Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  07:43:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I think he meant more of a james bond/ McGuyver type....Superman errrr.. something along those lines.

Thank you for the truename reply, I'm once again rewriting my adventure due to seemingly planting my stories in areas the REAL writers are now currently digging up. Having been evicted from several locales it was no surprise last night to read Blackstaff and say "Ohh well we WONT be building that little hamlet in said location anymore."

If not NDA and you are creator of him, is Gwaeron Windstorm his truename and if no can you hint at one...hee hee.

Edited by - createvmind on 29 Jul 2006 07:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:45:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

I think he meant more of a james bond/ McGuyver type....Superman errrr.. something along those lines.

Thank you for the truename reply, I'm once again rewriting my adventure due to seemingly planting my stories in areas the REAL writers are now currently digging up. Having been evicted from several locales it was no surprise last night to read Blackstaff and say "Ohh well we WONT be building that little hamlet in said location anymore."

If not NDA and you are creator of him, is Gwaeron Windstorm his truename and if no can you hint at one...hee hee.

I think RAS created Gwaeron Windstrom...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  16:47:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

If I understand correctly, the Old Sage is not so much Superman, zipping around saving the day, as he is the Kevin Bacon of the Realms.

Ooh! Let's play Six Degrees of Elminster! We'll start with Matteo...

PS, using deities is cheating.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2006 16:48:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:04:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
No, Wooly dearest, Ed created Gwaeron Windstrom. Trust me. I have a pencil lore write-up of Ed's from 1981 (when no one in gaming had yet heard of Bob Salvatore), that provided my character a quick paragraph of lore information about Gwaeron.
Speaking of Realmslore, and deities . . .
This time, Ed responds to Uzzy’s post: “Hello Ed! Another question about Lliira from me. Ive been looking through various bits of lore about Lliira, looking for a reason as to why Lliira has two Portfolios, those of Freedom and Liberty. They certainly get mention in various Lliiran based feats, etc, but with Lliira being described often as a flighty and detached Goddess, I dont see where she has Freedom and Liberty from (except maybe having Freedom due to her dancing nature, Freedom of Movement and all that)
Basically, what im asking is this. Where is this part of Lliira coming from? Would revolutionaries/freedom fighters really worship Lliira? Because, even with Lliira having those Portfolios, I dont see it happening. Perhaps shes just neglecting those Portfolios?
Thanks in advance.”
Ed replies:

I see your point. I suspect you’re using one pair of particular meanings of “freedom” and of “liberty,” whereas I and other Realms designers are using other meanings.
First, let’s look at some basic dictionary definitions (from a Pocket Oxford, edited down by me to remove etymology, etc.):
“FREEDOM: personal or civic liberty; liberty of action (to do); frankness, undue familiarity
take freedoms with: boldness of conception; exemption (from): privilege possessed by city or corporation; membership, citizenship
freedom of: free use of company, city, house”
and
“LIBERTY: Being free, freedom, freedom personified, right or power to do as one pleases or to do;
at liberty: free, disengaged, having the right or permission to do;
(natural liberty, civil liberty, etc.)”

Now, as one might expect, those definitions refer to each other, but they’re pretty clear once you disentangle the various meanings. They can be simplified down into "freedom" being the actual lack of restraints, rules, barriers, and so on, on behaviour, and explicit permission to be free; and "liberty" being the "feeling free" mental attitude of the free, that lets them understand their freedom and take advantage of their freedom by actually ACTING in a free manner.
Or one can match the meanings with the words the other way around; the fact that the two words have become so confused, over the years, is due to loose usage (see immediately below).
By your mention of revolutionaries and freedom fighters, you seem to be linking “freedom” and “liberty” firmly with warfare (what I call the “Fourth of July speechwriter’s” use of those words; for example, the phrase “freedom is on the march” is an oxymoron to someone not thinking of freedom in militaristic terms, just as “freedom reigns” is an oxymoron unless the speaker is using “reign” in the benevolent sense, to mean something light-handed whereas “ruling” means dungeons and headsmen and soldiers bursting into homes to root out miscreants).
Please don't misunderstand me: I am NOT saying freedom and liberty aren't worth fighting for (nor that they can usually be gained without fighting for them).
And the Realms has more than a few deities who govern (many aspects of) fighting. However, by and large, Lliira isn’t one of them.
The Scarlet Mummers (details upcoming in a Realmslore web column on the WotC website, as I told you in an earlier post) are the main exception: they ARE fighting clerics within the priesthood of Lliira, but their role is mainly defending the faith and Lliiran worshippers. They do attack adherents, temples, and clergy of Loviatar, and act against those who seek to stamp out or punish revelry. They do so in order to keep other priests of Lliira from having to take up arms or break off being carefree and happy.
Lay worshippers of Lliira, however, aren’t ever expected (by Lliiran clergy) to fight with weapons to promote freedom and liberty. (Though they won’t be chastised by Lliiran clergy for, say, drawing a dagger to defend themselves, as that’s also an act of personal freedom.) They are enjoined to act as if they are free, so as to make a locale, society, and situation more free. (Freedom is the act of doing what we want, so if we all try to do what we want, we’ll be free - - or at least, more free.) For instance: in a town with strict laws and large numbers of heavily-armed Watchmen poking their noses (and drawn swords) everywhere, the mood will likely be law-abiding, but also very quiet, wary, even fearful. A Llliran’s way is to laugh, dance, frolic, tell jokes to and about the Watch, and “act carefree.” Not to attack the Watch, but to make everyone carefree and heart-light (or at least happier). Break the tension. Offer wine and small gifts to the Watch and everyone else. Enjoin mourners at a funeral to stop weeping and being grim, and tell stories about funny things the deceased said or did. Try to get into male-only societies and clubs if they’re female, and vice versa if they’re male, and ask continually why everything isn’t open to everyone. (But do so in a playful way, not an antagonistic manner.)
Glance back at those dictionary definitions. Out of the various meanings of Freedom, a devout Lliiran promotes liberty of personal action, boldness of conception, frankness, and familiarity - - to a Lliiran, there’s no such thing as “undue familiarity;” nothing is ‘too much’ (in the public baths, the Lliiran is the guy who cheerfully comments on the sizes of all the penises around him - - and his own).
In other words, a Lliiran is always trying to (peacefully and politely, working through legitimate channels) change laws that restrict (e.g. “women can’t come in here” or “all taverns must close at dawn”), always speaking the truth (where someone wearing a horrible and expensive new hat asks a neighbour if they like it, and the neighbour to be polite says it’s nice, a devout Lliiran says cheerfully that it’s horrible), and treating everyone like an intimate friend (there are no taboo subjects, which can be embarrassing, but also liberating - - that word again - - because a visitor, just arrived in town, can complain to a Lliiran she’s never met before that her underthings are itching, and ask how to wash them or alter them to fix that). Lliirans are always in the forefront of new ideas, new styles of art and music, and always supporting (and working to make sure they’ll be successful) festivals of misrule (where the servants are served by their masters for a day, or guild apprentices run riot)
Back to the dictionary definitions, to Liberty this time. A devout Lliiran celebrates and promotes in others the joy of being free, the right to do as one pleases - - again, working against restrictive laws, breaking minor written and unwritten rules (“No singing in here!” Lliiran response: start trilling away) where societal safety won’t be harmed (a Lliiran is NOT an insensitive, airheaded idiot, and won’t joke about dead babies to a bereaved mother or shout “fire!” in a crowded chamber), and breaking their own and others’ routine. “Enjoy the moment!” is a Lliiran saying; “Do something different!” is another. “Why not?” is a favourite Lliiran response to just about anything.
It’s very important not to use freedom or liberty in a militaristic sense when speaking of this goddess or her followers. These are the people who put flowers in the mouths of guns, and do the “free love” thing, speaking out against oppression and aiding the oppressed but NOT fighting the oppressors. They are the Gandhis, not the men with guns. They are NOT the anarchists and freedom fighters who use bombs or slayings or open warfare to try to change things. They may work with, and heal, hide, and help such fighters, but those fighters are more likely to venerate or be clergy of Tyr, Lathander, Tempus, Torm, Garagos, or even Helm or Red Knight.
Whereas clergy of Ilmater concentrate on enduring oppression, clergy of Lliira make fun of oppressors and try to lighten the hearts of the oppressed. Lliiran clergy who know of an armed plot to overthrow an oppressive regime would NOT help fight against that regime with weapons - - but they WOULD (if asked) spread word of plots and preparations (“gather here at dusk” and “hide your coins and be ready to travel”), help bankroll the freedom fighters, provide diversions and shelter and healing, mock and hamper armed authorities seeking to quell the rebellion, and so on. They will WORK FOR freedom, but not FIGHT FOR freedom (and so are often labelled “flighty” and “uncaring” by others, labels you echoed in your post).

So saith Ed. Helping to make clearer why all those similar divine portfolios really are distinct, and need different deities backing them up.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:20:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Yay,

More Lliira lore. Kuje is happy since she and Sharess are two of my favorite deities. As if people couldn't tell, since I've asked about them repeatedly. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  03:21:18  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
A very nice reply, that one! :)

This part made me laugh:
quote:
(in the public baths, the Lliiran is the guy who cheerfully comments on the sizes of all the penises around him - - and his own).

Heh heh.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  13:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Awesome. Lliira's my favourite diety too. Thank you very much for the response. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  15:12:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
That lore actually makes Lliira a more attractive deity to me, as well. I'd not paid much attention to her, before.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  01:43:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, all. This time, Ed makes reply to GothicDan’s post: “To the great and wonderful Ed Greenwood: I was considering making a Sun Elf character for roleplay (and possibly later as the main character in a writing piece), and in looking over possible Gold Elf Houses, Alastrarra caught my eye. I know that this House played a major part in Elminster's past (a la the novel). But I was wondering, is there any information known to you about the House as it stands today, in modern Faerun? Are they powerful? Prevalent? Weak? Declining? Primarily resident in Evermeet only, or also with branches in Silverymoon and/or Evereska? Connections to the Eldreth Veluuthra?
Any knowledge at all would be very much appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!”
Ed speaks:

“The great and wonderful Ed Greenwood”? Don’t know the guy. I’m just Ed. :}
However, I probably am the best person alive to attempt to provide any new Realmslore about House Alastrarra. So, here goes:

Today, this family is small in numbers, considered “old, respected, and minor” (very much as their repitation has always been), and holds a low public profile, eschewing strong stands or actions in elven commerce, politics, or military ventures. So they wield little influence or power, but are respected (as “true, staunch” elves, representing well-behaved, conservative elven society).
There are no more than about sixteen Alastrarran elves left on Evermeet, but more than forty in Evereska - - where they dwell in sprawling mansions of shaped, living wood (trees and shrubs) in extensive landscaped gardens. A favourite family sport is magically taking falcon shape and hunting (not to slay, only to find, catch up to, and then turn away), and as a result most family members know the countryside around Evereska, and events there, very well. Some elderly female Alastrarran elves are expert weavers (and so make magical garments from time to time) and harp-makers (ditto).
The head of the house in Evermeet is the truly ancient elf Imrae “Starshoulders” Alastrarra (CG female sun elf Rgr4/Sor18, who is a tall, gaunt, frail, almost wraithlike friend to many she-elves, who come to sip wine with her and talk, thankful of a haven from the often-fierce gossip and feuding among highborn elf ladies - - because Imrae simply refuses to take part in such disputes, ignoring insults and slights, and being gently friendly to all). She’s a beloved friend to many, widely respected for her “gentle, loving” nature, and although she uses her influence in small ways all the time to patch up disputes and mend or strengthen friendships, she chooses to have no voice in the weightier politics of Evermeet.
The real day-to-day leader of House Alastrarra, however, is Olond Alastrarra, who heads the branch of the family in Evereska. A white-haired, vigorous LG male sun elf Rgr11/Wiz9 of grand voice, handsome features, arresting charisma, and masterfully shrewd and intrigue-mastering mind, he pays close attention to all that goes on in Evereska, and advises his kin in just what to say and how to act so as to maintain the family style of lying low and keeping out of trouble. Perhaps his favourite saying is: “We are Alastrarra. We say little, watch and learn much, do the right things - - and will endure when louder, prouder elves are fallen and swept away by their follies.” Most of Evereska thinks Olond cares for little more than his gardens, but all of House Alastrarra know better.
Possible successors to Olond include the young, energetic, and carefully diplomatic in public and loyal to Olond’s directives brothers Melander and Imyrar Alastrarra (Melander is a Rgr9 and Imyrar a Ftr6/Sor2). If Olond wants them to be at a particular feast or meeting to watch what happens, they;ll be there. If he wants them to jaunt (House Alastrarra knows the whereabouts and details of using many portals) halfway across Faerûn to procure something or speak to someone, they do so. With alacrity. They trust Olond (and their trust is not misplaced) to better House Alastrarra and all elves, and find purpose and meaning in serving him.
. . .

I’ve split Ed’s reply here, to avoid running into the post size limit, and will provide scribes with the second half tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  01:56:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oooh! I love it.

Great stuff Ed. I sense a House Alastrarra "lore-drop" coming in my campaign very, very soon.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  02:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Yeah, that was a great lore block.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  03:36:06  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Excellent ! One of my games has been centered in Evermeet and Evereska.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  04:08:19  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Wow, thank you so much Ed! (Great and wonderful nonetheless!)

I really like how you've characterized Alastrarra so far - the fact that their influence is centered in Evereska is really fitting wonderfully into the character's background. That's where I was 'planning' the primary Alastrarra manse to be before you commented. The fact that there's a good deal of evidence for it is amazing!

And I really like the dichotomy of the 'two' house heads. Very different figures, but both very commendable and capable!

I can't wait to see the 'rest'. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  04:20:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, another question occurs to me... What about Realmsfolk who are paralyzed, specifically from the waist down? Do wheelchairs exist in the Realms? Are there any other resources, particularly magical ones? How are these folk treated? And have their ever been any prominent paralyzed people, particularly mages? (Alliteration not intended!)

As always, thanks for your time and lore!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  05:50:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
For Ed...

I'm more than a little hesitant to add to my own backlog of questions for Ed to answer ... but a discussion with a fellow scribe over an aspect in another setting got me thinking about how this aspect is reflected in the Realms.

It's about inbreeding, specifically... among the many royal families -- human and demihuman -- and/or long established noble families across the Realms. I know about instances of inbreeding in published Realms material already, for example... like that which is somewhat common among long isolated Underdark races, as well as the inbreeding that occurs among the ruling class of the Gugari people in the Hordelands. There are slight references in other sources... mostly with regard to noble families looking to keep favorable traits within their own family, but I'm looking more for Ed's personal take here and how he's handled the concept in his home Realms campaign, as well as any additional thoughts and/or lore he'd like to sure with me.

I realise this can be a sensitive subject, and if you feel it's inappropriate to answer here, I'll understand if you do not wish to elaborate. However, I'm intrigued by this somewhat, and I'd like to learn a little more about how such an aspect is realised in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  11:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Dearest sages, scribes THO, and Ed

We all know that Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul were three mortals who became gods by absorbing parts of Jergal's portfolio, but when did this happen? Where did the three mortals come from?

Many obsequious thanks.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  12:35:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, another question occurs to me... What about Realmsfolk who are paralyzed, specifically from the waist down? Do wheelchairs exist in the Realms? Are there any other resources, particularly magical ones? How are these folk treated? And have their ever been any prominent paralyzed people, particularly mages? (Alliteration not intended!)

I recall Steven mentioning a Calishite wizard who'd lost his legs or that they were useless and so he used a small flying carpet for mobility. This reference is somewhere in either "Empires of the Shining Sea" or "Calimport".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  13:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I recall Steven mentioning a Calishite wizard who'd lost his legs or that they were useless and so he used a small flying carpet for mobility. This reference is somewhere in either "Empires of the Shining Sea" or "Calimport".

-- George Krashos

Sarsor yn Rogir el Maqaav, or Sarsor the Legless. Detailed in Calimport.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  14:42:00  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul were three mortals who became gods by absorbing parts of Jergal's portfolio, but when did this happen? Where did the three mortals come from?

If they were adventurers, they may be the most successful party in all of Faerunian history (by purely amoral standards, of course.)

Edited by - RodOdom on 31 Jul 2006 14:42:39
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  03:23:02  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Anyone know if a write up has ever been done on the origin/history of Centaurs in Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  03:52:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Here’s the rest of Ed’s Realmslore reply to GothicDan, re. more information on present-day House Alastrarra:

There are no known connections between any Alastrarran elf and the Eldreth Veluuthra. Nor does the house have “branches” outside Evermeet and Evereska.
The family DOES, however, embrace the tradition that “restless younglings should seek and find themselves, where’er their feet may lead,” and accordingly doesn’t shun young Alastrarran elves who go off adventuring. Wherefore there are lone members of House Alastrarra in Silverymoon and somewhere in the Thousand Swords south of Altumbel (plus anywhere else you’d like to place PC Alastrarra elves, in your campaign).
Faerendil Alastrarra (“Faeren” to his friends) is a CG male sun elf Ftr7/Rog5/Wild Scout 2 who dwells in Silverymoon, making a living as a guide assisting merchants who prefer to “travel the back ways” between the Gem of the North and other settlements in the Marches (usually because they have valuable or illicit cargoes that Faeren carefully doesn’t ask about). He’s an avid fan of adventurers, loves to meet visiting adventurers and hear of their exploits, and dreams of acquitting himself ably in some dangerous, splendid adventure. Soon.
Nurue Alastrarra (“Nue” to friends) is a CG female sun elf Rog2/Sor9 whose glossy raven-dark hair reaches to her ankles, and whose blazing golden eyes peer sensually and challengingly out at the world from under black, prominent brows. A hedonist who loves all manner of sensual experiences with partners of many races, she wandered the Inner Sea ports sampling festhalls, Loviatran whipping rituals, and just about everything else. She slew a drunken loxo who raped her in Soorenar, and fled from arrest for this (the loxo was a favourite trusted servant of one of the richest merchants of Soorenar, Mharaunkh Myrtalis) onto a merchant ship that turned out to be a pirate vessel. The crew of the [[Bright Sail of Neldar]] loved her (and she, them), and for most of a season she sailed with them, until the ship was wrecked on a shoal in the Thousand Swords, in a fierce storm. Neldar and most of his crew drowned, but Nue and a handful of pirates made it ashore in one of the ship’s boats. She has resumed her wandering life, shedding pirates who used their swords (and so ran afoul of local fisherfolk and villagers) where Nue used her charms, and is still exploring, seeking adventure, and wondering what the Yuirwood - - and the court of The Simbul - - are like.

So saith Ed. Who happily generates reams of such lore when asked (and not too busy: churning out books and books of it is, after all, his livelihood, and - - even to a longtime editor like me - - his schedule is awesomely busy).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  04:12:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Just - wow.

The sheer depth of those NPCs - Ed, you're amazing!

Thank you so much. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  04:20:05  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Great lore which leads me to wonder in Faerun could one Nurue-like person have trained at a monastery in one place, spend years adventurering and then return to the monastic life style. Basically in Faerun could one be monk while young/orphan and not find it appealing then after adventuring say as ranger decide settle down and return to such monastic lifestyle. Does the Monk restriction in D&D overwrite realms living in preventing one from taking monk levels after cross-classing?

Damn, raped by a Loxo, rape is bad period but that must be horrible.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  20:52:57  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi again,

So, again I quote this 2004 answer :
quote:

It's very important that gamers not follow their real-world (usually monotheistic) thinking when considering Faerunian situations: the Realms is pantheistic, and "everyone knows" ALL the gods (at least of one's own race) "really exist." Unlike our real world, there's no denying that the folk praying to another god next door aren't just as correct as "we" are, because often "we" will also be praying to that other deity soon (if only for appeasement). The faith lies in believing this or that personal, dream-vision-induced, or priestly interpretation of the deity's will or intentions or prohibitions, not in believing the god exists.

First, this time I would like Ed to elaborate on the last sentence, i.e. what Faith is all about in the realms, knowing that not only the worshipers/priests/clerics known that Gods exists, but every single man they would want to "convert". So many times I have heard from peoples that dislike the Realms that (even more with the ToT) Faith in the Realms doesn't have any purpose.

Second, our discussion have lead me to think about the difference in their effects of the Power and the Art. We know the source is different, but why the effects are so much ? Why "arcane" healing aren't popular, or why Kossuth's worshipers doesn't have access to "divine" fireballs ? The real questions is of course, does this derive only from (A)D&D class system / balance issues ?

Corollary to the second, if we supposed these D&D limitations and remove them, I would naturally create deity-tailored "spells" list. My question here, is how the portfolio/dogma of the deity should influence these lists ? For example, should Talos, as the God of Destruction, refuse to grant healing spells to his worshipers ? Was the AD&D Major/Minor sphere system better fitted to the Realms ?

Thanks for all your answers..

P.S. If by November, you didn't get the time to look at those recent questions, I'll have to ask you them directly Too bad my English speaking is not as good as my Enligh writing

Edited by - Skeptic on 01 Aug 2006 20:59:02
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  22:48:57  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Nurue Alastrarra (“Nue” to friends) is a CG female sun elf Rog2/Sor9 whose glossy raven-dark hair reaches to her ankles, and whose blazing golden eyes peer sensually and challengingly out at the world from under black, prominent brows. A hedonist who loves all manner of sensual experiences with partners of many races, she wandered the Inner Sea ports sampling festhalls, Loviatran whipping rituals, and just about everything else.

Given how I've seen gold/sun elves portrayed in several Realms novels, I wonder how scandalous most would find Lady Nurue? :)

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  23:07:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Note that the majority of Sun/Gold Elves portrayed in novels have been portrayed in hyperbole and are isolated cases. For a better look at the broader spectrum of Sun Elven culture, I highly recommend you read Ed's "Evermeet" supplement. :)

Even Sun Elven Matriarchs can kiss humans if they play music well enough. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Evil Knight
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Evil Knight's Homepage Send Evil Knight a Private Message
dear Ed,

When is your next book signing in California? Where is it, because i would like you to auto my books! I also want to meet because you are a very very xcellent writer!

Please respond
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:21:08  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,
I've recently been looking through Power of Faerun with particular interest in the Heralds section and am wondering whether the Heralds (in the context of the over-arching organisation) are humano-centric - ie. only keep track of human related heraldry (even in mixed populations) - or whether they maintain a broader purview. Which leads into a couple of questions :)

How far back beyond their founding would any records of the Heralds stretch (and how accurate might they be - are they that interested in confirming any snippets of lore they might uncover relating to heraldic lines before their official records begin)?

Is there any Herald prescence in exclusively non-human settlements, eg. Evermeet, Evereska, Luiren, The Great Rift etc.? Or even in predominently non-human places? If not, then do the Heralds communicate at all with the equivalent heraldic lore keepers of other races - and who might these lore keepers be?

Hmm, possibly more than a couple of questions :) and I'm sure I'll think of yet more in the future.

The recent House Alastrarra reply was lovely, Might we possibly see more of a similar nature in Realmslore columns, perchance?

Many thanks as always,
Hunter

Edited by - HunterOfStorms on 02 Aug 2006 02:22:00
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HunterOfStorms

The recent House Alastrarra reply was lovely, Might we possibly see more of a similar nature in Realmslore columns, perchance?

Agreed, and I second that request.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:48:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed happened to be at work on something that allowed him to make swift answer to creatvmind’s query: “If not NDA and you are creator of him, is Gwaeron Windstorm his truename and if no can you hint at one...hee hee.”
Ed replies:

Yes, I did create Gwaeron Windstrom. His truename is “Aarthon.” Shhh, don’t tell anyone. :}

So saith Ed, who has happily crept around deep woods a time or two. And spent some summers as a Service Scout and later as Camp Ranger to many campers. I’ve never forgotten him walking up to us in the pitch darkness, silently in moccassins on a beaten dirt path, holding up a rotting log on which a CRAWLING phosphorescent fungus was glowing. He set it down beside us, and after we’d chatted for an hour or so about life, the universe, and the usual everythings, the fungus had migrated half off the log . . .
I've passed on all the recent scribes' comments and questions to Ed. As for him doing something similar to House Alastrarra in the Realmslore columns: he'll not be able to do anything soon, because he's handed in all the columns currently contracted, so as to "win" himself time to write three novels and one top-secret project he's told me not even a little bitty hint about!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000