Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Ahem, I have some questions about four obscure military/Purple Dragon ranks that have been featured in your novels. Namely, Lancelord, Swordlord, Warcaptain and Boldshield...
I'd like to second this request, as none of these ranks appear on page 29, Table 2-1: Sample Ranks of Faerûn, from Power of Faerûn.

Sanishiver

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Seeker

36 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  17:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage  Send Taelohn an AOL message  Click to see Taelohn's MSN Messenger address Send Taelohn a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO.

If I might trouble you with a follow-up question relating to the (very interesting) information posted about Elminster and Arkhon, I found myself raising an eyebrow at this passage:

quote:
(The first) Mystra saw in the early Elminster a spirited character and resilience (seen in ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE) she both admired and deemed eminently usable. She took Elminster as a lover not just for her personal pleasure (please read here not orgasmic release but a return for her to the close, affectionate human contact she’d known as a mortal) . . .

While Midnight's ascension to become (the second) Mystra is well documented, most mentions of the death of Mystryl say that she was "reborn" or "reincarnated" as (the first) Mystra. I suppose I always just assumed that Mystra sort of "sprung into existence" as a new deity.

Does this instead imply that Mystryl bestowed her powers onto a mortal woman, just as she sacrificed herself? Perhaps someone she had vested powers in (like a Chosen)? If so, who was (the first) Mystra in her mortal life?
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Visit rweston's Homepage Send rweston a Private Message
Although I'm sure we can never really know, I suspect than many many many of the gods were at one time mortal & "ascended" to to the position.

It may be all the Stephen Erickson I've been reading, but I'm starting to think that in the Realms the various godhoods are jobs/responsibilities that one MUST take on in exchange for certain powers, and the names of the gods are more akin to titles than names.

"Ok Bill, this is your office here in the corner overlooking the fields of battle. Your helmet & sword are over there, here are the keys to the horses. We tend to be somewhat informal in the office, but when you are talking to clients please insist on "Mr Tempus" or one of the other titles. William is a nice name, but it just doesn't invoke the ol' smell of blood & iron that your tiles does. Any question before you get to it? Sun Tzu? Right hand desk drawer - just don't let anyone catch you reading it, tends to confuse the worshippers, and shiela over there - no the one in the red armor - will seize on it with a vengance, she's been gunning for the corner office for a few throusand years."

There seems to be a tradition of heores ascending to demigod status (Azuth, Velarshoon), along with the myths about Bane, Myrkul & Bhaal ascending, plus the the godswar ascention of Midnight, Kelemvor & Cyric.

It could well be possible that most (if not all ) of the gods were once mortals who seized or were granted godhood, and all of them may have changed down through the millenia. Or not.
All we're likely to get from the great sage is one of those Dm chuckles we all so love to give our players when they're guessing about some campaign secret.
:)
Rory Weston
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Learned Scribe

86 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  20:34:31  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message
Ed,

I know I asked you one earlier but on top of that I was wondering how close the original Undermountain boxed set was to your home Undermountain.

Edited by - Julian Grimm on 21 Mar 2006 00:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  23:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message
Ed, I'm lovin power of Faerun, I just get this image of Eric Boyd sending you Inferno's stats and you saying, nope make it bigger, he says how bout this one its bigger than Dendar the night serpent, and you just say 'bigger', nope bigger, etc.. until whalaa the grand daddy of all red dragons.

So here is my question, who would win in a fight, Larloch or Inferno?

Yuck yuck couldn't resist, no my question is Amn- Pre council of six??? Coats of Arms, etc... now suppose Those shadows do show up in Athkalta, and the Synthisillians aren't wrecked yet, any chance of a charismatic PC heir to the Amnian throne showing up and sorting things out by taking over the middle of the country and re-establishing the monarchy?? I'm guessing it would have to be a pretty salt of the earth type with support of the commoners against those greedy Merchant Princes.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  02:51:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed herewith replies to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Unfortunately I do not have the 2nd edition "Anauroch" handy, but I have a question regarding the Bedine glossary. One word is listed as meaning "tell." Is that "tell" the verb meaning "to inform," or "tell" the noun meaning "heap of dirt over an ancient ruin"? If the former, does the Bedine language (or any Torilian language, for that matter) take linguistic notice of heap o' ruins tells?”
Ed replies:

The word given in the glossary means “tell” as in “to inform.” Most Faerûnian tongues have words for “ruins” and words for “burial mounds” (some use euphemisms like “ancestral mounds” or “sleeping-place of ancestors”). A mound with an association with past settlement will always be assumed to be a “tomb” rather than a “ruin,” unless at least fragmentary walls or stone blocks can be seen aboveground, or there’s a very strong, vivid (and thus, surviving) local legend about the site, to the contrary.

So saith Ed. Who’s not quite yet a ruin himself.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Seeker

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  07:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage  Click to see Scarabeus's MSN Messenger address Send Scarabeus a Private Message
In D&D the rules are pretty clear about how a wizard might learn his spells. Such was not the case for clerics, who we assumed could learn every spell availlable in their sphere (now spell-list 3E+).

When Prayers from the Faithfull came out I was quite pleased to see a new twist whith the fact that a cleric must dig through sacred tomes, work his way to access them and ever wonder if one of his spell might hold a surprise (pleasant or not) for him. This point of view felt more real, more alive that the simple morning prayers where spells are always taken for granted.
I used this principle, which also have the advantage of controling what spells PC clerics might have. Looking through Prayers of the Faithfull though it feels like some informations are missing about how sacred tome are used and how clerics can learn their prayers and rituals. And in the same subject I like to learn more about how you view the role of divine intermediaires (sp?) in relation the clerics (spell learning, spell granting and behavior correction). Thanks for you time, your writtings are always inspriring and I need a little boost on the subject, with no specific faith in mind.

Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  01:48:58  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello. I have a question for Mr. Greenwood about Cormyr if it's alright. I have a paladin of Torm that is a native of Cormyr. I was glancing through all of my 1st and 2nd Edition (as well as my 3e and 3.5) sourcebooks and modules, but was never able to find a temple or shrine to Torm mentioned. I was just curious why this was. I kinda figured that he would be quite popular there in regards to what his portfolio is about.

Torm is a favored (perhaps patron?) god of Princess Alusair, Regent of Cormyr. She is accompanied by several Tormite priests in "Death of the Dragon".

If memory serves, there is a shrine to Torm at High Horn.

I appreciate the information, RevJest. But if I may still ask, why isn't Torm bigger in Cormyr than what he is? Lady THO, if you would ask, I would be truly and deeply grateful. Also, please pass along my deepest respects and a thank you for creating my favorite place to play D&D (especially 2nd Edition) to Mr. Greenwood if you would be so kind.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 22 Mar 2006 03:44:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  03:19:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Penknight, rest assured your request is on Ed’s e-desk already.
Back in July of last year KnightErrantJR posted thus: “Speaking of Farthest Reach . . . In said novel a certain NPC that my PCs know fairly well popped up in there. Since they live in Mistledale, they have come across Haresk Malorn very often, and that leads into my questions . . . Haresk is mentioned to have daughters (no specific number) in the FRCS, and in the Dalelands 2e supplement he is mentioned as having two daughters. I was wondering, does he have more, does he have any children that are older and have moved on, and what is his wife like, and is she still alive ( I can't seem to find any references to her ). Thanks in advance for the information, if it is forthcoming, and once again, thanks for creating him in the first place!”
And Ed makes reply:

Haresk Malorn [and all Realms scribes please note: it is indeed “Haresk” and NOT “Heresk,” despite what’s appeared in print in various places; “Heresk” was Haresk’s grandfather; Haresk’s father was Rhoundal] is married to Soumra Malorn (formerly Soumra Hethcastle of Battledale; the Hethcastles were formerly a wealthy, influential family of that dale, having the traits of good looks, entrepreneurialship, and far-traveled inquisitiveness; most surviving members are now in distant Sword Coast locations or in Yhaunn, in Sembia).
Soumra, a LN female Chondathan human Exp5, Int 17, Con 17, Cha 14, born 1330 DR) is a sharp-tongued, swift-witted woman of short stature, lush build and good looks (though she has a very long, straight nose that has earned her the behind-her-back nickname “the Shark” among Mistledale women jealous of her intelligence, wealth, and social influence), who has blonde hair with natural dark streaks (she’s JUST beginning to gray at the temples), and is now some forty-three summers of age. Her private hobbies are reading steamy romances and fine embroidery; her VERY private dream is to one warm, moonlit summer night ride a pegasus nude and bareback for miles through the starry sky, low over the countryside so she can see as much as possible. She’s not a Harper or a member of any merchant cabal or alliance, but sometimes gives Harpers shelter or minor assistance in return for any gossip they’re willing to share: she very much wants to “know what’s going on” behind the scenes, across the entire Dragonreach.
Haresk values his wife’s mind and shrewd judgements, and they have a happy marriage: around the house and in matters of what they’ll wear when outside or when they’ll do what in bed, Soumra dictates, Haresk gives in, and both are content with such roles. In turn, Soumra defers to her husband in public as demurely as if she was a pleasure-slave, often kneeling on the floor to cuddle against his legs when he’s seated, keeping her eyes downcast except when she wants to turn the full power of her impassioned gaze on him or anyone else as a warning or signal. Aside from social occasions (local funerals, weddings, worship, and evening feasts given to welcome envoys, caravan masters, or other important visitors), Soumra is rarely seen in public with Haresk. She keeps to the house, where she has six bodyguards (inherited Hethcastle servants, Ftr 3s to Ftr 5s; these are in addition to the household cook, cook’s lass, cellarer [whose real job isn’t so much maintaining a wine cellar as it is going out to Hillsfar or even Sembia to procure all exotic foodstuffs, in a wagon with the hostler’s body] two maids, hostler and hostler’s boy, and clerk) and maintains many investments in Sembia (these days, more land rents than active business trading, though she keeps the latter channels open in case she needs to bring goods into Mistledale that possible Zhent or other trading embargoes or “arranged shortages” have made unavailable or outrageously overpriced).
Soumra has borne Haresk four daughters (and only four, all still at home; she’s had no sons, stillbirths, or even affairs):
• Ardanthe (LN female Chondathan human Exp2, Int 16, Cha 14, born 1354 DR) is named for Haresk’s long-dead mother. She’s a level-headed, shrewd businesswoman, eagerly learning investments and holdings from her mother, while running Haresk’s store on a daily basis. She’s also a non-nonsense hard worker with jet black curly hair, a snub nose, and Soumra’s build who has no interest in men, romance, or any of that “frippery.” ‘Doing well’ is her dream and her goal. She’s very well respected in Ashabenford, though considered a bit of a “straight stick” (so humourless that she misses things; this by the way is untrue: she PRETENDS to miss things, because doing so causes people to betray more of themselves than they otherwise would, and Ardanthe very much wants to “know” the true characters of her neighbours).
• Rhoysil (CG female Chondathan human Rog1, Int 16, Cha 16, born 1356 DR) is named for Soumra’s recently-deceased mother. She’s the rebellious “trollop” of the family, rebelling against her oh-so-respectable parents with such antics as making love to seven local lads of her age in one (memorable) night, while leading them on a “nightstalk” around Ashabenford’s roofs and stables, seducing a lonely, aging farmer who shared his ale with her, and learning thievery from several peddlers and passing-through caravan merchants in return for her favours. She’s not evil, she’s just desperately bored and craving both acceptance and excitement (though she doesn’t want to leave Mistledale to get it), and wants attention from her parents - - attention that seems most forthcoming only when her latest misdeed has been discovered. Both of her parents have been known to tan her behind with a leather strap, and she’s discovered she likes it. What she DOESN’T like is her mother’s sharp tongue and shrewd remarks, that judge her for the attention-seeking, do-only-what-I-want-to scamp that she is.
• Khestra (LN female Chondathan human Com1, born 1367 DR) is a fat, rather plain and petulant young lass who likes eating, stealing food, and, well: eating. She hates being cold or dirty, she doesn’t like breaks in routine or strangers, and the greatest prize life has to offer is a cozy kitchen (staffed by hard-working others than herself) and the freedom to eat everything that comes out of it. This may of course change in her later years, if she doesn’t burst from gluttony first. She’s currently very plump, but is also very active, and loves riding and playing with horses, and wrestling dogs (as long as she can wash herself promptly afterwards, to banish the smell and the fleas). When she feels ill or depressed, she soaks for hours in warm, scented baths.
• Larleea (LN female Chondathan human Com1, born 1369 DR) is a slim, plain, quiet, see-EVERYTHING-with-those-big-solemn-eyes toddler. She spends her days toddling everywhere around the Malorn household and grounds, as softly and stealthily as possible, trying to see and hear everything private. She’ll often hide under beds or in closets so as not to miss arguments, lovemaking, Rhoysil’s punishments, or anything else - - and stay hidden (unless discovered; family members are learning to check) until everyone is well and truly gone, so as to move on without arousing any suspicions of what she observed. Unlike her mother and eldest sister, she doesn’t judge anyone; she just watches and learns. What she’ll do with her steadily-growing wisdom is anyone’s guess - - except Larleea’s: she doesn’t think about such things, living in the ‘now’ and the ‘this evening’ rather than looking at anything farther off.

So saith Ed. Note how he gives you enough about each character to roleplay them properly. The way, ahem, all published roleplaying products should.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  05:04:30  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Ah... just received Power of Faerûn...

It is... DM Heaven!

Pure and simple.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:08:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed... just read the "Border Kingdoms" submission on WotC... (for those unaware... 'tis here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20060322a)

Great, great stuff o' Grand Sage of the Realms... You've provided this FR junky with his first Realmslore overdose for the first time in more than three years.

Keep them coming Ed.

-- Hurrah for the Border Kingdoms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Mar 2006 06:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:42:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings once more to Ed of the Green Wood and Our Lady of the Hood.

This time I'm going to ask what I'm afraid could require a long answer. What I would like to know is, Redwater Dale (the one south of Westgate, not the town Redwater in Icewind Dale): Who lives there (size is its population, racial profile, religious groups, and so on)? Which powergroups have interests in the dale (apart from the Night Masks)? Are there any settlements worth mentioning in the dale?

I realise this is all stuff I could make up myself, but...I'm actually interested in it as part of a long-term plan for my PC, so most likely it'd have to have been Kuje that would be doing most of the "making stuff up," and I figured saving him the trouble would be a good way to stay on good terms with the DM Plus, there is that bit about anything coming from Ed being official.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:59:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Oh, and let me echo first the Sage in saying "Hurrah for the Border Kingdoms," and then Purple Dragon Knight in praising Power of Faerûn. It's pretty close to heaven for mere players as well.

Incidentally, two new words in Chondathan to invent if you'd like: Border, and Kingdom(s).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:07:08  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I realise this is all stuff I could make up myself, but...I'm actually interested in it as part of a long-term plan for my PC, so most likely it'd have to have been Kuje that would be doing most of the "making stuff up," and I figured saving him the trouble would be a good way to stay on good terms with the DM Plus, there is that bit about anything coming from Ed being official.

Ah, but I don't mind making up stuff and there's times I even ignore Ed's official material. GASP, yes! Put down the pitchforks and flaming torches. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Ah, but I don't mind making up stuff and there's times I even ignore Ed's official material. GASP, yes! Put down the pitchforks and flaming torches. :)

Aww, but Kuje, it's so fun :(

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Nynshari
Seeker

17 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  19:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message
Hello

I posted on the WotC site about this already, but wanted to get Ed's input (if he has the time).

I'm writing a paper for a comparative mythology class and the prof gave me permission to write about the myths of FR even though it is a created mythology. I already have an outline of things I want to write about, but have some questions concerning deities, cultures, heroes, etc. I don't want to make a long post just yet - just wanted to know if Ed has the time to answer any of them. I know he's really busy and is probably already bogged down with questions from the board.

Okay, well, that's about it. Ed: thank you soooooooo much if you have the time and, if you don't, then at least you're busy doing what you love to do and we all hope you keep on doing it ...

Nynshari
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29725 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  21:19:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nynshari

Hello

I posted on the WotC site about this already, but wanted to get Ed's input (if he has the time).

I'm writing a paper for a comparative mythology class and the prof gave me permission to write about the myths of FR even though it is a created mythology. I already have an outline of things I want to write about, but have some questions concerning deities, cultures, heroes, etc. I don't want to make a long post just yet - just wanted to know if Ed has the time to answer any of them. I know he's really busy and is probably already bogged down with questions from the board.

Okay, well, that's about it. Ed: thank you soooooooo much if you have the time and, if you don't, then at least you're busy doing what you love to do and we all hope you keep on doing it ...

Nynshari

There is a trilogy of sourcebooks released under 2E that contains a lot of lore about the gods: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. All three are available as pdfs for $4 a piece from Paizo.com.

Those books are the best sources we currently have for lore about the deities of the Realms. I'd heartily recommend them.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  01:51:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Back in August of ’05, Jamallo Kreen asked this of Ed: “I amend my earlier question about what composers best typify various regions of the Realms to ask specifically about Ivy Mansion. What composer's work is most similar to that of the (apparently unnamed) Harpell who conducts the house's phantom orchestra?”
Ed now replies:

This one’s very hard to answer, but if you twist any real-world envisionings of our bowed stringed instruments into more Realmsian ways (wherein lutes and their larger and smaller variants are bowed, as well as - - far more often - - picked or plucked, metal “talon” slip-on fingerpicks for many fingers of the hand being the rule), and revise any thoughts you may have of orchestras accordingly, the Ivy Mansion music - - the work of Harghondrahn Harpell - - is a cross between Antonin Dvorák and Albert Ketèlby (please forgive my inability to convey accents properly in this crude e-mail program, hence a “plain” r in Dvorák), with a dash of Ottorino Respighi. (See why I said this was hard?)
I lack the time right now to properly delve into the differences in traditions and instruments between real-world period music and the Realms, so The Sage and others who’ve asked or speculated will, I’m afraid, have to wait a little longer. Yet now at least you can try to envision what your ears may hear in Ivy Mansion.

So saith Ed. Who before various operations was a stirring bass, raised by parents who were both professional classical choral singers (though aside from operettas such as G&S, and the usual teenaged flirtation with rock music, Ed himself seldom sang anything but church choir stuff, such as the inevitable Messiah (as Ed puts it: “Handel’s and everybody else’s, too”).
Oh, and a note for Nynshari: Ed replies: “I don’t have any time to spare at all - - so OF COURSE put some questions to me, and I’ll try to answer as best I can, okay?”

Ahh. That’s my Ed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:12:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I lack the time right now to properly delve into the differences in traditions and instruments between real-world period music and the Realms, so The Sage and others who’ve asked or speculated will, I’m afraid, have to wait a little longer. Yet now at least you can try to envision what your ears may hear in Ivy Mansion.
No worries Ed... I can "chew" on what you've previously provided me with .

quote:
This one’s very hard to answer, but if you twist any real-world envisionings of our bowed stringed instruments into more Realmsian ways (wherein lutes and their larger and smaller variants are bowed, as well as - - far more often - - picked or plucked, metal “talon” slip-on fingerpicks for many fingers of the hand being the rule), and revise any thoughts you may have of orchestras accordingly, the Ivy Mansion music - - the work of Harghondrahn Harpell - - is a cross between Antonin Dvorák and Albert Ketèlby (please forgive my inability to convey accents properly in this crude e-mail program, hence a “plain” r in Dvorák), with a dash of Ottorino Respighi. (See why I said this was hard?)
Oooh! Respighi is a perfect choice for the Realms... though depending on the strength of that "dash"... his style may be a little too heavy for the Ivy Mansion. Though, Respighi tends toward a style that reflects his devotion to older musical sources -- definitely neo-Baroque -- and therefore somewhat appropriate for a phantom orchestra.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:22:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and THO... I didn't mention it earlier in my "Border Kingdoms" post above... but can you pass my heartfelt thanks along to Ed for having the opportunity to provide us with more insights into the region itself. I still remember those "now ancient words" Ed shared with us during the days of TSR... about the possibility of having a "Border Kingdoms" sourcebook that collected and expanded upon previous material. The articles aren't in sourcebook form of course... but it's nice to see that some Realms dream can indeed come true.

Thanks again Ed... and thank you for the wonderful region that is the Border Kingdoms .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:30:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage, Ed says:

You're very welcome. I'm not finished all of the entries yet, but I believe the plan is to take the 100,000-word-plus end result, when it's all been posted, and turn it into a downloadable pdf. These last few months have been exhausting, and the next few will be just as tiring, but I'm smiling. :} See?

So saith Ed. Who added, to me: Yes! BK at LAST! I outlasted a magazine, I outlasted a company, to bring them to everyone! Mwoohahahahaha!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  03:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Greetings again to Ed and The Lovely Hooded One.

First, thanks for all the info from before. It helps a lot (and a side note, not enough NDA's, there must not be a Cormyr sourcebook anywhere in the future)

Second, great job with the Powers of Faerun. It is full of good bits that can enliven any campaign, with the economics, religious, and political works within.

Third, from a previous reply from The Hooded One regarding the daughters of Haresk Malorn:
quote:
So saith Ed. Note how he gives you enough about each character to roleplay them properly. The way, ahem, all published roleplaying products should.
love to all,
THO

I cannot agree more. I wish all the entries for NPCs had that info, I would incorporate them more!

Fourth: my new batch of questions!

First question: I am not sure if you have heard of the phrase in show business "Will it play in Peoria?" meaning, will middle america like the play. What Realmsian equivalent will that be? I figure Waterdeep would be a close approximation of Broadway, but what about the smaller cities?

Second question: You've answered several questions on music that you listen to and other books that you read, but what historical fiction do you like to read? Any particular favorite authors and how much do they contribute to the Realms? (I find that various authors, Ellis Peters and Henryk Sienkiewicz in particular, tend to leave ideas in my mind, that percolate in the subconscious and pop out at odd times several years later.)

Third Question: This is not a question that is easily formed, and I am not sure if I can get the question across very well, so bear with me. It requires the world-building hat and less of a game-master hat, and most of the question is the formation of the Realms, not how it is today. In previous posts you have mentioned the following with regard to Lurue:
quote:
The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.

How many deities were not originally human, anyway, before the TRS-ization (I love making up words) of the Realms? How do other, older races feel towards the more powerful gods being human in aspect, when both dragons and elves were in power and considered the humans as inferior (and still do)? It would seem that the vast majority of gods have human aspects, and I just don't see that sitting well with the older races. Could there actually be a draconic temple to Mystral in a draconic visage? By these questions I mean before the world was altered from a world to write in to a game world.

Thanks for the answers

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  12:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Hello and well met, Ed and fair Hooded One,

the wizard/priest of my campaign, a scrivener of Mulhorand, wants, when we make the switch from 2nd edition to 3.5, to 'major' in wizard and take the Warwizard of Cormyr prestige class.

Provided he presents me with a good enough personal reason for becoming a defender of Cormyr (the campaign takes, so far, place in 1364/65).

What does Vangey and Azoun require of a non-native Cormyrian to join the warwizards? And what is the oath of office for the Warwizards? I would like to make him recite this oath, if there is one, and eventually place a geas on him.

Could you provide this oath and the requirements? (if they haven't already been posted, if so, please direct me to the right place)

Kind regards,
Mace *who admittedly has too much spare time at the place he earns a pittance* Hammerhand

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Auralis
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  12:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Auralis's Homepage Send Auralis a Private Message
Hey there Ed, I've spent alot of my time fascinated with druids when it comes to the realms, yet there seemed to be very little in depth information surrounding them and their practices. What I was wondering, is if you had any details regarding various druidic rituals (Like the Call of Oak, Ash, Thorn; Song of Trees; Dryad Dance; Thorncall; Wild Ride; etc.), specifically Silvanite, Malarite, and Mielikkian?

Auralis
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  13:53:10  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

the wizard/priest of my campaign, a scrivener of Mulhorand, wants, when we make the switch from 2nd edition to 3.5, to 'major' in wizard and take the Warwizard of Cormyr prestige class.

You have to ask him the following question: "Do you want to take that class for the abilities it will provide to your character, or does your Mulhorandi character intends to move to Cormyr and really get involved in its defense?"

If his answer tends to lean towards the "abilities for his character" answer, then advise him to reconsider the whole War Wizard thing, and tell him you'll rename the Prestige Class to fit his PC (i.e. same class, same abilities, but with a new name that fits his character... the name of the class should somewhat reflect the military nature of this class: do not forget that one of the prerequisite to this class is to have proficiency in at least one Martial Weapon... not a lot of wizard blow a feat on that...)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000