Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  20:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Goodness, no, Sage, bring the Lady K along! The more the merrier!

I rather thought you would reply with something like this, *wink*

I was going to say she was going to say that, but I thought better of THO silly me

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  00:53:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Goodness, no, Sage, bring the Lady K along! The more the merrier!
Now that, is an intriguing proposal .

But I think we've taken up enough of the parchment in this scroll with such wonderings... let us return to the Realmslore Ed gifts us with .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  01:31:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. Yes. WARM in here, isn't it?
Heh-heh. Hi again, fellow scribes. Herewith, the second half of Ed’s “coin mountains” reply for Dargoth (i.e. the other five of the ten richest individuals):

* Fuorn “Fallingstar” Avilanter of Elventree (CG male moon elf Sor19/Exp9), a seller of spells and enspelled gems of his own making (gems of spell storing) who trades discreetly with rich Sembian buyers through trusted adventurers of the Dales. A reclusive master of disguises who wears teleport rings and makes himself impossible for those who come seeking him to find, Fuorn spends all of his profits buying up city properties in Yhaunn and Saerloon, operating through agents and largely-fictitious Sembian trading companies. He also owns a few buildings in Suzail and in Teziir, and spends his free time magically spying on certain humans he’s found by accident, just watching their intrigues and achievements and pratfalls, enjoying their lives vicariously as entertainment in much the same way Gondoalyn [[note from THO: see my previous post]] does.

* Burnyl Talongar of Phsant (LN male Turami human Exp14), known to most Theskians only as “The Lord of Gems,” this unusually tall and thin, taciturn gemcutter and appraiser secretly acts as a bank and sponsor for many merchants through Thesk. His loans and deals are single-handedly responsible for slowing the spread of the Shadowmasters’ influence in the region, but they tolerate him because certain senior priests of Mask owe so much to him that the deity has personally ordered them to “keep him untouched—by anyone.” Talongar is unaware of this, and simply goes about his business, which is to make fair deals with everyone, and adhere to them strictly, dealing always with politeness and honour. As a result, he’s trusted by everyone, gets a LOT of business, and grows steadily and inexorably wealthier. Operating through seacaptain clients, he regularly invests this wealth in farms and warehouses in Impiltur, Alaghôn, and Westgate.

* Gelkul “Goldhands” Alanskul of Heldapan (LN male Durpari human Exp11), the wealthiest trader and investor in Durpar, a bald-from-birth, coldly calculating man who’s always eager to learn more of events, feuds, trade, and the investments of others. As they say in Heldapan, “no one breathes without Alanskul knowing it.” He owns most of Turelve (though he takes some pains to keep anyone from knowing this, owning properties under dozens of aliases and through various merchants’ partnerships), and many of the best upland wells in the country (he covertly sells water in very dry times). Goldhands grows edible broad”moonleaf” (white broadleaf lettuce-like fungi that flourishes in the dark) in damp cellars under his holdings in Heldapan, and makes good coin daily by selling this staple (the poor fry it in various fats and oils, as a main daily ‘hearty vegetable’) in its markets; again, he takes care that no one knows he’s the source. Most Durpari think Alanskul is just what he started out as: a moneylender and landlord to the wealthy.

* Indamu Dundardir of Chavyondat (NE male Arkaiun human Ari10/Exp5), a noble of Estagund, is a darkly handsome glutton of a man who keeps his thin frame (and resists poisons) only because he allows a small beast (of unknown identity) to live symbiotically with him, fastened to his body. A loner, he gets his satisfaction by successfully manipulating everyone and outdealing rivals. Dundardir secretly controls an ancient portal network linking various cellars in his home city with a trading compound he owns in the countryside east of Sheirtalar. One of the cellars belongs to a rival, and Dundardir’s men use it (very rarely) to pilfer certain cargoes; the others all belong to Dundardir, and he shuttles goods (usually wines, cheeses, and other perishables, or contraband) back and forth, concentrating on items of high worth so that the volume of goods passing through the portals need not be high to bring handsome profits. Dundardir spends a lot of coin training, paying, and rewarding (with perks) his personal bodyguards and armed staff, to buy their loyalties. Thus far (aided by the spying his hired wizards do, on everyone else) he’s kept betrayals to a minimum and earnings VERY high. Much of Dundardir’s profits are put into discreetly buying up property all over the Tashalar.

* Nalune Tassarat of Ormpur (CE female Tashalan human Rog7/Exp6) is an aging former prostitute who invested her earnings lifelong in shady smuggling, slaving, drug-dealing and thieving concerns, making much coin that in later life she invested in building luxurious brothels and palatial city towers that were from the first split into rental housing, floor by floor, and proved a huge hit with Ormpurrians who weren’t quite wealthy enough to own and maintain large mansions, but wanted luxury and haughty addresses. “Old Nalune” always wanted hidden tunnels and chambers in her buildings, and made quite a lot of sideline coin servicing persons who needed to go into hiding for a time, or who wanted to meet pleasure-lasses VERY discreetly. Now, in the twilight of her years, she’s increasingly investing in clever traders from Tharsult and Lantan, sponsoring them on fair terms - - and raking in coins as a result. It’s said she sleeps on a bed of cabochon-cut (smooth-polished) rubies, and is beginning to consort with necromancers with an eye to achieving undeath for herself.

So saith Ed. And there you have it, Dargoth: ten moneybags characters for PCs to whack, shake down, or cozy up to. Avilanter is the one who most intrigues me; I’ll have to see if I can pry more details of him out of Ed with a little lapsitting, purring, and backrubbing.
Wish me luck, all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  08:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message
I have a few questions for Ed regarding Elminster's past which (to my knowledge) are not answered elsewhere:

Can you tell us about Arkhon "the Old", who was referred to in the old 'Hall of Heroes' sourcebook and then again in the manual for the 'Baldur's Gate' computer role-playing game as a former tutor of El's in what is now Waterdeep. When did (or did) this happen?

Other interesting references are to El learning from merchants and "fences" in Scornubel, the merchant-mage Lycon "Wolf-beard", and (later) "such mages as Torose and Shalane of Taerloon". Care to shed any light on this?

Finally, can you tell us about Alais, "an elven lady" with whom Elminster left the city of Myth Drannor "to begin an epic travel about the Realms to learn its lands and lore". What was their relationship, and would you be willing to share details of their time together?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, and for the gift of the Realms. Thank you also to THO, for gifting Ed's responses to us.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  13:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
quote:

(yes, I’ve expanded the notes and updated them to 3.5e).

I am a cataloging librarian. I spend almost all of my time detailing MARC 21 records to ensure that even the most unskilled computer user can find that elusive copy of Tanzra Swippersnap’s Guide to Lace Doilies and Tea Cozies, fourth edition. It’s a thankless task and with nearly painful levels of minutia. But I shudder at the mere idea of the workload involved in updating all of Ed’s notes to 3.5. I would think he would need a full time staff.

Which I would happy to apply for. ^_^

EDIT: Of course, by the time I was a fraction of my way through the workload, I’m sure there would be a new edition. Hooray for Job Security! :p

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 06 Mar 2006 13:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  15:13:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

I spend almost all of my time detailing MARC 21 records to ensure that even the most unskilled computer user can find that elusive copy of Tanzra Swippersnap’s Guide to Lace Doilies and Tea Cozies, fourth edition.

You know, I've been looking for a copy of that one...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  19:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

quote:

(yes, I’ve expanded the notes and updated them to 3.5e).

I am a cataloging librarian. I spend almost all of my time detailing MARC 21 records to ensure that even the most unskilled computer user can find that elusive copy of Tanzra Swippersnap’s Guide to Lace Doilies and Tea Cozies, fourth edition. It’s a thankless task and with nearly painful levels of minutia. But I shudder at the mere idea of the workload involved in updating all of Ed’s notes to 3.5. I would think he would need a full time staff.

Which I would happy to apply for. ^_^

EDIT: Of course, by the time I was a fraction of my way through the workload, I’m sure there would be a new edition. Hooray for Job Security! :p

It's a beyond thankless task (speaking as someone who's seen Ed's basement and some of Ed's notes), mainly because most of the notes haven't been brought into 1st Edition D&D, let alone 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5 edition....

It'd be a better bet that you might choose a task completeable in one lifetime, like cataloguing the fictional books of the Realms (a task I started but it's lapsed some since I gave that initial list from 2000 to WotC).

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  20:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

It's a beyond thankless task (speaking as someone who's seen Ed's basement and some of Ed's notes), mainly because most of the notes haven't been brought into 1st Edition D&D, let alone 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5 edition....

Just imagine a job “updating” Ed’s basement. Trying to file stuff in the right place, updating statistics to be compliant with current rules, and the occasional “Holy %$#@!!! So that’s why!”. Perhaps my idea of Mr. Greenwood’s basement is a touch overblown, but I get a strong mental image of a single naked bulb over a tiny desk, surrounded by heaps of overflowing boxes, ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Then there are the perks; “Why, Hello Lady Hooded. That’s a lovely skirt you’re wearing. Oops, I seemed to have dropped my pen.” )

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 06 Mar 2006 20:06:06
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  21:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Just imagine a job �updating� Ed�s basement. Trying to file stuff in the right place, updating statistics to be compliant with current rules, and the occasional �Holy %$#@!!! So that�s why!�. Perhaps my idea of Mr. Greenwood�s basement is a touch overblown, but I get a strong mental image of a single naked bulb over a tiny desk, surrounded by heaps of overflowing boxes, ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Then there are the perks; �Why, Hello Lady Hooded. That�s a lovely skirt you�re wearing. Oops, I seemed to have dropped my pen.� )

Oh I'd love to orgainze Ed's basement as I do enjoy organizing things, and being able to read things as you put them up and what have you would be a thrill for me. Just give me coffee, some music, a bite to eat and I can organize

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  03:43:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Steven, you may seen Ed’s basement, but I can top (err, bottom) that: * I’ve * made love in Ed’s basement.
(After that, a few bullets were nothing.)
Ahem.
Oh. Heh-heh. Hi again, all. This time, Ed tackles this query from Firhyanda: “. . .what would scholars in present day Faerun consider to be the Seven Wonders of the World? Is the Faerunian sensibility in general more inclined to be impressed by a natural wonder say a two mile high waterfall, or some construction of magic like a flying city? If I were to ask a waterdavian and a thayen these two questions would I get the same answer or at least an overlapping list? And what would the oldest living or unloving creature in the world consider the seven wonders of the ancient world to be?”
Ed replies:

The short, simple reply is that no Faerûnian creature would have any “Seven Wonders” list. It’s not something they’d ordinarily think about or speak of, certainly never in terms of a ranking of rival “wonders.” Folk in the Realms DO speak of wonders they’ve seen in distant lands, in taverns (usually when explorers or other far-traveled wayfarers are vying with each other to entertain the locals for some drinks or to seem important or to manipulate someone into investing in a venture). If you asked a particular Faerûnian, his reply would depend on him: if he was a farmer or rural person who’s never traveled far from his home village, he’d probably say so, and disqualify himself from relevant comment on the grounds that “they talk of many wondrous things, but I’ve not been and seen enough to tell you anything useful. I saw a melon as big as a cow once, in yon market, but then I’ve heard tell of bigger melons’n’ that, in bigger markets, see?”
Even alert, informed merchants or soldiers would say some variation on this, recognizing that they’ve hardly seen enough to venture a useful opinion. Priests and devout worshippers of one god above others would list the wonders associated with their deity (“the little stone stop Tharun’s Mount that bears the shape of Eldath’s hand, where she touched it when weeping over the death of a flower”), and that points at the key to Faerûnian attitudes towards wonders, and the reason my answer is taking the shape it is: in the Realms, everything’s slanted by the fact that EVERYONE knows the gods are real, and respects their power even when considering gods they fear, hate, or shun worship of; the knowledge that the gods walk the world (from time to time) and make changes to it colours everything. So various individuals might give you wildly different “seven wonders” lists, if you asked them to pick seven (and why seven? the concept has no significance to them, of course), UNLESS they were stay-at-homes from the same village, and so shared the same life experiences (“well, we’ve both been to Suzail once, and there were some pretty wondrous mansions THERE, let me tell you!”). So, yes, the Waterdhavian and the Thayan would probably give different lists based on different life experiences, NOT on nationalistic (or even cultural) grounds. (By “cultural,” I mean that unless they were more stupid or self-centered than most folk, both would recognize and say that they’ve not seen enough in their travels to be sure they weren’t missing important “wonders,” as a preeminent factor over seeing things as exemplifying a slave-based culture [as good or bad] or a mercantile, cosmopolitan crossroads trading center [as good or bad].)
“The Faerûnian sensibility” is “in general more inclined to be impressed by a natural wonder” than a magical construction, with one caveat: the most awe is evoked by natural wonders for which no explanations are generally known, or no god is directly and clearly attributed as the cause of (so the waterfall or the natural arch NOT “known” to have been created by the god is generally more impressive than the one this or that god altered or created - - except to a devout worshipper of that god, of course. Everyone is impressed by major magical constructions like walking colossi or flying cities, but not as “wonders” UNLESS the means of making them is now unknown or forgotten (i.e. unless they’re now unattainable or mysterious). Yet this sort of “gosh wow” admiration is a step down and to one side of “the great wonders.” It’s more a “How did they DO that?” marveling (which is, to resurrect some very old Realmslore, why folk differentiate between “Marvels” and “Wonders;” the former being man- [or rather, sentient-being-] made items and magics and processes, and the latter being things that occurred naturally or mysteriously.

So saith Ed. Increasing our understanding of the Realms daily.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  04:43:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

It'd be a better bet that you might choose a task completeable in one lifetime, like cataloguing the fictional books of the Realms (a task I started but it's lapsed some since I gave that initial list from 2000 to WotC).

Steven

Good thing I updated it for you last year, Steven!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  06:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message
Greetings

Thank so much for your reply Ed, THO it would never have occurred to me to make a distinction between a marvel and a wonder as always truly a fascinating answer.

Firhyanda
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:31:12  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Egads, how many of us are librarians in training or librarians?? To keep this post official, Ed asked a question about who we would like to see more of in print (I am assuming print). I am at work so I don’t have access to the annual issue of Dragon but there was a young noble working in the Stonelands. I would like to see more ‘stuff’ about him if possible. Also the architecture articles are great, keep up the good work!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  19:23:42  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
A Lurker Above pounces!

Seeing as this is my first post, I probably don't count, but I am a longtime library employee (from page to circ desk to systems/network admin). Not a librarian, but my lovely wife is!

I suppose, now that I'm no longer lurking I should quickly ask a question (before the adventurers here panic & start slinging spells & slashing swords)!
hmmm...
Ed
I'm interested in how (or if) you dealt with gem magic in your home campaign? I'm referring to the gem powers described in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical - one of my favorites by the way. many of the gems described therin allowed their posessors to be protected or weild powers automatically (one shot magic missles when held, on provided ironguard protection to the wearer, etc) and I've wondered if you used them as such in your home game, or if players had to uncover certain spells/prayers/achemical treatments to release the gems's powers.
Thank you for years of entertainment!
:)
Rory Weston

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  22:26:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Stop lurking Rory! That is a great question.

I think that Ed has mentioned something on this topic a long while ago. Maybe on the Realms-L or maybe private e-mail. Either way, I'm looking forward to the response.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  22:51:35  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
With Sharantyr using them a lot in Hand of Fire, you can probably guess that they were in Ed's campaign.
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:26:44  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Thanks George!

There have been so many great questions piling up I felt guilty adding to the pile, but now that I've asked on it's hard to stop:
I'm always intrigued at what other use for "house rules", because face it - outside of a convention very very very few of us play any version of D&D straight by the book - so hearing about what Ed does/did in his home game is great.

Questions: It was alluded (way way back in a post somewhere last year) that in your home game Lurue(sp?)/Silverymoon was essentially the goddess of magic. The post whent on to explain TSR wanted a more "human" face to magic for the published Realms thus Mystra was elevated/emphasised and Silverymoon danced off to the side.
In your home game was Mystra always a goddess of magic, or was she something you added as a result publishing with TSR?
Did you always use the elven & dwarven pantheons?
I suppose I'm asking if the gods you listed in the article way back in Dragon #50-something the actual list you were using in your game, or your list + offical add-ons for the article?

Thanks again to Ed for sparing his time for these questions.

Thanks as well to the gracious Hooded One for forwarding these missives. You probably (from what been hinted at here) deserve thanks for being a modern day Harper, so ... thanks.

Rory Weston

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  02:07:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Rory, you’re very welcome - - and of COURSE you count!!!
Ed and his wife are, of course, long-time library workers (one is now retired, the other - - Ed - - now working part-time as a circulation clerk in one library, and busy being chair of the library board in another jurisdiction, as well as a frequent guest speaker at ALA Annual Conferences (and CLA, and OLA, and . . .)
Oooh. Almost went off into library heaven there. Also known as Ed’s house.
Enough bad library jokes. Oh, well, just one more; my own personal favourite: “The girl on the floor will help you.”
Hi, all. Ed responds to this question from Asgetrion: “Could the Bearded One reveal anything about the strange "ruins of glass" (perhaps build of Glassteel?) in Farsea Marshes, and perhaps if there were any ruins in the Vast Swamp in the "Home Realms"?”
Ed replies:

Sorry, those ruins are NDA at the moment. Yes, there are many ruins in the Vast Swamp. No, I’m not going to say one word more about them right now, because of Realmsplay in those very same “Home Realms.” Sorry.

So saith Ed. Short and not-so-sweet this time. Ah, well.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Mar 2006 02:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  04:22:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Questions: It was alluded (way way back in a post somewhere last year) that in your home game Lurue(sp?)/Silverymoon was essentially the goddess of magic. The post whent on to explain TSR wanted a more "human" face to magic for the published Realms thus Mystra was elevated/emphasised and Silverymoon danced off to the side.
In your home game was Mystra always a goddess of magic, or was she something you added as a result publishing with TSR?
Did you always use the elven & dwarven pantheons?
I suppose I'm asking if the gods you listed in the article way back in Dragon #50-something the actual list you were using in your game, or your list + offical add-ons for the article?

To repeat that Lurue answer, from almost 2 years ago (about 2 weeks shy of 2 years!):

quote:
Well met again, all. Your Lady Hooded One returns (thank you for that naming, Wooly Rupert!), with Ed’s latest:

Hi, Wooly Rupert. Well, now: Nobanion and Lurue are, of course, the Lion and the Unicorn of British nursery rhyme fame (with all the meanings that go with that, too; they are among other things the supporters of the royal coat of arms for that country, and in many other coats of arms associated with England).
Yet they’re also MUCH more than that. For me, I have to be able to imagine a deity with some awe, and I often do it by attaching to them emotions evoked by other fiction. So, the Lion is also Aslan the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Christian allegorical fantasy classics soon to appear in a Disney movie that * might * turn out to be okay, and already on film in any number of BBC adaptations down the years, some of them superb). The Narnia books are hated by some, loved by others, but chock-full of little heart-wrenching scenes regardless, and are among the top-selling English-language fiction books of all time.
I didn’t mean my lion-god to BE Aslan, of course; as you saw in that DRAGON article, a lot of names were placeholders at the time, waiting for Mr. Gygax to round out the “official” (Greyhawk) pantheon. Aslan has that name because he has evoke that “awe” for me. The name “Aslan” is Indian in origin (India, not native North American), and the lion is of course a Christian symbol for ‘the King’ from way back, hence its lavish use in royal heraldry.
So “Aslan” went away the moment TSR decided to publish the Realms (mustn’t lift central characters from other authors, even in homage, though I did unwittingly [i.e. I’d forgotten] sneak one direct homage into the Realms [Aglarond, for Tolkien], and beat another well-known fantasy author to a name by coincidence, coining the name “Ashaba” for the river that runs through Shadowdale years before David Eddings used it in his Malloreon books).
Lurue is my own invented name, but it started almost as the deity’s ‘private’ name, with “Silverymoon” being her popular one (and, yes, the city of the same name was originally envisaged as the root and center of her faith). Not only is Lurue the Unicorn of “the Lion and the Unicorn,” she’s also the mysterious, eponymous unicorn from the children’s book THE LITTLE WHITE HORSE by Elizabeth Goudge, AND she’s also meant to evoke the Unicorn of Amber, in Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber books (where the Unicorn inspires awe even among the jaded royal family who use her as their badge). She was always meant to be mysterious, and there’s very little about her that didn’t go into POWERS & PANTHEONS that doesn’t now contradict the published Realms.
Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.
The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.
Now, as for the Knights of the Unicorn, I do have more, but dare not pass it on right now for fear of trampling on something another creative person is already working on, in the Realms. That’s one rule I’m going to be very careful not to break, no matter how much we all want to delve into lore and secrets of the Realms. So: sorry, and I hope you’ll understand.

So saith Ed. Thy Hooded One can add this much: we Knights met Lurue once, in the High Forest, on the banks of the Unicorn Run. She was dancing on her hind legs on empty air, about forty feet off the ground, in full silvery moonlight -- and we all grovelled. She LOOKED into our eyes, each of us -- and Ed had written out long, detailed notes for each of us for the dream-visions we received then. When we awakened, we were all reinvigorated, healed of all hurts, had maximum charges in all of our magic items, and so on. The one virgin among us (no, I’m not going to name her, but it wasn’t my character, all you guessers) had been touched by Lurue’s horn, and her eyes were two flames of silver fire. Also, her hair had gone silver and moved constantly by itself, as if waves of wind were passing through it. She gained feather fall and water walk innate abilities on the spot, and ironguard as long as the silver fire was in her. It remained with her as we travelled, until we had to fight a certain archdevil in Myth Drannor.
In that encounter, we were overwhelmed by devils and were going down, just being buried in numbers. The archdevil saw the silver fire and went straight for the particular Knight, and after they’d started to fight and the character was being badly mauled, the player (thank whatever gods there be) REMEMBERED Ed’s notes of her dream-vision, and what she had to do. She fled onto the altar beside the devil (that was also a gate into the Nine Hells), and when the archdevil attacked her there, she embraced it and let it slay her.
And her silver fire went BLAM and took out altar, gate, archdevil, and all the other devils within a MILE, leaving all of us Knights lying dazed, unscathed, and alive . . . except she who’d sacrificed herself. She was gone forever.
And at that moment, far away in Shadowdale, Storm Silverhand was helping a farm wife give birth to her first child, a girl—and it came out stillborn. Storm raised the tiny body to make absolutely sure before she wrapped it and turned to comfort the mother . . . and its eyes opened, and they were silver and knowing, and the mind of our lost Knight was in the now-living child and wondering how by Lurue to tell Storm who she was.
Hmm. I’m crying again, just remembering it.
Another of Ed’s beautiful little moments, that will make me treasure our Realmsplay forever.

Ladies and gentlesirs, I give you: the Realms!
The Hooded One

And, while it doesn't directly address your question on Mystra, the following answer does reveal that she's been a part of the Realms for quite a long time:

quote:
Ah, shrewdly spoken, Melfius! Well said!
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed replies to darling Woolpert:

Wooly Rupert, Elminster and the Seven Sisters were ALWAYS Chosen of Mystra as they came into personal focus (in other words, by about 1972 I knew what a Chosen of Mystra was, some of the identities of the Chosen, and a lot about Mystra herself; I hadn’t figured out who the Seventh Sister was, and in fact left that for Steven Schend to deal with, much later, but before there ever was a D&D game, I knew that a select circle of powerful folk, many of the ladies being sisters who had silver hair and were ‘almost’ daughters to Mystra, were ‘special’ servants of hers, called the Chosen).
When TSR first purchased the Realms, this matter was informally discussed VERY briefly and then kept for my home campaign rather than being championed into print (I believe the thinking on the TSR end was that Dragonlance had used gods masquerading as mortal characters or developing from mortals before the readers’ eyes, so this Dragonlance-specific element had to be omitted from the Realms, but this is just a personal guess).
I dropped plenty of hints as to a ‘special relationship’ between Khelben, El, the Sisters, and Mystra and Azuth, and particularly between El and Mystra, during my 1986 turnover packages to Jeff Grubb at TSR, but you have to peer very carefully at the Old Gray Box to see hints of them.
The formal relationship was properly introduced to TSR later on for the same reasons I’d created it originally: they wanted to know why in tarnation certain characters could do, or had accomplished, what they did (and the status of Chosen was the explanation).
I know some TSR folks thought this was a mistake, and others welcomed the ‘superhero’ flavor the Chosen might be able to inject into the Realms (this being a currently-enticing design philosophy, at the time), but for me, it was merely revealing the explanation for why the Zhents hadn’t swept away Shadowdale long ago, the bad guys weren’t ALREADY ruling the known Realms, and so on: there had to be vigorous Forces For Good or Stability or the Status Quo ‘on the ground’ in the Realms, working against the jackbooted hurl-all-walls-down-ers.
Please note that this was part of limiting Mystra’s dominant divine power, and that only she was to have Chosen. Continuing the superhero vein, other creators working in the Realms invented Chosen of X and Chosen of Y, but it was never intended that other deities have Chosen who were more than mortal champions or individuals marked with the deity’s favor: Mystra was and is ‘special.’ As the goddess of magic in a high-magic world, she has to be.
So yes, “El and Storm and Khelben and the rest” WERE “Chosen from the beginning,” but the decision to feature them as such WAS “decided later on.”

So saith Ed. I’ve read longhand pencil manuscripts of Ed stories that bear dates in the early 1970s (before there was a D&D game) that refer to various characters being Chosen (one passage I recall was: “So it comes to this, Chosen of Mystra. Think you your fancy titles impress me, or will avail you one finger’s-worth in deciding this fray?”).
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  04:48:05  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
At the bookstore I was leafing through a copy of The Hobbit, which reminded me that the Shire (and perhaps other parts of Middle Earth) had a postal service.

Do areas in Faerun have something akin to a postal service?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  05:44:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

At the bookstore I was leafing through a copy of The Hobbit, which reminded me that the Shire (and perhaps other parts of Middle Earth) had a postal service.

Do areas in Faerun have something akin to a postal service?

See Ed's November 3, 2004 post to Blind Ranger, which can be found in my files in my sig. :) Look through the table of contents/index. :)

I didn't quote his answer because it is long and it can be found elsewhere without adding a long post to this scroll. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Mar 2006 05:57:44
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  05:49:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Here's one for Ed to answer when he's done with all the proper Realms-questions (which I suppose, would be at least a decade or so after he's turned into an arch-lich) that I came up with whilst doing my paper-rout in a freezing -18 degrees Celsius last morning:

How does all those bearded inhabitants of the Realms' northern parts deal with the frost forming in their facial hair on a cold winter day if they can't get inside?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 08 Mar 2006 05:49:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  13:29:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
WotC has snuck out the next part of Oroon Rising. Chapter 10: Phantom Perils

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. I really MUST reply to this, from Jindael: (Then there are the perks; “Why, Hello Lady Hooded. That’s a lovely skirt you’re wearing. Oops, I seemed to have dropped my pen.”)
Sigh. Librarians.
You don’t have to go through that charade and all that unpleasant bending. It can be hard on the pens.
Just say, “Why, hello, Lady Hooded. That’s a lovely skirt you’re wearing, but I’d like to see what’s under it even more.” And I’ll smile and strip. It’s that easy.
With me. You probably wouldn’t want to try that conversational gambit on most other females.
Hello, everybody.
Yes, I do bring another reply from Ed. This time, an almost instantaneous one, to Rory Weston’s queries (oh, and Rory, you’re quite welcome; yes, I’d be a Harper if there were Harpers in the real world): “Ed I'm interested in how (or if) you dealt with gem magic in your home campaign? I'm referring to the gem powers described in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical - one of my favorites by the way. Many of the gems described therein allowed their possessors to be protected or wield powers automatically (one shot magic missiles when held, one provided ironguard protection to the wearer, etc.) and I've wondered if you used them as such in your home game, or if players had to uncover certain spells/prayers/achemical treatments to release the gems's powers. Thank you for years of entertainment! It was alluded (way way back in a post somewhere last year) that in your home game Lurue(sp?)/Silverymoon was essentially the goddess of magic. The post went on to explain TSR wanted a more "human" face to magic for the published Realms thus Mystra was elevated/emphasised and Silverymoon danced off to the side. In your home game was Mystra always a goddess of magic, or was she something you added as a result of publishing with TSR? Did you always use the elven & dwarven pantheons? I suppose I'm asking if the gods you listed in the article way back in Dragon #50-something the actual list you were using in your game, or your list + offical add-ons for the article?”
Ed replies:

Skeptic was quite right; gem magic was and is present and used in the “home” Realms campaign. Rory, you mentioned house rules; well, here’s one of mine: unless you as a player SAY “player to player” (e.g. player to player: pass me the chips) or “player to DM” (e.g. player to DM: I’ve lived here all my life; have I ever seen this guy before? [referring to an NPC in play], what comes out of your mouth, comes out of your character’s mouth, too. So, no “PC huddles” wherein they discuss how to attack an officer of the Watch or a beholder or dragon or drow commander, five feet away from said foe. Of course, over the years, we stopped saying “player to player” and “player to DM” and replaced them with a gesture (hand waved over one’s own head; take whichever hand is free, raise it until the back of your own wrist is touching the top of your own head, twist the hand upright, and wave hello to the world).
Ahem. Now, then: gem magic. Of course all of those powers applied in my home campaign, without a lot of unlocking magic (except for a very few types of gems). However, the PCs had to uncover the gem LORE by themselves (asking sages, watching NPC behaviour, researching in libraries and sometimes by experimentation), long before anything was published in DRAGON (the first time around) or in official Realms products like the Volo’s series (the second time around). This is typical of the “home” Realms campaign: there’s a lot of PC acting to manipulate information out of people, spying, directly asking things or trading information or valuables for information (or even tasks for information: “We’ll kill the stirge if you tell us the name of - - -”), and NOT a lot of hack’n’slash time.
As for your gods questions: yes, Mystra was always a goddess of magic (and so was Azuth; they had very similar portfolios; my original gods had a lot of “deities vying for the same portfolio” situations that TSR changed to simplify and clean things up, into more clear-cut ‘THIS is the god of stoplights, and THAT is the god of road signs’ situations); she wasn’t added when the Realms was being prepared for publication. I always used elf and dwarf pantheons, but mine were rather nebulous, because it was obvious that Gary Gygax and the other TSR designers of the time were revealing more and more of the relevant lore, so (as I explained in the DRAGON 53 article you refer to) a lot of my deities were “placeholders,” awaiting “official” deities to step into the slots.
My elves were “The Fair Lords and Bright Ladies,” manifested as dancing motes of light that wrote things or infused things or left gifts or moved things, and (by night only), full-sized, glowing silvery taller-than-two-humans elven figures. I later gave these names (Rillifane and Corellon creeping in as TSR imparted details), and then adopted Roger Moore’s elf pantheon published in DRAGON the moment Gary Gygax said (in a letter to the editor) that it was darn near official (the rulebooks soon made it so). Same with the dwarves (who began as The Bright Axe, which appeared upright, stark, surrounded by a glowing halo, and was sworn by: “By the Bright Axe!” and then got Clanggedin and Moradin ‘creeping in’ as detail, and so on.
When I decided to ‘balance’ the deities by alignment, and round out their portfolios (not a new idea in folklore, but new to D&D at the time), I developed them, and only later offered it to DRAGON as “one DM’s approach” to creating a pantheon, providing only Tempus as a “more-fleshed-out” sample deity because cramming all the details for all the gods would have taken about three years-worth of DRAGON issues, back then. So, yes, the DRAGON article presented the “actual list” of deities I was using in-game, though as noted in the article, I was using my elementals as placeholders, and of course the article concentrated on human deities.
What never got properly put into print (largely because TSR management didn’t want real-life kids or pranksters imitating what I wrote and getting the company into legal trouble) were all my details for priests (“As a cleric of X, you have this creed, these taboos, these “must do” tasks, and you worship like this, praying with these words at these times and situations, and in this fashion”). Largely, these details are STILL missing (in the case of Ilmater, Loviatar, Sharess, and Sune, just to pick four, I can quite understand why, though the Lady Hooded has in the past demonstrated some rituals for visiting gamers, usually to their shocked delight).

So saith Ed. Yes I did, didn’t I? Although the rest of you played along marvellously. I recall in particular my star turn as the priestess of Loviatar, plying my whip whilst all of the male players (and the DM; hello there, Ed) stood in a half-circle in front of me, facing away from me, and took turns bending, dropping their drawers, and pleading, “For the glory!” just as fast as I could turn and swing the scourge. The faces of the visiting gamers’ parents (“important” lawyers and businessfolk, and dressed to match) were a PICTURE. And to give them their due: when their children begged to be allowed to go on playing with us, they allowed it. Reluctantly, and demanding full reports. I understand several of the fathers wanted to hear every last glowing detail of MY shenanigans, including exacting descriptions of what I looked like in my various states of dress and undress.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  02:12:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I swear, Ed, someday I will manage to get the rest of those rituals out of you. :) Even if it is through private buggings and private replies.... hehehe.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Mar 2006 05:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  02:16:31  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
quote:

Ed replies:

.... Of course, over the years, we stopped saying “player to player” and “player to DM” and replaced them with a gesture (hand waved over one’s own head; take whichever hand is free, raise it until the back of your own wrist is touching the top of your own head, twist the hand upright, and wave hello to the world).

I've actually used the exact same thing (hand on your head means you're out of character -- everything else said is in character). It definitely works well for keeping folks in character and keeping the game moving along (you kind of feel like an idiot talking with your hand on your head).

THO, I'm also obviously gaming with the wrong folks. I'm kind of shuddering at the thought of any of my players <insert goon image here> wielding a whip during a gaming session.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  02:43:31  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message
Thank you for the swift reply Ed!
I can't say I'm surprised at your aswers to the Gem lore question.
It makes sense that there would be no need for you to worry about player vs character knowledge on such matters - what they know is what they find out in game.
It's hard to amaze your players with these interesting tidbits when they've run out & bought volos guide to all things magical.

"Before we rush off to fight the blast wizards of Raurin I want to make the rounds of the market and seek out a jewelers. I want to convert my coin into something more portable - perhaps a nice necklace of Angi Mani stones, hey - I'll buy everyone in the party one, we'll look stylish!"

Sigh.

Time to mix & match some gem powers, and sprinkle in a few bits of misinformation to keep them on their toes!

Rory Weston

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  03:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Ed and/or THO,

Another easy one that you can probably rattle off the top of your heads: tavern/nightclub terminology and slang. Looking for Realms-equivalents of the following, along with anything related that occurs to you in the process:

1)'Wingman' - There is likely a shortage of fighter pilots in the Realms, so: a friend who covers your flank while you go into a perilous situation, such as picking up girls.

2)'Tab' - Ongoing tally of what you owe a bartender or shopkeeper with whom you do regular business.

3)'Coat-check' - Storage of not only coats, but also weapons or other gear not permitted in some taverns, festhalls and nightclubs. Related: what is typically done about magic items that are too dangerous/valuable to be turned over to an innocent woman/young man at the door, but are not appropriate to be carried into the taproom? Staves limned in crawling green flames, for example.

4)'Bouncer' - This may well have been covered in canon as 'doorguard' or some such, but surely some more colorful Realms-flavor term has evolved in the Home Realms campaign?

This is coming up in reference to the Copper Cup, in Waterdeep. If that jogs the memory for further detail: so much the better.

Thanks to you both,

-Karth

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  04:46:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I swear, Ed, someday I will manage to get the rest of those rituals out of you. :) Even if it is through private buggings and replies.... hehehe.

Heh... Not if I don't get to him first .

Although, I wouldn't mind learning more about this particular Loviatar ritual THO just mentioned .

Preferrably, through experience .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2006 04:47:45
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  18:25:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Mr. Greenwood,

How much of a secret is the city of Skullport? Would the average person in Waterdeep or the Sword Coast have heard of it? How many would believe it?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000