Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  19:00:41  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Wow, thank you so much Ed [and THO] for providing such amazing detail for an NPC!

I really liked the sound of Telthorn at first mention and I like him even more now... I'll have some thoughts as to how I use him and at some later date I'll let you know what kind of impact he has on my campaign.

With one question answered, I thought I might ask Ed another, this one with much potential for humour, if handled in a certain way.

Some fellow gamers and myself were discussing facial hair and the conversation predictably turned to styles in the Realms. Therefore my question for Ed is could he elaborate on the fashions of facial hair, as sported by human men, throughout the "Heartlands" of the Realms?

I'm particularly interested in the differences between the various classes of folk (eg commoner, merchant and noble) and between lands (by the "Heartlands" I'm mostly thinking of Waterdeep, Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales, with the Sword Coast and Western Heartlands to a slightly lesser extent). If that question is too vague and there's too much information to give in one answer, then I'd like to hear about the styles adopted in Cormyr, Sembia and Waterdeep by nobles and rich merchants above all other categories.

I hope Ed finds this question as fun as I do, I'd like to think that he finds answering our Realmslore questions just as much fun as we have asking them.

Many thanks again,

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 17 Feb 2006 19:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Larloch
Acolyte

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  19:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Larloch's Homepage Send Larloch a Private Message
I think that mail is the best option, considering that doing here the interview will be a great off-topic, but as you prefer.

Again, thank you for you attention.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  01:32:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time around, Ed takes a look at this, from Archwizard: “Hey Ed, since this is my first question, I would like to thank you for giving us the Forgotten Realms. It has been and continues to be immensely enjoyable.
I would like to ask if you had any information on the fairly large island north of Icewind Dale shown on the rough map "A Scholar's View of Abeir-Toril" on page 231 of the 3e FRCS. It is the northernmost island off the coast, sort of set in a shallow bay. It is kind of at the same latitude as the entrance to the Great Ice Sea, but on the Sword Coast rather than at the other end of Faerun.
Since it is in the Scholar's View map, it's probably off scale. Some of the sages at Candlekeep say it might be the isle named Umukek in an update for the FR Interactive Atlas. Others disagree and think it is an island or iceberg north of that. I can't confirm either since I don't have the Interactive Atlas. Any information would be appreciated, I was planning on using it for my own campaign, but would like to know what's already there, if there is anything. Thanks in advance.”
Ed makes reply:

Hey, you’re quite welcome. I hope we all continue to find the Realms enjoyable for years to come. Even if I don’t ever get around to writing all the background lore I want to, and that scribes keep asking for.
The island you refer to is Duuthskor, and there’s nothing on it but frozen ice. Or, to put it another way, it’s solid rock, frozen (and thus easily shattered) down forty feet or so, and then thawed by the (comparative) warmth of lava flows that are MUCH deeper in the Underdark. On top of the fissured, scoured-bare rock is sixty feet or so of solid, never-melting (these days) ice.
It’s north of Umukek, but doesn’t appear in the map views of the FR Interactive Atlas for the very good reason that it’s entirely hidden by pack ice, and so seems part of the arctic “mainland.” So despite its size, there’s nothing to interest adventurers - - on its surface, at least; in the Underdark, its fissures are one of the many sources of falling water that eventually join in rivulets and then underground streams (drinking water to Underfolk) and flow to join great underground lakes.
Folk of surface Faerûn today have entirely forgotten about this huge island, and don’t know where “Duuthskor” (a place in the oldest Uthgardt legends, and mentioned in some dwarven chants) is.
In other words, at some point in the past (circa Netheril, at the very latest, and probably much earlier), it wasn’t covered by pack ice, and so was mapped, and preserved in maps now at Candlekeep and various temple libraries (notably those of Oghma and Deneir) . . . which is how it found its way into the Scholar’s map in the FRCS.
All of which means you’re free to make any use of it in your campaign you’d like. Just devise some reason, magical (big spell, or perhaps a crashed Netherese city that someone gets to and “restarts” the climate magics of, which would give you buildings and gardens and so: trees and greenery and prowling monsters and treasure, or at least something other than cold, broken bare rock) or otherwise (volcanic eruption? doesn’t have to be explosive or form an ash cone { = volcano} but can just be a welling-up of magma to the surface, that melts the ice from below, and lays bare the rock beneath), to clear the pack ice away, and (as Volo would say airily) “there you be: smiling!”

So saith Ed. Who is grinding away at his ever-heaping platter of work, and still some chapters of editing away from seeing to you, Kuje, but has NOT forgotten you.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  01:38:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Folk of surface Faerûn today have entirely forgotten about this huge island, and don’t know where “Duuthskor” (a place in the oldest Uthgardt legends, and mentioned in some dwarven chants) is.
In other words, at some point in the past (circa Netheril, at the very latest, and probably much earlier), it wasn’t covered by pack ice, and so was mapped, and preserved in maps now at Candlekeep and various temple libraries (notably those of Oghma and Deneir)...

*rubs hands* Hmm...I just felt a piece of a puzzle I've been working on at the back of my hand find its place

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  01:42:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

and still some chapters of editing away from seeing to you, Kuje, but has NOT forgotten you.

Okies,

No rush. :) I was wondering about this as well but I'm in no hurry.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  02:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
In addition to my old post, which I hope Ed finds the time to answer some time...

quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

I have been recently wondering (upon aquiring Rich Baker's Lords of Madness) a couple of things about aboleths. Are there any specific roles they play in the realms, in history, so on, or do they even exist at all? Is there anything specific (I can't really get specific, I'm grasping for ideas in a campaign here) about any aboleths on Faerun that you could tell me? Cities, major involvement recent or otherwise?
On a semi-related question, is there a particular 'deepest lake' on Faerun, ala Lake Baikal on Earth? The oceans would get very deep, yes, but I'm looking towards inland lakes. Perhaps the Moonsea. Also, which lake, aside from those frozen in Sossal, would be the coldest lake?

...I would like to ask another group of geography-related questions. What major earthquakes are on record? (Magnitude?) Which ones are famous, which ones possibly pending due to an overdue release (think California)? Are there any particular areas of the Realms that are subject to earthquakes, and how often? And as well just a general call for any information on earthquakes in the realms that you'd care to throw out.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  04:38:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Heh, it looks like another person wants to know about earthquakes, tectonic activity, and generally unpleasant stuff!

The info on Duuthskor makes me wonder one thing, though: is there any corner of Faerûn that Ed doesn't have extensive notes on?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  18:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
Presumably Zakhara, Maztica, and Kara-Tur, but I could be wrong.
And yes, the more information on natural disasters the better. We hardly ever hear about these things in Realms canon, and these are major events in any world when they happen - and any world with shifting tectonics (ie: all of them if they are supposed to sustain life) will have earthquakes.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh, it looks like another person wants to know about earthquakes, tectonic activity, and generally unpleasant stuff!

The info on Duuthskor makes me wonder one thing, though: is there any corner of Faerûn that Ed doesn't have extensive notes on?

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  18:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Presumably Zakhara, Maztica, and Kara-Tur, but I could be wrong.

Oh, no: I specified Faerûn, not the bolt-on areas. I'd readily grant that the other areas aren't as much of a playground for him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  19:46:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

In addition to my old post, which I hope Ed finds the time to answer some time...

[quote]Originally posted by Smyther

I have been recently wondering (upon aquiring Rich Baker's Lords of Madness) a couple of things about aboleths.

[quote]

...I would like to ask another group of geography-related questions. What major earthquakes are on record?

Ditto. Snip. Ditto. Snip.

These are matters which seem to be "in the air." I have very similar questions, and in the past several months others have asked various authors, lorekeepers, and rules mavens similar questions on their various scrolls. Will Ed of the Green Wood be so kind as to give us some definitive lore on these matters?

(BTW, is the "Green Wood" a verdant forest or logs which haven't been seasoned yet? -- I don't think anyone's ever asked that! -- In some languages the two meanings would have different translations. But, as Michel de Montaigne always said, .....)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  01:03:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tries to give a useful reply to Nevorick’s query: “Lady Herald, I will take thy advice and ask for small kernels of knowledge from the Sage, Ed. After thy whispers, what can Ed say on the Cormyrian Kings, Belmuth and Arathra?”
Ed speaks:

I’m afraid NDA concerns will render me much more terse than I’d like to be, but here we go:

Belmuth “the Bastard” is considered the 35th Obarskyr monarch in Cormyr’s royal lineage. Born 304 DR, died 334 DR (reigned 328 DR to death). Succeeded the infant king Baerildo, and was succeeded by his son Sargrannon. Belmuth was called “the Bastard” because he was the illegitimate (and eldest) son of Ulbaeram (the 31st Obarskyr monarch).
Belmuth was a reluctant king, commanded to the throne at the height of the Thronestrife and wanting none of its perils for himself or his family. He spent much of his time vainly seeking a way to secretively flee Cormyr and go into hiding. His tormentor and the cause of his death was [NDA].
Belmuth was a tall, burly, quiet man, more interesting in hawking, riding the backlands, and tramping the forests (he liked hunting with the bow, but had little taste for spearing boar or any sort of hunting involving beaters, large groups of men, and chases) than chatter and intrigue and fine wines and luxuries. Awkward in public and at dancing, he would have changed his face and name in an instant if he’d ever found any magical means of so disguising himself and his family, so as to escape a life he wanted no part of.
The Cormyr he ‘ruled’ was a land of unease among the commoners and terror at court, thanks again to [NDA].

Arathra “the Little Spider” is considered the 45th Obarskyr monarch of the royal line. Born 322 DR, died 348 DR (reigned 347 DR to death). Succeeded Jasl “the Royal Jester” (so called thanks to his cruel practical jokes) and was succeeded by Barander. Arathra’s nickname came from her (inherited) small, frail build, and from her venomous disposition (she was softly-smiling cruelty personified, and intrigues and treachery were her fascination, delight, and entertainment). In the years before ascending the throne she took a consort [NDA] and bore him three sons, two of whom, [NDA and NDA], in the fullness of time, wore the crown.

As you can see, skeletal lore indeed. I must warn that I’m not going to say much more about these monarchs, and not give much greater depth if asked about others, either, because although I’d love to share everything freely with all scribes of Candlekeep and Realms fans, I’m NOT going to imperil the chances of getting the lore of Cormyr featured in some sort of official WotC print publication. Nevorick, you must rest assured that the Lineage as it stands now (although we’ll always want to add more detail to it, of course) presents a line of succession that has no holes in logic. Weirdnesses, yes, but everything’s explained if you read the entire document - - and the scribes THO named have done yeoman service in that regard.

So saith Ed. Who may be as curious as I am as to why these two monarchs in particular interest you, Nevorick. If you’re interested in setting a campaign way back during their times, you’ll have to concoct a LOT of information about the wider Realms around Cormyr yourself, and there’s a dark shadow hanging over the Forest Kingdom that Ed’s trying to avoid saying too much about. If you’re planning to have someone or someones around today who’s directly descended from either of these, forget it. That same shadow handily eliminated that possibility, although there are “loose end” Obarskyrs from this century who COULD serve that purpose, especially if the descent was illegitimate and secretive. If you were just curious about the stories of Belmuth and Arathra (because of their nicknames, perhaps), I’m afraid that’s just what Ed has to be so sketchy about. Sigh. Let us parley.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  02:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Ok then could Ed answer a question about the Harpell tower, it's history. the Harpells family in general, there is not much about them and the family. some things from the 2e but would like to find out more about the harpells, and thier influnence on the area.
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  17:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tries to give a useful reply to Nevorick’s query: “Lady Herald, I will take thy advice and ask for small kernels of knowledge from the Sage, Ed. After thy whispers, what can Ed say on the Cormyrian Kings, Belmuth and Arathra?”
Ed speaks:

I’m afraid NDA concerns will render me much more terse than I’d like to be, but here we go:

Belmuth “the Bastard” is considered the 35th Obarskyr monarch in Cormyr’s royal lineage. Born 304 DR, died 334 DR (reigned 328 DR to death). Succeeded the infant king Baerildo, and was succeeded by his son Sargrannon. Belmuth was called “the Bastard” because he was the illegitimate (and eldest) son of Ulbaeram (the 31st Obarskyr monarch).
Belmuth was a reluctant king, commanded to the throne at the height of the Thronestrife and wanting none of its perils for himself or his family. He spent much of his time vainly seeking a way to secretively flee Cormyr and go into hiding. His tormentor and the cause of his death was [NDA].
Belmuth was a tall, burly, quiet man, more interesting in hawking, riding the backlands, and tramping the forests (he liked hunting with the bow, but had little taste for spearing boar or any sort of hunting involving beaters, large groups of men, and chases) than chatter and intrigue and fine wines and luxuries. Awkward in public and at dancing, he would have changed his face and name in an instant if he’d ever found any magical means of so disguising himself and his family, so as to escape a life he wanted no part of.
The Cormyr he ‘ruled’ was a land of unease among the commoners and terror at court, thanks again to [NDA].

Arathra “the Little Spider” is considered the 45th Obarskyr monarch of the royal line. Born 322 DR, died 348 DR (reigned 347 DR to death). Succeeded Jasl “the Royal Jester” (so called thanks to his cruel practical jokes) and was succeeded by Barander. Arathra’s nickname came from her (inherited) small, frail build, and from her venomous disposition (she was softly-smiling cruelty personified, and intrigues and treachery were her fascination, delight, and entertainment). In the years before ascending the throne she took a consort [NDA] and bore him three sons, two of whom, [NDA and NDA], in the fullness of time, wore the crown.

As you can see, skeletal lore indeed. I must warn that I’m not going to say much more about these monarchs, and not give much greater depth if asked about others, either, because although I’d love to share everything freely with all scribes of Candlekeep and Realms fans, I’m NOT going to imperil the chances of getting the lore of Cormyr featured in some sort of official WotC print publication. Nevorick, you must rest assured that the Lineage as it stands now (although we’ll always want to add more detail to it, of course) presents a line of succession that has no holes in logic. Weirdnesses, yes, but everything’s explained if you read the entire document - - and the scribes THO named have done yeoman service in that regard.

So saith Ed. Who may be as curious as I am as to why these two monarchs in particular interest you, Nevorick. If you’re interested in setting a campaign way back during their times, you’ll have to concoct a LOT of information about the wider Realms around Cormyr yourself, and there’s a dark shadow hanging over the Forest Kingdom that Ed’s trying to avoid saying too much about. If you’re planning to have someone or someones around today who’s directly descended from either of these, forget it. That same shadow handily eliminated that possibility, although there are “loose end” Obarskyrs from this century who COULD serve that purpose, especially if the descent was illegitimate and secretive. If you were just curious about the stories of Belmuth and Arathra (because of their nicknames, perhaps), I’m afraid that’s just what Ed has to be so sketchy about. Sigh. Let us parley.
love,
THO

My thanks Lady of the Hood and the Sage o' Canada,

Those little morsels were quite tasty. I greatly appreciate your information regarding the Obarskyr line. As a history buff and a genealogist, I can imagine that the royal line is full of intriguing personalities and Cormyrian history, that I wished to incorporate in to my campaign. I indeed chose Arathra and Belmuth for their interesting nicknames, and will likely use some royal history as a background to flavor my upcoming games. The reigns of Belmuth and Aratha will help pin some "cormyrian dates" down for me.

I will trouble you no more regarding the Cormyrian Line, I too wish to have this information included for all to use some day in the hazy future to come.

Your humble servant,
Nevorick Julahasa

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."

Edited by - Nevorick on 19 Feb 2006 19:09:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  03:20:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Glad to be of help, Nevorick. This time, Ed (who happened to have this topic in mind for WotC Realmslore reasons) starts to tackle Kuje’s query: “I've always wondered about Shyrrhr. What does she look like? What does she like to wear both as formal dress, which I'm assuming she has one? Her casual dress? and.... evening wear, shall we say. What is her history? What does she like to do for entertainment/fun? Again, besides the obvious. :) Why does she have the title she has? What does that title entail, besides the obvious? What does her home look like in Castle Ward? And of course, anything else Ed might want to add about her.”
Ed speaks:

Shyrrhr was born Larelda Shyrrhr Mallowdar, to a family of cloak- and gown-makers in Deepingdale (her mother’s name was Larelda, so Shyrrhr never used her first name; “Shyrrhr” is what her family called an elf lady, Telshyrrhr, who married into the family centuries earlier, and the Shyrrhr of today, namesake of this long-dead kindly elf, uses only her second name; few Waterdhavians know she has any other names at all).
Shyrrhr is tall, and would be striking and commanding if she wasn’t so quiet and self-effacing (good at remaining still and silent, and blending into the background). She’s very good at judging people, reading body language, and being sensitive to the likes, dislikes, moods, and changing emotions and thoughts of everyone she meets, and from early childhood has controlled her own face, speech, and behaviour (being a consummate actress, if you will) accordingly.
She genuinely likes to make people - - even strangers, and folk who repel her or whom she finds odd - - happy, and set them at her ease, and has a knack for doing so. Through practice she’s become very good at smoothing over awkwardnesses, and making individuals contented who are feeling awkward, lonely, or socially uncertain. She’s even good at getting foes to talk together, on matters of safe common ground, so as to see each other as people and not just as enemies. As she once told Mirt (who was concerned after a visiting envoy bound and beat her during sex, and he saw her bruises before priests set about banishing them), “This is what I do, and what the gods made me to do.”
She so served (setting at ease and nursing when injured, not becoming his lover) Piergeiron several times during his youthful adventuring travels, and much later came to Waterdeep at his request, to become the city’s “Lady of Court” and fulfill her hostess role. Piergeiron saw the great usefulness of someone like Shyrrhr in advancing Waterdeep’s interests and defusing difficulties with its trade rivals and foes, by setting envoys at ease and giving many folk fond thoughts and memories of Shyrrhr’s hospitality (hence the title, residence, and financial support the Palace gives Shyrrhr).
Her tolerance for strong drink began in childhood, too; her uncle made the best hard cider in Deepingdale, a very strong quaff that she sampled nightly, building up an ability to control herself thanks to exposure and to practice in the alertly aware self-control she’d always had. She hates being grimy, and likes making and mending clothes; she’s always designed and made gowns, shawls, and stomachers for herself and for sale, but grew bored doing only this in Deepingdale, hungering for the excitement and bustle of fabled Suzail or Selgaunt or Waterdeep - - so when Piergeiron sent her a message by herald, and then visited, she eagerly agreed to relocate to the City of Splendors.

So saith Ed. Part two of his three-part Shyrrhr reply (yes, it’s going to be that long, but then he wouldn’t be the ladling-rich-Realmslore Ed we love if he wasn’t verbose) tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
CSI: Waterdeep

A putting together a campaign set in Waterdeep and a bunch of Crime related questions for Ed

What methods and how much time would the Waterdeep watch spend trying to solve a crime ie Murder/rape/theft etc

As a rule are the watch willing to commit resources depending on the social status of the victim ie a commoner vs merchant vs a guildmaster vs a Noble vs a Lord of Waterdeep etc?

The D&D has a number of spells that could help solve a case (assume there wasnt a conventional witness to the crime) such as Locate Object, Speak with Dead, Speak with Animals, Speak with plants, Stone tell etc do the Watch regularly use these spells to solve a case?

If someone wanted for a crime escapes Waterdeep before they can be punished do the Watch try and track them down and bring them back? (I note that Duke Inselm Hhune and Lucia Thione have not been punished for the Torture and the attempted murder of 2 Lords of Waterdeep)If so do the Waterdeep watch employ bounty hunters to bring back wanted felons?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:15:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes of Candlekeep. (Great questions, Dargoth, and I know from campaign experience that Ed already has the answers at his fingertips for most of them.) Herewith, Parte Ye Seconde of Ed’s Shyrrhr reply to Kuje:

The Palace purse installed Shyrrhr in her home (a narrow house dominated by a formal dining room opening off its entrance, with a spiral stair leading up and kitchens behind; a lounge floored in a saea of fur rugs with low couches, tables, subtle magical lighting Shyrrhr can alter at will, on the floor above, and two palatial bedchambers (for Shyrrhr and a guest, though in truth she more often sleeps with guests than alone), with soaring ceilings, on the top floor, all of these rooms having large fireplaces opening into a central chimney core (which has a food-delivery dumbwaiter opening on all floors built into it) at their backs, and beautiful paintings and statuettes (flowing elf-work and forest scenes, mainly). Her pantry is the rear half of her cellar (which has a hidden bedroom behind panelling, for hiding guests who need to temporarily disappear, and a lounge and privy used by her bodyguards), and the rear of the house has a second set of stairs rising from the cellar through the kitchen (just inside the back door, which is as strong as a castle door), to a bath-chamber and garderobe on the lounge floor, another bath-chamber and garderobe on the top floor, and the attic (which has another hidden bedchamber, this one low-ceilinged and spartan).
Outside the house is, in back: a very tiny walled back garden, full of herbs and vegetables that grow up frames affixed to the inside of the two-men-high wooden garden wall. In front are iron railings enclosing a tiny yard with a fountain - - a sea elf soaring up out of water, who endlessly sheds water from her outstretched arms - - set in a pool, and a flagstone path bending around the pool to link the front gate with the front door. The Palace owns this house (and provides cleaning staff; a personal maid who mainly washes (and helps bind) Shyrrhr’s hair and lays out and cleans her clothes, as Shyrrhr always dresses herself; a slender, handsome, well-spoken young page, Asdagh [a LN male Tethyrian human Rog4/Harper Scout 1] who runs errands and messages to Piergeiron and various city officials (and is scrupulously honest with Shyrrhr, whom he loves, so she knows he’s a Harper); four bodyguards, who are veterans of the Guard augmented by a Watchful Order magist; and a superb kitchen staff of three cooks and two servers) but it’s Shyrrhr’s home until she dies (for the last time; the agreement provides for her resurrection, if she ever dies “serving the city”). The Palace purse covers all of her needs (food, drink, flowers or clothes or anything she needs to entertain, give gifts, create good impressions, and so on), but pays her no salary - - and as she never abuses this privilege, and is a good friend to Palace officials high and low, they leap to provide her with coins, never questioning or delaying any demand, no matter what the time of night or how strange the request may be.
It’s rare for Shyrrhr not to be entertaining of an evening (her bodyguard will be out of sight in the cellar, “at the ready,” whenever she has guests in the house), because even when she’s not serving as a hostess of some guest, she’s serving as a comforter, willing listener, and ‘mother confessor’ to Piergeiron, Mirt, or any Palace official, Lord, or personage of the city who has need of her (this does NOT mean she goes to bed with an endless procession of Waterdhavians, every day and night; it does mean she drinks a lot of spirits and tea with a lot of people, while listening to them and speaking with them, revealing by her questions and comments that she, yes, genuinely cares).
Many wonder how she keeps from depression or even suicide, given all the troubles folk share with her almost daily, but Shyrrhr is a merry soul, and whenever she feels the need ascends to her attic in private, spreadeagles herself on a rough stone slab set into the floor there, and prays to all the gods, pouring out her emotions until she falls asleep, exhausted, or feels at peace.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more about Shyrrhr on the morrow. Torm of the Knights, by the way, once slipped into Shyrrhr’s house through the oval window at the front of the attic (by using magical means to slice it right out of its frame), and was hiding in the attic when she came in, tore off her nightgown, and flung herself down on the slab, writhing, sobbing and calling out to the gods. He was so moved that he came out of hiding to comfort her - - and she DIDN’T scream, but rolled over calmly in his embrace to ask him his name, bid him welcome, offer him tea, and otherwise (astonishingly) turned right into the full hostess act, with her face still covered with tears and her mouth trembling. She even blocked an attack by one of her bodyguards, who came pounding up the back stair to her aid. Torm stole her nightgown without meaning to (he was carrying it and ended up with it still in his hand after a battle erupted not involving him), but later returned it, using that errand as an excuse to slip in and visit her again.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

Torm of the Knights, by the way, once slipped into Shyrrhr’s house through the oval window at the front of the attic (by using magical means to slice it right out of its frame), and was hiding in the attic when she came in, tore off her nightgown, and flung herself down on the slab, writhing, sobbing and calling out to the gods. He was so moved that he came out of hiding to comfort her - - and she DIDN’T scream, but rolled over calmly in his embrace to ask him his name, bid him welcome, offer him tea, and otherwise (astonishingly) turned right into the full hostess act, with her face still covered with tears and her mouth trembling. She even blocked an attack by one of her bodyguards, who came pounding up the back stair to her aid. Torm stole her nightgown without meaning to (he was carrying it and ended up with it still in his hand after a battle erupted not involving him), but later returned it, using that errand as an excuse to slip in and visit her again.
love to all,
THO

This made me think of something. What is the tightest spot Torm has ever been in? He seems to have a talent for nearly getting himself killed.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  20:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
If ed would be so kind as to try to answer this questions.
The Red Knights of Corymer, I don't remember seeing much about their history or who started the organazation.
I read the dragon issue on them and abilities.
was you involved in the red knight making? if so what other information can be found on the Red Knights.
what is their war collage set up like and is it any thing like the war wizards collage set up from this site.
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
A general question about the Silver Marches geography.

How wide is the Surbrin River downstream of Silverymoon? Is it narrow enough that a giant on one of the banks could throw a boulder and hit a barge anywhere in the river?
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
How wide is the Surbrin River between Silverymoon and Yartar, in general? Is it narrow enough that a giant on one bank could hit a barge anywhere in the river with a boulder?
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:50:56  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Good Sir Ed,

I've got a player wanting to play an illegitimate son of Ghellin, King-in-Exile. We are desperately searching for information on Tethymar, and they have not been fruitful.

I was wondering, did the dwarves of Tethymar have any social customs that varied from the dwarven norm, or at least something that would cause a Tethymaran dwarf to be distinctive from others? I would tend to think so, as in one scant reference they were mentioned as trading partners with the Elven Court.

With Thanks

-Walker

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  01:30:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again. Ed concludes his Shyrrhr reply to Kuje:

Interestingly, Shyrrhr has recently discovered she enjoys wrestling. Hard, bruising wrestling, though she doesn’t like eye-gouging or weapons or being wounded by hard clothing or sheathed weapons (so such are usually removed before the mayhem starts). She often battles her bodyguard with fierce abandon, and then gets healing from a priest “called in” by the Palace; this pursuit is almost certainly another way for her to “let off steam” from the weight of all the confessions and troubles shared with her. (When she makes love, it’s often to comfort someone, so - - when she can, as with certain visiting adventurers she’s come to trust - - she enjoys ‘cutting loose’ and dominating in bed, too.)
Shyrrhr uses cosmetics and scents only lightly and subtly, so her skin is usually “her own” hue: very pale tawny. She stands over six feet tall (taller in heels, of course, and she wears many shoes and boots with spike heels), has a slender, sleek build (small breasts and hips), green eyes, and glossy bronze-hued hair that falls to the backs of her knees when unbound (it’s washed at least every second day, her bath having a large sloping marble shelf for that purpose: she can lie in the water while her hair, spread out in a great fan on the marble, is cleaned).
Shyrrhr has a kind, pretty face, with small but tufted eyebrows of the same bronze hue as her hair. Her green eyes can dance with merriment, but are usually grave and gentle, as is her speech and expression. She gives hugs and kisses without hesitation (and wears magical rings and anklets provided by the Watchful Order that protect her against many poisons).
At night, she prefers diaphanous, flowing, translucent ankle-length silk gowns over her bare body (she goes barefoot, and sleeps nude under her bedcovers), and by day is almost always “dressed up” (because the need to entertain can arise at any time). “Dressed up” doesn’t necessarily mean stunningly glamorous or formal; Shyrrhr’s style is quiet good taste, welcoming rather than forbidding, and “classic” in style rather than bold or cutting-edge fashion. On the rare occasions (usually just if she’s ill or nursing someone) that she can be said to be clad in “casual wear,” around the house, she’ll be barefoot, with warm gowns that unbutton from ankle to throat, with a simple chemise or slip worn underneath.
Her formal wear consists of the aforementioned elegant shoes or boots, all manner of classy underwear, sometimes a flower pinned in her hair, a few pieces of simple (never gaudy or gemstone-heavy) jewelry, and gowns - - almost always ankle-length (though they may be quite daring; Shyrrhr doesn’t mind showing the world her skin), always fashionable and flatteringly cut (clinging closely to her flat stomach and slender waist, and with sleeves long enough to reach the wrists of her long arms), and of almost any sort of beautiful fabric and trim. She has some striking gowns (which she wears when escorting a guest who wants to impress others by making a splash with a trophy lass on his arm), but when left to her own preferences, prefers quiet elegance to any bold and gaudy show. She’ll give clothing to anyone who needs it, or even guests who fancy a memento of their time with her, but otherwise keeps everything, and so has several “hidden halls” of hanging gowns (situated between the bedchambers, and entered through doors concealed as part of the paneled walls of the passages that link the rooms, along that central chimneys).
For entertainment, when alone, Shyrrhr reads (trashy spicy romances, true mystery tales of the Realms, and heroic tales; she also likes looking at maps and floorplans, new and old), sings (badly), and paints (VERY badly; she knows this, giggles at it, and gleefully burns her paintings, often before they’re anywhere near finished). When with someone, her entertainment will be whatever they want to do, from reading together to going shopping, to long walks on Mount Waterdeep, to going to festhalls...whatever.
She spends a lot of time with Piergeiron - - as a friend, remember, someone he can talk freely with, debate upcoming decisions and policies with, ask advice of, and joke with - - and he likes to sip tea quietly with her, in private (away, for a little while, from envoys and nobles and everyone else who can burst in with a problem), or go walking up the flanks of Mount Waterdeep with her, even during storms.
There are rumors of a secret passage linking her house to the Palace, but these are mistaken. There are two separate passages connecting the cellar to the cellars of other house (also owned by the Palace, and used as residences for Palace staff and officials), so as to faciliate covert departures and arrivals from Shyrrhr’s house, but these routes are as a rule kept secret from non-Waterdhavian guests, and even few Palace staff know about them, let alone most citizens of Waterdeep.
The Lady of the Court is quiet and graceful in her movements, hasn’t a trace of arrogance, treats everyone from street urchins to heads of noble houses as an equal, is a patient, kind, and understanding listener, and “always knows just the right thing to say” to calm and quell and show warmth and lift spirits. Her voice is pleasant, low-pitched, and sometimes husky, her laugh is a soft chuckle, and she likes to play with children but rarely does so (she can also play with adults and elderly folk as innocently as if they were children once again). It seems impossible to embarrass her, and nudity or the crude language or behaviour of others doesn’t bother her. She’s also not ambitious, and doesn’t aspire to “higher things;” she’s doing exactly what she loves to do.
In short, Shyrrhr is a fascinating woman, and one I’d very much like to know as a friend in real life.

So saith Ed. I think you’ll agree, Kuje, that she’s a lot more than “the obvious” you referred to. Ed can, of course, bring darn near every NPC of the Realms to life like this, if he ever had the time. I join with Ed in this addendum, from his e-mail to me:

I both hope this has been of help, and that both Realms writers and DMs using Waterdeep will use Shyrrhr more, now. She’s not a paragon, mind: she’s not brave, she’s too fastidious for most work, a lot of people (like most drunken sailors and similar “unthinking louts,” and the majority of “far too nasty for their own or anyone else’s good” nobles) bore her (though she’s skilled at not showing it), and she’s lazy when not comforting or doing things for others. There are also personalities that irritate her, like Kitten of the Lords (again, she’ll call into play all of her acting skills to conceal her true feelings, and work with Kitten and even to comfort Kitten as ably as she does anyone - - but left to her own devices, she’ll never seek out Kitten to spend time with her).

So saith Ed again.
More Realmslore next time, all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  01:36:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks, Ed and THO as usual. And yes, that was more then I expected and it expanded on the "besides the obvious." :)

Grin, now I need to pick another NPC to ask about.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Feb 2006 01:37:15
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  01:56:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Groan.

(Just kidding, Kuje. Bring 'em on.)
much love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  04:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

My thanks, Ed and THO as usual. And yes, that was more then I expected and it expanded on the "besides the obvious." :)

No way you cant have Ed all to yourself!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  05:14:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

No way you cant have Ed all to yourself!

Oh, no fair! :) But..... Oh, all right.

However, there are still many outstanding 2004 and 2005 replies from various posters.... Hint, hint, Ed. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up.
Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law).
All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think).
And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  16:34:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Aye,

I know. I was just being a PIA since a few people have been asking, "Hey, what happened to my question? Ed never answered me yet." And I got tired of going, "You gotta have patience, he'll get to it."

That's also why I'm trying to choose NPC's that might not be under NDA and there's gotta be a few more I can found out of the 8,000+ that have appeared in lore. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Feb 2006 16:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  20:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
quote:

Aye,

I know. I was just being a PIA since a few people have been asking, "Hey, what happened to my question? Ed never answered me yet." And I got tired of going, "You gotta have patience, he'll get to it."

That's also why I'm trying to choose NPC's that might not be under NDA and there's gotta be a few more I can found out of the 8,000+ that have appeared in lore. :)

Mayhaps you should just copy what THO wrote (and btw, thanks THO for all the lore you pass along), and paste it everytime someone bothers about not getting an answer yet.

*runs off*
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  20:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey, don't run. I, personally, think it's a great idea. Whack people over the head with a large enough stick enough times and they'll hopefully get the idea. Eventually.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000