Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  23:38:10  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message
Hey, Ed. I am curious as to what denizens other than kobolds make their home in the Clawrift.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  03:06:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Back in April, Kaladorm posted: “After happening to glance upon a (possibly misprinted) passage in City of the Spider Queen I noted that Randal Morn mentions a Temple of Tyr in Dagger Falls. The Sage pointed out for me that it was either a misprint, or could be a reference to Tunfer the Stout, here http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6688
Please could you tell me a little more about Tunfer the Stout, particularly his relations to the Knights of Holy Judgement and the Hammers of Grimjaws (or even better if there is an actually temple of tyr that’s not been written about yet). Thanks for your time.”
Ed replies:

There is indeed now a temple of Tyr in Dagger Falls, and it is indeed headed (and was founded) by Tunfer the Stout, only about a year before CITY OF THE SPIDER-QUEEN. Tunfer is an amiable, rotund glutton of a man who is one of the “rocks upon which Tyr’s faith is built.” By which I mean: he came to Daggerdale, a war-torn region “ruled” by an exhausted Randal Morn (who spent much of his time in the saddle galloping here to butcher orc raiders, there to quell brigands, over here to slay a monster that had prowled down out of the Spiderhaunt or the wilds, and then right back up the realm to fight more orcs again), and concerned himself ONLY with Daggerdale, and making it a safe, civilized, just place to live, by establishing local justice.
Tunfer began with a tent and a lot of (low-level) priests who were willing to serve as his eyes and ears, lecturing folk on “what was just and right” and arresting those who defied them. At first, his presence and presumption (some fat outlander, judging us!) were resented, but as person after person saw and heard his reasoned judgements - - and Tunfer ALWAYS explains his rulings, in open court - - and saw that he wasn’t asking for much in the way of offerings (“bring me a stone, shaped for building, that I may in time raise a temple”), and had no desire for power (“a good man rules you, and you dwell in a wild garden that in time - - if we all work hard enow - - will be stunningly beautiful; I am but the gardener, doing these least pleasant tending, for the enjoyment of all”) and had little interest in wider politics, but only in settling disputes large and small (childrens’ fights over beautiful stones, or kittens, as well as knives drawn over dispute boundary-fences and livestock), his popularity grew. He has no shred of pomposity or personal aggrandizement, and will readily admit when he’s been wrong, and apologize and seek to mend matters.
Randal Morn met with Tunfer, got to know him, and regards him as a godsend: Tyr’s favor upon Daggerdale, Randal’s divine reward for fighting so hard and long for the land he loves.
So with the help of all folk in Daggerdale that Randal could persuade (most of the populace), a temple was swiftly built: a large, simple stone building with a thatch-and-pole roof, housing a central dirt-floor court (long table at sunken center, surrounded by concentric seating, gently raked up so all can see) and meeting-place surrounded by simple sleeping-chambers all around the inside walls, to be used by persons who’ve traveled there to seek justice, and by Tunfer and his “Hands of Tyr” (priests). So we’re not talking about a large, grand, or ostentatious temple, but rather a public meeting-house, used by Randal Morn to meet with envoys and delegations from around the dale, to make laws and policy in the presence of Tunfer (who points out “holes” and nails down definitions). Tunfer’s Hands travel the roads constantly, as safety-patrols (they have capture-hoods, leg-manacles, and cudgels) and to ask folk about disputes or troubles, and those still at home tend ever-growing vegetable and herb gardens, chicken sheds, and piggeries, selling what they produce to support themselves (and, in their spare time, digging out and lining with stone ever-expanding granary-cellars for times of need). Most of these priests are 3rd level or less.
Tunfer himself has no time for “crusading” Tyrrans, or requests to join in larger battles for justice elsewhere: he concerns himself only with Daggerdale, and equal justice for all who dwell there. He will enlist adventurers as “hands to fight the defiantly lawless, and drive them forth or give them death, that they not trouble good and just folk longer,” but he expects them to abide by the rules he verbally gives them (along the lines of: “we have laws here, and you must follow them: no wanton slaughter or wounding, no thefts or seizures by force, no pillaging, rape, or arson, and nothing gives you any greater right or authority than the dirtiest child you meet”). Tunfer, by the way, doesn’t believe in imprisonment as punishment. The unrepentantly evil are to be killed or driven off (exiled from the dale), and everyone else is to make redress, by work at the temple or on the roads under Randal Morn’s direction if they can’t repay their victims directly.

So saith Ed. Embroidering another little piece of the great tapestry that is the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  10:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
My heartfelt thanks for that great reply, I always read this scroll as it has loads of useful information, but there's nothing quite as exciting as having your own question answered in glorious detail.

Give Ed a big kiss
Go to Top of Page

Miri - Jala
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  21:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Miri - Jala's Homepage Send Miri - Jala a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

First off, I would like to thank you Ed for the wonderful characters you have brought to us! I have become an avid reader of the Forgotten Realms since I found them last year. I have alot of books to catch up on!

I have a question on one of my favorite characters, Elminster. Does he have any sons? I know he has daughters including Narnra, Laspeera, and Queen Filfaeril. If so, who were the mothers? Maybe a son by Mystra herself hidden somewhere? Maybe he's got a son almost as old as he is.

On a side note...Could you give us any detail about the Gen-Con convention. When you'll be signing and doing seminars? Are there going to be any D&D gaming you'll be participating in? I've no experience in it but would like to see what its about.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:04:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. Back in April, RodOdom asked: “is the son of Dove Falconhand still living on Evermeet? Or would he be grown and living on the mainland now, in the current game year (1373?)” and Master Lorelord George Krashos replied: “The novel "Evermeet" notes in passing that he is a ranger who roams the wild areas north of Shadowdale.”
Ed would just like to add this:

George is correct, and I’m afraid (NDAs again) that his reply will have to suffice for now. I can only add this hint: I Have Plans for this character that may well happen offstage but bear future fruit in the Realms, in years to come.

So saith Ed. Well, now . . .
Well, well, well (sploosh) Well!
love to all,THO
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well met again, fellow scribes. Back in April, RodOdom asked: “is the son of Dove Falconhand still living on Evermeet? Or would he be grown and living on the mainland now, in the current game year (1373?)” and Master Lorelord George Krashos replied: “The novel "Evermeet" notes in passing that he is a ranger who roams the wild areas north of Shadowdale.”
Ed would just like to add this:

George is correct, and I’m afraid (NDAs again) that his reply will have to suffice for now. I can only add this hint: I Have Plans for this character that may well happen offstage but bear future fruit in the Realms, in years to come.

So saith Ed. Well, now . . .
love to all,THO

Bear fruit...interesting choice of words

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:09:08  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

From published Realmslore we know that Mielikki, Florin's goddess, told him to marry Dove. So obvious divine fingerprints abound! No surprise that the lad may have a destiny before him.

- RJ
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:16:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
THO,

can you check your email again? Had a private interest I wanted to discuss with you. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Halaster Blackcloak
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  08:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Halaster Blackcloak's Homepage Send Halaster Blackcloak a Private Message
I had two questions for Ed.

First, where did the inspiration for Halaster Blackcloak and Undermountain come from? Ruins of Undermountain is my all time favorite game accessory/adventure and I was curious as to where it all originated.

On a side note, I came across an old episode of Night Gallery (the Rod Serling tv show from the 70's) titled "Messiah on Mott Street", and it features an actor who would be perfect to play Halaster in a movie. Here is a not-so-great screen cap with Halaster's image from RoU mixed in:

http://users4.ev1.net/~dormammu/halaster-movie-color2.jpg

I thought he'd make a great Halaster.

Second question, where did the inspiration for Szass Tam come from? Again, I found a movie that features a character that's stunningly similar in appearance:

http://users4.ev1.net/~dormammu/szass-tam3.jpg

Thanks Ed, for all the help and for giving us the Realms!

Halaster Blackcloak
Creator of Undermountain
Faithful Old-School Grognard

Visit the new Back In Print Project Website:

http://www.undermountain.org/bip.html

Edited by - Halaster Blackcloak on 04 Jun 2006 08:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  09:51:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:

love to all,THO

Shocking joke
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  02:51:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Verghityax recently posted: “I've just got one quickie about Red Raven Mercenary Company. Is Rayanna the Rose still the leader of the group? And what impact had the war brought to Cormyr by the Devil Dragon on the Red Ravens?”
Ed replies:

Please see my answer to Mkhaiwati on page 12 of this thread (yes, the 2006 vintage). To that, I’ll add: yes, Rayanna the Rose (badly wounded in that war, and a long time recovering) is still the leader.

So saith Ed. The brevity of his reply makes me think he knows or suspects NDAs related to the Red Ravens. Hmm.
P.S. Kaladorm: big kiss duly delivered. Made Ed smile happily.
Oh, and sorry about the joke. Sometimes I'm bad . . . and sometimes I'm worse.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Jun 2006 02:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  11:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Hi again, Ed and Lady Hood.

These questions came up suddenly from the past.

Did Lord Chess have any kind of power in Zhentil Keep, political or otherwise, or was he just a puppet figurehead for the Zhentarim?

Could there be any chance that you and Jeff Grubb someday write a novel together again?

Thank you kindly.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  20:59:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Greetings to the enchanting Hooded One and the ever helpfull Ed Greenwood.

Looking back at the earlier Forgotten Realms campaignsettings there is a couple of npc's i have been wishing to learn more about.

I was wondering if Ed could tell me anything about the Zenthilar Yorel as I have not seen him mentioned since before the fall of Zenthil Keep; could you tell me more of the personality of this dreaming character?

The now dead Rhauntides, the sage of Deepingdale is also a character i have been interested in for years. Is there something of the mages history you could share with us?

Thank you for any words you can give me about these ( and for all the years with the Realms).
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  23:07:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Greetings All,

My question today has been on my mind for awhile and I've looked through my tomes,unless I've missed an ecology of Trolls in a past dragon issue then ignore my post. I'm assuming that Faerun regeneration is now 3.5 and now limbs and parts wither and die if not reattached and not form whole new troll, might be confusing systems...sorry if so.

If a limb is removed from the body does the owner still have control of it's movement regardless of distance to say " crawl to me." Kind of going by book depictions which has them crawling all over the place, after foe or back to main body. How long before this limb loses animation if left on its own?

Where is the energy coming from to regrow the bones/nerves, tissue, and organs, does this regenerative ability regrow a brain if removed say by Illithid brain suck? My mage is going with a natural minute siphoning of faerun magic theory of the troll and will test this theory by placing troll in dead magic area and seeing if it heals wounds. If it does then my mage is going to be consumed with how to create this in non-trolls and more importantly learn the significance of fire/ acid vul against standard troll. Where the first troll originated and it's reproduction and can this regenerative ability to passed on to a creature -sadly, horribly- mated with a troll.

Have you any opinion on the topic?

Thanks and see you at Gen con hopefully.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  23:20:08  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

The now dead Rhauntides, the sage of Deepingdale is also a character i have been interested in for years. Is there something of the mages history you could share with us?

Rhauntides is dead?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  23:31:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

quote:

Rhauntides is dead?

Yes, check the FRCS. :) I learned this when I finally read the FRCS cover to cover awhile back. :) And I was going to ask Ed about his apprentice leaving and where she went but I figured that was NDA and so I sighed and went, Nah, don't bother. Grin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Jun 2006 23:43:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  01:08:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

quote:

Rhauntides is dead?

Yes, check the FRCS. :) I learned this when I finally read the FRCS cover to cover awhile back. :) And I was going to ask Ed about his apprentice leaving and where she went but I figured that was NDA and so I sighed and went, Nah, don't bother. Grin.

I asked Ed back in August '05.

George tinkered with the description in Highmoon regarding Shaunil Tharm when the FRCS was in development. Originally, Rhauntides died in 1371 DR and Shaunil wasn't even mentioned. Though George did conceptualise an adventure which deals with just what Shaunil Tharm is up to. We just haven't learned anymore as yet...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  02:40:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. New scribe Miri - Jala recently posted: “Dear Ed and THO, First off, I would like to thank you Ed for the wonderful characters you have brought to us! I have become an avid reader of the Forgotten Realms since I found them last year. I have a lot of books to catch up on!
I have a question on one of my favorite characters, Elminster. Does he have any sons? I know he has daughters including Narnra, Laspeera, and Queen Filfaeril. If so, who were the mothers? Maybe a son by Mystra herself hidden somewhere? Maybe he's got a son almost as old as he is.
On a side note...Could you give us any detail about the Gen-Con convention. When you'll be signing and doing seminars? Are there going to be any D&D gaming you'll be participating in? I've no experience in it but would like to see what its about.”
Ed replies:

Well met, and welcome, Miri - Jala. I’m glad you’ve found the Realms, and I hope it remains a warm, inviting home for your dreams for years to come!
Elminster does have sons, yes, and a few of them are still alive. Over his thousand-some years of lusty living, he’s sired quite a few offspring, though not nearly as many as he would have done if Mystra hadn’t been applying her silent “you’re one of my Chosen, and I don’t want you to father anyone just now, so here’s my birth control” powers so often.
Narnra is a “direct” daughter of Elminster; Laspeera and Filfaeril were bending the truth a little to make her feel better when they spoke thus: they’re among Elminster’s many grand and great-grand, and great-great-grand (and so on) -children.
Elminster’s seed seems to favour female offspring over males, but yes, it’s quite possible he’s got a son almost as old as he is. I would say more, but I’m dodging NDAs like crazy here. Let me just note that MYSTRA decides when or if any of her Chosen will “cause” children, and if any such offspring will have any aptitude for magic or become Chosen. If you can get access to THE SEVEN SISTERS sourcebook (a 2nd edition tome I wrote some years back), more of this is hinted at; THE SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER sourcebook I penned is also fun related reading, too. SISTERS has some fiction snippets, SECRETS very few, so if you’re enjoying the Realms for fiction and not gaming, try not to spend much to get a glance at these; I’ll rely on the moderators and veteran scribes of Candlekeep to pass on to you if either of these books is a free download, and where such e-sources may be found.
As for GenCon: the “original” GenCon, now GenCon Indy, is a huge convention; so big that I tend to recommend to first-time attendees that they don’t try to sign up for much of anything, but just see the exhibit hall, the art exhibit, and attend seminars and new game launches and just gawk and have fun. Then they’ll know EXACTLY what they want to try to get registered for in their second year. As usual, my schedule (set by Wizards of the Coast, the GenCon staff, the friends I want to see and dine with, and usually a few other companies I’m writing for [this year, that might well mean that a teaser or two for a little something of mine called “Castlemourn” is finally seen at the con], or - - as in this year - - the lovely Elaine Cunningham working tirelessly to set up a signing schedule for game fiction authors, at the con) isn’t “set” yet. Here are my preliminary plans: no actual gaming that I know of, yet (at GenCon, such events usually end up being “auction seats off for charity” sessions, and I only run 2nd edition “roleplaying not rules,” gaming novices very much welcome so I can draw newcomers into the hobby and show local mayors, police chiefs, and other dignitaries that we’re NOT dangerous security risks and crazies, but amiable fun crazies :}); my usual Spin A Yarn the audience-provides-story-elements-and-I-write-
a-website-Realms-tale (with Linae Foster as my “straight woman” this year, I believe, rather than Mary-Elizabeth Allen, who’s retired from Wizards - - I should warn you that this seminar tends to get rather, ahem, lewd); PERHAPS a Secrets of the Realms or Realms All-Stars panel or something of the sort (with Wizards staff and me sitting with them, saying as little as possible about forthcoming products), and the aforementioned author signing. I’m afraid my schedule seldom gets finalized until mere days before the con, but I go to GenCon to meet people and have fun, I hang around for all of it, and I don’t charge for autographs; I’m happy to hang out and just talk with gamers who want to talk with me, if I haven’t already promised to be somewhere specific at sometime specific and do something else. So if you do make it down and see me, stop and say “Hi!” I don’t bite (er, at least on the first date :}).
I urge you - - and every gamer - - to attend GenCon at least once. It’s a huge trade fair (more games and game “stuff” like glowing dice and T-shirts and fantasy art then you’ll ever see anywhere else in one place, for sale) and gamer conflab, usually hectic, overcrowded, and lots of fun. Some love it, some don’t like the experience - - but everyone should give it a try. See you there, I hope.

So saith Ed. Who hopes to see more of the Candlekeep stalwarts at GenCon this year, and his old friends from the Realms-list, too. He didn’t mention how FULL his schedule gets, every year: don’t be surprised if you see him hurrying everywhere, when you do see him.
I just might attend for a day or two, myself (in disguise, of course).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  04:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
It'd be wonderful to encounter your lustfullness THO when your in my domain, as I do only live just an hour and half away from GenCon Indy's location

Come south to where I'm at and I'm sure you and someone will love to roll down the great hills and bath nude in the babbling creeks

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 06 Jun 2006 04:18:16
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  06:19:41  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Hi again Ed, just doing my bit to keep adding to the piles of questions, no doubt stacked extradimensionally by now, in your queue.

I've been looking at compiling a descriptive list of woods suitable for carving etc. for a player of mine and my first stop has been with the Volo's guides and Ecologies. And a wonderful source of detail they are too :) The newer editions don't have quite as much information, but still usueful. However, I'm intrigued by the passing references to Barausk and Rosecork trees in Elminster's Ecologies (the Settled Lands Chapter). Barausk (found in Harrowdale and Deepingdale) is well described as a tree and has the property of drying iron hard. Rosecork is only decribed as being native to the Isle of Prespur and "virtually fireproof and becoming increasingly popular with builders".

Lovely stuff, but I'm greedy, I want more :) Would you be so kind as to expand on these two varieties perhaps? The colour and grain of the wood and whether it suitable or useless for carving, inlay etc.?

And if Elminster could wave his magic wand and bring you (and maybe even GenCon (the one and only)) to Australia someday, I'm sure there are many Realms fans who would be delighted to trek across the continent in order to shake your hand.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  01:27:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed tackles this query from the obsolete: “i asked elaine this question but she wasnt sure about it. so maybe you can better help me. do you know who the two persons on the front cover of, city of splendors novel are?”

As it happens, I’ve already asked Ed the same question, and he revealed that he’d gently and teasingly asked Peter Archer the very same thing. No answer has been forthcoming from J.P. Targete thus far, so Ed concocted an answer for we players “to suffice until something more definitive comes along.” Here it is:

The darkly handsome male is Baldovar Zulpair, a young noble fascinated by adventurers. He’s showing a visiting Silvaeren adventurer, the knight protector Charrara Snowriver, the splendid view of Waterdeep afforded by the highest balcony in Piergeiron’s Palace, trying to impress her so he can bed her.
It isn’t going to work.

So saith Ed. Who didn’t think the characters looked sufficiently like any of the protagonists in CITY OF SPLENDORS to pass for them, but that the male was wealthy and quite possibly noble (it MIGHT be Beldar Roaringhorn, but then again . . .), but that the female couldn’t be a Waterdhavian native, who could get an even more impressive view of the city on any clear-weather day by simply climbing the higher trails up Mount Waterdeep that feature briefly near the end of the novel. Ed would have wanted to see Beldar or Taeros showing the city to Naoni or Lark, but one can’t have everything.
Though I, for one, am not going to stop trying.

P.S. HunterOfStorms, Ed did tour the eastern coast of Oz, from Brisbane in the north down through Adelaide (conventions in Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra, ABC television and radio, bookstore and gaming store appearances in Woolongong, Toowoomba, Sydney, and I’m sure some other places he forgot to mention to me), in a five-week stint in 1994 with “Uncle” Wes Nicholson, touring for ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE. He’d love to return, but he’s so blamed busy writing that he can’t see a chance to for at least five years, and maybe ten. Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  02:01:30  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
It's a shame I missed that opportunity (and in Adelaide too <sigh>), Lady THO. And while I fully understand how hectic Ed's life must be, in Canada alone, it doesn't stop me wishing that Australia was maybe a little closer to Canada geographically :) or that Ed was many cloned <heheh>. Still, hope may spring eternal ...

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Miri - Jala
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  02:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Miri - Jala's Homepage Send Miri - Jala a Private Message
quote:

(snip)
my usual Spin A Yarn the audience-provides-story-elements-and-I-write-a-website-Realms-tale (with Linae Foster as my “straight woman” this year, I believe, rather than Mary-Elizabeth Allen, who’s retired from Wizards - - I should warn you that this seminar tends to get rather, ahem, lewd);
(snip)
I’m happy to hang out and just talk with gamers who want to talk with me, if I haven’t already promised to be somewhere specific at sometime specific and do something else. So if you do make it down and see me, stop and say “Hi!” I don’t bite (er, at least on the first date :}).
(snip)

Thanks Ed for taking the time to answer my questions about Elminster and GenCon Indy. Its greatly appreciated. Your Spin A Yarn seminar sounds like its going to be really interesting...can't wait to see what you come up with. What did you mean by Linae Foster as my “straight woman”...? As for the biting...wellll...you can skip the "not on the first date" rule , just make sure there aren't any tell-tale teeth marks afterward. From what you and THO said, you are going to be a very busy man! If you would like help with anything at the Con, errands run, gopher this, gopher that, I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  04:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Miri - Jala

quote:

(snip)
my usual Spin A Yarn the audience-provides-story-elements-and-I-write-a-website-Realms-tale (with Linae Foster as my “straight woman” this year, I believe, rather than Mary-Elizabeth Allen, who’s retired from Wizards - - I should warn you that this seminar tends to get rather, ahem, lewd);
(snip)
I’m happy to hang out and just talk with gamers who want to talk with me, if I haven’t already promised to be somewhere specific at sometime specific and do something else. So if you do make it down and see me, stop and say “Hi!” I don’t bite (er, at least on the first date :}).
(snip)

Thanks Ed for taking the time to answer my questions about Elminster and GenCon Indy. Its greatly appreciated. Your Spin A Yarn seminar sounds like its going to be really interesting...can't wait to see what you come up with. What did you mean by Linae Foster as my “straight woman”...? As for the biting...wellll...you can skip the "not on the first date" rule , just make sure there aren't any tell-tale teeth marks afterward. From what you and THO said, you are going to be a very busy man! If you would like help with anything at the Con, errands run, gopher this, gopher that, I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just let me know.

I don't know if this still applies, as it's been a few years since I've been able to see Ed/Elminster in action at Gen Con.....

As a former TSR spokesperson on hand at Elminster Speaks seminars of yore, I can say it's a tough job being the one to try and interrupt Elminster/Ed as he goes into the exact yoga postures necessary to truly understand the religions of Sharess and Eilistraee, exactly which appetites of Mirt's are the strongest, and just how many erogenous zones are found on the adult elf.

In short, the designated "straight-person" is there to toe the line on "what's proper to discuss about the Realms" and Elminster gaily picks up that line and jumps rope with it.

Steven Schend
Who thankfully just gets to skulk in the audience and enjoy this year...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 07 Jun 2006 04:09:02
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  06:05:13  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

Currently I'm running a game taking place primarily within Evermeet and Evereska. One thing that we have largely glossed over is money in elven society. Currency and market prices aren't mentioned in the Evermeet sourcebook. How are elven economies structured? Are they any different than those of humans?
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  07:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest
From published Realmslore we know that Mielikki, Florin's goddess, told him to marry Dove. So obvious divine fingerprints abound! No surprise that the lad may have a destiny before him.

- RJ

Sure it looks that way. But it can be an interesting paradox because Ed said not long ago that " [...] for the gods to gain and lose power by gaining and losing worshippers, and for PCs to truly be heroes, fate and destiny CAN’T exist." But it surely does for novel characters.

- Scarabeus

Edited by - Scarabeus on 07 Jun 2006 07:21:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Good point, Scarabeus. Very good point.
I think Ed would acknowledge the paradox but at the same time point out he was speaking of infallible predestination, whereas what Mielikki did was meddling: trying to set up mortals to do thus-and-so, but not necessarily guaranteeing they'll do it, or guiding them along the way (after the initial commandment), or escorting or protecting them. (Who knows how many other matings she's tried to arrange, in hopes one of them "bears the right fruit"?)
Hi again, everybody. This time, I’m going to tackle a query myself (after consulting with Ed, of course). Swordsage recently posted: “Noticed lately that many authors are selling old gaming material (notes, outlines etc.) on places such as E-Bay. Would Ed ever consider doing this? Can he do this given he sold the rights to the Realms to TSR/WotC?”
Ed wouldn’t consider doing that, no. In his mind, TSR (and so, of course, WotC and now Hasbro) owns everything he sent to them - - not the stuff still in his house, because Bruce Heard, then Acquisitions Manager at TSR, at one point said, “Stop sending us stuff! The cubicles we’re dumping it all in are full! The rest is yours; keep it!” and both Jim Ward, Creative Manager of TSR at the time, and V-P Mike Martin confirmed (I’m paraphrasing here): “If we didn’t ask you for it, it’s yours. However, you can’t publish anything in the Forgotten Realms anywhere else.”)
TSR has on several occasions asked for copies of original novel manuscripts or the “big” Waterdeep maps or other maps to give away as prizes at conventions, and Ed has obliged. So give away, yes. Sell on e-Bay: never.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  00:30:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, I almost forgot:
Miri - Jala, Ed says Steven's answer re. "straight person" is just fine, except that at Spin A Yarn Ed plays Ed, and the poor WotC person is also the stenographer: they write down all the audience-suggested story elements, and later type them into Word, and e-mail Ed the list. Which he then incorporates into the tale. Last year's tale will probably get handed to Wizards around July 1st or so (Ed got that list just last month).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  01:01:31  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Scarabeus

quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

Sure it looks that way. But it can be an interesting paradox because Ed said not long ago that " [...] for the gods to gain and lose power by gaining and losing worshippers, and for PCs to truly be heroes, fate and destiny CAN’T exist." But it surely does for novel characters.

Destiny with a small 'd'. :)

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  01:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
Thanks THO. I was pretty sure that this would be the response, but I just wanted to check - it would be great to see some of the material that sits in his basement.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000