Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:08:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed... just read the "Border Kingdoms" submission on WotC... (for those unaware... 'tis here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20060322a)

Great, great stuff o' Grand Sage of the Realms... You've provided this FR junky with his first Realmslore overdose for the first time in more than three years.

Keep them coming Ed.

-- Hurrah for the Border Kingdoms!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Mar 2006 06:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:42:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings once more to Ed of the Green Wood and Our Lady of the Hood.

This time I'm going to ask what I'm afraid could require a long answer. What I would like to know is, Redwater Dale (the one south of Westgate, not the town Redwater in Icewind Dale): Who lives there (size is its population, racial profile, religious groups, and so on)? Which powergroups have interests in the dale (apart from the Night Masks)? Are there any settlements worth mentioning in the dale?

I realise this is all stuff I could make up myself, but...I'm actually interested in it as part of a long-term plan for my PC, so most likely it'd have to have been Kuje that would be doing most of the "making stuff up," and I figured saving him the trouble would be a good way to stay on good terms with the DM Plus, there is that bit about anything coming from Ed being official.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  06:59:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Oh, and let me echo first the Sage in saying "Hurrah for the Border Kingdoms," and then Purple Dragon Knight in praising Power of Faerûn. It's pretty close to heaven for mere players as well.

Incidentally, two new words in Chondathan to invent if you'd like: Border, and Kingdom(s).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:07:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I realise this is all stuff I could make up myself, but...I'm actually interested in it as part of a long-term plan for my PC, so most likely it'd have to have been Kuje that would be doing most of the "making stuff up," and I figured saving him the trouble would be a good way to stay on good terms with the DM Plus, there is that bit about anything coming from Ed being official.

Ah, but I don't mind making up stuff and there's times I even ignore Ed's official material. GASP, yes! Put down the pitchforks and flaming torches. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  16:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ah, but I don't mind making up stuff and there's times I even ignore Ed's official material. GASP, yes! Put down the pitchforks and flaming torches. :)

Aww, but Kuje, it's so fun :(

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  19:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message
Hello

I posted on the WotC site about this already, but wanted to get Ed's input (if he has the time).

I'm writing a paper for a comparative mythology class and the prof gave me permission to write about the myths of FR even though it is a created mythology. I already have an outline of things I want to write about, but have some questions concerning deities, cultures, heroes, etc. I don't want to make a long post just yet - just wanted to know if Ed has the time to answer any of them. I know he's really busy and is probably already bogged down with questions from the board.

Okay, well, that's about it. Ed: thank you soooooooo much if you have the time and, if you don't, then at least you're busy doing what you love to do and we all hope you keep on doing it ...

Nynshari
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  21:19:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nynshari

Hello

I posted on the WotC site about this already, but wanted to get Ed's input (if he has the time).

I'm writing a paper for a comparative mythology class and the prof gave me permission to write about the myths of FR even though it is a created mythology. I already have an outline of things I want to write about, but have some questions concerning deities, cultures, heroes, etc. I don't want to make a long post just yet - just wanted to know if Ed has the time to answer any of them. I know he's really busy and is probably already bogged down with questions from the board.

Okay, well, that's about it. Ed: thank you soooooooo much if you have the time and, if you don't, then at least you're busy doing what you love to do and we all hope you keep on doing it ...

Nynshari

There is a trilogy of sourcebooks released under 2E that contains a lot of lore about the gods: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. All three are available as pdfs for $4 a piece from Paizo.com.

Those books are the best sources we currently have for lore about the deities of the Realms. I'd heartily recommend them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  01:51:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Back in August of ’05, Jamallo Kreen asked this of Ed: “I amend my earlier question about what composers best typify various regions of the Realms to ask specifically about Ivy Mansion. What composer's work is most similar to that of the (apparently unnamed) Harpell who conducts the house's phantom orchestra?”
Ed now replies:

This one’s very hard to answer, but if you twist any real-world envisionings of our bowed stringed instruments into more Realmsian ways (wherein lutes and their larger and smaller variants are bowed, as well as - - far more often - - picked or plucked, metal “talon” slip-on fingerpicks for many fingers of the hand being the rule), and revise any thoughts you may have of orchestras accordingly, the Ivy Mansion music - - the work of Harghondrahn Harpell - - is a cross between Antonin Dvorák and Albert Ketèlby (please forgive my inability to convey accents properly in this crude e-mail program, hence a “plain” r in Dvorák), with a dash of Ottorino Respighi. (See why I said this was hard?)
I lack the time right now to properly delve into the differences in traditions and instruments between real-world period music and the Realms, so The Sage and others who’ve asked or speculated will, I’m afraid, have to wait a little longer. Yet now at least you can try to envision what your ears may hear in Ivy Mansion.

So saith Ed. Who before various operations was a stirring bass, raised by parents who were both professional classical choral singers (though aside from operettas such as G&S, and the usual teenaged flirtation with rock music, Ed himself seldom sang anything but church choir stuff, such as the inevitable Messiah (as Ed puts it: “Handel’s and everybody else’s, too”).
Oh, and a note for Nynshari: Ed replies: “I don’t have any time to spare at all - - so OF COURSE put some questions to me, and I’ll try to answer as best I can, okay?”

Ahh. That’s my Ed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:12:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I lack the time right now to properly delve into the differences in traditions and instruments between real-world period music and the Realms, so The Sage and others who’ve asked or speculated will, I’m afraid, have to wait a little longer. Yet now at least you can try to envision what your ears may hear in Ivy Mansion.
No worries Ed... I can "chew" on what you've previously provided me with .

quote:
This one’s very hard to answer, but if you twist any real-world envisionings of our bowed stringed instruments into more Realmsian ways (wherein lutes and their larger and smaller variants are bowed, as well as - - far more often - - picked or plucked, metal “talon” slip-on fingerpicks for many fingers of the hand being the rule), and revise any thoughts you may have of orchestras accordingly, the Ivy Mansion music - - the work of Harghondrahn Harpell - - is a cross between Antonin Dvorák and Albert Ketèlby (please forgive my inability to convey accents properly in this crude e-mail program, hence a “plain” r in Dvorák), with a dash of Ottorino Respighi. (See why I said this was hard?)
Oooh! Respighi is a perfect choice for the Realms... though depending on the strength of that "dash"... his style may be a little too heavy for the Ivy Mansion. Though, Respighi tends toward a style that reflects his devotion to older musical sources -- definitely neo-Baroque -- and therefore somewhat appropriate for a phantom orchestra.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:22:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and THO... I didn't mention it earlier in my "Border Kingdoms" post above... but can you pass my heartfelt thanks along to Ed for having the opportunity to provide us with more insights into the region itself. I still remember those "now ancient words" Ed shared with us during the days of TSR... about the possibility of having a "Border Kingdoms" sourcebook that collected and expanded upon previous material. The articles aren't in sourcebook form of course... but it's nice to see that some Realms dream can indeed come true.

Thanks again Ed... and thank you for the wonderful region that is the Border Kingdoms .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:30:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage, Ed says:

You're very welcome. I'm not finished all of the entries yet, but I believe the plan is to take the 100,000-word-plus end result, when it's all been posted, and turn it into a downloadable pdf. These last few months have been exhausting, and the next few will be just as tiring, but I'm smiling. :} See?

So saith Ed. Who added, to me: Yes! BK at LAST! I outlasted a magazine, I outlasted a company, to bring them to everyone! Mwoohahahahaha!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  03:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Greetings again to Ed and The Lovely Hooded One.

First, thanks for all the info from before. It helps a lot (and a side note, not enough NDA's, there must not be a Cormyr sourcebook anywhere in the future)

Second, great job with the Powers of Faerun. It is full of good bits that can enliven any campaign, with the economics, religious, and political works within.

Third, from a previous reply from The Hooded One regarding the daughters of Haresk Malorn:
quote:
So saith Ed. Note how he gives you enough about each character to roleplay them properly. The way, ahem, all published roleplaying products should.
love to all,
THO

I cannot agree more. I wish all the entries for NPCs had that info, I would incorporate them more!

Fourth: my new batch of questions!

First question: I am not sure if you have heard of the phrase in show business "Will it play in Peoria?" meaning, will middle america like the play. What Realmsian equivalent will that be? I figure Waterdeep would be a close approximation of Broadway, but what about the smaller cities?

Second question: You've answered several questions on music that you listen to and other books that you read, but what historical fiction do you like to read? Any particular favorite authors and how much do they contribute to the Realms? (I find that various authors, Ellis Peters and Henryk Sienkiewicz in particular, tend to leave ideas in my mind, that percolate in the subconscious and pop out at odd times several years later.)

Third Question: This is not a question that is easily formed, and I am not sure if I can get the question across very well, so bear with me. It requires the world-building hat and less of a game-master hat, and most of the question is the formation of the Realms, not how it is today. In previous posts you have mentioned the following with regard to Lurue:
quote:
The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.

How many deities were not originally human, anyway, before the TRS-ization (I love making up words) of the Realms? How do other, older races feel towards the more powerful gods being human in aspect, when both dragons and elves were in power and considered the humans as inferior (and still do)? It would seem that the vast majority of gods have human aspects, and I just don't see that sitting well with the older races. Could there actually be a draconic temple to Mystral in a draconic visage? By these questions I mean before the world was altered from a world to write in to a game world.

Thanks for the answers

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  12:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Hello and well met, Ed and fair Hooded One,

the wizard/priest of my campaign, a scrivener of Mulhorand, wants, when we make the switch from 2nd edition to 3.5, to 'major' in wizard and take the Warwizard of Cormyr prestige class.

Provided he presents me with a good enough personal reason for becoming a defender of Cormyr (the campaign takes, so far, place in 1364/65).

What does Vangey and Azoun require of a non-native Cormyrian to join the warwizards? And what is the oath of office for the Warwizards? I would like to make him recite this oath, if there is one, and eventually place a geas on him.

Could you provide this oath and the requirements? (if they haven't already been posted, if so, please direct me to the right place)

Kind regards,
Mace *who admittedly has too much spare time at the place he earns a pittance* Hammerhand

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Auralis
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  12:51:03  Show Profile  Visit Auralis's Homepage Send Auralis a Private Message
Hey there Ed, I've spent alot of my time fascinated with druids when it comes to the realms, yet there seemed to be very little in depth information surrounding them and their practices. What I was wondering, is if you had any details regarding various druidic rituals (Like the Call of Oak, Ash, Thorn; Song of Trees; Dryad Dance; Thorncall; Wild Ride; etc.), specifically Silvanite, Malarite, and Mielikkian?

Auralis
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  13:53:10  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

the wizard/priest of my campaign, a scrivener of Mulhorand, wants, when we make the switch from 2nd edition to 3.5, to 'major' in wizard and take the Warwizard of Cormyr prestige class.

You have to ask him the following question: "Do you want to take that class for the abilities it will provide to your character, or does your Mulhorandi character intends to move to Cormyr and really get involved in its defense?"

If his answer tends to lean towards the "abilities for his character" answer, then advise him to reconsider the whole War Wizard thing, and tell him you'll rename the Prestige Class to fit his PC (i.e. same class, same abilities, but with a new name that fits his character... the name of the class should somewhat reflect the military nature of this class: do not forget that one of the prerequisite to this class is to have proficiency in at least one Martial Weapon... not a lot of wizard blow a feat on that...)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  14:27:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Another from me, for Ed...

Ed, you've talked a little about the duties of the courtesan and courtier in terms of function in royal courts and places of power and how they relate to visiting foreign dignitaries and the like. But I'm actually more curious about actual royalty visiting other realms... to keep this specific, how would a visit to the Forest Kingdom by a foreign royal ruler from another realm be handled inside Cormyr itself? Obviously, there are traditions to satisfy and the usual security measures and political wranglings to get out of the way first... but what happens during an actual visit? I'm looking for more lore than the few snippets that have been hinted at in both novels and sourcebooks in the past.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  22:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all. Ed herewith replies to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Unfortunately I do not have the 2nd edition "Anauroch" handy, but I have a question regarding the Bedine glossary. One word is listed as meaning "tell."
(snip)

Mercy buckets.

I have a question regarding the Herald class in PoF: what are their class skills?

I also have a question regarding Lady Saheral of Spellgard (to which Kuje or someone may already know the answer): in what product is her obsession with, and defense of, Elminster (referenced in LEoF) detailed?

Assistance, please!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  23:13:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
I have a question regarding the Herald class in PoF: what are their class skills?

I would say that they are the same as the Loremaster PrC.

quote:

I also have a question regarding Lady Saheral of Spellgard (to which Kuje or someone may already know the answer): in what product is her obsession with, and defense of, Elminster (referenced in LEoF) detailed?

Ed's novel "Shadows of Doom" from the 'Shadow of the Avatar' trilogy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  01:10:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all! My turn, this time, to answer this, from George Krashos to me: “. . . a question to THO popped into my head the other day when reading about Torm's activities in Waterdeep. It seems like some of the KoMD engage in solo adventures. If so, how did Ed handle such situations as DM and how did you know what was going on as players? Did you learn about Torm's adventures "in character", from him presumably, or did you learn of them OOC and just separate game and outside-game stories from what your character "knows"? Oh, and one last question: Did the KoMD ever fight or face off against any dragons (the events in the novel "Spellfire" obviously not included)? Thanks THO, to quote my younger cousin: "You rock!"”

I rock? Good to know!
The question is, of course: how well do I roll? [rimshot, hi-hat, insert groans here]
Ahem. Solo adventures are handled thus: players write Ed little notes about their intentions (regarding, say, investments or training or specific spell studies). Ed either writes another note in reply, or judges this merits roleplaying, one-on-one. If said roleplaying is small in scope (that is, easily completed in half an hour or so) it’s often taken care of by the player “coming early” to a Realmsplay session, to get it out of the way before the rest of us roll in.
Although we’re close friends (and in some cases lovers, partners, or siblings), and free to discuss anything we want with each other, over the years we’ve kept pretty well to discussing things in character, in-game - - though if anything really juicy or hilarious happened, we’ve often asked Ed’s permission to tell everyone, usually during our chips and green tea (or at the cottage, beer) break. We can all, I think (John Hunter is notably “noble” in this regard, when playing Florin), firmly separate what we know and our characters know, and always have done.
And yes, we’ve faced down or fought almost a dozen dragons (in one case, whilst on dragonback, and in another, with some of us having the magically-bestowed temporary ability to take on dragonshape ourselves). No, PLEASE don’t ask me all the gory details. And believe me, some of them were gory (for the dragons, not so much).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  21:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

(snip)

the Ivy Mansion music - - the work of Harghondrahn Harpell - - is a cross between Antonin Dvorák and Albert Ketèlby (please forgive my inability to convey accents properly in this crude e-mail program, hence a “plain” r in Dvorák), with a dash of Ottorino Respighi. (See why I said this was hard?)

(snip)

The Harpells are Bohemians!!!!! Why am I not surprised?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  22:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I would say that they are the same as the Loremaster PrC.

quote:

Ed's novel "Shadows of Doom" from the 'Shadow of the Avatar' trilogy.

-- George Krashos

Thank you, George. I think I just purchased that in a book lot.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  01:27:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, scribes. This time, Ed replies to khorne’s question: “What is the tightest spot Torm has ever been in? He seems to have a talent for nearly getting himself killed.”
Ed speaks:

Oooh, that’s a toughie; there have been SO many tight spots, including four times in which Torm would definitely have died if he hadn’t had potions and/or healing spells pumped into him right away, and countless times where his survival depending on saving throw and/or damage rolls, AND being one of a group of capable fighting adventurers, rather than alone.
Possibly the very tightest was the time Torm got two awesomely beautiful sisters drunk at a revel so he could bed both of them at once. It worked, but their very sober (and VERY unamused) husbands burst in on him at a moment of blissfully groaning climax, with swords in their hands and every intention of using them.
Torm normally kept daggers within reach whilst lovemaking, but on this particular occasion he’d been ‘carried away’ just that little bit too far, and found himself naked, encumbered by two nude and terrified women, and unable to get to his clothes, footwear, weapons, or much of anything else - - while being cornered in a high turret bedchamber, in the midst of days’ rides-worth of rugged terrain ruled by said angry males. He “wore” one of the women just long enough to avoid being sliced open on his way to the window, and did a high dive through it (without opening it first) into the moat some sixty feet below.
Instead of trying to flee (and inevitably going down under the jaws of hunting dogs led by mounted men with lances and crossbows), Torm dressed as a maid he’d seduced earlier, and took over the task that maid hated: the annual forking out of the cesspool. He toiled messily for three days while she hid in her rooms and enjoyed a long-overdue rest, and then made his escape in an outgoing wagon of uncured hides bound for a tannery (still inside the ruled lands), switching wagons (as they bounced past each other) onto a load of turnips (heading out of the ruled lands). He was wearing only a ragged old maid’s shift with an uncured hide over it as a covering and night-blanket, and escaped detection, decamping onto the roof a wayside inn some days later to steal food and drink and a series of horsepond baths while he awaited some wagons he thought he could ride undetected on top of. When they came (a convoy of fast-goods coster wagons), he rode them to the nearest market town, where he stole clothes, food, quite a lot of coin, and a good horse, to get safely home again by another route. Typical Torm. [Here’s just one typical Torm moment: the Knights are staying at an inn in a wayside village wherein the inn doubles as the local restaurant; when the locals come in for their evening meal, one of them recognizes Torm and storms over to him, snarling, “You! You’re the one as stole my daughter’s maidenhood!” and Torm looks up, wearing a concerned look, and asks, “You want it back?”]

So saith Ed. I can attest that what Ed’s told you here is MILD Torm behaviour. The character makes ME look demure.
Er, if you can believe that.
love to all (and often),
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Mar 2006 01:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  06:16:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Part 9 of Oroon Rising is now up.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  06:24:54  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
I would not be surprised by any other behavior such as this by Torm. He is my all time favorite realms character, and I hope to see more. This latest tidbit is just wonderful, keep it coming Ed
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  08:42:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Part 9 of Oroon Rising is now up.

Actually, that chapter is a little behind. The "Inside Wizards" section offers the latest parts of Ed's tale... which Wooly linked to earlier this month -- Chap. 11:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=insidewizards/dnd/article14

If you look through the RELATED ARTICLES section at the bottom of the page, you'll notice that Chap. 9 was posted back in February... but is now only being included on WotC D&D site proper.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  08:55:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yeah, as Sage pointed out (invalidating my original post! ), they're now up to part 11. They've been rearranging some of the Legendology stuff, and now new stuff appears on what was the main Legendology page (it's now "Inside Wizards") quite some time before it makes the Legendology archive.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Mar 2006 08:59:51
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  09:15:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, as Sage pointed out (invalidating my original post! ), they're now up to part 11. They've been rearranging some of the Legendology stuff, and now new stuff appears on what was the main Legendology page (it's now "Inside Wizards") quite some time before it makes the Legendology archive.

Hey now, let's not so readily dismiss my friend Torm He works far too hard on getting into the situations he finds himself, to be thrown to the wayside by some "other" article
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  17:46:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've another question for Ed, one that will hopefully prove to be quick and easy...

In the real world, there are various names used to refer to the average common person. The ones I hear most often are "average Joe" or "John Q. Public". There is also the practice of calling persons with an unknown or concealed name "John Doe".

Is there a Realms equivalent to any of these names?

Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  18:00:36  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message
Howdy!

I do not know whether this is of help for that particular hamster but I remember a scene from Elminster: Making of a Mage (It's been a while that I read this book...) where city guards ask a newly arriving elminster for his name. Elminster answers that he is called "Wanlorn" whereupon the guards say that every traveler calls himself that way.
So that would be at least the wandering John Doe I guess.

Cheers!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  23:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
two more posts Wooly and THO might be all over you ;)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000