Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  04:31:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. (Didja miss me? Well, I'm BAAAAACK!) Ahem.
Hearken once again to the words of Ed, who makes reply to Gillies re. this request: “Hey Ed and THO, Its me again. I'm wondering even though I haven't found a DnD group to play with, would it be a smart idea to get the players handbook and the monster manual and some dice? So maybe I can start making my character and such.”
Ed replies:

Gillies, if I were you, I’d go to the Avid Reader in Cobourg and see if Wendy has the Players Handbook and current issues of DRAGON and DUNGEON in. Even if the PH isn’t “in stock” (she’ll order it in if you want, or J&B in Trenton or some of the shops in Oshawa will have much larger selections always in stock), I’d buy the DRAGON and DUNGEON and take them home to drool over and “get the feel” of the game and adventures.
In a “story” or heavy roleplaying game of the sort I run, knowing your character’s “back story” and so being able to think and act as they would, and using only the knowledge and attitudes they would have, is crucial.
However, the game can be played in many different ways, and some DMs don’t give a hoot about such things, and play becomes like a football game, with the players huddling between combat rounds to discuss who should cast which spell, who else should use which battle tactic this round, and so on.
I personally am of the opinion that long-lived, vivid campaigns MUST be heavy roleplaying (or they will never become long-lived, or consistently vivid), but to enjoy such a play experience you’ve got to have a DM and fellow players who “buy in” to the same view. It can be a real emotional wrench if you spend hours upon hours detailing a character, only to have a DM laughingly kill such a character in a brute-force, “you stepped in the wrong place ha ha you die” trap, two minutes after play begins.
One of my personal benefits from creating the Realms has been the ability to “walk around the world” and explore it, spinning stories of what happened, what mysteries characters ponder, and what may happen next in endless daydreaming fantasies. That’s something you can certainly indulge in, while looking for folks to play with. I would consult the scribes here for the links to the free downloads of past Realms products that lurk on the Wizards site (and elsewhere), and peruse these for hours of fun reading (don’t worry about the game stats, just names and places and lore).
And have fun!

So saith Ed, who’s incurably in love with D&D and the Realms.
I’m afraid he’s not “back yet” from the Dreaded Deadline Doom, and will be able to reply only sporadically over the next week or so. So I’m snatching the opportunity to do lots of little work side-errands that have been piling up, and may be a day or two tardy in peeking into Candlekeep for your latest posts. Yet, please, keep them coming: we’ll get back up to speed as soon as we can!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  05:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, fellow scribes. (Didja miss me? Well, I'm BAAAAACK!) Ahem.
Of course.

'Tis good to see you back, THO. You and Ed had us worried.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  20:37:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Welcome back
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  20:51:49  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Could you clear something up posted in Wizards forum, the poster asked why aren't celestials summoned as regularly as fiendish creatures. I said fiendish crestures have their own agenda for accepting summons unless yoked up by a Cadderly type person. I also said that higher intelligent celestial are fulfilling their own duties usually at the request of a higher power or deity. And more to the point that these more powerful celestials would not care to be called at the whim of humaniods and even might become angry if forced to do bidding such as in Gate spell.

Another poster said he summoned Solars when he was engaged with Pit Fiends and the like and that they are lawful good and therefore more than willing to assist him especially against fiends. I said Soalrs in particular would be bothered by this becuase it reads as if they directly serve deities and leave such things to their other brethren and being summoned by a mortal whenever he decides he's in over his head would definitely be an issue for them. I also haven't read to much about celestials especially solars in Faerun and assume that they don't frequent it too often and if so to a select few. I wrote that knowledge of them and their activities wouldn't be so easy to come by and the other poster disagrees and feel's an angel is an angel and everyone knows they fight fiends and thats enough to go on as well as giving them a judeo-christian comparision.

What's the creator outlook on these beings in Faerun in Particular solars?

Thanks

Edited by - createvmind on 18 Sep 2006 20:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  21:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message
Welcome back Ed and THO,

I was wondering for Ed, if he had any ideas of games being runned in my area looking for a new player? Or maybe he could give me the tips of the trade to become a DM. Again thanks for the answers to my questions and I can't wait to hear back.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  00:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A Question for Ed/Elaine

Which of the following types of criminal activity does Elaith Craulnober run in Waterdeep?

Protection rackets
Prostitution
Drug dealing
Gambling
Kidnapping for Ransom
Robberies
Counterfieting
Murder for Hire
Smuggerling of legal and Illegal goods
Slavery
Anything I missed

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 19 Sep 2006 00:30:54
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  10:54:26  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
quote:
Greetings Ed, THO and esteemed scribes of Candlekeep..

Thanks for continuing to create such a wonderfully vibrant campaign world for us to enjoy.

Just a quick question.. I've been hunting through and havent seen it answered yet (but its possible I missed it)

What role does the High Imperceptor of Bane play in the current status quo of the Church of Bane? Is there any possibility of getting some more detail on the current heirarchy of the Church of Bane in the Moonsea region?

[edited: just one more thing]
What is the status of the (former?)Lords of the council Zhentil Keep? Lord Payr'adar and Lord Halaster survived but who did Manshoon save from the destruction of Zhentil Keep and what are they up to?

Thanks very much, keep up the fantastic work

Cheers

Just wanted to let you know I've since found my answers to the first part of my question (High Imperceptor part) but I am still interested in the second part of my question concerning Zhentish nobles whenever you may get some time oh great sagely one..

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

DavidTrim
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  22:21:40  Show Profile  Visit DavidTrim's Homepage Send DavidTrim a Private Message
Hello, I've just spent the last three weeks reading the 04,05, and up to present Q&A threads with Ed. Tons of fun info and just amazed with Ed as a person and an answer font. I will hopefully beable to now read more of the threads here since I am finished with these three.

My question(and I am strictly a 1e&2e player)If a prest were to have their holy symbol tatooed on their body in a consicrated ceremony in their church would said tatoo work as a holy symbol for turning and spell casting. Like say having sait tatoo on the back of their hand or palm and not wearing gauntlets.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  23:05:17  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
Greetings to Her of the Hood, and Just Ed of the Green Wood. Kindest thanks to you both for helping us to know Faerûn better. I have a few questions, regarding elves in the Realms.

First, is the word "ardavanshee" singular or plural (or both) in construction? And is it gender-specific? Is the useage limited to "citified" elves, as in Myth Drannor, Evereska, and the towns of Evermeet, or would the green elves in their hidden glades call their delinquent youth by this term as well?

Second, regarding those aforesaid green elves: Am I correct in assuming that, however "primitive" their woodland societies may seem by comparison to the high civilizations of Evereska and Evermeet, green elven culture has its own richness of traditions and customs that in its own way rivals that of their less reclusive cousins? What are some noteworthy features of wild elf culture, in various areas of Faerûn?

Third, imagine a young lore-singer of a remote green-elf tribe who, led by visions and the decrees of his tribe's seers, sets out to familiarize himself with the other cultures of the Realms, and enrolls in the bardic college at Silverymoon. Obviously, he would have little coin for tuition. Are scholarships available? Would the tales and songs of his own people (mostly unknown even to other elves) be valued enough to help pay his way?

And finally, how would the locals be apt to react in Alustriel's city when said elf stubbornly preferrs to go naked, or in as little as the climate permits, and forsakes his dormitory cot to sleep in some accomodating tree, and occasionally catch his own lunch if he spies a juicy rabbit? Would the constabulary object? (Yes, this is my character - I simply am curious as to how the locals might respond in Ed's Realms).

Best of luck to Ed in unearthing himself from an avalanche of deadlines, NDA's, and other busy-ness, and to Her Hooded Grace in avoiding gunshot wounds and hot pursuits in inconveniently long gowns!

Edited by - Vangelor on 23 Sep 2006 22:02:58
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
The Hooded One,

I finished City of Splendors and Best of the Realms 2 recently. Please pass on a short note to Master Greenwood to let him know how throughly I enjoyed both novels. Especially BotR! I'm now on to Swords of Eveningstar, which I was astonished to find my library system has in hard cover!

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  23:05:04  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DavidTrim

I am strictly a 1e&2e player If a prest were to have their holy symbol tatooed on their body in a consicrated ceremony in their church would said tatoo work as a holy symbol for turning and spell casting. Like say having sait tatoo on the back of their hand or palm and not wearing gauntlets.

As I persive the ruling for 2e I would say "yes" if the ceremony was held by a high ranking priest and this was accepted by the church as a holy symbol, But in 3.5e tieflings and asmirs can have tatoos so I would say either the DM make a ruling or make it a house rule as I know not of any official ruling.

If you are still unsure then by all means wait for Ed or THO to reply.....

I just try to help!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  07:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
quote:

Like say having sait tatoo on the back of their hand or palm and not wearing gauntlets.

essentially like the triforce in Zelda.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  08:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Dearest Ed and the Hooded Lady, I'm looking for any and all descriptive information on the city of Proskur. I've the little information from the various Campaign Settings and the information about the Thayan Enclave from Lords of Darkness, but there doesn't seem to be anything describing the city in more detail than that.

Anything you care to share would be welcome! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

DavidTrim
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  16:10:47  Show Profile  Visit DavidTrim's Homepage Send DavidTrim a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

I am strictly a 1e&2e player If a prest were to have their holy symbol tatooed on their body in a consicrated ceremony in their church would said tatoo work as a holy symbol for turning and spell casting. Like say having sait tatoo on the back of their hand or palm and not wearing gauntlets.

As I persive the ruling for 2e I would say "yes" if the ceremony was held by a high ranking priest and this was accepted by the church as a holy symbol, But in 3.5e tieflings and asmirs can have tatoos so I would say either the DM make a ruling or make it a house rule as I know not of any official ruling.

I just try to help!

Thanks for the opinion. My gaming group has been doing that for a while with a few faiths (Tempus, Lathander and Tymora not sure why with just those three) and was wondering how that would be reacted to if those characters were brought into any other game.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  16:35:00  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just try to help!

Thanks for the opinion. My gaming group has been doing that for a while with a few faiths (Tempus, Lathander and Tymora not sure why with just those three) and was wondering how that would be reacted to if those characters were brought into any other game.

Glad to help,
in ans to your question,
That would depend on the DM but I see it as no problem, it can be explained that the chars are special envoys of their church, members of an in church organization a inner sanctum brotherhood or something with a little imagination all is workable!!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  16:39:27  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
Oh DavidTrim For some further advice as I have about reached my limit on this try asking Old Sage or Wooly (He might even have a symbol shaved into his fur! And after all The God of All Things Small and Furry should know if his subjects preform self mutilation?)

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

DavidTrim
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2006 :  23:43:19  Show Profile  Visit DavidTrim's Homepage Send DavidTrim a Private Message
quote:

Oh DavidTrim For some further advice as I have about reached my limit on this try asking Old Sage or Wooly (He might even have a symbol shaved into his fur! And after all The God of All Things Small and Furry should know if his subjects preform self mutilation?)

Thanks I will
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  14:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
Hi, I’m not sure about the rules about bumping up a question but I asked this on page 58 and shortly afterward THO went away, Ed has heavy deadlines and THO asked the question “what would you like to see”

I hate nagging and don’t mean too...I would just really like an answer (if it is available) for my project and I’m afraid that my question got lost in the excitement

quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I have a question for Ed

When you first designed the maps for Faerun did you add or make any notes on the weather systems? Especially the prevalent winds (wind belts and jet streams) and ocean currents (for the inner sea and the outer oceans)? Do you know of anyone that has done so? And if you did, did you place the forests and such in consideration of winds and precipitation?

I am trying to build a few maps, especially pre-Sundering global maps...and it would really help!

As the planet rotates like Earth, I’m guessing the prevalent winds are the same? Ans where is Toril's equator?

Thank you very much

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 27 Sep 2006 20:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  17:10:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
To quote our lovely Lady Hooded One, from page 14 of this thread:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up. Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law). All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think). And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2006 :  18:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To quote our lovely Lady Hooded One, from page 14 of this thread:

ahhh, thank you very much Wooly..and THO

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  01:55:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed is still overwhelmed with getting through three urgent projects, but plays hooky for long enough to make reply this time to varyar, in the matter of: “Hi Ed and THO, I'm curious if the elves have any particular names for the Outer Planes, and in general what their view of extraplanar affairs (the Blood War, Cyric's shenanigans, etc) might be compared to a human perspective (if there is 'a' human perspective). Many thanks in advance!”
Ed replies:

varyar, as you inplied, I’m not sure there is a single clear “human perspective” on extraplanar goings-on such as the Blood War (given how little most folk in Faerûn know about such things, and the filters - -usually priesthoods - - they hear what information they do get, through).
Nor am I so sure the elves have a single coherent view of such matters. The general elven attitude towards the Blood War would be that it’s undeniable proof that the races involved are insane and worthy only of destruction (as that seems to be all they devote themselves to), and that the antics of human deities are also proof that humans are an immature race who go insane whenever handed too much power - - but all stereotypes are very likely to be inaccurate on an individual-case basis.
Again, the elves have many names for the various planes, but one collective name for the Outer Planes is “Uvahlura,” an old name that has come to mean, roughly, “other-than-here places of extremes.”

So saith Ed. Who wants to remind all scribes that: “races rarely think in neat collective terms; elves and dwarves in particular, as long-lived, individualistic and creative races who possess strong individual characters, tend to hold a very wide variety of views on life and procedures and places and groups of beings.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  05:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
quote:

Hi, I’m not sure about the rules about bumping up a question but I asked this on page 58 and shortly afterward THO went away, Ed has heavy deadlines and THO asked the question “what would you like to see”

I hate nagging and don’t mean too...I would just really like an answer (if it is available) for my project and I’m afraid that my question got lost in the excitement

quote:

I have a question for Ed

When you first designed the maps for Faerun did you add or make any notes on the weather systems? Especially the prevalent winds (wind belts and jet streams) and ocean currents (for the inner sea and the outer oceans)? Do you know of anyone that has done so? And if you did, did you place the forests and such in consideration of winds and precipitation?

I am trying to build a few maps, especially pre-Sundering global maps...and it would really help!

As the planet rotates like Earth, I’m guessing the prevalent winds are the same? Ans where is Toril's equator?

Thank you very much

Just should point out that air-current patterns are not necessarily defined by rotation of the planet. It has more to do with temperature of the atmosphere (which in Faerun seems to be erratic- what with desserts next to arctic tundras et al.). It is also based on the surface texture and wind resistance. Take Jupiter for example, different stripes go in different directions because of vast changes in heat and energy. Winds are many times quicker in part because the surface is a sea (no wind resistance).

EDIT: just cleaned up some grammar

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 06 Oct 2006 15:07:50
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  15:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth
just should point out that air current patterns are not necessarily defined by rotation of the planet. it has more to do with temperature of the atmosphere and surface (which in Faerun seems to be erratic. It is also based on the surface texture and wind resistance. take jupiter for example. different stripes go in different directions bc of vast changes in heat and energy/ the winds are quick bc the surface is a sea.

this is all true...I was thinking more theoretically, about drag/friction of the atmosphere on the planet surface and the possible inertia of the atmosphere...thus would reversing a planet's rotation change wind directions

now, back to the thread

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  07:07:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
Hey, Ed!

-I was wondering if you could perhaps enlighten us about some of the prevalent philosophies and/or philosophers of the Realms. Surely, with deities that are quite literal and quite active, philosophies/philosophers of the Realms are going to be somewhat different that philosophers/philosophies that we have on our little ol' blue planet. As always, thank you for all of the time that you give us! We are not worthy!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  08:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed,

Recently I was reading "Letters From Hell", a book about Jack the Ripper and I started to wonder if there are any famous serial killers in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  22:27:59  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear Ed,

Recently I was reading "Letters From Hell", a book about Jack the Ripper and I started to wonder if there are any famous serial killers in the Realms?

OOOHHHH!

Good question, pray tell a list of FR's Most wanted serial killers.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  01:24:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Aren't all adventurers of any relative level serial killers?
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  07:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Aren't all adventurers of any relative level serial killers?

Well, that's not the type of serial killers I had in mind
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  15:06:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Dargoth recently asked: “Which of the following types of criminal activity does Elaith Craulnober run in Waterdeep?
Protection rackets
Prostitution
Drug dealing
Gambling
Kidnapping for Ransom
Robberies
Counterfeiting
Murder for Hire
Smuggling of legal and Illegal goods
Slavery
Anything I missed”
Ed replies:

All of the above.
Or to put it another way: Elaith runs various “toughs” (street thugs and more intelligent agents) who handle such things for him, “such things” being everything on your list and then some (the “anything I missed”). Personally, Elaith sees to problems that arise with these various operations (see CITY OF SPLENDORS for a glimpse of some of his agents; there are usually at least three, and more often six, layers of operatives between him and the thug in the alley with the dagger), and otherwise personally attends to: sophisticated blackmail (and “hidden manipulation”) of wealthy merchants, so as to influence goods supplies and therefore prices (so he can sell his goods at maximum profit), and so as to provide “fall guys” and “cover” for his smugglings of legal and illegal goods. He almost never personally has anything to do with slavery, drug deals, protection shakedowns, or murder for hire (though he does do murders, as part of the aforementioned “problem solving”). Elaith is becoming both bored and jaded with “brute force” criminality, and increasingly skilled at, and interested in, developing his means of covert influence, so he can control things in Waterdeep WITHOUT open (and illegal) uses of force. He long ago discovered that the guy who robs someone gets away with stuff he can carry, and gets hunted down - - but the guy who buys several houses, causes a few “accidental” fires in adjacent properties so as to buy them cheaply, and then sells the block for far higher prices, gets away with huge amounts of coin, and gets considered “smart” and “successful.”

So saith Ed. Who has plans of his own for Elaith, but will defer to Elaine in matters Elaithian.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

DavidTrim
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  20:55:31  Show Profile  Visit DavidTrim's Homepage Send DavidTrim a Private Message
Would Cormyr give adventuring charters for a group with some Sembians in it?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000