Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  21:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. This time, a swift reply from Ed:
(snip)

And while I’m at it, Jamallo Kreen, “Ed of the Green Wood” was coined by THO years ago to refer to the three-acre-or-so forest behind my home (yes, it’s mine, so I suppose you could call it my backyard); she meant that it was a pleasant place to sun herself in the nude, so I guess the “verdant forest” is the right answer, though she hasn’t made love in every last little corner of it yet, so perhaps the OTHER meaning holds true, too. :}

So saith Ed. Ahem. No, I haven’t, and while the snow’s this deep I think I’ll stick to my favourite horizontal treetrunks, and your cozy little cabin . . .
love to all,
THO

Thank you both. (BTW, I blush far too easily for such discussions! Don't stop on my account, just bear in mind that any facial redness of mine is a blush and not developing bird flu.)

Unfortunately I do not have the 2nd edition "Anauroch" handy, but I have a question regarding the Bedine glossary. One word is listed as meaning "tell." Is that "tell" the verb meaning "to inform," or "tell" the noun meaning "heap of dirt over an ancient ruin"? If the former, does the Bedine language (or any Torilian language, for that matter) take linguistic notice of heap o' ruins tells?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  22:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical mentions that safeholds are an ancient magical technology. Can extra-dimensional containers such as bags of holding be safely brought into them or do they follow the same rules as “modern” extra-dimensional spaces which rupture space-time when bags of holding are brought into them, landing adventurers in courts presided over by white cats?

(For the benefit of the non-cognoscenti, the last comment is a reference to The Order of the Stick,.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  01:09:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Kuje recently posted this: “Ed, This comment from THO to me back in 2004 has caused some heated dislike on the WOTC boards because people feel that it's not "fair" to those who wield spellfire that they can't absorb Shadow Weave magics and so I was wondering, via a lore stand point, if you could expand on why spellfire wouldn't be able to absorb Shadow Weave based magics.
The comment was: November 24, 2004, "kuje31, Ed wanted me to reiterate that he’s not the right person to ask about official 3.5e games rules questions (he’d refer this one to Rich Baker), but if this arose in a situation where he was DM, Ed would not allow access to both Shadow Weave and Weave-based effects (including spellfire). In his words, that’s like the ‘greedy-greedy’ space soldier who wants to fire a matter-ray and an anti-matter ray at the same time. Nuh-uh."
Also, some people feel that comment really isn't an "answer" to use when someone asks for lore on if a spellfire wielder can't absorb Shadow Weave magics. How those posters believe that, I'm not sure. Since it seems clear, in that comment, that you wouldn't allow a spellfire wielder to absorb Shadow Weave based magics, but er, they claim that isn't what you meant. :)”
So posted Kuje.
Ed replies:

Uh-oh. Kuje, I’m afraid I MAY to have to pull the old rug out from under you here. Those posters are correct in asserting “that isn’t what I meant.” I was responding specifically to a situation where someone wanted to wield/hurl Shadow Weave-based magics AND wield spellfire (or any Weave-based spells) at the same time. My answer to that is NO, for game balance reasons. Like the kid at GenCon 14 who got angry when someone disallowed his homebrew character in the Open tournament that was a good priest, necromancer, wizard, and assassin all-in-one, and the kid wanted to heal himself, blast foes with a flame barrier, blast the same foes with negative energy, blast the same foes with a Meteor Swarm, AND sneak attack one of them from behind for triple damage, all in the same round, claiming “there isn’t anything specific in the rules that prohibits me from doing that.” He was right, there wasn’t, BUT . . . :}
So I say again: one character can’t both wield spellfire and cast Shadow Weave spells; the two will war with each other in the character’s body and disintegrate him or her (whereas if spellfire and a Shadow Weave spell both struck the same character as a target, both would take effect; just what effect would depend on what the spell’s usual effect was - - in other words, can it act before the spellfire “drinks” it?).
However, spellfire trumps all magic. A spellfire wielder CAN absorb Shadow Weave-based magics. Note that the spellfire just destroys the magic on contact, “sucking in” the spell or spell effect. Unlike a Weave-based magic, the absorbed energy is just “gone.” It doesn’t fuel or aid the spellfire user in any way (aside from obliberating or preventing whatever effects the Shadow Weave-based magic would ordinarily have had). Spellfire simply causes Shadow-Weave magic to cease to exist, upon contact. So if the posters meant, “Can a spellfire channeler (or other spellfire-wielding character) absorb Shadow Weave magic to power their spellfire?” the answer is no, and you’re right. But a spellfire channeler (or other spellfire-wielding character) CAN absorb Shadow Weave, without harm to themselves [without being themselves disintegrated], automatically upon contact between spellfire and the Shadow Weave magic, and such absorption is silent, instant oblivion for the magic.

So saith Ed, creator of spellfire (oh, yes, and the Realms, too ).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  04:53:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Thanks Ed, yes that was what the poster was originally asking and so all of us were right and wrong. :)

Edit: Also, I'm making sure that my above edits to my earlier post that is up above in this thread was seen by THO and sent along with my original post. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Feb 2006 05:21:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  04:56:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Thanks Ed, yes that was what the poster was originally asking and so all of us were right and wrong. :)

So I can see...

Still, we had the jist of it right .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  05:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
Unfortunately I do not have the 2nd edition "Anauroch" handy, but I have a question regarding the Bedine glossary. One word is listed as meaning "tell." Is that "tell" the verb meaning "to inform," or "tell" the noun meaning "heap of dirt over an ancient ruin"? If the former, does the Bedine language (or any Torilian language, for that matter) take linguistic notice of heap o' ruins tells?

That's a good question. I mean, if anyone is likely to develop a word similar to the noun form of 'tell', it's the Bedine!

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:38:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Actually Ed,

I take off the table my earlier post and it doesn't need an answer unless you feel that you want to answer about magic that creates life and if it is unnatural and evil. I've since decided to leave the WOTC boards because of various reasons. However, I will send along your replies to the posters from those boards when you answer them.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  22:04:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Just as long as you around Kuje is fine with us, WOTC can get a little crazy as we both know but it serves it's purpose.

Glad to have you

BTW do you go to Gencon?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  00:22:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody. Ed sails into Wooly Rupert’s question: “I was reading the Dragon Magazine article on fantasy astrological signs, earlier this eve... It made me ponder a couple of things. Though both topics have been discussed, I don't believe anyone has ever thought to ask Ed. So... Does astrology exist in the Realms? Is there a zodiac? And what constellations exist in the Realms?”
Ed replies:

Yes, Wooly, there’s astrology in the Realms, though not by that name and not as we know it. Rather, soothsayers and fortune-tellers use the position of the stars (and sometimes, especially in the Shining South and Calimshan, by the position of tokens tossed blindly onto a star-chart) as one influence in predictions and divinations. There’s no zodiac by that name, nor are people deemed to have characteristics because of the “sign they’re born under” (as real-world astrology has it) or “year they’re born in” (as in real-world Chinese beliefs). Rather, individuals are said to be marked by a “guiding star” or “falling star” (comet or meteor shower), or by a conjunction of constellations that may have occurred at their birth (particularly if this conjunction is rare, or has a fell reputation).
There ARE constellations in the Realms, and I’ve provided some sketchy star-lore in print over the years, Elaine and others contributing more. As Eric said, AJA has done a very good job of gathering it all together (as well as weaving in his own lore) - - and I’m afraid I can’t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.

Sigh. Sorry, Wooly dearest (may I stroke your fur here, where it’s so soft? Just a little lower? Yes?).
More Realmslore next time,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  00:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, everybody. Ed sails into Wooly Rupert�s question: �I was reading the Dragon Magazine article on fantasy astrological signs, earlier this eve... It made me ponder a couple of things. Though both topics have been discussed, I don't believe anyone has ever thought to ask Ed. So... Does astrology exist in the Realms? Is there a zodiac? And what constellations exist in the Realms?�
Ed replies:

Yes, Wooly, there�s astrology in the Realms, though not by that name and not as we know it. Rather, soothsayers and fortune-tellers use the position of the stars (and sometimes, especially in the Shining South and Calimshan, by the position of tokens tossed blindly onto a star-chart) as one influence in predictions and divinations. There�s no zodiac by that name, nor are people deemed to have characteristics because of the �sign they�re born under� (as real-world astrology has it) or �year they�re born in� (as in real-world Chinese beliefs). Rather, individuals are said to be marked by a �guiding star� or �falling star� (comet or meteor shower), or by a conjunction of constellations that may have occurred at their birth (particularly if this conjunction is rare, or has a fell reputation).
There ARE constellations in the Realms, and I�ve provided some sketchy star-lore in print over the years, Elaine and others contributing more. As Eric said, AJA has done a very good job of gathering it all together (as well as weaving in his own lore) - - and I�m afraid I can�t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.

Sigh. Sorry, Wooly dearest (may I stroke your fur here, where it�s so soft? Just a little lower? Yes?).
love,
THO

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  03:00:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I’m afraid I can’t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.

Ah, well. 'Twas just a curiosity. No worries, I'll have another one in a couple of days.

quote:

Sigh. Sorry, Wooly dearest (may I stroke your fur here, where it’s so soft? Just a little lower? Yes?).
love,
THO

My Lady Hooded One, I am ever at your service! Especially since you know right where to touch...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  04:42:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
And now, for some real Realmslore questions from me. :) Gasp! Surprise!

I'm curious, Ed, about make-up and other beauty products. I can't recall any references to such things in published lore, or maybe there's some in passing but, those references don't give enough details.

So, where is make-up made? What cities import and or export these types of products? What kinds of make-up are there? What are they made out of? Hmmm, lets see... what else. How much do they cost? How are they sold? Are there shops/stores that sell them? Who uses them the most? I figured that nobles and other... carnal workers, shall we say?, would use them. And, anything else you might think is relevant to the topic.

Don't you just love when I come to you with strange questions that I think of while I'm reading different books? :) I was going to ask about clothing, but I went with make-up for now. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Mar 2006 04:48:38
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  04:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
There are lots of references to makeup/cosmetics, but as you say, no particular detail (as I recall).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  05:12:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

As Eric said, AJA has done a very good job of gathering it all together (as well as weaving in his own lore) - - and I’m afraid I can’t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.
Confound it!

That kind of works against a question I was going to ask about the stars and planets in the Torilian system itself. Unless...

THO, I have a general planetoid question I'd like to ask Ed. Are discussions about the other planets in the system also covered by NDA? Or should I just pose my question first and let Ed decide?

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  00:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message
Thank you THO, please pass my thanks to Ed as well. The information on Duuthskor has helped greatly. I must say he has a way with names be they people or places, they all sound interesting or unique, yet not jarring or "trying too hard" as I've seen in many games and the creations of others.

quote:
Ed makes reply:

Hey, you’re quite welcome. I hope we all continue to find the Realms enjoyable for years to come. Even if I don’t ever get around to writing all the background lore I want to, and that scribes keep asking for.
The island you refer to is Duuthskor, and there’s nothing on it but frozen ice. Or, to put it another way, it’s solid rock, frozen (and thus easily shattered) down forty feet or so, and then thawed by the (comparative) warmth of lava flows that are MUCH deeper in the Underdark. On top of the fissured, scoured-bare rock is sixty feet or so of solid, never-melting (these days) ice.
It’s north of Umukek, but doesn’t appear in the map views of the FR Interactive Atlas for the very good reason that it’s entirely hidden by pack ice, and so seems part of the arctic “mainland.” So despite its size, there’s nothing to interest adventurers - - on its surface, at least; in the Underdark, its fissures are one of the many sources of falling water that eventually join in rivulets and then underground streams (drinking water to Underfolk) and flow to join great underground lakes.
Folk of surface Faerûn today have entirely forgotten about this huge island, and don’t know where “Duuthskor” (a place in the oldest Uthgardt legends, and mentioned in some dwarven chants) is.
In other words, at some point in the past (circa Netheril, at the very latest, and probably much earlier), it wasn’t covered by pack ice, and so was mapped, and preserved in maps now at Candlekeep and various temple libraries (notably those of Oghma and Deneir) . . . which is how it found its way into the Scholar’s map in the FRCS.
All of which means you’re free to make any use of it in your campaign you’d like. Just devise some reason, magical (big spell, or perhaps a crashed Netherese city that someone gets to and “restarts” the climate magics of, which would give you buildings and gardens and so: trees and greenery and prowling monsters and treasure, or at least something other than cold, broken bare rock) or otherwise (volcanic eruption? doesn’t have to be explosive or form an ash cone { = volcano} but can just be a welling-up of magma to the surface, that melts the ice from below, and lays bare the rock beneath), to clear the pack ice away, and (as Volo would say airily) “there you be: smiling!”

So saith Ed. Who is grinding away at his ever-heaping platter of work, and still some chapters of editing away from seeing to you, Kuje, but has NOT forgotten you.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  01:11:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time, Ed responds to Rowan’s question: “Are there going to be any Moonstars classes in any upcoming sourcebooks so players can join the organization? It would be great to have a few classes like those for Harpers.” and to his follow-up comments in the lively discussion that ensued: “The whole idea of the Harper Schism seems a bit contrived to me. Having worked with Khelben for so long and knowing who and what he is, wouldn't Harper leadership be a lot more lenient and ask him to explain his actions, knowing that he would never do anything to endanger the organization or its members? It's especially strange that Bran Skorlsun would be against him. Isn't that just a little bit ungrateful, considering Khelben had a major hand in saving his daughter? Surely he and others would have more faith in Khelben than that...” and “Yes, Khelben is a powerful archmage and Mystra's Chosen, so it's obvious he can vaguely see into the future and is attempting to manipulate events so the Realms are prepared for whatever he sees, which must be dire indeed for him to make a deal with the Zhentarim.”
Ed replies:

Rowan, even if I knew the contents of upcoming sourcebooks, I’d be legally unable to reveal them. Sorry. Helpful scribes have pointed you to the relevant published prestige class, and I hope you’re eager to read Steven Schend’s forthcoming BLACKSTAFF: it’s stunning!
Yes, Khelben is far-seeing and arrogant, having little time for fools and, as he grows older and detects the first irrefutable signs of his own aging (slightly lessened memory, concentration, temper control, and deftness), less and less patience with delays and with actions on the part of others that he deems foolish or self-serving. It’s not strange that Bran Skorlsun would be so dead-set against Khelben if you knew the whole story of their relationship (which we’ve not yet managed to properly and fully get into print, though the highlights have been laid forth for all).
Remember that not only do Khelben and the rest of the Chosen play “deeper,” longer-payoff games (manipulations) than almost everyone else in the Realms does (Larloch approaches their league, and Szass Tam is another rung lower, but most of the Harpers are many rungs lower down, well below Manshoon and even Fzoul in their impatience and their tendency, however much they wrestle with it, to see things in too simple, clear-cut, good-and-evil a manner, with an impatience for results and a tendency to label individuals as “bad guys”), but that all of the Chosen are consummate actors (when they bother to be) and try to manipulate their allies, friends, and intimates as well as the wider world (both in the Realms and, ahem, us readers). The Harpers don’t know the depths of Khelben’s games, but they know he jerks their chains with every word and deed of his that touches on them, and so don’t trust him at all. Like a treacherous bay fisherfolk sail in daily, he’s something that can turn on you and rend you utterly at any time, and so is to be warily watched. Always.
I wish I could say more, but I don’t want to stumble over what has become Steven’s baby, nor run into NDAs or anything that could lessen your enjoyment of his upcoming novel.

So saith Ed. Who’s still hard at work pounding out Realmslore (and other lore, too) in his basement, as the days pass, and his beard grows ever-whiter . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  01:24:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
This just in, from Ed:

To Archwizard and HunterofStorms, you’re very welcome - - and thank YOU for loving the Realms and playing in it. I’ve been INCREDIBLY busy these last three weeks adding to (official, but not yet published, of course) Realmslore, polishing things, and generally adding more depth, so it feels good to be thanked.
To The Sage: please, go ahead and ask. (Always.) We’ll worry about the NDAs when your queries are laid out before us all.
Ooops, must rush and finish something else. Later!
Ed
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  04:04:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

To The Sage: please, go ahead and ask. (Always.) We’ll worry about the NDAs when your queries are laid out before us all.
Ooops, must rush and finish something else. Later!
Ed
Great! Thank you Ed and to you as my lady .

Now, to finishing researching the background for my question .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  01:22:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody. Hoondatha asked Ed: “It's late, and a band of adventurers tramps through a dark forest. They see a campfire up ahead, and based on what they see, are fairly sure the people there will be friendly, provided they don't spook them too much coming up. So the band's leader approaches the firelight, opens his mouth, and...
What does he say? What's the Realms' version of "Hail the camp!"? Are there special procedures or etiquette that comes into play? How is this different between the North, Tethyr, and the Dalelands/Cormyr? Also, what about racial differences (a party of elves, of dwarves)?”
Ed replies:

The usual practice is to speak loudly, some variation on: “Ho! Peace be upon you! May we approach?” or “Firebright, swords sheathed, are we welcome?”
In Cormyr, this would change to: “In the name of the Dragon, we come in peace!” unless the speakers are Purple Dragons, War Wizards, or royal courtiers, who would say, “In the name of the King, we are [they’d identify their professions], and we come in peace!” A noble party (of one family and their retainers) might say: By the Dragon, we are of House [family name], and we come in peace! Let there be peace between us!”
In the Dales, the greeting is usually: “I ride peace, and it rides me! Ho for a place at the fire!”
In both the North and Tethyr, there’s some sort of “Hail!” and self-identification, followed by “Let there be peace between us!”
Pilgrims and clerical parties usually say, “In the name of [the deity; usually a descriptive phrase such as “Lady of Mysteries” is spoken here, rather than the name], let peace live (or flower) between us!
Elves and dwarves, within their own lands, have short sung (elves) and chanted (dwarves) phrases that boil down to “Hi, we’re approaching, but we come in peace!”
The elf phrase translates to:
Fair be our meeting, for our hearts are light and our swords sheathed, we hold peace in our hands and its light guides us.
The dwarf chant translates as:
We come, walking on, just walking on, no trouble here, no axe-hunger here, no feud nor fight sought here. We come. We come, as passing breeze not invader. We come.

So saith Ed. A little bit of essential Realmslore, I’d say. Well done, Hoondatha; you’ve aided us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message
Greetings, O Exalted Sages!

As background for a character, I'm looking to 'set up' a smallish, semi-permanent settlement of Eilistraeean drow in the Semberholme area which has some (strained) relations with the other elven races in the area. (Their presence is tolerated to a certain extent, but it's unlikely many of the local Tel'Quessir would shed tears if they were gone.)

This being so, I'm hunting after a little more detail about the elven settlements in the Semberholme/Lake Sember region, especially those on the lake's northern shore or towards the West Starwoods, and their status between, oh, Dale Reckoning 1100 and DR 1370. I've already downloaded several free .pdfs from the Wizards website - including Cormanthyr, Myth Drannor and Volo's Dalelands - but the timeframe of the former two makes them less than completely helpful in this particular matter, and we all know how hit-and-miss Volo can be.

Are (or were) there any 'sizeable' settlements of elves in that area (say, ~200 people or more)? (There's one named 'Aluiantl' marked on the Cormanthyr map, but I can find no reference to it elsewhere.) I'm not asking for full-page write-ups (though such would certainly be very nice and muchly appreciated): simple one-sentence sketches along the lines of "village of Wayouthere (located Justoverthere); population ~450 (mostly wood elves), fortified trading post; welcoming to elves, coolly civil to N'Tel'Quess" would give me ample foundation to build on. Mention of any such settlements which were abandoned during The Retreat (or extirpated by hostile action during the 1100-1370DR period) would also be helpful.

Many thanks are given for any help you can provide.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:40:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
THO, please forward the following to Ed. Thanks! :)
--------

Ed, I want to take a small amount of your time thanking you for Elminster's Daughter, which I am finishing at the moment. Last year has been extremely busy for me, and I had to put a hold on the reading of my ever-growing stack of unread FR novels.

To keep a long story short, I was delighted to see that the events of this book are based in Cormyr. It gives a really good update on the post-war situation there, gives us a glimpse of Caladnei's past and, last but certainly not the least, good old Vangy! (need I say more? need I more? )

Another reason the book struck a chord in me is maybe, just maybe, because a player in my Realms campaign is currently playing an Aglarondan bard/rogue (of Rashemi ancestry) who is slowly turning into a half-song dragon (via the dragon disciple class, interpreted in game as a slow, post puberty genetic mutation). Up to now, I was at a loss* in the department of suitable mothers... but now...

*Edit: I first thought about the song dragon family living/defending Relkath's Foot, but now, thanks to ye, Sir, they have become my official red herrings!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 03 Mar 2006 14:52:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  05:19:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow Realms scribes. This time, Ed answers Torkwaret’s question: “Are there any "Bandit Lords" active in the Western Heartlands ?? By this term I mean warlords who possess a title (baron, count, etc.) and command their own bands or even small armies and indulge in waylaying caravans ?? If yes, could you give me some samples of such individuals ?? I'd be very, very grateful to you for an answer.”
Ed replies:

Yes, there are indeed, though they tend to be very local, low-profile, and not to last long (particularly if they’re foolish enough to operate within easy reach of Baldur’s Gate, Elturel, Scornubel, or Iriaebor; there are just too many folk in that vicinity who have a vested interest in untrammeled, profitable overland trade, and will hire or manipulate adventurers into attacking and wiping out such ‘robber barons.’
However, I can give you one prominent example of a current Bandit Lord who’s going for ‘the big time.’ He’s NDA right now, but watch the Realmslore web columns for “The Vigilant Baron.”

So saith Ed. Ho ho, goodies await!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  13:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
My humble greetings again, Lady Herald and Master Ed!

I wish to send my heartfelt thanks to Ed for writing the 'City of Splendors' with Elaine! It is an amazing book, filled with juicy details and a massive amount of essential Realmslore :)

It was nice to get a glimple at the everyday life of a guildmaster's family, and particularly I enjoyed the interaction/intrigue between differents social classes (merchants, watchmen/guardsmen and nobles). Or how rumours start and spread in a city like Waterdeep, and what are the consequences of those rumours. I wish I could thank you properly, but words seem to fail me. Let me just express my gratitude and say that every word in this book was well worth its price (and more!)

I have been playing the scion of House Tesper in our longest-running campaign since the days when the only members of the Waterdhavian noble houses listed in "canon" Realmslore were the patriarchs. Thus, I was delighted (and a bit relieved) to find that short reference to the unnamed (young?) "Lord Tesper" in a dragon outfit - I have to shamelessly admit that I imagined my character being there... :D

And you provided lore about wellhouses just as I was thinking to ask about them ;) (just kidding...)
But seriously, am I completely wrong in assuming that most wellhouses would be built on top of burnt down or dismantled/taken down buildings? (on top of their cellars - which have wells - that is)

Another question regards addressing nobility... I had assumed that 'Sir' or 'Young Master' was the proper form of addressing a young nobleman, and that 'Lord' was reserved only for addressing the Masked Lords?

Can you give any additional information about the Amalgamation? Its history, bases of operation, the gods they worship, etcetera :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Khondar
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  23:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Khondar's Homepage Send Khondar a Private Message
Sorry if this has been covered before – I did a quick search and did not find the information I was looking for.

With all the caravan’s trekking across the Realms has a ‘standard’ wagon size been adopted by the various merchant/caravan folk? By ‘standard’ size I’m really interested in wheel to wheel dimensions for a standard wagon – both length and width, and wheel diameter?

Also, are there any specialized wagons used in different areas of the Realms?

Basically, I’m looking for wagon information.

Thanks all for this site and the lore located within!!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  00:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Khondar

Sorry if this has been covered before – I did a quick search and did not find the information I was looking for.

With all the caravan’s trekking across the Realms has a ‘standard’ wagon size been adopted by the various merchant/caravan folk? By ‘standard’ size I’m really interested in wheel to wheel dimensions for a standard wagon – both length and width, and wheel diameter?

Also, are there any specialized wagons used in different areas of the Realms?

Basically, I’m looking for wagon information.

Thanks all for this site and the lore located within!!

Caravans and wagons were quite well covered in the novel Hand of Fire

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  00:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
I have two follow-up questions to Ed's response to RodOdom at the top of p. 15 regarding why Waterdeep eclipsed Baldur's Gate, given Baldur's Gate's more central location to other trade cities.

First, how civilized is the land falling between the River Chionthor and the Cloud Peaks?

Second, how much traffic is there on the Coast Way between Athkatla and Baldur's Gate?

Beyond that, I'd like to offer some observations and conjectures if I may.

I find it curious that the fertile, less forested grasslands lying between the Cloud Peaks and the River Chionthor haven't attracted farmers in droves. The only explanation I can think of for that is that monsters and brigands must infest the area in a really big way--plus, there is no central government taking initiative to eradicate them as was the case in Amn in previous centuries.

Judging from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, it sounds like is the land between Baldur's Gate and Nashkel is untamed wilderness still teeming with monsters. I.e., a few brave souls do attempt to make a go of farming here and there, but they are risktaking frontiersmen, essentially. My impression is that farming would be attempted mostly within villages with stockaded walls, or in the civilized countryside immediately surrounding the Western Heartlands' walled cities (eg, as with Baldur's Gate). In contrast, farms that are isolated out in the wilderness would seem to be at great peril.

I was particularly struck by your statement that Amn strives to dominate overland trade to the interior cities of the Western Heartlands. It occurs to me that caravan trade from Amn passing north over the Cloud Peaks would tend not to use the Coast Way. From Nashkel it seems more logical to use the more direct route of the Uldoon Trail to Berdusk, Iriaebor, Scornubel, and Elturel.

Further, it strikes me that the government of Baldur's Gate, controled as it is by sea captains (who have historically been at odds with farmers), might actually want for the region between Baldur's Gate and the Cloud Peaks to remain highly dangerous for overland caravan travel: this increases Baldur's Gate's attractiveness as a seaport. Indeed, the Coast Way remaining unsafe might be the only good reason that Baldur's Gate's mercantile and shipping companies continue to remain in business, given that Baldur's Gate's prices are consistently higher, and their trade ageements unfriendlier to foreign shippers, than Waterdeep's.

I would think most trade between Athkatla and Baldur's Gate takes place by sea. There are certainly dangers to sea travel, but sailors typically accept them readily. I would think most Amnian merchants would find sea trade preferable to the overland travel over the forbidding Cloud Peaks (with its treacherous passes often closed by snows) and the dangers of the monster filled wilderness of the southern Sword Coast.

Anyway, I could easily see the Coast Way section of the Trade Way between Baldur's Gate and Nashkel used only by the hardiest, most adventurous type of caravan trader. There are quicker and safer means by which to transport goods than the extremely dangerous Coast Way. And this in turn would help explain why Nashkel is still not much larger than a village, and Beregost remains a frontier trade town of only around 40 buildings.

And one final thought. Especially given Baldur's Gate's political isolationism, I don't see the Grand Dukes participating with the Pact's agreement to provide patrols for the safety along the Coast Way. As mentioned, the sea captains of Baldur's Gate benefit from the city's trade being predominantly by sea. I don't picture Duke Eltan, himself an old sea captain and explorer, deploying the Flaming Fist for that. The smaller mercenary companies in Baldur's Gate would provide protection for caravans, but that's a fee-for-service type of thing, having nothing to do with the Pact.

I can however see Beregost particpating in the Pact, as it is clearly in the town's interest to do so. I could see the Song of the Morning's men-at-arms providing regualr patrols along the Coast Way from Nashkel to Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  15:28:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time, Ed tackles Dargoth’s query: “A Fortune 500 Question for Ed/Who are the richest 10-20 people/beings in Forgotten realms and what do they do?/Presumably Mirt would be one of the wealthiest/Thanks in advance.”
Vvornth chimed in: “I would put my money (no pun intended) on prominent members of the clergy of Waukeen,” and Arivia added: “I'd bet you money we'll see a note on this in Power of Faerun...”
However, I took one look at Dargoth’s question and asked, “‘richest’ how? Most loved? Most influential? Owner of the most land and hard assets? Possessor of the most coins? Gems? Raw ore, as yet unmined? Human, demi-human, and humanoid races only? Or dragons and giants, long-existing liches, et al included?”
To which Dargoth responded: “Mainly "Owner of the most land and hard assets, Possessor of the most coins and Gems Gems"/So rich Finicially/Who are the Bill Gates, Rupert Mudorchs and Donald Trumps etc of Faerun./They can be of any Race.”
Right. Got it. Heeeeeere’s Ed (I’ve chopped his answer in half so as not to hit the post-length limit):

Sigh.
The trouble with this question is that some individuals truly don’t know or realize (or care) how wealthy they are, and don’t use their influence. Others, such as Larloch or Manshoon, have great behind-the-scenes influence and have the means to seize property almost at will. Still others have the high public profiles you allude to (Donald Trump isn’t wealthy at all compared to most Saudi oil sheiks, having built his empire largely with other peoples’ money, but he does have a high public profile - - whereas far more wealthy men like J. Paul Getty went to great lengths to avoid publicity when alive), though most REALLY wealthy individuals in the Realms want to keep their wealth and lives, and so keep themselves as hidden and low-profile as possible, sometimes faking their own deaths and adopting several “identities” to “hide in.”
Some rulers claim to own all land and wealth in their country, and so could claim stupendous wealth, even though they can’t really touch most of it. Others (high priests of faiths) could make the same claim, and augment it with wider influence than the rulers, too - - but although they may control the wealth of their churches, it isn’t “theirs,” and attempts to use it in ways their deity, or just other powerful followers of their deity, disagree with, can also lead to their sudden loss of power or life.
And what about dragons and their hoards? Some of them are very rich (though they’ll never willingly spend anything) and VERY powerful, if they choose to wake up and emerge to scourge lands or try to exert influence - - yet they are unknown to most folk in the Realms, and will probably stay that way.
So, you see, this is a nigh-impossible question to meaningfully answer. Almost as fruitless as “name the ten best movies of all time.”
So, of course, I’m going to try. ;}
First: Arivia, exactly how MUCH money would you like to wager? I’m a poor game designer, you know, and a windfall would come in mighty handy about now, what with RRSP deadlines and property taxes and first income tax instalment payments . . . never mind. That should be hint enough at a reply to your speculation.
Vvornth, you wagered rather more wisely, but see my comments above. I’m disqualifying clergy (though I’m NOT disqualifying devout lay worshippers), but otherwise you’d have been right about eight out of ten. (Well, only two out of ten if I hadn’t also tossed rulers out of the mix.)
I’m also leaving influence right out of things (no matter how much using it allows its wielder to increase their profits in a given field, market, season, or situation). Sorry, Dargoth, but in terms of wealth I’m largely also going to exclude fixed assets (land and buildings), to leave just cash or cash equivalents (like crops and warehouses full of swords or plowshares that were bought with cash for resale at a profit) - - though I WILL include rents (from owned or controlled rental properties).
Which brings us to the following ten “coin mountains” (yes, that’s what folk in the Realms call anyone who’s “stinking rich”). These are the richest ten, but I’m not going to say how rich, because I haven’t enough years left in my life to start counting - - so they aren’t listed in any ranked order, just as I came to them in my notes (yes, I’ve expanded the notes and updated them to 3.5e).

* Colnd Hurthblaer of Amn (NE male Chondathan human Rog7/Exp6), a middle-aged, nondescript recluse who lives quietly (spending little on himself and even less on public show) in Athkatla, running five shipping fleets and two trading costers (most folk, even trade rivals, don’t know he owns more than just one fleet, Brightstar Sails Trading, the one he built from nothing). He’s a large landlord in Amn and, during the Interregnum, became one in Tethyr, too. He particularly likes owning gem mines, and (through various intermediaries) has been hiring adventurers to travel all over Faerûn buying or seizing control of same.

* Ralan Razhiirym of Calimport (NE male Calishite human Ftr6/Ari5/Exp4), a black-bearded, now-ailing adventurer and rake born into wealth and (through smuggling, extortion, and forcible acquisition of drug trade concerns and costers) become much richer. Still acrobatic, he has the remains of flashy good looks, and formerly wenched his way across half Faerûn, shamelessly using the women he seduced to gain favours, information, contacts, and administrative decisions and permissions that his traders profited from.

* Sabbalad Asnam huul Marouk of Darrak’shar (CE male Calishite human Rog9/Exp7), a one-eyed, scarred former gem thief who fell into the service of the Syl-Pasha of Calimport, and was rewarded with his present rank (mayor of a fictitious settlement, which allows him to speak in support of the Syl-Pasha’s aims and policies as a mayor rather than an agent of the Syl-Pasha, and to appear as a selfless patriot, rather than a mouthpiece of the Syl-Pasha, when he travels The Shining Sea region as an unofficial envoy or diplomat for Calimshan, amplifying or backing up the official emissaries). While on his travels, Marouk never misses a chance to enrich himself. Strangely, he’s a friend and sometime ally and partner of Sammereza Sulphontis of Waterdeep, and he’s been known to trade with, and act for, yuan-ti in the region. All of which has armed him with antidotes for most snake venoms that most humans can never get, enabled him to control a lot of drug and ivory trading, and (through hired adventurers who soon fell prey to “accidents” of his devising) plunder rich tombs and dragon hoards (the dragons were slain in the process). He has several hidden lairs in caverns and cellars around The Shining Sea coasts, and most of them contain more gems than a man can carry.

* Stort Melharhammer of Mirabar (NE male shield dwarf Ftr4/Rog12), a black-bearded, honey-voiced, well-groomed trader who acts as a moneylender, moneychanger, and go-between for dwarves and visiting shipcaptains, smoothing out negotiations (but often engineering false “shortages” so as to increase gem-prices for the dwarves; he always takes a cut of any increase he engineers). Stort is completely amoral, doesn’t drink, enjoys only watching elf maidens dance and hearing harp music, and lives and breathes to scheme and manipulate and “win the next deal.” When he can’t move in his underground abode for the accumulated coins and gems, he hires some trusted young dwarves (paying them handsomely) to go and buy him some more property in Neverwinter, Waterdeep, and Baldur’s Gate (in each city, he’s now a landlord of more than a dozen buildings, though he’s never seen any of them). If he didn’t spend money to influence politics in Luskan and Ruathym so as to prevent widespread warfare, he’d be even richer than he is (unless, as he judges, said warfare would have hurt trade through Mirabar, and thus cost him more).

* Elmraeda Gondoalyn of Iyrynspire (CN female Mulan human Ari9), the quiet, elegant, shrewd, and aging rich widow (of three wealthy merchants, all of whom she loved and had nothing to do with the deaths of) in Chessenta. Gondoalyn is now gaunt and frail, but protects her person with some powerful items of magic (mainly rings; takes vary as to which ones, which probably means she has a large collection). She dwells in Iyrynspire (a castle in the countryside built for her by her first husband, the shipping merchant Yarlos Melrorn) with a devoted staff and a strong bodyguard of “knights” (a sixty-some-strong private army of full-plate-armored Ftr3-8s), and entertains herself by watching others live their lives through her crystal ball (that can detect thoughts). Elmraeda lavishes money on “her people” (staff and bodyguard; her steward Deln Maerintor is a LN male Mulan human Wiz13 who’s devoted to her) but spends little on herself. Her wealth increases steadily through rents from properties in a dozen cities, and (through several trading costers) ownership of over forty trading caravels. It’s rumored that one of the towers of her home is in truth the only privately-owned Halruaan skyship in Chessenta.

So saith Ed. I’ve chopped him off after giving us all five of the ten richest “coin mountains” this time, and will give you the others tomorrow. Right now, I’m off to bed (coming, Wooly? KnightErrantJR? anyone?)
love to all and for all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  16:00:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Right now, I’m off to bed (coming, Wooly? KnightErrantJR? anyone?)
love to all and for all,
THO
My lady... Are you suggesting I leave the poor Lady K alone so that I may join you in your chambers?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  17:42:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Right now, I’m off to bed (coming, Wooly? KnightErrantJR? anyone?)
love to all and for all,
THO
My lady... Are you suggesting I leave the poor Lady K alone so that I may join you in your chambers?

Too late, Sage, I'm already there!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  18:36:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Goodness, no, Sage, bring the Lady K along! The more the merrier!
Wooly, shame on you! Wanting me all for yourself! I have more charms than one hamster can occupy at once!
love TO ALL,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000