Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerunian Breeds of Dogs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  03:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there was any lore out there describing different breeds of Dogs in the realms? I have a ranger NPC coming in soon with a Riding Dog animal companion and I like to provide as much detail as possible.

I once had the PC's run into a group of hunters with a "Cormyrian Wolfhound", which in my mind was essentially an Irish Wolfhound. That however was not based on any canon lore, I simply made it up. In the future I would like to base it a little more on canon.

If lore on this does not exist, does anybody have any homemade breeds I can use?

As always, thanks in advance.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  03:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun offers up two on pages 174-175: The cave dog and the Moonshae moorhound.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  03:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot. Don't really know why I never thought to look there.

Any more...anybody?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  04:47:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dog for Chult and a template that can be used on dogs.
3.0E rules though.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20011025a

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  05:23:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Terriers -- from Port of Ravens Bluff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  05:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully we get a "Champions of Nature" realms sourcebook following the format of Champions of Ruin/Valor. This book would be able to do for neutral characters what the previous books did for evil and good respectively... and they could detail breeds of dogs similar to the Equin breeds in CoV.

However, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 27 Dec 2005 05:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  07:00:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:)

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/dogs.htm

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  11:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Kuje. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  12:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irish wolfhounds are too lanky, I'd go with some sort of mastiff. The Neopolitan is probably the coolest looking out of them all. You could probably take the shadow mastiff cut its hit dice down and remove darkvision and shadow blend. Dalelands sounds like a good place for it to be from.

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 27 Dec 2005 12:48:13
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  18:28:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Moonshae trilogy, the main character raises hunting dogs and One who follows him on his adventures. its not a source book with rules to spec them out, but gives a good idea of the breed. If I remember right the breed is wolfhound
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  04:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Is that information from canon sources?

From "The Great Glacier," there is information on Kupuk (walrus dogs) on pg. 54, and three varieties of sled dogs (heteff, okteff, mukteff) on pg. 55.

Is there anymore canon (or non-canon) information on dogs that anyone has found?

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  06:58:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it's canon or not.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  09:32:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why am I all of a sudden tempted to start writing about dogs and cats when I am finished with the birds of Faerun? Hopefully I will forget this before that time comes.

The dog article in the Library is great, but I don't believe it is cannon. That does not matter much though, does it? Come to think of it I will keep the dachshund and remove the German shepherd from my realms.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  09:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawfire

quote:

Well met

I don't believe this is canon. This is quite an old article which appeared at Candlekeep in the early days and i'm not sure if the author is still contactable.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  12:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the speedy replies.

Jorkens, it's your birds information that got me thinking! Nice work on that.

Faerun Roleplaying
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  16:56:07  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is canon or not but I've found it useful from time to time.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3yzmwinzviy

I can't remember where I downloaded it from so I had to upload it to MediaFire. I didn't know any better place to upload it so I hope that is okay. I hope you find it useful.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  17:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very helpful, thanks!

Faerun Roleplaying
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  18:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Why am I all of a sudden tempted to start writing about dogs and cats when I am finished with the birds of Faerun? Hopefully I will forget this before that time comes.

The dog article in the Library is great, but I don't believe it is cannon. That does not matter much though, does it? Come to think of it I will keep the dachshund and remove the German shepherd from my realms.

Jorkens, I'd totally love you if you did that. The bird articles you write are very good.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 16 Feb 2007 18:23:46
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:50:53  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this article has done the job as good (if not better)as I would have been able to. If I all of a sudden get a great idea I will write it, but I think I should try something different than dogs. Cats or flowers maybe. Famous potters or types of cattle? We will see.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  08:43:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawfire

quote:

I believe Alaundo is correct. I don't immediately recall any of these dogs being referenced in the Realmslore. I'll admit, it's been quite a while since I've looked up such references, but they're not immediately ringing any bells.

quote:
Is there anymore canon (or non-canon) information on dogs that anyone has found?
A few references were noted earlier... Namely, Races of Faerun has a few details about cave dogs and the Moonshae moorhounds on pgs. 174-175.

See also, this URL:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20011025a

Ed's also talked a little about dogs in his replies here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Feb 2007 08:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  12:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, great link. I'll have to search Ed's replies also. Thanks again to all.

Faerun Roleplaying
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  18:10:10  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re dogs or Daggs (sorry just watched Snatch)

Darkwalker on Moonshae had a reference to a Calimshan Racer simular to a Greyhound / Wippet aswell as the moonshae wolfhound as I recall.

Apart from that I'm out of canon not suggested by others,

But you always get a type of mongrel where dogs are concerned so for the sake of one more, throw in the heinz 57 dog (a bit of this a bit of that)

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

messiah omega
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  02:30:00  Show Profile  Visit messiah omega's Homepage Send messiah omega a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would suggest just making stuff up, i mean there must be hundreds of different dog breeds, an i cant see all of them being covered in novels ect. i would just get a list of dog breeds (with pictures) and rename them with FR sounding names, based on where they look like they would come from. Like a Chulten Rathound (chuiwawa) or the Thayen Whiptailed Blood terrier (Pitbull terrier), i personally own a Shaaran Blackmuzzeld Mastiff X Dalelands Moorstalker (bullmastiff X weiamaraner).

cool.

messiah omega
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  02:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, that would be the easiest. Most of our modern breeds weren't around until the late 1800's or early 1900's though. Basically, I am thinking about putting something together, and I wanted to know all the breeds that were canon first to get a good idea of what's already there.

Faerun Roleplaying
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  18:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if anything like the Molussus mastiffs and livestock guardian dogs are kept in Damaran lands, the Vast, around the Moonsea and elsewhere adjacent to the Galena Mountains.

Shepherds in high foothills and alpine valleys need bigger and fiercer sheepdogs than elsewhere, not to mention the threat of orcs and ogres.

In my campaign, I have the grey orcs of Vastar keep and breed Orcish boarhounds, which are bigger than most things we'd call dogs, (based on the Epicyon haydeni, ca 200-250 lbs. mastiffs).

I'm sure their human neighbours have trained formidable guard dogs to defend their livestock from orcish predations, but I'm unsure what Earth breeds to use as the basis for the looks of such dogs.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  21:24:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

I wonder if anything like the Molussus mastiffs and livestock guardian dogs are kept in Damaran lands, the Vast, around the Moonsea and elsewhere adjacent to the Galena Mountains.

Shepherds in high foothills and alpine valleys need bigger and fiercer sheepdogs than elsewhere, not to mention the threat of orcs and ogres.

In my campaign, I have the grey orcs of Vastar keep and breed Orcish boarhounds, which are bigger than most things we'd call dogs, (based on the Epicyon haydeni, ca 200-250 lbs. mastiffs).

I'm sure their human neighbours have trained formidable guard dogs to defend their livestock from orcish predations, but I'm unsure what Earth breeds to use as the basis for the looks of such dogs.

Only mentioning this because the area you mention TENDS to be snowy since its near the Great Glacier

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kupuk

I could see some of these dogs transported off the glacier and living in like Vaasa, Damara, etc....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Only mentioning this because the area you mention TENDS to be snowy since its near the Great Glacier

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kupuk

I could see some of these dogs transported off the glacier and living in like Vaasa, Damara, etc....

Quite interesting, thank you.

Of course, these creatures cannot be bred to mammals like dogs, being some kind of egg-laying aliens or reptilians.

The frost giants I'm putting in the Ice Gorge, off the Glacier of the White Worm, could theoretically have brought some with them, but I've already established that they have Winter Wolves in their homes above the snowline and for their alpine hunts.

I was looking for livestock guardian dogs for their cyclopskin* shepherds in the southern valleys, below the snowline. I strongly suspect that Kupuks would be out of place in that role, not to mention way too warm in a climate similar to Austria in the summer.

*Well, or mastiffs for their ogre adn verbeeg overseers.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000