Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:30:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
Dargoth, before I hand your latest on to Ed, “richest” how?
Most loved? Most influential? Owner of the most land and hard assets? Possessor of the most coins? Gems? Raw ore, as yet unmined? Human, demi-human, and humanoid races only? Or dragons and giants, long-existing liches, et al included?

Mainly "Owner of the most land and hard assets, Possessor of the most coins and Gems Gems"

So rich Finicially

Who are the Bill Gates, Rupert Mudorchs and Donald Trumps etc of Faerun.

They can be of any Race

I'd bet you money we'll see a note on this in Power of Faerun...

Edited by - Arivia on 13 Jan 2006 23:45:26
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:42:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Quick question to something I have never realised before

is there a link between Boaresky Bridge and the Obarskyr family? a hidden secret that has never come to light given the similarity of the names? A wayward prince who decided to have fun/seek his fortune rather than be cooped up with the Mage Royal learning history etc and subtley changed his name to be 'unrecognised'?

(or, is it more likely just some names Ed played around with when making up, errr designing the Realms )

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:24:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
This is not Canon, but I would guess that Malar wouldn't have burial rites as such. The nature (no pun intended) of their faith is the wild and extreme, fittest survive etc.

I would think that most Malarites don't die of old age in their beds (in fact probably not any), but in the wild, hunting and stalking a beast/traveller/adventurer (kill or be killed etc).

My other thought would be as a ritual of slaughter (The Sacred Hunt) by fellow Malarites who hunt the 'infirm' one. As (I see) part of their doctrine is to keep only the young and fit alive, to ensure health and vibrancy in nature - an overlooked part of Malar worship IMHO and how much of a benefit they have in keeping wild animals alive for the benifet of others, by hunting and slaying genetically malformed or old and infirm deer/elk/boar/insert other furry critter that people hunt for food etc. They ensure that herds of wild animals are in the best health as possible and therfore their progeny also have the best start in life.

re The Sacred Hunt - again I am guessing, but I would assume that the body once slain is left so allowing others (animals/birds/insects/plants and soil to feed on it and share its vitality to all. I can't imagine it being gathered up, and put in a tomb/grave in a service of remembrance - I have no doubt that celebration/feasting/toasting of the slain would take place by the Hunters, but IMC the body would be left for nature to sort out.

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

EDIT: another wild thought (or two) just popped in my head .... re the Sacred Hunt, if the prey manage to survive the pack either by eluding them in a long chase or fighting them off, perhaps they are rewarded with a rebirth either in the body of one of the younger slain pack members they killed, or as a wild beast of their choice (similar to what happens to fallen/defeated Magisters who become dragons etc?).

Alternatively if they are killed a ritual of cremation might take place specifically tied to the heart, as this is where your 'courage' comes from? ("He has heart" or Wizard of Oz etc), maybe tied in with the creation of a magic item that instills bravery/freedom from fear/permanant prayer effect etc

Just some random musings

quote:
Originally posted by Pardan

I hope it's ok if I ask a new question, Ed;)

October 24, 2005 Ed discussed some of the burial and cremation practices of the deities. Malar wasn't one of them though. :(

[/quote]

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 14 Jan 2006 01:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:30:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

is there a link between Boaresky Bridge and the Obarskyr family? a hidden secret that has never come to light given the similarity of the names? A wayward prince who decided to have fun/seek his fortune rather than be cooped up with the Mage Royal learning history etc and subtley changed his name to be 'unrecognised'?

(or, is it more likely just some names Ed played around with when making up, errr designing the Realms )

Cheers

Damian

I asked this same question quite some time ago, and the answer is no - in fact it was Jeff Grubb who came up with the name of the Cormyr's royal family.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:31:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Cheers

Damian

:) Edit: Kajehase beat me to it but I supplied the actual quote. :)

"November 8, 2004: Hello, all. Thanks, Wooly; I knew I could count on you. I bring Ed’s latest reply, this to Kajehase from fair Sweden (a country Ed enjoyed visiting very much):

Sorry, Kajehase, it IS just a coincidence. The “Obarskyrs” have no relationship at all to “Boareskyr Bridge” (please note the ‘e’ in there). Jeff Grubb and his wife Kate Novak named the ruling family of Cormyr, and I named the place (after the long-ago adventurer Boareskyr [also my creation] who built the first bridge there). Ah, but you’re a daring scribe, if you’re going to try for the Lady Hooded’s leash. Me, I’d just walk up to her and ask for a kiss -- that usually gets you a kiss and then some.

So saith Ed, who’s busily blowing my cover again (reputation? Hah! Gone long ago, in one sense, and better than ever, in another).

love to all,
THO"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Jan 2006 00:32:53
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:35:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Thanks I haven't seen that response - glad its cleared up (one less wild idea bouncing around my head )

Cheers

Damian
ps which leads to the next question - was there an 'original' name for the ruling family of Cormyr? and if so, why did it get changed? (if this is answered elsewhere can someone point me in the right direction please so I can stop asking repeated questions? thanks in advance )

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

I asked this same question quite some time ago, and the answer is no - in fact it was Jeff Grubb who came up with the name of the Cormyr's royal family.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:43:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Thanks I haven't seen that response - glad its cleared up (one less wild idea bouncing around my head )

Oh that's not surprising, it's probably about 100 pages back

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  00:52:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Oh that's not surprising, it's probably about 100 pages back

Actually, it's from 2 years ago... so it's really buried. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  01:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
Ed, THO - a somewhat belated happy new year.

I was wondering what you could tell me about druid circles currently operating in the Dales - how many there are, where they are based, any particularly powerful figures, what deities in particular, if any, are venerated, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  01:53:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Ed, THO - a somewhat belated happy new year.

I was wondering what you could tell me about druid circles currently operating in the Dales - how many there are, where they are based, any particularly powerful figures, what deities in particular, if any, are venerated, etc.

Thank you in advance.

There was the one in Shadowdale but after the ToT's, it disbanded. :) See the 2e campaign box set.....

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  02:57:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time out, Ed tackles Eric Boyd’s New Years question: “What one bit of Realmslore or one story do you wish someone had asked you to relate?”
Ed speaks:

Hi, Eric! And happy very belated New Year back to you! (And to all who wished me thus.) As usual, you’ve handed me a toughie. The longest-standing answer has to be: I wish TSR had asked me to write endless novels of the adventurous life of Mirt, progressing from his early days to his Conan-like exploits with Durnan to his mercenary career to his present wheezing old rogue days. I STILL want a chance to write at least one Mirt novel. Dang it.
But then, I wish I’d been asked to do a long series of Knights of Myth Drannor novels (at least a dozen), so I could have explored their lives properly. I’m getting a “sort of” chance to do that now; scribes will understand that comment better by the time the third book is published.
As for the Realmslore: in general, I wish there had been a chance to explore, at length in print, what products get produced where, and all the trade routes, flows of goods, currents and prevailing winds, major underground and portal transportation routes . . . all of that.
Perhaps I can address all of these deficiencies, in time. However, I’m not getting any younger. :}

So saith Ed. No surprises for me here, but a good solid answer that I hope the folks at WotC read and heed. Well.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  03:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage Send Rowan a Private Message
Okay then Rupert, I'll take it over to the Sages forum.
Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Hello Ed and Lady Hooded One, and many thanks once again for all the Realmslore you provide us here!

I was wondering if Ed could give us a glimpse at dwarven grammar and vocabulary beyond what was in 'Dwarves Deep'? For example, such as how possessive/genetive case works in dwarven. Would 'Durlik's axe' be 'Durlikuld' or 'Durlikkuld'?

Maybe Ed has also written dwarven battle songs he would share with us? (would they prefer horns or drums, or perhaps some other instrument when marching to battle?)

Then I would like to ask some details about mines... are the mines railed in the Realms, and is there any difference between how dwarven mines differ from those of the other races? If the mines are not commonly 'railed', are elevators used to travel between 'levels'?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  15:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
quote:
Ladejarl, the presence of the wood elves has kept the Misty Forest a little light on human druids, but my notes record a handful

Bring my thanks to Ed m'Lady, hi has realy given me something to work with.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."

Edited by - Ladejarl on 14 Jan 2006 15:11:00
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  20:35:52  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Mr. Greenwood

The Armand from MM3 is said to occupy Faerun within the Anarouch desert, my question is how would you depict them culturally, does a female have breast/multiple breast-teats and give birth to one offspring only. Would twins or triplets be considered good fortune within a tribe? And what names would they have within their own langauge and within common if their names were translatable. Would their vocal speech be high pitched or guttural, all these things I ask from what you see within your mindseye.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  01:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Hail and well met!

I have a few questions about Chosen of Oghma (possibly answered elsewhere, so if so, will someone please supply me a link to the location?). Does Oghma currently have Chosen? What are the criteria he uses? Do they have the same perks which we have seen so much of among Mystra's Chosen (extended youth, special powers, etc.)? Are any of Oghma's Chosen potted plants?

I also have a question about Mystra/Midnight's memories: does Mystara-sub-2 remember the lives of Mystryl and Mystra-sub-1 as if they had occured to Her? Does She have a personal recollection of what it felt like to have Karsus attempt to usurp Her powers?

Apropos of Karsus, is there any self-aware trace of his consciousness left on Faerun (or in the Astral Plane)? The founders of Karse believed that it was so, and I am wondering if there is anything there for "modern" cultists to latch on to and adore.

Finally (for today!), of what deity is the idol in the Gorge of the Fallen Idol, and which culture erected it? Inquiring adventurers want to know!

I know, I'm always asking about the gods, but they are fascinating, Ed, just fascinating....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  01:37:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. This time, Ed makes swift reply re. the Latin question (egads, sounds like international geopolitics: "Tensions over The Latin Question deepened today when . . ."):

George, Jamallo Kreen, and all:
To save you looking up the Latin, the two opening quotations from ELMINSTER IN HELL in that tongue are as follows:
“confutatis maledictus, flammis acribus addictus” is from Mozart’s Requiem, and translates as “The damned and accursed are convicted to the flames of Hell.”
“etiam sanato vulnere cicatrix manet” translates as “Even when the wound has healed, the scar remains.”

So saith Ed, who adds that "pertinent to the tale" Latin epigrams decorate most of his Realms novels, awaiting the unwary.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  01:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Thanks to the day (Friday the 13th), I thought I'd query on something open-ended and then something a tech more specific:

Ed, are there any FR cultural and/or racial superstitions you'd care to share with us that we've not heard of? (Along the lines of "everyone" knows of if not exactly shares the superstition, ala "Friday the 13th is a day of unluck."

(Snip)

Take care, all, and have good weekends!

SES

I refer you to "a good read" entitled 13: The Story of the World's Most Popular Superstition, by Nathaniel Lachenmeyer (Thunder's Mouth Press, 2004). The fear of Friday the 13th arose in 20th century America and was a "manufactured" superstition; there is no good evidence of a fear of Friday the 13th before the 1920s.

Since Faerun is beginning to undergo the technological and social changes which correspond roughly to Earth's Renaissance, I suspect that many "new" superstitions are a-borning right now in the Realms, such as:

"It's bad luck to meet a Lantan Gnome" (he might be packing smokepowder, with all of its attendant dangers);

"It's bad luck to begin a journey wearing the color ______" (Azoun did and look what happened to him!);

"It's good luck to drink Maztican chocolate" (if you can afford it, you are probably in a socio-economic position of comfort already, so good things are probably happening to you anyway); etc.

Apropos of the latter "superstition," I expect that many chapbooks are being sold touting the wonderful medicinal powers of all sorts of new imports from Maztica and post-Crusade Kara-Tur. Many European fortunes were built on such products, and many of the nouveau riche perpetuated their memories through the endowment of libraries, schools, and museums. (Sir Hans Sloane comes to mind.) "The times they are a-changin'" in the Realms!

Alas, I cannot prove a word of it!

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  19:28:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi, I think Ed will like this one..

First, according to the flavor of the Realms (and not the current editions rules) does a cleric must includes the name of his deity in the "verbal component" of his spells ?

If yes, can he uses a more obscure alias ?

Second, when a spell mentions that the cleric must show his deity's symbol, can this symbol be disguised as a mundane item or even as another deity symbol ? (Of course in respect of the deity's dogma!)

These questions come from the cleric of Bane in my current campaign that doesn't like to live in Waterdeep (The party forced him to add a "illusion" effect on his full plate carved with his deity symbol )

Thanks..

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Jan 2006 19:31:04
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, everyone. This time, Ed makes swift reply re. the Latin question (egads, sounds like international geopolitics: "Tensions over The Latin Question deepened today when . . ."):

George, Jamallo Kreen, and all:
To save you looking up the Latin, the two opening quotations from ELMINSTER IN HELL in that tongue are as follows:
“confutatis maledictus, flammis acribus addictus” is from Mozart’s Requiem, and translates as “The damned and accursed are convicted to the flames of Hell.”
“etiam sanato vulnere cicatrix manet” translates as “Even when the wound has healed, the scar remains.”

So saith Ed, who adds that "pertinent to the tale" Latin epigrams decorate most of his Realms novels, awaiting the unwary.
love to all,
THO

Mozart doth "speak to my condition," as George Fox saith.

Make of that what you will.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  02:28:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed replies to these queries from Firhyanda: “Assuming that the star elves were to return to the Yuirwood en masse from their extradimensional exile, what would the reaction of the Aglarondan people and / or The Simbul be to such an event? Can you imagine any set of circumstances that would cause the star elves to annex Wizards’ Reach in the name of Aglarond kicking out the Red Wizards? How inclined would star elf society be to oppose slavery and / or the Red Wizards on moral grounds? How well did magic lore survive the exile of the star elves? Do they still have the ability to do high magic and are they inclined to? Thank you so much for the Realms, Mr. Greenwood.”
Ed speaks:

Firhyanda, you’re very welcome (though “Mr. Greenwood” is still my dad; I’m “Ed” :} ), and I hope you enjoy our shared playground for years to come. As for your questions (wince), I hope you’ll appreciate that NDAs prevent me from answering any of them too closely, theoretical or not. So with that said, here we go . . .
The reaction of The Simbul and the folk of Aglarond to any mass return of the star elves would of course chiefly depend on the behaviour of the star elves.
Assuming the elves weren’t openly hostile, it would one of (cautious) welcome, hoping the star elves would ‘cleanse’ the Yuirwood by inhabiting it and governing it, eliminating prowling monsters and preventing Thayan spying and creeping expansion.
I could indeed envisage the Wizards’ Reach being taken over by the star elves, who would immediately begin to “re-green” it, eliminate the worst monsters, pirates, brigands, and Thayans. This would occur because the star elves would want the space to expand into, and freedom from having Red Wizards on their doorsteps, not as part of officially allying with Aglarond (The Simbul would do her best to steer any hotheads among the folk of Aglarond from treating or speaking of the star elves as Aglarondan subjects at all, trying to establish the star elves as friendly independent allies and ignore the traditional claims of Aglarond to rulership of the Yuirwood).
Of course, all of this depends on the star elves not making war on Aglarond. If they were foolish enough to do so, they would wreck the human kingdom, but pay a huge price in doing so (thanks to The Simbul and all the arcane aid she could call on) - - and the Red Wizards would gleefully pounce on the weakened remnant and seize the entire peninsula.
Star elf society would oppose the Red Wizards out of disgust at the brutalization of the land (every bit of it put to agricultural or industrial use, remember?) the Thayans practice, the Red Wizards’ use of magic to dominate and oppress, and out of fear of being taken as slaves and worked to death or mind-reamed for their magical knowledge. They might or might not justify this on moral grounds (I don’t know, but strongly suspect they would dress up the reasons I’ve just listed in a “These Red Wizards are an abomination that must be shattered and swept away before all Faerûn is despoiled” guise).
I also don’t know how star elven magic (and the remembered lore and history of magic) has developed during their ‘time away.’ They DO retain powerful magic, but whether it’s “high magic plus” or twisted into something different is an open question at the moment; to some extent, high magic depends on being rooted in the land in which its practitioners dwell.
This all boils down to this: the morals, attitudes, social organization, and precise magical powers of the star elves remain largely mysterious, though we can safely assume they’ll be different from other elves, and will be magically powerful. As to all specifics: we’ll just have to wait and see.

So saith Ed, master of Realmslore. Who often spends hours at GenCons and with we Knights happily discussing “Realms what ifs” just like these, over mugs of hot soup, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or cider (Bailey’s for me, thank you). Think I’ll get out a mug now in celebration: here’s to you all!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  02:35:47  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Quick note for the Hooded Lady : You can remove from Ed stack of queries, the one about the Roaring Dragon House. It won't have anymore use in my current campaign and I know that he doesn't have too much spare time.

Edited by - Skeptic on 16 Jan 2006 02:37:21
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  06:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed of Greenwood,
Several months ago I asked You about locations in Iriaebor: "Where are placed all the locations apart from few of them that are marked on the Iriaebor's map in FRA? And here rolls the list:
1. Give Me Wings to Fly
2. The Well-Dressed Wizard
3. The Black Boar Inn
4. The Sign of the Dreaming Dragon
5. The Old Talking Ox
6. The Blacktalons Citadel
7. Shrine to Auril
8. Shrine to Lathander
9. Shrine to Talos
10. Shrine to Tempus
11. Shrine to Tymora
12. Night Skulls' headquarters
13. The Men of the Basilisk headquarters
14. House of Ambraddon
15. House of Nathlar
16. House of Prespos
17. House of Ahlimon
18. House of Piyarathur
19. House of Syntel
20. Thousandheads Trading Coster base
21. Dragoneye Dealing Coster base"

Soon I'm starting my campaign there and it would be really useful to know this stuff
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  07:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
when i was a junior in highschool (3 years ago) i wrote an essay about dungeons and dragons etc. it was decent adn reading it now it has its ups and downs. but the point is that I had interviewed mr greenwood via email. I dont think i ever got a chance to send him the completed paper!! if there is some address i can send it to i would be able to sleep better at night... finally! haha

-andrew

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  07:28:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's another question to add to my ever expanding pile. :)

I've been reading a Mesopotamian mythology book and came across An, who is a creator deity that sounds a lot like Ao. Also there's mention of the tablets of fate from this mythology.

"An (Sumerian) A primordial sky-god, regarded as the creator of the world and progenitor or ancestor of all the Gods who followed Him. His attributes are obscure and his rulership of the heavens is vague and ill-defined; He seems to have been a distant figure without much immediate impact on the human world."

So Ed,

Is that where TSR got the idea for Ao, the tablets of fate, and the like for the ToT's?.... or you have no idea. If not, where did they come up with Ao? A lot of people believe that his name is based off of Alpha and Omega, but that seems off to me.

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Jan 2006 07:52:20
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Howdy THO. Nice to see you up and around...

A quick one for Ed, if you will. As I'm sure the Lady Hooded knows quite well, you never can tell what sort of silly situation a player will get his PC into.

Thus, I am here with the need to know what a person cornered in a tavern/nightclub privy in the heartlands - Marsember, The Masked Merfolk, if we must be specific - would find ready at hand. Realms equivalent of toilet paper? What is the Realms equivalent of toilet paper anyhow, and how would it be stored/dispensed? A cupboard with cleaning gear and supplies? Some variation on a bidet? A small plate of gravy?

Think: MacGyver (or THO herself, apparently) in a Realms privy.

Also, what stops various deadly slimes/oozes from crawling up the average privy plumbing from the sewers beneath and turning an urgent visit into a sudden grave for various unsuspecting folk?

Yes, one could fairly ask exactly what sort of nutty campaign I'm running here.

To answer such a question I would, of course, smile mysteriously.

Cheers,

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:25:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Hoo-boy, Karth, THAT’S a Realmslore question! (I’ll send it off to Ed straightaway.)
In a recent reply to Dhomal, I posted: “Maztica was not in Ed's original Realms, but flying ships (elven defenses of Evermeet, plus a 'flying Dutchman' style ever-sailing-the-air-haunted-vessel) were” and Wooly Rupert promptly pounced on this one, asking to know more.
Ed obliges:

Ah, yes. Our Lovely Lady Hooded was speaking of “The Lost Ship,” a skyship (yes, George Krashos was right, Wooly; he almost always is!) as described in that long-ago DRAGON article, that just MIGHT be described in a forthcoming Realmslore column or two on the Wizards website. Watch for it!

So saith Ed, tireless spinner of Realmslore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:32:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have a few questions about Chosen of Oghma (possibly answered elsewhere, so if so, will someone please supply me a link to the location?). Does Oghma currently have Chosen? What are the criteria he uses? Do they have the same perks which we have seen so much of among Mystra's Chosen (extended youth, special powers, etc.)? Are any of Oghma's Chosen potted plants?
If fact he does... Sephris Dwendon is the "Chosen" of Oghma (and yes, I answered this in Eric's scroll as well).

quote:
I also have a question about Mystra/Midnight's memories: does Mystara-sub-2 remember the lives of Mystryl and Mystra-sub-1 as if they had occured to Her? Does She have a personal recollection of what it felt like to have Karsus attempt to usurp Her powers?
Jamallo, I assume you mean Mystra-sub-2 rather than Mystara?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jan 2006 00:32:59
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have a few questions about Chosen of Oghma (possibly answered elsewhere, ...(snip)

If fact he does... Sephris Dwendon is the "Chosen" of Oghma (and yes, I answered this in Eric's scroll as well).

Mercy buckets.

quote:

quote:
Jamallo, I assume you mean Mystra-sub-2 rather than Mystara?

You assume correctly. I often conflate the two.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  05:45:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's a change of pace for me, and a question that doesn't involve the deities and the planes. :) I know how much Ed dislikes those questions but a lot of FR's worship has never been detailed. :) And well, I like to research mythology as well as the people who live in FR... which is why I tend to ask a lot of planar, deity, and NPC questions.

Anyhow. I've always wondered about Shyrrhr.

What does she look like? What does she like to wear both as formal dress, which I'm assuming she has one? Her casual dress? and.... evening wear, shall we say. What is her history? What does she like to do for entertainment/fun? Again, besides the obvious. :) Why does she have the title she has? What does that title entail, besides the obvious? What does her home look like in Castle Ward? And of course, anything else Ed might want to add about her.

Edited by - Kuje on 17 Jan 2006 05:49:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000