Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Christmas deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  19:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For a while now I've been wondering about where do the dead children go after they die, because they haven't been alive long enough to actually find a suitable god.

I know that some might think that they go to the god of their parents or that Lathlander takes them because they are children (Helm also has a soft spot for children), but children don't really worship or pray to them.

Two nights ago I came up with an anwser to the problem. There is someone that kids (atleast some kids in our world) belive in. It's not ready yet so if you have any suggestions for the spots I haven't filled yet please help.

santa claus
Father Christmas
Demigod
Symbol: Sleigh with reideers
Home Plane: ?
Alignment: Lawful good
Portfolio: Christmas, happines, good deeds, children
Worshippers: Children, people with a imagination of a child
Cleric alignments: LG, NG, CG, LN
Domains: ?
Favored weapon: Deers Antler (What kind of weapon?)

Santa is the deity of Christmas spirit. He lives with celestial gnome like in his small part of plane. They work on gifts for children through the year and when it's x-mas eve he sends the gifts to all of the children who have been nice durning the previous year. He can see every naughty and nice deed made by a child, and decides who gets the present.

History
???

Dogma
Obey your parents. Be nice to all beings. The clerics should pray every night before bedtime. Other worshippers should pray atleast before christmas by writing a letter to santa, which states how nice they have been and what gifts they would like to have (other ways of praying are also available depending on the region you live in).

happy holidays everybody!!!

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  19:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christmas doesn't exist in the Realms. No Earthism, please -- this isn't Narnia. (Although... I saw D&D stats for Santa Claus somewhere.)

Also, I recall seeing in one novel or another that some children (in Cormyr?) pray to Tymora for good luck.

Edited by - Winterfox on 22 Dec 2005 19:49:09
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  20:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lighten up, I thought it was a rather jolly idea if not totally serious :)
Very fun to think things like this at christmas time
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  20:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This doesn't have to be for a realms based campaign. Just a fun little twist for people who roleplay durning the holiday season.

By the way, are any similar holidays in the realms?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  20:51:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm , home plane clearly is the North Pole, subsitute for that Plane of Ice (the demi-plane between water and air).

Domains should include IMO Good, Winter, Joy (if that exists), Children.

I would change weapon to a Jolly laugh (or something else) as oposed to actual weapon.

Not all that thrilled by the idea of a real world deity like this being imported into te realms, however others have been so can not complain too much.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 Dec 2005 23:47:34
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  21:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I would change weapon to a Jolly laugh (or something else) as oposed to actual weapon.

What about a big peppermint candy stick.

Just think about it. An army of child paladins bashing evil/naughty beings with big candy stick that the paladin can eat to become hyperactive and get some bonus scores to his/her stats .

Edited by - Talanfir Swiftfeet on 22 Dec 2005 21:08:36
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  22:30:31  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Amusing idea Tal!
Great way to bring the holidays to our discussion. There are stats for Santa Claus in Faeries, a game book by Byron Winstadt (think I got that right. It is by a company called Bastion Press. He is listed as the Holly King but his other names are listed as well. Check it out. Thanks for the fun post.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  23:31:31  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, St. Nicolas just screams to be a Rogue 20 with the Saint Template from BoED.
I wonder how much flying reindeer go for .... or maybe it is a magical sleigh of holding and flying?

(apologies)
Aelf,
friendly neighborhood bard

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  23:52:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Santa was statted out on the WotC site a couple years ago. I'm not on my home machine, so I don't have the article -- or a link to it -- handy.

A previous discussion on dead children happened quite some time ago; it may have even been on those other boards from which I am now banned. I believe Rich Baker said that children would go to the same place as their parents.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  00:11:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x it appears to be incomplete (dead or not working links) site, but is something.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 23 Dec 2005 00:12:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  00:17:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A d20 Modern interpretation of Father Christmas:- http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=551666

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  02:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x it appears to be incomplete (dead or not working links) site, but is something.

What links weren't working? They all worked for me...

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:12:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
L. Frank Baum, the man famous for the Wizard of Oz, wrote a really, er, unique book on Santa Claus called The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, which was at one time made into an animated special. Definately leans toward the magical/fey kind of feeling for Santa Claus.

Personally I like Saint Nicholas myself, and Aelf pointed out, a few rogue levels and the Saint Template would seem appropriate, though I don't know that I would be comfortable statting out a Saint venerated in the Real World.

And if you are going to make Santa into a deity, it would be more like a Holliday Deity or Yuletide Deity, since Christmas is derived from Christ's Mass, which kind of presupposes what Deity is involved.

But back to the realm of fantasy, there is a legend in DragonLance about a White Robe wizard that brings toys to good little boys and girls during the Yule celebration, so who knows, there may be a winter festival legendary figure for the Realms as well, though such would seem to be more analogous to the Real World then Ed usually made things.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:20:23  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, is Santa LG or NG? I don't think he follows all the laws... maybe he's chaotic?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:28:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
L. Frank Baum's fey Santa? Chaotic good.

Coca-Cola Santa with the work shop and the elfs (not elves) and the wife and Reindeer? Lawful good.

Saint Nicholas, who subverted the local rulers on several occaisions on behalf of children? Neutral good.

Just my take. All depends on what "flavor" Santa you take after.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  04:54:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

What links weren't working? They all worked for me...

Something labled a PDF, does not work for me, nor can I copy the text because of image mapping and non W3C complient (unless they have totaly abandoned backward compatibility).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  05:35:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something labled a PDF, does not work for me, nor can I copy the text because of image mapping and non W3C complient (unless they have totaly abandoned backward compatibility).

Again, it all worked for me... If you want one of those pdfs but can't get to them, PM me with your addy and the file you want, and I'll email them to you.

Is your Adobe up to date? Though it would seem to be a stretch for that to be the issue, I've seen it happen before... The current reader is 7.0.5.

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  07:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

But, is Santa LG or NG? I don't think he follows all the laws... maybe he's chaotic?

C-Fb

I put my santa as LG, because he teaches to obey your parents (well atleast the parents teach that).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  07:39:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

I put my santa as LG, because he teaches to obey your parents (well atleast the parents teach that).

Yeah, but lawful people don't land on your roof and sneak down your chimney while you're asleep. Even though he's leaving gifts and taking naught but milk and cookies that were left out for him, he's still illegally entering your house.

However, I did read an article today saying that Santa had reached an agreement with the US, so that he could enter US airspace without having to fill out the requisite forms.

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  08:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but lawful people don't land on your roof and sneak down your chimney while you're asleep. Even though he's leaving gifts and taking naught but milk and cookies that were left out for him, he's still illegally entering your house.

I forgot to put in the dogma section the rule of sacrificcial milk and cookies.

And atleast in my country he doesn't sneak in while you sleep. In here he comes durning the x-mas eve and rings the doorbell. He then stays and celebrates with us (singing and maybe a few drinks of eggnog/other alcoholic drinks for the dressed up neighbour is involved ). After that he gives the gifts. There are professional santas here (It's one of the only tax free jobs here). A good Santa can get hundreds of euros (and a lot of drinks) durning the eve by going to many homes.

It's very funny and surreal if you are out early in the x-mas day, to see the police station release tens of hangoverd santas from the nights lockup all at once .

By the way. Gues what the Knights of Christmas night (get it) use as mounts .

Edited by - Talanfir Swiftfeet on 23 Dec 2005 08:35:12
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  09:45:19  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

But back to the realm of fantasy, there is a legend in DragonLance about a White Robe wizard that brings toys to good little boys and girls during the Yule celebration, so who knows, there may be a winter festival legendary figure for the Realms as well, though such would seem to be more analogous to the Real World then Ed usually made things.

One of the Waukeentide holidays of Waterdeep is Caravance,
"a gift-giving holiday commemorating the traditional arrival of the first caravans of the season into the city, and many parents still hide gifts in their homes, telling their children that Old Carvas left them (Old Carvas is the mythical old peddler who arrived with the first caravan into Waterdeep, his wagon loaded down with toys for all the children in Waterdeep."

Not a wintertime holiday, but it does bear strong resemblance to Saint Nick and his sled o' goodies....

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  11:19:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

Originally posted by AJA

One of the Waukeentide holidays of Waterdeep is Caravance,
"a gift-giving holiday commemorating the traditional arrival of the first caravans of the season into the city, and many parents still hide gifts in their homes, telling their children that Old Carvas left them (Old Carvas is the mythical old peddler who arrived with the first caravan into Waterdeep, his wagon loaded down with toys for all the children in Waterdeep."

Not a wintertime holiday, but it does bear strong resemblance to Saint Nick and his sled o' goodies....

I appears no one is immune to Santifying their world. Maybe it has something to do with Micheal Moorcock . . . an eternal giftgiver?

Of corse, there should be an evil Santa somewhere then . . . wait, the Grinch . . . ever notice there ins't a "real" Santa around the night that he steals all the toys?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  12:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one thing I didn't like when reading Dragonlance Legends...the mention of "Yuletide". It's just not fitting in a fantasy setting. I whinced at reading this as much as I hated it in Narnia.

Thank the gods that it doesn't exist in the Realms!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  14:21:42  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is anything wrong with a Xmas type holiday in FR - now, I don't think it's Xmas, just like maybe a blessing for Chauntea? Birth of Mystra (the 3rd incarnation - new holiday)?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  15:27:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad to see you folk have finally figured out my secret. Sure, I'm a Thayan who runs around wearing Red.... I forgot to mention that it was winter wolf lined red robes. Yes, I'm pudgier than my former student Sleyvas, and a little more inclined to laugh. I even disagree with the politics of my homeland, for I find slavery abhorred, and slavery of children worse of all. Thus, I've started a movement based on an ancient Raumathic tradition. With my team of Rashemi-bred Warstags and my sleigh reins of flying, I've been delivering toys and candy to the poor slave children in the slave farms surrounding Surthay. So far, the Thayans have not gotten overly upset at my antics.... hopefully they don't discover that I've also been setting up portals to free lands and certain toys work as the gatekeys.

Flarik Calroegen,
Historian of Ancient Raumathar

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000