Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  08:23:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
My dear lady Hooded One, I have a rather horrible question for Ed that I will have full understanding of if he declines to answer out of overwork and time.

I was thinking about the geology of the Faerunian mountains and I wondered, what is the structure of the various mountain ranges when it comes to rock types?

As I said, horrible question.

Jorkens
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
I have question for Ed (somewhat inspired by Jorkens' question). What parts of the world are known to have many earthquakes and volcanos? Does Faerun have tectonic plates that cause seismic activity? If so, where are they located?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  10:32:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I have question for Ed (somewhat inspired by Jorkens' question). What parts of the world are known to have many earthquakes and volcanos? Does Faerun have tectonic plates that cause seismic activity? If so, where are they located?

As I recall, Kuje, Wooly and I have a fairly similar series of questions pending for Ed already -- from mid-2005.

We really weren't asking about specific locations however, more about the activity behind such occurences in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jul 2006 10:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  11:35:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
For the first time in a while, we have a new chapter for "Oroon Rising."

Oroon Rising - Chap. 16

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  16:19:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

As I recall, Kuje, Wooly and I have a fairly similar series of questions pending for Ed already -- from mid-2005.

We really weren't asking about specific locations however, more about the activity behind such occurences in the Realms.

Eytan can also read the December 14th, 2004 reply. There has been volcano's mentioned in the lore and on the old maps.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  16:30:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Eytan can also read the December 14th, 2004 reply. There has been volcano's mentioned in the lore and on the old maps.

All the maps in fact -- 1e, 2e and 3e.

The volcanoes that immediately come to mind are the Peaks of Flame, in Chult. And the Arnrock as well, in the Lake of Steam. The Smoking Mountains in southern Unther.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  22:45:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
I know of the individual volcanos. I'm more interested in knowing if Faerun follows a similar kindof tectonic pattern as our world - not necessarily the same pattern, but whether or not there are plates that collide to cause earthquakes and other seismic activity.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  22:46:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Hm . . . I seem to remember someone else asking this as well . . . who was that?
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  23:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
Heh, I've also voiced interest in earthquake activity - as well as hurricanes and typhoons and such natural disasters. With all these queries on the same subject, I get the feeling that Ed is deliberately not answering for a reason: to not give stuff away that will (hopefully) be detailed soon, without giving us the basic NDA reply. Just wishful thinking, of course...

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  00:03:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Heh, I've also voiced interest in earthquake activity - as well as hurricanes and typhoons and such natural disasters. With all these queries on the same subject, I get the feeling that Ed is deliberately not answering for a reason: to not give stuff away that will (hopefully) be detailed soon, without giving us the basic NDA reply. Just wishful thinking, of course...

There's also his initial reaction to my question about it. It was something along the lines of "Don't give the other guys more ideas! I don't want my setting broken!"

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  00:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Thank you ever so much Ed & The gracious Hooded One for the answers to my questions on taxes. I am very grateful at the response, and am delighted still further to learn of a future Realmslore article on the subject. Much obliged!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  04:22:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles a very interesting query from Chyron: “The official roll of years stops in 1600. Much has been written in terms of the past, including some jaunts involving time-travel. But I wonder how Mr. Greenwood sees time and 'the future' in the Realms.
Do the realms have a future? Is the progression of things (time - technology) slower? Is Faerun ever likely to move beyond 1600? In a Faerun 2001 DR does he forsee world of orcs in suits, skyscrapers, taxis, technology and magic (the closest gaming equivalent I can think of is Shadowrun) or is the world moving at a much slower pace and never meant to achieve such a period in his mind?
Ed replies:

Chyron, the Realms DO have a future. NDAs prevent me from saying anything about what I’m working on beyond what Wizards of the Coast has publicly revealed, but suffice it to say that many people are always planning ahead for the Realms, thinking of what will happen both “in-game” and in terms of FR products, and the Realms is “moving ahead” technologically.
This “progress” may seem achingly slow to some, but it should always be remembered that the Realms is NOT an analogy or copy of Earth; what we may see as medieval in some ways, and Renaissance in others, when looking at Faerûn, is inevitably seeing things from our point of view: the Realms may develop in very different ways than the real world did. Also, society may be moving and changing very rapidly right now in the real world, and communications make this readily apparent to most - - but for much of human history, the changes didn’t SEEM to be moving ahead all that fast, most of the time, to people living in the middle of them.
I can say that the published Realms has in the past, and will in the future (including the very near future) include mentions of various “inventions” that do change life in the Realms, in ways large and small. The Realms IS constantly changing, and not moving to a Great Big End in my mind (various big changes, yes; an endpoint: no).
Wooly Rupert posted a very good and entirely correct response to you; there are indeed more years on the Roll than have been published yet (though who knows when we’ll get to them?). I can reveal that as recently as last week I was chuckling with another Realms creator over the Roll of Years, and once again planning an event (not a big one; not everything Shakes the Realms) to match a year name.
Obviously, (for reasons of prudence, professionalism, and legal commitments, to say nothing of not wanting to ruin the ongoing, ever-unfolding party for us all) I can’t say much more.
So I’ll just stress once again: the presence of magic that works in the Realms, and gods who have personalities and desires and the power to advance them, may tug the “march of technology” in the Realms into very different paths than it took in our real world. We’ll all just have to see.

So saith Ed. Who’s obviously choosing his words very carefully. And once again underscoring the point that although to work as entertainment for us all the Realms have to evoke our dreams or fantasies of some real-world places and times, the Realms are NOT a coherent echo or copy of our real-world, and may “work” and turn out very differently. As always: stay tuned.
Ed penned this before seeing your query, Winterfox, so although this might seem a reply of sorts, he'll no doubt write a specific response to you. The specific passage of 1st Ed FR text that was "quoted at you," that you passed on, was written by Jeff Grubb, as I recall.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  05:13:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And once more I return, with queries... Something in Blackstaff got me to wondering about the Chosen of Mystra, and their knowledge/awareness of each other...

Do the Chosen have any kind of awareness of where other Chosen are in the Realms? If two Chosen have never had any prior contact, will they, upon meeting for the first time, recognize each other as Chosen? Have there ever been any Chosen who, by accident or by design, have been hidden from the other Chosen?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  05:21:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And once more I return, with queries... Something in Blackstaff got me to wondering about the Chosen of Mystra, and their knowledge/awareness of each other...

Do the Chosen have any kind of awareness of where other Chosen are in the Realms? If two Chosen have never had any prior contact, will they, upon meeting for the first time, recognize each other as Chosen? Have there ever been any Chosen who, by accident or by design, have been hidden from the other Chosen?

Simbul and Elminster. :) They tried to kill each other at one point. I believe it's in Seven Sisters..... Even so, that sourcebook says that they lost contact with the Simbul for 400 years or so.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Jul 2006 05:26:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  06:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Simbul and Elminster. :) They tried to kill each other at one point. I believe it's in Seven Sisters..... Even so, that sourcebook says that they lost contact with the Simbul for 400 years or so.

Elminster in Hell has a memory about this too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  06:40:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Elminster in Hell has a memory about this too.

That's where it is then. :) I was thinking it was either in Seven Sister's or El in Hell but I wasn't sure which one it was.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:48:49  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi, let me first introduce what brings my new question for Ed.

Recently a player that was part of all of my FR campaigns in the last 10 years said to me that he was tired of the "Magic as Technology" featured in the realms.

At first, I said to him that magic wasn't used as much as technology as he said (I was thinking at Eberron and others) but he replied me with Aurora and various examples coming from the Volo's guides (penned by Ed himself) including the War Wizards using spells to move lumbers in Suzail to various magical wards (some working like fire extinguisher) in "every" humble inns of the Savage North.

I had already noticed that the Volo's guides serie (and Aurora and maybe a few other sourcebook, like Skullport) have a much higher "Magic as Technology and Magic Everywhere" feel than say the 1e/2e/3e main campaign settings books.

Then we moved on to talk about how much the common folks of the realms known (instead of believe) about all this magic all over the place. I replied that it was very different from places to places, let's say from a citizen of Waterdeep or Halarahh than a farmer in Cormyr/Sembia.

Sorry for this long introduction, now what I would like to hear from Ed :

1) I would like him to discuss the feel he really wanted for the Realms usage of magic and how he explains the difference we see (and if we are wrong, tell us why) in the various products (many of them include him as a designer).

2) I would like him to give a more detailed version of the "How common folks (humans one, rural and city dwellers) view the different fantasy aspects of the Realms" (others intelligent races, monsters, magic, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So would that be a No? lol.

But to sort of further the question my self, what of the Chosen in general, as in from the other Deities, or at the very least 'sense' something?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  15:05:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
This time, Ed reaches back to November of 2005, to answer Sourcemaster2’s questions: “1) Is there any common organization for the fey of Faerun? Do they have a leader? How do the different races interact? How do druids rank within fey society? How about half-breeds? Any random fey details would be useful.
2) Are magical items created by priests any different than those of arcane origins? Specifically, if an item blessed by a benign clergy falls into the hands of an evil priest or person, will the deity care, or even take steps to get it back? I don't necessarily mean artifacts or major devices; would, for example, a Selunite-forged sword falling into a Malarite's hands cause consequences?
3) This question may have been answered already, but does incarnum have a place in the Realms? If so, how does it relate to magic in general? Is it like psionics, in that it doesn't require divine intervention/approval to use, or does Mystra or another deity control it?”
Ed replies:

1. No, the fey have no common organization or single dominant leader. They have many would-be leaders, of course, but as most fey seem to have a strong individualistic streak, they don’t have all that many would-be followers to make those wannabe leaders dominant. :}
If you’re familiar with THE LORD OF THE RINGS, think of the fey as Tom Bombadil: NOT the all-powerful side of him, but the close-to-nature, chosen-to-be-apart-from-the-politics-and-struggles-of-others side. The fey tend to resist rankings and even commonly-accepted standards; to most, everyone is judged and dealt with on a personal basis. To some, blood descent and purity is very important, and they might treat half-breeds haughtily or with hostility. To most, bloodlines don’t matter, personalities do. A strange fey is judged by their personal behavior, not their heritage.
Obviously I’m speaking in generalizations here. When brought down to specifics, asking about the fey is like asking about the real-world human race - - that is, there are hundreds of correct and contradictory answers to all of your questions about them.
2. Most aren’t, but they can be. It depends on the details of their creation (did the clergy intend this item to be used only by those of their faith or alignment? does their deity agree with that intent? did their deity tell or show them how to give the item those properties? do church records available to the creating clergy tell how to make the item behave so?). The majority of temple-made items DON’T react any differently when in the hands of non-believers, but specific uses of them may attract the attention of a deity or servitor beings. In general, divine etiquette seems to be that gods inspire mortals to be their agents in recovering items or punishing or thwarting those who (in their eyes) “misuse” them, rather than stepping in themselves, though Realms fiction has shown us many exceptions to this “rule.”
Again, I’m speaking generally. There are obviously powerful, important “holy” items that clergies and deities will value more highly; these items may even have sentience of their own, and work against bearers of the “wrong” faith, race, alignment, or intent.
3. Incarnum has a place in the Realms if you want it to, as I said in a previous answer. It co-exists with the Weave (“normal” spellcasting, as set forth in the PLAYER’S HANDBOOK and DUNGEON MASTER’S GUIDE), alongside it, without Mystra or any other deity controlling it. So, no, it doesn't require divine intervention or approval to use or have - - unless you as a DM want things to be different in your Realms. It should be much rarer than “usual” arcane and divine spellcasting; if it were prevalent, it would have been put into the “root” sourcebooks.

So saith Ed. Who adroitly avoided some NDAs in those replies (Sourcemaster2, if they seem a trifle stilted, that’s why). Oh, and Sage: sorry, no. No ASCII art. You’ll just have to dream . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Jul 2006 15:08:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  16:53:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and Sage: sorry, no. No ASCII art. You’ll just have to dream . . .
love to all,
THO
Heh.

You know, my Lady... I have quite the vivid imagination.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  04:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.P.S. Wooly, here I am, lounging. (I'll describe myself in more detail privately, soon. Promise.)
Hey... no fair! That's cheating.

Are you any good at ASCII Art THO? I foresee some interesting possibilities.

*Ahem* Sage, you old... now wait, ummm, any chance that you would send me such art of Lady THO?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  04:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

I know of the individual volcanos. I'm more interested in knowing if Faerun follows a similar kindof tectonic pattern as our world - not necessarily the same pattern, but whether or not there are plates that collide to cause earthquakes and other seismic activity.

Perhaps we might see this information put to use in one of the future Realms products, Eytan?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  06:46:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Perhaps we might see this information put to use in one of the future Realms products, Eytan?

I am not currently working on a realms book, but I guess that's not outside the realm of possibility.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  14:19:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Jamallo Kreen recently posted: “Please correct me if I'm wrong, Ed, but my understanding is that one can -- without violating the time stream -- even go back in time to Netheril, study with an archwizard for a year and then come back with cool new tricks to show off at one's New Year's Eve party. Is it not so, or does Mystra purge one's memory of spells learned in the past? One can imagine what hilarity would ensue if such a time travelling magical apprentice returned to 1374 and then happened to bump into Tabra, whom he knew from their student days in jolly old Netheril. Apropos of which hilarity, has Tabra cast Iolaum's longevity more than once, or was her casting of it centuries ago the only casting of it which she has done?”
Ed replies:

Unfortunately for would-be avid scholars, “the new” Mystra and Azuth, having observed and discussed some previous mortal doings and experiences (and the consequences of same) have now both agreed to neatly fix matters so that arcane spellcasters moving into the past “leave their lore behind them.” In other words, mortal spellcasters arrive back in the past knowing NOTHING about magic, not even recalling their aptitude for it (they still have that aptitude, but unless circumstances point it out to them, they have “forgotten” that they have it - - along with all memorized spells, of course!).
So they COULD study, back in the past, but it would be as green novices - - and for each year spent “back in the past” studying, their chances of returning sane decrease. In effect, the various deities of magic allow someone who jaunts back into the past for a specific bit of information (a word of activation/command word, a specific conversation between mages, the whereabouts of a hidden magic item, and the like) to be able to “bring it back,” but NOT to profitably study in the past to improve performance in the present.
And yes, Tabra HAS cast Iolaum’s longevity more than once. She’s cast it twice, but the second casting is NDA.

So saith Ed. Who was not all that pleased with chronomancy, as I recall . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  00:31:01  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Greetings once more, Ed and THO. I come bearing yet another inconsequential question :), this time relating to gemstones and their possible significance, since I've been browsing older editions of lore with Ed's descriptions of gems and their possible uses.

While I seem to recall someone asking a question relating to birthstones in the Realms, I'm interested in knowing whether any gems are especially associated with particular gods. For example are there any gems/minerals which are considered particularly lucky, potent or sacred by the clergy as relating to their own god specifically - rather than general use in divine magics?

Once again I whole-heartedly thank Ed for his time and detail, and THO for being our post rider. Of the few questions I've submitted here, if Ed has not answered directly then answers have serendipitously appeared in his new Realmslore or Dragon articles.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:01:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HunterOfStorms

Greetings once more, Ed and THO. I come bearing yet another inconsequential question :), this time relating to gemstones and their possible significance, since I've been browsing older editions of lore with Ed's descriptions of gems and their possible uses.

While I seem to recall someone asking a question relating to birthstones in the Realms, I'm interested in knowing whether any gems are especially associated with particular gods. For example are there any gems/minerals which are considered particularly lucky, potent or sacred by the clergy as relating to their own god specifically - rather than general use in divine magics?

Once again I whole-heartedly thank Ed for his time and detail, and THO for being our post rider. Of the few questions I've submitted here, if Ed has not answered directly then answers have serendipitously appeared in his new Realmslore or Dragon articles.

Hunter

Faiths & Avatars by Julia Martin and Eric Boyd notes what gemstones are used by deities to pass on their 'favor'. See the individual deity write-ups.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

renatoca
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:04:12  Show Profile  Visit renatoca's Homepage Send renatoca a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I have just read Elminster's Daughter (and i liked a lot! :-)) and just after that i read Spellfire(Super good too :oD), and a question just keep blinking in my mind and here it is:

Simbul said to Elminster in Elminster's Daughter that she was just waiting him notice her and her's love, but at the spellfire she had a night with him, but spellfire comes before Elm's Daughter... and i can't just understand that, if he hasn't seen her what has he? so please explain it for me, pleaseee! :-)
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  01:38:51  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

...For example are there any gems/minerals which are considered particularly lucky, potent or sacred by the clergy as relating to their own god specifically...

Faiths & Avatars by Julia Martin and Eric Boyd notes what gemstones are used by deities to pass on their 'favor'. See the individual deity write-ups.

-- George Krashos

A web enhancement found here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a has more info.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  03:21:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Dagnirion recently posted: “Hey, Great Ed! Howareya? Don't remember if I ever asked, or not...either way, it doesn't matter too much. Anyway, could you share with us some of the common Elven food dishes of Evermeet and Evereska? Thanks!”
Ed replies:

Certainly. Elves have created and refined a huge variety of incredibly complicated “special feast dishes” (some involving cantrips that allow dry ingredients to be “breezed” [a human observer would probably describe this as ‘swirl-mixed’] in midair), so I’ll confine myself here just to a modest selection of plain ‘everyday’ fare. Please note that the drinking of wines is common with most meals, both dry wines with the main fare and sweet dessert wines to finish - - and that (to elves; humans and halflings may find them potent indeed) most wines aren’t nearly as readily intoxicating as most human wines are, to humans.

Quaffs/Slakes (non-alcoholic):
Sprucebark quaff (cleanses palate/freshens breath before meals and after)
Mintwater
various berry-juice drinks (unfermented)

Vegetables (eaten raw, sometimes diced and fried with herbs and other vegetables):
Cress
Leek (also chives, hotwhips [spring onions], searshoots [wild Faerûnian vine onions]: these last are a staple of elven cuisine, and if left to dry until fall, can grow as hot as garlic, but never give elves “garlic breath”)
Parsley
Coushoots (the green, growing “new” shoots of certain forest vines, such as Chokevine and Thaelthorn)
Greenspear (asparagus, a staple with many elves, both raw and steamed with herbs)
various ferns, from fiddleheads to stewed broadleaves
Brownbuds (brown Faerûnian wild forest radishes)

Fruits:
Many sorts of berries
Rhubarb
Roseapple (a mild-flavored apple-like fruit that grows at the thorny junctures of a particular sort of forest vine, the “rosethorn,” that grows abundantly in the Heartlands)

Soups (usually served cold):
Leek
Turtle
Blalatha (certain mushrooms, diced and then boiled)
Darblalatha (certain mushrooms, diced, then fried with leeks, and then the mixed result is boiled)
Haendur (simmered glow worms, seasoned with particular sharp-tasting leaves)
Blackbark (literally, the stewed bark of four or five different sorts of forest bushes; tastes and looks a little like a thick beef stew)
Snake (four sorts, beheaded and then boiled until skins separate from flesh; skins, like heads, are discarded)

Meat and Fish Dishes (some elves eat flesh, some do not):
Seared Rabbit
Thaenwing (spiced-and-diced grouse, partridge, quail, and woodguth [wild turkey]; most elves are revolted at the thought of eating owls, whom they deem “intelligent souls,” and believe dining on raptors brings misfortune on oneself and one’s kin)
Silvereyes (fish stew, of silverflash and other small forest stream fish)
Sornstag (roasted hotspice [equivalent of curried] venison)
Surkyl (beaver: belly-slashed to insert leek and herbs, then rolled in clay and fire-baked, to remove hide and quills with hardened mud shell)
Hooroun (moose, always marinated with particular herbs to counteract the natural seasonal tastes of spruce in winter and spring [when moose have been eating evergreen tips] and swamp in summer and fall [when moose have been grazing on swamp vegetation])
Lulleth (muskrat and equivalents [from shrews and voles to “branchcats,” which are a tree-climbing Faerûnian cross between a mink and a raccoon], usually simmered into a thick stew; most elves dislike boar, but when they do eat it, treat it in this same way)
Groundsnake (beheaded and roasted on skewers over a fire)

Trail Food:
various nuts and dried berries
mintnut cheese
Taece (fire-dried tiny forest-stream fish, that look a little like brown, finger-length sardines, contain a lot of fat, and are “crunched” [eaten whole, bones and all])
Marruth (sometimes disparagingly called “root pies” by dwarves and humans): pastries into which cooked spiced and herbed mashes of vegetables have been baked, and then let cool, and then rolled into rallow leaves (heavy, oily, waterproof broadleaves) to keep them from rotting, and carried for eating cold when on the move

Desserts:
Mint jelly
tarts made of various berries, sweetened with a mash of berry juices

I could go on at length, but I’m afraid I haven’t the time just now to set down a lot of detailed recipes, so I hope this helps. Elven cuisine is more sophisticated than human, though it uses almost no non-forest ingredients, so if you have to improvise, look at some of the dishes whipped up on, say, IRON CHEF and think of “forest-friendly equivalent ways” of making some of them.

So saith Ed. Who must be tearingly busy right now, to resist giving you recipes!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  04:16:08  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Hunter

-- George Krashos

Thanks George :)
I'll have to source a copy. I'd hadn't realised the book was so detailed, I've been looking at gem descriptions themselves.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000