Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2006 :  22:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I was wondering if you could tell me about taxes in Suzail. Is there a sales tax on the kinds of items that adventurers might want to buy? Things like food, ale, lodging, both basic goods and the more expensive kind: special inks, spellbooks, finely crafted armor and magic items. What about on services like stabling and hiring a messenger or guide? How are such taxes collected? What are the rates? And do they vary based on the type of good or service?

What if an adventurer were to sell his own items, would he owe the crown a portion? How would he go about paying that? And what might be the penalty if he failed to give the crown its due?

Also, what about property taxes? Are there taxes on the sale of land? Any periodic taxes on owning land? How often might they be collected? Quarterly? Annually? Monthly? Are you required to go and pay your taxes or does a tax collector come round and collect?

Thanks in advance for your kind answers!

What other surprising taxes, tarrifs or fees might an adventurer in Suzail stumble across?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  01:47:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Back in March, Mkhaiwati posted several questions. Ed now tackles the first and easiest of them: “I am not sure if you have heard of the phrase in show business "Will it play in Peoria?" meaning, will middle america like the play. What Realmsian equivalent will that be? I figure Waterdeep would be a close approximation of Broadway, but what about the smaller cities?”
Ed replies:

The expression is of course familiar to me; your question was, in fact, one that Jeff Grubb specifically asked me back in 1986. The Faerûnian equivalent is: “Will it make the village smith smile?” (Which has been shortened in everyday usage to: “But will the smith smile?”)

So saith Ed. Short and sweet. (By the way, here’s an addendum from my notes, of Ed DMing us years ago: the Realmsian way of asking “Will the locals approve?” is “Ah, but will THAT pass the old crone by the well?”)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  02:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

The expression is of course familiar to me; your question was, in fact, one that Jeff Grubb specifically asked me back in 1986. The Faerûnian equivalent is: “Will it make the village smith smile?” (Which has been shortened in everyday usage to: “But will the smith smile?”)

That's cute.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message
A question for Master Greenwood, and I do apologize if this has been asked before...(if so then please do not trouble him as the scirbes here can point me ot the correct scroll )

The official roll of years stops in 1600. Much has been written in terms of the past, including some jaunts involving time-travel. But I wonder how Mr. Greenwood sees time and 'the future' in the Realms.

Do the realms have a future? Is the progrssion of things (time - technology) slower? Is Faerun ever likely to move beyond 1600? In a Faerun 2001 DR does he forsee world of orcs in suits, skyscrapers, taxis, technology and magic (the closest gaming equivalent I can think of is Shadowrun) or is the world moving at a much slower pace and never meant to achieve such a period in his mind?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  11:22:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
The Roll of Years that we know of stops at 1600 DR because it's far enough in the future to keep things going for a long time (at the rate of current releases, it'll be a thousand years before Realms-time reaches 1600!), and because that's as far out as the guys making the list wanted to take it. They'd already done an impressive job, compiling the countless "Year of" references that already existed, putting them all on a list, and filling in the hundreds of blanks.

So, to answer part of your question, the fact that the Roll stops at 1600 does not indicate that's when Armageddon, Ragnarok, or a huge Going Out of Business sale is going to happen.

And, as I said, that's the list *we* have. Folk in the Realms -- particularly at Candlekeep -- prolly know of a more comprehensive Roll that includes many years past the Year of Unseen Enemies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  13:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeboaster of Ordulin

quote:
Very good friend and Realms Master ... Eric Boyd is away in Cambridge UK at the moment ... would it be Steven Schend? Or some other Realms Master we are unaware of?

Rumor has it that Mr. Krashos is away from Candlekeep for some time. Perhaps it is for a pilgrimage to Places Most Remote?

I note that Ed will be in my beloved home, Ann Arbor, in November as the GoH at U-Con. With both Ed and Eric potentially in town at the same time, I would not be surprised to find myself spying upon various Realms denizens via my tall perch above the University of Michigan campus as the veil between worlds is thinned by the presence of two Realms Loremasters!

Make it three....I'm planning on attending as well.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  15:52:02  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

How does the Elven calendar work? How are they reckoning their years?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  02:18:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed tackles RodOdom’s questions: “One of bits of Realmslore I find really interesting is the ondonti, those pacifistic orcs currently hiding out north of the Ride. My question is, have there been any attempt by elves or humans to "civilize" the goblin races? By peaceful means such as cultural exchange, or even less enlightened methods like conquest?”
Ed replies:

Yes, repeated attempts by humans, but none by the elves (except magical experimentations on the minds of individual captured orcs, by some elven spellcasters seeking a way to make orcs more “useful” or at least less fecund and warlike, and hence less dangerous as neighbours). Human attempts have included everything from attempts - - all failures - - to conquer and govern (small, newly-settled hamlets of orcs, with a firm human rule, laws, and police, using the orcs as paid grunt labour in mining-work), to train (by taking orc slaves and using human slaves to exhaustively tutor and oversee them in “civilized” dress, speech, and work; the orcs could obey very well, but were always just waiting for a chance to break out of their slavery and butcher everyone involved in their oppression), and even by trading “ensure good behaviour” Court captives (I’ll send you my son and you send me yours) to try to foster better relations (the orcs always tortured and slew such exchanged humans, not caring what reprisals the humans took).
That doesn’t mean such overtures won’t be tried again, or that they won’t eventually work. Obould and other smart orc leaders have seen the value of “blending in and playing nice” - - for a time. It remains to be seen how far they can move their race in that direction; orc obedience tends to last just as long as tyrannical leadership (over them) does.

So saith Ed. Who has, he tells me, no plans to include experiments with orcs in any of his novels anytime soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  10:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
For some reason I found that reply very amusing, and interesting.
Thanks THO and Ed, and to RodOdom for asking the question.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  13:00:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
My dearest Hooded One, I must bother you with an other question for Ed.

What is the size of the major Faerunian rivers? I am thinking of average width and depth. In the sources I have seen the only information is the sailabilty of the waterways, but nothing more. I also wondered about the riverbanks on the major rivers; are we talking heavy vegetation, grassy banks or marshes. The Ashaba is pretty easy to guess, but i am wondering about rivers like the Chionthar and Winding Water.

I am sorry for increasing the already mounting heap of questions, but I cant remember ever seen anything on this subject.

Thank you for any information you can give on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  15:42:06  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
That was a very informative question/answer, but i would then have to ask this where did the blue goblins in the realms come from? I am assuming that blue goblins exist in the Realms, but then how did they come about, illithid experiments, or something done by powerful magic or psionic empires of old? hmmmm.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  15:45:38  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Great thanks again to Ed and Lady THO. An orc in a doublet and hose - I can see why they just had no choice but to eat those crazy humans.
Go to Top of Page

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  17:50:26  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message
I don't have hours to read every question ever asked or every answer ever given, so this question may have already been covered, but I'll ask it anyway and keep out of flailing distance.

Is there any information in the Mysteries of the Moonsea Campaign setting, that should be coming out soon, about the Border Forest and the mountains directly north of it?

Also, is there any way of contacting Ed Greenwood for serious professional questions? Or if not, who should I contact if I'm seriously interested in writing a novel for Forgotten Realms? I have an idea that a lot of people think is a good one, but before I start writing it, I'd like to see if they'd be interested in any way. I'd rather not waste my time if there's absolutely no chance. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rich Horrocks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  18:00:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LoneHeroDragon

Is there any information in the Mysteries of the Moonsea Campaign setting, that should be coming out soon, about the Border Forest and the mountains directly north of it?

Not that I've noticed, but I'm still working my way thru the Melvaunt section. If you ask in the Mysteries of the Moonsea scroll, someone will be able to help you.

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHeroDragon

Also, is there any way of contacting Ed Greenwood for serious professional questions? Or if not, who should I contact if I'm seriously interested in writing a novel for Forgotten Realms? I have an idea that a lot of people think is a good one, but before I start writing it, I'd like to see if they'd be interested in any way. I'd rather not waste my time if there's absolutely no chance. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

While many of us would love to write in the Realms, it's a sad fact that Wizards does not, so far as I know, accept unsolicited manuscripts. They prefer to say, "Hey, you, write a novel with this plot."

However, if you want some advice, then I'd recommend the Author's forum scroll.

Ed's got a huge amount of stuff on his plate, and these questions would likely take a while for him to get to. By going to the threads I mention, you'll get help a lot quicker. The latter thread has many authors replying, so you've get multiple viewpoints, which is always good.

Go to Top of Page

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  18:15:26  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message
Well.... Maybe I could submit the plot for consideration. Who knows? Maybe they'd like it. I know a lot of readers would. I've asked a lot of my friends and random people who read Forgotten Realms and they all thought it was amazing. Even if I don't get to write it, at least if it got accepted, my idea would be shared with millions of readers. *shrugs* Thank you, by the way.

Anyone else with answers?

Rich Horrocks

Edited by - LoneHeroDragon on 21 Jun 2006 18:32:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ed and my Lady Hooded One, I found a question floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by EricKRod

Mr. Greenwood,

I was just wondering what your original intentions were with this dale that had been destroyed so long ago. Was the Dusklord really evil and consorting with demons? Or were the other dales feeling threatned?

I had planned in my FR campaign world to have a very powerful Paladin of Lathander, who claimed a tie to the bloodline of the Dusklord, to return to the dale at the head of an army of followers and priests of Lathander and Chauntea. His goal is to start a new begining by naming the land 'Dawndale' and reseeding the ground with the aid of the priests of Chauntea. At the North end of the dale he will place a keep, run by his cousin a priest of Lathander. At the south end of the dale, near the woods edge, his other cousin, a powerful Ranger, will be in charge.

Not knowing enough of the background behind the Dusklord, I was wondering if you could enlighten me?

Thanks,

Eric in Vegas

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  03:28:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time Ed makes answer to TheHermit, in the matter of: “In the entry for Essembra in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, the statue of the Mantled King is mentioned as having been enchanted by a mischevious wizard. But the promised detail is never given, as far as I can find. Have I missed it all these years, or was it something that got caught by the heavy hand of editing?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Joe. Yes, the details I gave were caught by that editorial heavy hand you mentioned, even though I tamed them down quite a bit from what I originally wrote, which follows:

The statue of Aencar Vigilant has an illusion cast on it that makes it seem to respond to those who touch any part of it while examining it, and to those who try to cast spells on it.
The statue appears to wink at most people, blow kisses to some, or turn its head and grin (some have described it as a “leer”), or swing open its breastplate to reveal a very voluptuous - - and faintly glowing - - pair of bare and decidedly feminine breasts, or do the same with its codpiece to appear to urinate into the air (upon which occasions its male member glows brightly). Other, rarer illusory actions have also been observed, but they seem to correspond to specific spells cast on or in the vicinity of the statue.
The statue also has a power that seems rooted in another, older magic: it can emit the call of a warhorn, sounding far off but drawing nearer.
Many passing mages have tried to remove the illusory enchantments from the statue, but all have failed. More than one has said even stronger magics protect the statue - - and that it may therefore have great powers, as yet unrevealed, that await Essembra’s time of need.

So saith Ed. Who had the statue exhibit some of those powers during our visits to Battledale. Torm amused himself greatly, of course.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  03:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
...or swing open its breastplate to reveal a very voluptuous - - and faintly glowing - - pair of bare and decidedly feminine breasts, or do the same with its codpiece to appear to urinate into the air (upon which occasions its male member glows brightly).

Oooh, that's naughty!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  03:45:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message

Not only do I love that level of detail, but I love the mischief of it all, too!

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  03:45:17  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
That is an awesome statue...

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  19:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and THO,

I have a Dungeon Master-oriented question for Master Greenwood. I remember reading about the exploits of the Knights of Myth Drannor in the 1e product "Hall of Heroes." I really enjoyed that brief recounting and can't wait for Swords of Eveningstar. One of the things that I remember from that passage is that the Knights explored Gauntlgrym.

I'm planning to run a GenCon adventure for my group set largely in that ruined city and I was hoping that you'd give me some tips for conveying the feel of the place (I have read the sources FR5, The North Box and Underdark 3e).

Thanks in advance and as always for many hours of Realms enjoyment here!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  19:15:26  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Athenon

Ed and THO,

I have a Dungeon Master-oriented question for Master Greenwood. I remember reading about the exploits of the Knights of Myth Drannor in the 1e product "Hall of Heroes." I really enjoyed that brief recounting and can't wait for Swords of Eveningstar. One of the things that I remember from that passage is that the Knights explored Gauntlgrym.

I'm planning to run a GenCon adventure for my group set largely in that ruined city and I was hoping that you'd give me some tips for conveying the feel of the place (I have read the sources FR5, The North Box and Underdark 3e).

Look at last year answers, I asked about it when I read the last Drizzt trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  20:12:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Athenon

Ed and THO,

Look at last year answers, I asked about it when I read the last Drizzt trilogy.

It's actually under a Jan 6, 2006 reply. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Thanks Kuje - Sorry to be repetitive! I do, now, remember reading that reply; it had just slipped my mind. It looks like THO didn't enjoy the experience...

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

Orog-Hai
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Orog-Hai's Homepage Send Orog-Hai a Private Message
Hi Ed, I have some questions.

I was wondering if you could answer me how Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta looked like in your original Realms. I'm particularly interested in their religion,i.e. the God Kings. Were they part of your original Realms. I'm also interested about how Calimshan looked like in original Realms(I think someone said it wasn't entirely turkish). My last question is about racial pantheons. Did they exist in original Realms,a nd if they didn't what gods would non-human races worship? Did you drop any of your original gods from the final version?

Thank you, and I apologize if you answered any of these questions previously.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  21:33:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orog-Hai

Hi Ed, I have some questions.

I was wondering if you could answer me how Mulhorand, Unther and Chessenta looked like in your original Realms. I'm particularly interested in their religion,i.e. the God Kings. Were they part of your original Realms. I'm also interested about how Calimshan looked like in original Realms(I think someone said it wasn't entirely turkish). My last question is about racial pantheons. Did they exist in original Realms,a nd if they didn't what gods would non-human races worship? Did you drop any of your original gods from the final version?

Thank you, and I apologize if you answered any of these questions previously.

He has. :) But Ed might answer them again. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Jun 2006 21:36:48
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  00:56:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, scribes. Herewith, Ed tackles RevJest’s queries: “Master Greenwood, Two questions in regards to the previously mentioned Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.
1. If Elminster doesn't know how to create a safehold, how did he acquire his?
2. Who or what is The Sorceress in Grey? Can you tell us more about her?”
Ed replies:

1. Elminster was given his Safehold by a grateful Azuth, in thanks for services rendered. The god led Elminster to a safehold created by someone else (who was deceased; only Azuth knows who that someone was), and attuned it to El (to try to keep him sane longer, by giving him a place to “get away” from Mystra, whilst being her lover). Curiously, Elminster’s memories of this are very hazy, and slipping away swiftly . . .

2. I am very sorry, but the all-too-familiar NDA wall is up again. Hopefully I can reveal more in a year or so. Sigh.

So saith Ed. Sigh, indeed. We Knights have seen the Sorceress, but it was not a happy occasion.
Ed tells me he’ll fall silent for one day, or at the most two, but then return. In the meantime, he’d like to propose a question to all of you: before the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy ends, which Knights-related characters, situations, and events do you most want to see?
He makes no promises, mind, but he DOES want to know what you’d all like to see.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  01:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
I must admit I'm curious as to the reason (whether in-realms or out-of-realms) why Torm (the Knight of Myth Drannor) and Torm (the god) have the same name.

Granted having the same name isn't exactly an impossiblity, but I find it amusing such radically different 'people' if you will have the same name.

Plus Torm is my idol (Along with Jack Ravenwild and Silk from The Belgariad series by David Eddings)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  01:07:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, I can answer this one.
One touch of realism that Ed had in the original Realms, that TSR largely expunged for the sake of clarity and simplicity, was lots of characters with the same first names (how many "Johns" do you know?), a demon and a devil with the same name (Astaroth, if I recall correctly) so those making the SLIGHTEST mistake in the ritual for one could end up with the other arriving, not under their control at all (!), and, of course, lots of children named after gods (Torm the thief being one of those - - and, yes, his personal character, as played by Victor Selby, tending to make this a mockery of what the god stands for). So in the "home" Realms there are LOTS of name confusion incidents; it all makes for more and better roleplaying.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  01:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
This leads me to wonder then, as we know gods get their power simply by a person intoning their name (although obviously more so from their faithful), whether the gods power came from a sincere intoning of their name or not.

Every time one of the other knights reprimanded Torm, would Torm the God become slightly more powerful. Bet that one would mess with his mind (aha Torm by misbehaving we rebuke you and so make the god of duty a bit stronger, get over that one )

Random musings :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000