Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  02:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. Sigh, indeed. We Knights have seen the Sorceress, but it was not a happy occasion.
Ed tells me he�ll fall silent for one day, or at the most two, but then return. In the meantime, he�d like to propose a question to all of you: before the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy ends, which Knights-related characters, situations, and events do you most want to see?
He makes no promises, mind, but he DOES want to know what you�d all like to see.
love to all,
THO

Perhaps dear Hooded One, we'd like to see this...

quote:
<snippet from Ed, last page>...Unless, of course, The Hooded One is visiting. No man alive (and precious few women) wins past HER distractions. She�s famous at a certain university for distracting some policemen who were trying to enter a domicile in search of someone who didn�t want to be found, by sitting down and (blocking a stairway) licking herself like a cat (yes, legs thrust out in succession so her tongue could reach certain warm regions, with the same air of languid, aloof disdain). However, that was years ago and her back is no longer quite so supple, she tells me (never mind under what circumstances she tells me).

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  02:55:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'd like to see a scene or two that includes some psionic powers and how Ed would write them in FR since 1 or 2 of the Knights have wild talents....

Hmmm otherwise.... I dunno.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Jun 2006 03:31:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  03:05:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'd agree with Kuje on the display of some psionics from those Knights that are able. Especially since they'd likely reflect Ed's personal touch...

I'm not really sure on anything else specifically...

-- THO, are there any Knights-related tidbits Ed is specifically thinking about including, or perhaps wondering about? Maybe if he could pass us along some suggestions we'd have more info on what he's thinking he might like to include. I realise he may be asking us the question because he himself doesn't really know as yet, but maybe he's got one or two Knights-related bits he's been thinking about including in the tale. If that's the case... we could help him decide.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  03:33:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd agree with Kuje on the display of some psionics from those Knights that are able. Especially since they'd likely reflect Ed's personal touch...

I'm not really sure on anything else specifically...

-- THO, are there any Knights-related tidbits Ed is specifically thinking about including, or perhaps wondering about? Maybe if he could pass us along some suggestions we'd have more info on what he's thinking he might like to include. I realise he may be asking us the question because he himself doesn't really know as yet, but maybe he's got one or two Knights-related bits he's been thinking about including in the tale. If that's the case... we could help him decide.

That's what I was thinking which is why I trailed off with the I dunno.... He knew the history of those chars better then we do, so I was like... um... well. sure. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  05:40:27  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
Hello-

This will come as no surprise to some - and certainly more people will have a better understanding soon - but ...

If possible - if it happened at all - I woule LOVE to read about any interactions between the KoMD and Shaundakul / Shaundakul's Throne in MD / priests/clerics/layworshippers of Shaundakul.

Lets just say - Shaundakul would be a great little touch for me. I doubt it would amount to too terribly much - but even a page or two would be most welcome!

Thanks for the opportunity to make a suggestion!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  06:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
Agennor Wildrunner and Martess the magic-user. Just what were these original (NPC?) members of the KoMD all about? Oh, and something about Aumark Lithyl would be great also. Why was the heir to the Ruathym throne adventuring in Cormyr?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

EricKRod
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  15:54:30  Show Profile  Visit EricKRod's Homepage Send EricKRod a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

I was just wondering what your original intentions were with this dale that had been destroyed so long ago. Was the Dusklord really evil and consorting with demons? Or were the other dales feeling threatned?

I had planned in my FR campaign world to have a very powerful Paladin of Lathander, who claimed a tie to the bloodline of the Dusklord, to return to the dale at the head of an army of followers and priests of Lathander and Chauntea. His goal is to start a new begining by naming the land 'Dawndale' and reseeding the ground with the aid of the priests of Chauntea. At the North end of the dale he will place a keep, run by his cousin a priest of Lathander. At the south end of the dale, near the woods edge, his other cousin, a powerful Ranger, will be in charge.

Not knowing enough of the background behind the Dusklord, I was wondering if you could enlighten me?

Thanks,

Eric in Vegas

Conan Rocks!
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:18:31  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
He he,

Hi Erickrod,

I've asked this back in april

=
=
=
=
Well met Ed, and lady of the hood, consider yourself warmly saluted also.

I've finally decided to write on this thread (gathered the courage to do it is more like it) and ask the creator of all some questions of my own that, i don't think, have never been adressed in these threads before. I also decided is was more than time to give to Mr. Greenwood (Ed, sorry) my own deep and sincere thanks for sharing is imagination for so many years. In my case, i discovered your words and your world in 1983 or 84, i think, in the pages of Dragon magazine. I had just started playing D&D at that time and was shopping for a word to play in. The grey box found me and i, it, or her i guess:) The first lines for this box felt like an explosion in my head. I was discovering a real world out of my own. I could see the dales, i could feel waterdeep. It read like a history book from a time i never knew existed and yet it was as if i was there. It was a very weird experience, i must say.

It didn't take very long before i started to add some things of my own though. Little things that filled the gaps and before long sir, your world became my world. Or our world maybe. I thank you for that sir. I thank you for the spark that fired my desire to imagine more.

And now :) for my question:

It concerns Sessrendale and the Dusk lord. My current campaign involves the descendants of survivors from the genoocide of Sessrendale. You see, i my campaign, some survivors from the attacks of Archedale fled not to Battledale or some other dales but they travel toward the east, toward Anauroch and stopped in a little vale between the southerned tip of spiderhaunt woods and the desertmouth mountains. They founded a new dale there called Valedale or some call it the secret dale or the pocket dale :) They were embraced by a dwarven clan who protected for some years, just the time it took to settle in and build some settlements. They've been living there, very out the way, for a little more than a hundred years now.

My campaign starts with the return of the dusk lord and since i haven't found that much information about him, i wondered if you could share with me some of your thoughts on what would occur if the dusk lord had survived in some way the attacks from Archendale. What could he have become in that time? I am at that stage of designing the campaign and quite frankly, it would be an honour to get your point of view about the idea i put forth and your knowledge of the Dusk lord. I read somewhere that archendale were experimenting weird manifestations, hauntings some might say, and it seems that surviving families of the archendale agressors are the main targets. Would this be the Dusk lord manifesting his vengeance? Any information on this part of the realms would be very appreciated and cherished.

As you can see by now (and that is the main reason i was so hesitant to write before) is my very poor skill in writing in the english language. I am a french canadian living in Quebec and even though i can make myself understood most of the time, writing to Ed Greenwood was very intimidating for me, considering my skills. Anyway, i took the chance. I hope i haven't offended anybody with some strange phrase construction or something.

Well that's about it then. And as they say in Valedale sir, may your gaze reach the horizon and your heart touch the sky. (sounds better in french)

Patrakis

=
=
=

Maybe Mr Greenwood will answer both questions at the same time :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  15:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui Hooded One!

More recently, a traveller related to me the story of Bhaal's fall near Boareskyr Bridge. While the history of the event was quite interesting, the name of the place itself roused my interest. Is there a story giving away the history of the bridge's name, maybe stored somewhere in the scrolls or annals of the Realms?

Aluve, Zanan!

(And what does Boareskyr mean if there ain't, please?)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Jun 2006 15:10:29
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  16:34:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui Hooded One!

More recently, a traveller related to me the story of Bhaal's fall near Boareskyr Bridge. While the history of the event was quite interesting, the name of the place itself roused my interest. Is there a story giving away the history of the bridge's name, maybe stored somewhere in the scrolls or annals of the Realms?

Aluve, Zanan!

See one of the November 8th, 2004 replies. The Indexes/Table of Contents on Candlekeep of my combinued Ed Answers are our friends. :)

Go to Top of Page

Valus Gwaren
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  22:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Valus Gwaren's Homepage Send Valus Gwaren a Private Message
Hi,

I was hoping I might get some information on the size/layout of a typical Sea Ward noble's villa in Waterdeep. I have a character who is a Waterdhavian noble, and is just returning to the city for the first time since I created him. I would like to design his family's holding, but I don't really know where to start. What style architecture is typical of these sorts of places? What kind of staff would there be to run the place? and so on.

Any sort of information from Master Greenwood, lovely lady Hooded, or any other esteemed scribes of the keep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Lord Valus Gwaren of Waterdeep, Harper Agent.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  22:40:52  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
If the electronic FR atlas is accurate, villas are on rougly rectangular lots of anywhere from 7,500 to 15,000 sq. ft., containing three or more individual structures.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  23:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui Hooded One!

Aluve, Zanan!

See one of the November 8th, 2004 replies. The Indexes/Table of Contents on Candlekeep of my combinued Ed Answers are our friends. :)

Thanks for that scroll Kuje. Yet, it "only" answers the inital question:
Sorry, Kajehase, it IS just a coincidence. The “Obarskyrs” have no relationship at all to “Boareskyr Bridge” (please note the ‘e’ in there). Jeff Grubb and his wife Kate Novak named the ruling family of Cormyr, and I named the place (after the long-ago adventurer Boareskyr [also my creation] who built the first bridge there). Ah, but you’re a daring scribe, if you’re going to try for the Lady Hooded’s leash. Me, I’d just walk up to her and ask for a kiss -- that usually gets you a kiss and then some.

Could anyone who knows relate to me whether "Boareskyr" means something real, like a telling name? Example given, "boar" could stand for boar (the animal), but the second part of the word is more obscure. To me at least. Now, before I bury myself in etymological dictionaries or the like, maybe some scribe or the Hooded One herself may have the answer.
(The alter ego of mine is writing a book about ancient Scottish place names, hence the initial interest.)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  23:27:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Er? Zanan? Ed said where the name came from.... it's named after a exadventurer which is what he said in the reply I referenced....

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  23:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Greetings Hooded One, and Ed.

All right, my question for today may sound really silly, but I have honestly been wondering about it for the past few days. The trivial things in life are part of what makes up...life. If my question has been answered before, I apologize.

Do Faerunian women commonly shave their legs, underarms, and *ahem* other parts of their bodies? If so, what types of razors, creams, and other materials do they use? From what I understand, the common safety razors used today were invented only about 100-150 years ago--I can't imagine having to use a regular straight razor.

I have also wondered sometimes how Faerunian women deal with their menstral cycles...

Take care,

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  00:13:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Back in March, Wooly Rupert asked this: “We know, thanks to the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book, that Waterdeep's navy consists of 55 ships, of various types and functions. What we don't know is anything about the ships, other than their types. So, are there any ship names, noteworthy captains, or bits of other naval lore you can share?”
Ed makes reply:

Certainly. The navy is increasingly being “taken for granted” in Palace decisions; considered “part of the furniture” that’s “always there,” of proven competency and strong enough for the city’s needs, so requests for more funds, new ships, and the like can safely be ignored. This will inevitably mean a decline in the navy (as ships age into dangerous unseaworthiness, and founder or get drive onto the rocks if they end up fighting naval battles in onshore storms) if this thinking doesn’t change.
However, right now the navy is strong, and we know the name of some ships and notable captains:

The Witch of the Waves: Raker, currently the ship with the most elite reputation in the fleet, due to superb performance in boarding and battling pirates. Its crew are swaggering “seabloods” (veteran sea fighters with “masts” [“kills”] under their belts), and they are captained by Master Amandas Talkurr (CG male Illuskan human Ftr9/Rog4). A fast, sleek, newly-rigged, dark-hulled ship.

The Kissing Mermaid: Raker, an old and patched veteran of many sea-battles that groans and yaws when under sail, but somehow weathers the fiercest storms and keeps on battling. Its crew has a reputation for lawbreaking, roguery, and reckless tactics - - but they also have a reputation for victory, and for appearing when most needed to aid sister ships and “win the day.” Lady Master Baerestra Mooncastle (CG female Tethyrian human Ftr 7/Ari2) captains a crew of misfits, from disfigured former slaves to half-orc “shes” to mongrel folk. “Lady Castle” is scarred and homely, but dresses like the most beautiful of fashion-conscious nobles, and cursed and jests and plays pranks as outrageously as any legendary pirate of minstrels’ tales.

The Sword of Storms: Raker, the slowest and largest ship in the navy, its upperworks rusty-red and sheathed in overlapped, hammered-down old shields and armor plate because it’s still fitted with a lone heavy catapult constructed to hurl loads of rocks coated in flaming pitch. The Sword bristles with railings, has a ram reinforced by more timber bracing than any other ship in the fleet that has pierced far more enemy vessels than the rest of the navy combined, and a crew of old stiffnecks and gray-tusks (a term equivalent to saying in our real-world terms: “stiff-upper-lip, walrus-moustachioed stalwarts”). They consider themselves the iron backbone of the navy and the true “best ship,” and are encouraged in this belief by the “Old Rock” who captains them: the monacled, grizzled, wintry-eyed Master Izidd Rocklar (LN male Chondathan human Ftr10/Exp4: maker of catapults and bombards).

Ed saith more, but I’ve chopped his reply in half to avoid the post-size limits, and will present the second and concluding bit tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  07:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady Hooded One,
I've got a question, this time concerning heraldry. I was wondering if Cormyrean cities of Suzail, Arabel, Marsember, Eveningstar, Immersea, Wheloon and Waymoot have got any coat of arms? If they do, could you spare any tips on how should they look like?
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  09:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Er? Zanan? Ed said where the name came from.... it's named after a exadventurer which is what he said in the reply I referenced....

Point here is - hence the initial question - the German FR map gives the name as (roughly translated) "Boarhide's Bridge" and none of my companions nor myself could find a relation between -eskyr / -skyr and "hide" (of a boar). It invoked my curiosity ...

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  00:47:42  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Just wanted to let Ed know I'm having a blast reading his descriptions of Ulgoth's Beard from a while back. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  02:09:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed concludes his answer to Wooly Rupert’s request for more information about Waterdeep’s navy with details of another seven vessels:

The Ready Gauntlet: Striker, a “small but fast and energetic, pouncing” ship of the city’s navy, battered but many-times-repaired, and typical of the bulk of Waterdeep’s strikers. A veteran crew of casually-dressed misfits is captained by Master Araskro Minthul (CG male Chondathan human Ftr5), a grizzled and garrulous sort who is of the firm opinion that if he fell overboard, the crew would just carry on without him, as “they’re all more than ready to captain or helm any ship in this fleet.”

Sarran’s Sword: Striker, named for a long-ago bold captain of Waterdeep, who loved to chase down, board, and slaughter pirates. An unlucky ship, with a history of sideswiping docks and moored vessels, crew deaths from rigging falls at sea, and a crazed sailor who stealthily murdered comrades aboard for most of a season before being caught (and executed). A fast vessel, captained by Master Halthos Belkairel (LG male Tethyrian human Ftr6, of a fast-rising, wealthy, “wannabe-noble” merchant family specializing in horsebreeding, cured meats, and brass musical instruments).

Blackasyre’s Revenge: Striker, named for a long-ago member of the City Guard who desperately wanted to captain a naval ship. When he got the chance, he was so disabled by uncontrollable, nigh-constant seasickness (“lying on his face retching onto the decks from beginning to end of the voyage, except when he tried to get up and fell right back down again,” as one seahand put it), that he had to give it up. Heartbroken, he resigned from civic duty, hurled himself into mercantile trade, and in a bare three years had assembled a profitable merchant shipping fleet. Whereupon Usmro Blackasyre commissioned shipwrights to build three “fighting caravels,” and gifted them to the navy. Both he and they are gone to graves with the passing years, but this new striker was named in their honour. Master Rhantaeros Naullaer (LG male Illuskan human Ftr6) captains it ably; he’s a calm-in-battle veteran of more pirate skirmishes and chase-down-smuggling-ships-and-board actions than anyone else currently on active navy service.

The Floating Axe: Striker, sailed by an all-shield dwarf crew (the lone one-race ship in the navy; Admiral Hornwynd frowns on “single-race crews” and the heightened rivalries that might develop in his ranks because of this, but Piergeiron accepted this donation from a wealthy Waterdhavian dwarf merchant, Lorlan “Stonesides” Duraxe, because it was politically expedient to do so. Thus far, the dwarves have proven to be clumsy but fast-improving sailors, and the best board-and-brawlers in the navy, under their captain Torsan “Burntbeard” Hailstone (LG male shield dwarf Ftr7).

The Gallant Lady: Transport (cog), newest and largest of the naval transports, the Lady was built as a supply ship only, although one cabin roof was reinforced to take a mounted catapult if one was ever needed in future. Veteran Lady Master Valla Dorminthar (LG female Chondathan human Clr4[Valkur]/Exp3: sailmaker and rigger; Str18), a huge, beefy woman of prodigious strength but kindly, motherly disposition (affectionately known around the navy as “the Cow,” but never to her face) calmly and patiently trains (and retrains) crew after crew of recruits, taking them out into the teeth of line squalls and gails to give them experience in rough-seas fighting and escort work. The Gallant Lady rolls worse than any other ship in the navy, but has two sealed sidehulls (pontoons) mounted on arms thrusting out from either side of the ship (Valla’s innovations), that (like a catamaran) check the worst of its rolls and keep it from capsizing.Crews love Valla but hate her ship.

The Mount Waterdeep: Transport (cog), the closest thing to a “typical” transport the navy has, marginally the largest and sturdiest of eight very similar ships built at the same time by Arnagus the Shipwright for the navy, at a time when blockades had been threatened by both Luskan and Amn, some sages were warning of an imminent orc horde, and the Masked Lords wanted to make certain that Waterdeep could provision itself by sea if it was beseiged. Like its sister ships (which include The North Wind, The Mount Sar, The Mount Araddyn, and The Mount Hellimbrar), this cog is usually bristling with catapults as it sits docked in the naval harbor, or wallows along the shore participating in mock battles. It is captained by Master Ghorkan Daznar (LN male Calishite human Ftr6), who is typical of the capable, laconic naval men promoted from the ranks for their calm competency.

The War Whelkin: Transport, a shallow-draft, broad-beamed, wallowing vessel that’s almost a barge (once it was a huge “sterncastle cog,” but it was topheavy, kept heeling over and capsizing, and was abandoned by its foolish Amnian owners [who’d ordered all the extra decks be built atop what the shipwright had given them] in Waterdeep harbor, upside down and full of water; the authorities claimed it, dragged it to a city shipwright, and had it cut down to its lowest deck, to yield the Whelkin of today) . The “Wallop” (as all the navy calls it) has metal-clad crenellated sidewalls for troops to fire from behind, metal plates hammered at odd overlapping angles all over its decks to inhibit fire (from enemy incendiaries), and six light catapults mounted on its decks. Admiral Hornwynd recently gave orders (after it almost sank in rough seas) that it was never to sail out of the harbor again (in some of the naval defense plans, it is to sail into a “sea gap” in the breakwaters and anchor there, blocking passage for other vessels, and it carries six anchors and chains for this purpose; these orders still stand). Its crew is a mix of the rawest recruits and the most ailing, leathery old salts, captained by Dallance Askalur (NG male Illuskan human Ftr5) a foppish wannabe-noble of great good looks and elegant wardrobe and manners, who’s in disgrace with Admiral Hornwynd for running a fast raker onto rocks during a mock battle, and has been reassigned to the Wallop as punishment. His drawling ease hides his rage and frustration well, but the entire navy knows it’s there.

So saith Ed, who’s thrown up over the side of a wallowing vessel or two in his day, and ALMOST been hit on the head with a boom while racing. He did once, in his youth, find himself hanging on to the high rigging of a tall ship with one hand during a sudden gust of wind, with nothing under the rest of his body but a lot of wind, rain, and a long, long drop into cold waves below. Luckily for gaming fans everywhere, he didn’t let go.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  03:18:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ed, my Lady Hooded One, thanks for the wonderful lore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  03:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed, who’s thrown up over the side of a wallowing vessel or two in his day, and ALMOST been hit on the head with a boom while racing. He did once, in his youth, find himself hanging on to the high rigging of a tall ship with one hand during a sudden gust of wind, with nothing under the rest of his body but a lot of wind, rain, and a long, long drop into cold waves below. Luckily for gaming fans everywhere, he didn’t let go.

Good lord!

Thank goodness, indeed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Hi everyone. Let me just say how much I wish that I could visit here everyday and keep up with the Forgotten realms world Ed and others have created but if you check my profile you'll see it's been sometime since I've posted here. So that being said I hope the questions I ask isn't going to be something Ed or THO has heard a million times.

I'm running a high level game in the Forgotten Realms and I'm using the Moonstars (what little info I have on them) in the game, it's gotten to be a pretty consistent game everyone started at about lvl 2 and they are all just under 20th level (been running for almost a year. My question to you Mr. Greenwood/THO/Anyone who can help...is as follows:

1. Will there be anything printed by way of a resource on the Moonstars? Because what I've seen in FR accessories so far have been very minimal.
2. Also is there anything you may have posted here breaking down the people involved in the Moonstars like Ex-Harpers and such. I'm more interested in the Organization and how it runs, who's in it, how they recruit.
3. Is there anything you could tell me that I can use in my game. My players are constantly asking questions about it and even though I have quite a bit on them considering there isn't a book where they are laid out like the Zents or Red Wizards they thirst for more (so do I:P ) so any bones you could toss my way about them will be greatly appreciated sry if this question is redundant or it's something that can't be spoken about but I didn't have time to read thru the thread to check.

Love all you guys scribes and authors alike FR is the best setting ever :)

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  21:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
From our experince, I'm betting the first two questions will be covered by the Viel of NDA..

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  21:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

From our experince, I'm betting the first two questions will be covered by the Viel of NDA..

Sry i'm not familar with Viel of NDA can you direct me to where I may find that out?

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-

Edited by - Myst on 26 Jun 2006 22:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  22:05:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Myst

quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Sry i'm not familar with NDA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

And have you looked in 2e's Cloak & Dagger? That's pretty much the best source on the group less you want to talk to Steven himself. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  03:19:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time Ed gives a hearty “you’re welcome!” to Wooly and to RodOdom, e-shouts to Quinton that his Maalthiir and Hillsfar query should now be answered by MYSTERIES OF THE MOONSEA (and to post a followup query here if that source isn’t sufficient), and forthwith tackles Asgetrion’s March request: “Could Ed provide us with the elven words for 'realm'/'kingdom', 'falcon', and 'city'/'citystate' (one without a mythal). I know '-ar/-aar' means a great realm, but is '-reier' (as in Shantel Othreier) also another word for a realm/kingdom?
p.s. Would it be possible for Ed to write "additional" (as in "more words that have not yet been published in any sourcebook" :) elven and dwarven vocabularies for the WoTC 'Realmslore'-column? I mean, when the Bearded Master only (if ever, considering all his projects ;) had the time to do it.
p.p.s. I absolutely love the Power of Faerun and the Border Kingdoms =) I think we may be up for some of the juiciest Realmslore ever published, and I am yearning to know even more about the 'Folly-realms of the Madmen' ;D”
Ed replies:

Glad you loved Power of Faerûn (Eric did much heavy lifting on that one) and are enjoying the Border Kingdoms. I’m really enjoying the BK entries; I just wish I had more TIME to do all of the stuff I’m expected to do now. Tidbits of both elven and dwarven vocabulary are upcoming in future Realmslore web columns, and the elven ones include several names for different sorts of places, so I’ll just give you the word for “falcon” right now.
Remember, elven is a mature language, and so (like modern real-world English) has both local dialects and formal and informal styles and many SLIGHTLY different words that can be used to describe a given item, situation, or event. So if you dislike what I write here, make up something else and consider this a dialect in use “somewhere else” in YOUR Realms, okay?
The elven word for falcon or hawk is “gyrlaszthraen” (in everyday speech, just “gyrlass”). The derivation is “swift strike hunting bird,” where “gyrah” is bird, “tal” is swift, “lasz” is stab, slash, or attack (natural beast savagery or combat; the word is never used for matters involving weapons or military ‘deliberate war’), and “thraen” is hunt.

So saith Ed. Whose tongue doesn’t slip as fluidly around syllables as it used to (and I’m going to firmly suppress the NEXT comment that leaped into my mind)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  08:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message
Dear Master Greenwood and Hooded Lady.

I have a query on food, bards and criticism in the Realms.

Do bards serve as the top critics as well as creators? For example who in the realms would be among the most notable Drama, Music, and Food critics (The ones nobles and common folk alike might bend an ear to)? Would these be other Bards due to their wide variety of knowledge or is the domain of ‘criticism’ left to others (sages, or scholars, etc)?

Is the ‘best’* food imbued with magic? Are the Julia Childs, Jamie Olivers of the realms required to be dabblers (i.e. Bards or other casters) to be considered among the top artisans of feasting fare? Is this something that is only reserved for/accessible to the nobles?

(*Best being subjective I know…but I wonder if nobles might see ‘enchanted’ food as being above standard or even rare edible fare as the enchantment might make it more pricey and exclusive).

My thanks and good eating to you both :)

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 27 Jun 2006 08:24:43
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  02:25:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time, Ed tackles an etymological request from Zanan: “More recently, a traveller related to me the story of Bhaal's fall near Boareskyr Bridge. While the history of the event was quite interesting, the name of the place itself roused my interest. Is there a story giving away the history of the bridge's name, maybe stored somewhere in the scrolls or annals of the Realms? Aluve, Zanan! (And what does Boareskyr mean if there ain't, please?)
[after Kuje provided Ed’s earlier post about there being no connection between Boareskyr Bridge and the Obarskyr ruling family of Cormyr, Zanan responded, adding: “Could anyone who knows relate to me whether "Boareskyr" means something real, like a telling name? Example given, "boar" could stand for boar (the animal), but the second part of the word is more obscure. To me at least. Now, before I bury myself in etymological dictionaries or the like, maybe some scribe or the Hooded One herself may have the answer. (The alter ego of mine is writing a book about ancient Scottish place names, hence the initial interest.)”]
Ed weighs in:

Zanan, you’ve hit upon something. There is indeed no social or blood connection between the adventurer Boareskyr and the Obarskyrs, but there is a common etymology.
In what is now referred to as “Old Common,” “skyr” meant “blood of” (“of the blood of” in full, meaning kinship). So Boareskyr means “Blood of the Boar” just as “Obarskyr” means “Of the Blood of Obara” (As for who Obara was, ah: that’s Jeff and Kate’s to tell, not mine)...
Boareskyr was a family name (like Obarskyr) by the time the adventurer for whom the Bridge is named bore it, but its origin is lost in the mists of time. It may have had any of these origins: real [or popularly suspected (or spoken of, either as an insult or a flattering compliment) in a community] actual human/boar interbreeding or practice of bestiality; shapechanging blood or one of Boareskyr’s ancestors was a wereboar; or someone in the community thought that ancestor had the qualities of a boar (fought like a boar, rutted like a boar, charged like a boar, smelled like a boar, whatever).

So saith Ed, and there you have it. I’m reminded of someone once telling my mother that her high school nickname meant “randy little bitch,” and her responding tartly, “Not so much of the ‘little.’”
Ahem.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  03:33:01  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
To the great and wonderful Ed Greenwood:

I was considering making a Sun Elf character for roleplay (and possibly later as the main character in a writing piece), and in looking over possible Gold Elf Houses, Alastrarra caught my eye. I know that this House played a major part in Elminster's past (a la the novel).. But I was wondering, is there any information known to you about the House as it stands today, in modern Faerun?

Are they powerful? Prevalent? Weak? Declining? Primarily resident in Evermeet only, or also with branches in Silverymoon and/or Evereska? Connections to the Eldreth Veluuthra?

Any knowledge at all would be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000