Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  06:33:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, I've got the first of three questions here... The first two will hopefully be easy to answer:

Menus in taverns. We know that some places have multiple items on the menu; there's a nice one for the Inn of the Dripping Dagger in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

My question is, what form do these menus take? Are they actually printed, or are they painted on a big sign, or do the tavern lasses simply remember it all, or what?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  06:37:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Next question (I'll sit on the third one for a day or two longer):

In the fourth footnote of part six of the Uthmere column, you say that:

quote:
One of the Ladies, Asmra Laelock (known to all as Blacktresses for her long, dyed hair) has three removable artificial limbs that she can replace with rather astonishing attachments.

I'd like more information on these limbs: their function(s), how she replaces them and stores the not-in-use ones, and how she got these limbs. As always, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  06:43:30  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My question is, what form do these menus take? Are they actually printed, or are they painted on a big sign, or do the tavern lasses simply remember it all, or what?

If I had to guess, it's probably chalk on some sort of surface. So that changes in menu are easy to make (especially in a city where fish, which will vary by day, is probably a component of the menu)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:12:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
For Ed... finally .

Okay Ed... I'm reading a book at the moment about the discovery of Neptune and the British mathematician, John Couch Adams, and his work made in relation to the planet's discovery. My question therefore relates to a similar concept for the planets in the Torilian system -- specifically any further details you can share about the ways in which they were discovered and more about the people who actually made the discoveries of each world in Realmspace. Basically, I'm looking for a little more background than what we've learned in the lore previously.

Now Ed, I understand that like some of my previous requests... this is a rather lengthy subject to tackle in one hit. So, I'm not expecting a great deal on it all in one shot... whatever you can share when you are able will be good enough for me .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Mar 2006 14:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

my question is regarding the Elves of Toril in general and specifically the Reverie.

Reverie is the sleep-like meditation of the elves where they commune with each other and relive pleasant experiences.

In Return of the Archwizards, Galaeron a Severeskan moon elf becomes 'infected' by the shadow weave and cannot enter reverie anymore, he has to sleep. Which is understandable and logical.

In WotSQ the drow can enter Reverie, whereas in previous drow-books it was always pointed out that drow, because of their evil deeds, cannot enter Reverie.

What are the 'prerequisites' for Reverie?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  17:12:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Until we get another "drow-book," I'd deal with that particular inconsistency by saying that drow can enter reverie...if Lolth is quiet.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 13 Mar 2006 17:13:07
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  17:44:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed has answered in the past that drow and elves can sleep, enter reverie, or not do either. Dig through the index in my sig. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  17:46:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

For Ed... finally .

Okay Ed... I'm reading a book at the moment about the discovery of Neptune and the British mathematician, John Couch Adams, and his work made in relation to the planet's discovery. My question therefore relates to a similar concept for the planets in the Torilian system -- specifically any further details you can share about the ways in which they were discovered and more about the people who actually made the discoveries of each world in Realmspace. Basically, I'm looking for a little more background than what we've learned in the lore previously.

Now Ed, I understand that like some of my previous requests... this is a rather lengthy subject to tackle in one hit. So, I'm not expecting a great deal on it all in one shot... whatever you can share when you are able will be good enough for me .

I'd like to add to this since it's come up a few times over the years.

The question is always, how is it that with the spelljammers, magic, etc, that the rest of the continents of Toril have been unexplored, mostly, by the rest of Faerun, etc.

A lot of posters feel that that is unrealistic because of the use of spelljammers, magic, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  19:15:36  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message
Ed,

I was wondering with the portals that connected and still connect Earth to Toril, if legendary wizards and heroes like Merlin, Vanimonen (sp?) and such have ever been there or may be hiding out or living there now?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  00:38:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, again, all. Ed responds to Kuje’s WotC-board “withdrawn” question: “Someone was asking about the use of the spells that help create life for two people that want to get with child or even spells that create life whole cloth. Or spells that change peoples gender so they can get with child. The two posters that are arguing with me about it claim that using those spells is unnatural, evil, or in bad taste, when I said that the best way was to use divine magics, which was based on one of your past replies. Do you care to expand on this and answer on why or why not those spells would not be evil, unnatural, or in bad taste.”
Ed replies:

Certainly. :} Hi, Kuje. Whether or not the use of any divine magic is “evil, unnatural, or in bad taste” is up to the deity from whom you get the magic (presumably the deity you [the character desiring to get pregnant, change genders, or kindle life] primarily worship). Anyone who takes a good look at the array of Realms deities can readily see that deities can be found who would encourage the sort of spell use you’ve described, and deities can be found who would discourage it.
Moreover, it’s probably time to remind the sort of gamers who get upset about moral issues (i.e. who tend to have strong personal moral codes, which in turn means they tend to have strong religious beliefs) that the Realms is polytheistic, not monotheistic: few characters in the Realms (except zealots and clerics) worship just one god; most folks worship many, and believe in all (that their race recognizes, at least). So characters choose which religious creed overrides which other religious creed, for them, in any given situation, and those choices are limited only by the game concept of alignment (and a watchful DM enforcing it), and by the players’ own views of the evolving character of the PC they’re playing.
Yes, it will be “natural” for some characters to go “god-shopping” (akin to real-world “doctor-shopping,” wherein a patient goes from doctor to doctor seeking medical opinions they like or agree with), consulting with priesthood after priesthood until they get the guidance they want. However, that behaviour should be tempered by the facts that every god is “real,” and everyone “knows” that, and many, many NPCs will have tried such tactics (over centuries) before the PC does, and the relevant priesthoods will have evolved policies regarding how they respond to such behaviour. Unless the PC takes some trouble (by concealing his or her identity or geographically moving some considerable distance from the temple of one deity to temple of the next to do the asking, word of the PC “making the rounds” of temples WILL get around; priests of one faith do learn things from priests of other faiths, and from their own informants, too).
If we discuss this matter “in-game,” then it’s not for gamers to judge situations or schemes with THEIR ideas of what’s “evil, unnatural, or in bad taste,” it’s up to the deity. Who unless personally sending a message, will be involved in the form of a priesthood in the Realms who can quote dogma, or turn around and ask the deity for a ruling. (If you the character strongly worship that god, then that priest’s ruling will just as strongly apply to you.)
If the deity’s attention is attracted, they can send a direct message to the characters involved by what the divine magic accomplishes when the PCs try to cast it (i.e. does it work, does it turn into a puff of smoke with the bellowed sky-voice, “YOU have SINNED!” or does something else happen). :}
Now, stepping back out of the game setting, none of this compels a DM to allow any magic use in his or her game that he or she personally considers “evil, unnatural, or in bad taste,” as all he or she has to do is “speak for the god” and so deny or discourage it. A good DM won’t (if they know their players’ views beforehand) shove anything that will greatly upset his or her players down their throats, in campaign play.
On the other hand, it’s a ROLEPLAYING game, in which players voluntarily take part, “buying in” to a fantasy world in which magic works, dragons and other mythical monsters show up, and, yes, players take on roles of characters with ages, genders, and/or races different than their own, in very different societies from real-world ones. Real-world, all-too-familiar “human nature” in all its variety may be displayed in the Realms, but that doesn’t mean players should be wholly unwilling to explore views different from their own, in which the very definitions of “evil, unnatural, or in bad taste” differ from their own.
On yet another hand [oops, octopus time for me again], the game is supposed to be entertainment, and no one need feel compelled to take part in something that is repeatedly unenjoyable for them.
Please note that I said “repeatedly.” In modern North American society, there’s far too much “I want instant gratification, and that means getting my own way, RIGHT NOW, and all the time! I don’t care what you want, it’s all about what * I * want!”
That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it’s encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a “forced cooperation” game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from “we all need each other to succeed” will at some point make it “no longer” D&D).
Simply put, divine spells that create life, induce pregnancy, or change gender aren’t intrinsically “good” or “evil” except as the deity involved decides (and if the deity was wholly against their use, the spells would never come to exist, because such prayers would never be granted, or would only be answered with a strong “No” or with punishment, never with the desired result). So you are quite correct to say that the divine spells themselves aren’t good or evil.
If players and a DM playing together agree that any USE of such spells to make life is evil, unnatural, and in bad taste, that’s fine - - for them and their campaign play together ONLY, and NOT as a judgement or commandment to apply to any other players, DMs, or to the Realms for that matter [because, hey, for the Realms * I * get to play ‘the’ god, and I have spoken!].
Otherwise, they are prime examples of the worst sort of human sin: “I get to decide things for you, and force my opinion or decision on you, because * I * know what’s right or good, and if you disagree with me you are wrong, perhaps evil, and your opinion can be ignored or set aside in favour of mine.” There are good reasons why ‘church’ and ‘state’ have been made as separate as possible in democratic constitutions, and this is one of them: laws that force a particular definition, decision, or judgement on everyone should not be made on the basis of any one person’s (or faith’s) moral code.
As for the sideline matter you raised (“If a being is created without semen and an egg, is it unnatural?”), the answer is: of course not. To argue otherwise is to misunderstand real-world biology, where much life is created by asexual means (“budding”) and by methods of fertilization that would leave your average human straining to discern where the “semen” and “egg” are, in the process; as these things clearly exist in nature, they can’t be “unnatural.” Even less so in fantasy settings, where creatures (monsters, constructs such as golems, undead, and so on) may be created in all sorts of strange manners, and end up as being both “alive” and “sentient.” (These concepts existed long before the D&D game, and long before the Realms; many of them go back decades or even centuries, popping up in Amadis of Gaul, the William Morris fantasies, the Eddas, Gilgamesh, “fairy stories,” the Arthurian tales, and many other folklore and mythic places, to say nothing of being re-examined by pulp writers and then a veritable flood of modern fantasy writers, post-Tolkien.)
As it happens, the Realms even has cases of liches who fell in love with each other, wanted offspring, and worked spells to infuse their own blood (thus, DNA) into the living flesh of a third being, to ‘grow’ a child symbiotically, that could (shaped by spells and then surgically removed from the host creature by spells) ‘become’ their living flesh-and-blood descendant. Or pawn. Or slave ‘host’ creature. I’m not saying these latter practices are “good,” mind you; I’m saying they should receive examination and exploration of the ethics and morals involved.
Ultimately, arguing about such things tends to be a waste of good gaming time that gets the individuals involved in the argument more upset than anything else. Of course, lots of arguments on various gaming boards could be viewed as such. :}
When it comes to religious arguments (as opposed to moral debates in which everyone involved is trying to leave emotion and religion out of it, and just explore the finer points, definitions, and boundaries of relevant moral concepts), I rarely see any need to argue with someone, because it won’t change their mind and may well upset them. (And to me, personally, unnecessarily upsetting anyone is itself a sin.)
However, when (and only when) someone tries to force their religious judgements on me, my life, or the Realms, I will fight and refuse to back down, because on those three battlegrounds * I * am God, and bow to no one. (And to all who respond to that statement with cries of “Blasphemy!” I respond: Anyone who labels that ‘blasphemy’ either needs to go look up the word ‘blasphemy’ in a good dictionary, or to simmer down and go seek a healthy dose of sanity.)

So saith Ed, divine philosopher with the best of them. Who will return with more “less divine” Realmslore on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  01:16:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Thank you Ed, as usual and yes that does answer my question and that was what I was saying all along but people wanted to argue it with me.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  01:33:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. A swift one from Ed this time, in response to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Volo's Guide to All Things Magical mentions that safeholds are an ancient magical technology. Can extra-dimensional containers such as bags of holding be safely brought into them or do they follow the same rules as “modern” extra-dimensional spaces which rupture space-time when bags of holding are brought into them, landing adventurers in courts presided over by white cats? (For the benefit of the non-cognoscenti, the last comment is a reference to The Order of the Stick,.)”
Red replies:

Yep, got the reference. I hope the Paizo booth will have both Order books for sale at GenCon Indy this year, because increasing numbers of Canadian gamers want me to “pick up copies for them, too” when I go down. Not to mention Girl Genius books, Excellent Prismatic Spray issues, and all sorts of other goodies. I still fondly remember the year when a certain fantasy artist gifted me with a quite startling nude fantasy female painting (looking like a self-portrait of her, too), and I jauntily rolled through Customs with it because I’d quite forgotten it amongst all the OTHER stuff . . . and got away clean, because the grandmotherly Canadian Customs officer who examined it just blinked, winked at me, and said gruffly, “Sure looks like she eats HER Wheaties! Don’t be waving that out the window until you get home, now!”
As for safeholds, I’m afraid they are NDA right now, for reasons that will eventually become apparent on the WotC website.

So saith Ed. Ho-ho! Something ELSE to look forward to!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  02:02:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And a link for those of us who can't afford getting any Girl Genius-books at the moment: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  18:03:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, the promised third question for Ed...

We know, thanks to the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book, that Waterdeep's navy consists of 55 ships, of various types and functions. What we don't know is anything about the ships, other than their types.

So, are there any ship names, noteworthy captains, or bits of other naval lore you can share?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Mar 2006 18:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  21:38:30  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello. I have a question for Mr. Greenwood about Cormyr if it's alright. I have a paladin of Torm that is a native of Cormyr. I was glancing through all of my 1st and 2nd Edition (as well as my 3e and 3.5) sourcebooks and modules, but was never able to find a temple or shrine to Torm mentioned. I was just curious why this was. I kinda figured that he would be quite popular there in regards to what his portfolio is about. Thank you for your time, and my best to Mr. Greenwood.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hail again good sir,

Rereading "Temptation of Elminster" I was curious as to wether Mystra caused his whole stasis thing so that he wouldn't have gone down trying to prevent the various events that occured, Fall of Myth Drannor in particular. Since all it took was adventurers to stumble upon him, surely Mystra could have "guided" others to where El was as well, was this her way of keeping him safe till he could mature into the Chosen we have currently? Does a magic user notice when a wild magic area is possibly manifesting (weave seems more concentrated, sparodic, porous, not continously even or flowing like outside of spawning wild magic area) can they notice when a dead magic area is manifesting such as a "thinning of the weave" or do dead magic areas occur instantly from whatever previously named reasons?

Also do you personally have a color scheme for the schools of Magic, I asked Mr Baker and he couldn't come up with one. Basically could I cast detect magic and from seeing the color or colors of the the schools of magic could I take a guess as to what school it is? Let me be more precise, the druid has detect magic cast and notices an aura off to his left in the shape of a humanoid who happens to be invisible. He already has deduced that something is invisible to his normal vision but what color would Illusion magic glow. The invisible humanoid also happens to have cast True Seeing , would her eyes glow or her whole body? And last but not least Mind Blank which is the highest level spell in effect, would that aur of the Abjuration school allow the Druid to even see the other aura's or would the invisible being just glow one blend of color with the highest spell being the dominate color?

One last thing, do half-vampires exist in YOUR Faerun?

Thanks, wish I wasn't such a bother but then you made such a great world I have to dig ever deeper so I guess it's your fault :)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  23:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. Jamallo Kreen asked several questions back on January 15th, and Ed has replied to one of them, to whit: “I also have a question about Mystra/Midnight's memories: does Mystra-sub-2 remember the lives of Mystryl and Mystra-sub-1 as if they had occured to Her? Does She have a personal recollection of what it felt like to have Karsus attempt to usurp Her powers?”
Ed replies:

... and I thank you and Ed very much for this clarification.

Verrrry interesting....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2006 :  23:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all! Rory’s quite correct guess neatly sets up this, from me: be sure to buy and read POWER OF FAERUN. Wherein heralds, marshals, and divers diplomatic matters are lightly covered. Earlier in this thread, Ed gave some ‘general conventions/popularly-accepted general behaviour’ lore, too.
love,
THO

I just received mine today (less than US $20 by Amazon pre-purchase!), and it also goes into detail on the subject of ambassadors ("envoys") which I raised here last year. Reading it, I begin to suspect that Eldath may have less to do with envoys and their activities than does Sune!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi, again, all. Ed responds to Kuje’s WotC-board “withdrawn” question:
(snip)
As it happens, the Realms even has cases of liches who fell in love with each other, wanted offspring, and worked spells to infuse their own blood (thus, DNA) into the living flesh of a third being, to ‘grow’ a child symbiotically, that could (shaped by spells and then surgically removed from the host creature by spells) ‘become’ their living flesh-and-blood descendant. Or pawn. Or slave ‘host’ creature. I’m not saying these latter practices are “good,” mind you; I’m saying they should receive examination and exploration of the ethics and morals involved.
(snip)

That is so unspeakably cool that I have to exclaim, "Kul wahad!'

Please, please (!) give us more details!!!!

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 16 Mar 2006 00:02:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  00:40:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed,

Here's that previously mentioned "follow-up" question I discussed with you a while back regarding my music article for the Candlekeep Compendium.

I'm thinking about including a snippet of music with the article itself (my training as a classical musician only makes deciding on the right style for a piece of sheet music available through Arkiem Arren in Waterdeep all the more intriguing). But I want to know about actual musical notation in the Realms itself... and whether you have any particular lore (or thoughts) to share on the format of written (sheet) music? Does it conform to Earth standards? Are there differences in the ways in which elven music and dwarven music structural styles are recorded in notation form? Considerations like that...

I realise that this might be a particularly complex subject to consider fully since it may not be something you've completely mapped out before... but I'm willing to entertain any possible thoughts you may have on this.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  01:37:34  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood, would you know where exactly on Evermeet is the Towers of the Sun and Moon? I looked into the sourcebook, the electronic atlas, as well as asked around. The only hint is that it is in a very old forest. Thank you.

Edited by - RodOdom on 16 Mar 2006 14:57:19
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  01:50:22  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Ok - a bunch of pedestrian geographic (geomorphic?, hydrographic?) questions:
How wide/deep is the River Shining (Delimbyr)on average along it's lower length (Secomber to the Sea).
How deep (on average) is a river ford like the one at Daggerford (1-2'? is 5' considered passable).
Is the River Shining generally deep/wide/swift enough to keep critters from the High Moor at bay. Julkoun & Secomber seem to be rather relaxed about Moor raider, despite being right on the edge yet the Trade Way seems to be a favorite Moor target, despite having to pass through the hostile elves of the Misty Forest, so windered how formidable a barrier it is to humanoids from the High Moor. How much river traffic (barges laden with supplies) pass up & down a river like the River Shining.
As always, thanks!
Rory Weston
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  03:20:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. To Purple Dragon Knight, Ed replies: You’re very welcome. I’m glad you liked ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER. As usual, I tried to do too much, ended up slighting Narnra and Darkspells far too much and darn near every character a little, but managed to set a book before readers that is at least a “fun read” and for fans of Cormyr rounds out their mental views of the realm a bit (not imparting much solid lore, but giving everyone some “looks behind the scenes” not hitherto more than hinted at). Great to hear that it’ll be of some practical campaign help. I’m plunging right back into Cormyr again, of course, though at an earlier time, in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, wherein we see the stalwarts who became the Knights of Myth Drannor as young friends coming together in an adventuring band. I hope you’ll enjoy that one, too. :}

And to Trace_Coburn, Ed replies to this: “. . . I'm hunting after a little more detail about the elven settlements in the Semberholme/Lake Sember region, especially those on the lake's northern shore or towards the West Starwoods, and their status between, oh, Dale Reckoning 1100 and DR 1370. I've already downloaded several free .pdfs from the Wizards website - including Cormanthyr, Myth Drannor and Volo's Dalelands - but the timeframe of the former two makes them less than completely helpful in this particular matter, and we all know how hit-and-miss Volo can be.
Are (or were) there any 'sizeable' settlements of elves in that area (say, ~200 people or more)? (There's one named 'Aluiantl' marked on the Cormanthyr map, but I can find no reference to it elsewhere.) I'm not asking for full-page write-ups (though such would certainly be very nice and muchly appreciated): simple one-sentence sketches along the lines of "village of Wayouthere (located Justoverthere); population ~450 (mostly wood elves), fortified trading post; welcoming to elves, coolly civil to N'Tel'Quess" would give me ample foundation to build on. Mention of any such settlements which were abandoned during The Retreat (or extirpated by hostile action during the 1100-1370DR period) would also be helpful.”
Ed speaks:

The short answer is that thanks to elven thinking after the fall of Myth Drannor, there aren’t any settlements of the sort you’re seeking detail of, anywhere in the area (though that may change quickly now, and individual elf families departing upland Sembia and the Dales may have banded together with other elf families in tree-home clusters that might be described as very small “settlements”). For the long answer, see some forthcoming Realmslore columns on the WotC website about Semberholme. I’m sorry, but your question was posted just days after the latest batch of Realmslore articles was completed. Wince.

So saith Ed. Well, the bad side is you’ll have to wait a bit. The good side is that you’ll get a full-fledged answer, when it appears. As one of Ed’s original players, I know a bit more, but (as they say) NDAs forbid.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage Send Rowan a Private Message
Just a bit curious, Lady THO. Might I inquire as to who exactly you played? I think I'll go out on a limb here and say Storm...for perhaps obvious reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:27:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

Just a bit curious, Lady THO. Might I inquire as to who exactly you played? I think I'll go out on a limb here and say Storm...for perhaps obvious reasons.

She won't answer you, and we've had these discussions in the past, but she is/was one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:44:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

She won't answer you, and we've had these discussions in the past, but she is/was one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. :)

Indeed.

Kuje's compiled replies files already cover this as an introduction to the files -

quote:
Kuje’s Note: All of these are posted by The Hooded One. She is one of Ed’s players who play’s one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. Please don’t ask which Knight, because she doesn’t want to, and will not, say.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:49:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Oh, and Storm was never a member of the Knights of Myth Drannor.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  09:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Hi again, Lady Hood and Ed.

Managed to complete the reading of Finnish version of Elminster in Myth Drannor while ago. Could've done it earlier but so much to do and so little time.
Anyway, the translation is perfect, once again. Didn't see any alterations in items or such this time, none that I remember well. Monster names were translated as faithfully as possible, which few times took a moment to figure what it was since I know them in English primarily.
Only funny thing was most of the elven names (last names mainly) which describe something had been converted to Finnish, like Morningmist (Aamu-usva). Shrinshee and such have remained as they are.
All in all, was refreshing to read Myth Drannor again, in both languages, also helped to clear few things which had seemed obscure on the first time. My mother read it too and liked it as much as the Mage book.
Have to throw few questions too.
Has the exact circumstances been told or will they be told when and why Elminster stumbled into the spell trap which immobilised him for years, resulting him not being present in Myth Drannor's fall? Particularly how soon after leaving Drannor he did it?
Although this topic has passed sometime ago, I just have to ask it.
How do Drow handle the waste disposal, generally?

Thank you,

Lauzoril

"Death to the enemies of Bane."

Edited by - Lauzoril on 16 Mar 2006 14:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  10:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message
quote:

Ed speaks:

The short answer is that thanks to elven thinking after the fall of Myth Drannor, there aren’t any settlements of the sort you’re seeking detail of, anywhere in the area (though that may change quickly now, and individual elf families departing upland Sembia and the Dales may have banded together with other elf families in tree-home clusters that might be described as very small “settlements”). For the long answer, see some forthcoming Realmslore columns on the WotC website about Semberholme. I’m sorry, but your question was posted just days after the latest batch of Realmslore articles was completed. Wince.

So saith Ed. Well, the bad side is you’ll have to wait a bit. The good side is that you’ll get a full-fledged answer, when it appears. As one of Ed’s original players, I know a bit more, but (as they say) NDAs forbid.
love to all,
THO

Ooooh, re-he-he-heally? I shall look forward to these forthcoming Realmslore revelations with eager anticipation!

To both THO and Ed o' the Greenwood, my sincere respects and thanks.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  15:02:04  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh, and Storm was never a member of the Knights of Myth Drannor.

Yeah, but it would have explained a lot of things about the Bard of Shadowdale

Edited by - Skeptic on 16 Mar 2006 15:02:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000