Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  04:19:36  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady Tho,

Here's another question about names. The ruler of Halruaa is known by the title "Netyarch". The great druid of the Great Dale has the title "Nentyarch". Is there a link between the two names?
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:12:15  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear Lady Hooded One and Mr. Greenwood,
5 questions
1. Are there any future plans for any books on Netheril such in the format that of the novels of Cormyr or Evermeet were written from either you or any other author?

2. Not much is known of Barauble of Cormyr before he was seen in the elven forests of Cormyr. I know that he is from Netheril, but what of his life in Netheril is known to us?

3. Elaith Craulnober has obviously massed a huge fortune in Waterdeep, Mirt seems also to be extremely well off also but who has the greater and the more valuable keepings?

4. In City of Splendors the novel Madeiron Sunderstone is mentioned as Piergeiron's body gaurd, what is known of him other than the few worded description given to him in the novel.

5. In the novel Farthest Reach when the whereabouts are questioned about Elminster and the Knights of Myth Drannor, it is said that they are on a mission along with the Simbul to do something with the Shrinshee, is this the possible storyline of the upcoming book Swords of Eveningstar?

Tempus thanks you!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:18:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by atlas689
3. Elaith Craulnober has obviously massed a huge fortune in Waterdeep, Mirt seems also to be extremely well off also but who has the greater and the more valuable keepings?

Look at earlier answers, you'll find the 10 biggest moneybags of the realms.

quote:
5. In the novel Farthest Reach when the whereabouts are questioned about Elminster and the Knights of Myth Drannor, it is said that they are on a mission along with the Simbul to do something with the Shrinshee, is this the possible storyline of the upcoming book Swords of Eveningstar?

The KoMD trilogy is set in the past. For El and the knights, look at Realms of Elves antology (Tears so white).

Edited by - Skeptic on 29 Jun 2006 01:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
quote:

Dear Lady Hooded One and Mr. Greenwood,
5 questions
1. Are there any future plans for any books on Netheril such in the format that of the novels of Cormyr or Evermeet were written from either you or any other author?

2. Not much is known of Barauble of Cormyr before he was seen in the elven forests of Cormyr. I know that he is from Netheril, but what of his life in Netheril is known to us?

4. In City of Splendors the novel Madeiron Sunderstone is mentioned as Piergeiron's body gaurd, what is known of him other than the few worded description given to him in the novel.

Tempus thanks you!
-Atlas

In regards to a few of these (sorry, I'm not Ed, but I can answer a few of these) . . .

4. Madeiron Sunderstone is first mentioned (that I know about) in the old 1st edition sourcebook FR1 Waterdeep and the North, where he is listed as a 9th level paladin.

5. Read the story "Tears so White" in the Realms of the ElvesAnthology . . . that should help out a bit with this one.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  03:04:44  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Well thanks so much two you two but two of my questions still stand:

Tempus thanks you THO and Mr. Greenwood!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)

Edited by - atlas689 on 29 Jun 2006 18:16:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  03:47:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. RodOdom recently posted: “Dear Ed and THO, Currently I'm running a game taking place primarily within Evermeet and Evereska. One thing that we have largely glossed over is money in elven society. Currency and market prices aren't mentioned in the Evermeet sourcebook. How are elven economies structured? Are they any different than those of humans?”
Ed replies:

In general, elven society has shifted from gems, wine, and food as barter tokens to gems as currency, and in the last three centuries or so, to the coinage used by humans, with gems “standing in” for large amounts. Elves prefer electrum and silver to other trade-metals, but will use all manner of coins.
However, all non-drow elven society follows these firm social mores: personal honour is deeply rooted in fairness and prompt repayment. No “gouging” during shortages (charging excessively high prices when demand outstrips supply), and family always pays a shade less than clan, clan or community always pays a shade less than outsider, outsider elf pays less than any non-elf.
Otherwise, it’s coins. Medicines or food barter between friends, and spells or magic item exchanges between rulers and the haughtiest nobles, but for everyone else: coins just like humans (valued according to the metal of the coin, not the minting: i.e. elves quite happily use coins issued by human kingdoms long gone and forgotten, so long as the coins are in good condition, and of acceptable purity and size.

So saith Ed. Who wishes he had a few more real-world coins to call his own.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  04:53:15  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Before asking to Ed a "big" question, two quick ones for THO :

1) Do I have pending questions for Ed except the one about yuan-ti and other snakefolks in the north ?

2) I'm looking to play with the FR setting in another game than D&D, so I want to remove some "D&Dism" from the published (3.x) realms. Would it be okay to ask to Ed a serie of short questions like "does X comes from the setting or D&D rules/design principles" ?

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  06:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
hey Ed and THO ... wondered about a thing i read in 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' ... there it is said that Drannor was an elven that married a drawf girl, i find this interesting and want further infomation about those, when did they live, where did they live, do they have any living heirs, if then where do they live etc.

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 29 Jun 2006 06:01:50
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  14:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message
Greeting madame THO and sir Ed,

I am a member of a community (ALFA) dedicated to recreating your realms within Neverwinter Nights (2) and sometimes we have strange and funny questions which add flavor to the world we've created.

Here goes.

Is there any whale cathing within the realms? Are there specific types of whale?

What is your personal favorite region in the realms, and why?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

~Blackwill

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  15:41:49  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood and The Hooded One,
Do you have any information detailing Antarn the Sage's life or perhaps stats(if he is still alive)? The only information I can seem to find on him are quotes from "The High History of Faerunian Archmages Mighty".

Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  21:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Myst

quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

From our experince, I'm betting the first two questions will be covered by the Viel of NDA..

Sry i'm not familar with NDA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

And have you looked in 2e's Cloak & Dagger? That's pretty much the best source on the group less you want to talk to Steven himself. :)

2ed Claok and Dagger nope never read that and I didn't know that the Moonstars went back that far.

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  22:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Thats WoTC for you Myst :P

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  23:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui!

Many thanks indeed for the reply on the Boareskyr family name. The knowledge of Ed and THO never ceases to impress me!

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  23:43:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Myst

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And have you looked in 2e's Cloak & Dagger? That's pretty much the best source on the group less you want to talk to Steven himself. :)

2ed Claok and Dagger nope never read that and I didn't know that the Moonstars went back that far.

It was one of the last (if not the very last) of the 2E products for FR. In my opinion, it was one of the best supplements for the Realms. It covered the Harper Schism, which led up to the formation of the Tel'Teukiira (Moonstars), the Manshoon Wars, the rise of Fzoul, and a lot of the power groups of the Realms. If you can find a copy (which isn't too difficult), then I'd strongly recommend getting this book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  01:39:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Ed herewith tackles a query from HunterOfStorms, viz: “Hi again Ed, just doing my bit to keep adding to the piles of questions, no doubt stacked extradimensionally by now, in your queue. I've been looking at compiling a descriptive list of woods suitable for carving etc. for a player of mine and my first stop has been with the Volo's guides and Ecologies. And a wonderful source of detail they are too :) The newer editions don't have quite as much information, but still usueful. However, I'm intrigued by the passing references to Barausk and Rosecork trees in Elminster's Ecologies (the Settled Lands Chapter). Barausk (found in Harrowdale and Deepingdale) is well described as a tree and has the property of drying iron hard. Rosecork is only decribed as being native to the Isle of Prespur and "virtually fireproof and becoming increasingly popular with builders". Lovely stuff, but I'm greedy, I want more :) Would you be so kind as to expand on these two varieties perhaps? The colour and grain of the wood and whether it suitable or useless for carving, inlay etc.?”
Ed replies:

Happy to expound. :}

When cut into, to expose its grain, Barausk is dark brown mottled with gray-green to the casual glance. When more closely examined, the gray-green tinges come from places where the grain is “folded back in on itself” very tightly. Rather than the wavy but tending all in the same direction, sometimes widely-spaced bandings of most woodgrains, barausk looks like a maze, or meatballs resting in much-folded spaghetti, or the “crazed” banding that surrounds burls in other woods. It dulls or breaks blades when dry, but can be readily cut when “wet and green,” or soaked (immersed or very frequently doused or sprayed) for a day or so to make it wet again (this latter sort of wetting penetrates only about a fingerwidth; once this is carved, exposed surfaces must be wetted again to soften the wood more deeply, if deeper carving must be done. Dry barausk turns (and stays) brittle if heated, but otherwise is both iron-hard AND durable.

Rosecork, on the other hand, is useless for detail carving-work, because it splits on internal planes readily and cleanly, making it ideal for inlays, building panels, and the like, but tends to collapse and crumble when cut in other directions. It has a pleasant light, reddish, “speckled” woodgrain appearance (akin to the more numerous and familiar cork tree), and absorbs and holds moisture (one of the reasons it resists fire; think of a wall that emits its own steam-sprinkler, all over, when faced with heat). This makes untreated (“raw”) rosecork horribly susceptible to molds (and thus a good base for deliberate growth of fungi for food or medicine, or for that matter as dungeon traps [at the bottom of pits, for example]), so certain herbal-water concoctions (brushed or “doused” [buckets thrown] on) are used that forever prevent spores from growing within rosecork, but retain its water-holding qualities. Note that rosecork, while spongy to the touch, DOESN’T “leak water” if sucked or crushed or prodded, though a thirsty person could slash a rosecork panel and glean a few drops from each wound.

So saith Ed, who describes himself more as a “woodbutcher” than a woodcarver. Having seen his handiwork at his cottage, I must concur.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  04:38:26  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Ahhh, yet another priceless gem uncovered :)

Thank you,
Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Miri - Jala
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  14:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Miri - Jala's Homepage Send Miri - Jala a Private Message
Hi Ed and Lady Tho,
Hope you and loved ones are having a great summer so far. I was browsing the Candlekeep website yesterday and found the Feb 2004 Interview at Mortality Radio and I thought it was great! I've been reading lots of posts by forum members and the ones in the "So saith Ed" archives. I can see from the insatiable appetite members have for more detail on just about evverryything that they love the realms. To hear someone vocally empassioned about it, though, is so much better than just reading the posts! I learned quite a few things I hadn't known before and thanks for doing the interview. I liked your Elminster vocalizations...coool. Do you have any mp3's you'd be willing to share where you're 'playing' some of the characters you've created? Or even some short avi files? For people who've never had the opportunity to get involved in or even see what a "home Realms campaign" is like, it would be a sweet treat indeed! If not...that's okay. I still get a kick out of reading all these posts.

I might as well put in another question for myself since I'm here... Were all the Seven Sisters born with the Silver Fire already in them? At the end of The Temptation of Elminster, Mystra sends El to watch three Chosen ones, Dove (4 yrs old), Storm, and Laeral. Since Mystra says they are already Chosen, does that mean they already have the Silver Fire? If so, when were they first able to call it forth? Was it painful or scary for them? Where they able to control it right from the start, or did they have to practice to make it do what they wanted? (If this is already covered somewhere, please let me know and I'll look there.) Thanks again Ed and Lady Tho
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  05:00:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Great questions, Miri-Jala! I’ll hurl them in Ed’s direction right away . . .
Halaster Blackcloak recently posted: “I had two questions for Ed. First, where did the inspiration for Halaster Blackcloak and Undermountain come from? Ruins of Undermountain is my all time favorite game accessory/adventure and I was curious as to where it all originated. On a side note, I came across an old episode of Night Gallery (the Rod Serling tv show from the 70's) titled "Messiah on Mott Street", and it features an actor who would be perfect to play Halaster in a movie. Here is a not-so-great screen cap with Halaster's image from RoU mixed in:
http://users4.ev1.net/~dormammu/halaster-movie-color2.jpg
I thought he'd make a great Halaster.
Second question, where did the inspiration for Szass Tam come from? Again, I found a movie that features a character that's stunningly similar in appearance:
http://users4.ev1.net/~dormammu/szass-tam3.jpg
Thanks Ed, for all the help and for giving us the Realms!”
Ed replies:

Undermountain was inspired (circa 1967) by reading Tolkien, and thinking, “What a cool environment - - but what if it were RIGHT UNDERNEATH a crowded, bustling all-races crossroads trading city?” So I set about thinking about how the city-dwellers would “use” such spaces, if they knew about them (and of course, how the under-dwellers would “use” the city and its populace). When D&D came along, a little later (1974, but general release and my first taste of it: 1975), lots of Tolkien-inspired dungeons were part of it (see the original booklets for why), and the gamers of that day had magic shops, resupply areas, and the like down in their “endless dungeons.” I thought most of those touches were jarringly unrealistic, more “modern-world-obstacle-course/game-show” than anything that could possibly be consistent with the fantasy settings, so I did some hard thinking about how various races (and prowling monsters) would dwell in a large subterranean labyrinth (where does food come from? where do they poop? if they travel about in such a dangerous environment, where and WHY?).
Now, if the city above had been around for centuries, and city-dwellers were going down exploring (via the Yawning Portal, etc.) from time to time, surely all the traps would already have been sprung, monsters slain, and dangerous challenges blasted away by the fireballs and suchlike of long-ago mages. No? Well, then, someone or something would have to be creeping around “resetting” and restocking and renewing them. A lot of those traps were magical, so that someone should be a powerful mage (also handy in capturing, compelling, and transporting dangerous monsters). Okay, so WHY would someone so powerful do this - - instead of forcing world peace upon the Realms, or making everything blue, or (ahem) conquering the city above long ago?
Well, he must be mad, of course. :}
Hence, Halaster: he’s unpredictable - - there’s no telling WHAT he may do. So he won’t automatically regard adventurers who kill his monsters, take the treasures (and again, he must be mad if he hasn’t glommed onto all that magic and riches for himself, right?), and smash all his best traps as his foes. Sometimes he will, for short periods, but not for long or consistently (otherwise, it would be Halaster versus adventurers, equals no more adventurers). I then turned to thinking about WHY Halaster is the way he is, why he’s so tied to Undermountain, and so on (Halaster was around in my stories in 1967, but it wasn’t until 1976 or so that I started delving into these matters). In the published Realms, Steven Schend picked up on Halaster’s life, sanity, nature, and powers, and developed him a lot farther.
So that’s the “short version” of how I came up with Undermountain and Halaster.
The RUINS OF UNDERMOUNTAIN accessory has my (edited for brevity and game rules content) original keys to the area around the shaft down from the Yawning Portal, mated to an old Empire of the Petal Throne home-campaign map that the late Dave Sutherland (then of TSR’s mapping department) had lying around, so as to save time on redrawing my many, many levels of faded pencil maps and cramped, tiny, wandering-all-over-the-pages keys to Undermountain’s many, many levels and sub-levels. So you’ve only seen a tiny, tiny bit of my original Undermountain - - but the Realms and D&D have both “grown away” from conditions back then, so if you see more of it, you’ll almost certainly be looking at newly-generated material (perhaps loosely based on my fading-into-the-past original).

So saith Ed. To avoid running into the post-length-limit, I’ve chopped his Szass Tam answer, and will post it on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:01:33  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Happy Canada Day , Ed!

The day that Canadians get drunk and play with explosives. Plus sacrifice Americans to our dark gods. Like Wayne and Shuster!

Enjoy!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  14:14:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Happy Canada Day , Ed!

The day that Canadians get drunk and play with explosives. Plus sacrifice Americans to our dark gods. Like Wayne and Shuster!

Enjoy!

Another Canada fan, huh? Have you seen the Canadian World Domination website? It's all bunk, of course, since at some point in the future, the rest of Canada will secede from Quebec and join the US...

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend, so everyone enjoy your holidays!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  19:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Back in January, Jamallo Kreen asked: “This is a question that others than Ed may be better able to answer: Since half the job in getting a new technology (or magic) developed is being aware that it can be done in the first place, what is the DC to be aware it is possible to create a spell like Iolaum's Longevity?
Is it possible, based upon rumors, Netherese remains, and Volo's gossip, to figure out what were the basic Epic seeds of Iolaum's Longevity? If so, what would be the DC to know this in the 1360s and 1370s DR?
I'm not asking about the whole formula, only the general framework, which will require research per the rules.”
Ed replies:

I’m afraid there’s no hard-and-fast specific-DC-number answer to this one, Jamallo Kreen. It varies from individual to individual, depending on these factors:

(snipping of much information)

To answer you specifically about Iolaum's Longevity: no. Characters in the Realms don’t have any idea what “Epic Seeds” are. What could be deduced from Volo’s gossip and other lore-sources (assuming those sources aren’t seriously in error, and we all know what Volo’s like, and how often someone’s distortion gets picked up and embellished and repeated, spawning ever-larger errors) is ONE approach to crafting a new spell, not necessarily “THE” or THE ONLY approach. A DM must take “known” DCs and apply them to the research and spell-structuring approaches of PCs to arrive at DCs for the “milestones” along the way (which is publishing-speak for all the sub-deadlines scattered throughout a long process). The “warmer” the PC is to what the DM decides is the “right” process or spell elements, the easier the DC; the “colder” the PC’s approach is, the harder. Sorry to be so “basic” in my reply, but in the home Realms campaign I never have to worry about stuff like this: it’s all roleplayed, so if “Eureka!” and “Watson! I need you!” moments arise, success is happening, and if they don’t . . . success isn’t. :}

So saith Ed. Who has run fascinating “locked in my spell-chamber researching magic” sub-campaigns in the Realms that had no monster-fighting or dungeon-delving - - and I can assure you that they were just as compelling as the save-the-Realms-with-our-blades-cleaving-huge-dragons adventures.
love to all,
THO

Thanks, THO. Thanks, Ed. The front door to the home of one of my NPC wizards (the Kolat Towers, in fact), has long had a magic mouth which simply says, "Go away!" whenever anyone knocks. It helps (a little!) to keep away travelling salesfolk and Sharan missionaries who might otherwise interfere with spell research. ("Seven hours and fifty eight minutes of work done today ... just two more minutes and ... blast! Who's at the door?!")

I can appreciate the complexities involved in spell research as you described in the snipped section. The spectrum of available magical training is truly vast. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Ed, but my understanding is that one can -- without violating the time stream -- even go back in time to Netheril, study with an archwizard for a year and then come back with cool new tricks to show off at one's New Year's Eve party. Is it not so, or does Mystra purge one's memory of spells learned in the past? One can imagine what hilarity would ensue if such a time travelling magical apprentice returned to 1374 and then happened to bump into Tabra, whom he knew from their student days in jolly old Nethril. Apropos of which hilarity, has Tabra cast Iolaum's longevity more than once, or was her casting of it centuries ago the only casting of it which she has done?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  15:37:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. As promised, here’s Ed’s reply to Halaster Blackcloak’s question: “. . .where did the inspiration for Szass Tam come from? Again, I found a movie that features a character that's stunningly similar in appearance . . .”
Ed replies:

Szass Tam first “really” fell into my forebrain in a story I wrote in 1977, though his name and the idea he was a mighty powerful mage dwelling somewhere in the east, who had something to do with undead, were floating around in my Realms writings a decade earlier.
In that tale, I made him undead himself, and the most “interested in the lands of the west” of the zulkirs (or “zulkiirs”) who ruled Thay. Thay was my Orient, or as close as the Realms was going to get to it: NOT Oriental human subraces, but rather a warm-climate, dusty-part-desert old and decadent slave empire ruled by people who had mastered powerful magic, shaved their heads (think: Moondragon of Marvel Comics fame), and were cruel by western standards. There was a power struggle of sorts between royalty and nobility on one hand, and these magic-strong zulkirs on the other, with tharchions (and tharchionesses) being regional governors that in the old days were “patronage appointments” given to nobles by reigning royalty, and that were increasingly being seized by zulkirs and filled by themselves or their (militarily capable, ruthless) appointees. Szass Tam was a bit of a restless maverick among the zulkirs, so to stay on top against BOTH his fellow zulkirs and the royalty, he’d have to be super-powerful, and a man who’d been anticipating attacks and treacheries for centuries and preparing for them: he always had a Plan B and C, and X, Y, and Z, all of which he could shift like puzzle pieces to respond to any threat and deflect or shatter it (usually deflect it so as to harm a rival).
Like Larloch, ideally he would never feature directly in play - - because he would watch adventurers and others, and respond through layers of intermediaries so his own involvement would usually never be proven or traced (it could be rumored or suspected, but no more than that).
I’m afraid my dial-up rural Net connections are far too crude to view the URLs you’ve provided (I haven’t even tried; animations? video clips? Hahahaha; not on THIS computer!!), but I’ll see if I can sneak a peak at them at a public library high-speed terminal. Thanks!

So saith Ed. Who’d love to see a Realms movie if (and only if) it were done right, but doesn’t ever expect to (long story).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  03:07:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed now tackles some related queries from April and June from VonRaventheDaring (and yes, by all means sample away, dear, and feel free to use your teeth as well as your hands and tongue): “Do you have any views/opinions of the new psionic classes from the CP. Also what do you think about the Jhaamdath empire, and the addons that Ed Bonny the other ed (lol okay thats lame) has made for them. I know that you have stated before that tsr kept you from publishing psionic related stuff due to dark sun being their focus place for that, but since wizards has changed that do you plan on adding or resubmitting any psionic related things for the realms? *trying not to drool at the thought* Also just have to note that the hooded one rocks, and i would like to do some breast sampling but thats a different type of question.”
and: “i read where the different types of gems all react to magic different, and i was curious if there was any gems that responded to psionic powers more so than others in the realms? and if it wouldn't be to much of a bother could you list them for me, thank you. Also i was wondering when you created the lore gems for the elves, were they inspired by psionics at all as they seem to have a psionic theme to me at least.”
Ed replies:

To deal with your last questions first (hey, I’m a designer :} ), VOLO’S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL will show you that witherite confers psionic immunity, and the gem-like magic item (the inspiration of Eric Boyd, and recently discussed in this thread here at Candlekeep) known as the weirdstone (also in VOLO’S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL and the later PLAYER’S GUIDE TO FAERUN) also deals with psionics. There are other, as-yet-undiscovered (though various alchemists, sages, and wizards are privately and independently experimenting) gemstone properties pertaining to psionics; stay tuned to all official Realmslore channels for future revelations.
As for adding or resubmitting psionic-related material for the Realms: I have LOTS of plans, but no time in which to deal with a three-hundredth of them, and I’m better suited (particularly while Wizards designers are continually revamping psionics :} ) to fleshing out the world (e.g. the cities articles in DRAGON, the Realmslore and Border Kingdom web columns, my lore answers here, and [NDA], [NDA], and [NDA]) so the maximum number of Realms DMs, players, and readers can enjoy more depth and colour in “their own” Realms.
As I’ve posted before, I tend to personally use psionics at the “personal wild talent” level more than anything else. At first glance, the psionic racial classes from the CP are just fine, the prestige classes (ebon saint in particular) seem quite usable, and I haven’t thought enough about the synad to venture a useful opinion. I’m speaking now as a game designer trying to evaluate the game balance, possible abuses, and implications of the classes as published - - whether or not, and to what extent, they appear in your Realms campaign is up to you, because (just like having lots of powerful spellcasters, or wagonloads of powerful magic items) psionics does have the potential to quickly dominate a campaign. There’s nothing wrong with that, IF that’s the campaign you and your players are happy with; everyone must make their own decisions on what balances and flavours they prefer in their play.
As for Jhaamdath: so far, so good - - but again, I’ve been too busy with many other Realms projects to fully consider the implications of the various fleshings-out of Jhaamdath on the “wider picture” of the Realms. I must take the time to sit down and do that, soon - - but looking at the multiple trainwreck that is my schedule for the next three years, I’m brainblasted (er, sorry) if I can tell you when.

So saith Ed. Who is fighting his way through many, many projects at the moment, to keep on bringing you the vivid Realms we all know and love.
love to all!
THO
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  03:45:30  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
So saith Ed. Who’d love to see a Realms movie if (and only if) it were done right, but doesn’t ever expect to (long story).
love to all,
THO

Somebody send Peter Jackson some FR novels!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  06:17:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
Hey, Great Ed! Howareya? Don't remember if I ever asked, or not...either way, it doesn't matter too much. Anyway, could you share with us some of the common Elven food dishes of Evermeet and Evereska? Thanks!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  15:38:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed herewith answers scribe Lauzoril, who asked: “Did Lord Chess have any kind of power in Zhentil Keep, political or otherwise, or was he just a puppet figurehead for the Zhentarim? Could there be any chance that you and Jeff Grubb someday write a novel together again? Thank you kindly.”
Ed speaks:

You’re very welcome. Hmmm: let’s do last first, as usual. :}
I’d love to write another novel with Jeff, a very good friend who I haven’t seen enough of since Wizards relocated to Seattle. We’ve recently worked on several projects edited or engineered by Brian Thomsen, though not directly together (WE THREE DRAGONS, a fantasy book of dragon Christmas stories that was published in paperback by TOR last Christmas, wherein we both had short stories, as did Jim Ward, formerly TSR’s Creative Manager; and the forthcoming FURTHER TALES OF BEOWULF/CHAMPION OF MIDDLE-EARTH, from Carroll & Graf, wherein we both have stories alongside Lynn Abbey [of Thieves’ World fame; Lynn and I once collaborated on the Mornmist fantasy series], Wolfgang Baur [former TSR designer and editor of DRAGON, who is now writing d20 fantasy adventures “to order,” as mentioned here at Candlekeep by Steven Schend in his Become A Patron! thread], and Brian Thomsen, alongside a modern translation of “the original” Beowulf writing that’s come down through the centuries to us), but the chances of us doing a novel together right now, with the differing directions our professional lives are trending, aren’t large. That said: I’d jump at the chance, if it were directly offered.

Lord Chess was a youthful noble, a “bored, idle younger son,” who WOULD have attained real power in Zhentil Keep upon the death of his father or the pleasure of his family and fellow lords if the Zhentarim hadn’t seized control (see my short story “So High A Price” in REALMS OF INFAMY or THE BEST OF THE REALMS II: THE STORIES OF ED GREENWOOD). However, as a vital conspirator in Manshoon’s seizure of power, he rose swiftly to real power as an indolent, decadent figurehead instead. He worked as a figurehead because of his noble status and therefore “rightful” power in the eyes of the public, but he was a lazy, corrupt, and ultimately disloyal to the Zhentarim individual, who discovered his true loyalties were to his city first and the Zhents second . . . and so he paid the price.

So saith Ed. Who has written an astonishing number of short stories, several of them critically acclaimed, that many Realms fans don’t know about. Faraer, have you listed them, by chance?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
WARNING THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE FINAL GATE

Unfortunately Mysteries of Moonsea has been released with out of date material that didnt take into account the events in Richard Bakers novel the Final Gate.

My question for Ed: What changes should be made to the Hillsfar write up in Mysteries of the Moonsea to reflect the events in Final Gate? (I guess what Im asking for is "Timeline Errata" for MoM)

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  18:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

WARNING THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE FINAL GATE

Unfortunately Mysteries of Moonsea has been released with out of date material that didnt take into account the events in Richard Bakers novel the Final Gate.

My question for Ed: What changes should be made to the Hillsfar write up in Mysteries of the Moonsea to reflect the events in Final Gate? (I guess what Im asking for is "Timeline Errata" for MoM)

Thanks in advance

Page five of Mysteries of the Moonsea, in the "DM Navigation Tips" mentions that the events in the book take place in the last half of the Year of Rogue Dragons, in 1373 DR, placing the events after that portion of the Year of Rogue Dragons books that takes place in the Moonsea area, and before the events of Final Gate, which don't involve the Moonsea until the latter part of the year.

Richard Baker mentions in the Final Gate book club that he checked at the last minute with the editors of the product and had that line inserted to avoid problems.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  18:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
This is incomplete:

"Princesses Don’t Kneel", Troll #1 (1997)
"The Sword of Dreams", Tales From Tethedril (1998)
"Writhe, Damn You", Northern Horror (2000)
"The Shadow of a Sword", The Doom of Camelot (2000)
"The Witch of the Dawn", Be Afraid! (2000)
"One Last, Little Revenge", The Book of All Flesh (2001)
"The Dragonjaw Door", 2001 World Fantasy Convention Souvenir CD-ROM (2001)
"No Stars to Steer By", Oceans of Space (2002)
?, Legends of the Pendragon (2002)
"O Silent Knight of Cards", Be Very Afraid! (2002)
"All Under the Stars", The Bakka Anthology (2002)
"The Secret in the Cellar", The Book of Final Flesh (2003)
"The Man in the Wall", Path of the Just (2003)
"The Night of Three Strangers", http://www.fastforwardgames.com/900/900_60.htm (2004)
"The Fallen Star", Children of the Rune (2004)
"Stormsong", Summoned to Destiny (2004)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  01:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arkhaedun

Page five of Mysteries of the Moonsea, in the "DM Navigation Tips" mentions that the events in the book take place in the last half of the Year of Rogue Dragons, in 1373 DR, placing the events after that portion of the Year of Rogue Dragons books that takes place in the Moonsea area, and before the events of Final Gate, which don't involve the Moonsea until the latter part of the year.

Richard Baker mentions in the Final Gate book club that he checked at the last minute with the editors of the product and had that line inserted to avoid problems.

That doesnt change the fact that a full 1/4 of the exstremely LIMITED amount of Realmslore in MoM was out of date before it was even published.

but Im not going to argue with you here

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page