as I dimly recall from a play session in the winter of 1980.
love to all,

Interesting Lament. Dare one ask if Ed has any information on the "original" in-Realms poet?

"People lie. Online doubly so!"
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Sian,

I incorporate timezones into my game, but the denizens of Toril (and thus my PCs) are unaware of it. Thus when one teleports from Waterdeep in the morning to the Dales and arrives in the middle of the night, they are under the impression that it takes a day to teleport from Waterdep to the Dales. Opinions vary as to whether the spell "sucks up" the time as a component, or if the travellers are simply unaware of the passage of time. Those that believe that time gets "eaten" by the spell teleport only in times of dire need as they are uncertain who or what is eating the time.

I believe in Forsaken House and/or Farthest Reach, one of the main characters teleports the party from point A to point B and it's the same day, just there farther in the day at point B.

I was about to use the same point (almost). I think though the reason there wasn't a massive time shift was summarised when Araevin said something along the lines of that they must have travelled mostly north or south, as the time difference was very slight.
So at least one smart mage knows about time zones
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

In the mean time of waiting for a reply to a previous question, I came up with another.
I was reading a thread here about Selune. One poster was trying to say Selune can't be chaotic becuase "what is more orderly than the moon". I was thinking about this and how the poster said the moon followed the same 28 cyclical period as ours. Is this true? and is the moon of Toril tidally-locked like our moon?

That would be me. And I am wondering the same thing myself? The moon is one of the most orderly things in the universe. It phase changes occur exactly every 28 days here. Presumably, it is similar on Abeir-Toril. On a related topic, (and more for general D&D), but why are werewovles Chaotic? Name a more orderly animal (insects excluded). They have a strict heirarchy.

The forgotten realms calender tool (not sure where I got it from, I guess wizards) has the moon phases by month.
e.g. 1 full cycle is from the 1st flamerule to the 1st eleasis, 32/33 days

edit: of course I should mention that was 1372. I believe the phases change per year

Edited by - Kaladorm on 25 Oct 2006 12:04:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:23:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

The forgotten realms calender tool (not sure where I got it from, I guess wizards) has the moon phases by month.
e.g. 1 full cycle is from the 1st flamerule to the 1st eleasis, 32/33 days

edit: of course I should mention that was 1372. I believe the phases change per year

Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Bingo :)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:50:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles one of two queries Kajehase asked in the same post (the other Ed will get to on another occasion): “1. Continuing my (or Ed's, really) exploration of the Chondathan language, would it be possible to get the Chondathan names of the various noble titles used in Cormyr (along with the English word they most closely equate to)?”
Scribe Jerryd, this peripherally touches on your current query about Cormyrean titles, too.
Ed replies:

Certainly it would be possible.
I’ll even do it. :}
A list follows, with each entry taking this sequence: Common Tongue title (with usage notes, if applicable), Chondathan word, pronunciation (only if possibly confusing)

King: Astrel (“Az-TRELL”)
Queen: Arauna (“Arr-AWN-ah”)
Prince: Ardyr (“Ar-DEER”)
Princess: Ardess (“Ar-DESS”)
Duke: Storn
Duchess: Staerra (“STAIR-ah”)
Marchion: Mahrsar (“MAR-sarr”)
Marchioness: Mahrsara
Earl (always used, instead of Count, because of possible confusion with “Corount,” a Common Tongue word meaning “courtier or military commander sent in by a ruler to serve as a temporary acting noble when the real one has died suddenly, gone missing, or gone mad/fallen gravely ill/otherwise become incapacitated”): Velm (“VEL-mm”)
Countess (never used, except by heralds and court scribes: just “Lady”): Velana (“Vell-ANNA”)
Viscount: Tlarvelm (“TAH-lar-velm”)
Viscountess: Tlarvelana (“TAH-lar-velanna”)
Baron (in Cormyr, includes Baronet): Taen (“TAYN”)
Baroness (in Cormyr, includes Baronetess): Taenya (“TAY-nyah”)
Knight (title is unisex, but as a form of address, females are styled “Lady Knight”): Tahar (“TAH-har”)
Lord: Aro (“AIR-o”)
Lady: Arauna (AIR-on-ah”)
Sir: Saer (“SAY-ur”)

So saith Ed, busily building languages everywhere.
love to all,
THO

*bows and purrs* Thank you Aro Ed.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:54:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And with those titles out of the way...some questions about the Aglarondan royal arms.

1) Is it used in the same manner which national flags are used today?
2) How are the starts on it arranged - vertcial, horizontal, diagonally, or in a triangle?
3) Does the Simbul have a separate sigil for when she is Queen of Aglarond (as opposed to when she is "just" plain old Alassra)? (Like her wizard's sigil superimposed on top of the Aglarondan arms or just the royal arms, for instance.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 25 Oct 2006 12:55:32
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  12:56:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Wonderful! This information comes to me at the right time........ Thank you Ed and thanks Kajehase for asking the question. I would never even come to think of asking such things in the first place.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Kuje (and other scribes), I'm starting to think that gathering all of Ed's linguistics in constantly-expanding files here at Candlekeep, alphabetical by word AND by meaning-word in English, would be a great service to us all.
I know Ed has given us words in Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Chondathan, Orc, whatever tongue the Bedine speak (I forget), and lots of stray words in local dialects, old languages, etc. etc. plus Dethek and Espruar alphabets (probably more). I know there's no way I could find all of Ed's language tidbits in a hurry, and I'm thinking he can't, either.
Something not zipped, but posted here at the Keep accessible to all, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  16:33:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Kuje (and other scribes), I'm starting to think that gathering all of Ed's linguistics in constantly-expanding files here at Candlekeep, alphabetical by word AND by meaning-word in English, would be a great service to us all.
I know Ed has given us words in Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Chondathan, Orc, whatever tongue the Bedine speak (I forget), and lots of stray words in local dialects, old languages, etc. etc. plus Dethek and Espruar alphabets (probably more). I know there's no way I could find all of Ed's language tidbits in a hurry, and I'm thinking he can't, either.

If someone wants to make that, have at it. I'm keeping my log the way I've been keeping them for 3 years now with the table of contents/index and the dated entries. Shrug.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  16:59:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

If someone wants to make that, have at it. I'm keeping my log the way I've been keeping them for 3 years now with the table of contents/index and the dated entries. Shrug.....

I've actually put together a collection of "themed" reply files. They've made it easier for me to compile sections for the Candlekeep's Guide to FR FAQ that I'm currently writing. These files contain "themed" replies from various game designers and authors here at Candlekeep. For example, I've got a themed file for ALL the Chosen replies made by most authors and game designers here. Additionally, I've also covered several "regional" themed reply files -- covering specific replies concentrating on one particular part of the Realms -- like Cormyr for example.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to create too many, because I've only wanted to include themed files concerning FR FAQ. Though FR linguistic questions do pop up with some regularity, so maybe I'll put together a themed linguistic file for the CGtFRFAQ as well.

For now though... you'll eventually see most of the "themed" files I've already put together, included in the CGtFRFAQ.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  20:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
CGtFRFAQ.

The crazy world of acronyms
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  20:46:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
CGtFRFAQ.

The crazy world of acronyms

Candlekeep's Guide to FR FAQ

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:29:58  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed,

I was wondering about the land of Thar. In recent published sources, we have been given some intriguing tidbits including two great kings (one an orc, the other a wily ogre). Is there anything that you can provide us that might connect the dots between these two grand political figures? Second, no matter how much I read, I keep getting the mental picture in my head that the Thar is a swamp. Can you give me a better description of that region? Lastly, the barbarians of the Ride (oft alluded to, but seldom written about)don't seem to have the same cataclysmic history as the cities of the Moonsea (seems like each of those cities have been steam rolled at least once). Is this a virtue of their nomadic life-style or are they favored by some god that keeps the tuskers looking south?

Thanks in advance!

-Walker

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  03:04:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tackles a mid-August request from Mkhaiwati: “In case I have not said anything before, a big thank you to THO and Ed for the responses to my previous questions. And I have another to throw onto the huge pile of questions (it is like a hydra, finish off two and five more grow back!)
While reading the Volo's guide to Cormyr, specifically the notes on Barandos Hawklin, it states the clan has prospered, among other things, from adventuring and sponsoring adventurers. Could you elaborate on that last part. I see possibilities of profiting from anything political (embarassing or eliminating a political rival, though I doubt if he would do this), to making use of "monster cleared land" as areas for money making venues (inns, mines, etc), to making a trade route clear of monsters for caravans, to the ever popular taking a percentage of the loot from adventuring parties.
What does "sponsoring" entail, anyway? Paying part of charter fees, arranging material and supplies (food, rope, mounts, etc), access to special government personalities and offices that are hard to reach, and funneling good adventure opportunities to the chartered groups are obvious examples, but would it take any other forms?
I dunno, maybe I hit on all the high points
Thanks”
Ed replies:

Mkhaiwati, you’re very welcome - - and quite correct in sponsoring: it can mean paying charter fees and/or providing equipment and supplies and/or dealing with courtiers and bureaucrats on behalf of the adventurers and/or hiring or recommending said adventurers, or spreading word of their capabilities at nobles’ revels, et al. In the Hawklin case, “sponsoring” has meant all of those things. Other examples of sponsoring include buying guild memberships or making “task offers” (the Realms equivalent of tendering for a job) on behalf of adventurers, promising courts or rulers to monetarily compensate for all damages done by the adventurers or fines incurred by them, establishing a “healing fund” at a local temple to pay for future medical (and raising) needs of the adventurers, and paying travel costs for long voyages.
There are scores of ways any sponsor can profit from the activities of adventurers, from the ways you mention to defeating trade rivals in the marketplace because rivals (or their suppliers or customers) have been hampered or intimidated by the adventurers, to escaping debts because the adventurers kill creditors and destroy all documentary evidence of outstanding loans (including killing witnesses). In the Hawklin case, trade rivals have repeatedly been hampered or intimidated by hired adventurers (in one case, the shipments of rivals’ goods were destroyed by “bandits” who were really disguised hired adventurers). Such ‘dirty tricks’ can work in several ways, from the adventurers following direct orders, or hints (“See what you can do to see that X or Y is kept busy this month, and at the end of it sees very few coins in profit; I don’t want to know how you do it, but don’t get caught”), to manipulating the unwitting adventurers into damaging rivals while they’re trying to pursue other goals or missions. In the Hawklin case, the “I don’t want to know how you do it” was the favored approach.

So saith Ed. Who had various NPCs try all of those on the Knights, over the years, to continually remind us that we were small-town neophytes in an already-crowded field of adventuring. (Which is quite realistic, after all, given the activites of the Zhents, Lashan, Cormyr, the factions in Hillsfar, and so on.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  00:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO,
My request this time is for information about the elven pantheon temple in Waterdeep - anything you can tell me about it, the building, the clergy, how it is perceived by various folks etc. I look forward to hearing from you and hope this finds you in rude health.

Reefy

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  04:24:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time Ed replies to Baleful Avatar’s question: “How close is the look and feel of the Realms in Ed's novels to its look and feel when Ed's DMing his home campaign?”
Ed replies:

The way characters talk and look: identical. The sense of whimsy and humour: as close as the editors will let me. The feel of actual play: not close at all. My players have always loved (as have I) tons of subplots going on at all times, and PC freedom to break and go shopping here, wander off to see something else there, drop in and chat with NPC friends and business contacts, and so on - - and if I try to dwadle and tarry through such “real life” events in a Realms novel, the editors ruthlessly prune it all out, to bring us back to a single driving plot. Peter Archer used to call this “avoiding a book that’s too shrubby” (meaning, like garden shrubbery that’s been left to grow wild, it throws out branches untidily in all directions). I don’t get the chance to write self-indulgent, don’t-care-about-wordcount, no-need-for-tidy-resolutions or allowance for philosophy, poetry, and the like in place of fast action books. I’d like to, but it hasn’t happened yet, in twenty years of writing Realms novels for TSR and then WotC.

So saith Ed. I happily confirm that Realmsplay sessions in the “home” campaign are character-development driven, heavy roleplaying, not battle or game advancement oriented.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  21:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Compare the 'shrubby' image, and by contradistinction a forest of widely spaced straight trees, to that of the Weave -- an echo of the cosmic spider's web, noosphere, etc. Big gap between the interrelated, deferred, social, holographic world implied by the sourcebooks and some of the novels and the egocentric, A–B stories the novels tend toward. Without the former, the Realms wouldn't exist artistically and commercially as we know it. Do the book editors really need to distort it into the latter? Is it impossible to sell involved fat fantasy alongside (to be uncharitable) short stories written at novel length? Well, if you train readers to expect the latter, maybe so. (He's talking to himself again.)

Edited by - Faraer on 27 Oct 2006 21:48:28
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  15:22:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Well said, Faraer! (The popularity of Martin and Kay, and for that matter Jordan, suggests fantasy readers DO like “fat fantasy” with many subplots and umpteen characters. Pity no one at WotC seems to read enough bestselling fantasy to cotton on to this.)
Hi again, everyone. A quick reply by Ed this time, to Malcolm’s question: “At a recent convention, Ed mentioned he was writing something called DARK WARRIOR. Is this a Realms project, or something else?”
Ed replies thus:

DARK WARRIOR isn’t set in the Realms. It’s the first of two linked swords-and-sorcery novels for Tor Books, centered on a human who escapes from slavery under the surface of the earth (and that’s probably all I should say right now, except to note that the “world” they present is of lore interest to all Realms fans as the way the subterranean Realms would have been, if D&D hadn’t given us Loth-worshipping drow down there).

So saith Ed (and, no, I haven’t seen a glimpse of this book, and so can’t add a word about it). Ed also wanted to warn The Sage that he was handing out copies of the already-released Player’s Guide to Castlemourn in Fort Wayne, not the core hardcover setting book (which due to editing delays that Ed’s quite happy with, saying he’s very pleased with the attention to detail the setting is receiving from Margaret Weis Productions and the freelancers, will probably be released in December). Ed did rave about the Donato cover painting (he got to drool over the original overnight, in his hotel room). The Player’s Guide is available on-line as a free download, BTW. (Provide the link, someone? Please?)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  15:55:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed (and, no, I haven’t seen a glimpse of this book, and so can’t add a word about it). Ed also wanted to warn The Sage that he was handing out copies of the already-released Player’s Guide to Castlemourn in Fort Wayne, not the core hardcover setting book (which due to editing delays that Ed’s quite happy with, saying he’s very pleased with the attention to detail the setting is receiving from Margaret Weis Productions and the freelancers, will probably be released in December).
Oooh! December. Well, I'm hope the Lady K is reading this, because I think I've just found what I want for Christmas.

quote:
The Player’s Guide is available on-line as a free download, BTW. (Provide the link, someone? Please?)
love to all,
THO
Of course, my Lady. The Player's Guide is available here:- http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12630

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Oct 2006 15:55:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  05:04:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello and well met again, fellow scribes. This time I bring you Ed’s reply to a query from Broken Helm: “A question for Ed, if I may: if the Swords books can't follow what happened in your campaign, are you going to use them to explore what would have happened IF the players had done something different, or do whatever works best as an entertaining story, or - what?
And if you don't want to tell us, that's fine. I'm hoping, however...”
Ed replies:

I’m afraid space limitations prevent me from trying to explore what would have happened if my players had “done something different” with their characters, because I tried as a DM to let THEM decide where to go and what to do, every play session - - and to give them scores upon scores of real choices, NOT “you can die in this dungeon, or that one; I’ve got just the two ready.” Obviously, I can’t write a novel crammed with all of those chaotically-unfolding subplots and expect Wizards to publish it. They want a coherent story.
As do all readers, I presume. However, I had to decide SOMEthing about where I was going while writing this trilogy, and in the end decided to paint a portait of how one group of teenagers who wanted adventure and dreamed of being famous chartered adventurers fared, when they actually tried it. The fictional Knights had to start out being slightly different from the PC Knights, and have already begun to divurge quite a bit. I think of my fictional characters in the novel (as opposed to the fictional PCs I created all those years ago, and then handed to my players to “make their own”) as salutes to the “real” (PC) Knights.
So telling an interesting tale is foremost, and bringing you fictional echoes of the Knights I love is second, and having fun writing it is third, and showing you a little more colour and depth of Cormyr at this time period is fourth. I’ll probably add more goals to the list as I go . . .

So saith Ed. Who’s done us proud thus far.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Borch
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  12:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Borch's Homepage Send Borch a Private Message
Greetings all,

I once again have a querry to add to Ed's ever growing list of questions, hoping that Ed can provide an answer.

Here it goes...

Recently I reread Eric Boyd's answer in Dungeon's Scalemail, where he addresses language issues in his Vampires of Waterdeep campaign arc and provides lore on the Grisgol, he speaks of an undead horde being battled in the Fields of the Dead in the Year of the 7 Kings Horde (1131 DR).

My questions are:

Who was/were the leader/s of this undead horde, and are they, by chance, linked to the year's name? Anyway, who are/were the 7 Kings giving 1131 its name? And finally, can you impart some lore on the Realms that lay in the area now known as the Fields of the Dead?

As always, thanks for providing all this great Realmslore for us to enjoy.

Sprich aus der Ferne,
heimliche Welt,
die sich so selten
zu mir gesellt
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  20:29:43  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello again, Greenwood

In my particular story I have the Living Gem in the possesion of an undead, how far off would that be for you say by the year 1372 if you CAN elaborate on it?
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  22:53:04  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Hi,

One more query for me : I would like that Ed give extended details on "the Warrens", this underground ward of Waterdeep described in Waterdeep : A novel and referred in Eric's CoS.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000