Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
I’ve never forgotten him walking up to us in the pitch darkness, silently in moccassins on a beaten dirt path, holding up a rotting log on which a CRAWLING phosphorescent fungus was glowing. He set it down beside us, and after we’d chatted for an hour or so about life, the universe, and the usual everythings, the fungus had migrated half off the log . . .

Eww. I have to ask, do you know what kind of fungus that was? That's pretty creepy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  13:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I most certainly second that Rinonal,

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  13:53:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Damn, raped by a Loxo, rape is bad period but that must be horrible.

Dare I even ask what a Loxo is?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:08:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Damn, raped by a Loxo, rape is bad period but that must be horrible.

Dare I even ask what a Loxo is?

Loxo are elephant-like humanoids. See Shining South.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  00:06:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Ed herewith responds to this post, from Arivia: “A pair of questions for Ed:
1) What about body modification in the Realms? We know that at least ear piercings exist, but what about nose or lip piercings? Are ear piercings only used in high society for earrings? Or, to put it another way, any cases of bone fragments being used for piercings? How about other forms of modification, such as scarification or corsetry?
2) Any details you can share on Kururn Blackalblade (see page 150 of Power of Faerun), or will those have to wait until the Border Kingdoms series reaches Blackalblade the town? Oh, and please say there's an entry on the Realm of the Smoking Star on the way!”
Ed replies:

1. Please see Page 4 of my replies in the 2004 vintage of this thread, Page 69 of the 2005 version, and especially Page 37 of the 2005 thread (wherein I answered this question directly, if briefly, in response to Wooly Rupert). To summarize, except among clergy, nipple and genital piercings are rare. Ear piercings are the most common, and usually for dangling earrings. Other piercings are unusual to rare. (The “punk” look of the modern real world would be interpreted in a Faerûnian port as someone from afar, having the “usual look” of wherever that was, and in Faerûnian backlands as some sort of religious dedication or practice. It would not be something most observers would want to emulate.)
Ritual scarring is usually religious in nature, and reflects a rite of passage or rank attainment in divine service (lay or priestly). For example, a cleric of Loviatar would at very low level participate in a ritual where she said prayers while being whipped in a particular spot until an open wound developed, and then would continue to pray while dyed salt was ritually put into the wound to increase pain and impart a particular colour to the wound, and then go on praying while senior priests used brazier-warmed pokers and burning brands to cauterize the open wound so as to make it a permanent scar. (Other faiths use ritual branding, sometimes administered after drugs to lessen pain.)
Corsetry is very common, from fat male merchants and female goodwives just wanting to “improve their shape, as meets the eye” (and so donning various foundation garments, meant to stay hidden under clothing) to all sorts of alluring garments (meant to display the body, and at the same time be displayed as adornment).
Yes, bone fragments are used among human, dwarf, gnome, and halflings in Chult and among serpentfolk everywhere for (where anatomically relevant) ear, lower jaw, and forearm adornment, but these bone pieces are usually deliberately shaped and polished into little figurines or tooth shapes marked with luck-runes (or in the case of arcane spellcasters, the bones themselves can serve as material components for necromantic spells, or the runes they bear have magical uses).

2. Well, I didn’t impart all that much about Kururn in the Blackalblade web entry, because he’s long dead. Or (heh-heh) perhaps undead, in your Realms campaign.
In the ‘home’ Realms campaign, he haunts a particular tavern - - and the alley behind it - - that occupy the site where his house once stood, as a silent, wraith-like phantom with burning eyes. He watches everyone who “comes too close,” growing multiple heads to do so, and is insubstantial and silent, but menacing (he’s guarding the bulk of his treasure, which was buried deeply and never found when his house collapsed and was cleared away for the building of the tavern).
No one had yet dug his coins up - - but when they do, I’ll have Kururn materialize as a boneclaw (MM3, but able to fly and fade in and out of tangibility), to slay - - but do so stealthily, stalking the treasure-finders everywhere across the Realms and attacking them only when he can get them alone, asleep, or otherwise at a disadvantage. The moment he leaves the site of his onetime home, he’ll lose the ability to manifest multiple watchful heads, but he’ll always be able to unerringly teleport back to that place. He’ll seek to slay any treasure-takers, and restore his treasure to where it was.
As for the Realm of the Smoking Star: of COURSE there’s an entry coming on it. And on every other nook, cranny, stream, rill, and waymoot of the Border Kingdoms. Would I leave you wanting?

Oho, Arivia, be careful how you answer THAT sort of Ed question.
Me? I’ll just be over here, carefully out of earshot . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  11:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui to The Hooded One and Ed!

More recently we were debating planar issues and came to speak about these special servants Lolth had created to do her biding, the yochlol. As Lolth was and is a multi-spheric deity, questions arose whether it was the "FR Lolth" or the "Core Greyhawkian Lolth" which created the "first" yochlol. Or to put it more precisely: were the yochlol specificly created for the Forgotten Realms (the first appearance I know of, rule-wise, was in Ed's great The Drow of the Underdark)?
The more recent publication Fiendish Codex I has a lengthy article about the handmaidens as well, which stirred up the interest.

Thanks in advance,

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

renatoca
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  18:13:30  Show Profile  Visit renatoca's Homepage Send renatoca a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I asked this question before but got no answer :-(

I have just read Elminster's Daughter (and i liked a lot! :-)) and just after that i read Spellfire(Super good too :oD), and a question just keep blinking in my mind and here it is:

Simbul said to Elminster in Elminster's Daughter that she was just waiting him notice her and her's love, but at the spellfire she had a night with him, but spellfire comes before Elm's Daughter... and I can't just understand that, if he hasn't seen her what has he? so please explain it for me, pleaseee! :-)

Thanx
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  18:36:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by renatoca

Hi Ed and THO,

I asked this question before but got no answer :-(

I have just read Elminster's Daughter (and i liked a lot! :-)) and just after that i read Spellfire(Super good too :oD), and a question just keep blinking in my mind and here it is:

Simbul said to Elminster in Elminster's Daughter that she was just waiting him notice her and her's love, but at the spellfire she had a night with him, but spellfire comes before Elm's Daughter... and I can't just understand that, if he hasn't seen her what has he? so please explain it for me, pleaseee! :-)

Thanx

He might not be able to answer that yet. He'll get to it sooner or later, so you have to have patience. Hells, some of us are still waiting on answers from questions that we asked two years to a year ago. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  20:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
renatoca, if you give an Elminster's Daughter page reference, one of us may be able to sort out the confusion.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Aug 2006 20:27:21
Go to Top of Page

lobotraxx
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  22:52:51  Show Profile  Visit lobotraxx's Homepage Send lobotraxx a Private Message
Here's a question,THO, that may be simple to answer to pass along to Ed. In the short story,coming out of the Realms of the Underdark, "A Slow Day in Skullport" there are several characters that are mentioned at the end of the story that may show up in future stories. The characters are Torthan, Voundarra, Zarissa, and a black dragon called Vulharindauloth. Which novels do they show up again in to tell more of their fate because it kind of left that part hanging? Thanks again.

Lobotraxx

P.S.-I have been catching up on some reading so I'm about 10 years behind. I'm currently reading novels and trilogies that started in the publishing year of 1996 so a lot of catching up. I'm currently reading Book 1 of the Cormyr Saga.
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  01:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message
Hello THO and Mr. Greenwood,

I live in a small town in the Northumberland, Ontario area. Mr. Greenwood, you went to my school sometime during this year to show us DnD. Sadly I wasn't there on that day and been pretty sad that I couldn't go. Now I have no DnD experience and I was wondering if there a group in my area playing, who would accept a new player to the game? Any information would be most helpful. Thanks.

Gillies

Edited by - Gillies on 04 Aug 2006 03:27:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  03:01:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, the request for Ed’s lore comes from Jamallo Kreen, to whit: “Who was the disembodied Netherese Archwizard "Ander" back when he was alive, and what details are known of him besides what is in Elminster: Making of a Mage? (Yes! My effort to read El's life story backward to its beginnings has progressed all the way to Athalantar.)”
Ed replies:

Mharrander Dorolkh is the full and proper name of this Netherese archwizard, who was born in -1546 DR in Tzindylspar, to a lowborn merchant family of Netheril who traveled tirelessly fetching mundane supplies and items for various arcanists. He was one of some forty children, and his father, Surrane Dorolk, eventually sold Mharrander (who’d exhibited a natural aptitude to ‘feel’ the presence and strength of magic) to an archwizard, one Kazindrol - - a cruel, bald, bearded arcanist who exulted in taking beast-shape and hunting, rending, and devouring other creatures. Kazindrol sought immortality through the ability to send his mind intact into beast body after beast body, possessing and controlling all he entered, and prided himself on being able to inhabit and command two bodies at once (he saw this not only as essential to avoid dying in a slain body, but as a demonstration of his superior force of intellect).
Kazindrol had need of many assistants, but slew or transformed those he saw as growing into threats to himself. Mharrander never achieved this status, being always too obedient, eagerly obliging, and paltry in training-at-Art, and so was on hand when six of Kazindrol’s apprentices all attacked their master at once. The spellbattle was swift, spectacular, and deadly, ending with the top of Kazindrol’s tower shattered and Kazindrol and four of his apprentices reduced to ashes, a fifth caught in a spell-cycle that kept him helplessly transforming into a bewilderingly rapid sequence of different creatures (all of them wounded and pinned under rubble), and a sixth triumphant but ravaged by pain, and lashing out at everything in sight - - including Mharrander, who slew this sixth, snatched all the magical tomes and portable items he could find, and fled (leaving the wounded fifth apprentice to be blamed for everything, when neighbouring arcanists arrived to plunder Kazindrol’s magic).
Mharrander took himself far from Netheril, into high mountain caverns, somewhere to the south, where dragons laired. There he studied, soon finding a magic that would allow him to snatch creatures from afar for food, and another that would preserve dead bodies in a stasis field. He soon ringed his caverns with dead, floating beholders (that had perished of natural causes, or been on the verge of doing so, ere his magics plucked them to his presence), to dissuade exploring visitors, and began years of study and mastery. From time to time, as the years passed and the world changed, he emerged to explore and test his magic. First he slew or tamed dragons, and then under cloaks of magical concealment observed what others were up to, concentrating most on fellow Netherese arcanists - - and in particular on those working on longevity magics.
Only the human contacts of his explorations, and “feeling involved in unfolding life” through his spyings, kept Mharrander from going insane from sheer loneliness. He took to calling himself just “Ander,” and indulging in mimicry of those he spied upon.
He stole such secrets as he dared from archwizards pursuing longevity or immortality, and kept watch over their abodes and doings; whenever one of them perished, Ander swooped in to gather all he could of their magic and research. He sought his own route to immortality or at least longevity through seeking to master regeneration, and in tinkering with “the stuff of flesh” so that parts that did regenerate would not age, but return with the vigor of youth.
For many of his organs and tissues, he achieved what he sought, but saw no way to destroy and regenerate his increasingly aging head and brain without dying. So he turned to wraithform magics, and his stasis fields, hoping to buy time until he could find a solution - - or someone else did, that he could seize or steal it from.
Such tactics bought him centuries, but no solution offered itself. So at least, reluctantly, he turned to exploring lichdom and its magics, still using the “long sleeps” of stasis fields to buy more time.
Which in the end brought Ander to his encounter with Elminster encountered, in ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE.

So saith Ed. Who glossed over much, but has presented here far more about Ander than has hitherto been revealed anywhere.
Ed also adds a quick postscript to Gillies:

I've been asked about a local D&D playing group several times at the Port Hope Public library, but haven't found one yet. There was one in Cobourg, but its members have migrated steadily west, to Whitby and Oshawa. Keep watching this thread: if I find one, I'll post it here, and tell the librarian at TCS, too!

So saith Ed. Who's throat-deep in work, as usual.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  03:22:03  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Enjoy the reading, pace it, thats alot of catching up you doing and the Cormyr series alone is rather intense.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  11:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Please let me withdraw the scroll with the yochlol question. I have since found out that they made their first appearance in Q 1 - Queen of the Demonweb Pits, a long time before they got a more detailed write-up in TDotUD.

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 04 Aug 2006 11:54:08
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
hello THO and Ed

due to failure from the mortals here i'll forward a question i have about candlekeep to you ... who was First Reader og Keeper of the Tomes before Ulraunt and Tethtoril ... is there a list over them somewhere in your dungeon? ... when they served and some major characteristica about the once that was there the last couple of times would be nice

Sian

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:13:42  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Greetings Master Greenwood,

Since you already revealed so much about this mysterious persona which Ander was for many, many years, would you also be so kind as to answer my inevitable question - how would you describe Ander level wise, especially in comparison to such powers as Aumvor the Undying, Szass Tam or Khelben ??

Thanks

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  17:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed doesn't think in terms of levels, just approximate 'she overmatches him or is on a par in terms of this'. NPCs only get levels if they're going to conflict with PCs, and those levels depend on PC levels and the needs of the campaign. This is why you can't argue Realms from game stats, because the game stats are both approximate and arbitrarily precise.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Aug 2006 17:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:11:03  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Fine with me as well Faraer

Comparing him with Aumvor, Larloch, Khelben or Telamont would be, in fact, much better than assigning him any levels, especially if it's from Ed's point of view

Edited by - Torkwaret on 04 Aug 2006 19:12:06
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  22:45:36  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Of course, Ed didn't create Aumvor or Telamont (Telamont being a remnant of the dire Netheril supplement, and later expanded in the equally-as-disappointing Return of the Archwizards Trilogy). And even "comparison"-wise, Ed seems to think that each NPC has strengths and weaknesses that can't be accurately reflected in the rules.... Larloch may be the most powerful in Necromancy and Gate magic, for instance, but perhaps not as powerful in another form...

Of course, we'll just have to wait and see what Ed says. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  02:45:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And Ed says:

"42."

Of course.

Ahem. Hello, scribes!
Ed received all of the recent flood of related queries, sighed, grinned at Wooly’s comment, nodded at Smyther’s insight, and told me that right now he dares only answer the second of Eytan Bernstein’s questions: “Does Faerun have tectonic plates that cause seismic activity?”
Ed replies:

Yes - - and no.
(There you go. You’re welcome. Now run along, have a nice day, there’s a good chap . . .)
Just joking. Yes, Toril has tectonic plates. No, they don’t often cause seismic activity, because the earth nodes ‘drink’ the kinetic stresses, and let out that energy in other ways than earthquakes, faults, and slippages. So the fault lines are there (and many volcanic flows run along and up through them, so volcanic locations give a surface observer a rough idea of where some plate boundaries are), but the plates aren’t “on the move” nearly as much as they are in our real world. As of right now, at least. :} And for now, that’s definitely all I’ll say on the matter. Sorry. (Cue sinister NDA symphony, looming dark and rising . . .)

So saith Ed. Who’s probably got “Peter and the Wolf” on in the background, again.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  05:07:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

And Ed says:

"42."

Of course.

And with that comment, my respect for Ed grows!

And it was my pleasure to offer amusement to the Bearded One.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  05:25:38  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:

Agreed!

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  06:09:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And Ed says:

"42."

Of course.

And it was my pleasure to offer amusement to the Bearded One.

Indeed. I love it when he drops in these bits.

I'll add that to Ed's other "notable" mentions.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:14:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
quote:

And Ed says:

"42."

Of course.

Ahem. Hello, scribes!
Ed received all of the recent flood of related queries, sighed, grinned at Wooly’s comment, nodded at Smyther’s insight, and told me that right now he dares only answer the second of Eytan Bernstein’s questions: “Does Faerun have tectonic plates that cause seismic activity?”
Ed replies:

Yes - - and no.
(There you go. You’re welcome. Now run along, have a nice day, there’s a good chap . . .)
Just joking. Yes, Toril has tectonic plates. No, they don’t often cause seismic activity, because the earth nodes ‘drink’ the kinetic stresses, and let out that energy in other ways than earthquakes, faults, and slippages. So the fault lines are there (and many volcanic flows run along and up through them, so volcanic locations give a surface observer a rough idea of where some plate boundaries are), but the plates aren’t “on the move” nearly as much as they are in our real world. As of right now, at least. :} And for now, that’s definitely all I’ll say on the matter. Sorry. (Cue sinister NDA symphony, looming dark and rising . . .)

So saith Ed. Who’s probably got “Peter and the Wolf” on in the background, again.
love to all,
THO

Hmm... I think that opened more questions for me than it closed, but generally that's a good thing :) It's also probably not the best idea to give us FR designers to much info on the mechanics of natural disasters; we just might use them....

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 05 Aug 2006 08:17:48
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  10:40:52  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
That's all I needed to know, many thanks once again Ed

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:46:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Hmm... I think that opened more questions for me than it closed, but generally that's a good thing :) It's also probably not the best idea to give us FR designers to much info on the mechanics of natural disasters; we just might use them....

Heh... That was part of what Ed's previous reply on the topic said:

quote:
About seismic activity in the Realms: SHHHH! Holy Mystra, man, don’t you realize WotC editors read this forum?
By Her Sacred Silver Tears, don’t give them any MORE ideas for RSEs! I’ve spent years building this world, and am getting more than tired of seeing bits of it torn down! :} Couldn’t you bring up the pronounced lack of scenes of characters reading books, or playing games, instead? Tiddleywinks, even? :}

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  18:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message
Hey Ed and THO,

Its me again. I'm wondering even though I haven't found a DnD group to play with, would it be a smart idea to get the players handbook and the monster manual and some dice? So maybe I can start making my character and such.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  22:26:30  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Ed, I <3 you.

Just for the RSE-events comment, which I missed up until now.

Thanks for reposting it, Wooly. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:59:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I have (severall) question regarding Talfirs and about my own theory and quesses. There was not much information about Talfirs in Races of Faerun and when checking on the map I noticed the Talfirs old territory according Empires of Faerun resided south from Evermeet and so far in that area is marked grey, meaning area does not belong any city nor nation according the basic Campaing Setting book. Is there particullar reason for that? I did not find much information about Reach Woods and Reach River either.

So, question is more that did Talfirs somehow 'meld' into Tethyrian tribal population when it almost literally swarmed over in their world wide wandering (explaining bit why Tethyrians have Talfir Song bardic tradition). But anycase I wondered about more of Talfirs customs and their history and how Shadowking was viewed in that time. Thanks appearance Shadow Magic in Tome of Magic I wondered was Shadowking practioner of that art (and was it part of Talfirs tribal culture)?

If that is so, then I am intrested to know how present Faerun someone learns shadow magic or does some few selected arcanists research plane magic to learn it and use it or research about legends of Shadowking etc. So how shadow magic would be viewed in Faerun in generall and can common/most folk mistake shadow magic to shadow weave magic (which in this case are two sepparated things)?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Ed, I <3 you.

Just for the RSE-events comment, which I missed up until now.

Ditto! Turns out, he feels the same way many of us do, apparently.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000