Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]

Yes, there is plenty of reason for people to trust Khelben, and to believe that he's working towards a good end. But that's mostly his past actions, prior to the Schism.

Id consider Blakcstaff to be the least trust worthy of Mystras chosen and rember Khelbans LN so he doesnt strive for the common "Good". Good when it comes to the Blackstaff is defined as "Those causes I deem to be right and correct" he doesnt strive for the common good. Infact id probably argue that Khelbans Alignment should have shifted to TN after his deal with Fzoul and his dealing with the Vampire he let into the Moonstars.

Im willing to bet that Lord Piergion isnt aware of what Blacstaffs been up to in the last decade or so, Id say it would be highly likely that Piergion would boot Khelban out of Waterdeep if he ever found out that Blackstaff had made a deal with Fzoul the chosen of Bane (The Chosen of Piergions deities sworn enemy) and that he had on going dealings with a CE Vampire.

Sure Piergion might be abit more layed back that your typical Paladin but Im there are limits even for a tolerant paladin!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 09 Jan 2006 00:41:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  00:50:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
As per Wooly's suggestion above... the Khelben and Moonstars discussion is continued in this scroll:- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5878

Please use it to continue talking about such topics, so that we can leave Ed's scroll for the fabulous Realsmlore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2006 00:54:19
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  01:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

From what we know about mythals, I'd suggest that it's spherically shaped...

Except we know that isn't the case. Myth Drannor is shaped like an axe, and the shape the mythal takes is definately not spherical. Maybe it can get away with being an oblong, but I'm not sure (haven't studied the maps well enough). My feeling is that a mythal takes whatever shape it needs to in order to cover the city. Also, I think it might be possible to continue to expand the mythal during creation by adding more high mages to its construction (but that's both 2e, and something I haven't researched, so take it with a grain of salt).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  01:23:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to Asgetrion’s question: “What kind of phrasing do merchants/craftsmen use in important business contracts (such as in a "pay me an X sum of gp's and I will make three greatswords for you in three months"-type of contract).
Can you give an exact example (ahem, a whole contract ;)”
Ed speaks:

Contracts vary widely from place to place in Faerûn, thanks to local laws, temple influences, and differing social norms.
In the Dales, among Dalefolk born and bred (excepting Archendale), a handshake deal is considered to bind fast participants as solemnly as an altar-sworn pact (one of the usual ways of gaining witnesses to a deal; the other, as I’ve written in the past, is by using priests, sages, hedge-wizards or mage-guilds as witnesses). Hence the Dale expression “boundfast” (“There’s nothing as I’d like better than to sell thee yon, sir, but I be boundfast over it, so ’tis good as gone out o’ me hands already”).
However, I know quite well what you’re seeking, so here’s the simplest form of fully formal contract:

“Before all the gods there be, this tenth day of Ches in the Year of the Prince, I, Thordran Rocklar of Daerlun, being Thorl’s son and the sixth Rocklar of my name, miller by trade, and doing that business in Stonelamp Street, do bind myself and undertake to provide six rondel daggers of the finest making I can manage, like unto the sample Nasker Lorl hath examined this day, of blued steel thrice-quenched, and acceptable to him, by the first day of this Eleint. The which acceptance he will at taking of same pay me 2 golden lions of recent Cormyr minting and bright-shine condition, for each dagger. Whereof I make my mark: XXX.
I/we, XXXXX, being officers of the Crown, to whit: XXXX, do bear solemn witness that this is the mark or hand-sign of the same Thordran Rocklar.
Before all the gods there be, this tenth day of Ches in the Year of the Prince, I, Nasker Lorl, merchant of the city of Selgaunt, having business premises under the Sign of the Scimitar on Horl Street in that same city, agree to the precise agreement set forth under the hand of Thordran Rocklar above this my writing. I pledge to make the specified 2 lions each payment if the three daggers are acceptable. Whereof I make my mark: XXX.”

As you can see, the “writ” consists of clauses bounded by commas; if something doesn’t apply (such as witnesses), its clause can simply be omitted. Witnessing, by the way, usually involves a SMALL fee (in Cormyr, it’s legally set at 2 cp: one for the Crown and one for the witness; temples and guildmasters and the like can charge more, but 2 sp would be about the maximum, split evenly between the person and the organization they represent).
Oh, and I haven’t forgotten your earlier follow-up fields and boundaries questions; I’ll get to ’em, promise!

So saith Ed. Who has provided dozens of such contracts for the Knights PCs over the years - - and forced us to draw up our own a time or two, too!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  02:28:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Heck of a deal, promise to make 6 and in turn promised to be paid for three of them, if accetible. Other then that an interesting contract that appears to have no force of law.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  17:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
"appears to have no force in law"?
How so?
If Ed, who created the Realms, says this is the sort of contract used, then (ahem) this is the sort of contract used. Seems pretty legal to me.
And I'd read it to mean six daggers have to be delivered, and three are to be inspected; if acceptable, payment for the six is due on the spot.
But then, I've only had one year of contract law university classes.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2006 :  20:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
I have a question for Ed.
I know I see your people and places in the realms in the dragon magizine, are you going to cover the shadavor in some of your description of the places. maybe something like a shade ran shop that is used as a spy next work.
there could be a lot of cities that shadavor spies could have taken over or bought ibto since the shade need information on the realms since their return.
do you have any plans to make such a palce, or maybe one of the other evil organazations?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2006 :  01:26:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed makes reply to qstor’s question: “Ed, Any chance a 3.5 version of the Haunted Halls in Dungeon kinda like what Rob Kuntz has done with Erik Mona?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Mike; thanks for the good wishes! I’m afraid a 3.5e presentation of the Haunted Halls in DUNGEON is unlikely, because I’m just too busy, and if I tackle the Halls again, I want to restore it to what it was supposed to be: a 96-page-minimum campaign base: the entire village of Eveningstar, with fully-detailed feuds, family trees, and local rumours, the local temple detailed with daily prayers and rituals, all of Starwater Gorge detailed, plus the Caverns of the Claws side-dungeon, the local Zhent intrigues, and ALL of the dungeon itself described (well over half of it was missing from the published version: a lower level, lots of room descriptions, a coherent history of the place, and so on: in my pencil notes, all intelligent “monsters” had an agenda, a reason they were there in the first place, and “if the PCs do this, the monster’s sttitude towards them from then on will be X”). Updating all of this into 3.5e is something I don’t see any time for in the next two years of my schedule (at least!), and the result would be something very useful to novice DMs but out-of-step with the current “preferred style” of DUNGEON adventures, which get through a lot more action in a lot less space.
On the other hand, if there was a huge outcry for this (including from Paizo and WotC - - who would have to give their permission), I’d eagerly plunge in and do it.
In the meantime, I have to eat, and these days, that usually means novels. :}

So saith Ed. Who will return faithfully with more Realmslore replies, in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2006 :  03:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
THO, I just have to say I love wandering by and seeing your name on the Chamber of Sages Last Post line. The promise of more joyous Realmslore!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 10 Jan 2006 03:24:16
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  04:49:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tackles Asgetrion’s query: “I have a couple of questions to Ed (who will probably grow weary of my "too-much-attention-to-small-details"-attitude ;). Here we go: You have kindly responded to my questions about the Sembian walled compounds, but do they have any kind of wooden gates, or just an "opening" in the hedgerow walls for entrance? How about the moats/ditches - do they usually build bridges over them?
Then about farms and fields... how many acres of land does a typical/average Heartlands family farm? I am an urban person, so it is hard for me to grasp the concepts of medieval farming. You also wrote about "checkered-field" farms... did you mean fields separated by empty spaces/woodlots between them (and connected to each other via corners - sort of like a chessboard with "dark spaces" in between the fields) or smaller fields side by side in a roughly square-shaped area (sort of boxes within a box)? What an odd question, I know, and poorly phrased, but hopefully you understand what I am asking here ;)
Many of the Realms communities (Shadowdale, for example) also seem to have "irregularly" shaped fields... which type of farm field is more common in the Realms - the "checkered-chessboard"-type or "the irregular"-type?”
Ed replies:

No, I never weary of discussing small details of the Realms. At least, I haven’t so far, in thirty-eight years. :}
Kuje and Kentinal have provided you with good direction and a good answer, respectively, so here I’ll just plug up the gaps.
Yes, there are always barriers of some sort in the entry-gaps of hedgerows (in a maintained and worked farm, at least), from something as simple as fencerail bars (felled saplings) that a farmer puts into sockets in sideposts, or hauls out of those sockets, or an old rusty chain hung with scraps of waste metal to clang and clatter and scare away beasts (only where the presence of old battlefields makes such worthless-due-to-advanced-rust metal plentiful) up to stout, high, and elaborate wooden gates, some with lock-bars or even stiles. The idea is to keep deer and other crop-stealing vermin out, and keep farm animals in, so there are always barriers of some sort. (Many stand open most of the time, and see use only on certain annual occasions, such as musterings, brandings, and shearings.)
Moats and ditches are usually bridged by simple rail-less bridges, just wide enough for either people or carts and livestock to cross, made by felling three to ten trees and binding (or nailing, with crossbeams beneath) the trunks together, side to side, in a door or wall configuration, that’s then laid across the moat or ditch (or halfway across, to a cairn or islet or timber crib in mid-water, from which a second such bridge spans the rest of the way). There are occasional fords, sometimes furnished with “swordblades” (in the real world, these are sometimes called “cattle-grates”) of felled saplings (note: not swords at all) fixed crosswise but close together like bars, with no comfortable space between for setting down a hoof, so cows or oxen will avoid walking across this gap - - but again: yes, there’s always some way across.
As for farm size: in the Heartlands, there is no meaningful “average” farming family to discuss. Most families till six acres or less, though they may own or claim far more, because woodlots are a vital part of their farming (source of firewood, poles by coppicing, etc.), and so is ‘wild’ grazing land (“meadows”). One works what one can manage, but starves if not enough vegetables or grains are gleaned from the land (animals are usually slaughtered when they are too old to continue producing milk or eggs or piglets or calves for sale or eating - - or on special “feast” occasions; few farm folk frequently eat the ‘meat animals’ they keep).
In villages, there’s usually room for little more than small private vegetable gardens and a dovecote or henhouse, but in wild backlands several families (or an ‘extended family’ of the families of brothers and sisters) often together own, dwell on, and work a large collective farm of as much as twenty acres (again, the majority of this will consist of wild meadows, woodlots, orchards, and ponds). Fields tend to be small and irregular in shape (conforming to the contours of the land, to avoid steep slopes and gullies wherever possible, and to give room to turn teams and ploughs), and are, as Kentinal says, chequered due to crop rotation / fallow. Even when we’re speaking of a long, narrow strip that seems to have a checker pattern because of different crops being grown in different sections, there will be cart-tracks separating these sections (so one COULD consider the result to be a strip of separate fields). How much land you have to work depends on how many mouths you have to feed and how much coin you must earn (to pay landlords, taxes, your living expenses, etc.). Again, Kentinal is right: “the best answer is: it depends.”

So saith Ed, creator and master of the Realms. And a handsome fellow, too.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Jan 2006 04:50:44
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  06:14:58  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
Do governments determine the layout of the land? In that the size and shape of people's lots of land and the such (I assume this varies from place to place, and depends on the type of government).
Or is it a more of a farmer has claimed an area, and other farmers must work around what the first one claimed.

And do places follow an Upper Canada or Lower Canada plot breakdown system?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  23:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
My deepest thanks once again, Ed, for all your replies! You are very kind and patient to answer all my pestering questions. I am glad, though, that I finally - after months of persistently trying to convince our acquisition and cataloging department that Ed Greenwood is one of the best fantasy authors in the world - managed to get them purchase five of your novels :)

I am also glad to note here that the finnish translations of 'Elminster: The making of a mage' and 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' have been very well received (=borrowed) by the customers at the library I work at :)
Hopefully we will see 'Edmania' take hold in my home town

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  23:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
My thanks to both Kuje and Kentinal for your tips and valuable information - you guys helped a lot with my request!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  01:31:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes. Asgetrion, thank you for your library efforts on Ed’s behalf. Great work!
This time, Ed replies to Createvmind’s questions: “Can a spellcaster duplicate a doompits effects, create a doompit elsewhere, and can a spark be moved about?" later restated as: “I was curious if a "Spark" from Magic of Faerun can be moved from one location to another or it it connected to the place it's discovered. Second question is can a "Doompit" from same source book be purposely created by a mage or combination of casters?”
As you can see, Createvmind, Kuje did post it, and Ed speaks thus:

There’s no known way of moving either Sparks or Doom Pits, nor of creating them by means of spells.
The very nature of a Spark means that can NEVER be possible to deliberately create or move one, because they’re spontaneously caused by resonances in the Weave ‘grounding’ to a certain spot, in a rare, thus-far-unknown manner.
Mystra will personally counter any attempts to disrupt the Weave enough to shift its resonances. Working magic of any sort on a Spark to try to move it will either destroy the Spark by changing local conditions of the Weave sufficiently, or destroy it by succeeding in shifting it away from its causal grounding, so that it collapses.
Mystra (and her servitors of all sorts, from Azuth through the Chosen to spectral spirits) frown upon and try to stop all such experimentations with Sparks (they see it as attacking the Weave, regardless of the motives of the experimentor), and this often visits fatal or violently transformative results for experimentors [once changed to a rock, a spellcaster has a hard time continuing to work magic].
In theory, once similar - - and similarly dangerous! - - experiments have resulted in spellcasters achieving understanding of the nature of Doom Pits and crafting the right spells to create and control one, it may some day become possible to create a particular sort of Doom Pit (just one of the effects, from Sleep through Maze, listed in the table on page 44 of MAGIC OF FAERUN). There have been no signs of any spellcaster succeeding at such endeavours yet, but that doesn’t mean secretive attempts aren’t underway.
Please note that there are already exceptions to these prohibitions: Mystra and Azuth can both create Sparks and Doom Pits at will (and at very short range, so it follows that any mortal spellcasters who manage to create Doom Pits will only be able to manage to do so at very short range). However, they largely see no need for doing so, although they may inform mortals of the whereabouts of Sparks as a sort of reward to boost what the mortals can accomplish.
In theory, a Chosen of Mystra possessing a sufficient amount of Mystra’s divine power (such as Elminster did, during the events chronicled in my 1995 novel SHADOWS OF DOOM) could also create a Spark or a Doom Pit - - IF they knew how. However, they don’t, and the disapproval towards experimenting to find out ‘goes double’ for them.

So saith Ed, the very model of a personage high-magical (whose eminence increases in a manner scatological)
. . . and so on.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  05:05:22  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks for the very informative answer, it was close to what I assumed, thank you much.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  13:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A Fortune 500 Question for Ed

Who are the richest 10-20 people/beings in Forgotten realms and what do they do?

Presumably Mirt would be one of the wealthiest

Thanks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 12 Jan 2006 23:41:53
Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Acolyte

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message
A question with a "poll" warning for Ed;

Who is the most influential behind-the-scenes character in Faerûn today?
He got a question along these lines in an old copy of Dragon I recall and at the time the answer was Manshoon. The realms has changed since then however, especially Manshoon's situation, thus the question begs an answer again.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Who the are the richest 10-20 people/beings in Forgotten realms and what do they do?

I would put my money (no pun intended) on prominent members of the clergy of Waukeen.

It's good to be king

Edited by - Vvornth on 12 Jan 2006 19:25:28
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:27:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Dargoth, before I hand your latest on to Ed, “richest” how?
Most loved? Most influential? Owner of the most land and hard assets? Possessor of the most coins? Gems? Raw ore, as yet unmined? Human, demi-human, and humanoid races only? Or dragons and giants, long-existing liches, et al included?

Ed answers Jamallo Kreen’s August question: “Apropos of the Seven Sisters thread, Ed, can you you cite a particular instance in which a potted plant is definitely known to be godspawn - - if that information isn't NDA, that is. ;)”
Ed replies:

No, this time I can give those dreaded NDAs the slip, and nimbly prance forth to tell you: although this has hitherto been one of the gravest secrets of their churches (still unknown to most priests of either faith, who will dismiss word of it as pure fabrication or deliberate heresy), both Eldath and Silvanus have spawned spare bodies for themselves in the form of various plants that remain small, exquisitely-shaped, never-dying (no matter how abused or neglected) specimens unless or until either deity sees the need for a new avatar-body in Faerûn - - whereupon they manifest within the plants, able to see, speak, cast spells, and so on normally as the plant swiftly expands in size and grows human-like limbs.
At any given time, either deity will have over forty of these ‘proto-bodies’ waiting, all over Faerûn, and some of them may well be found and “harvested” for houseplant use thanks to their superb appearances and vigor. They may never see divine use, and possession of them gives a being no power over, or direct link to, the deities at all - - but the deities can sense what happens to each of these plants, and can travel into any of them at will, either perceiving, speaking, and casting spells through it (which need not affect its appearance at all), or actually possessing it (which will cause it to grow and transform).
So PCs beware: while leaning over your potted plants, don’t murmur any curses against Eldath or Silvanus - - or you may taste retribution.
And you thought I was joking, didn’t you? :}

So saith Ed. So Hearken, All: Ye Have Been Warned.
Ed adds that he hasn’t forgotten the second question you asked - - or rather, revised - - that day, Jamallo Kreen (about the music of Ivy Mansion), and will make reply when he gets to it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:31:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
*hastily hurries to water his plants*

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Just

Hi fellow sages and Hi Mr. Ed Greenwood! Excellent New Year to you all!

I was thinking of finding a place to post some questions and Congratulations for Troy Denning, but strangely I think the Sages forgot him here! So I'm Hoping that you Ed(Hope you don't mind me calling you like this, it's strange to call you Mr. Ed Greenwood!) can distribute the word to Troy(Hope he doesn't mind either!), of my greatest congratulations about "The Summoning" Book! I just finished this book and I must be true to say that when I started reading it I hadn't great expectations about the book, but has the reading progressed and I got more in contact with the character Galaeron, the book really started to grow on me and I liked it a lot! I'm already starting to read "Elminster in Hell", since it is explained in this book why Elminster has to go to Hell and I'm vigorously trying to find the next book of the series, namely "The Siege"! I would like to make a few questions(Some might be rather stupid!)

(snip)

I also just started reading El in Hell, and I have a question which I'm sure has been answered many times elsewhere, but which answer I cannot locate: "What's the English translation of, 'confutatis maledictus, flammis acribus addictus etiam sanato vulnere cicatrix manet'?"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Thank ye kindly for the answers thus far, and rest assured that I shall continue to poke, prod, and otherwise disequilibrate the applecart in the future.

There was one tripartite question of mine which may have been answered and the answer lost in the shuffle of my cyberdesk, and which I therefore repeat: What the heck was that magic black curtain across Yellow Snake Pass during the Time of Troubles; what happened to things that passed through it; is it still there?

I await your answers on tenterhooks. (Or at least on osteophytes.)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  01:57:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Yep, considering my latin is non-existent, I've often wondered what Ed's little blurbs at the front of a few of the most recent FR novels mean. Care to illuminate us THO?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  02:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all.
Most loved? Most influential? Owner of the most land and hard assets? Possessor of the most coins? Gems? Raw ore, as yet unmined? Human, demi-human, and humanoid races only? Or dragons and giants, long-existing liches, et al included?

Ed answers Jamallo Kreen’s August question: “Apropos of the Seven Sisters thread, Ed, can you you cite a particular instance in which a potted plant is definitely known to be godspawn - - if that information isn't NDA, that is. ;)”
Ed replies:

(snip)

So PCs beware: while leaning over your potted plants, don’t murmur any curses against Eldath or Silvanus - - or you may taste retribution.
And you thought I was joking, didn’t you? :}

So saith Ed. So Hearken, All: Ye Have Been Warned.
Ed adds that he hasn’t forgotten the second question you asked - - or rather, revised - - that day, Jamallo Kreen (about the music of Ivy Mansion), and will make reply when he gets to it.
love,
THO

WOW.

Go to Top of Page

Talinthonis
Acolyte

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  05:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Talinthonis's Homepage Send Talinthonis a Private Message
There goes a small question about the Underdark, possibly NDA'd, but having it answered would make my day (or perhaps my month).

Is there anything known about the Underdark city of Vrasl? And if nothing has been published so far, except for what is in the 3e Underdark book, would you be willing to spare any informations about it? History, leading Houses, it's personnalities or it's *possible* situation after the War of the Spider Queen books (the later not being so important, since WotSQ is not so old and it's repercussions have probably not been written yet)?

I've been writing a french fanfiction about it's areas and a secretive house lurking around and praying Kiaransalee, but the tidbits of informations I could find weren't very... informative.

And by the way, thanks for all the good lore you give us, and thanks to ye, THO, for being so kind. :)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  17:00:13  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
I may have said this before (correction I have said this before - at least 3 times!!))

YES PLEASE - More on Eveningstar and the Evenor Lands in general

to be honest I am more interested in a campaign starter for Eveningstar than a fully fleshed out dungeon - you know all the interesting stuff about Baskar, Dunman and Maethlin etc. Why the Killing Keep fell into ruin (and who ruined it); why the Trolls keep returning to the Cavern's depite regular forays to clense them; more on the deceased Xall, who installed him/her and what else did Halfling Inc get up to? etc etc etc

If I could pick one thing - it would be an update on Doust and Islif and how their son (Jhaok sp?) is maturing and whether he has a 'wandering' spirit like his parents , where in Eveningstar they live and has Doust any plans to build a small shrine in 'competition' with Arabel?

Cheers

Damian

quote:

Hi, Mike; thanks for the good wishes! I’m afraid a 3.5e presentation of the Haunted Halls in DUNGEON is unlikely, because I’m just too busy, and if I tackle the Halls again, I want to restore it to what it was supposed to be: a 96-page-minimum campaign base: the entire village of Eveningstar, with fully-detailed feuds, family trees, and local rumours, the local temple detailed with daily prayers and rituals, all of Starwater Gorge detailed, plus the Caverns of the Claws side-dungeon, the local Zhent intrigues, and ALL of the dungeon itself described (well over half of it was missing from the published version: a lower level, lots of room descriptions, a coherent history of the place, and so on: in my pencil notes, all intelligent “monsters” had an agenda, a reason they were there in the first place, and “if the PCs do this, the monster’s sttitude towards them from then on will be X”). Updating all of this into 3.5e is something I don’t see any time for in the next two years of my schedule (at least!), and the result would be something very useful to novice DMs but out-of-step with the current “preferred style” of DUNGEON adventures, which get through a lot more action in a lot less space.
On the other hand, if there was a huge outcry for this (including from Paizo and WotC - - who would have to give their permission), I’d eagerly plunge in and do it.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 13 Jan 2006 18:22:39
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  22:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
Thanks to the day (Friday the 13th), I thought I'd query on something open-ended and then something a tech more specific:

Ed, are there any FR cultural and/or racial superstitions you'd care to share with us that we've not heard of? (Along the lines of "everyone" knows of if not exactly shares the superstition, ala "Friday the 13th is a day of unluck."

Second query can be answered by both you and the Lovely Hooded One: First or best memories of early Realms gaming sessions where something uttered by the players or the GM stopped everyone in their tracks in wonder. (Yes, I'm sure there's many comments that stopped everyone before the laughter started or something ribald was said--I'm thinking of those moments of serendipity where you collectively tapped into what the Realms has become for all of us).

There. That explanation at end probably made it too odd, but I'm still curious and you two are the only ones who can tell such tales (and we don't have to worry about pesky NDAs...).

Take care, all, and have good weekends!

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Pardan
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  22:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Pardan's Homepage Send Pardan a Private Message
I hope it's ok if I ask a new question, Ed;)

What would be the funeral/burial rites of the major faiths in Faerun? Specific rites etc. (cremation vs. burial etc.)...
Also, apart from the major faiths, what are the specific rites for Malar-worshippers ( this has come up in a session last week and has prompted me top ask this question).

Do not knock on Death's door - ring the bell twice and run away.
He hates that.
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:

And yes, I’ve revealed before in Realmslore that nobility (and merchants aspiring to be nobility) do indeed collect Marvels and Wonders. Longtime scribes: where have I done so? Both online and in print?

I think it was back in late 2004/early 2005 that I asked Ed about the art, architecture and wonders of Faerun and Toril. His extensive reply/s are found somewhere in the haystack of the Ask Ed sections of this forum for those years.

Extensive quotes from Ed's replies can be found in the thread I created here at Candlekeep, "Art, Archetecture and the Wonders of Faerun". Here is a link ...

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3296&SearchTerms=art

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all.

Mainly "Owner of the most land and hard assets, Possessor of the most coins and Gems Gems"

So rich Finicially

Who are the Bill Gates, Rupert Mudorchs and Donald Trumps etc of Faerun.

They can be of any Race

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 13 Jan 2006 23:07:03
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:21:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pardan

I hope it's ok if I ask a new question, Ed;)

What would be the funeral/burial rites of the major faiths in Faerun? Specific rites etc. (cremation vs. burial etc.)...
Also, apart from the major faiths, what are the specific rites for Malar-worshippers ( this has come up in a session last week and has prompted me top ask this question).

October 24, 2005 Ed discussed some of the burial and cremation practices of the deities. Malar wasn't one of them though. :(

And to those who are looking for replies from Ed, you can find them in my So Saith Ed files that are stored here on Candlekeep in Alaundo's Library. Each year has a table of contents that is broken down by date.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000