Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  18:26:26  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello. I have a question for Mr. Greenwood about Cormyr if it's alright. I have a paladin of Torm that is a native of Cormyr. I was glancing through all of my 1st and 2nd Edition (as well as my 3e and 3.5) sourcebooks and modules, but was never able to find a temple or shrine to Torm mentioned. I was just curious why this was. I kinda figured that he would be quite popular there in regards to what his portfolio is about.

Torm is a favored (perhaps patron?) god of Princess Alusair, Regent of Cormyr. She is accompanied by several Tormite priests in "Death of the Dragon".

If memory serves, there is a shrine to Torm at High Horn.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  00:07:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes of Candlekeep. This time, Ed addresses this, from Asgetrion: “My humble greetings again, Lady Herald and Master Ed! I wish to send my heartfelt thanks to Ed for writing the 'City of Splendors' with Elaine! It is an amazing book, filled with juicy details and a massive amount of essential Realmslore :) It was nice to get a glimple at the everyday life of a guildmaster's family, and particularly I enjoyed the interaction/intrigue between differents social classes (merchants, watchmen/guardsmen and nobles). Or how rumours start and spread in a city like Waterdeep, and what are the consequences of those rumours. I wish I could thank you properly, but words seem to fail me. Let me just express my gratitude and say that every word in this book was well worth its price (and more!) I have been playing the scion of House Tesper in our longest-running campaign since the days when the only members of the Waterdhavian noble houses listed in "canon" Realmslore were the patriarchs. Thus, I was delighted (and a bit relieved) to find that short reference to the unnamed (young?) "Lord Tesper" in a dragon outfit - I have to shamelessly admit that I imagined my character being there... :D And you provided lore about wellhouses just as I was thinking to ask about them ;) (just kidding...) But seriously, am I completely wrong in assuming that most wellhouses would be built on top of burnt down or dismantled/taken down buildings? (on top of their cellars - which have wells - that is) Another question regards addressing nobility... I had assumed that 'Sir' or 'Young Master' was the proper form of addressing a young nobleman, and that 'Lord' was reserved only for addressing the Masked Lords? Can you give any additional information about the Amalgamation? Its history, bases of operation, the gods they worship, etcetera :)”
Ed replies:

Asgetrion, it was a great pleasure both to work with Elaine and to get to play in Waterdeep (something I’m scheming even now to try to arrange again, beyond a brief scene in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, that is). We certainly tried to pack CITY OF SPLENDORS with Realmslore and bring life in the city “alive” for readers, so it’s lovely to hear from folks who think we managed it. Thank YOU! And yes, it’s a wonderful feeling to see your own character stroll into the story, isn’t it? (Which is why we kept things as vague as possible, so your Lord Tesper - - AND someone else’s - - would “fit” with our depiction.). As for your question about the Amalgamation, I’m going to bow out on that one because Elaine is working on an article (for DRAGON, I believe) that should provide game details on the cult.
As for wellhouses: in most buildings in the city, wells are in the cellars, because most people lack the space for a separate wellhouse (that someone else could contaminate, block access to, and so on). However, in both the poorest parts of Dock Ward AND the wealthiest parts of North and Sea Wards, separate wellhouse buildings are common. In Dock Ward, they’re communal, located in the interiors of city blocks, and usually too small to be shown on the maps (they’re usually sited near the back wall of a building in the interior of the city block or jutting into the interior, in a location where there isn’t a sewer manhole [or, ahem, ‘person access cover’] - - and several Waterdeep products, down the years, have mapped the sewers so as to show you precisely where those access points are). In the wealthy north end of the city, they’re located in their own outbuilding in the gardens or the stable yard, or along the interior of the villa “compound wall.” In the better parts of Dock Ward and much of South Ward, Castle Ward, and the southern bits of North and Sea Wards, one is most likely to encounter what you saw in CITY OF SPLENDORS: a little hut of a wellhouse ‘back behind’ a streetfront building, either private or shared with one or two neighbours. Most wellhouses are damp, low-ceilinged, plain places that lack secret passages to anywhere. In situations where access to them can be controlled (in a walled yard, for example), they may have washbasins, hooks for hanging really muddy or filthy boots or cloaks to dry, and shelves to serve as an overflow ‘root cellar’ (storage for fruits, vegetables, and preserves). Only the bold store ale or wine in their wellhouses, because conditions aren’t the best for longevity of such drinkables, and because if ANYONE not of your household sees you trundling to and fro with the quaff, you’re VERY likely to get it all stolen.

So saith Ed. I chopped his reply off here so as not to run into the post-size limit, and will post the second half (all about nobles, and juicy) on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  02:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Hello Ed, and the Hooded One, I'm looking for some details on some specific locales in Tethyr that appear on the FR interactive atlas map but don't seem to be detailed in the Lands of Intrigue boxed set. Any additional Tethyrian lore you can spare would also be greatly appreciated.

The locales I can't find information (or much information) on are as follows:

- Banshivale
- Brinniq Dell
- Canaith
- Castle Dasaajk
- Caves of Memory
- Grapton
- Grapevine’s Root
- Guardian’s Garrison
- Hostim
- Keeperstone
- Marakir
- Nine Ladies
- Samyte’s Tomb
- Seven Stars
- Strohm IV's Tomb
- Tinkersdam's Cave
- Tresqyl Vineyards

These are all located in Tethyr's western portions, I've left off the eastern for now. Thanks ahead for anything you can spare!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:22:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Herr Doktor, I would suggest you, in addition to checking VGtBGII, also try asking Steven in his scroll whether he has any tidbits he can share on these Tethyrian locations... since it was also an area of the Realms he's previously had "his hands" on .

EDIT: As I recall too... he's mentioned one or two of them in his replies here already. I can't check the files ATM though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Mar 2006 03:57:48
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And I would suggest asking Eric Boyd in HIS thread, as I remember talk at a GenCon seminar of him being the one who collected all the “obscure” Realms place names and gave them to ProFantasy for inclusion in that Atlas.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  03:50:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
The majority of those locations can be found in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Canaith is the former bardic college mentioned in a few sources, notably the novel "Elfsong".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  18:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message
Hello again Mr. Greenwood (jeez, I sound like Agent Smith).

In connection to my previous question, by your endorsing Mr. Krashos' module I take it that that would mean it's "canon"? Thanks for the sinister teaser at the end of your response though; it gives me a little hope for future references to that syndicate.

My question regards the "lower" games in Faerun. Surely shooting dice is a popular gambling pastime for street thugs, however I've read about "scales" and other such uniquely Faerunian games, and I'm not sure what they are. What are some popular "ignoble" street games in Faerun, and do they have equivalencies to our world?

Do forgive me if you've already been asked and responded to this kind of inquiry before.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  18:34:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The majority of those locations can be found in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Canaith is the former bardic college mentioned in a few sources, notably the novel "Elfsong".

-- George Krashos

A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  19:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed, how close are the three magic types in the new Tome of Magic to how those things work in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  19:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Aquanova:
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Card games: Archers, Chase the Dragon*, High Dragon, Old Wizard, Smashcastle, Strikedragon/Battles, Swords, Swords and Shields, talis card games

Dice games: thabort, Traitors’ Heads, Wheel-of-Spells*

Board games: chess and variants (lanceboard), chethlachance, fiveknights, lancers and lions, shirestone

Other games: jacks, shove-skittles, tag, Toss the Dagger

* might be mixed up as to which is card, which dice

Of course, these aren't all ignoble. Where is scales mentioned?

Edited by - Faraer on 17 Mar 2006 19:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  19:29:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Another card-game (I think...): Elemental Empires, which is played by Giogio and his chums in The Wyvern's Spur.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  21:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I always think of Magic cards when I read about Elemental Empires. It started out funny, then got somewhat ironic when WotC aquired TSR.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  01:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message
quote:

Aquanova:
quote:

Card games: Archers, Chase the Dragon*, High Dragon, Old Wizard, Smashcastle, Strikedragon/Battles, Swords, Swords and Shields, talis card games

Dice games: thabort, Traitors’ Heads, Wheel-of-Spells*

Board games: chess and variants (lanceboard), chethlachance, fiveknights, lancers and lions, shirestone

Other games: jacks, shove-skittles, tag, Toss the Dagger

* might be mixed up as to which is card, which dice

Of course, these aren't all ignoble. Where is scales mentioned?

"Scales" is mentioned in the Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp. I'm not sure, but I think it may be referenced in the first two novels (Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night), very lightly albeit. Mentioned being played in taverns, alongside other games of chance.

And thank you very much Faraer for that list. Now if I only knew the general execution of the games I'd be sated (for now )....
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  01:41:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. A public service announcement: It’s looking increasingly likely that Ed will be a Guest of Honour at the 25th anniversary AD ASTRA sf convention in Toronto (March 31st through April 2nd, 2006: see www.ad-astra.org) as a replacement for Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen, AND Rowena Morrill (! Jeez, Ed’s going to be exhausted; don’t worry: Terry Brooks, Betsy Mitchell, and Kelly Armstrong are also going to be GoHs). Things aren’t quite finalized yet, but if you’re going to be in the Toronto area . . .

Also, Aquanova, Ed has posted the rules for some of the games in that list (Strikedragon, Old Wizard, etc.) in earlier years of this thread. Others are in Volo’s Cormyr (a free download, I believe; a wiser scribe please help) and elsewhere in published sources.

On to the Realmslore at hand! Here’s the second half of Ed’s reply to Asgetrion (specifically to this: “Another question regards addressing nobility... I had assumed that 'Sir' or 'Young Master' was the proper form of addressing a young nobleman, and that 'Lord' was reserved only for addressing the Masked Lords?”):

And as for addressing nobles: no, anyone of known noble status is addressed as “Lord” or “Lady” (toddlers and young children usually as “Young Lord” or “Young Lady”) by a Waterdhavian; “Saer” [rather than “Sir”] is used by those uncertain of a persons’s status but signalling that they don’t want to give offense - - or even that they know they’re addressing some who’s not noble, but believe the person has behaved nobly, and is worthy to stand with the best, and wants to signal that respect.
So a typical noble family will have THE “Lord Bladderblat” (the head of the house, who may or may not be its eldest male) and several “Lord Bladderblats” (his sons, cousins, brothers, and uncles). “Old Lord Bladderblat” always refers to a previous head of the house, so it’s either the dead father of the current head, or someone dismissed from being head of the house [e.g. exiled, deposed, vanished, fled, or locked up as dangerously insane]. In the same manner, the family can have multiple Lady Bladderblats; it should be noted that widows are usually referred to as “Dowager Lady Bladderblat” when speaking OF them, but just “Lady Bladderblat” when one is speaking TO them.
To address a Bladderblat as “Young Master” or “Young Mistress” [the word “Miss” in the Realms means you didn’t hit what you were aiming at; it’s unknown as a form of address] is a form of admonishment, and will be regarded thus: when spoken to an infant, toddler, or misbehaving youth (up to about the age of eight or nine), it’s quite acceptable in the eyes of the noble parents, even if the speaker is a servant, outlander, or the dirtiest of “low commoners.” When used to address an older noble, it is an insult, tolerated - - though not with pleasure - - when used by the Watch or Guard or Palace officers, and also tolerated when used by a very old noble to a younger [doddering, eighty-year old Lady Glunder may say it disapprovingly to an infant Lord Bladderblat and not discomfit the Bladderblats at all; as an elder noble, it’s Lady Glunder’s perfect right to speak thus].
Among adult Waterdhavian nobles (who, after all, all know each other and see each other often at feasts, clubs, and revels) it’s an insult to address someone by the wrong or a lower title than they deserve: they WILL take offense if called “Saer” by another noble, when they wouldn’t take offense at all if a “commoner” or “outlander” addressed them as such (nobles usually refer to non-noble Waterdhavians as “citizen” when being polite, and “commoner” when not).
Most Waterdhavians rarely have the opportunity to speak to Masked Lords directly, outside of VERY formal settings (as in: trials), and when they do, it’s usually a row of multiple featureless masks they’re speaking to, and they say, “Lords.” When speaking to the Open Lord, darn near every Waterdhavian who isn’t his personal friend will say “Lord Piergeiron” in full, shortening it to “Lord” only if they converse together for a time.
By the way, in this reply to you I have used the two entirely fictitious noble surnames most popular among Waterdhavian satirical broadsheet writers, minstrels, and tellers of street jokes [e.g. “How did Lord Bladderblat decide if young Lady Glunder was a suitable match for his son?/He tried her out himself, of course. Several times.”]. They began as one acid-penned noble’s way of decrying the antics of certain other nobles, generations ago (when everyone knew the specific real individuals who were being described and made fun of), and have evolved into general archetypes.

So saith Ed, the foremost expert on Waterdeep (though Lord Boyd and Lady Cunningham stand at his shoulders). I should perhaps mention to scribes who didn’t want to spring for the hardcover of the superb CITY OF SPLENDORS novel that the mass market paperback release is imminent, and it really is “essential Realmslore,” as well as cracking good entertainment.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2006 :  11:23:58  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message
Dear Lord Greenwood

I'm overjoyed about the "Coin mountains" of the Realms you presented here , but would like to ask you for one tiny, little addition - long-existing liches , how do you see them as "coin mountains" (using the same criteria you used to select their living counterparts and excluding any wealth they may have in magical items).

I don't want you to list ten of course, but one or two would be nice

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  01:32:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed makes answer to Solomon in these matters: “Can you tell us about Arkhon "the Old", who was referred to in the old 'Hall of Heroes' sourcebook and then again in the manual for the 'Baldur's Gate' computer role-playing game as a former tutor of El's in what is now Waterdeep. When did (or did) this happen? Other interesting references are to El learning from merchants and "fences" in Scornubel, the merchant-mage Lycon "Wolf-beard", and (later) "such mages as Torose and Shalane of Taerloon". Care to shed any light on this? Finally, can you tell us about Alais, "an elven lady" with whom Elminster left the city of Myth Drannor "to begin an epic travel about the Realms to learn its lands and lore". What was their relationship, and would you be willing to share details of their time together? Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, and for the gift of the Realms. Thank you also to THO, for gifting Ed's responses to us.”
Ed replies:

Solomon, you’re very welcome; it’s my pleasure. Here we go . . .
(The first) Mystra saw in the early Elminster a spirited character and resilience (seen in ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE) she both admired and deemed eminently usable. She took Elminster as a lover not just for her personal pleasure (please read here not orgasmic release but a return for her to the close, affectionate human contact she’d known as a mortal), but so as to be able to fine-tune his assimilation and development not just of the silver fire she imparted to him, but his knowledge of magic. She did NOT want a Chosen who turned into a martinet (or worse, a petty tyrant) because they gained too much magic, too fast; she wanted someone tempered by the experiences of slowly gaining, learning, and using magic the way all ‘ordinary’ mortals do. She needed her Chosen to FEEL independent of her, and so the very one she was holding closest she wanted to be the most independent-minded. She got that, in spades. :}
Wherefore she watched over Elminster and saved him from certain death many a time, but tried to do so unseen, so he’d not be aware of her guardianship. He was free to make his own way in the world, and do as he pleased (for one thing, this allowed her to judge his continuing suitability and loyalty to her causes). She very much wanted him to become worldly-wise and “street smart,” and if he consorted with rogues and poisoners and took many lovers in the process: why not? It was all part of tempering her tool to become stronger and more worthy, because she needed a ‘first among her Chosen’ (though she would never acknowledge this to him or them) in case a situation ever befell that he had to assume most of her power for a time. This of course eventually happened, in events chronicled in my Shadows of the Avatar trilogy (the working title for the first book was “Elminster’s Doom,” and that’s just what that task was: the fate and role he’d been prepared for).
Hence all the mages, sorcerers, rogues, and other expert tutors that El sought out and consorted with (the latter because many of his tutors required service in return for their teaching). You’ve uncovered just a handful among the many other mortals El learned magic, thieving techniques, and divers other lore and skills from, down the centuries. I don’t intend to ever make an exhaustive list or fully game-detail all of them (most are long dead, and I always have heaped platters of “detail this NOW” Realmslore matters pressing me more urgently). Of the specific individuals you ask about, let me say this: Torose (a hermaphrodite), Shalane (“his” sister), and Alais (an alias used by an elf ‘she’ of high birth and station) are all going to remain mysterious for now, because I just might get some future opportunity to tell their tales in some manner or other.
However, you certainly deserve to know more of Arkhon the Old.

I’ve chopped Ed’s reply in half here, to avoid the post-length limits, and will post it here tomorrow (obviously, it’s all about Arkhon, whom you’ll see is just one more of those Realms characters who is just a name until Ed lays details of them before us all, and you realize this is one more character who’s fascinating, and worthy of featuring in novels galore, just like Mirt, and Durnan, and - -). I of course add my “you’re welcome” to Solomon, echoing Ed, and await more keen questions of Realmslore from him and like-minded scribes.
Yours in Realmslore,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  10:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

As it happens, I ran a game for a pair of friends of mine who wanted to do something different than our normal game during the week. Our normal game was the standard fantasy fare, but the side game was much different. It was based on the characters owning a festhall (well, running a festhall; the establishment was actually owned by someone else who gave the PC’s the job of running it.) The short version of what the game was based around was the PC’s were Harper fronts who spent a lot of their time in finding and recruiting adventurers to do tasks for them, as well as deal with the local Zhents. Mostly trade stuff and the like. As such; we peppered our game with festhall terminology. I’m not Ed, of course, but this is what we used during the game.

Wingman became “sheildbearer”

Thanks for the input, Jindael. Good ideas, all. Your players obviously had some lively events in their festhall.

Still interested in Ed and THO's take on it as well, of course...

Cheers,

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
My thanks, once again, to both of you! Ed's answers were fantastic - as always :) I think many of those questions I would pester poor Ed about in the future have been answered in the Power of Faerun (I have to wait for the next payday until I buy it :)

Ahem, I have some questions about four obscure military/Purple Dragon ranks that have been featured in your novels. Namely, Lancelord, Swordlord, Warcaptain and Boldshield (the first three in Death of the dragon and the last one in Stormlight). I have assumed that Boldshield might be a "unique" rank, and that the others are "battlefield ranks" granted when a more complex command structure (such as during a war) is needed? Am I wrong here?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  00:41:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everybody. As promised, here’s the second half of Ed’s response to Solomon:

However, you certainly deserve to know more of Arkhon the Old.
Picture a man with a mellifluous voice, a flowing white heard and shoulder-length hair, striking eyes, and a burly beard (okay, Lorne Greene plus beard), who always wears plain black robes (eventually revealed to be a huge symbiotic creature that could fly while wrapped around Arkhon, and also underwater give him the same sort of abilities conferred by a cloak of the manta ray, though this creature wasn’t magical). Thanks to this still-mysterious creature and his own robust constitution, Arkhon lived for more than eight centuries (hence his nickname; despite what you may have read and I or editors may have written elsewhere, his lifespan is now BELIEVED [i.e. this may someday change again] to be the late summer of -14 DR to halfway through 1004 DR), aging and dying as his “companion” did (his last spark of sentience is one of the twelve bound into the guardian wards of the Vault of Sages in Silverymoon in the early years of its existence). Said creature drank trifling amounts of life-essence, human sensation, and magical energy, and so wanted to be in the presence of someone who often used magic and experienced both physical love and strong emotions.
Arkhon was that extremely charismatic someone. He was born in Calimshan (and given quite a different name, of course), but fled his family and that society to wander the world, going first to Tethyr and then all over the Realms as a servant (not apprentice, but a drudge) to various wizards, showing from the first an innate grasp of languages, a shrewdness in judging the true intentions of others, and an unfailing, exacting (we might say “photographic”) memory. On the sly, he experimented with magic, and discovered he had an aptitude for the Art (i.e. he could become a wizard, with the proper training).
Eventually he found himself the last survivor when a powerful mage he was serving “fell out” with his apprentices, and ended up the possessor of numerous spellbooks, scrolls, magic items, and coins. Arkhon hid most of this, and set about apprenticing himself to wizard after wizard, paying for his training with item after spellbook, and with superb skill playing the part of a nervous, shy, ‘bookish’ non-threat to anyone.
A role he dropped like a cloak in 27 DR, when he judged himself powerful enough, let his true charisma and spell-mastery show, and set himself up as an advisor to petty ruler after petty ruler (mainly city-states in the Vilhon and Tashalar), emphasizing that he wasn’t looking for personal power, but merely for a temporary role to ‘set things right,’ whereupon he’d move on. And so he did, gratifying courtiers and rulers alike (and using his station to plunder the libraries of the rulers he selected - - for having such libraries - - of the spells he wanted, copying their spells into his own books).
When he wearied of the perils of political life (read: repeated attempts on his life, and the misplaced hatred of folk who didn’t even know him, but had been convinced by others that he was the reason for this or that ill or decision), Arkhon left it behind him to become a tutor of mages in various Sword Coast cities, moving north from Tethyr over the years. During this time he “acquired” his symbiote, providing it with nearly ideal conditions (what with his constant spellcasting, numerous lovers among local ladies of high rank or wealth and his apprentices, and passionate personal nature; Arkhon was a man of mood swings, sudden rages, and great love and tenderness; he was also reportedly, aided and abetted by the extra ‘appendages’ his symbiote could fashion, a peerless lover). Those passions and romantic involvements made him unwelcome, over time, in city after city, and eventually he came to the Sword Coast North, with many female apprentices, to dwell ‘in the wilds’ and work magic. He was always friendly with elves, and became a liaison between various elves and dwarves in many matters, while continuing to attract “followers” into his household.
Seeking to avoid being seen as a threat-to-rulers in his new chosen ‘home’ region (and being pushed into becoming a rival to the newly-arrived Halaster Blackcloak by those who wanted him to take on this role, or getting involved in the almost ceaseless skirmishes of the North), Arkhon began to emphasize his learning rather than his spell-mastery, and set himself up as a sage. He successfully ‘withdrew’ in the public eye into the role of scholar, moving often and retaining a dwindling number of mistresses and apprentices, but (much as Elminster later did) worked hard to establish his departing “followers” in the places and professions they desired to have, and retain them as friends in an ever-expanding network of supporters and contacts. Arkhon sponsored many businesses and provided “short -tutoring” (as in: I’ll teach you this one spell, throughly, or this one magical process), and profited handsomely thereby. On several occasions, former followers designated him their heirs-of-property, and so he gained various keeps, smallholds, and caches of funds. This in turn inevitably brought him into conflict with raiding dragons - - and his symbiote seemed to become addicted to dragon blood, so Arkhon became a hunter (slayer) of dragons on the sly, while retaining the public profile of a mild-mannered sage (and the more private roles of short-tutor of magics and lusty lover).
He lived like this until 994 DR, when something happened that caused him to come alone to Waterdeep, where he promptly romanced Laroun (the ruling War Lord) and became her behind-the-scenes confidant, refuge, and save-the-day protector. He was never her consort nor sole lover, and in public he completely hid his connection with her, setting himself up in a secluded and modest walled home in an unfashionable part of the city, as a “short -tutor” (see above) of magic. Elminster was just one of many pupils who traded coins and magic for his teachings, though they became fast friends and Arkhon occasionally called on Elminster for backup, just as Laroun called on Arkhon. (There’s no evidence that Arkhon ever knew of Elminster’s relationship with Mystra or the true extent of Elminster’s developing powers.)
Arkhon began to fail and grow feeble very quickly in 1004, when his symbiote did, and Elminster was called upon by certain a certain lady elf (herself a powerful mage, and one of Arkhon’s longtime lovers who visited him by chance and found him dying) to help convey the failing man to Silverymoon, where he perished happily, seeing his entry into the guardian magics of the Vault as “a way onward.” It’s rumored Elminster later bound his awareness into a magic weapon or item, so he could ‘see more of the Realms’ in the ever-passing years, as he was borne about the North.

So saith Ed. So have a care, ladies: the next time you pull out that hand-mirror and activate its glow so you can inspect the pimples on your backside, you just may be holding old Arkhon out for a better leering look at the view.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Mar 2006 00:43:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  03:56:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
In case no one noticed... Oroon Rising - Chap. 11 has been posted.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Ahem, I have some questions about four obscure military/Purple Dragon ranks that have been featured in your novels. Namely, Lancelord, Swordlord, Warcaptain and Boldshield...
I'd like to second this request, as none of these ranks appear on page 29, Table 2-1: Sample Ranks of Faerûn, from Power of Faerûn.

Sanishiver

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  17:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO.

If I might trouble you with a follow-up question relating to the (very interesting) information posted about Elminster and Arkhon, I found myself raising an eyebrow at this passage:

quote:
(The first) Mystra saw in the early Elminster a spirited character and resilience (seen in ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE) she both admired and deemed eminently usable. She took Elminster as a lover not just for her personal pleasure (please read here not orgasmic release but a return for her to the close, affectionate human contact she’d known as a mortal) . . .

While Midnight's ascension to become (the second) Mystra is well documented, most mentions of the death of Mystryl say that she was "reborn" or "reincarnated" as (the first) Mystra. I suppose I always just assumed that Mystra sort of "sprung into existence" as a new deity.

Does this instead imply that Mystryl bestowed her powers onto a mortal woman, just as she sacrificed herself? Perhaps someone she had vested powers in (like a Chosen)? If so, who was (the first) Mystra in her mortal life?
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  18:49:09  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Although I'm sure we can never really know, I suspect than many many many of the gods were at one time mortal & "ascended" to to the position.

It may be all the Stephen Erickson I've been reading, but I'm starting to think that in the Realms the various godhoods are jobs/responsibilities that one MUST take on in exchange for certain powers, and the names of the gods are more akin to titles than names.

"Ok Bill, this is your office here in the corner overlooking the fields of battle. Your helmet & sword are over there, here are the keys to the horses. We tend to be somewhat informal in the office, but when you are talking to clients please insist on "Mr Tempus" or one of the other titles. William is a nice name, but it just doesn't invoke the ol' smell of blood & iron that your tiles does. Any question before you get to it? Sun Tzu? Right hand desk drawer - just don't let anyone catch you reading it, tends to confuse the worshippers, and shiela over there - no the one in the red armor - will seize on it with a vengance, she's been gunning for the corner office for a few throusand years."

There seems to be a tradition of heores ascending to demigod status (Azuth, Velarshoon), along with the myths about Bane, Myrkul & Bhaal ascending, plus the the godswar ascention of Midnight, Kelemvor & Cyric.

It could well be possible that most (if not all ) of the gods were once mortals who seized or were granted godhood, and all of them may have changed down through the millenia. Or not.
All we're likely to get from the great sage is one of those Dm chuckles we all so love to give our players when they're guessing about some campaign secret.
:)
Rory Weston

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  20:34:31  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message
Ed,

I know I asked you one earlier but on top of that I was wondering how close the original Undermountain boxed set was to your home Undermountain.

Edited by - Julian Grimm on 21 Mar 2006 00:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  23:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message
Ed, I'm lovin power of Faerun, I just get this image of Eric Boyd sending you Inferno's stats and you saying, nope make it bigger, he says how bout this one its bigger than Dendar the night serpent, and you just say 'bigger', nope bigger, etc.. until whalaa the grand daddy of all red dragons.

So here is my question, who would win in a fight, Larloch or Inferno?

Yuck yuck couldn't resist, no my question is Amn- Pre council of six??? Coats of Arms, etc... now suppose Those shadows do show up in Athkalta, and the Synthisillians aren't wrecked yet, any chance of a charismatic PC heir to the Amnian throne showing up and sorting things out by taking over the middle of the country and re-establishing the monarchy?? I'm guessing it would have to be a pretty salt of the earth type with support of the commoners against those greedy Merchant Princes.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  02:51:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed herewith replies to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Unfortunately I do not have the 2nd edition "Anauroch" handy, but I have a question regarding the Bedine glossary. One word is listed as meaning "tell." Is that "tell" the verb meaning "to inform," or "tell" the noun meaning "heap of dirt over an ancient ruin"? If the former, does the Bedine language (or any Torilian language, for that matter) take linguistic notice of heap o' ruins tells?”
Ed replies:

The word given in the glossary means “tell” as in “to inform.” Most Faerûnian tongues have words for “ruins” and words for “burial mounds” (some use euphemisms like “ancestral mounds” or “sleeping-place of ancestors”). A mound with an association with past settlement will always be assumed to be a “tomb” rather than a “ruin,” unless at least fragmentary walls or stone blocks can be seen aboveground, or there’s a very strong, vivid (and thus, surviving) local legend about the site, to the contrary.

So saith Ed. Who’s not quite yet a ruin himself.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  07:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
In D&D the rules are pretty clear about how a wizard might learn his spells. Such was not the case for clerics, who we assumed could learn every spell availlable in their sphere (now spell-list 3E+).

When Prayers from the Faithfull came out I was quite pleased to see a new twist whith the fact that a cleric must dig through sacred tomes, work his way to access them and ever wonder if one of his spell might hold a surprise (pleasant or not) for him. This point of view felt more real, more alive that the simple morning prayers where spells are always taken for granted.
I used this principle, which also have the advantage of controling what spells PC clerics might have. Looking through Prayers of the Faithfull though it feels like some informations are missing about how sacred tome are used and how clerics can learn their prayers and rituals. And in the same subject I like to learn more about how you view the role of divine intermediaires (sp?) in relation the clerics (spell learning, spell granting and behavior correction). Thanks for you time, your writtings are always inspriring and I need a little boost on the subject, with no specific faith in mind.

Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  01:48:58  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello. I have a question for Mr. Greenwood about Cormyr if it's alright. I have a paladin of Torm that is a native of Cormyr. I was glancing through all of my 1st and 2nd Edition (as well as my 3e and 3.5) sourcebooks and modules, but was never able to find a temple or shrine to Torm mentioned. I was just curious why this was. I kinda figured that he would be quite popular there in regards to what his portfolio is about.

Torm is a favored (perhaps patron?) god of Princess Alusair, Regent of Cormyr. She is accompanied by several Tormite priests in "Death of the Dragon".

If memory serves, there is a shrine to Torm at High Horn.

I appreciate the information, RevJest. But if I may still ask, why isn't Torm bigger in Cormyr than what he is? Lady THO, if you would ask, I would be truly and deeply grateful. Also, please pass along my deepest respects and a thank you for creating my favorite place to play D&D (especially 2nd Edition) to Mr. Greenwood if you would be so kind.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 22 Mar 2006 03:44:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  03:19:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Penknight, rest assured your request is on Ed’s e-desk already.
Back in July of last year KnightErrantJR posted thus: “Speaking of Farthest Reach . . . In said novel a certain NPC that my PCs know fairly well popped up in there. Since they live in Mistledale, they have come across Haresk Malorn very often, and that leads into my questions . . . Haresk is mentioned to have daughters (no specific number) in the FRCS, and in the Dalelands 2e supplement he is mentioned as having two daughters. I was wondering, does he have more, does he have any children that are older and have moved on, and what is his wife like, and is she still alive ( I can't seem to find any references to her ). Thanks in advance for the information, if it is forthcoming, and once again, thanks for creating him in the first place!”
And Ed makes reply:

Haresk Malorn [and all Realms scribes please note: it is indeed “Haresk” and NOT “Heresk,” despite what’s appeared in print in various places; “Heresk” was Haresk’s grandfather; Haresk’s father was Rhoundal] is married to Soumra Malorn (formerly Soumra Hethcastle of Battledale; the Hethcastles were formerly a wealthy, influential family of that dale, having the traits of good looks, entrepreneurialship, and far-traveled inquisitiveness; most surviving members are now in distant Sword Coast locations or in Yhaunn, in Sembia).
Soumra, a LN female Chondathan human Exp5, Int 17, Con 17, Cha 14, born 1330 DR) is a sharp-tongued, swift-witted woman of short stature, lush build and good looks (though she has a very long, straight nose that has earned her the behind-her-back nickname “the Shark” among Mistledale women jealous of her intelligence, wealth, and social influence), who has blonde hair with natural dark streaks (she’s JUST beginning to gray at the temples), and is now some forty-three summers of age. Her private hobbies are reading steamy romances and fine embroidery; her VERY private dream is to one warm, moonlit summer night ride a pegasus nude and bareback for miles through the starry sky, low over the countryside so she can see as much as possible. She’s not a Harper or a member of any merchant cabal or alliance, but sometimes gives Harpers shelter or minor assistance in return for any gossip they’re willing to share: she very much wants to “know what’s going on” behind the scenes, across the entire Dragonreach.
Haresk values his wife’s mind and shrewd judgements, and they have a happy marriage: around the house and in matters of what they’ll wear when outside or when they’ll do what in bed, Soumra dictates, Haresk gives in, and both are content with such roles. In turn, Soumra defers to her husband in public as demurely as if she was a pleasure-slave, often kneeling on the floor to cuddle against his legs when he’s seated, keeping her eyes downcast except when she wants to turn the full power of her impassioned gaze on him or anyone else as a warning or signal. Aside from social occasions (local funerals, weddings, worship, and evening feasts given to welcome envoys, caravan masters, or other important visitors), Soumra is rarely seen in public with Haresk. She keeps to the house, where she has six bodyguards (inherited Hethcastle servants, Ftr 3s to Ftr 5s; these are in addition to the household cook, cook’s lass, cellarer [whose real job isn’t so much maintaining a wine cellar as it is going out to Hillsfar or even Sembia to procure all exotic foodstuffs, in a wagon with the hostler’s body] two maids, hostler and hostler’s boy, and clerk) and maintains many investments in Sembia (these days, more land rents than active business trading, though she keeps the latter channels open in case she needs to bring goods into Mistledale that possible Zhent or other trading embargoes or “arranged shortages” have made unavailable or outrageously overpriced).
Soumra has borne Haresk four daughters (and only four, all still at home; she’s had no sons, stillbirths, or even affairs):
• Ardanthe (LN female Chondathan human Exp2, Int 16, Cha 14, born 1354 DR) is named for Haresk’s long-dead mother. She’s a level-headed, shrewd businesswoman, eagerly learning investments and holdings from her mother, while running Haresk’s store on a daily basis. She’s also a non-nonsense hard worker with jet black curly hair, a snub nose, and Soumra’s build who has no interest in men, romance, or any of that “frippery.” ‘Doing well’ is her dream and her goal. She’s very well respected in Ashabenford, though considered a bit of a “straight stick” (so humourless that she misses things; this by the way is untrue: she PRETENDS to miss things, because doing so causes people to betray more of themselves than they otherwise would, and Ardanthe very much wants to “know” the true characters of her neighbours).
• Rhoysil (CG female Chondathan human Rog1, Int 16, Cha 16, born 1356 DR) is named for Soumra’s recently-deceased mother. She’s the rebellious “trollop” of the family, rebelling against her oh-so-respectable parents with such antics as making love to seven local lads of her age in one (memorable) night, while leading them on a “nightstalk” around Ashabenford’s roofs and stables, seducing a lonely, aging farmer who shared his ale with her, and learning thievery from several peddlers and passing-through caravan merchants in return for her favours. She’s not evil, she’s just desperately bored and craving both acceptance and excitement (though she doesn’t want to leave Mistledale to get it), and wants attention from her parents - - attention that seems most forthcoming only when her latest misdeed has been discovered. Both of her parents have been known to tan her behind with a leather strap, and she’s discovered she likes it. What she DOESN’T like is her mother’s sharp tongue and shrewd remarks, that judge her for the attention-seeking, do-only-what-I-want-to scamp that she is.
• Khestra (LN female Chondathan human Com1, born 1367 DR) is a fat, rather plain and petulant young lass who likes eating, stealing food, and, well: eating. She hates being cold or dirty, she doesn’t like breaks in routine or strangers, and the greatest prize life has to offer is a cozy kitchen (staffed by hard-working others than herself) and the freedom to eat everything that comes out of it. This may of course change in her later years, if she doesn’t burst from gluttony first. She’s currently very plump, but is also very active, and loves riding and playing with horses, and wrestling dogs (as long as she can wash herself promptly afterwards, to banish the smell and the fleas). When she feels ill or depressed, she soaks for hours in warm, scented baths.
• Larleea (LN female Chondathan human Com1, born 1369 DR) is a slim, plain, quiet, see-EVERYTHING-with-those-big-solemn-eyes toddler. She spends her days toddling everywhere around the Malorn household and grounds, as softly and stealthily as possible, trying to see and hear everything private. She’ll often hide under beds or in closets so as not to miss arguments, lovemaking, Rhoysil’s punishments, or anything else - - and stay hidden (unless discovered; family members are learning to check) until everyone is well and truly gone, so as to move on without arousing any suspicions of what she observed. Unlike her mother and eldest sister, she doesn’t judge anyone; she just watches and learns. What she’ll do with her steadily-growing wisdom is anyone’s guess - - except Larleea’s: she doesn’t think about such things, living in the ‘now’ and the ‘this evening’ rather than looking at anything farther off.

So saith Ed. Note how he gives you enough about each character to roleplay them properly. The way, ahem, all published roleplaying products should.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  05:04:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Ah... just received Power of Faerûn...

It is... DM Heaven!

Pure and simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000