Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Impiltur in Dragon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A while ago when there was that awesome run of Realms content in Dragon magazine, Erik Mona talked about future Realms articles and one that he mentioned was about Impiltur. Has anyone heard about this article and when it is going to be published?

Swordsage

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  02:14:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you can imagine, I'm interested in this also. Anyone who heads over to the PAIZO site heard anything? Oh, and "Go Impiltur!".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  03:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are the best sources for information on Impiltur? The information in Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valour has really piqued my interest.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  04:07:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard anything, and I cruise there fairly regularly, but than again, I tend not to start FR threads because the "Greyhawk Elite" seem to feel compelled to takes shots at Elminster and Drizzt in every FR thread, at some point in time, even if the topic is not related in any way shape or form with said NPCs.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  05:13:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

What are the best sources for information on Impiltur? The information in Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valour has really piqued my interest.

1e/2e/3e FRCS
City of Ravens Bluff
Sea of Fallen Stars
Pirates of the Fallen Stars
And it is updated in Unapproachable East on the last page of the book.

Additionally, Eric also told me a while back that he hopes "the combination of Impiltur lore in Champions of Ruin and Champions of Valor serves as a "mini-setting" for DMs interested in running an Impiltur-based campaign."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Dec 2005 05:18:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  05:16:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and a little "extra" spice from George "Impiltur Rocks!" Krashos -

"I could give you my thoughts re Impiltur, but space doesn't permit. Personally, I'd steer away from real-earth analogues. Impiltur is the way it is because of the lingering, evil legacy of Narfell and the effect the Fiend Wars/Triad Crusade had on its development as the realm it is today. Impiltur is a paradox. Guided by the tenets of the Triad, and embracing all 'goodly' acts, the realm is xenophobic, suspicious of all things 'strange' or 'different' (which may indicate a fiendish taint/possession) and hesitant/fearful to trust or deal with 'outlanders'. There are LOTS of undercurrents in the kingdom. Many fiend cults/cells exist, subverting nobles and commoners alike. There has been huge dynastic upheaval which has meant that Impiltur has unconsciously developed a policy of isolationism in all matters save trade. It is a realm that is threatened internally (demonic subversion, those who oppose essentially theocratic rule) and externally (the ambitions of Thay, the machinations of Soneillon, the threat of the hobgoblin hordes) and so has a martial/warlike attitude and posture - at odds with its underlying belief system founded on the Triadic faiths. Impiltur is a very complex place. Hopefully one day we'll get the vehicle to explore it in greater detail.

-- George Krashos"

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  14:38:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree, Impiltur is a great place to run a campaign, especially if you step it back a few years. Holy Knights trying to run a country beleagured by the ghosts of the past. Their throne is anything but stable, and there are secret intrigues brewing below the surface. Meanwhile, the cities were joined together in common accord years ago because of hordes of hobgoblins, but the further you get from the capitol, the less you feel like you are really part of Impiltur. Then you have the looming issues of Damara right above you, who have just recently been through a hellish war followed by a hellish civil war followed by a cleansing of the countryside of goblinoids.
I ran a short Impiltur based campaign years back when Dreams of the Red Wizards was just coming out. This was before the city of King's Reach had had any canon information written up about it. It was actually in this city that I first introduced Sleyvas (which in later iterations, this became one of his "clone" children to explain away some inconsistencies). To this day, I still like my variation of King's Reach over the side blurb that was put out. I'd had a fallen knight of Impiltur come to King's Reach and free them from the tyrannical rule of the jerk that was over the city. He then ran the thieve's guild out (they were cutting into his profits). The people of the city loved him for these things, but they didn't know that he was really a dark person. When he fed them lies about the corruption in Impiltur, they ate it up willingly. Thus, he named the city King's Reach... stating that it was outside the King's Reach (that of Rilimbrar, which until recently I don't think there had been a date of his death established).
Anyway, though my campaign was set outside of Impiltur, the party was working as heralds trying to establish good will with the citizen's of King's Reach (for trade purposes due to piracy in the sea of Fallen stars). Though the party never got as far into the politics as I had written (2nd edition came out and we began a new group), I really had fun with the development. If your interested you can even download it from the candlekeep library. The general ideas from a quick scan should be of use, but some of the back history might need some rewriting (i.e. Impiltur never had a purge against lyncanthropes in canon history, but I'm sure you can come up with some other dark and nasty deed for Ulivur Blackraven to have performed).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  05:25:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, what do you know . . . I got a reply back from Erik Mona on the Paizo boards regarding this very topic. Gotta love that guy:

The first draft of the Impiltur article is finished and sitting on my floor waiting for me to finish a freelance project so I can get to it.

It's meaty.

--Erik

--Erik Mona, Paizo Boards, 12/29/2005
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  05:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm not going to run an Impiltur campaign (yet!) but I want to use the info as part of a wider Unapproachable East game. However, a decent Dragon article could sway me....

You have to love the East...!

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  09:00:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey, what do you know . . . I got a reply back from Erik Mona on the Paizo boards regarding this very topic. Gotta love that guy:

The first draft of the Impiltur article is finished and sitting on my floor waiting for me to finish a freelance project so I can get to it.

It's meaty.

--Erik

--Erik Mona, Paizo Boards, 12/29/2005

I like the sound of that. More on Impiltur... more I say!

This will make Krash happy .

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  09:05:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I like the sound of that. More on Impiltur... more I say!

This will make Krash happy .

Nah, it will make him want more. Dragons are greedy.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  02:47:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, a change in diet from Jaezred Chaulssin would be nice. I'd love to sink my fangs into some meaty Impiltur material. Unfortunately, if Erik's looking at something now, it's unlikely to be published until mid to end 2006. I've been a patient boy, I can wait a little longer yet.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  18:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any news on this article?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  19:49:50  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you guys want to see what I'm doing with Impiltur in my 20 year Realms game, I posted the campaign in it's entirity on Running the Realms. I put a long space in in case my players hit these boards, which they really don't do.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  11:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I have to agree, Impiltur is a great place to run a campaign, especially if you step it back a few years. Holy Knights trying to run a country beleagured by the ghosts of the past. Their throne is anything but stable, and there are secret intrigues brewing below the surface. Meanwhile, the cities were joined together in common accord years ago because of hordes of hobgoblins, but the further you get from the capitol, the less you feel like you are really part of Impiltur. Then you have the looming issues of Damara right above you, who have just recently been through a hellish war followed by a hellish civil war followed by a cleansing of the countryside of goblinoids.

I agree, it's a great area and the time period of 1368-1375 DR is hectic, which is good for adventures.

Just out of interest, do you have the date of the Damaran 'cleansing', so I can tie it into the goblionoid horde coming south in my campaign?

quote:

To this day, I still like my variation of King's Reach over the side blurb that was put out. I'd had a fallen knight of Impiltur come to King's Reach and free them from the tyrannical rule of the jerk that was over the city. He then ran the thieve's guild out (they were cutting into his profits). The people of the city loved him for these things, but they didn't know that he was really a dark person. When he fed them lies about the corruption in Impiltur, they ate it up willingly. Thus, he named the city King's Reach... stating that it was outside the King's Reach (that of Rilimbrar, which until recently I don't think there had been a date of his death established).

I'm interested in using, at least, the name Ulivur Blackraven and the part of the background where he is an exiled (maybe even fallen) knight from Impiltur with a personally loyal mercenary band of mounted warriors. The Vast and Impiltur are very natural allies and it's interesting to have a sympathetic town in the Vast, fairly close to Impiltur, where the ruler is considered a criminal and blackguard by the Council of Imphras II in Impiltur.

For my purposes, I would make his arrival recent and probably make him a Lord Protector or the equivalent, a strong warlord invited in by the populace to defend them from the many wars, dragons and other horrors of 1369-1373 DR. I might even link his assumption of the title to the Warlord Myrkyssa Jelan, with the Darkriders Mercenary Company having defended King's Reach during that war.

Obviously, King's Reach was not named Damask before this, as it has been named the King's Reach from the days of Roldilar, the Realm of Glimmering Swords (610-649 DR). Equally obviously, there was no one named Sam on the throne there at any time, though a greedy despot named Duukoth is a possibility, maybe as a previous Mayor, Baron or other title.

The listed population of 29,000 (winter low) / 41,000 (summer high) +1,500 dwarves is far too much for any kind of town. That's a city, specifically a metropolis in D&D settlement terms, and while King's Reach is a rich, prosperous and well-defended town of the Vast, it's still a town and not one of the big cities there.

By D&D terms, anything bigger than 5,000 is a small city, not a town, so that would seem to be the upper bound of population. I don't personally have any objection to the population effectively doubling in the summers, due to heavy caravan traffic. In fact, I imagine that many times the population of King's Reach actually passes through it every summer, but around 5,000 is a nice WAG for how many of them are staying in the city at any given time during summer.

The fertile lands on the south shore of the River Vesper reach at least five miles east of the city. To the west, we can include ten miles, but any longer than that will tend to yield its own settlements and is no longer part of King's Reach hinterlands. There are lands north of the river and further east than five miles, but these are apparently much less fertile and obviously less secure from raids. They support some population, no doubt, but are less likely to produce a food surplus usable to feed town dwellers or travellers.

Let's assume that just the half-circle centered 2.5 miles west of King's Reach, on the south bank of the Vesper River, produces a food surplus. A fairly plausible farmer population of that half-circle of hinterland would be 10,000 people, who would be prosperously self-sufficient, and produce a surplus enough for 5,000-6,000 people in King's Reach at yields close to normal for medieval Earth.

Given the higher yields in Faerun (Chauntea, Eldath, Selune, priests, druids, rangers, better farming science, etc.), I think it's more likely that they could theoretically support about 32,000 people in total from this hinterland, meaning themselves and 22,000 townspeople, travellers and miners living further away.

The rest of the south shore to the east out to ten miles from King's Reach and the northern shore would have a much lower population density and worse yields. I imagine that to the east, there would be wealthy ranchers and less prosperous shepherds, maybe around 300 people in total, but producing a sizable surplus of meat that could feed 600 more people.

North of the River Vesper, we could have anywhere from one to five thousand people living within ten miles of King's Reach, yet not in the walled town itself. I lean toward the lower number, mostly because of the risks, and I assume that they are mostly stockmen, hunters and people involved in catering to the mines. These people produce a surplus of at least their own numbers, meaning that if we assume 1,500 people, they can feed 1,500 more in the town or the mines.

This gives us a theoretical carrying capacity of 35,900 people. In fact, only about 5,000 people would live as permanent residents of King's Reach and 11,800 live in the hinterland within 10 miles of it. The greater King's Reach area can thus have a population of 16,800 (low), going up to 21,800 (summer high) during the caravan season. That still leaves a lot of food surplus for export, both down the River Vesper and with the caravans to the north.

Permanent homes for 5,000 people within the walls and some provision for 5,000 more people during the summer means that it would probably be possible for everyone living in the hinterland to pack themselves within the walls in a siege situation. The bridges can also be defended to provide a fortified position around the most valuable hinterland, making King's Reach very suitable for such a dangerous area.

quote:

The general ideas from a quick scan should be of use, but some of the back history might need some rewriting (i.e. Impiltur never had a purge against lyncanthropes in canon history, but I'm sure you can come up with some other dark and nasty deed for Ulivur Blackraven to have performed).

With the canon that has been revealed since you wrote this, how would you change your proposed King's Reach if you still wanted to retain Ulivur Blackraven?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 17 Aug 2018 11:48:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  13:55:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

I agree, it's a great area and the time period of 1368-1375 DR is hectic, which is good for adventures.

Just out of interest, do you have the date of the Damaran 'cleansing', so I can tie it into the goblionoid horde coming south in my campaign?

quote:

To this day, I still like my variation of King's Reach over the side blurb that was put out. I'd had a fallen knight of Impiltur come to King's Reach and free them from the tyrannical rule of the jerk that was over the city. He then ran the thieve's guild out (they were cutting into his profits). The people of the city loved him for these things, but they didn't know that he was really a dark person. When he fed them lies about the corruption in Impiltur, they ate it up willingly. Thus, he named the city King's Reach... stating that it was outside the King's Reach (that of Rilimbrar, which until recently I don't think there had been a date of his death established).

I'm interested in using, at least, the name Ulivur Blackraven and the part of the background where he is an exiled (maybe even fallen) knight from Impiltur with a personally loyal mercenary band of mounted warriors. The Vast and Impiltur are very natural allies and it's interesting to have a sympathetic town in the Vast, fairly close to Impiltur, where the ruler is considered a criminal and blackguard by the Council of Imphras II in Impiltur.

For my purposes, I would make his arrival recent and probably make him a Lord Protector or the equivalent, a strong warlord invited in by the populace to defend them from the many wars, dragons and other horrors of 1369-1373 DR. I might even link his assumption of the title to the Warlord Myrkyssa Jelan, with the Darkriders Mercenary Company having defended King's Reach during that war.

Obviously, King's Reach was not named Damask before this, as it has been named the King's Reach from the days of Roldilar, the Realm of Glimmering Swords (610-649 DR). Equally obviously, there was no one named Sam on the throne there at any time, though a greedy despot named Duukoth is a possibility, maybe as a previous Mayor, Baron or other title.

The listed population of 29,000 (winter low) / 41,000 (summer high) +1,500 dwarves is far too much for any kind of town. That's a city, specifically a metropolis in D&D settlement terms, and while King's Reach is a rich, prosperous and well-defended town of the Vast, it's still a town and not one of the big cities there.

By D&D terms, anything bigger than 5,000 is a small city, not a town, so that would seem to be the upper bound of population. I don't personally have any objection to the population effectively doubling in the summers, due to heavy caravan traffic. In fact, I imagine that many times the population of King's Reach actually passes through it every summer, but around 5,000 is a nice WAG for how many of them are staying in the city at any given time during summer.

The fertile lands on the south shore of the River Vesper reach at least five miles east of the city. To the west, we can include ten miles, but any longer than that will tend to yield its own settlements and is no longer part of King's Reach hinterlands. There are lands north of the river and further east than five miles, but these are apparently much less fertile and obviously less secure from raids. They support some population, no doubt, but are less likely to produce a food surplus usable to feed town dwellers or travellers.

Let's assume that just the half-circle centered 2.5 miles west of King's Reach, on the south bank of the Vesper River, produces a food surplus. A fairly plausible farmer population of that half-circle of hinterland would be 10,000 people, who would be prosperously self-sufficient, and produce a surplus enough for 5,000-6,000 people in King's Reach at yields close to normal for medieval Earth.

Given the higher yields in Faerun (Chauntea, Eldath, Selune, priests, druids, rangers, better farming science, etc.), I think it's more likely that they could theoretically support about 32,000 people in total from this hinterland, meaning themselves and 22,000 townspeople, travellers and miners living further away.

The rest of the south shore to the east out to ten miles from King's Reach and the northern shore would have a much lower population density and worse yields. I imagine that to the east, there would be wealthy ranchers and less prosperous shepherds, maybe around 300 people in total, but producing a sizable surplus of meat that could feed 600 more people.

North of the River Vesper, we could have anywhere from one to five thousand people living within ten miles of King's Reach, yet not in the walled town itself. I lean toward the lower number, mostly because of the risks, and I assume that they are mostly stockmen, hunters and people involved in catering to the mines. These people produce a surplus of at least their own numbers, meaning that if we assume 1,500 people, they can feed 1,500 more in the town or the mines.

This gives us a theoretical carrying capacity of 35,900 people. In fact, only about 5,000 people would live as permanent residents of King's Reach and 11,800 live in the hinterland within 10 miles of it. The greater King's Reach area can thus have a population of 16,800 (low), going up to 21,800 (summer high) during the caravan season. That still leaves a lot of food surplus for export, both down the River Vesper and with the caravans to the north.

Permanent homes for 5,000 people within the walls and some provision for 5,000 more people during the summer means that it would probably be possible for everyone living in the hinterland to pack themselves within the walls in a siege situation. The bridges can also be defended to provide a fortified position around the most valuable hinterland, making King's Reach very suitable for such a dangerous area.

quote:

The general ideas from a quick scan should be of use, but some of the back history might need some rewriting (i.e. Impiltur never had a purge against lyncanthropes in canon history, but I'm sure you can come up with some other dark and nasty deed for Ulivur Blackraven to have performed).

With the canon that has been revealed since you wrote this, how would you change your proposed King's Reach if you still wanted to retain Ulivur Blackraven?

Wow, I wrote that in 2005. Where has the time gone.

Thanks. Yeah, I wrote up what's in the candlekeep library (history wise at least) going on probably 30 years ago (I was a junior in high school still). So, the 2nd edition books weren't out yet. Having already had the history, I want to say that the old Forgotten Realms Adventures was a guide to the layout and format. The population numbers were just a swag against the numbers I saw back then. I also think that I updated any stats I have for characters in that article to 2nd edition (haven't read it in forever).

Even though its now so long later, I still like the idea that King's Reach has some kind of city there. The official information from some Polyhedron article and later incorporated in some old TSR product has it that King's Reach is just a mining town with a bunch of prospectors looking for gold. I would probably "nowadays" (aka in 5e) have the city become a "recent" development since just before the ToT. I would have it that those prospectors actually DID discover a rich gold vein, and maybe some other metals of even more value (adamantine, mithril, arandur, Hiazagkuur, etc...) or some kind of gems. Not enough to make this an amazing boomtown, but enough that it can have a castle, etc...

I'd then have Ulivur Blackraven still ruling, having obtained great age somehow... maybe he became a death knight... maybe he's blessed in some other way that doesn't involve undeath.... maybe he's periodically making clones of himself (possibly with the help of his "clone" son.. see below).... and I'd have him have built a sizable fortress city here.

Meanwhile, one of the things I've personally been developing in the area is the idea that during the Thayan Civil War, Mulan peoples came to Mulmaster, and they started buying up land in the vast south of Maskyr's eye. Specifically, Dmitra Flass was channeling her own funds into doing this, and she was moving loyal servants who were not meant for war onto these lands. They specifically bought up land all around Blanaer (a city known for stinking and herding cattle) and Kurth (a backwater caravan stop known as a place for pirates to retire to), and they start making these places "respectable" and "profitable". I was then going to link those two places with the mountain pass that connects to King's Reach, and have a kind of small and remote place where Thayans are setting up a new society. This society would also interact with the 4 or 5 enclaves that dot around the vast and moonsea as well. My thoughts were that those enclaves would break away from Tam's influence and swear allegiance to the Zulkir's in exile (specifically Samas Kul, since he was alive up until 1478... so only I think 11 to 13 years have passed since Samas Kul was still in charge of the Guild of Foreign trade, and in 1478 he was still presented as fabulously wealthy due to the enclaves).

When I made the "clone" child of Sleyvas (think it was Sleyvarras… maybe Sleyvallas… I had about 6...), the idea was that Sleyvas had hit upon a similar type of ritual as that used to create Alias. It required a set of 3 "parents" to provide genetic material (and Sleyvas was using "bits" of hair, etc... from his "then" dead wife Melarra… long story... as one of the three), and he chose Ulivur Blackraven because the man was a powerful warrior with a similar mindset to his own. Essentially, this first "child" turned from Sleyvas and turned to his other "father" Ulivur Blackraven, because he felt like his understood the man better. It was very cheesy, very ham-fisted work, but hey, I was 16 and the realms was very new. HOWEVER, since this "clone" child is essentially something like a "living construct" made of flesh, I'd have him ageless and still around and still serving his "father" Ulivur Blackraven to keep the city safe. I'd also have him much higher in level, and I would also having interacting with his other "father" … Sleyvas... who has since then become a "living" artifact known as "The Red Book of Spell Strategy" which is an artifact blessed by both the Red Knight and Deneir and serves the gods of magic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  14:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was asking about the period 1368-1375 DR in my post. My campaign is set in 1373 DR and some PCs are riding into King's Reach in Mirtul 1373 DR.

Also, even with the much better agricultural yields that land in the Realms gets because of the magic of nature priests, druids, hedge wizards, etc., King's Reach and its hinterland will not support more than 35,900 people (average over the year).

As the area is supposed to export food to Calaunt, miners in the Earthspurs and caravans, you can't really fit any kind of large city there. Building a few watch keeps at the edges of the hinterlands and developing them further might allow you to have 20,000 people in the hinterland feeding about 20,000 people in a small walled city of King's Reach in the 5e era.

Of course, cities can import food, but it makes little sense for King's Reach to do so. Basically, there is no reason for there to be an overly large city there, as the settlement basically exists to defend the farmers that feed people in the Earthspurs, to export food down the River Vesper and to provide smelting and other services to the miners.

If there are very rich mines, you could build a series of fortresses for the miners and farmers to move into during times of war with the orcs and other threats around, but that's a different issue than the urban area developing a larger population during peacetime. Basically, too many people living inside King's Reach, instead of at farms or near mines in the surrounding area, where they can contribute economically, is just a waste of resources, as most craftsmen or people in other city-based professions could just as easily live in a city by the sea on the Dragon Reach, which is cheaper and more comfortable.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  01:04:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragondex shows "Impiltur: The Forgotten Kingdom" by George Krashos in #346
FRindex shows #213, #269, #307 and and Dragon Annual 4 listed for "Impiltur".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000