Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  19:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady Hooded One,
I believe I've just spotted an error in "Cormyr" - the 2nd edition supplement. On 30th page there's a map of Waymoot. The Map Key says that 27 locations are supposed to be marked on the map. I've checked it thoroughly several times and I noticed that location number 27 - The Cup and the Spoon Inn - is missing though it should be there. Any idea which building holds the inn?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:04:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed makes answer to Never, in the matter of “I have a few queries for Mr. Greenwood. The first is about non-slave, possibly lethal pit fighting. How popular, and legal, is it in the Realms? Are there any well-known circuits or venues? How much would a prize purse usually be for small locales (such as the basement of an alehouse), middle size locales, and the largest ones (such as a large arena in a metropolis)? The second is military foodstuffs. What would the average meals of an infantry conscript consist of? Thank you for your time and answers.”
Ed replies:

Pit fighting and arena contests, except as non-lethal tests or rites of passage of warrior training, aren’t very popular in the Realms, because tavern brawls are the usual way of letting off steam. Locals sometimes bet on the outcome of fights between local “thicknecks” and truculent visiting outlanders, yes, and tavernmasters who want the ale business and value it over the “get out of here before you break my furniture and crockery” factor often offer, as prizes to winners, free meals (or if it’s an inn, free lodging, stabling, and food for the night). There are also, of course, occasional groupies who want to spend the night with the brawl-winners.
Such contests are rarely illegal (unless a brawl rises into the “endangering the peace” category, particularly if there’s a risk of fire spreading or feuds arising), simply because there are no specific laws against them. There is no “circuit” of professional fighting, but there are some venues (the arena in Hillsfar, the Field of Triumph in Waterdeep, and various outdoor amphitheatres in Calimshan). In places such as Luskan and Athkatla, folk like to bet on fights between humans or trained beasts (often quite small creatures), but such contests are usually held in taverns, clubs, or the private homes of aficionados. In any place in the Realms, prisoners of war or captured raiders (such as orcs) may be allowed to fight for their lives, or fight each other to the death, for local sport, and across slaving areas of the South slaves are often forced to fight each other for the entertainment value it affords their owners and the friends and guests of their owners (blindfolded and oiled nude slave-girls flaying each other with dagger-blade-studded whips, for instance). In Dambrath and other places, honour-duels may become public sport, but we’re straying far from circuits of professional fighters making a living fighting each other.
As for military meals, the answer usually is: whatever the army could forage, almost always thrown into a stew. Cookwagons carry great cauldrons of leftover stew, firewood and kindling, not-yet-peeled potatoes, and all game and livestock (blood and all) slaughtered along the way, for use in cooking when camp is established. So frequently a ‘wartrail’ meal is: watered-down ale (to mitigate fighting and to stretch the drink farther), some hardbread, and stew that the Common saying “armies march on bread and the bowl” has become well-known and lasting. Wealthy realms with well-trained and -equipped troops (Cormyr, for instance) try to feed their warriors on a diet of handloaves of bread, salads drenched in tasty spiced sauces that the men will like and that can be used to cover the taste of food that’s going bad, sausages, and handwheels of cheese. Add those to water (shaken with mint to kill any muddy or swampy taste), and your well-fed men will march and fight for days. Common army cooking trick: roast any foraged meat (livestock or small furry things) over fire and let the drippings douse warming handloaves laid in pans underneath.

So saith Ed. Not a brawler, but a staunch trencherman, to be sure.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:28:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Verghityax, here's a long-ago note from Ed to me, about that very same error:

#27 is missing, but refers to both buildings south of ("below" on the map, also fronting on the triangular "square" where the roads meet) the Kryson horse farm (#9)
"The Cup" is the inn proper, and is the larger and more southerly of the two buildings. "The Spoon" is the stables, but used to be a local feast-house (restaurant, in this case specializing in soup), hence its name.

So saith Ed. There you go! Instant answer!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  03:20:46  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message
i asked elaine this question but she wasnt sure about it. so maybe you can better help me. do you know who the two persons on the front cover of, city of splendors novel are?

Kuje's edit: Added the word novel so Ed doesn't get confused, since there are various Waterdeep materials that have the city of splendors words in them. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 22 May 2006 03:38:24
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  03:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Thank you THO and Ed. :)
All of the information on various foods of the Realms is helping my research, and once Ed finds the time (if it's not NDA'd) to answer my question, I can start my project.
Cheers,
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 22 May 2006 03:24:36
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  16:28:15  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I just want to wish Ed and all Canadian Realms players a Happy Victoria day!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  00:41:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And right back at you, Foxhelm!
Hi again, scribes. This time Ed turns to Trace_Coburn’s post: “Quick vocabulary question for the Bearded Bard: what are the Faerûnian equivalents for the word-concept 'Reaver'? I'd imagine that there are all manner of words for bandits and marauders, of course - including quite a few that probably don't bear repetition in polite company - but I'd like words/phrases which convey a real sense of dread and an impression of truly bestial, over-the-top brutal savagery. An especial focus on Chondathan, elven, and Damaran terms would be nice, but you're probably a little too overloaded to be so specific, so anything you can throw my way would be appreciated.
Thanks muchly.”
Ed replies:

Sure, here we go:
Common gives us the relevant terms “darkblades” for irresponsibly violent mercenaries and warriors (apt to “get out of hand” when given orders, lovers-of-violence and cruelty), “bloodhilts” and “proper bloodhilt work” for butchery and kill-everyone-for-the-satisfaction-of-it sprees, and “bloodstorms” for large and terrible slaughters (massacres that wipe out villages, genocide-like executions of everyone of a race or gender in an area, and so on).
Chondathan has “rakrathen” for professional pirates, mercenaries, and outlaws-through-choice who kill wantonly, and “garrathen” for their raids, but it also has “culdur” for berserk or maniacal slaughter.
Damaran uses “sturrulk” for senseless slaying, “lultaur” (“lull-TOR”) for massacres or large-scale butchery, and “lessaelen” for wanton destruction (burning good shelter in winter or when winter is approaching, despoiling wells or food, leaving bodies to attract monstrous scavengers and so endanger others, and so on).
Elven provdes the word “essraul” for enthusiastic slaying (and the resort to killing over diplomacy or other means of dealing with foes or conflicts), and “arkhdrauth” for willful, wanton, care-for-nothing destruction. “Hahlorkh” are butchers: non-elf brutes and savages - - or (as a deadly insult) elves who behave that way (which is why some elves call drow “lorkh,” implying they’re all savage butchers who lost their elven nature long ago through such behaviour).
And yes, “a little too overloaded” describes my life very well, these days. :}

So saith Ed. Linguistic master of the Realms. Not that there are all that many other candidates . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  02:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I just want to wish Ed and all Canadian Realms players a Happy Victoria day!

Thanks Foxhelm. In Quebec it's now The Patriot's Day. In honor for those who gave their lives to fight the English invasion. Quite Ironic isn't it ?

Next, I second you in your post for more informations on the Song Dragons. I find hard to believe that this whole race is named only after an habit of singing while fighting. But then there are swords that get their names for the same habit. .
Seriously at first I was expecting a sonic breath weapon or voice related powers. I find the Song Dragon description very limited and knowing that Ed never describe anything in a consise manner there is sureley much more about this race. I used these dragons twice in my campaign set in the Moonshaes. I gave them Elven spellsinger (Elfsong) abilities which seemed great with the dragon's name.

Ok ... to append your question.
- Is there any known (or unknown?) song dragons working with the Harpers ? With Flamsterd ?
- What type of magic did you originally made them use ?
- Why do they prefer to stay in human form ? What are their objectives or ambitions ?
- Why are they more numerous in the Moonshaes and did they played any role in the Darwalker War ?

Humm ... that's alot of questions isn't it. That's in part the reason I don't ask to often. My curiosity is limitless, as nearly every sages here. Luckily Candlekeep as yet many shelves to fill.

By the way, congratulation to Ed for the music post. I would love to walk the streets of Suzail to hear the rich and upliftig music they play.

- Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  14:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Linguistic master of the Realms. Not that there are all that many other candidates . . .
love to all,
THO

[Does the Dance of Joy!]
These will add the perfect touches to a sagely discussion. [bows in gratitude]

THO, Ed, I'd buy both of you a beer directly, but this medium is insufficient to the task; on the other hand, I *can* contribute to thy coffers in an indirect fashion, and I can hear the siren call of my FLGS.... Remember, kids, support your local gunslinger game-writer!

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  15:34:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi Foxhelm and Scarabeus,
In 2nd Edition there's much more information about Song Dragons, by Ed, under their old (and better) name of Weredragons. Ed was planning to expand their 3rd Edition data, but [NDA, I'm afraid].
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  16:34:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

In 2nd Edition there's much more information about Song Dragons, by Ed, under their old (and better) name of Weredragons.
Indeed.

Foxhelm and Scarabeus... see the Halls of the High King module for Ed's original take on weredragons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  18:00:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Hi Foxhelm and Scarabeus,
In 2nd Edition there's much more information about Song Dragons, by Ed, under their old (and better) name of Weredragons. Ed was planning to expand their 3rd Edition data, but [NDA, I'm afraid].
love,
THO

In reply to this, Eric has said to me that not all song dragons are weredragons any more, and most people should wait for Dragons of Faerun for new info on the changes to that race.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  01:34:03  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message
Just as an offhand reference (without much meat), Essembra in Battledale gets its name from a song dragon adventurer (see FRCS p122 Regional History). Gives an idea how song dragons live life in a few sentences.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  01:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

After three decades I have finally started reading Sir Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama (and worth the wait it has been, since I have so far understood all of the crunchy science bits, and even recognized some of them as quaintly outdated!). Reading it, though, I was struck by the resemblance to how I imagine the Spelljammer to be (the real, authentic Spelljammer and not just some ship bearing a spelljamming helm). Some of the worlds described in spelljammer literature also seem to reflect Clarke's description of Rama.

Was Rendezvous With Rama actually an inspiration to Ed? Which science fiction and fantasy writers have inspired him, anyway, hmmm?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  02:05:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, candle-bearing scribes of Realmslore.
Indeed, Kuje, DoF is exactly why Ed dodged behind his NDAs re. song dragons.
Jamallo Kreen, I can certainly send your query off to Ed re. who’s influenced him, but it is something he’s answered many times before.
However, be not downcast: back in October of 05, Jamallo Kreen asked: “From what is drow "green wine" made?”
Ed now replies:

From subterranean fungi, distilled in a mix of water and the juice of another sort of subterranean fungi.
The first-mentioned fungi is orbloren, an abundant, “greenish blobby growth” fungi that grows on certain sorts of rock walls where moisture is present. Orbloren is distinctive (and so not mistaken for other sorts of fungi), and is disgusting in taste and not nutritious, but not harmful either, if simply eaten. To be made into wine, it must be boiled (distilled) in water into which another sort of fungi (the abundant “gray scaly scabs” of marrult (real-world note: imagine gray-hued slices of pepperoni thrown against a stone wall and sticking, in clusters) has been crushed (not much marrult is needed to make the water “right” for distilling the orbloren, but lots of marrult yields the richest, most tasty and valued green wine).
The distillate is captured in a (colder) metal “hood and bowl” affair, above the boiling vessel, collected, and then chilled in the dark (often by immersion of metal containers of it in subterranean streams) for forty days or so, by which time it’s drinkable “green wine.” If drunk earlier, it burns the tongue and throat. If murky, adding just a few grains of salt will clear it. It keeps for years, unless made to boil, which gives it a disgusting burnt taste and black, oily hue (whereupon it’s not poisonous, just horrible).
There are strong drow alcoholic drinks that use spider venom or secretions as ingredients, but believe not the rumours: green wine is not one of them.

So saith Ed, Master Vintner (and Imbiber) of the Realms. Hail to the bottom of my flagon! DOWN THE DREGS!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  02:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Great thanks, good Lady!

I recall seeing something about Ed's influences years ago (perhaps kuje can remind me in which year I should look?), but I found the resemblences between Rama and some spelljamming material, Ed's and others, quite startling. Rama is hardly a typical spacecraft! (For those unfamiliar with the book, Rama is an enormous hollow cylinder, as large as a small world, and much of the action takes place within it.)

I haven't finished the book yet (I have had to go online, otherwise I would have done it all in one day!), but I have a theory of my own as to what's going on. I shall know by this time tomorrow, I hope!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  02:34:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I recall seeing something about Ed's influences years ago (perhaps kuje can remind me in which year I should look?)...
Which is where the "So Saith Ed" Indexes come in handy .

See here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_04-idx.htm

and here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_05-idx.htm

As I recall though... he's discussed it more than once. So you're better off checking through both the '04 and '05 replies.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  02:52:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
JK, SPELLJAMMER and its “crazy physics” was the brainchild of Jeff Grubb, who invited his good friend Ed aboard to write LOST SHIPS, the first SJ supplement.
However, Ed IS a member of SFWA, and hobnobbed with all the hard sf types “back in the day” - - such as Larry Niven (creator of the Ringworld). I know Ed is familiar with Dyson Spheres and many of the other postulated configurations for “created” worlds, and enjoyed reading multigenerational spaceship tales from Heinlein’s classic ORPHANS IN THE SKY onwards. I know Ed has read all of Clarke’s fiction (he was asked to interview Sir Arthur at the ALA Annual Conference in Orlando, a few years back), and that would of course include RAMA - - but Ed’s father is a physicist, and I seem to recall seeing him on a black-and-white university television show (archived from its original broadcast, back in the late 1960s) talking about a space-travelling cylinder being a “configuration with good possibilities” for an “artificial planetary body for humanity to expand into” (and demonstrating this with a toilet paper tube [which in Canada at least is a cylinder of white cardstock]!). So Ed’s father would probably be his influence in this matter, not Sir Arthur.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  03:16:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
'Allo, Ed and Lady Hooded One! I've another question or two to add to my queue...

A discussion in another thread has mentioned something from one of the Elminster's Ecologies books: the existence of dinosaurs in the Stonelands. To some of us, this seems to be an odd place to drop dinosaurs... And, now that I think about it, I'm not recalling any other references to dinosaurs being there.

So, in your Realms, are there dinosaurs in the Stonelands? And either way, is there anything you could add about their official presence there?

As always, thanks to both of you!

PS: My Lady Hooded One, did you get that email I sent you a couple weeks ago? I believe it was 5 May when I sent it...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  04:48:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
To this, I'll add...

I recall Ed mentioning back in May '04 that there were, long ago, far more dinosaurs in the Realms, than there are today. That is, until the dragons ATE almost all of them!

Hmmm... So, I wonder whether the few dinosaurs that are said to survive in the Stonelands (in Elminster's Ecologies) are a reflection of that?

Ed?

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2006 04:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Never
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  06:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Never's Homepage Send Never a Private Message
Thank you THO for carrying my inquiry to Ed. And thank you Ed for taking the time to answer my questions. It's very sweet of you to so, especially given the plethora of questions sent to you.

I'm so, so very guilty for no reason or rhyme;
Infinite victims, infinitesimal time.
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  07:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
Noticed lately that many authors are selling old gaming material (notes, outlines etc.) on places such as E-Bay. Would Ed ever consider doing this? Can he do this given he sold the rights to the Realms to TSR/WotC?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  18:53:39  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
In the 2E boxed set, great effort was taken to show how members of different regions viewed each other (i.e. Dalelanders think "X" of Sembians). I note that Cormyr is mostly made up of ethnic Chondathans and Tethyrians. How Cormyreans of different human subraces view each other? Is there any racial tension between these groups, and do stereotypes exist about/between them?

-Walker

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  00:48:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed tackles Dargoth’s query: “In Powers of Faerun Scylla has a penalty for maintaining troop numbers for the Zhentilar due to their recent loss in Shadowdale.. Should the Town Watch and Town Guard of Waterdeep suffer a similar penalty due to the War against the fight Phaerimm in Evereska where probably close to 95% of the troops who served in Laerals and Blackstaffs armies perished?”
Ed replies:

No. If those losses had occurred in Waterdeep or right outside the walls, yes. However, this was an expedition to elsewhere, a “glorious struggle to save all the Realms” about which the Moonstars have been whispering much stirring misinformation, in Waterdeep, since it occurred. The only Watch and Guard members who participated were those who volunteered (wanted) to go, and the result has been that those who didn’t have all ‘moved up’ in the ranks. They “know” most everyone who “went off to war” died, but that doesn’t make them not want to be in the Watch or Guard at all: it makes them want to stay at home in Waterdeep and “do their proper jobs” more than ever! (So, no penalty.) Now, if you or I (or Khelben!) started wandering around the city now, calling on Watch and Guard members to join our new “expedition to war elsewhere,” I’d suspect we’d face a VERY stiff penalty, yes.

So saith Ed. Who doesn’t want to go off to war anywhere.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  07:46:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I'm back with another reply about a NPC. :) Let's see if this one can turn out better then the last.

What can you tells us about Alamanther of Aglarond? In what year did he die? What was his short stats? How long was he the Simbul's consort? Did he invent any other spells? What did he look like and what was his race and how did he dress and other general info along those lines? What was his personality? Is there any other history about this NPC that you could share? Did they have any offspring? Any family members that are still alive or what was his family like? And as usual, I'll leave it open ended so you can add anything that you think you might want to share. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 25 May 2006 23:32:39
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  23:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi, Kuje. I'm away from all my books and game stuff at the moment (travelling), and can't for the life of me remember this Alamanther guy. Is this from UE? Old gray box? Spellbound? The old original Thay book?
Darn, I hate when that happens.
(What's my name, again? )
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  23:30:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, Kuje. I'm away from all my books and game stuff at the moment (travelling), and can't for the life of me remember this Alamanther guy. Is this from UE? Old gray box? Spellbound? The old original Thay book?
Darn, I hate when that happens.
(What's my name, again? )

I found the reference in Magic of Faerun under his spell. :) See, it pays to actually finally sit down and read 3/3.5e FR sourcebooks cover to cover, which is what I've been doing. :)

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  23:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah, thanks. I've been going nuts. I vaguely remember "Alamanther's Return" or some such spell. Ordinarily I'd just go fetch down Realms books from my shelf (starting with Seven Sisters for this one), but . . . they're miles and miles away.
Don't these idiot governments understand that we Realms fans require Realmslore booths at every train and bus station, and every airport and town hall? If they can find space for racks full of personal hygiene pamphlets, they can provide full Realms libraries . . .
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  00:15:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
A question about "The Promenade", looking at 176 where there is clearly indicated that many live there (very few numbered or described). What was the population then and what is it now? The question seeks to understand how Eilistraee commumitiies work/evolve.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  00:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I recall seeing something about Ed's influences years ago (perhaps kuje can remind me in which year I should look?)...
Which is where the "So Saith Ed" Indexes come in handy .

See here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_04-idx.htm

and here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_05-idx.htm

As I recall though... he's discussed it more than once. So you're better off checking through both the '04 and '05 replies.

I did (finally!). My downloaded copy of the '04 file seems to begin mid-sentence, so I may be missing some of it, but searching for the string, "inspir..." didn't elicit the answer (other than that Ed is a Conan fan). Unless Ed's answer was in the missing bit or phrased differently, the list of his inspirations is elsewhere; unfortunately, I just do not have the online time available to do a proper search, so I solicit help on this from others. As Miss Blanche said, "I have always relied upon the kindness of strangers."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000