Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
There's not much in it that wasn't available in previous sources. Hence, we haven't lost anything. Mind you, nothing on the gain side either other than a bunch of adventures. Adventure lovers will be thrilled. Everyone else is waiting for what comes next.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Guys, Mysteries of the Moonsea is already the most toxic thread I've ever seen in Candlekeep. PLEASE, let's keep it confined there. The question is an honest one, and deserves an answer in the fullness of time. This is not the place to debate MotM, its format, flaws, or whatever.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  02:59:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Guys, Mysteries of the Moonsea is already the most toxic thread I've ever seen in Candlekeep. PLEASE, let's keep it confined there. The question is an honest one, and deserves an answer in the fullness of time. This is not the place to debate MotM, its format, flaws, or whatever.

Exactly, now can we move on? It's a honest question to Ed and so let him answer it and if everyone wants to keep the debate going, there is a thread for that.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  05:19:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Herewith, Ed tackles Athenon’s query: “Is it an oversight that Wizards has not scheduled an "Elminster Speaks" seminar at GenCon the last couple years, or do they for some reason not like channeling of the Old Sage? Thanks for hours of entertainment reading this forum.”
Ed replies:

Will, you’re quite welcome; glad you’ve enjoyed my meanderings and mutterings. As for Elminster Speaks: Wizards submits its events for GenCon around March or so, but I’ve only just started to discover what I’m slated for, and internal WotC sources tell me “nothing’s really been settled yet” re. GenCon, so I’m not sure if Elminster will ride again or not this year at GenCon Indy.
The thinking a few years back was that as the Realms moved into 3rd edition, the role of Elminster (as his long, long life entered its twilight years) would be de-emphasized (hence, no more stand-up comedian who was improvising as he went, and therefore could say ANYTHING, much to the chagrin and shortened lifespan of his Wizards staff “straight person,” be it Jeff Grubb, or Steven Schend, or whomever). From my point of view, the costume is hot to wear and a hassle at customs (that staff’s obviously a weapon of mass destruction, you dangerous foreign bearded terrorist!), so . . . we’ll see. You can always ask me to channel Elminster at other seminars. [broad evil grin]

So saith Ed. Oh, I can just FEEL that grin.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  06:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I'll put my vote in now for U-con, since I'll actually be able to attend that one. And apparently Sage Schend will be there as well, so the two of you could team up!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  14:39:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I'll put my vote in now for U-con, since I'll actually be able to attend that one. And apparently Sage Schend will be there as well, so the two of you could team up!

At this point, Steven, Ed, and I are planning on attending. I'm trying to set up a FR Q&A at some point during U-Con, so please come visit if you'd like to chat about the Realms.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  18:30:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Thanks for the Canada Day wishes Foxhelm (and Wooly, too! I personally think we Canadians observe Canada Day, the former Dominion Day, to celebrate our annual deliverance from the black flies to [just] the mosquitoes), and thanks for so swiftly and obligingly providing the Ed short story listing, Faraer. I can add “The Mad Monj of Onteth” from THE DRAGONS’ RETURN (2005) and “Wrathclaw’s Wyrmtide, Or The Secret of Treasure-Unlooked-For” from WE THREE DRAGONS (2005) to that list, off the top of my head, and of course there are at least two tales in not-yet-published anthologies Ed has previously mentioned in this thread . . .
But, on to Realmslore! This time, Ed makes reply to Valus Gwaren, in this matter: “I was hoping I might get some information on the size/layout of a typical Sea Ward noble's villa in Waterdeep. I have a character who is a Waterdhavian noble, and is just returning to the city for the first time since I created him. I would like to design his family's holding, but I don't really know where to start. What style architecture is typical of these sorts of places? What kind of staff would there be to run the place? and so on.”
RodOdom helpfully posted: “If the electronic FR atlas is accurate, villas are on rougly rectangular lots of anywhere from 7,500 to 15,000 sq. ft., containing three or more individual structures.”
Ed makes reply:

RodOdom is quite correct. The typical Waterdhavian “villa” (so-named because noble owners have other homes, in warmer climes south of Waterdeep, in which they spend winter months) is a walled compound, typically with a landscaped garden inside (though the nature of the gardens vary widely with owners’ tastes, from sunny floral gardens with formal layouts and statuary to “wild”-looking forest glades with shaded bowers and meandering paths), in which are situated a main residence (sometimes called a “mansion” or “manor”), a stables, and a guest house. (Servants dwell in the uppermost floors of the mansion and above the stables.)
At least, that’s the “minimum” number of structures for a villa. Larger villas will have separate servants’ quarters, perhaps a gladehouse (equivalent of an orangery, greenhouse, or summerhouse: a heated, near-tropical building where exotic warm-clime or jungle plants are grown, usually because the noble owner loves tropical fruits), and one or more guest houses, some usually given over to dowager mothers or aunts, or even mistresses (or “houseboys,” the Waterdhavian noblewoman’s term for what we might call gigolos) rather than true “guests.”
The main residence is almost always tall and impressive, with turrets and balconies. Inside, it will ALWAYS have a grand entry hall (usually with sweeping stairs rising to an upper floor), a large and splendid feasting hall, and one or more meeting rooms decorated to impress (these may be called “parlors” or “studies” or almost anything; if the noble is martial in nature, like the Roaringhorns, or a mercantile power and proud of it, one might be an “office”). Lower levels are given over to kitchens, pantries, storage cellars, and hobbies or eccentricities (pet cages or studios or private swimming pools or dress-up rooms and pleasure dens), and upper levels to dwelling-suites for family members, each generally consisting of a reception room opening into a bedchamber, robing room, garderobe (jakes), and lounge (private office or dining-room).
Aside from turrets, spires, balconies, large windows (to display the wealth of the owner; large sheets of glass are EXPENSIVE in the Realms) and luxurious furnishings (again, to display wealth: tapestries and carpets are almost always present, but sculpture [especially life-sized statuary] and paintings [huge wall-panels in particular] are popular but very much a matter of personal taste [some nobles love ’em, some don’t]), and a prevalence for building in stone, and massively (usually with marble flooring), the architecture of Waterdhavian villas can be almost anything. Some have doors of single sheets of copper fastened to wood, most have doors ten feet tall or more and with ornate handles, and most have greatglories (candle-and-crystal chandeliers), all scream “I have coin to hurl away recklessly, and see? I have!” and many have fountains of water-spouting dolphins or mermaids or fanciful monsters, both indoors and out.
Any large house requires a large staff; POWER OF FAERUN p22 and 24 outlines one typical “grand household” organization, but in brief, any Waterdhavian noble will have hostlers (sometimes called “grooms,” and always run by a horsemaster or stablemaster; the former term implies skills as a horse trainer and doctor); gardeners (administered by a head gardener or groundsmaster); a kitchen staff of scullery maids, pantry jacks, and cooks (administered by a head cook, who reports to a chatelaine or steward); house guards (commanded by a captain, who reports to a seneschal); and “the household,” the household or domestic staff, of chambermaids, pages, dressers (personal maids and jacks, what in more modern times are called “butlers”) and doorjacks, who report to the chatelaine, who in turn reports to the steward. Sometimes the seneschal and the steward are the same person, sometimes there’s no steward and the chatelaine reports to the noble lord directly, and sometimes the reverse is true (no chatelaine and the steward runs things). Any or all of these “commanding ranks” may have assistants (understewards, chatelaines-of-stairs, and so on), and there may or may not also be a house wizard, a chamberlain (accountant and lawyer), and an equerry (personal assistant to the noble lord) above all of them. Every noble dwelling in the house will also have personal servants; males generally have two (a dresser and a “sword” [butler/clerk/secretary/errand-runner]) or three (a page is added, to run errands and deliver messages), and females generally have three or four (add more maids to see to a far more elaborate wardrobe). Feel free to augment, and if things seem rather crowded, you’ve got it right: they are! A noble who entertains a lot may have seven cooks, three times that many scullery maids, and twenty or so pantry jacks in livery to serve at a feast or revel; one who’s nuts about horses or gardening will have similarly large stable and grounds staffs.

So saith Ed. Covered in depth and full, m’lord.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Valus Gwaren
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  18:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Valus Gwaren's Homepage Send Valus Gwaren a Private Message
Many thanks to Ed and, of course, Lady Hooded. I shall begin detailing my villa this very evening!

-Lord Valus Gwaren of Waterdeep, Harper Agent.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  00:13:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Divers replies this time.
First, to Swordsage, Zeboaster of Ordulin, and Hoondatha: Ed looks forward to meeting any scribes who make the trek to U-Con at Ann Arbor. In the matter of who visited him, NDAs and modesty prevent (unless the visitor cares to spill the beans), but I will say some scribes are good guessers.
Secondly, to LoneHeroDragon: Feel free to ask Ed anything you’d like to ask publicly right here. However, he’s not the person to contact if you’re seriously interested in doing a Realms novel. That “best contact person” would probably be Phil Athans, Managing Editor of the Publishing Group at Wizards of the Coast, and he’d probably tell you to submit a sample and then a proposal to one of the Realms short story anthologies. That’s the “front door” (see REALMS OF THE DRAGONS II for folks who followed that route). Save your novel idea, work on it, but don’t expect Wizards to take an unsolicited Realms novel “cold” from an unfamiliar writer. That’s not the way they work. (But hey, Rich, you can get this same reply from Phil Athans directly.)
Thirdly, Ed swings into action at last to reply to Kaladorm’s recent comment: “This leads me to wonder then, as we know gods get their power simply by a person intoning their name (although obviously more so from their faithful), whether the gods power came from a sincere intoning of their name or not. Every time one of the other knights reprimanded Torm, would Torm the God become slightly more powerful. Bet that one would mess with his mind (aha Torm by misbehaving we rebuke you and so make the god of duty a bit stronger, get over that one ) Random musings :)”
Ed speaks:

No, gods derive no power from insincere intonements of their name, or mere discussion, or even proclamations. It’s devout prayer (and oaths or curses made by individuals at moments of great emotion, such as fear or rapture) that empowers them. So someone cursing Torm the mortal would have no effect at all on Torm the deity. Someone cursing Torm the deity for influencing Torm the mortal WOULD affect the deity’s power. Nor does merely hearing their name spoken (whether or ot it’s “really them” or just a mortal namesake) drive gods crazy; there’s a ceaseless thunderbabble of such namings coming to them, and all gods go crazy right away or learn to “tune it out,” listening in to specific mortals or locations or events only when they want to. By the way: rapture includes moments during lovemaking, both deliberately (on the part of clergy) and spontaneous (everyone else). :}

So saith Ed. Who must have spent a happy weekend. Ahem.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  01:06:22  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Have the Malaugrym had any dealings with that other shape-shifting race , the dopplegangers?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  09:36:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

How does one find out the all the secret names of a deity that they don't serve especially if the person is not evil therefore above torturing that deities loyal follower? And does this knowledge confer any power or leverage to the person?

Side question, the Skindancer in MM3 does it exist in YOUR Realms? The above post just made me wonder if there are female Dopplegangers and what would be offspring of her and Malaugrym?

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you at Gencon.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  03:02:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Herewith, Ed makes reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, about this: “All right, my question for today may sound really silly, but I have honestly been wondering about it for the past few days. The trivial things in life are part of what makes up...life. If my question has been answered before, I apologize.
Do Faerunian women commonly shave their legs, underarms, and *ahem* other parts of their bodies? If so, what types of razors, creams, and other materials do they use? From what I understand, the common safety razors used today were invented only about 100-150 years ago--I can't imagine having to use a regular straight razor. I have also wondered sometimes how Faerunian women deal with their menstrual cycles...”
Ed speaks:

Nothing trivial at all about such matters! If the game makes note of what weapons or loot creatures carry, descriptions of their bodies (especially as corpses or captives being searched) are of vital importance. In the same way, if a Realms fiction writer is describing someone disrobing or getting dressed, or for that matter what’s on view in a harem, festhall, or club where scantily-clad folk are dancing or otherwise on display, this becomes Need To Know information. This importance is only enhanced when we consider time-to-time adventuring necessities of hiding small items in various body cavities (ahem; I’m sure you understand).
So here we go . . .
[[scribes reading this be warned: specific biological anatomy words and details follow]]
First, the body hair. In a world with many races dwelling and working (or at least trading) together, there’s a great tolerance for variety. So no one “looks down on” someone for being different (i.e. having heavy body hair or not). However, there are practical reasons for being hairless in warm climates (and for wrestlers and those who make coin by means of sex, too), and in the warmer countries of the Realms almost all adult folk do remove their body (not head) hair (by plucking—the mild pain of this technique is often used in prayer, in monastic communities; by shaving with sharp CURVED [crescentiform, sharp edge on inside of curve, but with a short, marked arc of sharpened outside edge at the end for doing armpits] blades; and—most popularly, by far—by the application of herbal depilatory ointments, of which there are many, widely known everywhere in the Realms). This is less common in cold areas such as the North, and men everywhere often leave chest and head hair alone, and merely trim other hair short (or shave just their cheeks, and trim moustache, sideburn, and beard hair). The majority of men DON’T shave their heads, unless they have head rashes or wounds that need treatment, and men and women aren’t vain about hair that goes gray or white (they may dye hair for all sorts of effects or reasons, but pretending to not age isn’t one of them).
As humans biologically have hair to catch and intensify natural body scent, and strong-smelling human odours aren’t considered pleasant in most of the Realms, the great majority of humans do “wash their hairy areas” daily or even more often, and use scented oils when they can’t wash properly, or before engaging in activities they know will be sweaty and during or after which they want to impress or be welcoming to others.
Many who do remove armpit and genital-area hair may leave small shaped areas of hair for adornment (e.g. a lightning bolt zigzagging down to a clitoris), and for adornment, when going nude or wearing garments that leave strategic areas bare, body paint (and dyes like henna), or even more permanent tattoos (usually blue or green) are sometimes used to “replace” genital hair.
It should be remembered that warriors and wrestlers also have practical reasons for minimizing hair, and anyone who’s ridden a lot will know that hair literally “wears off” stress areas like the inner thighs. Nor does hair always grow back on scar tissue.
Second: menstrual cycles and their treatment. Social and practical. Social: Selune, Chauntea, and many other deities keep “closeness to natural cycles” strong in the minds of all Faerûnians; there’s no religious or societal stigma about menstruation. Women aren’t regarded as “unclean” at any time, menses are no bar to sexual activity, and any embarrassment is purely of the “Oh, now I’ve stained a nice [or borrowed] garment” variety. Menstruation is never called “the curse” or anything of the sort in the Realms; in Faerûn, it’s “lifeblood” or “moonblood” or even “Selune’s kiss” or “under the moon” (as in: “I’m under the moon just now, so pack extra redcloths”).
Time for the practical. Please see my reply on page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep, for information about undergarments (specifically clouts and redcloths).
Blood-stained “redcloths” will be washed or at least rinsed out daily, often in scented water. To avoid being tracked by beasts following scent, wilderland-travelling women often discard (by burying them) redcloths as they go; if they can find dew or any sort of water in which to wash the cloths (including stagnant swampwater), they’ll do so, often dousing the cloth with perfume beforehand to minimize any odours the water causes. The most popular “travelling wash” for redcloths (practiced, for example, by women stopping at a rustic inn) is cheap wine followed by rinsing with rainbarrel water. Please bear in mind that there’s no embarrassment or stigma attached to this, even for young females experiencing their first menses; no one will be trying to do this “on the sly,” and inns high and low will anticipate this need and have facilities for it (that’s why there are ewers of water sitting in washbasins in most inn rooms, AND spare washbasins underneath beds, alongside the chamberpots). Most inns and taverns do a busy daily trade in buying new redcloths and disposing of old ones (they become scrubbing rags).
One last note: shaving your naughty bits with a straight razor isn’t easy, but having someone else (who’s skilled, in good light and with room to work, and not in a hurry) is just fine, if you aren’t embarrassed and don’t flinch). Just ask THO.

So saith Ed. Who (as you can probably tell by now) lacks a lot of the hang-ups and prejudices of most of the males of his generation. I remember him cheerfully buying feminine products for both co-workers and family members, but thinking it ridiculous when they asked him to go make the purchase but were embarrassed to tell him their “sizes.”
And yes, Ed’s right about the straight razor, but the key word is “skilled.” (Ed is more of a “gingerly-proceeding amateur” than “skilled” in any use of a straight razor, but I once encountered a grandfatherly army barber who tended to a row of female personnel with a gruff, “Spread ’em, ladies, and no telling jokes while I’ve got the razor out; laughers are bleeders.”)
Amazing, what we get around to discussing in this forum . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  03:45:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
That has to be one of the most amazingly unexpected, but wonderful, lore answers I've ever heard. :D

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  04:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Who (as you can probably tell by now) lacks a lot of the hang-ups and prejudices of most of the males of his generation. I remember him cheerfully buying feminine products for both co-workers and family members, but thinking it ridiculous when they asked him to go make the purchase but were embarrassed to tell him their “sizes.”
And yes, Ed’s right about the straight razor, but the key word is “skilled.” (Ed is more of a “gingerly-proceeding amateur” than “skilled” in any use of a straight razor, but I once encountered a grandfatherly army barber who tended to a row of female personnel with a gruff, “Spread ’em, ladies, and no telling jokes while I’ve got the razor out; laughers are bleeders.”)
Amazing, what we get around to discussing in this forum . . .
love to all,
THO

*grins* Yes indeed! But as GothicDan said, it's a wonderful answer...and Ed even gave me more information than I had asked for! I also checked out page 21 of the 2004 thread--the information there was helpful as well. Thank you Hooded One, and please thank Ed for me!

Take care,

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  04:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
PS: I also love this...

quote:
Menstruation is never called “the curse” or anything of the sort in the Realms; in Faerûn, it’s “lifeblood” or “moonblood” or even “Selune’s kiss” or “under the moon” (as in: “I’m under the moon just now, so pack extra redcloths”).

It's nice to know that the Realms is such a comfortable place for women.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  07:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message
I agree with GothicDan. Wow! I am just stunned. Ed has thought of everything.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  12:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed!

Another question about Lliira from me.

Ive been looking through various bits of lore about Lliira, looking for a reason as to why Lliira has two Portfolios, those of Freedom and Liberty. They certainly get mention in various Lliiran based feats, etc, but with Lliira being described often as a flighty and detached Goddess, I dont see where she has Freedom and Liberty from (except maybe having Freedom due to her dancing nature, Freedom of Movement and all that)

Basically, what im asking is this. Where is this part of Lliira coming from? Would revolutionaries/freedom fighters really worship Lliira? Because, even with Lliira having those Portfolios, I dont see it happening. Perhaps shes just neglecting those Portfolios?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  13:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello Ed!

Another question about Lliira from me.

Ive been looking through various bits of lore about Lliira, looking for a reason as to why Lliira has two Portfolios, those of Freedom and Liberty. They certainly get mention in various Lliiran based feats, etc, but with Lliira being described often as a flighty and detached Goddess, I dont see where she has Freedom and Liberty from (except maybe having Freedom due to her dancing nature, Freedom of Movement and all that)

Basically, what im asking is this. Where is this part of Lliira coming from? Would revolutionaries/freedom fighters really worship Lliira? Because, even with Lliira having those Portfolios, I dont see it happening. Perhaps shes just neglecting those Portfolios?

Thanks in advance.

Im not Ed

In my own campaign I made Lliira Valigan third born (Jhaamdathan God of Anarchy) daughter. After Valigan was killed by Tyr, Lliira takes over aspects of her fathers portfolios: Freedom and Liberty.

Lliira has an order of worshipers called the Abolitionists who seek to free slaves werever they found. Most Lliiran Abolitionists are far more serious and focused than other followers of Lliira

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  03:20:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time, Ed responds to scribe Miri - Jala’s post: “Hi Ed and Lady Tho, Hope you and loved ones are having a great summer so far. I was browsing the Candlekeep website yesterday and found the Feb 2004 Interview at Mortality Radio and I thought it was great! I've been reading lots of posts by forum members and the ones in the "So saith Ed" archives. I can see from the insatiable appetite members have for more detail on just about evverryything that they love the realms. To hear someone vocally empassioned about it, though, is so much better than just reading the posts! I learned quite a few things I hadn't known before and thanks for doing the interview. I liked your Elminster vocalizations...coool. Do you have any mp3's you'd be willing to share where you're 'playing' some of the characters you've created? Or even some short avi files? For people who've never had the opportunity to get involved in or even see what a "home Realms campaign" is like, it would be a sweet treat indeed! If not...that's okay. I still get a kick out of reading all these posts.
I might as well put in another question for myself since I'm here... Were all the Seven Sisters born with the Silver Fire already in them? At the end of The Temptation of Elminster, Mystra sends El to watch three Chosen ones, Dove (4 yrs old), Storm, and Laeral. Since Mystra says they are already Chosen, does that mean they already have the Silver Fire? If so, when were they first able to call it forth? Was it painful or scary for them? Where they able to control it right from the start, or did they have to practice to make it do what they wanted? (If this is already covered somewhere, please let me know and I'll look there.) Thanks again Ed and Lady Tho”

Miri - Jala, you’re very welcome. Gosh, was that radio interview really that long ago?
I’m afraid I don’t have any such sound files available, in any format (though ever since the switch from typewriters, I’ve always used Macs capable of generating them, to write everything for the Realms on: I’ve honestly just been too busy writing to ever learn to use them), though that’s a very good idea, and I’ll pass it along to Wizards - - who would have to approve any such Realms-related release of them (yes, even if free and informal). I have participated in a promotional DVD for Tracy and Laura’s BRONZE CANTICLES, and there are aging cassette tapes of some moments of Realmsplay with the “original cast” of players and yours truly nattering away, silly Monty Python and Goon Show homage moments and all . . . but nothing I could lay hands on for public distribution. Sorry.
Yes, the Seven Sisters were all born with the Silver Fire already in them. However, as infants, they didn’t know that they did, or really what Silver Fire was, or HOW to “call it forth” from themselves.
That knowledge only came later, allowed by Mystra only after Elminster’s tutoring (or in the case of some of the Seven, some alterative hard life experience) had taught them some ethics, morals, and ways of the world. Some of this learning (with the Sisters involved being “teenaged handfuls”) is shown in my short story “Dark Talons Forbear Thee,” which appeared in THE BEST OF THE REALMS BOOK II: THE STORIES OF ED GREENWOOD, a WotC mass market paperback published in July 2005 (ISBN 0-7869-3760-2 or, in the new “long” ISBNs: 978-0-7869-3760-8). The right answer to “when were they first able to call it forth?” is different (in terms of age) for each of them, because it’s either “When Mystra deemed it needful to their immediate survival” or “When Mystra thought they were ready for it.” If the former, it burst out, quite possibly painful and scary. If the latter, Mystra “paved the way” with dream-visions (moral lessons, demonstrations of its use, and the inner feeling of how to call it up and what it feels like to unleash it) beforehand.
And like anything else of great power, precision and control of its effects needs practice. Picture a loaded submachine gun in the hands of a grandmother who’s never handled a firearm before. She “knows what to do” (pull the trigger) by watching media or reading, but may end up spraying a lot of things with bullets before she gets anywhere near hitting anything she’s intending to shoot (being a little scared, unfamiliar with “pull” or recoil, and so on). And that’s just the destructive “searing flame” of silver fire. Using it to mend broken things, heal, purge taints, power things (as seen in my tale “Tears So White” in the still-in-print anthology REALMS OF THE ELVES), or duplicate spells; these are all much more delicate tasks that must be learned and practiced.
Some day I’d like to write some fiction scenes that delve into this a bit more, but thus far there seems to have been far too much interest or emphasis placed on the ‘peerless destruction’ side of silver fire for gamers and game designers to really pay much attention to what else it can do.

So saith Ed. The creator who will never have enough time to fully explore his creation.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Jul 2006 03:21:58
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,
It is stated many times in the realms that alchemy is the only art that is yet not fully discovered, does Ed have any plans of having this art being finally discovered as it would change much in the Realms, also to what extent has the art been developed as from my understanding very little has been discovered, Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  00:45:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ulitharid recently posted: “As the game has progressed, new systems have been added without what would appear to be too much fuss in regards to implementing them into standard realmsore (at least imo, though yours might be quite different). However, and this might be a redundent/already asked question, but what about Incarnum and Truespeak in relation to traditional "magics" i.e psionics/magic.
At least to me, they seem to be unique enough mechanically and fluffwise to bypass the current implementation of magic systems in the realms (i.e tapping into the weave/shadow weave) in that truespeak are the primal words of creation, such that a weave of some sorts is completely unnecessary, and one's potential mastery of the multiverse through truespeak is limited only by the potential of the individual in question, as opposed to divine interventia via portfolios.
i also feel the same way about incarnum, in that, while power-from-the-soul is itself not a new idea, the concept behind incarnum and harnessing the essence of souls seems so out of the box, as to be a sin to chain it to the standard boundries of typical magic/deific patronage.
so, i guess to move onto a more specific question rather than detailing my thoughts... how would you handle implementing incarnum/truespeak into the realms(if at all), and what would be the corresponding lore that you'd put behind the "new" systems?”
Ed replies:

You’re entirely correct: magic (as in: harnessing natural forces to bring about specific and immediate effects) doesn’t need the Weave or (specific) deities. There are indeed “many other roads” to tapping these powers; incarnum and truespeak can be used alongside (in addition to) the more familiar and popular spell systems. Kuje correctly pointed out true names have been part of the Realms since its beginnings (before the D&D game), and therefore it follows that truespeak (using the same concept of “words of power” that also, thanks to the Vancian magic system the D&D game spell system is based on, is there from the first in D&D) must work in the Realms.
That doesn’t mean that DMs must use it, or must agree with all of (and only) the rules presented in the recent Tome of Magic: like everything else in D&D, everyone is constantly tinkering with rules and approaches.
However, as of right now, the arcane and divine spell systems predominate in Faerûn: a typical travelling character will encounter relatively many clergy and wizards, fewer sorcerers and psionically-gifted beings - - and users of other systems of magic (such as incarnum and truespeak, or table magic for that matter) will be far rarer.
I love using mavericks, as my players will tell you, because the moment “the unknown” pops up, roleplaying must increase.

So saith Ed, Auld Sage Extraordinaire.
(Well, ’tisn’t the worst thing he’s been called.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  00:25:01  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I'm curious if the elves have any particular names for the Outer Planes, and in general what their view of extraplanar affairs (the Blood War, Cyric's shenanigans, etc) might be compared to a human perspective (if there is 'a' human perspective). Many thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  00:45:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'm back with one of my weird questions but I've really been thinking over ships and ports and the like lately, which is why I asked about that Spelljammer reference.

However, I'm wondering if Ed could supply any details on light houses? I know that's a bit of a vague question so let's see if I can narrow it down a bit. How do elven light houses, in places that elves have ports, Evermeet most likely, differ then human light houses? Are there any magical light houses, I figured that there might be. How do the different light houses on the ports of the Sword Coast differ from those that could be found on the ports of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Maybe give us some details on the different light houses found in a few of those ports? Any details about any light houses that can be found among Spelljamming ports that are in Wildspace and on the planets.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Jul 2006 00:46:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:14:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everybody. Ed recently replied here to a query about a peninsular name, saying in part: “It’s true that in the latest (3rd edition) projection maps of Faerûn the region wherein the Vast and Impiltur are located LOOKS somewhat like a peninsula ...” and RevJest responded: “I wonder how the Northmen feel about the island of Gunderlun disappearing from the face of Faerun.”
Ed now responds in turn:

Very down in the depths, I’d say . . .
Ahem. Seriously, I’d say the isle in question (about which I provided some lore on page 20 of the 2005 vintage of this thread here at Candlekeep) is just “off the map” (to the west) because of its projection, or perhaps just omitted by cartographers oversimplifying, rather than truly vanishing in any physical sense. Er, I hope. I would NOT want to have to design, in a balanced 3.5e sense, the spell that could “vanish” such a large landmass without anyone noticing (or not causing tidal waves, current alterations, and the like).

So saith Ed, sounding somewhat like Slartibartfast.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'm back with one of my weird questions but I've really been thinking over ships and ports and the like lately, which is why I asked about that Spelljammer reference.

However, I'm wondering if Ed could supply any details on light houses? I know that's a bit of a vague question so let's see if I can narrow it down a bit. How do elven light houses, in places that elves have ports, Evermeet most likely, differ then human light houses? Are there any magical light houses, I figured that there might be. How do the different light houses on the ports of the Sword Coast differ from those that could be found on the ports of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Maybe give us some details on the different light houses found in a few of those ports? Any details about any light houses that can be found among Spelljamming ports that are in Wildspace and on the planets.....

Theres a lighthouse detailed in F&P called the Darkhouse of Saerloon

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:24:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

In case people don't get the reference, it's from the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy novels by the late Douglas Adams. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Jul 2006 03:27:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:59:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

love to all,
THO

In case people don't get the reference, it's from the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy novels by the late Douglas Adams. :)

And he was also in the movie of the same name. That actor, Bill Nighy, also played in several other movies, including Shaun of the Dead and this weekend's box office king, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (as Davy Jones).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:03:01  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,

When wizards study there spellbook, does the page they are studying for a spell have the words for the spell and hand movements for the spell that are needed to be performed in order to cast the spell or does the spell have a description of the spell, maybe how the spell was made, the "equations" behind it, and if so does each spell when memorized (this would be if the latter were true) do the movements and the words to the spell come naturally to you when you have studied the page or do you also have to no before hand what movements and words are needed to cast the spell?
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  05:47:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Definitely appropriate .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  17:06:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Ah, if only the 3.5 Epic Spellcasting system took into account the kind of things that would happen when you cast that Raise Island spell or the reverse... ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000